Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E16: Jerrod Carmichael / Gunna

• Start Topic

When I first saw Jerrod was hosting, I immediately thought "Wow,  I wonder how many people they called and tried to get before they got to him."  But in fairness, it did line up perfectly with his HBO Special.  Sometimes it's good to take a chance on rising talent. He was really good, especially in his monologue where you frequently see more established first time hosts falter quite a bit. I hope he comes back.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did Lorne lose a bet when it came to the musical guest ? Again ?  Was there a sale on smoke machines ?
I have no idea what Gunna was singing about (since the vocal mix is always so bad on this show) .  Let alone why he was sitting on a safe in the first song.

That smoke was crazy!  All I could think about was that poor audience, having to inhale all that.  Many years ago I attended a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show that included a lot of smoke, and I got so nauseated I almost had to leave the theatre.

• Love 1

I had watched and enjoyed The Carmichael Show, so I knew JC even though that's the only thing I've seen him in. He did a good job.

In the CO I was so happy to see Cecily as Jeanine Pirro again. That impression puts a grin on my face all the way thru. "Hello my only friends." And I have to say I am greatly amused by JAJ doing Trump's word salads. They're not far off!

Is My Brain Okay was fine, but once more I'm a bit irritated with Kate's performance. She has a go-to character that she relies on too much. I did like the wheelbarrow being call a farm bicycle.

I think Pete's Short-Ass Movie song went on too long. I did like Gunna holding the boxed DVD and saying, "This movie looks like a book." Lately I have been looking at the running time of movies before I start watching them to see if I can finish by bedtime. The answer is almost always No. BTW, who was the guy in this doing the Ernest bits?

Loved Kenan as OJ. "I don't remember nothin' from the 90's." "Love will make you do crazy things. Allegedly."

I got a big laugh out of the funeral guys chucking the body off the cliff. There was some pretty funny stuff in this sketch, but unfortunately it ended poorly.

The sketch with the friends in the cafe amused me because it was pretty realistic. The person who laughs too early and too enthusiastically at a story being told, deflating the story and taking the fun out of it, then asking questions that continue the awkwardness. But once again, the writers didn't know how to end a sketch.

Not gunna lie, I wasn't impressed with Gunna. 

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

John Mulaney was the last host I remember identifying himself as unknown in his first monologue. 

There are always hosts people have never heard of but I was going to suggest that Jon Mulaney was probably closest to being equally as "unfamous" as Jerrod.  Jerrod's sitcom at least lasted a few seasons.  Mulaney might have been known to people who pay really close attention to who writes for SNL or pay attention to stand up.

10 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

the special is really good IMO. But do not go in expecting a laugh a minute, it's much more of a therapy session for Jerrod.

Yeah.  It's intimate and a sit down special.  It's very good and has laughs but it's pretty deep.  His other specials are deep too but a little more traditional. 

• Love 1

I had never heard of Jerrod Carmichael before last night, and I must say I wasn't impressed at all.  He's too hyper in his delivery and I kept wondering, "Where is he going with this?  What's the punch line?"  

Didn't like Gunna either.  Couldn't understand WTF he was rapping. 

30 minutes ago, MamaBird said:

That smoke was crazy!  All I could think about was that poor audience, having to inhale all that.  Many years ago I attended a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show that included a lot of smoke, and I got so nauseated I almost had to leave the theatre.

at least the music was good

• Love 2

I don’t know Jerrod, but he graduated from my sister’s high school a couple of years behind her (and I did know his sister-in-law, with whom I graduated from the other high school in our town) so I just love seeing someone from our little hometown making it so big in the world. I thought he did a great job on SNL and I really enjoyed The Carmichael Show when it was on too.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think Pete's Short-Ass Movie song went on too long. I did like Gunna holding the boxed DVD and saying, "This movie looks like a book." Lately I have been looking at the running time of movies before I start watching them to see if I can finish by bedtime. The answer is almost always No. BTW, who was the guy in this doing the Ernest bits?

Simon Rex!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

at least the music was good

Agreed. I wasn't watching to catch the visuals, but the songs sounded fine to me for a genre I'm not particularly fond of. I certainly wasn't wondering why the dude considers himself a musician like I have in the past when Halsey or Kanye were the musical guests.

(edited)

I liked Jerrod's opening monologue, though he seemed a little nervous to me.

Is My Brain Okay probably hit scary close for a lot of people. Yikes.

Loved Pete's video, so on point. I really want to watch The Irishman but that running time feels like a part-time job. Pretty much everything on my Netflix watchlist is at least 2.5 hours. It's baffling.

1970s rainbow bush. That skit was so wrong! I was crying from laughing so hard.

Did they actually use Chris Rock's voice in the Oscars sketch? I don't know why but it surprised me.

One of those onesies said "Holland Taylor can hit me with a truck." What does that mean?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got a big laugh out of the funeral guys chucking the body off the cliff. There was some pretty funny stuff in this sketch, but unfortunately it ended poorly.

