Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Choice

• Start Topic

I don't know that they're friends as much as aquaintances. However, I don't think I'd be giving it this much thought if this episode didn't just go on and on about Edwina making her damn choice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yah, Edwina was totally wrong about Kate and her actions/motivations.  She should have been MUCH angrier with Anthony and just called it off, full stop, when she realized he didn't actually love her.  

Although, Kate should have told her that he didn't love her, and that he had said so, before the engagement happened.  I know she was trying to be supportive at that point, but she knew what Edwina wanted from a marriage, and she should have given her the heads up.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Yah, Edwina was totally wrong about Kate and her actions/motivations.  She should have been MUCH angrier with Anthony and just called it off, full stop, when she realized he didn't actually love her.  

Although, Kate should have told her that he didn't love her, and that he had said so, before the engagement happened.  I know she was trying to be supportive at that point, but she knew what Edwina wanted from a marriage, and she should have given her the heads up.

Yeah....but at that time.....Anthony calling it off would've been far worse...

• Love 2

My least favorite episode so far. I was annoyed with the proposal, and now I am annoyed that they made it to the alter. Holy crap yes, this episode dragged on forever.

OK, there is something brewing between Lady F and the cousin. Not sure how to feel about that really…

That was sweet of the guy (don’t know his name) to set aside those books for Eloise.

• Love 7

This episode was annoying.  I saw some reviews say that they thought Edwina was the villain of the season. 

Spoiler

I don't know if that was in comparison to the books or what but I'm not sure where they're getting that. 

This episode was a hero's journey for her.  She was the victim of Kate and Anthony's inability to own up to what is happening between them.  The thing I find the most frustrating is I think the conversations Anthony had with Daphne and Edwina and the conversation Kate had with Edwina were all more in depth than anything Kate and Anthony have had so far with each other. 

I do not like that it was some random "at the altar" moment that suddenly clued Edwina in.  It felt ridiculous and silly for the time. 

5 hours ago, ouinason said:

She should have been MUCH angrier with Anthony and just called it off, full stop, when she realized he didn't actually love her.  

But Anthony never promised her love.  For better or worse, his intents have been pretty consistent.  But it's Kate who objected to that for Anthony and it's Kate who had more of a duty to share with her sister, who she claimed to love and protect, how messy the situation actually was. 

• Love 7

Although most of the episode was about the series climax of both instances of the Will They Or Won't They?:

• Will Edwina and Anthony marry?
  • And/Or: Will Anthony and Kate snog?

a lot of other juicy good bits were depicted too, including:

• My favorite: Edwina so gracefully, compassionately, and skillfully managing the mentally ill king in such a way that endeared her to the Queen when it could just as easily have caused her resentment. I especially liked the Queen taking back the the proffered necklace to demonstrate that the Queen trusted Edwina.
    But also:
  • Ladies Danbury and Violet burying the hatchet in laughter
  • Theo Sharpe (the printer assistant played by Calam Lynch) more than fulfilling all of Eloise's hopes and dreams by honoring her with books on which he would appreciate her opinions

18 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

OK, there is something brewing between Lady F and the cousin. Not sure how to feel about that really…

I am assuming fourth cousin Lord Featherington is trying to catch Lady Portia Featherington at her own game.
That is, if they can be caught kissing or in some otherwise compromised situation, the wedding to Prudence will be called off–—and then he might be free to marry the disagreeable but wealthy and beautiful Cressida Cowper.
Or, perhaps he only plans to make Lady Portia Featherington believe there is a spark of romance between them so that she will convince Prudence to call off the wedding. 
Either way, all of his use of "we" in reference to the Featherington estate being financially set straight by his initial plot to marry Cressida Cowper was likely just a ruse. I am sure at this point he would cheerfully support having his poor and annoying cousins put out of the mansion by any wife. 

But Mondrich seems to have become wise to Lord Featherington's scheming, so who knows how this B (or is it C?) plot will end?

If Colin and Penelope marry, would he have enough money and lands to take care of Lady Featherington and the others?
In Jane Austen books, he would not.
But this is Bridgerton.

