Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E14: Dumb Luck

jewel21
  • Start Topic

I don't care what his intentions were or how long you think you'll be there. You don't use one of those parking spots unless you have a disability that means you need it. 

He didn't seem to me to feel bad about donating his ex's stuff. He seemed angry and pissed off and bitter, to me, even before he took the spot. 

I like the idea that the theme was people behaving badly getting their comeuppance. I hadn't really thought about that til it was mentioned here.

Hen being in medical school while still working full time as a first responder is just nuts. But I do think that they probably plan to bring it up again when she graduates, maybe as a spin off? It was a crazy plot point to introduce in the first place, but it's also not the kind of thing you introduce if you don't think you're going to do something with it.

• Love 3

I didn't know he parked in a handicapped spot, and couldn't figure out why he was being towed.  Now, I think it was a stupid, unnecessary part of the plot.  I don't think they put handicapped spots by donation bins placed at the far edge of a parking lot.  Even stupider since it looked like all he had to do to open the door he slid through is push on it it from the top.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, izabella said:

I didn't know he parked in a handicapped spot, and couldn't figure out why he was being towed.

I didn’t notice the handicapped spot either, but there’s an episode of Monk in which the car gets towed for some other reason (which was also a key plot point) so I didn’t spend too much time thinking about it.

The handicapped spots were relatively right in front of the bowling alley. It’s odd that the donation bins were that close to an entrance - usually they are around the side or back. If it had been me, I probably would have been in the fire lane directly in front of the donation bin since it was a drop and go. Probably would have left my car on also. Weird that his BMW doesn’t have roadside assistance to call to get his key or remote start his car or something. 

• Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 6:38 PM, iMonrey said:

There is nothing wrong with getting help, like an adult. Move out if you fear you might hurt the baby, but freaking tell the people that care about you what is going on. But,  Maddie, the Drama Queen, can't act like a normal human being. 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, Irlandesa said:

This isn't the first time I've seen people say something like this and I'm curious about what people want from Maddie's story.  Maddie got sick.  She felt like she was a danger to her child.  She left the child with her father where she felt she'd be safe. 

She eventually got better.  She still feels guilty and nervous being around her daughter and it's clearly a process.  She and Chim broke up.  Is Chim yelling at her going to make her feel worse or prove a point.  Is trying to establish sole custody something he's interested in or the best thing for his daughter?  The fact that he went looking for her shows that trying to get Maddie out their child's life isn't something he wants to pursue and he likely wouldn't get it anyway since her choices are directly linked to her PPD.

Speaking as someone who suffered severe Postpartum depression & psychosis, I can tell you this:  My perception of reality was incredibly distorted.  Waaaay distorted.  I thought my child was not my actual child and somehow that was my fault, I believed that everyone would be better off without me and that I was nothing but a huge burden to my family, I completely lost my way and were it not for one family member who recognized the signs (I was desperately trying to act 'normal' but inside I was spiraling out of control), I may well have killed myself.  I certainly can imagine that a person who had undergone horrible abuse in the not-so-distant past who then suffers from PPD or worse, PP Psychosis, disappearing for the sake of trying to regain some semblance of sanity actually makes sense.

And don't forget the feelings of shame and fear that go along with recovering from this kind of thing.  It took months of treatment for me to NOT feel like I was a horrible, broken person who only served to make other's lives miserable because of my own mental illness problems.

This is one of the very few extreme storylines about the nature of PTSD, PPD and PDD that I actually thought portrayed this constellation of horrible illness in a fairly accurate, compassionate way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 4/19/2022 at 10:53 AM, Lady Calypso said:

There is something else I remember thinking during the episode, in regards to Jonah. The guy seems very upset over the 118 not accepting him. In particular, I noticed that his mind is fixated on Hen. He mentioned her several times, and I'm not sure whether he was looking for her approval or if he's genuinely pissed off at her. Either way, I'm getting the feeling that he's going to be involved in a plot with Hen very soon. Just with how many times he mentioned Hen and how disappointed he looked when he realized Hen was still calling him Monday, I just am starting to get bad vibes from him. I just haven't decided whether it's JUST directed at Hen or all of them.

Running a little behind so just catching up on here. Totally agree that it feels like there’s something brewing with Jonah. His only scene in this episode was Hen-focused and his intro episode gave me a weird “he’s up to something” vibe: maybe I’ve seen too much General Hospital but the camera shots and background music when he treated the patient (who ended up having an adverse reaction) seemed very anvil-ly to me. 

• Love 1