Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Big Fender Energy

• Start Topic

The conflict between Gary and Daisy further escalates following their disagreement about their departments. Between the massive new fenders and being a man down, it takes the whole crew to manage a chaotic docking. Ashley finds herself in both physical and emotional pain after witnessing Gabriela and Gary in bed together, but she isn’t the only one frustrated with the second stew. After a tense dinner, Gabriela’s relationships with her fellow crew members spiral out of control leaving her questioning whether or not she can continue the season. With a new charter comes new problems when an exhausted Gary is injured while trying to manage all the exterior duties without a second deckhand.

Airdate: 04/11/2022

Ashley falls headfirst from her bed and Captain Glenn believes Tom is a liability on the boat? Ashley and Tom are both liabilities on the boat. Just calling it the way I see it.

• Love 18

Ashley is immature and incredibly obnoxious. I don’t blame Gabby for wanting to throw in the towel. That said, Gabby was acting kind of obnoxiously this episode. I hope it’s a one off and she decides to stay. 

That brief shot of Colin changing in his cabin had me 😍. His arms are… good arms to have.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 11

Charter guest at the beginning of the episode – “It is so peaceful right now.”  Ah, yes, but for how long?

Hey, is that a fender on deck or are you just happy to see me?  Those things are massive!

That whole fender drama seemed so fake – the water was calm, there was little or no wind, the crew just didn’t have experience with the new fenders is all.

Halfway into it and this episode is vying for the most boring to date.  The script for the Gabriela/Marcos drama could have been written by a 5th grader.  Watching Drunken Ashley fall out of bed onto her face was kinda fun.  But it’s pretty obvious these people just can’t handle alcohol – all the more surprising when you consider their experience with it.

Gary is securing the new massive fenders to the dock – why does this feel like impending doom?

The Great Champagne Flute disaster!   Oh, man, really felt for Gabriela on that one.

And once again, it’s a big surprise that when the ship sails, it heels over to one side or the other.  Seriously, how many times does it take?

Will Gabriela get out of her funk?  Will Ashley funk anyone?  Will Kelsie get any screen time?  How badly did Gary pinch his fingers in the sliding doors?  Stay tuned (if you can stay awake) for next week’s episode….

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

That was a boring episode!  Can’t be good being down a deck hand and now Gary is injured.  Gabby better not up and quit now of all times… not sure she would ever get another job in the industry if she did.  What is her issue anyway, seems all about nothing to me.  If you can’t be a team player don’t work on a boat stews!

• Love 5

Was I hearing Captain Glenn correctly? He tells the crew that Tom was going to receive his tip money from the last charter he worked. I believe those particular guests left the crew $21,000.That’s nice and I believe Tom should receive that tip money.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

And once again, it’s a big surprise that when the ship sails, it heels over to one side or the other.  Seriously, how many times does it take?

Didn't they show everyone locking the boat down before sailing in previous seasons?  I can imagine a producer off camera just throwing things or unlocking drawers to create drama.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

Ashley can't seem to connect with anyone except on a superficial and immature sexual level.

It seems odd that she thinks sleeping with Gary as "winning," sleeping with Gary is like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Just to eff with Ashley each crew member should spend the night with Gary, (no sex, just sleeping), even the guys just to see Ashley lose her mind.

Once again Capt. Glenn sails the boat and once again things go sliding.  My only thought was does he know the chef is preparing food, catching a hot skillet sliding off the stove is dangerous. I keep wondering about the bar ware this boat goes thru in just one charter.

Why are they giving Tom any part of a tip?  He fired Tom for not doing his job, one of the consequences one faces is not getting paid or tipped out.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Didn't they show everyone locking the boat down before sailing in previous seasons?  I can imagine a producer off camera just throwing things or unlocking drawers to create drama.

I would think cabinets and drawers would always be secured on a boat.   But, then no drama!

• Love 5

I actually don't mind a relatively boring episode, the stupid guest lunacy and fighting gets tiresome.  

Gabriela makes slightly more sense than Ashley, but I'm sorry to say that's a pretty low bar.  I didn't see how she was being treated poorly at all but she seems upset by everything and everyone.  The "I used to be younger and immature, but now that I'm older and more responsible, I'll just walk out" can only be considered mature behavior in reality TV, and, uh, I dunno, New Jersey and Utica.  It's the opposite of mature.

I know Gary's a creeptastic creeper, but he was simply too drunk to kick out Gabriela who was too drunk to do anything but crawl into his bed.  I'm not really sure how that one's on Gary.  Not that either of them should care about Ashley either way.  

