Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E15: Zoe Kravitz / Rosalia

• Start Topic

I like Andrew Dismukes as the exasperated host of "Word Crunch".  Kenan doing the "fast forwarding in real life" thing was so genius.  

Zoe was very, very good I thought.  She's just a good actor.  The humour of this show was very silly and weird.  I didn't mind it, but I was more smiling with a weird look on my face than laughing.

• Love 14

I enjoyed pretty much everything after the Cold Open.

The monologue was really cheesy and silly, but I enjoyed the callbacks to Michelle Pfeiffer and especially Eartha Kitt.

The Amazon Go ad was terrific, and The Please Don't Destroy guys have become one of the best parts of the show.

The sketch with Kenan's goodbye video gave me a flashback to Jan Hooks playing Bette Davis doing her video will.

Update was good except I thought Kyle's character needed some work. the voice was was going out at some places. 

Zoe was fine. She sold the wedding toast. and "momhole" made me laugh.

Oh yeah, Andrew gets his shot at being the go to gameshow host Bill Hader-style.

The Cold Open was very similar to something they did a few weeks ago and just seemed like they had no idea what else to do.

Still good show.

• Love 6

Cold Open: Oh no, a TikTok sketch! But it's Biden trying to deal with it, so that was fun. "Computer very mean to me!" I'm with Kenan's character, I was incredibly lost here. Were these kids based on real people? Especially the guy with the plunger on his nipple? I take it that Pete is still out filming a movie, he would've been in this one.

Monologue: How to get Kate to break: dress her up as Batman Returns-era Catwoman. I wish there was more of Ego as Eartha Kitt's Catwoman, but I'm happy they acknowledged that one nonetheless. It was completely obvious, but OF COURSE they got Aidy to be a crazy cat lady. And I was dying at Chris Redd as Katt Williams. But Zoe herself didn't get to do much, which is indicating that the writers don't have much faith this week.

Wedding Speech: Kyle doing a lot of heavy lifting in this. But Zoe really knocked that whole dark speech out of the park. "She's a Bridezilla, and not because she attacked a bunch of Japanese people."

Amazon Go: I KNEW that with the concept of no checkouts, the non-white people were going to have reservations about it.

Advice: Oh hey, it's this Kate character again! Hey, Aidy got a sketch to flirt with Oscar Isaac last week, so Kate gets a sketch with Zoe Kravitz all to herself.

Princess & The Frog: Tell me you never saw Princess & The Frog without saying you never saw Princess & The Frog. I do love just how weird and horny this was, though. You don't think about how genitalia changes with transmogrification. I guess that's why it was on Disney-. 

Please Don't Destroy: This was great. The cat (and the dog in the drawer!) were adorable.

Video Will: Such a weird sketch that I just loved. Just putting Kenan behind a desk and ramble is a recipe for success. He's an absolute pro for pulling off the fast forwarding effects in real time.

WU: "Disney don't say gay, they say Timon & Pumbaa." Yeah, if you paid attention to Disney's entire history, they're far from a woke company. None of what they've done surprised me. Disappointed me, sure, but not surprised.

Alex was really great as the film critic on LSD. Some writer was happy to get a lot of Jackass references this week. I'd kill to see Dame Judi Dench as Wee Man.

Kyle's character was just strange. It was weird to see him with muscles. Apparently he was a parody of an actual influencer?

Word Crunch:  Aristotle and Sarah in a sketch! The writers were counting on everyone finding the word "momhole" funny, and they were right. I died laughing at every other "hole", especially "MMMhole!" Cornhole should've counted, though. That's actually a word.

Don't Start Beleven: Bowen was definitely doing the heavy lifting here. I doubt this is even a sketch, I'd like to believe Bowen really acts like this off screen. Yeah, Rainbow Road was definitely an analogy he would've came up with.

All in all, a fun show!

Edited by Galileo908
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

Oh yeah, I just couldn't with Rosalia's first song with the two male dancers. That was unintentionally hilarious. They were like Solid Gold dancers.

Edited by vb68
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Update was good except I thought Kyle's character needed some work. the voice was was going out at some places. 

