Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Dumb Luck

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 race into action when a woman falls over her penthouse balcony. Athena investigates when a bike rider is impaled on a stop sign. Eddie begins his therapy for his PTSD and survivor’s guilt. Maddie fears the worst when Jee-Yun falls ill.

Airdate: 04/18/2022

I love when Bobby barks orders during rescues. 

Is Hen still in med school or did they drop that?

Every time I use one of those donation bins or throw trash down a trash chute, I make sure I have my keys in the opposite hand or in my pocket or bag, entirely because of what we saw. I probably wouldn’t go in after them though.

7 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

This episode really felt like old school 911. 

It did. Eddie seems like he’s on a different show though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Am I a terrible person for not feeling even the slightest bit of sympathy for the kid that was hit by the car? 

Yes. Only because he was a kid and just didn't think about what he was doing could be dangerous to others. If the guy was 30 then I probably would not have any sympathy either.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Only because he was a kid and just didn't think about what he was doing could be dangerous to others.

The kid appeared to be in the 17-18 year old range.  I don't know any kid in that age range that wouldn't realize removing a stop sign could potentially lead to accidents.  The fact that it led to his own injuries was just karma in my opinion.  I can't believe Athena spent even a moment worrying about him.  

• Love 5

I know they made a big deal about it being a 'miracle' save, and inexplicable luck, etc - but it's still hard to believe the weight and torque of catching that woman wouldn't have a) pulled Lucy out the window with her, and/or b) broken her arms or at  least dislocated something. I did grin at Karen side-eyeing the story at poker night.

Still and again, 100% over Eddie. And the Chim/Maddie drama is also getting on my last nerve now.

Is the procedure Hen performed on the stop-sign bicycler really something a paramedic would/could perform in the field?

Edited by gonzosgirrl
duplicate word
  • Love 11

Overall, this episode was one of the better ones they've had this season. It still wasn't fantastic, but it had some decent moments.

The calls this week were certainly...interesting. I didn't mind Lucy's stuff, although I'm not so sure it was endearing for her. Now, if I temporarily forget everything from her first episode, this was a good episode to develop her character. It added a layer to her character, gave her a reaction to something on the job, and she had a nice scene with Buck. Unfortunately for Lucy, all of this is still clouded from the fact that the show stupidly introduced her in a cheating arc for Buck. And then they gave her that unrealistic save in the last episode. And then she got her own scene with another guest star that probably ate up a couple of minutes that could have been used elsewhere. 

The show really blundered Lucy so far and I'm not convinced they can recover. 

Maddie and Chimney's stuff was decent, I guess. I see we're still in an arc where Maddie blames herself for everything with Jee. I also already forgot her and Chimney broke up, because their interactions haven't changed one bit.

Athena feeling sorry for the kid because he had the same shoes that Harry has? Athena, this kid almost killed a woman. He's also old enough to not steal stop signs. I didn't feel sorry for him.

Eddie's stuff definitely felt separate from the rest of the episode, but I genuinely don't hate it. His scenes with Buck were very nice (especially considering Buck's scenes outside of Eddie this half season are terrible). 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Is the procedure Hen performed on the stop-sign bicycler really something a paramedic would/could perform in the field?

She was often doing stuff like that, and at one point a doctor chewed her out about it. She applied and got into med school because she realized she DID want to do stuff like that. They showed her in class. They seem to have dropped that storyline though.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know they made a big deal about it being a 'miracle' save, and inexplicable luck, etc - but it's still hard to believe the weight and torque of catching that woman wouldn't have a) pulled Lucy out the window with her, and/or b) broken her arms or at least least dislocated something.

Heh. Yeah. Truly a "miracle"! 

11 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Am I a terrible person for not feeling even the slightest bit of sympathy for the kid that was hit by the car? 

That does not make you a terrible person.

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

The kid appeared to be in the 17-18 year old range.  I don't know any kid in that age range that wouldn't realize removing a stop sign could potentially lead to accidents.  The fact that it led to his own injuries was just karma in my opinion.  I can't believe Athena spent even a moment worrying about him.  

In the past 10-20 years, studies performed using brain imaging have shown that the human brain's decision making areas do not fully develop until about age 25 or 26. 
Laws, rules, etc. have not caught up with this knowledge.
Anyway, the kid's friend mentioned that collecting stop signs was part of a scavenger hunt. So if this was a cross-over with NBC's L&O, maybe the person who set up the scavenger hunt (and presumably charged money to enter) would be held liable. My point is, that the young men were participating in a game, with a risk of being caught and fined for a misdemeanor (as Athena pointed out). I don't think they considered people running through the stop and getting killed. 
I, OTOH, am old, and have run through a stop obscured by low hanging summer tree branches, so I also relate to your outrage, @Bulldog, while at the same time hoping the young men learned their lesson and might go on to lead more productive lives -- which is less likely to happen if they spend time in prison.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Athena feeling sorry for the kid because he had the same shoes that Harry has? Athena, this kid almost killed a woman. He's also old enough to not steal stop signs. I didn't feel sorry for him.

