Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Teeny Weenie String Bikini

• Start Topic

It's time for the best friends to face the biggest challenge on their trip--walking on the beach. Tina has an eye-opening appointment with Dr. Procter. Also, a shameful secret from Vannessa's past threatens to jeopardize her diet.

Original air date 2022.03.14

I am absolutely confused. Why does the skin hang on Vanessa so much, her arms and everything. And I understand that self acceptance is probably a good thing. But I will never understand why someone who looks like Vanessa would wear the clothes that she wears.

It is not like Vanessa has lost hundreds of pounds of weight causing the skin to hang. Megan’s skin hangs because of the weight loss. Tina is overweight and her body is firm and she does not look that bad considering how much she probably weighs.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

A few things impact how skin reacts to major weight gain and loss.  When things start to hang more, it is referred to as slippage.  There are genetic components to the laxity of a person's skin.  Also, carrying large amounts of weight for a long time is more likely to result in slippage.  Vanessa's skin does not hold weight well.  So it hangs more than it might on others.  She also appears to have less musculature supporting her weight. This is also impacted by where the weight is stored.  She carries all of her weight in her midsection. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Kid said:

I am absolutely confused. Why does the skin hang on Vanessa so much, her arms and everything. And I understand that self acceptance is probably a good thing. But I will never understand why someone who looks like Vanessa would wear the clothes that she wears.

It is not like Vanessa has lost hundreds of pounds of weight causing the skin to hang. Megan’s skin hangs because of the weight loss. Tina is overweight and her body is firm and she does not look that bad considering how much she probably weighs.

Some people have poor skin elasticity- genetics, lifestyle, nutrition etc. You cannot control where your body stores fat- Vanessa stores it in her midsection, which leans itself to being looser than women who store weight in their hips/buttocks. 

Human bodies are weird- I store extra fat around my knees, but my face is always slim, and my fingers are super slim- I wear a ring size 5.5 and I’m 5’7 obese class 1, that’s the same ring size as my size zero friend who’s 5’1. 

3 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

A few things impact how skin reacts to major weight gain and loss.  When things start to hang more, it is referred to as slippage.  There are genetic components to the laxity of a person's skin.  Also, carrying large amounts of weight for a long time is more likely to result in slippage.  Vanessa's skin does not hold weight well.  So it hangs more than it might on others.  She also appears to have less musculature supporting her weight. This is also impacted by where the weight is stored.  She carries all of her weight in her midsection. 

We typed at the same time!

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Some people have poor skin elasticity- genetics, lifestyle, nutrition etc. You cannot control where your body stores fat- Vanessa stores it in her midsection, which leans itself to being looser than women who store weight in their hips/buttocks. 

Human bodies are weird- I store extra fat around my knees, but my face is always slim, and my fingers are super slim- I wear a ring size 5.5 and I’m 5’7 obese class 1, that’s the same ring size as my size zero friend who’s 5’1. 

We typed at the same time!

Our knees do show our age. My fat shows up in the middle, not in my legs or butt. No butt wings, and my face stays slim.

• Love 2

Vanessa gives new meaning to the word 'apron'.

I didn't know they made string bikinis that large.     Oh  and ...

The part of my body that I'm most proud of are my wrists.     (This comment is referring to where people store fat in different places).   They are very thin and dainty...  though I need to lose 30-40 lbs.  That's something, right?  😌

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

It’s almost as if Vanessa could just have her extra tissue removed from her midsection, she might be left with a normal body underneath it.  It seems unreal how out of proportion it looks.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

Vanessa is one in a million, a total exhibitionist. Or as tkc calls her, "ratings gold!".  Her brain tells her she looks gorgeous wowza.  Makes Whitney Thore in her leggings & sports bra look demure & shy.

Meghan STFU.  But her bathing suit looks nice. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It’s almost as if Vanessa could just have her extra tissue removed from her midsection, she might be left with a normal body underneath it.  It seems unreal how out of proportion it looks.  

