Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Friendly Type

• Start Topic

A lot of action, so many dead bodies. Maybe Steven should try to become Layla's conscience, I think she needs you more.

I can see why Khonshu wants Layla to be the next Moon Knight, she is way more single-mindedly focused and has no qualms about killing whomever to reach her objective. I still can not fathom what is motivating Layla actions or why her interests align with Marc Spector's. Moon Knight and Marc Spector seem more like a tool Layla uses to get what she wants.

Why would Steven know so much more about Egyptian Antiquities than Layla does, I thought Layla found and stole Egyptian Antiquities for a living. Wouldn't she have to know all their legends and be able to verify objects as genuine. 

So much drama could have been avoided if actors would has just taken a picture of the cloth pieces held in front of a strong light. So much drama could have been avoided if Khonshu had just told Layla the date and the location that Senfu looked at the night sky and Layla then used a computer program to recreate the constellations that could be seen at that time. Marc might still have a Super Suit, now that it is time to do battle with Harrow.

Here's hoping that Layla never finds out the name of the person that killed her father, sooooo many secrets.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

A lot of action, so many dead bodies. Maybe Steven should try to become Layla's conscience, I think she needs you more.

I can see why Khonshu wants Layla to be the next Moon Knight, she is way more single-mindedly focused and has no qualms about killing whomever to reach her objective. I still can not fathom what is motivating Layla actions or why her interests align with Marc Spector's. Moon Knight and Marc Spector seem more like a tool Layla uses to get what she wants.

Why would Steven know so much more about Egyptian Antiquities than Layla does, I thought Layla found and stole Egyptian Antiquities for a living. Wouldn't she have to know all their legends and be able to verify objects as genuine. 

So much drama could have been avoided if actors would has just taken a picture of the cloth pieces held in front of a strong light. So much drama could have been avoided if Khonshu had just told Layla the date and the location that Senfu looked at the night sky and Layla then used a computer program to recreate the constellations that could be seen at that time. Marc might still have a Super Suit, now that it is time to do battle with Harrow.

Here's hoping that Layla never finds out the name of the person that killed her father, sooooo many secrets.

Yep, if only everyone everywhere acted in a calm, compassionate, perfectly logical way all problems would be completely solved and we'd all be living in paradise.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Steven lost a lot of points with me this episode. I can understand he's a pacifist and deplores violence, but asking people who are currently trying to kill him to just stop is dangerously delusional. At least he gave the body back after getting stabbed two or three times, but it should have been obvious that was going to happen before that point.

This DID stuff is really interesting but I wonder what they would have done if Marvel had made more Hulk movies where the Bruce Banner/Savage Hulk/Joe Fix-it/etc dynamic kinda plays out a bit like Steven and Marc do here. (As I understand it, it was never a Sony situation where the license was actually fully locked up. Disney/Marvel just didn't want to deal with Universal having enough of the license to be the theatrical distributor for solo Hulk films.)

The marketplace and the horse fighting scenes looked hella expensive.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

So much drama could have been avoided if Khonshu had just told Layla the date and the location that Senfu looked at the night sky and Layla then used a computer program to recreate the constellations that could be seen at that time. Marc might still have a Super Suit, now that it is time to do battle with Harrow.

I was thinking that too. I vaguely understand it is a pretty easy thing for sky mapping software to rewind time and figure out where stars used to be.

I guess it's also a good thing for this show's purposes that Moon Knight is a solo superhero, because if he could tap into SHIELD (or SWORD? or Avenger) resources, he could probably get a spy satellite to locate Harrow's dig site without having to do all this running around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, arc said:

I guess it's also a good thing for this show's purposes that Moon Knight is a solo superhero, because if he could tap into SHIELD (or SWORD? or Avenger) resources, he could probably get a spy satellite to locate Harrow's dig site without having to do all this running around.

