Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E16: Jerrod Carmichael / Gunna

• Start Topic

Just saw on news that people have lined up and are sleeping on the street outside to get tickets for Saturday's show. 

Is that because of the host or musical guest (both I've never heard of), or do people do this every show? 

• Love 2

So who's playing Will Smith and who's playing Chris Rock? It must be nice to finally have a big news story again to dig into that doesn't involve death like war and pandemic does.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, seasons said:

Just saw on news that people have lined up and are sleeping on the street outside to get tickets for Saturday's show. 

Is that because of the host or musical guest (both I've never heard of), or do people do this every show? 

Usually people camp out every week, but some weeks more than others. I read that Gunna has the only big new hit of 2022 so far, but still, I'm not sure he's getting huge lines, 

2 hours ago, opus said:

So who's playing Will Smith and who's playing Chris Rock? It must be nice to finally have a big news story again to dig into that doesn't involve death like war and pandemic does.

I am hoping they will just have a sketch showing people reacting, or they will have something on Update (maybe Kenan as OJ talking about Will Smith, since OJ actually did comment on the situation). 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I am hoping they will just have a sketch showing people reacting, or they will have something on Update (maybe Kenan as OJ talking about Will Smith, since OJ actually did comment on the situation). 

I wonder whose side they’ll lean to. I figure Chris has more “friend of the show“ status?

• Love 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, opus said:

I wonder whose side they’ll lean to. I figure Chris has more “friend of the show“ status?

They better slant toward Chris, he was a cast member.  He’s still good friends with Lorne.
And he’s the aggrieved party.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 21
2 hours ago, opus said:

I figure Chris has more “friend of the show“ status?

He's actual family.

This has to be the Cold Open. Has to be. It's the one thing people have talked about all week.

• Love 2

That was really a great start to the show - I was bored at first with the CO, but then it got funny. Then the monologue knocked my socks off! ‘Heal the nation’ ‘Dude I’ve been gay for 48 hours!’ It hit every single note perfectly!

• Love 14
(edited)
11 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

Who is this guy?  He's funny but really, who is this guy.

He’s a comedian, had a sitcom on a network a few years back. He has a new special on Netflix HBO that dropped yesterday.

Edited by saoirse
corrected per Irlandesa's post
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

He's a comedian.  He had a show on NBC that ran for three seasons.  It was a fantastic cast. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Carmichael_Show

That said, no one was more surprised than me when he was announced as a host even though I like him.  I guess I hadn't been following his career close enough.  But in terms of scheduling, getting him this weekend when his special comes out (and so did he) is pretty impressive timing.  SNL is usually not on top of the wave but instead, riding it as it rolls to shore. 

2 minutes ago, saoirse said:

He has a new special on Netflix that dropped yesterday.

HBO.

• Love 9
(edited)

Oh wow, that Riley Rainbow sketch!😆

I liked the monologue, too.  He was very confident and at ease. I liked that he was able to joke about being the least famous host because that is true.

So far he's a really good host.

And I was wrong about the cold open. The sketch they just did about Will Smith was just ok. I was hoping it would have more bite to it.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
(edited)
31 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Excellent monologue!

Agree, Jerrod killed that.  I thought the Obama part was a bit awkward, maybe because I had no idea where it would go. Other than that I am impressed.

I really enjoyed the Pete Davidson rap about short movies.

The Will Smith sketch was so surreal.  The first half was great but by the last half I just felt so awkward.  LOL I don't know !!!!!  They really had no idea how to end that one.

33 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I have no idea who this person is, but he's really funny.  I may have to check out the HBO special.

It was great when he said he was the least famous person to ever host SNL.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The sketch they just did about will Smith was just ok. I was hoping it would have more bite to it.

Hopefully Update will handle that

Update was fantastic. Loved Colin's joke about having to defend your wife at award shows. Hee

Cecily added another killer impression to her rogues gallery with Marsha Blackburn.  She nailed it.

• Love 11
(edited)
11 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

"Are you jerking my perm?"

"The whole 90s decade was my n-word"

(Or close to those quotes)

Update on fire! 

I have rewound Kenan's segment probably 5 times already

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)

I had never heard of the host before and in just the past two days there have been ads for his special on HBO and now he's here! And just like that (sorry), I'm a big fan. He's very good.

"Is Your Brain Okay?" started out slow/dull and then got very funny.

I like Pete but I never find his comedy songs funny. I did like the part about Sex and The City being needlessly long, though. 