I don't mind the extra bumpers, it was interesting, although there was probably no need for the fake drama of storm danger.

I'm still confused about Colin's role.  As head engineer he's still expected to carry provisions?  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It seems odd that she thinks sleeping with Gary as "winning," sleeping with Gary is like shooting fish in a barrel. 

Just to eff with Ashley each crew member should spend the night with Gary, (no sex, just sleeping), even the guys just to see Ashley lose her mind.

Hah ! Great idea !

• Love 3
1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

I would think cabinets and drawers would always be secured on a boat.   But, then no drama!

I'm pretty sure they've shown them locking everything this season too - I remember seeing Gabriela locking the cabinets in the kitchen.  So is it lack of communication from Glenn when they are putting the sails up so they don't have time to lock everything?  

Gabriela was super hungover when she was spilling her soul out to Ashley of all people.  I definitely have no tolerance for stress and get super emotional when I'm exhausted, so I think that's what was going on the day after.  But sure, that's going to end well.  Ashley is totally the person you should trust with all that.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Someone brought this up in an earlier episode thread, but Colin really is kind of a shit-stirrer. He overheard Daisy talking to Gabriela about Coffee-Gate and went straight to Gary to prod him about the story. He's also been talking to both Ashley and Gabriela about each other and sort of egging them on.

I'm starting to wonder now about Gabriela, too. First of all, the fact that she keeps crawling into bed with Gary doesn't exactly speak well of her. She's also been sort of passive-aggressively bitchy not only to Ashley (who may well deserve it) but also to Marco now. It was kind of rude of her to keep calling him out when they were at dinner. And that fake-genuine "thanks for waking me up, no seriously, thanks for waking me up" bullshit was uncalled for. She can wake her own damn self up, Ashley's not her mommy. God, she's making me defend Ashley!

And why of all people is she crying on Ashley's shoulder if she's so burned out she wants to leave? Literally anyone else on the boat would have been better.

I could sort of see both sides in the Coffee-Gate scandal but now I'm thinking Gabriela did oversleep. What time was it when the anchor started to drag and the alarms went off? It was around 5:00 in the morning, wasn't it? And Ashley was already up.

I don't get the mask protocols at all. They have to wear them from the car to the dinner table, and then they take them off. But they are walking outside and there is literally nobody else around.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, APK said:

Was I hearing Captain Glenn correctly? He tells the crew that Tom was going to receive his tip money from the last charter he worked. I believe those particular guests left the crew $21,000.That’s nice and I believe Tom should receive that tip money.

If I myself heard him correctly, he said that the tip shares he had quoted to them were each 1/9 of the total, meaning that the 9th was Tom's share, of which he would send Tom 1/3 of it (or like 1 day's worth of charter, which is about what he worked) and then split the other 2/3 of that ninth among the rest of them.

I thought it was Gabi face planting too in all the previews!  I have no idea why now that I saw the actual scene!

Kind of funny Daisy counseling the other stews to not drink as much...maybe she's already taking her own advice after not remembering making out with Gary while drunk.

I feel like the whole Gabriela-wants-to-quit thing is cobbled together from bits and pieces to try to create a story line for something later (whether she leaves or there's another conflict or whatever).  It was annoyingly hard to follow.  If this were a rom com, though, her and Marcos' animosity and sniping would end up with them falling in love.  Now, as my two favorite crew members (with Colin being a third), I would 'ship that, but as it is (somewhat) real life it's probably just messy messy drunken mess.  

But yes, Kelsie, burnt orange is Gabriela's color.  Actually seems like a lot of things look good on Gabi.

Edited by Jobiska
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Will Gabriela get out of her funk?  Will Ashley funk anyone?  Will Kelsie get any screen time?  How badly did Gary pinch his fingers in the sliding doors?  Stay tuned (if you can stay awake) for next week’s episode….

I fell asleep twice during the episode, had to rewind and watch again.  I wasn't even tired.

• LOL 6

As much as I like Captain Glenn, he really messed up. No matter how bad Tom was, he was a body who could do SOMETHING.  Being short a crew member for 2 charters doesn’t seem very good management on his part. Watching the stews try to work with those fenders was quite cringe inducing.  

• Love 6

When did Gabriel flip the switch?  I thought she got along with everyone and was doing well.  I know Chef threw her under the bus and I think Daisy understood it was just a miscommunication on both parties involved and did not see it as Gabriel not doing her job well.  I know there were other things she felt were marks against her, but I think it is more in her own head than how Daisy sees it.  I do believe the stress of working with Ashely, who would love to take the 2nd Stew job from her is taking its toll.