22 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Is the actress playing Prudence wearing a prosthetic nose? 

I don't think so. My family has such noses, and, when photographed from the front, they look fine; it's only when photographed from an angle that the bump appears disproportionate. I think for this role there is an effort made to have lighting and angle contrived to to make her nose appear extra bumpy. They might even do a little fish-eye lens effect in post-production.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

This episode was a hero's journey for her.  She was the victim of Kate and Anthony's inability to own up to what is happening between them.  The thing I find the most frustrating is I think the conversations Anthony had with Daphne and Edwina and the conversation Kate had with Edwina were all more in depth than anything Kate and Anthony have had so far with each other. 

Yes, I think that was the point of Anthony saying that Edwina had more courage than either Anthony or Kate at that moment. 

I think Edwina was being a bit harsh with Kate but presumably she is hurt and confused by what happened and so she lashed out a bit. But she was also willing to stand up for what she wanted, knowing it will likely cost her something, and that was more than what Anthony or Kate was willing to do at that moment. 

• Love 10
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
On 3/25/2022 at 9:16 PM, Atlanta said:

Is the actress playing Prudence wearing a prosthetic nose? 

I don't think so. My family has such noses, and, when photographed from the front, they look fine; it's only when photographed from an angle that the bump appears disproportionate. I think for this role there is an effort made to have lighting and angle contrived to to make her nose appear extra bumpy. They might even do a little fish-eye lens effect in post-production.

The actress is the daughter of actor Jim Carter - the butler Mr Carson on Downton Abbey. It appears she inherited her Dad's looks.

• Useful 8
  • Love 7
On 3/25/2022 at 7:40 PM, LadyChaos said:

Throwing half-sister at her like an insult and acting like her sister hasn't done everything she's done, to secure her happiness.

I know she was angry but that was a low blow. She didn't need to go there to get her point across. 

I agree with others. This episode dragged and dragged, but I'm glad Edwina finally learned the truth and made a decision that was best for herself and not everyone else. 

What I found most interesting about this episode was the ripple affect of the wedding going up in flames.  The Bridgertons, Lady Dandury and the Sharmas being shunned by society.  Lady Dandury being in the hot seat with the Queen. A potential lost of trust between her and the Queen and perhaps even Lady Bridgerton. The destruction of Kate and Edwina's relationship. Though Kate, in a sense, brought this on herself, I felt really bad for her. 

Thank goodness the Queen's wrath was cooled by Edwina's handling of the King because who knows how much worse this situation could have gotten if that had not happened.  

Edited by Enero
  • Like 1
  • Love 10

Anthony and Kate put Edwina in an unforgivable position.  She must have been devastated when she realized what was going on between them, especially since the wandering gaze happened so publicly.

The episode really dragged.  I really wondered if people were going to force Edwina to marry Anthony, no matter what was going on with another woman. 

Kate can't manage to tell the truth to Edwina.  She even stated she formerly had feelings for Anthony, when she knew she still had feelings for him.  I'm glad Edwina snapped back at her.  If I were Edwina, I wouldn't try to maintain a close relationship with Kate again.

Edited by peridot
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Edwina was so involved in her own world she didn’t notice what everyone else was picking up on.

I'm trying to think but I don't think she had the opportunity to witness the dynamic between Anthony and Kate the way some of the others did. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I'm trying to think but I don't think she had the opportunity to witness the dynamic between Anthony and Kate the way some of the others did. 

Yeah, I could understand Edwina lashing out. She really became the victim of Anthony and Kate getting stuck in their self-denial. IMO Anthony kinda figures out earlier what a disastrous mess it will be, but by that point he can't break the engagement. Edwina would be ruined. Kate doesn't really consider what an emotional betrayal towards Edwina their decisions are tbh. And they also deny her agency by not coming clean about their emotional entanglement. She's in no position to make an informed choice of her own and is treated like a child, mostly by Kate. 