Yeah, but we know that the woman who was almost killed might as well had a sign on her bicycle that said "Go ahead. Kill me."
Plus, it's not like they threw the sign at her (which is what I first thought had happened).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 11

I have been rather over Eddie's PTSD issues, mainly because it feels disconnected to the rest of the show, but I cant really blame him for being so messed up. Everything that happened overseas, his ex wife who he still had feelings for dying, the near deaths of several friends and co-workers, his own near death, if I was him I would probably be close to tears every second of the day too. he and TK should form some kind of "I survive catastrophic injury and horrifying trauma every Thursday" support group. I quite liked his scene with Bobby and later with Buck, its certainly a better story for Buck than this very ill advised cheating story. I thought this was a pretty good episode, it felt more like classic 911, with wacky saves based on a theme. 

Lucy was decent this week, but its really hard to get behind her after she started her time here starting this stupid cheating story with Buck, even if it wasn't really her fault, as I don't think Buck ever mentioned having a girlfriend. I did like her scene with the other new guy where they talked about her getting into "the clique" and I am glad that the show mentioned how unfriendly they, especially Hen, have been to the new people, who's only real crime is being new. They aren't anywhere near as bad as the assholes who used to work there, who hated every woman/Black person/Asian person/Midwesterner they met, but you would think that, after their cold receptions, they would try to be more welcoming. 

I guess Hen is still in med school offscreen? I thought they might have dropped that when they decided to focus more time everyone's various personal problems.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, scruff said:

So    they just   completely  RUG  SWEPT  everything    that  Maddie    did   to     Chim  huh ?

In fairness, it was kind of a stupid storyline.

I felt bad for poor Monday and really enjoyed his talk with Lucy about how the firehouse was kind of a closed shop. 

5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, but we know that the woman who was almost killed might as well had a sign on her bicycle that said "Go ahead. Kill me."
Plus, it's not like they threw the sign at her (which is what I first thought had happened).

Yeah, have to be honest, I had little to no sympathy for the bike rider. Share the Road goes both ways - a slow bicyclist needs to be to the side of the road, not in the middle of the lane forcing traffic to go five miles an hour. For all her bitching about passing over double lines, she was intentionally forcing the issue by refusing to get out of the middle of the lane. 

I wish the plot with Eddy was going somewhere. 

I suspect Hen going to medical school will be forgotten until next year when we find out she's graduated and needs to do an internship....

2 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I did like her scene with the other new guy where they talked about her getting into "the clique" and I am glad that the show mentioned how unfriendly they, especially Hen, has been to the new people, who's only real crime was being new. They aren't anywhere near as bad as the assholes who used to work there, who hated every woman/Black person/Asian person/Midwesterner they met, but you would think that, after their cold receptions, they would try to be more welcoming. 

Genuinely surprised that Bobby allows it, to be honest. 

• Love 16

That was some real wordless acting from Angela Bassett when she spotted the shoe in the street. (Thinking about Harry rather than the stupid ass who was stealing stop signs). Damn, she's good.

When did Buck get so empathetic? He talks Lucy through her conflicted feelings after her "miracle" rescue, and then takes Eddie to see the kid HE rescued living his life (and Christopher gets to ride a horse!). He's kind of like a firefighting Rain Man. (And I hope they are forgetting that Lucy ever kissed Buck, because that was such a stupid, uncharacteristic plot move).

The theme of dumb luck was well woven in there...and explored in the scene where Jun-Yee was at the hospital. Maddie blames herself for EVERYTHING. Chim showed her that HE also has that tendency. (And how lucky was it that the barium test solved the intestine thing? I think they will be fine co-parenting, even if they don't get back together.

I liked that it was the doctor they saved from the balcony fall who operated on the stupid kid. I often think that when someone kills a doctor or nurse, they are also having an effect on how many people their intervention might have saved. 

• Love 8

Me neither.

In the past 10-20 years, studies performed using brain imaging have shown that the human brain's decision making areas do not fully develop until about age 25 or 26. 

"Fully develop" are the operative words in that . . . theory. At that age they understand the basic difference between right and wrong. I'm tired of excusing young people from bad behavior because of their under developed brains.

