Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: A Suitcase Full of Cash and a Yellow Clown Car

DanaK
  • Start Topic

Meemaw's gambling room is a success, and Sheldon dips his toe in the stock market. Also, Missy starts a business, on the CBS Original series YOUNG SHELDON, Thursday, March 10 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

Yay, Amy voiceover!!!!

So Sheldon might have contributed to Radio Shack’s downfall?

Missy’s cotton candy combos looked gross. Butterscotch flavored? Yuck. LOL at her commentary about the Shamrock Shake: “Every year it tastes like toothpaste. Every year I buy it anyway.”

So this is really it for Connie and Dale? Felt like it went on longer than it should have, but at least it ended more amicably this time around. Ah well. Let’s get her and Dr. Sturgis back together!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

"Well, we still have soccer." I laughed at that because my college doesn't have a football team; our big sport is soccer.

Radio Shack, the thriving tech company. 😄

Missy: Ronald McDonald isn't real. Georgie: 😮

"Mom, savor this moment...can you take me to church?"

Well that was a rather blunt breakup...

5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

LOL at her commentary about the Shamrock Shake: “Every year it tastes like toothpaste. Every year I buy it anyway.”

I feel that way about a lot of things I used to love as a kid... (and fast food in general but I haven't had that in about three years)  never had a Shamrock Shake, though.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Missy: Ronald McDonald isn't real. Georgie: 😮

Maybe I'm off the mark here, but I took that look from Georgie to mean:  "That wasn't the point, he's real enough to be the face of a multi-million dollar company", or something along those lines.  Since Georgie has the business sense and all.

• Love 6

Man, it isn't enough that I had to FF through Old Sheldon for the last few years of TBBT, now I have to do it for an even longer time on YS? 

I loved the Missy-Georgie business interactions, also loved that she had the idea of adding different kinds of candy to the machine. It's too bad that she doesn't have many outside-the-home scenes anymore. 

The Dale-Connie relationship was okay, but he was right -- not only does Connie not want to slow down, which is fine, but she bought a car that he can't fit into. A metaphor for her life I guess. 

Yay for Mary standing up to Sheldon a bit -- she still should have made him set the table though. 

Edited by Mediocre Gatsby
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

The Dale-Connie relationship was okay, but he was right -- not only does Connie not want to slow down, which is fine, but she bought a car that he can't fit into. 

Hmm...I wonder who might be able to fit in there...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 19
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

The Dale-Connie relationship was okay, but he was right -- not only does Connie not want to slow down, which is fine, but she bought a car that he can't fit into. A metaphor for her life I guess. 

16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Hmm...I wonder who might be able to fit in there...

Oooo! Oooo! (waving my hand in the air obnoxiously like I did when I was Sheldon's age) I got it! Dr. Sturgis!

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Missy’s cotton candy combos looked gross. Butterscotch flavored? Yuck. LOL at her commentary about the Shamrock Shake: “Every year it tastes like toothpaste. Every year I buy it anyway.”

I loved the Shamrock Shake for years and brought multiple cups during each season. But it DID taste like toothpaste the last time I got one over 15 years ago. I think they changed the flavor for the worse/stronger because everyone I know said the same thing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Georgie's surprised Pikachu face at Ronald McDonald not being real just about killed me. Nice to get some Georgie and Missy scenes, its too bad Missy's business was shut down pretty quickly, she took to it nicely. 

Hi Amy! 

I guess Dale couldn't miss the obvious metaphor about Connie buying a car that doesn't fit him instead of going on a trip together. The break up was certainly blunt, but at least it seems to be on better terms than the last time. Now if only Connie had a different love interest that was a bit smaller and could fit into a more compact car...

Poor George, its so hard to watch him trying so hard and getting nowhere. Its really a depressing state of affairs with him and we know that its just going to get worse. 

• Love 10

Has George actually been fired, or is he assuming he will be? Also, as a coach, he probably also taught phys ed or driver's ed (at least the coaches at my high school in the Deep South did). So would he lose his whole job? Presumably, that's how the family got health insurance and a few other benefits.

He shoulda taken the job in Oklahoma...

• Love 5

Damn! The show made me feel bad for Dale. 

And the line of the week goes to Missy. No, not for Ronald McDonald, for her reply to Connie, "you're beautiful and I love you"😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

Man, it isn't enough that I had to FF through Old Sheldon for the last few years of TBBT, now I have to do it for an even longer time on YS?

It really felt gratuitous, didn't it? Way too long (it felt like a good two minutes from what, the 18 minutes of the actual running time?), way too whimsical with those old-timey title cards. And I don't think they used the word "jealous" correctly. Yes, it can mean "protective of your domain," but when you deliver it as a one-word question with a triumphant smirk the way they did, it pretty much always means "I am rubbing it in that I have something or can do something you don't."  Which is not at all what we had here.