Or he could follow Harrow's people who are following him. Harrow has to be close since he was at the fancy party.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Not necessarily.  If I'm a jewel thief, I don't necessarily need to know the history/legends behind whatever thingie I'm swiping.  I just need to know where it is and how to defeat whatever security protects it.  She probably knows some stuff but if Moon Knight somehow crossed over with The Mummy, Layla would be able to identify the Book of the Dead and find a buyer for it.  Steven would be the one who'd be able to understand the spells and send Imhotep back to sleep.

• Like 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Why would Steven know so much more about Egyptian Antiquities than Layla does,

I had time to sleep on it and realized that the show was trying to show that Steven is the world's best puzzle solver, who just happened to know a thing or two about Egyptology, but doesn't know nearly as much as Layla does, my bad.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, arc said:

I was thinking that too. I vaguely understand it is a pretty easy thing for sky mapping software to rewind time and figure out where stars used to be.

I let that poke my brain for a sec, but the scene was so cool I had no trouble letting it go. 

In fact, they could have tossed in a neat line about even that being a model and Khonshu pissing on tech as crap as far as the gods go.

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Harrow has to be close since he was at the fancy party.

I thought this episode was upper-level MCU television and I am LOVING the show; but for a guy with glass in his shoes (I was also a bit annoyed by the sound effect with his walking, too ham-handed) he does really seem to get around to everywhere pretty quick.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 1

Just noting for the record that this episode confirmed there is at least one more personality - a deadlier personality than Marc, which neither Marc nor Steven knew about before, and possibly did not entirely register even now.

Also, I think Layla is developing a sweet spot for Steven.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Just noting for the record that this episode confirmed there is at least one more personality - a deadlier personality than Marc, which neither Marc nor Steven knew about before, and possibly did not entirely register even now.

Also, I think Layla is developing a sweet spot for Steven.

Not surprising.  I'm a straight CiS male but Oscar Isaac as Steven does make me carefully consider the question in greater depth.

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
Just now, johntfs said:

Not surprising.  I'm a straight CiS male but Oscar Isaac as Steven does make me carefully consider the question in greater depth.

🤣 I mean, she's already married to Marc, so clearly she already liked the face. But while her marriage to Marc is struggling, she seems to really appreciate Steven's sweetness and recognises that he has valuable skills too.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Didn't Jane Foster do something very similar in Thor: The Dark World? I know I've seen constellation mapping to an earlier time period in some movie, even if not that one. It definitely popped into my mind that it could be done with a computer program and knowing NOTHING about it on my own, it had to have come from a fictional source.

This was an incredible episode; packed with action and plot advancement. We definitely got confirmation of a third DID personality and also an interesting name drop of Madripoor, which makes sense if one is buying/selling/collecting antiquities, but it does indicate at least a tenuous connection to the greater Phase 4 MCU.

This may just be the best MCU series yet.

Edited by ProudMary
Typo correction.
  • Love 5

I was also wondering if there wasn't just some way Layla could have entered in the date online and pulled up a star chart that way.  But, hey, I honestly could buy that Khonshu has a big enough ego to just be all "Nah, let me show you this cool shit I can do with my powers, even if it's likely going with the rest of the gods turning me into a stone statue!  Worth it, bro!"

Fun seeing some of the other Egyptian Gods, even if that inquisition was pretty lame.  Basically boiled down to them asking Arthur if he did that evil thing, Arthur all "LOL, no!" and them being like "Well, the vessel was in Dead Poets Society, so he is totally telling the truth!  Not guilty!"  Didn't even call witnesses or try to collect evidence.  Worst episode of Law & Order ever!

Love you, Steven, but this was definitely not the best time to try your pacifism act.  I get not wanting to be overzealous with the body-count, but if men are shooting at you (or your body to be exact) or freaking coming at you with spears on horseback, maybe it's best to just let Marc do his thing. 

So, I'm guessing the gaps in Marc's memory and those thugs being completely terrified of him after means there really is a third personality?  One that might even be more dangerous than Marc?!

