Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/2/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Sunny is so full of shit it oozes out of every pore, she knows she's on the wrong side of this one & is keeping her real opinion to herself, probably doesn't want Whoopi doing a Will Smith on her ass.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MMEButterfly said:

I'm pretty oblivious, but I think I would have noticed. I did know quite a few women who had prescriptive d and cs though. 

I was pretty young when Roe was decided, so I didn't know people who sought abortions prior to the ruling. After Roe, however, I think that the hope was that improvements in birth control technology would obviate the need for abortions. I later worked in clinics providing family planning information and supplies, and while many women used birth control it was a little dismaying that some chose not to use it (for a variety of reasons, solid as well as trivial) and unfortunately did rely on abortions when they became pregnant.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Sunny is so full of shit it oozes out of every pore, she knows she's on the wrong side of this one & is keeping her real opinion to herself, probably doesn't want Whoopi doing a Will Smith on her ass.

I'm just glad SWSNBN was not there.   She would not have had the good sense to be as diplomatic as Sunny.   And no telling how Whoopi would have reacted to her.

2 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I was pretty young when Roe was decided, so I didn't know people who sought abortions prior to the ruling. After Roe, however, I think that the hope was that improvements in birth control technology would obviate the need for abortions. I later worked in clinics providing family planning information and supplies, and while many women used birth control it was a little dismaying that some chose not to use it (for a variety of reasons, solid as well as trivial) and unfortunately did rely on abortions when they became pregnant.

The abortion rate has dropped significantly since the ACA made insurance companies cover birth control with $0 copay.   But that doesn't get publicized much.  

But there will always be those who can't or won't take birth control or those that need abortion services for medical reasons for planned/wanted pregnancies.   

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, After7Only said:

But there will always be those who can't or won't take birth control or those that need abortion services for medical reasons for planned/wanted pregnancies.   

The only women I know who have had abortions (or more accurately the only women who I know of who have had abortions) all had them to end wanted pregnancies that, sadly, were not going to go full term for various reasons.

• Love 5

Going back to Monday for a moment - who dresses these women ?

Whoopi was dressed for winter. 

Ana was dressed for autumn. 

Joy and Sunny were dressed for Spring.

Sara was dressed for Cinderella's ball. 

Going Back to Monday for another moment -

If they wish to point out that May is "Asian Pacific American Heritage Month" , and they are celebrating on 'The View', then maybe their garage sale should be only small businesses owned by APA people ?  Believe me, those businesses are not exactly hard to find.  All they need to do is visit the retail  and jewelry trade shows in NYC, Las Vegas, Atlanta, San Francisco, Boston, Dallas, etc. and they will find hundreds of products to push this month - candles, clothing, accessories, bath and body, foods, beverages, etc.  

Do the producers even think ?  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, GloccaMorra said:

They wish to point out that May is "Asian Pacific American Heritage Month" , and they are celebrating on 'The View', then maybe their garage sale should be only small businesses owned by APA people ?  

I love our nickname for View Your Deal. 😂

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Trust me.  You know women who have had elective abortions but  you just aren't aware of it.

Yes! Women have abortions for many reasons, but in our society, we feel we have to justify our reasons if we admit it. I know women who have had abortions who vote against other women having abortions. They think their abortions were *different and totally justified but will say nonsense like other women who have them are just using them for birth control. Studies show that one in four women has had an abortion. We all know women who have had abortions for a variety of reasons. They just don't tell us about it because of the judgment they will get-spoken or unspoken.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

hyperbole implies that the statements are exaggerated and not meant to be taken literally.  I think what she has to say about abortion and what it was like before Roe is truth and most definitely not hyperbole.  Part of the reason we are here with this likely ruling is because we didn't see enough passion and people pretended like nothing was going to change things.  

Stepping over women in public restrooms everywhere giving themselves abortions?  That's not hyperbole?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Stepping over women in public restrooms everywhere giving themselves abortions?  That's not hyperbole?