That was the big question mark.  I couldn't understand what he was saying.  I zoned out.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, vb68 said:

12 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Kyle's character was just strange. It was weird to see him with muscles. Apparently he was a parody of an actual influencer?

That was cut from last week's dress rehearsal. Considering they still couldn't get the voice completely right and the bit wasn't that great, it's too bad they didn't come up with something else.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The monologue was really cheesy and silly, but I enjoyed the callbacks to Michelle Pfeiffer and especially Eartha Kitt.

Poor Halle.

I did like Chris Redd singing "Jason DeRulooooooooo" in the cold open but I like everything he does.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Oh no, a TikTok sketch! But it's Biden trying to deal with it, so that was fun. "Computer very mean to me!" I'm with Kenan's character, I was incredibly lost here. Were these kids based on real people? Especially the guy with the plunger on his nipple? I take it that Pete is still out filming a movie, he would've been in this one.. 

https://www.instagram.com/uespiiiiii/?hl=en 

7 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Bilzerian

• Useful 4

Zoe Kravitz was wonderful. She was a lot of fun and really made the night for me. Content-wise (vs performances) there was no sketch that I really loved vs just liked okay this week, but I always like Weekend Update. It's hard to make people laugh about what's going on, but Colin signing Michael up for the army made me laugh.

Other people tend to like Please Don't Destroy more than me. It's not the performances, they just never crack me up and I thought this was the least funny of all the sketches so far. Possibly the funniest for me was the one with the kid. Although I have to say, the dachsund in the drawer -- awwwwwwww. You can never go wrong with a dog in a sketch.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Oh no, a TikTok sketch! But it's Biden trying to deal with it, so that was fun. "Computer very mean to me!" I'm with Kenan's character, I was incredibly lost here. Were these kids based on real people? Especially the guy with the plunger on his nipple? I take it that Pete is still out filming a movie, he would've been in this one.

I think so, yes.  For one, Chloe's character was based on:  Annalynne McCord.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Advice: Oh hey, it's this Kate character again! Hey, Aidy got a sketch to flirt with Oscar Isaac last week, so Kate gets a sketch with Zoe Kravitz all to herself.

I like this one.  But it's very silly, like everything that happened this week somehow.

20 hours ago, vb68 said:

Oh yeah, i just couldn't with Rosalia's first song with the two male dancers. that was unintentionally hilarious. They were like solid Gold dancers.

I Did Not Care For Her First Song ! There Wasn't Much OF A Tune ! How Ever, I Liked Her Second Song Better ! There Was A Tune That Was Kind OF Catchy On The Second Song !

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was the big question mark.  I couldn't understand what he was saying.  I zoned out.

I Could Understand What He Was Saying, BUT, I Could NOT Get Over His Voice ! Was That Done With Electronics ? I Can NOT Believe That Kyle Can Talk That Low ! 

• Love 1

I thought it was a strange choice to do Ohio State's version of Don't Stop Believin', when the university's secret song book for band members notoriously used a version of that song to make fun of Holocaust victims. 

The maid of honor's speech was really the only thing that held my attention, other than WU (but not Kyle). 

eta: also the Amazon store skit! 

And here's the misspelled Don't Stop Belevin on spotify:

image.thumb.png.17a674bf1ca7a522b0fb3b24038a7f37.png

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Loved the Paul Dana cameo….was also hoping for Zoe’s dad or step dad.  

I thought Zoe was really good.  The singer, on the other hand, I fast forwarded through.  

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

was also hoping for Zoe’s dad or step dad.

Or even her mom! They could have done a sketch on them looking just alike and confusing people or something.

• Love 6

Notes to SNL musical guest producer:

1.   Please resign.  Please take the MG segment sound engineer with you.
  2.   If you won't resign, please stop booking "acts" that consist merely of a singer with back-up dancers.
  3.   Stop booking acts where the singer's costume is a comforter. 

Help needed-- I didn't get the Women's Day joke; something about needing to smile.  It got a pretty good laugh but it went over my head.

Great throw-away line:  Zoe and Dismukes in the Amazon Go sketch, when she wants him to get her the kombucha, he finally does and mumbles. "I'm learning." 