You just know something is going to come out of what apparently went down with Layla's dad and Marc's possible involvement and/or knowledge of it.

This episode's standout moment for Oscar Isaac: the way he played Marc being possessed by Khonshu.  He really is becoming a contender for one of the strongest leads out of not just the Disney+ shows but possible the entire MCU.

• Love 15

Steven, I love you and I very much appreciate your pacifist nature, but when armed men are actively shooting at you and trying to run you through with sticks, its probably acceptable to start beating people up. Of course, his total commitment to non-violence might be another specific trait that Marc developed for Steven. Marc feels so much self loathing of his own violet nature that he created another personality who hates violence so much that he will always try to find a peaceful resolution, no matter the situation. 

Sure they could have probably figured out a way to use GPS to figure out the location, but not while Khonshu, the biggest drama llama in Egypt, is around! That scene was so cool, even if it got Khonshu in trouble with the rest of the gods. Very nice seeing several of the other gods and their Avatars, I hope we see more of them and hear more about their mythology. The gods really need to do their research more, Harrow isn't exactly subtle about his death god worshipping cult, but I can see why they did buy what Harrow was selling. It seems like Harrow gained their respect back when he was an Avatar while Khonshu has been estranged from the gods for awhile, it might just be that they like him more than Khonshu or don't want to acknowledge that another Avatar, even a retired one, could do this. It doesn't help that just about everything Harrow says is technically true, he's just hiding what he is actually up to. Khonshu really is an angry and spiteful god who is mistreating his Avatar, a clearly unwell man who looks like he hasn't slept in three days, he's just hiding that Khonshu is telling the truth about him, even if he's being annoying about it.

I liked getting more of Layla, we see more of her backstory as a treasure thief/hunter who's got issues surrounding her murdered father, more of her relationship with Marc, and she is clearly warming up to Steven. We already know she likes his face (and who wouldn't) and his awkward charm is quite endearing. Her necklace that turns into two knives is super badass as well. So what are the odds that either Marc knows something about her murdered father, or that it ends up being tied into the main plot?

Very interesting that after two episodes of having Steven as our main protagonist and having control of their body, with him needing to reluctantly ask Marc for help, we get the reverse here, with Marc as the main protagonist who has control of their body who has to reluctantly ask Steven for help. Now made all the more confusing with a possible third personality lurking inside of them, one that neither Marc nor Steven knows about and is even scarier than Marc. 

The soundtrack continues to be filled with absolute bops. All of the Disney+ shows have had such great, unique soundtracks that really give their shows individual identities. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

You just know something is going to come out of what apparently went down with Layla's dad and Marc's possible involvement and/or knowledge of it.

Last week I thought Harrow killed the archeologist (who I'm guessing is Layla's dad). Now, it looks like that was Marc 😔

Khonshu is a drama queen if we go by his performance at the trial. So of course he'd be like let show off my god powers and turn back the sky, even though I'll be imprisoned leaving you without my protection. No wonder the other gods don't like him. Lol

They should've let Steven speak, he's much more level headed and could've mentioned the child murdering that Harrow talked about.

From my very basic understanding of comic book DiD is that the alters tend to appear when needed. So the third alter whom I'm calling Scotty (since thats the only other name we had someone call him) appeared because Marc was struggling with Steven who doesn't want to kill. Scotty doesn't care what the others want, he's the true killer. 

I'm thinking Layla's falling for Steven, since he seems to be made for her. He's everything Marc wishes he could be for her. He's sweet, caring, open, honest, loves the same poet, and knows Egyptian Lore.

So Marc as a mercenary killed her father, the Archeologist that the Harrow's people mentioned in ep 1. Then he died and became Konshu's avatar. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Seriously, how many personalities are in that body? I’m guess with Steve and Marc both out of commission, we’ll get the third one next week.