Her legs are normal-size, but she basically has a tutu made of fat. She reminds of a woman on Dr. Pimple Popper who had one fat leg and one normal leg. For some reason she didn’t gain weight in one leg. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Vanessa is one in a million, a total exhibitionist. Or as tkc calls her, "ratings gold!".  Her brain tells her she looks gorgeous wowza.  Makes Whitney Thore in her leggings & sports bra look demure & shy.

I do think Vanessa is a total exhibitionist. I think that’s just how she’s wired. A zebra bathing suit would be cute though. Off to Shein I go!

Megan’s bathing suit was nice. 

• Love 4

The Dr. Makes it sound impossible to get thin without the surgery. Is there a way to get past the stall without surgery? I know a few obese folks who,lost the weight on their own and kept it off. I wonder why it is so much harder for some people? Not snarking…legitimately wondering 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I DVRed this episode because I had to watch The Good Doctor.  I'm fixing to watch it now and might be back with comments.  That's if I can get through seeing Vanessa in a bikini.......

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Meagan says she has a lot of fear. I think that includes the fear of ever growing up, standing on her own 2 feet, stopping spending the day putting on makeup & shopping & getting her matching outfits together, looking for a job, maybe making BF get one & extricating herself from her friend's basement. She acts like a child.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Snarkastikate said:

I'm starting to look like a potato on stilts, so I can sympathize. Vannessa is growing on me, not in a Dr. Pimple Popper way.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I'm not sure that the image of Vanessa's string bikini is ever going to leave me unless I drink myself silly tonight.  Her body is the most unique specimen which would be even more eerie once she lost weight.  Life is so unfair that she would probably lose in her legs before the top would even be touched.

Tina could really do well even if she didn't get the surgery.  Maintaining a loss is hard unless one modifies what one did to lose weight to become a life style.  She lost 80 pounds on her own which is a positive.  Plus she seems to have lost weight even with the girls trip.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

I like Vanessa MUCH more than Whitney. Vanessa has a sweetness underneath her bluster that life has tried to kick out of her. And Vanessa actually thinks of other people. That's how I see it, anyway.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I am monumentally depressed.

I was lured into watching this show because I though it was going to be about four women on a mission to tackle health issues and we were along on the ride while they do it. I was all in.  It has evolved into nothing more than the same scrip used for My 600 Pound Life x’s four.

Where’s the spark that was in the first couple of episodes?  What happened to their goal of weight loss?  This is going downhill fast  

Tina is a Debby-Downer.  I like her, I hear her fears and concerns about being around for her children.  I admire her commitment to her family.  However, many studies have been conducted that show a sharp correlation between fears of the parents transferring to the children .  She may not purposefully do this but children are keen on picking up vibes from parents   She is doom and gloom  She needs to get to the root of her fears with a professional therapist and move forward.  And for the record TLC is not a professional therapist  Stuffing an overweight woman into a small carnival box - while the woman has claustrophobic as well as height issues is irresponsible.  Small steps toward that goal should have been taken.  I would not tell someone to jump into the waters of Martha’s Vineyard if they have a fear of drowning  Makes no sense and again it’s irresponsible.

Meghan’s script has changed so much and I’m not liking her very much  The drinking, the whining, the lecturing to Vanessa on her choice at Henry’s!  You know what Meghan, there’s an old saying my Nana used quite often about cleaning out your own backyard, simply meaning that you have enough on your plate (no pun intended) do not deflect from your slip ups by focusing on Vanessa’s behavior.  She knows the Ragin’ Cagin’ Sampler is not on Dr. Proctor’s diet.  Stay in your own lane  

Vanessa.  I don’t know.  I am sorry she has the unfortunate fat distribution situation.  I think she is really blessed with her two sons.  I hope they are not feeling the wrath of cruel classmates.  They do not deserve that but young adults don’t always think before they speak and act.  Sometimes I wish Vanessa would look at her actions though her sons eyes.   Being comfortable in your skin is great.   Reckless behavior that can affect your child/ren is not  Perhaps a therapist she trusts could point that out to her.

Not seeing much of Ashley.  Most of what she said last night was bleeped  Maybe she’s getting a clue that the other three are dragging her down and wants no part of it.  I believe she is the one with awareness 

One more thing…my job requires my clients to make appointments   I am booking clients this week for the second week of June.  How in fresh hell do these women just “go see Dr. Proctor?”  Is he just sitting around waiting for Meghan to harass her friends (and friend’s sons) to just show up for an appointment?