The way she goes at Kate is nasty. But IMO it is pretty clear where the motivation comes from and yeah, Kate and Anthony totally mishandled that. Her sense of betrayal towards Kate is bigger because she's been her mother figure/sister all her life. I do also think that Anthony is pretty transparent about the fact that he's not searching for a love match and doesn't love Edwina. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

Off the top of my head, both she and Violet were at the river when Anthony was staring Kate and Dorset down, and Violet noticed. She had opportunity, maybe she just didn't have the experience. Although 'books of love' being a personal favorite, she could have had some inkling.

There's something to be said for obstinance as a family trait. Kate was set on Edwina marrying, and Edwina was set on marrying Anthony, and they were both mulish about it. 

• Love 5

But I would say the problem is that Kate didn't give Edwina a valid reason for why Anthony was such a bad guy, as she once again didn't give her all the relevant information.  If Kate had actually told Edwina the full details of what she overheard then Edwina might have agreed that he was awful and steered clear.  Kate just kept making vague statements about Anthony being bad without really backing it up, meanwhile Anthony was laying on the charm and acting like a perfect gentleman.  Also, Lady Danbury vouched for Anthony being a good guy and she had known him his whole life, so Kate really just came off as being unreasonable.

I do think this tied into the parent/child dynamic that was at play with Kate and Edwina.  Kate basically acted like an authority figure for Edwina and thought "because I said so" was sufficient justification for giving her orders.  However, Edwina was now out in the world as a grown woman about to get married and was chaffing a bit at her overbearing sister, and wanted input into selecting her own husband.

I think Kate and Anthony's failure to communicate and acknowledge their feelings caused most of the problems this season, but I guess the season would have only had one episode if they admitted their attraction for the start lol.

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

I think Kate and Anthony's failure to communicate and acknowledge their feelings caused most of the problems this season, but I guess the season would have only had one episode if they admitted their attraction for the start lol.

Bridgerton Shorts for all the supporting characters!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, bijoux said:

Off the top of my head, both she and Violet were at the river when Anthony was staring Kate and Dorset down, and Violet noticed. She had opportunity, maybe she just didn't have the experience. Although 'books of love' being a personal favorite, she could have had some inkling.

There's something to be said for obstinance as a family trait. Kate was set on Edwina marrying, and Edwina was set on marrying Anthony, and they were both mulish about it. 

For sure the River and the whole Pall Mall and Bee episode. Daphne clocked that chemistry in .002. Someone did a compilation gif set of all the times Anthony stares at Kat or they exchanged looks around Edwina. When Anthony doesn’t propose at dinner and then has that dance with Kat which caused him to walk away. 

Yes, they never vocalized it. But there was enough there to cause Edwina to suspect something more was goin on.

When Edwina asked if she was just that blind? It was funny because it was true. The show was saying..yeah, you were. It was there. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, katha said:

Yeah, I could understand Edwina lashing out. She really became the victim of Anthony and Kate getting stuck in their self-denial. IMO Anthony kinda figures out earlier what a disastrous mess it will be, but by that point he can't break the engagement. Edwina would be ruined. Kate doesn't really consider what an emotional betrayal towards Edwina their decisions are tbh. And they also deny her agency by not coming clean about their emotional entanglement. She's in no position to make an informed choice of her own and is treated like a child, mostly by Kate. 

He actually could have or he could have insisted to Kate that Edwina break the engagement - but this is another point where their feelings got in the way. 

Anthony was ready to break the engagement until he met Kate on one of her morning rides. He decided not to because he wanted to make Kate happy, not Edwina. And that should have been the biggest clue to him that breaking the engagement was the right way to go. Because his first imperative should have been to make Edwina happy, not Kate.

Anyway, I think Edwina's anger wasn't fun to watch but was understandable. Anthony wasn't exactly being subtle about his regard for Kate at the wedding. One could argue that he was making it so obvious as a last-ditch effort to get out of it. But of course, that was going to hurt the woman who was actually supposed to be getting married. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, bubble sparkly said:

If Kate had actually told Edwina the full details of what she overheard then Edwina might have agreed that he was awful and steered clear.