Yeah, have to be honest, I had little to no sympathy for the bike rider. Share the Road goes both ways - a slow bicyclist needs to be to the side of the road, not in the middle of the lane forcing traffic to go five miles an hour. For all her bitching about passing over double lines, she was intentionally forcing the issue by refusing to get out of the middle of the lane. 

Same. Bike riders in the street are an especial pet peeve of mine. This dingbat was in the middle of the lane in the dead of night acting like she owned the whole road. This episode should have been titled "Karma at work."

Ugh. I hate to say it but this show was much better off when Maddie was gone. Her story now feels like a tedious and pointless intrusion. She's not even in the 911 call center anymore. Why do we need her?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Share the Road goes both ways - a slow bicyclist needs to be to the side of the road, not in the middle of the lane forcing traffic to go five miles an hour. For all her bitching about passing over double lines, she was intentionally forcing the issue by refusing to get out of the middle of the lane. 

I’m an avid cyclist and I thought she was so annoying. I kept thinking “move over! Get out of the way!” Terrible cycling etiquette.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

She was often doing stuff like that, and at one point a doctor chewed her out about it. She applied and got into med school because she realized she DID want to do stuff like that. They showed her in class. They seem to have dropped that storyline though.

Heheh, I get why Hen did it, but I was wondering if this was an actual thing they field-trained and allowed actual paramedics to do. Hen implied so when she said Chim missed out on the new stuff by being gone for so long. It just seems like a pretty delicate/advanced procedure for the roadside.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

"Fully develop" are the operative words in that . . . theory. At that age they understand the basic difference between right and wrong. I'm tired of excusing young people from bad behavior because of their under developed brains

Never underestimate the stupidity of a group of young people.  Even groups of two.  The issues is that the long term thinking pathways are not fully developed yet, nor is the impulse control sections.  Add peer pressure to the mix, and you got otherwise good kids stealing stop signs. Does that excuse the behavior? No.  But it does mitigate it.  And they will be treated accordingly by the law.  Did they say that these were the same guys in the truck though?  I thought it was different kids, involved with the same scavenger hunt.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Same. Bike riders in the street are an especial pet peeve of mine. This dingbat was in the middle of the lane in the dead of night acting like she owned the whole road. This episode should have been titled "Karma at work."

Any bike rider in the middle of a road at night needs to be on the defensive. Drivers do not see as well, the incidence of being under the influence is higher, and they tend to be sleepy. 
But the bike rider who might even top the rider in this episode was a former coworker who insisted on commuting to work by riding in the one-lane-in-each-direction road that ran parallel to the bike path. Maybe(?) he isn't as bad, but he's real, and she's fictional. IDK. Is she based on a real life person?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, scruff said:

So    they just   completely  RUG  SWEPT  everything    that  Maddie    did   to     Chim  huh ?     WOW... 

This isn't the first time I've seen people say something like this and I'm curious about what people want from Maddie's story.  Maddie got sick.  She felt like she was a danger to her child.  She left the child with her father where she felt she'd be safe. 

She eventually got better.  She still feels guilty and nervous being around her daughter and it's clearly a process.  She and Chim broke up.  Is Chim yelling at her going to make her feel worse or prove a point.  Is trying to establish sole custody something he's interested in or the best thing for his daughter?  The fact that he went looking for her shows that trying to get Maddie out their child's life isn't something he wants to pursue and he likely wouldn't get it anyway since her choices are directly linked to her PPD.

3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The show really blundered Lucy so far and I'm not convinced they can recover.

Right?  The Lucy stuff in the episode is ho they should have introduced her from the beginning. 

But kids do stupid stuff like this all the time and no, most probably don't think about the potential accidents that removing a sign could cause. It's very probable that 99.9% of the time nothing bad happens.   I think she's thinking about just how quickly a stupid decision can have disastrous consequences. 

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Lucy was decent this week, but its really hard to get behind her after she started her time here starting this stupid cheating story with Buck, even if it wasn't really her fault, as I don't think Buck ever mentioned having a girlfriend.

Oh I think it was her fault.  She kissed him out of the blue.  Him not pulling away right away is on him but just because he didn't immediately share with a stranger he had a girlfriend doesn't mean she should assume his lips were free game.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh I think it was her fault.  She kissed him out of the blue.  Him not pulling away right away is on him but just because he didn't immediately share with a stranger he had a girlfriend doesn't mean she should assume his lips were free game.

I can't blame her. From her perspective, Buck was flirting back with her at the bar. It's not like she randomly kissed him; there was build-up leading to her kissing him. She went to make a move (because she thought he was flirting with her, which it seemed like he was), and he reciprocated. As soon as he told her that he had a girlfriend, she backed off. 