Overall good show.  Unfortunately, they need to be flaying Putin but they keep doing Biden.  Can't they get Beck Bennett to come back for that?  I was always a little unclear why he isn't with the show and Mooney still is.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Other people tend to like Please Don't Destroy more than me. It's not the performances, they just never crack me up and I thought this was the least funny of all the sketches so far. Possibly the funniest for me was the one with the kid. Although I have to say, the dachsund in the drawer -- awwwwwwww. You can never go wrong with a dog in a sketch.

Meanwhile, the cat is sitting in her dressing room... "Hey!  I did all the heavy lifting!  I'm the cutest thing in 4 time zones!  But who gets noticed?  The stupid dog!  I'll get my revenge..."

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, JZL said:

Help needed-- I didn't get the Women's Day joke; something about needing to smile.  It got a pretty good laugh but it went over my head.

People (both men and women) tend to tell women to smile more.  "Hey, it's nice out, why don't you smile?"  Or at work, "Smile."  Or anywhere, "Smile, aren't you happy to be alive?"  etc. etc. etc.  These same people would probably not tell a man to do that.  There's a feeling that people want women to perform for them, to exist for them as objects, to always look pleasant and happy and not be simply human with real emotion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 22

And here's the misspelled Don't Stop Belevin on spotify:

Thanks, I wondered why it was such an oddly specific reference.  It was funny even without the context ("Those aren't the words!").

I liked it better than the advice sketch, even though the latter was a nice callback.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

People (both men and women) tend to tell women to smile more.  "Hey, it's nice out, why don't you smile?"  Or at work, "Smile."  Or anywhere, "Smile, aren't you happy to be alive?"  etc. etc. etc.  These same people would probably not tell a man to do that.  There's a feeling that people want women to perform for them, to exist for them as objects, to always look pleasant and happy and not be simply human with real emotion.

Great response Ms Blue Jay! If used as a pick-up line, it's usually annoying. If not, it's just intrusive judgment.  I liked it as a Women's Day joke.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Poor Halle.

I was hoping for Lee Meriwether, but then I thought that would be too obscure for this audience.

13 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I've liked a couple of their videos, but not this one. Best part? Dog in a drawer.

12 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I thought it was a strange choice to do Ohio State's version of Don't Stop Believin', when the university's secret song book for band members notoriously used a version of that song to make fun of Holocaust victims. 

I'm sorry, what?

1 hour ago, JZL said:

2.   If you won't resign, please stop booking "acts" that consist merely of a singer with back-up dancers.

🤣

There were really only a couple of things I thought were good. Kravitz in the wedding reception sketch was funny. Great lines and good performance.

Amazon Go was fantastic. Many good lines and performances. Kenan "leaving a tip" cracked me up.

Che's line "Tuesday was International Women's Day, so hopefully you remembered to smile" was excellent.

Other than that, meh.

I thought the TikTok Cold Open was going to be better than it was. Maybe it would have amused me if I'd heard of any of these people.

The monologue was ok, with Ego as Eartha Kitt and Chris as Katt Williams being the best parts. 

The high school nerds sketch was dumb. I know they've done this before, but I was trying to imagine this with male cast members as the boys, and it would have been so-so. Therefore, the humor was coming from two women playing men. Ha. Ha. Also, I couldn't help but be bothered by Kate talking on the phone right in front of Zoe's face as if Zoe couldn't hear. Also, why did the audience applaud for Kate's line about Zoe being a modern woman? Was that referencing something I'm unaware of?

Dad's home movie was ok. Yes, Kenan did fine miming the fast-forwarding, but I didn't think it was that great, certainly not enuf to earn the roaring applause.

Was the weird (to me) applause because of the younger-leaning audience, because of Rosalia?

Word Crunch could have been better. I'm not often a fan of juvenile, sex-based humor. I think this would have been funnier if the Zoe character were finding non-words that were just silly. As it was, it was lazy humor. And I felt sorry for Aristotle. What a waste.

I FF'd thru Rosalia's performances. I'd never heard of her. I'm not interested.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The high school nerds sketch was dumb. I know they've done this before, but I was trying to imagine this with male cast members as the boys, and it would have been so-so. Therefore, the humor was coming from two women playing men. Ha. Ha. Also, I couldn't help but be bothered by Kate talking on the phone right in front of Zoe's face as if Zoe couldn't hear. Also, why did the audience applaud for Kate's line about Zoe being a modern woman? Was that referencing something I'm unaware of?