I think she did share what she overheard but what she overheard wasn't too awful for that time.  That often was what marriage was about.  It was not good enough for Kate but eventually, Edwina found herself believing in Anthony's earnestness and it was good enough for her.  

It might have continued to be enough for her if her groom weren't clearly in love with her sister. 

• Love 13
On 3/27/2022 at 12:32 PM, arusha said:

The actress is the daughter of actor Jim Carter - the butler Mr Carson on Downton Abbey. It appears she inherited her Dad's looks.

She's much more commentary conventionally attractive in real life. But while I was awed at her dad being Carson, my mind was really blown when I find out her mom is Dolores Umbridge. 

I had no idea Jim Carter was married to Imelda Staunton. 

• Love 1

I think I hate them all at this point. Even Daphne- trying to get Anthony to call off the wedding while at the wedding?

This is not a 2022 wedding or even a 1960 wedding. It’s an early 18th century wedding in society in front of the Queen who hosted it. No matter what Daphne thinks Anthony feels, she’s not going to urge him to call it off then. No matter what Edwina suspects, she’s not going to run away like that. 

1 hour ago, Kirsty said:

Absolutely. Kate wouldn't have bared her leg up to the thigh during a shooting party either! But it's not trying to be a realistic drama. It's a Regency romance show in the tradition of the many Regency romance novels that play with romance tropes in the Regency sandbox while including modern elements where it makes for a more enjoyable fantasy. On the show, that applies to everything from the twenty-first century orthodontic care to the absence of racism.

I think there are places where things are unrealistic but it works but then other places where it is so unrealistic that it changes the whole premise of the show, if that makes sense. To me (and speaking only for myself), this falls into the second category.

6 minutes ago, deaja said:

I think there are places where things are unrealistic but it works but then other places where it is so unrealistic that it changes the whole premise of the show, if that makes sense. To me (and speaking only for myself), this falls into the second category.

Yeah, that's totally fair. You can only suspend disbelief so far. I think of 'runaway bride' as a nineties rom-com trope, and it's the opposite of subtle or tasteful. They definitely went big with that development. I think it would have bothered me more had it been the heroine who ran away in her wedding dress, instead of the hero getting jilted by a third party runaway bride.

• Love 1

Great recap of the episode, @Kirsty!

Especially, well, most of it! LOL:

3 hours ago, Kirsty said:

Anthony jilted at the altar and literal fireworks! I love it. It's always a bad look when the groom wants to bed the maid of honour, and I was dying of mortification when he longingly watched Kate walk up the aisle. 🙈

Kate and Anthony, martyrs both, were prepared to go through with the wedding, sacrificing their own happiness for family duty. So it had to be Edwina to end the fiasco and release them from the misery of what they believe to be their obligations. They should get down on their knees and thank her.

And I'm so glad the show allowed Edwina to figure out what was going on for herself, instead of her reading it in Lady Whistledown or something.  No one had to tell her, she didn't walk in on them making out, and no one else intervened to stop her wedding. She stopped it herself. In much the same way that Mary was basically a background character until the previous episode, this was Edwina's episode in which to step up, take control, and show what she's made of.

The episode moved along at a good clip right up until Edwina had to make her choice. And then it practically ground to a halt while she took the time to choose. But if anyone was entitled to press pause it was Edwina, after five episodes of being played for a fool.

I loved all the Bridgerton family scenes in this one, but the Anthony/Daphne scene was particularly strong. Do you notice how often they film someone's reflection in a mirror? It was especially noticeable in this episode and I'm interpreting it as a visual way of telling us that Anthony and Kate are mirror images of each other. The eldest child who in the wake of their father's death takes on the family's responsibilities at the expense of their own happiness. The irony is that all the reasons Anthony gave Edwina for wanting to marry her in this episode actually apply to Kate, as she is just like him. "In a certain light, I *am* you. We do not have the luxury of choice. We cannot escape our roles." etc.

What with the queen insisting on a wedding going ahead, and Lady Danbury desperate for a way to recover the situation,  I was half expecting them to replace one Sharma sister with the other and carry on with the ceremony!

