Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/2/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

That was Lindsey's definition of Sunny's stance.  Lindsey probably thinks "Pro-Choice" always means pro-abortion. Isn't Sunny's Pro-Choice personal definition "Every woman should follow her conscience.  I'm a Roman Cath-o-lic and I oppose abortion"?  I don't think I've heard her advocate for abortion--and I'm not a Sunny fan.   (A similar example: Pro-Life doesn't rally against death sentences.)  There are nuances in every belief.

Lindsey was going by what Sunny said earlier during the segment.  Sunny started with 'As you all know, I'm a devout Catholic but since joining the show five years ago I learned a lot from everyone and consider myself pro-choice' (not sure if that's the exact quote). 

So Lindsey is correct - "Devout Catholic / Pro-Choice" is as much of an oxymoron as 'Black Female / Republican' and 'Latina / Republican'. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GloccaMorra said:

For hosts, it was for last season. So : Whoopi, Joy, Sara, Sunny and Meghan. 

And Ana Navarro.

2 hours ago, GloccaMorra said:

Lindsey was going by what Sunny said earlier during the segment.  Sunny started with 'As you all know, I'm a devout Catholic but since joining the show five years ago I learned a lot from everyone and consider myself pro-choice' (not sure if that's the exact quote). 

So Lindsey is correct - "Devout Catholic / Pro-Choice" is as much of an oxymoron as 'Black Female / Republican' and 'Latina / Republican'. 

Not at all. That would only be the case if being a Catholic meant forcing your religion onto non-Catholics, but that isn't one of its tenets, as far as I know? Whereas Sunny's meaning when she said that about Lindsey (and I agree with her, tbh) is that the other cases involve being against your own community's interests and empowering those who want to take away their rights. It would only be the same if Sunny's position meant all Catholics were getting punished or limited in some way in spite of being Catholic herself--but nothing she said implies forcing anything on or taking anything away from her fellow Catholics in the slightest....

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And Ana Navarro.

Not at all. That would only be the case if being a Catholic meant forcing your religion onto non-Catholics, but that isn't one of its tenets, as far as I know? Whereas Sunny's meaning when she said that about Lindsey (and I agree with her, tbh) is that the other cases involve being against your own community's interests and empowering those who want to take away their rights. It would only be the same if Sunny's position meant all Catholics were getting punished or limited in some way in spite of being Catholic herself--but nothing she said implies forcing anything on or taking anything away from her fellow Catholics in the slightest....

I wish people wouldn't confuse having compassion for others and their choices with being for something you're not. You can personally dislike the idea of abortion and never have one but want every woman you care about to have access to a safe, legal one. You can be against recreational drug use but not want those who partake to be locked up. I'm agnostic but very concerned with morality and by nature a goody two-shoes. There's a lot I haven't done in my life that I would never want made illegal or judge others for doing. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

And Ana Navarro.

The Catholic Church does plenty of activism against abortion all around the country, at Planned Parenthood Centers as well as government buildings. They encourage all parishioners around the world to attend their pro-life marches and other activities.  Rallies, marches, sit-ins, etc. So yes, they are indeed forcing their beliefs onto others who are not Catholic as far as abortion goes.

Within their own community, the Church threatens  Catholics who are openly  pro-choice with ex-communication no matter what their own personal  belief is, as we recently saw with Joe Biden. Many times they follow through (I've seen it happen more than once with politicians in my state, which is heavily Catholic.)  So Sunny best keep her mouth shut before she gets a letter from her Bishop in NY  telling her she's being excommunicated for publicly advocating pro-choice, despite her personal belief and calling herself a 'devout Catholic'. That's the most sever punishment from the Church.

Lindsey was right - how can she be a devout Catholic who's publicly in favor of pro-choice, when the Church can excommunicate her ? 

• Love 1