I’d say that we don’t really know what happened then…especially in poor neighborhoods.  Was that an exaggeration…perhaps.  But that doesn’t at all negate everything she said, which I thought was pretty well said and passionate and true. Maybe folks weren’t stepping over people but I’m sure that many were found in public bathrooms after attempting one.   Nor does it negate her point, which was that pre Roe it was bad out there for people needing abortions.  And many women died (or permanently injured)from botched, back room or self done abortions. This is an issue that screams for the kind of stuff Whoopie said to drive home the real issues here.  

• Love 24

I did like Jennifer Grey’s bit. For years we didn’t know what exactly went down with her and Swayze during Red Dawn that caused the friction between them before they made Dirty Dancing, so it was interesting to hear the full story. I remember watching her break down in Dancing with the Stars when she remembered what it was like working with him, and it got me emotional.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Trust me.  You know women who have had elective abortions but  you just aren't aware of it.

I'm sure most do but it's not anyones right to tell them they can't because of an outdated belief system least of all any man. As with most other things it's the poorest who will suffer the most while the well off who wanted the ban will travel to get an abortion and pretend that they were on vacation.

If the law is changed it will prove yet again that the loudest & most self righteous minority get their way  while the majority who just get on with life quietly get fucked over. Things like this should be put to the people not decided by a miniscule group of people answerable to nobody and who have a job for life as proved by Clarence Thomas and his despicable wife.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 13

" Actress Whoopi Goldberg speaks on having 7 abortions by the age of 25"  

Seventh time's the charm.  You'd think if she had her first abortion at the age of 14 she'd have wised up and gone to a free clinc for birth control.  I know she said she became pregnant while on the pill but you'd think she'd have figured out it was not working for her by the third or fourth pregnancy and seek alternative methods or possibly have her partner(s) share the responsiblity.

Roe v Wade passed when she was 17 so she had six safe and legal abortions.

Disclaimer:  During the other six abortions no wire hangers were harmed in the not-making of this baby.  Whew!  Joan Crawford's pissed but whatevs.

Back to the garden I go.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Oh absolutely.  And contrary to what the anti-choice advocates would like to believe you really can't tell -- no scarlet letter.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

" Actress Whoopi Goldberg speaks on having 7 abortions by the age of 25"  

Seventh time's the charm.  You'd think if she had her first abortion at the age of 14 she'd have wised up and gone to a free clinc for birth control.  I know she said she became pregnant while on the pill but you'd think she'd have figured out it was not working for her by the third or fourth pregnancy and seek alternative methods or possibly have her partner(s) share the responsiblity.

Roe v Wade passed when she was 17 so she had six safe and legal abortions.

Disclaimer:  During the other six abortions no wire hangers were harmed in the not-making of this baby.  Whew!  Joan Crawford's pissed but whatevs.

Back to the garden I go.

Teens don't always make the best choices, especially if they're dealing with emotionally fraught issues. Whoopi might not have known all the options available to her; I can't imagine what it must have been like for a middle schooler to try to self-administer an abortion. Whoopi's fear of this slippery slope makes sense, and I thought her point about being able to humanize people seeking abortions was a valid one.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Good points. I would feel the same. I think one problem with this issue has been confusing messages. It would have been easier if Americans generally supported various effective methods of birth control. I understand there are faiths that oppose methods of birth control. I support their right for themselves but they muddy the story. Even on the show the women had to speak out to (perhaps) the level of hyperbole or they failed to focus upon the over all issue of health care for women in childbearing years. 

2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Yes.  And it is nobodies business

It is nobody's business, but we women are so darn awkward talking about it--just as the women on the panel were today. We can discuss it academically, perhaps. But personal experiences of ourselves or other women whom we love are difficult. We lose our clarity. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Still hate cooking segments.  Oh, it’s a long ad.

My nightmare for this show, devolving into daytime drivel. Let the dumb shows do cooking ads, I mean segments. Keep this show Smart! 

(edited)

Someone should have jumped in and corrected Lindsay Granger when she claimed that the Supreme Court decision wouldn’t happen until the summer. That made it sound months away. I gather it actually could happen as early as the middle of next month which is not even summer, at least technically. She also somehow left out Texas as one of the states which currently has anti-abortion laws.