Those bangles must be the Bangles of Kate's Heart's Desire. Edwina had never seen them before because Kate had never allowed Edwina to see Kate's own hopes and dreams of love and marriage. Kate only produced them in this episode to give to her sister, as she believes it her responsibility to give her sister everything she wants for herself. But Edwina later returned the bangles to their rightful owner,  symbolically rejecting Kate's hopes and dreams in favour of her own. At the altar, Anthony and Kate are both distracted by their hearts desire, until Kate drops a bangle/loses her heart, and Anthony picks it up, giving the game away to Edwina. Before Kate cries in the closet, she rips off the bangles, because her own true desires have ruined all her plans for Edwina. But once she has recovered herself, she puts them back on, and that's what Anthony reaches for when he meets her. Aww. And I was touched when Kate couldn't deny that she loves Anthony, even to Edwina.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Kirsty said:

What with the queen insisting on a wedding going ahead, and Lady Danbury desperate for a way to recover the situation,  I was half expecting them to replace one Sharma sister with the other and carry on with the ceremony!

I was, for a moment, questioning if we would just do a sister swap (complete with dresses), and wondering how that would work since Kate is a good six inches taller than Edwina 😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 3/28/2022 at 4:32 PM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

He actually could have or he could have insisted to Kate that Edwina break the engagement - but this is another point where their feelings got in the way. 

Anthony was ready to break the engagement until he met Kate on one of her morning rides. He decided not to because he wanted to make Kate happy, not Edwina. And that should have been the biggest clue to him that breaking the engagement was the right way to go. Because his first imperative should have been to make Edwina happy, not Kate.

If a man broke the engagement, the woman her reputation. Instead,  the woman could break the engagement. Thus, the best option world have that that Edwina would have broken the engagement after she was told by Anthony the truth on rather the part of it that he didn't love her. 

Of course, it would have been best that Anthony wouldn't have proposed to Edwin. And that his duty would have been to something real,  not to his imaginary concept. 

• Love 2

I just don’t care about these people.  The writing is bad and the sisters acting is horrible.  This season is boring and not believable.  I Don’t believe in the motivation of Kate to take care of her sister or want to be a governess.  Anthony doesn’t have chemistry with either sister.  I don’t feel it.  The sisters are gorgeous.  Love the clothes and setting.

Edited by Kira53
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Kira53 said:

I just don’t care about these people.  The writing is bad and the sisters acting is horrible.  This season is boring and not believable.  I Don’t believe in the motivation of Kate to take care of her sister or want to be a governess.  Anthony doesn’t have chemistry with either sister.  I don’t feel it.  The sisters are gorgeous.  Love the clothes and setting.

Yeah, unfortunately I have to agree. Maybe it's just because they dragged everything out so much, but by the end of the episode I just felt "meh". No excitement about Kate and Anthony finally kissing or anything. I do like Anthony as a character, but this season has done nothing for me. I actually felt really hopeful after the premiere that this season would be better than last. Now, I just can't see any way that I will be happy about Anthony and Kate ending up together (if they do, in fact, end up together).

And if I hear Pen say the words "Lady Whistledown" one more time, I might lose it...

• Sad 1
  • Love 5

I can understand why Edwina is so upset, some of this resentment of her sister controlling her has clearly been bubbling under the surface for awhile, and she must feel like an idiot for not noticing the obvious heart eyes Kate and Anthony have been throwing each other since day one, but she went way too far, especially with that half sister comment. Kate might have not handled everything well, but she has to know how much her sister loves her, everything she has done really has been for her. I hope that, after the dust has settled and Edwina has apologized, they can find some middle ground, where Edwina can make her own choices and Kate can start dealing with her own life and not her sisters, and starts seeing her as more of an equal.

Edwina is lucky that the king showed up and she handled him so well, of the queen would have been way more pissed about her pulling a runaway bride. 