And Gabriel must have still been drunk the next morning when she confided in Ashley.  Bad move.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

My only thought was does he know the chef is preparing food, catching a hot skillet sliding off the stove is dangerous. I keep wondering about the bar ware this boat goes thru in just one charter.

I haven't noticed on the show but aren't most sailboat stoves mounted on a gimbal?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Capt. Glenn called whomever to get a replacement for Tom and was told he would have to wait because of the quarantine that crew member would have to before getting on the boat, I thought they had people in hotels waiting just in case they had to replace a crew member.  My other thought was what about the guests, they were not in quarantine prior to boarding, right?

I know Tom was another set of hands but the stress of having to constantly telling him what and how to do something would not have been worth those extra hands.

Why does Glenn just take off sailing without telling the chef and stews that in 15 min we will be under full sails, etc...so they can prepare, it has to be a safety thing, broken glass flying, heavy objects falling out of cabinets, the chef could be using a knife or boiling a pot of water...I just don't get why there is no communication about sailing.

I thought real estate agents stopped using "Master" for bedrooms and switched it to "Owners" suite, I cringe every time Daisy shows the guests the cabins and I always hope she will say "Primary's cabin" instead but she never does.

5 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

I haven't noticed on the show but aren't most sailboat stoves mounted on a gimbal?

From what they have shown of the galley under full sail is stuff sliding off the burners...I think the stove is just bolted to the deck.  

• Love 4

Does it bother anyone else that more than once, the crew just gets into bed in their wet bathing suits? I've seen it in past episodes and tonight Gabriela gets into Gary's bed straight from the hot tub. I can't understand this. I would not be able to sleep this way and not to mention having someone come into my small bed with a wet bathing suit when I'm asleep.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Ashley falling off her bunk and face planting on the floor gave me a case of the warm fuzzies I don't often get while watching Bravo shows.  It made me feel all was right in the world. 

I agree, but then, I wondered if Daisy remembered to file an accident report (y'know - like Sandy blasted Malia for on BDMed when the deck crew guy fell out of the hot tub).  With all the falls they've all taken, out of bunks, down the stairs, etc., Daisy wouldn't be able to get any stew work done for all the accident reports she'd be filling out!  

I'm just surprised that Ashley didn't crack a tooth or break her nose - it looked like she totally face-planted.  Although, when you're drunk your body just goes with it, and doesn't try to break a fall, which is how you usually get hurt.

• Love 5

I know Tom was another set of hands but the stress of having to constantly telling him what and how to do something would not have been worth those extra hands.

Not only that but he's actually a danger to the boat and the crew (and possibly the guests). All he was doing was cleaning and he almost destroyed valuable equipment. An extra set of hands isn't an advantage when they are the hands of an idiot that could cause an accident at any given moment.

Does it bother anyone else that more than once, the crew just gets into bed in their wet bathing suits?

Yeah I don't get this either.

I agree, but then, I wondered if Daisy remembered to file an accident report (y'know - like Sandy blasted Malia for on BDMed when the deck crew guy fell out of the hot tub).

Thank Dog Sandy is not the Captain of this ship!

• Love 11

After seeing the crazy wrangling of the ENORMOUS fenders, I wondered it the yacht's owners insisted on those after Glenn's unfortunate docking last season.  How embarrassing!  If I were Gary, I think I would have secured them to the dock, as well, to avoid having to deal with them again. Better yet, add foam rubber to the entire area of dock that Parsifal uses.  😉

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Has anyone, on this message board, visited Majorca, Spain? The locations, of the entire Below Deck shows, have been spectacular. I believe Captain Glenn says Majorca incorrectly. I believe it’s My-orca and not Min-orca. Can someone please explain how Majorca is said? I believe Captain Glenn is a native of Montreal and I believe he is fluent in French and English. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, APK said:

Has anyone, on this message board, visited Majorca, Spain? The locations, of the entire Below Deck shows, have been spectacular. I believe Captain Glenn says Majorca incorrectly. I believe it’s My-orca and not Min-orca. Can someone please explain how Majorca is said? I believe Captain Glenn is a native of Montreal and I believe he is fluent in French and English. 

There is an island named Minorca, it's a real place, Majorca is a different island and yes, the scenery is amazing.

I would love to hear Capt. Glenn speak French, it would be sort of hot, non?

• Love 6

Ashley can't seem to connect with anyone except on a superficial and immature sexual level.

21 year old me: umm, what's her number again?
me today: *sigh* *facepalm* SMH

Hey, is that a fender on deck or are you just happy to see me?  Those things are massive!