This is 100% on Buck. Buck's the one in a relationship; it was on him to establish those boundaries. Even if I think it was really stupid for Lucy to kiss someone she had just worked with, Buck's the one at fault. He leaned in too. He could have stopped her before the kiss and said that he had a girlfriend. He didn't. 

But it just adds to the fact that it was a stupid ass plot and it ruined both Buck and Lucy as characters. Buck can recover since we've known him since the pilot and have seen all of his ups and downs. We know that he does really stupid stuff but his heart is in the right place. It doesn't mean to ignore what he's done, because this was really bad (and, quite frankly, completely out of character; this is the guy who waited for Abby for MONTHS and also got paranoid in season 1 when he thought Abby thought he was cheating). 

Lucy, on the other hand? This was her introduction. Even though she didn't know, people are going to be less inclined to warm to her character with this being her first plot. And it especially won't help when we're getting scenes with her with non-main characters, taking away from the main characters. They haven't established her character well enough, but being the catalyst for Buck's worst arc to date? Even season 3's arc was better written and more in character for Buck, even if that one reflected poorly on Buck as well. 

There is something else I remember thinking during the episode, in regards to Jonah. The guy seems very upset over the 118 not accepting him. In particular, I noticed that his mind is fixated on Hen. He mentioned her several times, and I'm not sure whether he was looking for her approval or if he's genuinely pissed off at her. Either way, I'm getting the feeling that he's going to be involved in a plot with Hen very soon. Just with how many times he mentioned Hen and how disappointed he looked when he realized Hen was still calling him Monday, I just am starting to get bad vibes from him. I just haven't decided whether it's JUST directed at Hen or all of them.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Me neither.

"Fully develop" are the operative words in that . . . theory. At that age they understand the basic difference between right and wrong. I'm tired of excusing young people from bad behavior because of their under developed brains.

Ugh. I hate to say it but this show was much better off when Maddie was gone. Her story now feels like a tedious and pointless intrusion. She's not even in the 911 call center anymore. Why do we need her?

We don't! I have basically stopped watching it because of her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I can't blame her. From her perspective, Buck was flirting back with her at the bar. It's not like she randomly kissed him; there was build-up leading to her kissing him. She went to make a move (because she thought he was flirting with her, which it seemed like he was), and he reciprocated. As soon as he told her that he had a girlfriend, she backed off. 

This is 100% on Buck. Buck's the one in a relationship; it was on him to establish those boundaries. 

I agree with this 100%. Lucy did nothing wrong. Buck was flirting w/her. She flirted back. She made a move on him. What's the problem w/that? She didn't know he had a girlfriend. Lucy is definitely not ruined for me. 

I'm not sure why Buck's cheating has hurt Lucy when Lucy didn't even know he had a girlfriend. 

• Love 11

I love it when this show does one of it's "theme" episodes.  Seasons 1-3 were full of these types of eps.  I just did a re-watch of 'Karma's a Bitch' from S1 and that was a fun episode reminiscent of this one.

The first rescue was a good way to start off the ep and most closely defines both 'dumb' and 'luck'  No friggin way I am sitting atop the balcony railing of sky high penthouse, much less getting busy while doing it.   I also like it when they use a good song during a rescue and 'Hold on, I'm coming' by Sam and Dave was a great choice.

I may be in the minority, but for me, Lucy's intro didn't harm my perception of her character.  I just chalked it up the odd need shows seems to have to introduce new characters in a big way.  They either make them extra heroic and impressive or kinda douchey so they can rehab them later.  But, tbh, my biggest impression of Lucy's intro was the Speed knock-off rescue more than her kiss with Buck. I like her, I hope she stays awhile.

I am over Eddie.  Really.  Ever since the show killed off his ex-wife they have tried to make him grapple with deep destructive feelings.  I am not feeling it.  Just be pretty and fight fires.

And I don't feel like they know what they want to do with Maddie.  Honestly, the Maddie and Eddie stuff were big clunkers in this ep.

The biker woman infuriated me.  She knows enough to have good lights both on the front and back of her bike, and a flag to aid in visibility, and also wear a helmet.  But she is too stupid to move over to the side when she knows a car is coming?   Yeah, share the road, but if you are smart enough to outfit your bike with all the best safety measures, you are smart enough to know that in any confrontation between a vehicle and a bike, the bike will lose every time.  Also regardless of road rules you have to factor in driver distraction or just human error.  And depending on what road you are on, if you can't ride the posted speed limit but are riding in the middle of the lane and obstructing the flow of traffic, then you are actually  the dangerous one. In NYS driving below the speed limit can be considered a moving violation.