Eloise practically swooned when Theo the cute printer gave her that pile of books, that's the making of a real keeper. Too bad it looks like its already leading towards trouble. This relationship, whatever she says it is, really is doing her good. "Hey Penelope, did you know that poor people exist? And they have things going on too?!"

Lots of nice Bridgerton family scenes, even the kids got a few lines, but my favorite was between Daphne and Anthony, I have really liked her this season in wise sister mode. Anthony and Kate just have so much in common, both of them have spent so much time trying to do everything they can for their younger siblings and feel the need to sacrifice their own happiness for them, but their siblings just find it sad how little regard they have for themselves and find their overbearingness to be exhausting, even if they know its coming from a good place.

At least we got our big damn kiss! Complete with spinning camera and everything!

It did feel a big weird that Simon wasn't around for his brother in law/friends wedding with his wife, but I guess he was busy with Duke stuff and the baby?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11

So maybe the problem is 60% poor plotting and terrible writing and 40% poor acting by the sisters.  I didn't feel any heat anywhere though.  The character Anthony and his actor do benefit from his character being established in the prior season although he appears weaker in these episodes.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Edwina is lucky that the king showed up and she handled him so well, of the queen would have been way more pissed about her pulling a runaway bride. 

Yes, but, from  https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/make+your+own+luck

• make (one's) own luck
    To rely on one's skill, ability, and perseverance to capitalize on opportunity, rather than relying solely on luck itself.

Edwina not only handled the addled king exceedingly well, but she did it at a moment when her own life was going off the rails entirely.
Anthony and Kate got their romantic happily ever after, but I believe that if Anthony had married Edwina, he would have had many opportunities to see how capable she was, and hopefully have come to love her.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, but, from  https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/make+your+own+luck

• make (one's) own luck
    To rely on one's skill, ability, and perseverance to capitalize on opportunity, rather than relying solely on luck itself.

Edwina not only handled the addled king exceedingly well, but she did it at a moment when her own life was going off the rails entirely.
Anthony and Kate got their romantic happily ever after, but I believe that if Anthony had married Edwina, he would have had many opportunities to see how capable she was, and hopefully have come to love her.

I do think Edwina would have been the better viscountess.

• Love 4

Everyone looked great at the wedding. Especially Eloise. 

I felt bad for Edwina. I hated the "half-sister" comment but I get she was mad. Anthony was finally honest with her which is what he should have done from the beginning. He was not being honest with her on why he chose her even before he fell for Kate. But Kate should have also. Kate needs to stop running. She loves Anthony and now everyone knows it. She's half the reason her sister got hurt. I'm glad Edwina will finally start making decision for herself. I hope she finds love and happiness too. I liked how well she handled the King. That was nicely done.

I felt for the Queen in that moment. She married for love and have to watch what happen to her husband. He's still alive but he's not there anymore. That would be so hard. I liked her talk with Edwina.

I loved Danbury and Violet laughing together. Danbury with no idea what to do now. 

Great scene between Daphne and Anthony. It really is interesting how Kate and Anthony both ended up shouldering responsibilities for their family. 

Lady Featherington better watch out. Lord Featherington maybe be playing her too. 

Eloise continues to annoy me. Hey maybe after your brother's bride bolts from the wedding isn't the time for your crap against marriage. Can't anyone tell her to shut up? I like the printer boy but he can do better then Eloise.

• Love 7

Kate Sharma, biggest secret romantic out there, to her sister on the eve of her wedding, 'True love is something else entirely. It is when the rest of the world goes quiet. It is not eyes that meet, but souls that dance. Settle into each other. Make room for each other, until there is nowhere else to hide.'

Cue Anthony imagining himself and Kate at the altar, everything and everyone else disappearing.

I think they may have been too subtle there.

• LOL 10

This episode was a bit of a snooze fest for me as it just seemed to drag, especially after Edwina fled the chapel. 

It seemed far-fetched that after all her seemingly apparent naïveté that Edwina instantly recognized her groom had feelings for her sister and vice versa at a drop of the hat, er, bracelet. 