The ship's doctor needs to lance those things, stat!

re: Kelsie's admission she has never been in love.
I'm not sure I believe that. By her current age (mid 20's?) there must have been at least 1 romance. One! At least! If true, that's pretty sad. She's pretty and seems sweet, though. Something tells me the sweet/nice/normal ones get weeded out by Bravo's whack interview process. *eyeroll*

• Love 3
On 4/11/2022 at 6:34 PM, Duke2801 said:

Ashley is immature and incredibly obnoxious. I don’t blame Gabby for wanting to throw in the towel. That said, Gabby was acting kind of obnoxiously this episode. I hope it’s a one off and she decides to stay. 

That brief shot of Colin changing in his cabin had me 😍. His arms are… good arms to have.

I've always thought that he's the most handsome of any men who have appeared on their show.  Even with a slight "dad" body, he's dreamy.  His face and eyes are so beautiful to look at.  But it's his personality that really clinches it for me.  He's kind to everyone, and it broke my heart on his behalf last season when he lost his beloved dog.  I also respect that he never does anything with any females that's inappropriate.  This is a guy who's NOT a cheater or a POS.  His girlfriend is a very lucky woman. 

• Love 14
On 4/11/2022 at 10:51 PM, APK said:

I personally don't feel that Tom deserved any of that money.  He didn't do anything of merit when those guests first arrived.  All he did was behave like a whining, immature f*** up.  Regarding his friend's dad, I feel sorry for the friend, but I do think that Tom was playing up how much HE was affected by HIS FRIEND'S dad's situation so as to have just cause as to why he's so distracted and not performing his job correctly.  This guy is just full of empty excuses for his f***ed upness.

On a separate note, Ashley throwing him under the bus for his anchor watch f*** up really pissed me off, because she was the one making out with him, further distracting him from doing his job.  I can't stand this beyotch.  She's nothing but miserable and trouble.  She talks about her sister backstabbing her, while she's one of the biggest backstabbers I've ever seen on TV.  She hates other women, and views them solely as competition for her.  She also has an over-inflated sense of her own value.  She's NOT great looking by any means, and her personality is absolute shite.  She's nothing more than a set of tits with legs.  And did I hear correctly regarding "getting it on" with Gary?  I thought they only kissed in the van.  Did they actually have sex in front of everyone else in the van?  Her face planting after falling out of her bunk ranks right up there with Adam's running into that branch (he was a chef on Below Deck Med) for awesome entertainment value for me.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

There is an island named Minorca, it's a real place, Majorca is a different island and yes, the scenery is amazing.

Thanks for the information. I did not know about the island of Minorca.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

I personally don't feel that Tom deserved any of that money.  He didn't do anything of merit when those guests first arrived.  All he did was behave like a whining, immature f*** up.  Regarding his friend's dad, I feel sorry for the friend, but I do think that Tom was playing up how much HE was affected by HIS FRIEND'S dad's situation so as to have just cause as to why he's so distracted and not performing his job correctly.  This guy is just full of empty excuses for his f***ed upness.

On a separate note, Ashley throwing him under the bus for his anchor watch f*** up really pissed me off, because she was the one making out with him, further distracting him from doing his job.  I can't stand this beyotch.  She's nothing but miserable and trouble.  She talks about her sister backstabbing her, while she's one of the biggest backstabbers I've ever seen on TV.  She hates other women, and views them solely as competition for her.  She also has an over-inflated sense of her own value.  She's NOT great looking by any means, and her personality is absolute shite.  She's nothing more than a set of tits with legs.  And did I hear correctly regarding "getting it on" with Gary?  I thought they only kissed in the van.  Did they actually have sex in front of everyone else in the van?  Her face planting after falling out of her bunk ranks right up there with Adam's running into that branch (he was a chef on Below Deck Med) for awesome entertainment value for me.

I agree with your opinion about Ashley. I would not be surprised if Ashley and Gary had sex in front of people. Adam, a chef on Below Deck Med, is not a good employee. He’s a pretty good chef and his food looks tasty, however he doesn’t care if a guest is suffering from food allergies. He prepared a dish with onions after a guest and chief stew requested no onions. I’m no fan of celebrity chef shows, however Gordon Ramsay  and other chefs pay attention to guest preferences and special requests. That’s the reason why Gordon Ramsay owns several restaurants, and Adam is a yacht chef.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

If I were Gary, I think I would have secured them to the dock, as well, to avoid having to deal with them again.