I’m calling two things:

1) Marc killed Layla’s father

2) Layla is going to be the turncoat female character, because the MCU Disney+ can’t seem to quit that trope. Because that Madripoor reference can’t be a coincidence. I’ve bitterly resigned myself to it.

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Khonshu is a drama queen if we go by his performance at the trial.

Hee, and it didn’t do him what bit of good.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

I got my wish to follow part of the story from Marc's POV, and he DOES experience blackouts, although not necessarily from Steven. So a third alter has entered the chat, one Marc doesn't know about. I wonder if this is someone who only emerged recently (as a result of whatever caused Steven to take the lead as he was at the start of the show,) or if they've been hiding from the rest of the system for quite some time.

I agree that it's not IDEAL to be urging pacifism when people are actively stabbing you with spears, but I got such a kick out of Steven in the Mr. Knight suit asking everyone to "calm the eff down." He's too precious, I love him.

The growing interplay between Layla, Marc, and Steven is so good. I like the way Marc seems embarrassed to let Layla see Steven front, like how he took the cloth pieces and walked a little apart from Layla before switching so Steven could solve the puzzle. But at the same time, Layla is quickly getting so comfortable with Steven. The way she looked at him as he worked on the puzzle was sweet. (Seriously, though, how awkward will it be for Marc if Layla stays separated from him but gets together with Steven?)

I love how the show is depicting Egypt. There's no "brown country" yellow filter, it's portrayed as a modern city that also possesses lots of antiquities, and the soundtrack features actual (awesome) songs instead of vaguely-melodic Orientalist vocalizing. They might seem like little things, but it makes such a huge difference.

• Love 15

Yes! I'm happy that we now probably know where most of the dead bodies are coming from. And I'm wondering if "mom" could be the third alter? I know Layla is aware of mom, but she still may not have ever met or even seen mom, and if Marc has told her they are estranged, that would keep her from asking about it. 

I am really enjoying this so far. The music, the cinematography (yay no yellow filter!! So beautiful!) and the fight and action choreography... all of it. And I know there have been some tiny hints of linkage back to the larger MCU (like Madripoor in this ep), but I am so far very thankful that they've all been ignorable for the most part. That may not last, but I'm going to enjoy this show feeling like a stand alone for as long as I can. 

I'm also now more curious than ever about what caused Steven/Marc/??? to split, and also when that happened. 

And I'm appreciating that Harrow is a fairly straight forward villain. He doesn't have a moral leg to stand on, he's just good at making it sound surface level good until you get into the details (the way Steven did with him). And I'm still wondering if the sucking the life out of people is a power siphoning thing. And I guess he just has all these little cult enclaves all over the world? The town where the castle was, and then the place in London? (And I'm sure in Egypt too).

I  love watching a show that rewards watching it multiple times. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

…even if it's likely going with the rest of the gods turning me into a stone statue!  Worth it, bro!

Khonshu, founding member of the Moonsuit Mafia… bro!

• LOL 3

My only criticism of this episode was the ending. Every Disney+/Marvel show so far usually ends on a note, that makes me wish all episodes dropped at once. But this episode, was a weak ending. I get the need for it (didn't understand why Harrow was brought back to the pyramid to see Stone Khonshu) but what he said wasn't anything mind blowing that made me want to know more.

Steven's pacifist talk in the middle of a fight was definitely the comedic highlight for me this episode, while I was very jealous of Khonshu's playing with the night sky, if only I had those skills it would help me super engage my students when teaching astronomy.

I think my favourite aspect of the entire show, is that the characters are learning about 'Moon Knight' as we are. I am really appreciating that the show didn't assume we all knew about the character's history etc.

• Love 2

Weakest episode of the three so far. It felt disjointed, like there was too much stuffed in, but nothing in the episode really landed.

It felt like a video game mission.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 4

I agree that this episode is weaker that the previous two, although it is still gorgeously filmed and the acting is on point. Oscar Isaac is really an amazing actor and May Calawamy is conveying much with attitudes and looks, especially around Steven.