I think it was because Zoe's character was so vocal and open about being into both boys and girls.

7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Dad's home movie was ok. Yes, Kenan did fine miming the fast-forwarding, but I didn't think it was that great, certainly not enuf to earn the roaring applause.

For me, I really thought it WAS a tape!  Then when I heard the audience screaming I realized, holy shit, Kenan is just DOING that -- LIVE!  That's what made it so brilliant for me.

They made it look so real with it saying FF in the corner and the wavy lines that are on old VHS tapes.  It looked very authentic.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, JZL said:

Because strangers often tell women to smile. (I think that's it.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Che's line "Tuesday was International Women's Day, so hopefully you remembered to smile" was excellent.

Nice follow up to “Ladies, those cakes aren’t gonna bake themselves” from a few seasons ago. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Also, why did the audience applaud for Kate's line about Zoe being a modern woman? Was that referencing something I'm unaware of?

Zoe was married to a guy briefly but now she's with a girl. 

The high school nerds sketch was dumb. I know they've done this before, but I was trying to imagine this with male cast members as the boys, and it would have been so-so. Therefore, the humor was coming from two women playing men.

I don't take it that way at all. For me the humour comes from the characterization of the kids and their pretentious vocabulary. For me it could be funny with a male cast member. It just happens to be Kate and Aidy.

That said, I don't see any reason to come back to this bit again unless they come up with a new variation on the theme. 

15 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Kyle's character was just strange. It was weird to see him with muscles.

He had a pretape once where he took up bodybuilding and I kept thinking of that. 

14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes , I think he was using some kind of vocal modulator.  

And realizing that made me sad, because Aristotle must have been using one in his WU bit a few episodes ago. 

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Zoe is in a relationship with Channing Tatum.

Sorry. I must not be keeping up. She was with Taylour Paige last year. I guess she moved on.

• Useful 2
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think so, yes.  For one, Chloe's character was based on:  Annalynne McCord.

I normally love Chloe but this wasn’t great, the impression wasn’t good. I feel they were just desperate to shoehorn this in.

Poor Aristotle continues to disappear into the background.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, JZL said:

Great throw-away line:  Zoe and Dismukes in the Amazon Go sketch, when she wants him to get her the kombucha, he finally does and mumbles. "I'm learning." 

Overall good show.  Unfortunately, they need to be flaying Putin but they keep doing Biden.  Can't they get Beck Bennett to come back for that?  I was always a little unclear why he isn't with the show and Mooney still is.

Beck Left Because His Wife Is In California And She Refused To Move To New York !

8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Meanwhile, the cat is sitting in her dressing room... "Hey!  I did all the heavy lifting!  I'm the cutest thing in 4 time zones!  But who gets noticed?  The stupid dog!  I'll get my revenge..."

i Don't Like those Kids Either ! This Time, They Just Kept Doing The Same Thing Over And Over ! Other Times, They Gross Me Out ! I Wish They Would Stop Having Them !

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was hoping for Lee Meriwether, but then I thought that would be too obscure for this audience.

I've liked a couple of their videos, but not this one. Best part? Dog in a drawer.

I'm sorry, what?

🤣

There were really only a couple of things I thought were good. Kravitz in the wedding reception sketch was funny. Great lines and good performance.

Amazon Go was fantastic. Many good lines and performances. Kenan "leaving a tip" cracked me up.

Other than that, meh.

I thought the TikTok Cold Open was going to be better than it was. Maybe it would have amused me if I'd heard of any of these people.

The monologue was ok, with Ego as Eartha Kitt and Chris as Katt Williams being the best parts. 

Was the weird (to me) applause because of the younger-leaning audience, because of Rosalia?

Word Crunch could have been better. I'm not often a fan of juvenile, sex-based humor. I think this would have been funnier if the Zoe character were finding non-words that were just silly. As it was, it was lazy humor. And I felt sorry for Aristotle. What a waste.