I get where Athena was coming from.  I see college aged students do some supremely stupid shit all the time.  And I fear for my own children.  I work in a college and I actually am the one who has to update all our systems when we get the notice of a deceased student so that nothing inadvertently goes out to parents (a perky invite reminding them to send their kid a care package, asking for a donation etc.).   I will legit text my kids and remind them not to do stupid shit.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I know they made a big deal about it being a 'miracle' save, and inexplicable luck, etc - but it's still hard to believe the weight and torque of catching that woman wouldn't have a) pulled Lucy out the window with her, and/or b) broken her arms or at  least dislocated something. I did grin at Karen side-eyeing the story at poker night.

She was tied to a concrete column inside the building with rope because they were getting her ready to go out and grab the woman hanging on the sign as the other two firefighters lowered he down. You could see the rope holder her in the window while she caught her.

The woman fell maybe 15 feet and probably weighed 140 lbs so I can see he catching the woman and holder onto her but her ribs and or boobs would have been hurt doing so (depending on where the window was touching her). Not sure if the firefighters uniform has cushioning in it?

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I am in my 50's and recall the stupid things people I grew up with did around 18- early 20's. I was one of the last to be able to drink legally at 18 and everybody back then had a junker car so young people did drink and drive. One guy got drunk and dove into a pool head first and broke his neck paralyzed for life. One guy purchased a very fast motorcycle and drove around like a nut but he ended up blowing his brains out because his first real girlfriend dumped him. I could go on and on. People tend to settle down and act normal once they hit their 30's assuming they live that long.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

This isn't the first time I've seen people say something like this and I'm curious about what people want from Maddie's story.  Maddie got sick.  She felt like she was a danger to her child.  She left the child with her father where she felt she'd be safe. 

She eventually got better.  She still feels guilty and nervous being around her daughter and it's clearly a process.  She and Chim broke up.  Is Chim yelling at her going to make her feel worse or prove a point.  Is trying to establish sole custody something he's interested in or the best thing for his daughter?  The fact that he went looking for her shows that trying to get Maddie out their child's life isn't something he wants to pursue and he likely wouldn't get it anyway since her choices are directly linked to her PPD.

Thank you!

Is Maddie supposed to be on her knees begging forgiveness? I've actually been really impressed with how maturely this whole thing has been handled. Like actual adults, not a CW teen soap.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

I agree with this 100%. Lucy did nothing wrong. Buck was flirting w/her. She flirted back. She made a move on him. What's the problem w/that? She didn't know he had a girlfriend. Lucy is definitely not ruined for me. 

I'm not sure why Buck's cheating has hurt Lucy when Lucy didn't even know he had a girlfriend. 

Buck was in a relationship. He cheated, she didn't. I have no problem with her.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Thank you!

Is Maddie supposed to be on her knees begging forgiveness? I've actually been really impressed with how maturely this whole thing has been handled. Like actual adults, not a CW teen soap.

She dropped the kid off and disappeared. There is nothing wrong with getting help, like an adult. Move out if you fear you might hurt the baby, but freaking tell the people that care about you what is going on. But,  Maddie, the Drama Queen, can't act like a normal human being. So sick of her.

Edited by chlban
  • Love 6
58 minutes ago, UnknownK said:

She was tied to a concrete column inside the building with rope because they were getting her ready to go out and grab the woman hanging on the sign as the other two firefighters lowered he down. You could see the rope holder her in the window while she caught her.

The woman fell maybe 15 feet and probably weighed 140 lbs so I can see he catching the woman and holder onto her but her ribs and or boobs would have been hurt doing so (depending on where the window was touching her). Not sure if the firefighters uniform has cushioning in it?

A similar video was trending on reddit this week of firefighters catching a suicide jumper.

It is actually from 2011, and confirmed true by Snopes

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/firefighters-catch-suicidal-woman/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Did they say that these were the same guys in the truck though?  I thought it was different kids, involved with the same scavenger hunt.

I don't think the teen who got hit by the car and his friend were driving the truck that lost the sign that impaled the bicyclist. They mentioned how someone hadn't brought one of the signs back yet and I assumed they were talking about the person in the truck.

1 hour ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

A similar video was trending on reddit this week of firefighters catching a suicide jumper.

It is actually from 2011, and confirmed true by Snopes

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/firefighters-catch-suicidal-woman/

WOW! I wonder if that's where they got the inspiration for this ep's rescue?

I personally like Lucy. It might have something to do with liking Arielle Kebbel (Justice for Midnight Texas!) but in general I just think she's a good character. I have no problem with her kissing Buck. But then I also don't really give a shit that Buck kissed her back lol.