The meeting of the gods left me pretty baffled at how inefficient they were at investigating the subject and not even scared what freeing Ammit could mean...

Having a PhD in Astrophysics, the sky rewinding seemed such a waste of resources to me as we have a pretty good idea of what the sky looked like at that time. Another thing is that realistically it would have taken several hours or days to develop a code able to pinpoint the location based on the scan of the cloth and the actual sky 😅 . The fact that Layla had that ready on her tablet is wild! With a nice visual interface, even!

At that point, I think that the show is telling us that Layla's father was killed by Marc or maybe the even more violent alter (Scotty?). The fake cops in the previous episode were saying that Marc had executed all those scientists on a digging site, right?

• Love 3

I agree with everyone who has stated this episode was the weakest, but I still enjoyed it. 

I was very excited to see the confirmation of the third personality (Jake Lockley?). I want to know his story and to see his "suit."  I was also pretty intrigued by the Gaspard Ulliel character and am wondering if the episode was altered due to his unfortunate death.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Last week I thought Harrow killed the archeologist (who I'm guessing is Layla's dad). Now, it looks like that was Marc 😔

Or Marc THOUGHT he did it, but it was actually the third personality.

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

agree with everyone who has stated this episode was the weakest, but I still enjoyed it. 

I had to say I thought exactly the opposite, that this episode was the strongest.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Tuggy said:

The meeting of the gods left me pretty baffled at how inefficient they were at investigating the subject and not even scared what freeing Ammit could mean...

Why would they care, though? They're certain she just wants to murder humans and that's not of any concern to them. And if she gets out of hand, it's clear they believe they'll just turn her to stone like they did Khonshu. Harrow very deliberately comes across as unassuming and reasonable. I would have been surprised if they had taken Khonshu's warnings seriously. Plus, that's how people with power treat those who are 'othered', and the combination of Khonshu, who they already think is a troublemaker, and Marc who they now see as damaged and dismissible because of his mental illness , they are completely convinced their decision is the only correct choice. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

(didn't understand why Harrow was brought back to the pyramid to see Stone Khonshu) but what he said wasn't anything mind blowing that made me want to know more.

I was expecting him to say something incriminating that the avatar who helped Marc earlier would have overheard, which would push her and her god entirely over to Team Marc/Khonshu.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, ProudMary said:

So much drama could have been avoided if Khonshu had just told Layla the date and the location that Senfu looked at the night sky and Layla then used a computer program to recreate the constellations that could be seen at that time.

What date would that be and using which calendar?  Gregorian?  Julian?  Roman?  Khonshu wouldn't know those things.  He only knows the night sky, so he showed them that night sky.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, johntfs said:

What date would that be and using which calendar?  Gregorian?  Julian?  Roman?  Khonshu wouldn't know those things.  He only knows the night sky, so he showed them that night sky.

If Khonshu remembers every single day, he can count them and tell Layla how many there were.

This episode was comparatively a snoozer.  Also, as right as the other Gods are about how cruel and over the top Khonsu is, it seemed really off that they were so absurdly easily manipulated.  I mean they're gods.  Can't they just LOOK at what Harrow is actually doing rather than decide based on a two minute conversation?  And is Khonsu equally stupid or arrogant not to just make that suggestion?

• Love 5
On 4/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, Tuggy said:

Another thing is that realistically it would have taken several hours or days to develop a code able to pinpoint the location based on the scan of the cloth and the actual sky 😅 . The fact that Layla had that ready on her tablet is wild! With a nice visual interface, even!

Any time I see cool tech like that in the MCU I am reminded that it is a world that had a flying car in 1943. If anything the tech should be even better.

• Love 1

One thing I noticed on subsequent viewing is that Harrow didn't have the cane with him when he killed the homeless man who found the scarab after the fight, so it would seem possible that he might have other types of non-human power he can tap into that may or may not be tied to an artifact. So as far as the gods being able to just 'see' what he's up to, maybe he is cloaked in some way, either with another artifact from Ammit like the cane, or some power that is specific to him.