I suspect the doctor is quite busy.  I also call foul on them bringing a friend along to the appointment.  Sure, bring as many friends as you want but there are insurance issues.  Except in TLC land.  There are also rules for patient privacy.  Except in TLC land.  

This is a sad situation.  What could have been an opportunity to address eating, surgical and mental health issues has turned into another TLC circus.  

The really disappointing part of this is that TLC’s coffers get fatter while the four women they are showcasing are again, used.  I’m probably going to stop watching this but check in from time to time to see if anything has changed because I really like the poster on this board.  I hope it does change so that these four ladies can get the assistance they need to get their health on track.  Whether or not they comprehend what Dr. Proctor is saying the truth is they really are in dire need of changing their habits because without necessary changes, their worries about their future will be meaningless.  

Apologies for this long post.  I had a lot to say.  

Edited by PsychoKlown
Grammar
32 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

I am monumentally depressed.

I was lured into watching this show because I though it was going to be about four women on a mission to tackle health issues and we were along on the ride while they do it. I was all in.  It has evolved into nothing more than the same scrip used for My 600 Pound Life x’s four.

Where’s the spark that was in the first couple of episodes?  What happened to their goal of weight loss?  This is going downhill fast  

Tina is a Debby-Downer.  I like her, I hear her fears and concerns about being around for her children.  I admire her commitment to her family.  However, many studies have been conducted that show a sharp correlation between fears of the parents transferring to the children .  She may not purposefully do this but children are keen on picking up vibes from parents   She is doom and gloom  She needs to get to the root of her fears with a professional therapist and move forward.  And for the record TLC is not a professional therapist  Stuffing an overweight woman into a small carnival box - while the woman has claustrophobic as well as height issues is irresponsible.  Small steps toward that goal should have been taken.  I would not tell someone to jump into the waters of Martha’s Vineyard if they have a fear of drowning  Makes no sense and again it’s irresponsible.

Meghan’s script has changed so much and I’m not liking her very much  The drinking, the whining, the lecturing to Vanessa on her choice at Henry’s!  You know what Meghan, there’s an old saying my Nana used quite often about cleaning out your own backyard, simply meaning that you have enough on your plate (no pun intended) do not deflect from your slip ups by focusing on Vanessa’s behavior.  She knows the Ragin’ Cagin’ Sampler is not on Dr. Proctor’s diet.  Stay in your own lane  

Vanessa.  I don’t know.  I am sorry she has the unfortunate fat distribution situation.  I think she is really blessed with her two sons.  I hope they are not feeling the wrath of cruel classmates.  They do not deserve that but young adults don’t always think before they speak and act.  Sometimes I wish Vanessa would look at her actions though her sons eyes.   Being comfortable in your skin is great.   Reckless behavior that can affect your child/ren is not  Perhaps a therapist she trusts could point that out to her.

Not seeing much of Ashley.  Most of what she said last night was bleeped  Maybe she’s getting a clue that the other three are dragging her down and wants no part of it.  I believe she is the one with awareness 

One more thing…my job requires my clients to make appointments   I am booking clients this week for the second week of June.  How in fresh hell do these women just “go see Dr. Proctor?”  Is he just sitting around waiting for Meghan to harass her friends (and friend’s sons) to just show up for an appointment?

I suspect the doctor is quite busy.  I also call foul on them bringing a friend along to the appointment.  Sure, bring as many friends as you want but there are insurance issues.  Except in TLC land.  There are also rules for patient privacy.  Except in TLC land.  

This is a sad situation.  What could have been an opportunity to address eating, surgical and mental health issues has turned into another TLC circus.  

The really disappointing part of this is that TLC’s coffers get fatter while the four women they are showcasing are again, used.  I’m probably going to stop watching this but check in from time to time to see if anything has changed because I really like the poster on this board.  I hope it does change so that these four ladies can get the assistance they need to get their health on track.  Whether or not they comprehend what Dr. Proctor is saying the truth is they really are in dire need of changing their habits because without necessary changes, their worries about their future will be meaningless.  