I have a bit of queasiness of leaving them behind. Aren't they inflated? Just seems like some jerk could poke a hole in them while they're at sea.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, APK said:

Majorca as far as I'm aware is said as you say it but there are a load of islands in the Balearics & one of them is called Menorca which is sometimes also called Minorca which may be where the confusion lies as I'm sure they don't just stay in one place.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, APK said:

3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

There's Mallorca and Menorca.  Both part of the Baleares.

Mallorca is big and there are plenty of resorts.

When I visited Mallorca, I researched taking a ferry from Barcelona.  It was like 8-9 hours IIRC versus a 1 hour flight.

If they do have stashed crew members, it could be on Mallorca or maybe even the mainland.

I believe they did have a season of BDM on Mallorca.

But maybe they chose Menorca because there are more isolated places for anchorages, with parts of the island that aren't built up?

Obviously when they dock there are plenty of restaurants for the crew to go to.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

And did I hear correctly regarding "getting it on" with Gary?  I thought they only kissed in the van.

She told him the next morning he kissed her, but in fact she told him she wanted to kiss him and then did. They made sure to show us that on the car ride back.

If I were Gary, I think I would have secured them to the dock, as well, to avoid having to deal with them again.

But they don't dock at the same spot every time.

• Useful 1
On 4/12/2022 at 11:02 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm starting to wonder now about Gabriela, too. First of all, the fact that she keeps crawling into bed with Gary doesn't exactly speak well of her. She's also been sort of passive-aggressively bitchy not only to Ashley (who may well deserve it) but also to Marco now. It was kind of rude of her to keep calling him out when they were at dinner. And that fake-genuine "thanks for waking me up, no seriously, thanks for waking me up" bullshit was uncalled for. She can wake her own damn self up, Ashley's not her mommy. God, she's making me defend Ashley!

Ok I thought I had missed something; was Ashley actually supposed to wake her up or something like that.  

Yeah I've noticed Gabby has a passive aggressive type of way about her.  It was kinda funny when Ashley deserved it for something stupid she did but getting mad at Marco for some b/s she keeps bringing up and then to Ashley for not spotting her a favor?  No girl take that shit someplace else.  Gabby is starting to get on my damn nerves.  

• Love 6
On 4/12/2022 at 7:58 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

No way Baltimore Betty. I’d be too afraid that Gary might have left his heat seeking missile on autopilot !

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

She's nothing more than a dirty little whore IMO.  She's amoral and completely devoid of good character. 

I don't know about actual whoring but it wouldn't surprise me to see her on a sugar site.  She's a typical cam girl.  Nothing is off limits as long as she's getting paid.  It's sad to see so many women chasing that bag.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Her face planting after falling out of her bunk ranks right up there with Adam's running into that branch (he was a chef on Below Deck Med) for awesome entertainment value for me.

I totally forgot about Adam running into that branch.  That scene, along with Ashley's faceplant and Vicki Gunvalson from the OC Housewives getting nailed by a football are some of the greatest scenes ever.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Joe Bacigaloop said:

Gabriella seems a little bit on the crazy side.

it is never a good sign when someone keeps saying they want to quit. With Covid rules about quarantine you are really screwing your shipmates if you quit and leave them short handed.

We have to remember that the majority of these people, on the Below Deck franchise, aren’t professional yacht crew. Actors and models looking to make some quick cash. I believe Gabriella has made her money and now wishes to leave the show. Each actor appearing on this show probably makes $500 to a $1,000 minimum per episode. Now; the cast of Summer House has fully embraced reality television fame. Paige DeSorbo(Summer House) probably makes at least $500 thousand per year doing podcast and appearing on reality television.

• Love 1

They must have filmed no later than last Fall.   Qurantines used to be a week to two weeks and then with Omicron they shortened it to as little as 5 days over the winter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

From Wikipedia:  "The name derives from Classical Latin insula maior, "larger island". Later, in Medieval Latin, this became Maiorca, "the larger one", in comparison to Menorca, "the smaller one". This was then hypercorrected to Mallorca by central Catalan scribes, which later came to be accepted as the standard spelling.[6]"  Minorca = Menorca, Majorca = Mallorca, little, big.  

I too am amazed at how Gabi can make her hair "smaller" (and I'm impressed with it loose too).  It's like when Padma Lakshmi wears a wig with bangs on Top Chef and I can never figure out how she fit her hair under that.   I can put on a scrunchie....sometimes....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/13/2022 at 7:04 AM, dleighg said:

I have a bit of queasiness of leaving them behind. Aren't they inflated? Just seems like some jerk could poke a hole in them while they're at sea.

That, and also, what's the possibility/likelihood of their being stolen? 

• Love 1