But in watching that scene with the gods again, the whole tenor of the proceedings really changes when Harrow brings up Marc/Steven/???'s mental illness. They were already skeptical of Khonshu because of his theatrical nature, but the fact that his Avatar is - in their view - defective, where they place such high value on their Avatars and give them the power & freedom to handle things on earth while they exist elsewhere, the fact that Marc couldn't deny being "unwell" decided them that nothing he or Khonshu said could be trusted, or given any weight. That is ableism in a nutshell and it was portrayed quite realistically. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Wynterwolf said:

One thing I noticed on subsequent viewing is that Harrow didn't have the cane with him when he killed the homeless man who found the scarab after the fight, so it would seem possible that he might have other types of non-human power he can tap into that may or may not be tied to an artifact. 

Just because it wasn't clearly focused on in the shot doesn't mean it wasn't there. The scene had cutaways, and some not entirely useful angles.

5 hours ago, SnarkShark said:

Just because it wasn't clearly focused on in the shot doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Yes, you're right. I did watch it again on a different screen and he does have it with him, but he seems to just casually hook it on his arm to get it out of the way when he reaches out to touch the man to kill him. He doesn't appear to use it they way he did previously (his own bit of theatrics maybe?). So it still seems like he might not need it to kill people, he just wants people to think he does. But we shall see... 

Also, now that it's fairly clear that there is a third alter and that he may have killed people (without us knowing anything about the context from his POV), I can't stress enough how harmful the 'evil alter' trope is to real, actual people with DID. Abled people believing that people with mental illness are dangerous has gotten more disabled people killed that you can imagine, and abled people are astronomically more dangerous to disabled people than the other way around (but you'd never know that from news or entertainment media). Just something to please keep in mind as this plays out. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 4/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Fun seeing some of the other Egyptian Gods, even if that inquisition was pretty lame. Basically boiled down to them asking Arthur if he did that evil thing, Arthur all "LOL, no!" and them being like "Well, the vessel was in Dead Poets Society, so he is totally telling the truth!  Not guilty!" Didn't even call witnesses or try to collect evidence. Worst episode of Law & Order ever!

Certainly Khonshu has arrogance down pat. I'm not sure how else to account for the gap between "Our case against Harrow has to be indisputable!" and the yelly mess of that inquisition. Hey, Crazy Pissed-Off Moon Guy, did you ever think maybe you want to, I don't know, prepare? Your current avatar is broken right down the middle, has no idea what's going on, your previous avatar thinks killing people is just the most fun ever, and your idea of making your case is shouting until the meatsuit's throat is shredded? I think the rest of the senior class just shoved into your stone-lined locker not according to some code of cosmic justice, but because you're an annoying, tantrum-throwing wanker.

• Love 1

This show has a few decent moments sprinkled throughout each episode, but so far this show is a complete bore to me. I have yet to finish an episode in one sitting and I am basically just watching out of completeness sake and if it may be related to the larger MCU.

First fail in the MCU TV series for me personally and 2nd overall in the MCU behind Eternals.  No fault of the actors involved but the story is just not engaging or coherent to me at all.  I just don't care about anyone in the show.  Maybe once I see all episodes I will like it better overall which has happened before.  Sometimes these shows are just better binged as one long "movie".

16 hours ago, Unclejosh said:

First fail in the MCU TV series for me personally and 2nd overall in the MCU behind Eternals. 

Hmm. I'm not totally sold on this one (it might be too dark for me overall), but, for what it's worth, it's vastly better than the muddled and draggy Iron Fist; and Eternals wasn't perfect, but it wasn't the character-assassination-fest that I found Thor: Ragnarok to be.

• Love 1

I much preferred Iron Fist to this show so far and actually liked it more than Daredevil or Punisher which I have yet to even finish as I found them so boring and uninteresting.  I also think Thor: Ragnarok is by far the best of the Thor movies and is in the upper echelon of all the MCU so far.  