I FF'd thru Rosalia's performances. I'd never heard of her. I'm not interested.

Who Is Halle ? I Think The Most Obscure Would Be Julie Newmar ! She Was MY Favorite Cat Woman ! I Laughed The Most AT The Word Game ! I Thought That Was Funny ! 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

There was an actual meeting with Tik Tok "influencers" this week. The issue was that they are a primary source of info for a lot of people, and the WH wanted to make sure they had accurate info about the war in Ukraine, so they set up a meeting to provide information and help them accurately contextualize the situation. I thought it was a good idea, because even though I don't even use TikTok and I am in my 50s, so a bit of a curmudgeon with regard to "official" news sources vs "random people on the internet who may or may not know anything" (ahem, get off my lawn!), if this is where a generation of people is looking, I think it's a good idea to engage with them and provide them with accurate stuff to spread around so they don't just increase guesswork and rumors.

The SNL sketch took the opposite approach, i.e. they had Biden and Psaki asking the kids for advice, instead of providing the kids with suggestions. It is actually funnier if you don't realize the opposite is what happened. I felt like they were mocking something that either most people didn't know happened, or they misunderstood what actually happened... or both.

But if there hadn't actually been a meeting, then I guess it would just look like a silly idea... designed to make it seem like the WH is out of ideas and getting desperate.

I dunno. I felt like it could have been funny but it just wasn't, to me. There are ways to mock TikTok that I'd find amusing. I just can't laugh about the context in which they did it. But that's me.

Edited by possibilities
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, BC4ME said:

Sorry. I must not be keeping up. She was with Taylour Paige last year. I guess she moved on.

I Think She And Channing Made A Movie Together And That Became A Relationship In Real Life ! 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, Jody said:

Who Is Halle ? I Think The Most Obscure Would Be Julie Newmar ! She Was MY Favorite Cat Woman ! I Laughed The Most AT The Word Game ! I Thought That Was Funny ! 

Halle Berry starred in the 2004 movie "Catwoman" which was notoriously horribly received.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I don't take it that way at all. For me the humour comes from the characterization of the kids and their pretentious vocabulary. For me it could be funny with a male cast member. It just happens to be Kate and Aidy.

YMMV, but I thought having Kate and Aidy portray boys was a distraction, unless that was supposed to be the joke, in which case, it didn't work for me. That's why I imagined the roles being played by male cast members -- maybe Kyle and Andrew -- and I found that there wasn't much THERE there. But as usual, it depends on how well the cast members perform. Anyway, I just don't see the point of having a woman portray a man or vice versa. I think it distracts from any real humor.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Jody said:
7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

i Don't Like those Kids Either ! This Time, They Just Kept Doing The Same Thing Over And Over ! Other Times, They Gross Me Out ! I Wish They Would Stop Having Them ! 

To be clear, my comment was just about the recognition given to the dog vs the cat. I wasn’t expressing an opinion one way or the other about the guys. I actually like them fine. Wouldn’t mourn if they were gone, but they definitely didn’t “Gross Me Out”.

• Love 2

Anyway, I just don't see the point of having a woman portray a man or vice versa. I think it distracts from any real humor.

Except that I love Aidy as Ted Cruz. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

YMMV, but I thought having Kate and Aidy portray boys was a distraction, unless that was supposed to be the joke, in which case, it didn't work for me. That's why I imagined the roles being played by male cast members -- maybe Kyle and Andrew -- and I found that there wasn't much THERE there. But as usual, it depends on how well the cast members perform. Anyway, I just don't see the point of having a woman portray a man or vice versa. I think it distracts from any real humor.

It didn't matter whether Kate and Aidy played them or two male cast members (like Andrew and Kyle) played them. The joke for me was that it seemed very Big Bang Theory-esque in terms of the dialogue of these supposedly pubescent individuals. Imagine Aidy's character as Howard Wolowitz and Kate's character as either Leonard or Raj. I wouldn't be surprised if that was where they drew their inspiration.

• Love 2

Three great episodes in a row! Is it those 3 new young writer guys? Something is clicking. 

Zoe Kravitz was incredible. To see her be incredible in something else, catch the new Soderbergh movie, KIMI, on HBO Max.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Useful 1