I’m no fan of Whoopi on this show but the passion with which she expressed her view (pardon my pun) was admirable.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 15
39 minutes ago, MMEButterfly said:

It is nobody's business, but we women are so darn awkward talking about it--just as the women on the panel were today. We can discuss it academically, perhaps. But personal experiences of ourselves or other women whom we love are difficult. We lose our clarity. 

It's gotten better but there is still the risk of being stigmatized by telling people you had an abortion.  I can only speak for myself but I never had a problem telling people I exercised my right to choose.  I tell people when it's relevant to the conversation I'm having such as this one.  Whoopi isn't always the most graceful speaker but today her passion was needed and appreciated.  

• Love 15
(edited)
8 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

I'm pretty oblivious, but I think I would have noticed. I did know quite a few women who had prescriptive d and cs though. 

My father was an OB-GYN (from 1954-1992) with middle-class patients, most of whom had health insurance.  At the dinner table Mom (a nurse) routinely asked how his day went and there seemed to be 1-2 D & C's a week, probably more. Once the pill came along he got extra oncology training and took on cancer patients instead. 

Poor people without health insurance used coat hangers or went to back street abortionists. Those are the people Whoopi was talking about.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
(edited)

Women who already had 3-4 kids sometimes had D&Cs (early-term abortions), so they could give the kids they had a better start in life. A couple of Catholic mothers asked if he could nick a fallopian tube or something during the Caesarian delivery of child #10.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 6

Some of us have mentioned Perfect Sunny's mispronunciations recently.  Today I'm SURE I heard/saw her pronounce FAITH as FAFE...twice.  She was discussing the Political Supreme Court "scoop, Roe vs. Wade, abortion, and her Catholic "fafe."  She has worked hard to have a non-regional accent and pronunciations.  Did anyone else notice?

• Love 1
On 4/30/2022 at 7:03 PM, ForumLou said:

But since she's left, and gone through the troubles that she has, she's much more personable. imho. 

Wish I'd followed her after The View.  I liked her--thought she got a raw deal.  I know nothing about "the troubles that she has."

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Some of us have mentioned Perfect Sunny's mispronunciations recently.  Today I'm SURE I heard/saw her pronounce FAITH as FAFE...twice.  She was discussing the Political Supreme Court "scoop, Roe vs. Wade, abortion, and her Catholic "fafe."  She has worked hard to have a non-regional accent and pronunciations.  Did anyone else notice?

Nope.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Um, no, Lindsey, Biden cannot end the filibuster. No, he cannot issue an executive order about it.  Please stick to the topic and quit talking so fast. It does not help prove your point.  And you go, Sunny, use this issue to get senators to vote for the women's protection act.

Ha!  And she retracts.

Yesterday I was thinking Lindsey isn’t so bad. Today I remember why I didn’t like her last time she was on.

Omigosh, Joy quoted one of my senators. I’d have plenty to say but don’t want to get banned. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
8 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Lindsey really makes the most of her allotted time doesn’t she?

Ironically, yesterday on DBL (Lindsey is one of six rotating co-hosts), her three female co-hosts were discussing this issue. All of them (Samantha Schacher, Tory Shulman and Erica Cobb) were so passionate and full of empathy. It was riveting TV.

I don't recall Lindsey ever being so self-righteous on DBL as she is here. Good on Sara jumping in the way she did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Prairie Rose said:

Ironically, yesterday on DBL (Lindsey is one of six rotating co-hosts), her three female co-hosts were discussing this issue. All of them (Samantha Schacher, Tory Shulman and Erica Cobb) were so passionate and full of empathy. It was riveting TV.

I don't recall Lindsey ever being so self-righteous on DBL as she is here. Good on Sara jumping in the way she did.

Lindsay has always been my least favorite DBL host; she just seems so dull compared to the others. The other ladies show so much personality compared to her. I wish the others would get a chance to cohost. Tory would make a great cohost should Joy ever decide to retire. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Lindsay has always been my least favorite DBL host; she just seems so dull compared to the others. The other ladies show so much personality compared to her. I wish the others would get a chance to cohost. Tory would make a great cohost should Joy ever decide to retire. 

Of those four, I still can't figure out how Lindsey was the one picked here. Sam Schacher could teach Whoopi a thing or two about how to moderate a panel discussion.