I didn’t care for the half-sister comment as I have, technically speaking, half-siblings and never think of them that way. But she was smarting from betrayal (and the Kate betrayal hurt far worse than still-a-stranger Anthony) and embarrassment, so I understand it was very heat-of-the-moment. 

Edwina showed herself to be far more grown than she was given credit for by her sister, especially with her handling of poor King George. The vulnerability of Queen “Lottie” was heartbreaking. 

I’m possibly alone at this table, but I found the first kiss between Anthony and Kate a bit of a letdown. The near-kisses were a million times hotter. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 3/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, Door County Cherry said:

I think she did share what she overheard but what she overheard wasn't too awful for that time.  That often was what marriage was about.  It was not good enough for Kate but eventually, Edwina found herself believing in Anthony's earnestness and it was good enough for her. 

On 3/28/2022 at 8:00 AM, bubble sparkly said:

But I would say the problem is that Kate didn't give Edwina a valid reason for why Anthony was such a bad guy, as she once again didn't give her all the relevant information. 

As @Door County Cherry  said, Kate told Edwina point blank that Anthony had made it clear that he was only marrying to fulfill his duties  not out of love. But I think Edwina couldn’t help but to get caught up in the idea of this rich very attractive aristocrat wanting to be with her. She liked his pursuit of her and she loved the idea of living the life a viscountess. Nothing wrong with that, but my point is she ignored what Kate said, and even forgot what was important to her (and Kate) finding a love match. 

On 3/28/2022 at 6:29 AM, bubble sparkly said:

Anthony had been doing everything possible to woo her and had given no indication that he wasn't serious about her.  He asked her to dance, barged into her home, butted into her date at the races and ran off Lumley so he could sit with her, bought a horse for her, crashed the party uninvited to perform for her, did the usual promenade strolling, and invited her early before the country ball as a sign of his affection and with the general assumption that he was going to propose. 

True.  But what was interesting is that the night before the wedding Edwina expressed concern about Anthony’s gaze, or lack there of. He was around all the time because they were betrothed but he was showing no romantic interest in her whatsoever. For her to express concern about this lack of affection meant this was something she desired. I think she even wondered aloud  if he loved her. But again I  think she was so caught up in his pursuit of her that she completely missed the why behind that pursuit especially considering what she’d learned from her sister about his thoughts on marrying. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 4

I’m possibly alone at this table, but I found the first kiss between Anthony and Kate a bit of a letdown. The near-kisses were a million times hotter. 

Slide over and make room for me, because I couldn't agree more - I think this season should have been one shorter; I'm not 100% sure what major plot points happened in episode 5, but I'd vote for condensing 4 & 5 and getting to the wedding sooner.

• Love 7

The irony is, that the love shared by Lady Violet and Edmund, Lady Mary and her clerk, the Queen and King, Daphne and Simon were all atypical in that time. The type of marriage that Anthony was proposing to have with Edwina was much more common. One based on practicalities. Often to do with money, position, or family connections. But, that's why this is a romance. Another thing that wasn't common was a bride wearing white. It was Queen Victoria who popularized the white wedding gown and this is set before her time.

• Love 18
39 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

The irony is, that the love shared by Lady Violet and Edmund, Lady Mary and her clerk, the Queen and King, Daphne and Simon were all atypical in that time. The type of marriage that Anthony was proposing to have with Edwina was much more common. One based on practicalities. Often to do with money, position, or family connections. But, that's why this is a romance. Another thing that wasn't common was a bride wearing white. It was Queen Victoria who popularized the white wedding gown and this is set before her time.

Brides wearing white in pre-1840 period pieces is one of my pet peeves.  I hate that showrunners think modern audiences require it. I get the myriad of reasons why the costuming and hair are never going to be historically accurate, but this change is not necessary.   We can figure out who the bride is without her being in a white dress.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

The irony is, that the love shared by Lady Violet and Edmund, Lady Mary and her clerk, the Queen and King, Daphne and Simon were all atypical in that time.

Very true. I thought, in fact, that if this weren’t a romance, Edwina and Anthony would have been a good match, and Kate and Dorset as well. 

• Love 9