Kid Sheldon's sense of entitlement was super annoying too, from refusing to help Mary because she was not helping him (while she was making sure he has something to eat) to his insistence that everybody at Radio Shack drop everything and listen to the great ideas of the holder of three shares.  "I am busy too, but I made time to call you."  It always pisses me off when people use reasoning like that.  You chose to do something, that really does not impose any obligation to do the same on anybody else.

I kinda liked the breakup though, there was some strange dignity in it.  "I love you, you know that. But we are done."  And that's it.  No drama, just final.

• Applause 1
  • Love 10
51 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Has George actually been fired, or is he assuming he will be?

The writing appears to be on the wall for him to be fired.  He's working nights & weekends at Dale's store to see how it goes.

9 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

On another note, that scene at the sporting goods store where George was waiting on the dad that wants him fired was all kinds of painful.  George being subservient and the other guy gloating.... 

It's sad because there are people out there who really don't give a damn about another person's livelihood, and for this guy, it's just about his kid's team winning football games.  Yeah, it's nice to win, but you don't form a mob to get a coach fired unless it's some egregious sin they've committed.  

• Love 8
56 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Also, as a coach, he probably also taught phys ed or driver's ed (at least the coaches at my high school in the Deep South did). So would he lose his whole job? Presumably, that's how the family got health insurance and a few other benefits.

In most high schools, and indeed in my experience, this is the case.  The football coach is also a PE teacher, or in my case, a math teacher.  The football coach is also sometimes the basketball coach in that season. 

However.......this is Texas, where high school football is practically a religion.  I don't live in Texas, but I've heard that high school football programs, even in small towns, are almost like college football programs, and the only thing the head coach does is.....football.  On the show, George even has an assistant coach, who may even not have a side gig at the school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

My grandma had a gorgeously luminescent bowl of shiny ribbon candy on her coffee table that used to fascinate me as a child.  My mom never let me have any, but grandma told me I could have as much as I wanted.  And I wanted....  The problem was, it had all fused together in one lump so it was impossible to get just one piece out.  Sometimes I was successful at chipping off a ribbon end if I had the right grip, leverage, and my mom wasn't looking.

Oh, that bowl of candy was sooooo pretty when the sun hit it!

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

.  Yeah, it's nice to win, but you don't form a mob to get a coach fired unless it's some egregious sin they've committed.  

It's Texas & high school football is a religion so the constant losing is a huge sin.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I loved the Missy-Georgie business interactions, also loved that she had the idea of adding different kinds of candy to the machine. It's too bad that she doesn't have many outside-the-home scenes anymore. 

For me, those scenes were the best part of the episode. I love seeing Missy and Georgie interact. It was wonderul that Georgie didn't ask for a cut of the profits because he came up with the idea of charging for the cotton candy. He was just being an awesome older brother. We discover that Missy has a hiddent talent for bussiness. 

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Oooo! Oooo! (waving my hand in the air obnoxiously like I did when I was Sheldon's age) I got it! Dr. Sturgis!

After reading "Oooo! Oooo!" I mentally filled in "Mr. Kotter, Mr. Kotter." (I spent a significant part of my childhood watching syndicated reruns/Nick at Nite). 

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

We discover that Missy has a hidden talent for business. 

I wonder what Missy does in the future. We know Georgie is successful in the tire business. Other than having kids and an apparently not-too-happy marriage (IIRC), I don't think the mother ship gave us any indication of what (if anything) she does for a living. Seems like she might do well in sales herself, with a little guidance.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

My grandma had a gorgeously luminescent bowl of shiny ribbon candy on her coffee table that used to fascinate me as a child.  My mom never let me have any, but grandma told me I could have as much as I wanted.  And I wanted....  The problem was, it had all fused together in one lump so it was impossible to get just one piece out.  Sometimes I was successful at chipping off a ribbon end if I had the right grip, leverage, and my mom wasn't looking.

Oh, this brings back good memories for me too!  My grandmother always had a bowl of ribbon candy sitting out at Christmas, and it was usually stuck together too!!  I thought she was fancy because she had such pretty looking candy sitting out on her marble top end tables!

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I wonder what Missy does in the future. We know Georgie is successful in the tire business. Other than having kids and an apparently not-too-happy marriage (IIRC), I don't think the mother ship gave us any indication of what (if anything) she does for a living. Seems like she might do well in sales herself, with a little guidance.

I was disappointed that we didn't learn more about Missy too.  The only impression I had of her is that she ends up unhappy, and that makes me sad!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Oh, this brings back good memories for me too!  My grandmother always had a bowl of ribbon candy sitting out at Christmas, and it was usually stuck together too!!  I thought she was fancy because she had such pretty looking candy sitting out on her marble top end tables!

We always used to get ribbon candy at Christmas, but my mom would leave it in the box on the coffee table, with the little tray that kept it from sticking together.