I spent part of this weekend watching a documentary about the Monty Python troupe.  Several of them mentioned the fact that sketch comedians often fail to have strong endings for their skits.  They felt that Gilliam's sketches between skits offered one way around this.  I thought of that immediately when the funeral skit ended with a thud louder than the one made when Pop's body hit the water.  Shrimp bisque? 

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Loved Pete's video, so on point. I really want to watch The Irishman but that running time feels like a part-time job. Pretty much everything on my Netflix wishlist is at least 2.5 hours. It's baffling.

In the Awards Season 2022 thread somebody was remarking on how indulgently long all of the Best Picture nominees were this year.  Most or all were 2.5 hours or longer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I didn't think they could get any more mileage out of the Will Smith slap, but that skit was pretty funny, with Will talking casually one minute, then launching into the bizarre behavior the next.  "Keep my wife's name....etc" came off like a punchline.

I often look for short movies myself, I think 90 minutes is about the perfect running time.  If I can get something shorter, I'm ecstatic.

The doll with rainbow hair was funny.

The skit with the "Born this way" baby t-shirts are pretty close to reality right now.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

One of those onesies said "Holland Taylor can hit me with a truck." What does that mean?

There's this humour online that started a few years ago where somebody would mention a hot person and say something violent like "Please smack me".  "Rachel Weisz can step on me."  "Keanu Reeves can stab me".

I don't really get it but it was everywhere.

When "The Favourite" was released in 2018 I tried to read the reviews on Letterboxd and I swear most of them were some variation of "Rachel Weisz please spit in my mouth."  "Rachel Weisz can run me over and I would thank her."

2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I often look for short movies myself, I think 90 minutes is about the perfect running time.  If I can get something shorter, I'm ecstatic.

I swear, when I was a kid, movies were 90 minutes.

Now every movie is more than 2 hours.

Maybe it's my imagination?  There are some articles on the topic if you Google "Are movies longer now?" or "Why are movies so long now?"

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I often look for movies I’ve seen a hundred times, and therefore don’t mind sleeping through.  But short movies are good too. 

The doll sketch about killed me, especially when he bent her over. Reminds me of a story Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs told about his time at QVC. He was trying to sell a doll dressed as a nun that sang. Unfortunately the winder was in an unfortunate place under the skirt of  her habit.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I swear, when I was a kid, movies were 90 minutes.

Now every movie is more than 2 hours."

If a movie is a drama or big action flick, I'm more likely to put up with a three hour movie.  IMO, a comedy should never go over 90 minutes.

If you ever watch old classic movies from the '30s and '40s, a lot of them are just a touch over an hour.  I think back in those days, theaters would often show newsreels, cartoons, or a short (like the Three Stooges) before the main feature.

(edited)
28 minutes ago, rmontro said:

If a movie is a drama or big action flick, I'm more likely to put up with a three hour movie.  IMO, a comedy should never go over 90 minutes.

If you ever watch old classic movies from the '30s and '40s, a lot of them are just a touch over an hour.  I think back in those days, theaters would often show newsreels, cartoons, or a short (like the Three Stooges) before the main feature.

I love comedies.  Judd Apatow started putting out comedies that were 2 hours or more with 40 Year Old Version and David Dobkin did the same with Wedding Crashers.  I love comedies so if they're funny I couldn't care less how long they were.

I've seen a lot of movies recently where I could see exactly where 30 minutes could be cut, like "Don't Look Up" or "Dune".   Give me a 2 hour comedy over movies like those any day.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And I have to say I am greatly amused by JAJ doing Trump's word salads. They're not far off!

I was legit laughing out loud! The real press release from Dolt 45 this week about his golf game was so bonkers I wasn’t sure if he could be parodied anymore, but JAJ’s multiple confessions of guilt were *chef’s kiss*

3 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

The doll sketch about killed me, especially when he bent her over.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one! 

I think I liked Pete’s music video more than most people. The art direction on it was amazing, too. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Agreed. I wasn't watching to catch the visuals, but the songs sounded fine to me for a genre I'm not particularly fond of. I certainly wasn't wondering why the dude considers himself a musician like I have in the past when Halsey or Kanye were the musical guests.

my comment that the music sounded good was about the Trans-siberian Orchestra, not this Gunna guy

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have to confess, when I saw who the host & musical guest were, all I could think was "Who?".

I did enjoy most of the show, though, and Weekend Update was on fire.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:05 PM, meatball77 said:

I too want a short ass movie

I loved that bit, especially since Slate had an article about this very subject last week.

On 4/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was familiar with both Ariana DeBose and Simu Liu but several commenters here said they didn't know them. 

I was among them.  Had not heard of either one before they hosted.

On 4/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is My Brain Okay probably hit scary close for a lot of people. Yikes.