Apologies for this long post.  I had a lot to say.  

Whoa! Vanessa’s fat distribution is something else and the clothes she wears can be shocking . My jaw drops. 
Agree 1000% - Vanessa has 2 sons , when she’s running around half naked , showing off her deformed fat does she think of them? Kids can be cruel, The internet is forever and she’s allowing TLC to make a spectacle of her . Sad.  Hope she’s at least banking some 💴💴💴💴💴💴💴💴💴

Edited by DNR
Word
  • Love 5

I bet Vannessa isn't saving a penny.    She just thinks the show and the money from it will go on forever.    I was sorry for the families on the beach.   They come to the beach and they have Vannessa wearing non-existent swimwear, so she was naked, with her friends, and the camera crew following her.    There is nothing about body positivity in Vannessa's display at the beach, just hoping to cause trouble, offend people, and get attention.   

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet Vannessa isn't saving a penny.    She just thinks the show and the money from it will go on forever.    I was sorry for the families on the beach.   They come to the beach and they have Vannessa wearing non-existent swimwear, so she was naked, with her friends, and the camera crew following her.    There is nothing about body positivity in Vannessa's display at the beach, just hoping to cause trouble, offend people, and get attention.   

The inflatable apparatus she was sitting on didn’t help either.  

Vanessa (my spell check will not allow the extra “n”) and her appearance have us all walking a thin line. If we comment on her clothes, overhang, or inflated self confidence we are subjected to the call of body shaming. If we call out her language, temper and inappropriate sex talk we could be called out for only pointing these attributes out because she is morbidity obese. 

I suppose this is what you call a no win situation. Except for TlC. Again, their coffers are brimming. 

This show is pathetic. I was hoping for weight loss journey and not a circus show but it is TLC. 

Therapy takes a long time and like weight loss, has limited success. It is easy to get derailed without the support of the therapist.

These women need a sober coach but for weight loss. Someone who follows them around on their journey and talks them through their menu choices and the consequences. Even a morning zoom call to talk about their plans for the day and what can come up that would move them away from their goal like eating out. 

Meghan is a self-righteous princess. She must be a delight to live with. 

Vanessa is not in it to win it. She just likes attention and that makes her perfect for TLC. She has dethroned Tammy Slayton for being the most unmotivated and hedonistic. 

I cannot make it through an episode. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

It has evolved into the same script used for My 600 Pound Life x’s four.

I agree with your sentiment but I find the script formula more along the lines of Little Women LA with the screaming, cussing, drinking followed by the let’s-all-take -a-trip-together which always includes a fight of some sort.  I quit watching that show for the same reason I’ll probably quit watching this one.  

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, JDAlexander said:

I agree with your sentiment but I find the script formula more along the lines of Little Women LA with the screaming, cussing, drinking followed by the let’s-all-take -a-trip-together which always includes a fight of some sort.  I quit watching that show for the same reason I’ll probably quit watching this one.  

I didn’t/don’t watch that but I agree with your description.   My comparison was based on excuses and more excuses, lamenting they can’t lose weight all the while eating restaurant food and doing the barest minimum of exercise. 

On 3/14/2022 at 11:49 AM, Kid said:

I am absolutely confused. Why does the skin hang on Vanessa so much, her arms and everything.

What I don't understand, is why the Vannessa's legs below her knees, look normal size.  
Most 600lbers have big legs all the way down.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Her legs and arms belong on a thinner woman. Maybe too much watching of My 600 lb Life with horrific looking legs. She can move that body though when they do any activities. It's why I like her. 

• Useful 2
19 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought the same thing.  She looks like she needs skin surgery but, most likely, there is too much fat in the hanging skin so they won’t do it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I used to ask that question when I was young.    Why can't they just cut off my fat on my stomach?   😆  If only it were that easy (not that any surgery is easy, speaking from experience).    And now I'm forever looking for that magic pill where I can eat whatever I want,  and not gain weight 🤭... It's my pipe dream 

• LOL 2

I’ve heard Dr. Now talk about the percentage of super morbidly obese people who either cannot lose a substantial amount of weight or cannot keep it off, without bariatric surgery.  Apparently, it’s very low, like Dr.  Proctor said.  I think it’s low, even with the surgery.  