Cecily is such an MVP, love her.

I like the new woman (can't think of her name at the moment, I am old) a lot in sketches, more so than on WU.

The weird relative sketch kind of sucked. But overall, I do think the writing has been better lately.

Edited by JeanJean
(edited)

Cold Open: What better way to cover The Slap than have Trump ramble his way through it? Judge Jeanine shotgunning that can gave me the biggest laugh for a while. Other than that, not a lot of this did anything for me.

Monologue: The first thing he brings up is that he doesn't want to talk about "It". It happened on SUNDAY and we're all tired of it. I like Jerrod Carmichael's work, and I really liked this monologue. He knows he's the least famous host this show has had in decades. 

Is My Brain Okay?: Perfect post-covid game show. Yeah, my brain is NOT okay. Everyone got some kind of brain rot. I related to this sketch so hard. Love that the host was just "Lisa Something." MY best friend from college also shares my name, so that twist blew my mind.

Sarah writing down her answer with her tongue is a mood and definitely me. "Move the clock ahead so you're not alive as long" is also a hard mood. This whole sketch was incredible.

Short-ass Movie: Pete is back! And I agree with the song: movies are too long these days. Loved the long bit on the Ernest movies. Jim Varney knew how to keep it brisk. Loved how they called out "King of Staten Island" being two hours 17 minutes.

ShopTV:  Loved that lunchbox with Jesus with VR goggles. Was not expecting Doll Bush, and all the handling of the doll. Was was so ridiculous, I loved it. Died at "THE PALMDALE PERVERT."

Will Smith: Here we go, a Slap sketch! Awkward, yes, but there was some funny to be mined from it. "I deleted my phone" was a great line, though. Noticed the second bleep was a little late, so we heard half of a swear. Thank god this sketch was short, though. Telling the sketch from the perspective of the seat fillers was a great concept, I'll give them that.

WU: Of course they had to open with Will Smith jokes. And in non-Oscars moments, really liked that it was Cecily playing Marsha Blackburn. And bringing in OJ Simpson of all people to talk about Will Smith was pretty inspired. All in all, great Update tonight.

Pop-Pop: Tossing the corpse off the cliff and not ashes (and then Andrew jumping off the cliff to get the wrong body) was something right out of Monty Python. And then the soup thermos in an urn killed me. This was great.

Brian: This was incredibly awkward. I feel like I'm Kyle at all times.

Born This Way Line: Bowen had to have written this. Yeah, parents sexualizing and shipping their kids starts YOUNG. It's weird. So glad this sketch was here. Dying at "In the closet, because I can't walk yet!"

All in all, great episode! Gunna was pretty meh, though.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 11

I think this is easily the most effortlessly funny episode of this show in a long time.  It feels like everyone is riding the hilarity. Or maybe I'm just in the mood.

The Cold Open didn't do anything for me and while the Trump impression is good, that's usually when I start to hit the fast forward button.

The monologue was great and what I like the most about it is that isn't lifted from his tested stand up.  He must have written it just this week.

I loved Short Ass Movie but I wonder who wrote it.  Am I supposed to believe that Pete remembers VHS tapes?  The big double VHS version of Amadeus made me laugh.

Vagafro:  Pretty much perfection.

I actually liked the seat filler talks to will smith bit and how awkward it got. 

Update is where I really felt like this was a special show.  They were practically giddy.  Great jokes about the Oscars including Che talking about being a comedian with his joke that almost went unnoticed by me. "Hey, keep my small penis....out of your mouth."  Then two great impressions.

The funeral sketch didn't really know where to go but I was loving the absurdity while it was happening.  Thurnmos. 

That second musical performance seemed really short to me.  About 90 seconds.

I loved the born this way commercial too.

Just such a fun episode.  I might rewatch quite a few of these and can't wait to see what was cut.

• Love 8

It was a pretty good show. My favorite parts were the monologue and Update.

Outside of Update, they had a hard time deciding what to do with the slap.

The Cold Open made me miss Taran Killam and Bobby.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:00 AM, Galileo908 said:

Will Smith: Here we go, a Slap sketch! Awkward, yes, but there was some funny to be mined from it. "I deleted my phone" was a great line, though. Noticed the second bleep was a little late, so we heard half of a swear. Thank god this sketch was short, though. Telling the sketch from the perspective of the seat fillers was a great concept, I'll give them that.

I feel like this sketch needed Lupita Nyong'o, though. She was seated right behind Will, and her expressions became a meme. 