Yep, my coworkers and I do the "What day is this?" all the time anymore.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2022 at 10:11 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't actually agree with him on this, but I do think it's a funny joke.  I knew who he was, I did not know who Ariana Debose was.

That's because she's famous from being in a long ass movie

sorry - I know you answered this multiple times, but I like my joke

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
23 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
On 4/3/2022 at 6:03 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

There's this humour online that started a few years ago where somebody would mention a hot person and say something violent like "Please smack me".  "Rachel Weisz can step on me."  "Keanu Reeves can stab me".

More importantly, Holland Taylor is gay. (Her partner is Sarah Paulson. Holland Taylor is also 79.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, my coworkers and I do the "What day is this?" all the time anymore.

I do that when I wake up every morning.  I think there's only one time I had to resort to checking my phone.  Usually I can work it out by going through, what did I do yesterday?  What did I watch on TV last?, that kind of thing.  So I can totally relate to the guy who figured out it was Saturday.

• Love 3

After a great deal of complaining on social media, SNL uploaded the cut for time Angelo sketch. (this is the third Angelo sketch - the second, also cut for time and uploaded afterward, was in the Billie Eilish episode).

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I forgot they were together. But Sarah Paulson is 79!?!

13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Ah. I thought "Holland is also 79" mean Paulson was 79. I thought, Heck she looks GREAT for her age!

Yeah, I could have phrased that better.  I meant that the joke was even more absurd because the "baby" supposedly wanted to be "hit" by someone old enough to be their great-grandmother. (As opposed to someone barely legal or the age of their parents?  Not sure what age would be "appropriate".)  Anyway, I went back and fixed my post.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, Pete Martell said:

After a great deal of complaining on social media, SNL uploaded the cut for time Angelo sketch. (this is the third Angelo sketch - the second, also cut for time and uploaded afterward, was in the Billie Eilish episode).

For some reason, I really enjoyed how this Angelo sketch ended.  He and his drummer knew the song, and everyone ended up happy.  It was strangely sweet.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, Pete Martell said:

I laughed ridiculously hard at the reinterpretation of 1999.

Who played Jake the drummer, though? I couldn't tell. 

• Love 1
On 4/2/2022 at 3:37 PM, peeayebee said:

I'll take a guess: Jerrod's playing Will Smith, and Chris is playing Chris Rock.

You Probably Saw This, But, Chris Redd Played Will Smith And There Was A Recording OF Chris Rock's Voice ! We Do NOT See The Actual Slap ! They Probably Did NOT Want To Hit Any Body In Case They Got Hurt ! I Think Jerrod Was Just In The Audience And Talked To Chris Redd ! 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:42 PM, Pete Martell said:

Usually people camp out every week, but some weeks more than others. I read that Gunna has the only big new hit of 2022 so far, but still, I'm not sure he's getting huge lines, 

I am hoping they will just have a sketch showing people reacting, or they will have something on Update (maybe Kenan as OJ talking about Will Smith, since OJ actually did comment on the situation). 

Actually, They Did Both OF Those Things ! ! 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, vb68 said:

He's actual family.

This has to be the Cold Open. Has to be. It's the one thing people have talked about all week.

This Is NOT The Cold Open ! They Decided To Have The People On Fox Talk About The Slap And Donald Trump Talk About The Slap ! ! They Had That, The Monologue, Week End Update AND This Reaction To The Slap So They Had Quite A Bit About The Slap ! ! ! ! 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:18 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also:

"What's your name, Man?"
"They didn't give me one."

"What's your favourite comedian?"
"Dory?"
"What?"
"Finding Dory?"

"What about you?  What do you like?"
"I don't find anything funny."

The bleeping thing shocked me.  I've seen a million SNL episodes and they never swear, even when it's bleeped, and if they do, it's a huge deal!  Obviously Lorne endorsed all of this but I'm just surprised.

Well, I obviously know who she is now.  When she was announced as the host, I was confused.

It was because OJ actually did share his thoughts on the incident in real life!

This one was pretty scandalous too, LOL

The thing that killed me was Kenan as OJ "Now, Michael, you know how I hate conflict."  "No." 
I rewound it so many times I caught Michael mouthing Kenan's lines alongside of him.

They Had To Have The Swearing ! That Is The Main Thing ! IF They Just Had Him Slap Him, IT Would Not Be As Shocking ! He Got Upset And Slapped Him, But, Then ,He Told Him Not To Say His Wife's Name Because He Was Talking About His Wife ! 

On 4/3/2022 at 9:03 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love comedies.  Judd Apatow started putting out comedies that were 2 hours or more with 40 Year Old Version and David Dobkin did the same with Wedding Crashers.  I love comedies so if they're funny I couldn't care less how long they were.

I've seen a lot of movies recently where I could see exactly where 30 minutes could be cut, like "Don't Look Up" or "Dune".   Give me a 2 hour comedy over movies like those any day.  

I Think That Movie Is 40 Year Old VIRGIN !