• Love 3
21 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

The Dr. Makes it sound impossible to get thin without the surgery. Is there a way to get past the stall without surgery? I know a few obese folks who,lost the weight on their own and kept it off. I wonder why it is so much harder for some people? Not snarking…legitimately wondering 

Taking my reply to Small Talk. 

No doubt she was bullied for her weight in high school but I would guess (if she's anything like she is today) that being loud, unfiltered and crude played a part too. She stood out.

For a true exhibitionistic like Vanessa that ridiculous bikini she wore to the beach must have seemed like an absolute goldmine of attention.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Kenzie said:

No doubt she was bullied for her weight in high school but I would guess (if she's anything like she is today) that being loud, unfiltered and crude played a part too. She stood out.

For a true exhibitionistic like Vanessa that ridiculous bikini she wore to the beach must have seemed like an absolute goldmine of attention.

I don't think of her as an exhibitionist, just thinking the hell with being judged. Yes, I find her vulgar but I understand her. If she didn't scream at me I'd get along.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was just upset for the people on the beach, who had the TLC filming, with all of the uproar that comes with any TLC show, and the other beach goers had their day ruined. 

How many reality shows do that though. They all do.

• Love 1
On 3/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I hope that either we didn't see all of what the doctor said or that he phrased it badly. Current thinking is that the way to manage the hunger hormones is by eating a healthy diet, low in fat. So weight loss surgery would be the same tool it always has been. The difference now is that we know more about the weight loss/gain cycle. It's hard to lose weight and even harder when you're getting the message that you're lazy or lack willpower. It was great to have him talk about what actually happens, our bodies fighting the weight loss. TLC actually did some good, probably accidentally.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:15 PM, nokat said:

She can move that body though when they do any activities. It's why I like her. 

I like Vanessa, too.That's a good point that she can move what's probably an awkward body. I agree that she's not an exhibitionist or attention seeker. Her behavior is a big "fuck you" to people who would judge and condemn her. I'm here for it. There will be people who are offended by the sight of lots of flesh. Not Vanessa's problem. The solution is to look away. Big people, especially women, shouldn't think they have to hide their bodies to make others comfortable.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:45 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was just upset for the people on the beach, who had the TLC filming, with all of the uproar that comes with any TLC show, and the other beach goers had their day ruined. 

I don't think it was a situation where people were all settled in with their beach chairs and coolers and then TLC showed up. Work on productions like these seems to start early in the morning. I'm guessing the film crew was there long before the beach goers got there. As people arrived they had the choice of being where the action was or not.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

I hope that either we didn't see all of what the doctor said or that he phrased it badly.

I wasn't liking that.

45 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

I'm guessing the film crew was there long before the beach goers got there. As people arrived they had the choice of being where the action was or not.

Yes. I was driving down the PCH and had a helicopter person tell me to go away with my old ugly car. They do prepare the scene.

• Love 1

People magazine says that Vanessa reveals in therapy that

Spoiler

she used to be a sex worker.  I guess it'll be on the next episode.  She says she stopped eight years ago.  Maybe that's why she's so obsessed with talking about sex.

25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What did Meghan do when drinking that upset the others on the beach trip?  Tina was talking to her about it sitting in the bed.  I must have missed that part.

They had to babysit her instead of enjoying their time out.  Also, she grabbed their drinks and drank them.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

What did Meghan do when drinking that upset the others on the beach trip?  Tina was talking to her about it sitting in the bed.  I must have missed that part.

I didn't really understand that either.

I think that Meghan drank an entire bottle of champagne, in one evening, then drank a bunch of other drinks too.   I think the others are wondering if she has a drinking problem.   I hope it's just a storyline, and Meghan isn't drinking massive amounts of booze.    She's still a larger woman, so should have a larger capacity, but one of the others said after your stomach is reduced surgically, you absorb alcohol much quicker.    If Meghan really drank everything the others said she did, then that was way too much.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1