Obviously YMMV.  

• Love 3

The meeting of the gods via the avatars was an interesting concept, and I enjoyed watching it.  Though the gods seemed rather dense and conveniently couldn't tell what Harrow was doing but could summon him there.  I don't understand why he got invited to the pyramid again at the end, either.  

I'm glad Steven has a useful skill-set, though they should have established it a bit better in the earlier episodes.  I knew he liked Egyptian history but didn't realize he was such an expert.  I did like the moment between Steven and Layla.

Steven was annoying during the fight, though.  Why the need for a third personality when Marc could be just as violent pretty much killing everyone in that rich antique collector's compound?  Heck, the third personality  didn't even kill those guys.

It seems pretty predictable that Marc "killed" Layla's father.

Harrow being pretty much five steps ahead of the "heroes" made this episode a bit frustrating to watch, though, on par with the previous one.

(edited)
On 4/13/2022 at 10:23 AM, Lassus said:

for a guy with glass in his shoes (I was also a bit annoyed by the sound effect with his walking, too ham-handed) he does really seem to get around to everywhere pretty quick.

Ugh. I had forgotten about the glass in his shoes.  He did that to make walking difficult so that he appears vulnerable and human to his followers, right?  I'm guessing that he thinks that without the glass to remind him to slow down, his god-hood would be (prematurely) revealed.  But didn't we just see a whole pyramid full of Egyptian deities who are currently passing for human without putting glass in their shoes?  Why can't he just ACT like a <insert Hulk voice> "puny human"?  UPDATE:  Wait a sec, he IS just a puny human, isn't he?  He had some super skills for a while that were due to his having the scarab in his possession but he's actually just a human.  Gods I'm confused.

I love Marvel and I love Oscar Isaac so I'm trying REALLY hard to love this show but . . . it's hard work.

On 4/13/2022 at 8:24 PM, angora said:

So a third alter has entered the chat, one Marc doesn't know about.

Wait what?  Several of you have mentioned this and I completely missed it.  Sigh.  I'm going to have to watch this all again aren't I?

Edited by WatchrTina
38 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Wait what?  Several of you have mentioned this and I completely missed it.  Sigh.  I'm going to have to watch this all again aren't I?

We don't actually see the third alter onscreen. When Marc is fighting with those guys on the rooftop and Steven is arguing with him not to hurt them, Marc blacks out more than once. When he comes out of it, the guys are first completely terrified of him, and IIRC, after the second time, at least one of them is severely injured, maybe even dead. Marc exclaims, "Steven, what did you do?", and Steven insists that it wasn't him. That suggests that when Marc blacked out, someone other than Steven was fronting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Wait a sec, he IS just a puny human, isn't he?  He had some super skills for a while that were due to his having the scarab in his possession but he's actually just a human.  Gods I'm confused.

Kind of. Harrow used to have superpowers, yes, but not because of the scarab. He used to be the avatar of Khonshu, who granted him superpowers in exchange for doing his bidding - the exact role Marc Spector now fills. So Marc's powers and suit were once Harrow's. The scarab does not confer powers of any kind, it...dammit, I can't remember if its purpose has been revealed as of this episode. Anyway, it does not confer powers, it's a tool.

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Kind of. Harrow used to have superpowers, yes, but not because of the scarab. He used to be the avatar of Khonshu, who granted him superpowers in exchange for doing his bidding - the exact role Marc Spector now fills.

Okay so Khonshu (the god who sounds suspiciously like Antonio Salieri <wink>) had at one time used Harrow as his human avatar, but he fired Harrow in favor of a new human avatar -- one who happens to suffer from multiple personality disorder.  Well, that's a bold strategy Cotten.  Let's see if it pays off for him.  <<WatchrTina skitters off to watch the last two episodes>>

• Love 3