I wonder where they're going with the new male firefighter. I thought he'd just be gone but then they gave him that scene with Lucy and had him make a face when she said Hen still calls him Monday so I don't know maybe they have more plans for him.

Eddie looks like absolute shit, so props to the makeup department for that. I feel like his story is going in circles. He has had the same scenes over and over again for what feels like this whole season. I've deeply over it. Since there's no chance they're going to go there with him and Buck, I wish they'd just cut him loose.

I hate that Maddie is so sad all the time. I want her to be happy again! And I want more Buck/Maddie scenes dammit!

• Love 3

Yeah, share the road, but if you are smart enough to outfit your bike with all the best safety measures, you are smart enough to know that in any confrontation between a vehicle and a bike, the bike will lose every time.  Also regardless of road rules you have to factor in driver distraction or just human error. 

Or road rage. Even I'd be tempted to run her over, especially if it's dark and there are no witnesses. 😉

Eddie looks like absolute shit, so props to the makeup department for that. I feel like his story is going in circles. He has had the same scenes over and over again for what feels like this whole season.

I'm just glad that opening scene turned out to be a dream because the bowl of cereal he gave Christopher was HUGE. No shit I actually thought there was at least half a box of Lucky Charms in that one bowl.

There is nothing wrong with getting help, like an adult. Move out if you fear you might hurt the baby, but freaking tell the people that care about you what is going on. But,  Maddie, the Drama Queen, can't act like a normal human being. 

Not that I'm defending her because I'd just as soon they wrote her off the show. But her initial intention was to commit suicide. No point in telling anyone that if that's what you really want to do, they'd just try to stop you. Once she committed to a program and entered a hospital she did at least let Buck know she was OK so he could let Chim know. That's really about as much information as anyone "deserved." Once she made sure her kid was taken care of she didn't owe anyone anything beyond that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, chlban said:

Buck was in a relationship. He cheated, she didn't. I have no problem with her.

My only problem with Lucy was her hooking up with someone from a house where she had applied to work.
If she was already working somewhere and fell in love with a coworker, that seems natural to me. 
But she didn't know the culture or relationships in the 118, so that's just a stupid move, IMO.
HOWEVER--
in this episode she was talking with the new blonde guy who they are letting go, and she said she had gotten drunk recently after the big save, and she had acted stupidly.
So. Lucy was drunk and stupid and acting out of character, and so was Buck. 
Until we are told differently.
Which I bet we will be. 

• Love 2

The writers don’t know what to do with Eddie anymore (and Christopher too) other than inflicting pains on them. Enough already!

Will Maddie be working at the Call Center again? She is more useful there, plus we get to see May and Josh too. It’s kind of weird not seeing the Call Center people in a “theme” episode. And what happened to Claudette the diva?

Hen is on her way to greatness ala Conrad Hawkins and Meredith Grey! 🙄

• Love 3

I like Lucy. I think the kiss is being overblown as an issue but I also think the reason they are blowing it up is because they are planning out of character drama for Buck, who is clearly still hot for her. I hate everything about that storyline, but so far it's making me hate Buck, not Lucy.

It seems like they are deliberately keeping Eddie away from most of the rest of the cast. Maybe nobody wants to work with him.

I knew the happy breakfast scene was a dream, but given the recent Lucky Charms controversy, I thought they were headed for the cereal poisoning Christopher, and it being another guilt/fear nightmare about that, rather than about Eddie's own internal trauma. I guess it was just bad timing, and not meant to be a comment on Lucky Charms? Or maybe it was paid product placement to rehab their image. But it took me out of the scene, because I was waiting for Christopher to act sick or something.

I think they made the cyclist hateful and extremely unreasonable to make it easier to forgive the sign-stealers, but it didn't work for me. It just made me hate them as well as her. I know that "brains don't fully develop til later" is the conventional wisdom, but honestly none of the kids I hung out with did this kind of shit, and I think that while there may be some who remain reckless, obnoxious, irresponsible maniacs with no perspective or impulse control until they hit 30, there are also those who never get there and those who get there way sooner. And I think there is also an element of culture (parenting and social structure) that influences this stuff, and it's not okay to allow people with reckless, dangerous tendencies to just go around killing people "because they're too immature to do better". If we KNOW kids can't function responsibly, then why are we giving them cars, booze, weapons, and letting them be unsupervised and expecting them to live like adults? People have been having children long before 30, and managing to go to work, support themselves, and generally move around the world with impulse control and some idea of how to not be constant death machines, so it's just not going to work for me to say "oh well, win some, lose some" when things go wrong.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I know that "brains don't fully develop til later" is the conventional wisdom, but honestly none of the kids I hung out with did this kind of shit, and I think that while there may be some who remain reckless, obnoxious, irresponsible maniacs with no perspective or impulse control until they hit 30, there are also those who never get there and those who get there way sooner. And I think there is also an element of culture (parenting and social structure) that influences this stuff, and it's not okay to allow people with reckless, dangerous tendencies to just go around killing people "because they're too immature to do better". If we KNOW kids can't function responsibly, then why are we giving them cars, booze, weapons, and letting them be unsupervised and expecting them to live like adults? People have been having children long before 30, and managing to go to work, support themselves, and generally move around the world with impulse control and some idea of how to not be constant death machines, so it's just not going to work for me to say "oh well, win some, lose some" when things go wrong.