• Love 3

I don't think I have ever wanted to reach through the television and shake someone like I did today when Lindsey went on her anti-Biden rant. 

MM didn't ever raise my blood pressure like this wingding did today.   I admit I am sensitive after the latest round of taking women's rights away but really jump on the guy that is trying to fight against the party that is taking us back to the 1600's?

• Love 10
15 hours ago, deirdra said:

My father was an OB-GYN (from 1954-1992) with middle-class patients, most of whom had health insurance.  At the dinner table Mom (a nurse) routinely asked how his day went and there seemed to be 1-2 D & C's a week, probably more. Once the pill came along he got extra oncology training and took on cancer patients instead. 

Poor people without health insurance used coat hangers or went to back street abortionists. Those are the people Whoopi was talking about.

Yes, my father was an MD practicing then but not OB-GYN. But this was exactly the situation. Middle class and wealthy women could "take care of it" more easily then than now in many parts of our country. The poor suffered. 

• Love 6

When I see Paula Farris, all I can think of is the time when she revealed that her dream was to open a Crisis Pregnancy Center (for those unfamiliar, their goal is to trick women into not having abortions). I do not need to see her stupid face on tv right now. Fuck her and the limo she rode in on.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
On 5/2/2022 at 12:02 PM, Haleth said:

I started to comment about both then decided I really didn’t care enough to bother. 

Yeah, this too.

Gee, neither Sunny or Ana mentioned seeing SWSNBN at the WHCD, or the joke told at her expense. 

The joke was epic!  I literally laughed out loud!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Edited 23 hours ago by Welshman in Ca

I used to like her but lately she seems to be on some super-sanctimonious high horse. Sometimes she acts dead ringer for some uptight Victorian lady, staggering to her fainting couch, clutching the pearls.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, limestation said:

I used to like her but lately she seems to be on some super-sanctimonious high horse. Sometimes she acts dead ringer for some uptight Victorian lady, staggering to her fainting couch, clutching the pearls.

Should each of us drink a shot if she says, "the vapors, the vapors!"? 😉😂

• LOL 1
43 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

I don't think I have ever wanted to reach through the television and shake someone like I did today when Lindsey went on her anti-Biden rant. 

MM didn't ever raise my blood pressure like this wingding did today.   I admit I am sensitive after the latest round of taking women's rights away but really jump on the guy that is trying to fight against the party that is taking us back to the 1600's?

She's a fucking idiotic lunatic who thinks she knows what she's on about.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yesterday I was thinking Lindsey isn’t so bad. Today I remember why I didn’t like her last time she was on.

Lindsey must be an IDIOT.  She failed on her first appearance...and now she wants to come back?  She probably had some strong COACHING and then agents/managers BEGGING to let her back on the show.  EXCUSES:

• She wasn't given a fair a chance the first time
  • She wasn't her best self
  • She's JUST what The View needs...please let her try again

She's an idiot who can't get over herself enough to make it through auditions.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GloccaMorra said:

I'm so glad they had an infomercial yesterday for the Brava ovens - and you can save $200! Which tells you it's more expensive than one can afford. 

THIRTEEN HUNNERT DOLLAHS!!!

• LOL 2
On 5/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, bluegirl147 said:
On 5/3/2022 at 10:54 AM, SusanM said:

The only women I know who have had abortions (or more accurately the only women who I know of who have had abortions) all had them to end wanted pregnancies that, sadly, were not going to go full term for various reasons.

In the 70s/80s when I was in my 30s/40s...a lot of "wink-wink" began when D&Cs were mentioned.   

• Love 2

Big Paula Faris fan.  At least I was.  I think she came off as unhappy and a bit desperate. Just my unqualified opinion.  Bless her heart.

Whoopi sure did give her a HUGE welcome!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Big Paula Faris fan.  At least I was.  I think she came off as unhappy and a bit desperate. Just my unqualified opinion.  Bless her heart.

Whoopi sure did give her a HUGE welcome!

She does seem sad. Trying too hard to convince everyone she loves living in SC and doesn’t mind being fired from ABC(which she mentioned twice).

• Love 3