• Love 13
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Monologue: The first thing he brings up is that he doesn't want to talk about "It". It happened on SUNDAY and we're all tired of it. I like Jerrod Carmichael's work, and I really liked this monologue. He knows he's the least famous host this show has had in decades. 

I don't actually agree with him on this, but I do think it's a funny joke.  I knew who he was, I did not know who Ariana Debose was.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Also:

"What's your name, Man?"
"They didn't give me one."

"What's your favourite comedian?"
"Dory?"
"What?"
"Finding Dory?"

"What about you?  What do you like?"
"I don't find anything funny."

The bleeping thing shocked me.  I've seen a million SNL episodes and they never swear, even when it's bleeped, and if they do, it's a huge deal!  Obviously Lorne endorsed all of this but I'm just surprised.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:18 AM, opus said:

An Oscar winner who did NOT slap anyone.

Well, I obviously know who she is now.  When she was announced as the host, I was confused.

WU: Of course they had to open with Will Smith jokes. And in non-Oscars moments, really liked that it was Cecily playing Marsha Blackburn. And bringing in OJ Simpson of all people to talk about Will Smith was pretty inspired. All in all, great Update tonight.

It was because OJ actually did share his thoughts on the incident in real life!

On 4/3/2022 at 12:01 AM, Irlandesa said:

Update is where I really felt like this was a special show.  They were practically giddy.  Great jokes about the Oscars including Che talking about being a comedian with his joke that almost went unnoticed by me. "Hey, keep my small penis....out of your mouth."  

This one was pretty scandalous too, LOL

The thing that killed me was Kenan as OJ "Now, Michael, you know how I hate conflict."  "No." 
I rewound it so many times I caught Michael mouthing Kenan's lines alongside of him.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well, I obviously know who she is now.  When she was announced as the host, I was confused.

Oh sure. Me too. I didn’t see West Side Story till afterwards. I was just taking a shot a Will.

6 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I agree that there was some hesitancy(?) within the slap sketch, and Update was much more focused in its POV.  Since Chris is one of their own, I was ready for them to go for the jugular on Will in the sketch itself, dishing out all the jokes on Will in his capacity as a heckler that I’m sure Chris Rock held back on.  They instead took a more “this dude be crazy” approach, which might be fair, considering that it seems like Will needs some serious help.

The sketch did have its moments.  But it might have been funnier to do it from the perspective of someone else in power, though, as opposed to nameless seat-fillers.  Like Will Packer feeling pretty good that he’s going to get better reviews than Steven Soderbergh last year, or the show running on time, and then bam.  Or get the “Summer of Love” producers in there.  Questlove said that he was doing transcendental meditation taught to him by Jerry Seinfeld(!) during the slap and missed it.  There’s some humor there.

I also agree on the Cold Open comment.  I like Mikey and Alex a lot, but they will never beat Taran and Bobby as the Fox & Friends hosts. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Agree, Jerrod killed that.  I thought the Obama part was a bit awkward, maybe because I had no idea where it would go. Other than that I am impressed.

I really enjoyed the Pete Davidson rap about short movies.

The Will Smith sketch was so surreal.  The first half was great but by the last half I just felt so awkward.  LOL I don't know !!!!!  They really had no idea how to end that one.

It was great when he said he was the least famous person to ever host SNL.

He Is Not Well Known, But, Neither Was Jonathan Morris OR What Ever His Name Is ! I Think Jonathan Morris Played The State Farm Guy In Sketches ! There Have Been A Few Hosts This Season That Were Not Well Known ! 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, meatball77 said:

Well, now his monologue has got me thinking, who actually is the least famous SNL host?? (at the time of their hosting would probably be a fair way to measure)

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Jody said:

He Is Not Well Known, But, Neither Was Jonathan Morris OR What Ever His Name Is ! I Think Jonathan Morris Played The State Farm Guy In Sketches ! There Have Been A Few Hosts This Season That Were Not Well Known ! 

That's right, that's another good example.  Johnathan Majors.  I knew who he was less than Ariana.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I have no idea who this person is, but he's really funny.  I may have to check out the HBO special.

the special is really good IMO. But do not go in expecting a laugh a minute, it's much more of a therapy session for Jerrod.

As for the show, another in a string of really solid episodes, the only sketch i didn't like was the Brian one. And as others have mentioned the "defend your wife at award shows" joke was great. Thought JC fit in pretty seamlessly with the cast.