Yeah, I used to see this arguement concerning an idiot manchild on a reality show who was prone to doing dumb things and no one liked hearing "If he's a baby in his brain and isn't responsible for anything until he's 25 then he needs to not be given adult priveleges. No driving until you're 25, you have a baby brain, not an adult brain. No dating until 25, you're still a child in your mind and you CAN NOT be allowed to choose who you want to hang out with, you're not responsible. Sure you SEEM mature but you are officially mentally incapable until you have a mature brain and therefore you can't be trusted". 

Sorry, I just hate this abdication of responsibility. There are degrees and ranges, and frankly if we don't ASK children and teenagers to be responsible for their decision, they never learn. My sixteen year old niece tried this with me - trying to get out of having not done assignments for school for months because her brain wasn't fully formed blah blah blah. I told her if she was too immature to do her school work, fine, no punishment, but that clearly meant she was too immature to get her driver's license and she needed some time to mature before I was taking her to the DMV. Funny how that didn't go over well. And funny how someone figured out how to get their assignments handed in. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Sorry, I just hate this abdication of responsibility.

It's not an abdication of responsibility; it's recognizing that, as much as we'd like teens to know all the possible consequences of every action, there is a streak where they feel invincible when they're young. And they do dumb things like play around dangerous areas, jump from tall things, drive too fast or with too many people being distracting in the car...etc.   Adults do dumb things too but maybe not as much. 

As Athena said to the teens when asking why they ran--their crime was only a misdemeanor.  So they'd still be on the hook for stealing the stop sign. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not an abdication of responsibility; it's recognizing that, as much as we'd like teens to know all the possible consequences of every action, there is a streak where they feel invincible when they're young. And they do dumb things like play around dangerous areas, jump from tall things, drive too fast or with too many people being distracting in the car...etc.   Adults do dumb things too but maybe not as much. 

I'm talking about when "their brains aren't fully formed" is tossed out as an excuse for stupid behavior.  They're young and feel invincible and do dumb things isn't the same as their brain isn't advanced enough for them to understand what they did was wrong. The first allows for the notion that they understood and simply made a bad decision. The second says they're incapable of making good decisions because their thinking apparatus isn't yet capable. 

To use the show example - a couple of 17 to 18 year old kids know they shouldn't take down street signs. They did it any way because they made a bad decision. OR they were too young for their brains to be developed enough to allow them to make good decisions. The "not fully developed brain" argument is saying they aren't responsible because without a fully developed brain, they simply can't be trusted to make good decisions.

Adults do dumb things - and if they're over twenty five or thirty, they can't claim their brain wasn't fully formed as an excuse. 

• Love 5

On 4/19/2022 at 10:18 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

I suspect Hen going to medical school will be forgotten until next year when we find out she's graduated and needs to do an internship....

That's exactly what I suspect, too. It might take her a few weeks or several years, but one day, when it's convenient to a plot, POOF. She'll have finished school.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:35 PM, Irlandesa said:

Geez, it was just a kiss. A drunken kiss. So trivial.

On 4/19/2022 at 6:00 PM, shapeshifter said:

My only problem with Lucy was her hooking up with someone from a house where she had applied to work.

Is a kiss what constitutes "hooking up" these days? 

I guess I'm of a sluttier generation. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I have to agree that Lucy being the slut seems harsh when it really was just a drunken kiss. Buck made a nothingburger into a huge issue with his own relationship but Lucy? Gave a good looking coworker a kiss after hours while they were out drinking. Not a slut.

• Love 5

This was a pretty decent episode. Another one of the classic theme-driven episodes, which are pretty enjoyable. Something Lone Star might actually benefit from. Having Lucy have that lucky save, and then struggling with the aftermath of it; these are the storylines I'd like to see focused on Lucy. Having actual struggles as a first responder, instead of being there strictly for relationship drama. Her kissing Buck ruined what was a decent introduction of her, as she showed her kick-ass abilities in the field.