• Love 1
On 4/3/2022 at 12:01 AM, vb68 said:

It was a pretty good show. My favorite parts were the monologue and Update.

Actually, I Thought They Did A Pretty Good Job With the Slap Like The Seat Fillers ! I Even Like The Way Chris Redd Made ThRt Face And How He Did With His Eyes ! I Felt Like Chris Redd WAS Will Smith !

On 4/3/2022 at 12:18 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Also:

"What's your name, Man?"
"They didn't give me one."

"What's your favourite comedian?"
"Dory?"
"What?"
"Finding Dory?"

"What about you?  What do you like?"
"I don't find anything funny."

The bleeping thing shocked me.  I've seen a million SNL episodes and they never swear, even when it's bleeped, and if they do, it's a huge deal!  Obviously Lorne endorsed all of this but I'm just surprised.

It was because OJ actually did share his thoughts on the incident in real life!

I Think They Felt Like They HAD To Have The Swearing, But, They Could NOT Actually Swear So They Did The Bleeping! 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trini said:

Well, now his monologue has got me thinking, who actually is the least famous SNL host?? (at the time of their hosting would probably be a fair way to measure)

I feel like Jerrod really is up there. I know he had his sitcom, but this is the era of most broadcast sitcoms besides Modern Family being ignored. I heard of it, but never watched. Both Ariana DeBose (who was the heavy Oscar favorite when she hosed) and Jonathan Majors (Star of HBO's Lovecraft Country and emerging MCU player) were much better known.   I remember Bradley Cooper hosted right before he really hit big, but the winner is probably the woman who won the "anybody can host" mail in contest way back in the 70s. I would have to look up her name.

ETA: This woman- Miskel Spillman.

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I feel like Jerrod really is up there. I know he had his sitcom, but this is the era of most broadcast sitcoms besides Modern Family being ignored. I heard of it, but never watched. Both Ariana DeBose (who was the heavy Oscar favorite when she hosed) and Jonathan Majors (Star of HBO's Lovecraft Country and emerging MCU player) were much better known.   I remember Bradley Cooper hosted right before he really hit big, but the winner is probably the woman who won the "anybody can host" mail in contest way back in the 70s. I would have to look up her name.

Miskel Spilman (?).

I had heard  of Jerrod a bit more than Ariana, because I remembered hearing about his canceled sitcom, but they're  close.

I would say Ron Nessen as well. And Laura Leighton. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Network sitcoms are kind of "coming back" now with Abbott Elementary.  But Jerrod's was a while ago when they were all just being cancelled left and right.  It's sad.

Honestly, now that I know Netflix is cancelling anything they feel like even if it's 1) critically acclaimed and 2) highly watched, I have no hope for sitcoms on any kind of platform whatsoever anymore.

Did Lorne lose a bet when it came to the musical guest ? Again ?  Was there a sale on smoke machines ?
I have no idea what Gunna was singing about (since the vocal mix is always so bad on this show) .  Let alone why he was sitting on a safe in the first song.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I really liked Jerrod, who I had also never heard of, but Gunna? I guess I don't care for rap because I'm old and can't understand ANY of the lyrics (although I did like the band on the first one), but even when I did understand 'pushin' the P', I didn't know what it meant*, nor did I really want to hear the phrase repeated for 2 minutes. Hard to imagine his fans playing this at their wedding anniversary parties 50 years from now 😏

* Having read the 'lyrics', I still have no clue what it means, and also, EW to the rest of it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did Lorne lose a bet when it came to the musical guest ? Again ?  Was there a sale on smoke machines ?
I have no idea what Gunna was singing about (since the vocal mix is always so bad on this show) .  Let alone why he was sitting on a safe in the first song.

i looked up the lyrics on the first one and I am sorry i did

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

I liked the monologue, too.  He was very confident and at ease. I liked that he was able to joke about being the least famous host because that is true.

I spent the whole monologue thinking that it was clever but wondering how confused everyone will be when they show it as a "vintage" episode in 3 years. 

11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't actually agree with him on this, but I do think it's a funny joke.  I knew who he was, I did not know who Ariana Debose was.

I was surprised he said he wasn't famous since I remembered seeing him on Colbert promoting his sitcom. I had never heard of Jonathan Majors or Regé-Jean Page or JJ Watts before they hosted. I was familiar with both Ariana DeBose and Simu Liu but several commenters here said they didn't know them. 

John Mulaney was the last host I remember identifying himself as unknown in his first monologue. 

• Love 3