And what the hell was the couple thinking? If they want to kiss on the balcony, fine. But to do all the aerial acrobatics is just asking for trouble. I couldn't help but think that it was karma for the guy stuck in the Goodwill bin, since he decided to park in a handicap spot. And quite amazing how nobody could hear him or notice him, including the tow truck driver, until Hen did. They lady on the bike was stupid. No biker is riding in the middle of the lane on a two-lane road. Get over the right. Of course cars are going to want to get around you. Had she been on the right, that stop sign probably doesn't hit her.

And Athena really sold that scene where the kid got hit by the car. I wasn't fully paying attention, and then I hear her yell "No, no, no!!" right before the car hit the kid. Made me say Whoa!!! And pretty cool how the episode came full circle with the woman Lucy saved saving the dumb kid.

And I do have to wonder if Jonah is meant to be part of new spinoff. He was introduced just 3 episodes ago, and Bobby assigns him to the 118. And now, he's moving on again as Chim gets to come back to his job that he fully left (with no complications). If Chim was going to be able to come back so quickly, why even bother introducing Jonah?

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

I couldn't help but think that it was karma for the guy stuck in the Goodwill bin, since he decided to park in a handicap spot.

Unless I missed something, wasn't he just going to dump the stuff and then leave?  He wouldn't have been there longer than a minute or two.   

• Love 1

Excellent recap, @WinJet0819!

1 hour ago, WinJet0819 said:

I couldn't help but think that it was karma for the guy stuck in the Goodwill bin, since he decided to park in a handicap spot.

Oooo. I totally missed that it was a handicapped spot. 
--but I promise I wouldn't IRL.

7 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Unless I missed something, wasn't he just going to dump the stuff and then leave?  He wouldn't have been there longer than a minute or two.   

But that could still be the wrong minute for someone who struggled to get there to try to do something nice for others, saw no place to park, and went home.
As it was, wasn't his car was there for hours and hours before it got towed?

1 hour ago, WinJet0819 said:

Her kissing Buck ruined what was a decent introduction of her, as she showed her kick-ass abilities in the field.

This👆 makes me think the whole reason for introducing Lucy that way was because she was intended to be super-heroic, and they felt they needed to take her down a peg so as to not annoy the viewers--kind of like giving her room to grow. 
And maybe they wanted to take Buck and his reporter girlfriend's relationship to the next level??? IDK. Maybe the opposite??? I think the Buck half of the story with his OTT reaction is what makes this:

6 hours ago, mojito said:

Geez, it was just a kiss. A drunken kiss. So trivial.

a much bigger deal than it needed to be. 
Plus, heh, regarding:

6 hours ago, mojito said:

Is a kiss what constitutes "hooking up" these days? 

I guess I'm of a sluttier generation. 

I actually thought Buck went home with Lucy and they did knock boots until I came here. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

But that could still be the wrong minute for someone who struggled to get there to try to do something nice for others, saw no place to park, and went home.
As it was. His car was there for hours and hours.

But he meant well, fell in the bin and got stuck.  It wasn't his fault that the car was there for hours.  Quite frankly, around where I live very few handicapped spots are occupied and my guess is that's was the same on the episode.  I doubt there were many people waiting to get into the spots.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

But he meant well, fell in the bin and got stuck.  It wasn't his fault that the car was there for hours.  Quite frankly, around where I live very few handicapped spots are occupied and my guess is that's was the same on the episode.  I doubt there were many people waiting to get into the spots.

I did feel kind of bad for him because he was dumping the stuff of someone who he had warned repeatedly that the person needed to retrieve, and he really seemed to feel bad about it. In fact, I think he may have accidentally tossed in the keys because he was distracted by his regret at possibly being a bit of a dick to his ex-roommate (or whatever?).  So I think the "Dumb Luck" or karma that saved him was justified. 

As I mentioned above, I hadn't noticed the handicapped parking (read it here), and I didn't notice if there was another, non-handicapped spot adjacent.
I got more defensive about leaving handicapped spots open when I had a temporary sticker during chemo when I was so weak that I had to ask a stranger to open my water bottle.
Anyhoo, I'd have to watch that part again to see if the direction and camera work intended for us to notice the Handicapped Parking spot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyhoo, I'd have to watch that part again to see if the direction and camera work intended for us to notice the Handicapped Parking spot.

It's not super visible, so I don't think it was like part of the story or anything. There were 2 handicap spots right beside the clothes donation bin, which actually seems like poor planning to me lol. The other spots were taken.

• Useful 3