My brother and I each have a set of four ribbon candy Christmas tree ornaments made from plastic canvas and yarn. (I don't remember if my mom or my grandmother made them.) Similar to these:

image.png.6913ec50ba60dc47241ac3f1921fa6b2.png

• Love 16
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It's sad because there are people out there who really don't give a damn about another person's livelihood, and for this guy, it's just about his kid's team winning football games.  Yeah, it's nice to win, but you don't form a mob to get a coach fired unless it's some egregious sin they've committed.  

Maybe you're not familiar with Texas and football (or Indiana and basketball). 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Did she buy the car in cash???

I'm thinking yes.  Car dealers aren't generally too picky about how you pay as long as you pay.

4 hours ago, kwnyc said:

He would've if Mary had let him.  But no, she didn't want to leave Medford.

4 hours ago, shura said:

Kid Sheldon's sense of entitlement was super annoying too, from refusing to help Mary because she was not helping him (while she was making sure he has something to eat) to his insistence that everybody at Radio Shack drop everything and listen to the great ideas of the holder of three shares.  "I am busy too, but I made time to call you."  It always pisses me off when people use reasoning like that.  You chose to do something, that really does not impose any obligation to do the same on anybody else.

That sense of entitlement remains a constant between Young Sheldon and BBT.  He never grows out of it.

3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

On the show, George even has an assistant coach, who may even not have a side gig at the school.

I think we've seen the assistant coaching teaching PE in earlier seasons when Sheldon was still in high school.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

My great grandmother had that same bowl.  Maybe they just passed it around since it was so hard to actually liberate any?

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Maybe but I think the show is telling us George can't win - at football or in life so going to Oklahoma wouldn't have changed anything.

33 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I was disappointed that we didn't learn more about Missy too.  The only impression I had of her is that she ends up unhappy, and that makes me sad!

All we know about Missie in terms of future job prospects is that when we first meet her on BBT she is a hostess at a Fuddruckers.  But in a voice over from an episode a little while ago older Sheldon does tell us she has a happy second marriage and lots of good friends.  So maybe they won't give her an awesome job but they do seem to be telling us she has a good life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I never thought Connie and Dale were a good match, so I'm glad they broke up.

What I would love to see now is not another boyfriend for Connie - I would love for Reba to come back and be her best pal, and they could go on adventures together.  I think that would be a hoot!

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

What I would love to see now is not another boyfriend for Connie - I would love for Reba to come back and be her best pal, and they could go on adventures together.  I think that would be a hoot!

I would watch that show religiously. And Missy could join in on school breaks. 

• Love 8

I felt so bad for George, but it seems like that's the nature of coaching. Win or you're out. The one guy didn't have to be such a dick at the sporting goods store, though.

Missy and Georgie were awesome. I really wish they'd give these two more airtime. 

At first I thought Dale breaking up with MeeMaw was harsh, but the more I think of it, the more I like it. He realized they were on two different pages and saw no point in continuing to waste each other's time. I wonder if this will open the door back up for Dr. Sturgis?

If George gets fired, not taking that Oklahoma job will be a major sore spot. Another nail in the coffin for him and Mary. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

We just know she got a lot taller  :)

• LOL 4
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My brother and I each have a set of four ribbon candy Christmas tree ornaments made from plastic canvas and yarn. (I don't remember if my mom or my grandmother made them.)

I love that!  What a great idea, and no sugary mess! 

2 hours ago, SusannahM said:

But in a voice over from an episode a little while ago older Sheldon does tell us she has a happy second marriage and lots of good friends.

I forgot about that.  Thanks!  I feel better now.   :) 

• Love 4

I'm surprised that Sheldon thought one could buy stock in "Radio Shack." At the time this episode took place, and until 2000, the corporation that owned Radio Shack was called Tandy Corporation. So Sheldon would have had to buy shares in Tandy, not Radio Shack. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 7

The opening was too cutesy and too long, and four subplots was too many - Missy's could have been funny but it didn't really go anywhere. I like Craig Nelson - Dale not so much. Hopefully they all get to have some fun with the 100th episode. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

On another note, that scene at the sporting goods store where George was waiting on the dad that wants him fired was all kinds of painful.  George being subservient and the other guy gloating....  Eeesh.

I just saw this episode and was bracing myself for this scene but to be honest I didn't see it this way.  I didn't find George to be subservient, if anything he was pretty upfront with the guy about how he felt about him and what he was doing.   

6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

If George gets fired, not taking that Oklahoma job will be a major sore spot. Another nail in the coffin for him and Mary. 

The scene with George and Mary talking about potentially moving if he lost his job would have been the chance to bring up that Oklahoma job but they didn't.  I get the feeling we spend way more time thinking about past events in the Cooper household than the writers do!

I got the impression if George wants it he has the chance to pretty much take over running the store for Dale so the show is giving us the chance to have him land on his feet, so to speak, which would be a good thing. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Was that car a Miata, or a Geo?  

That was definitely a Miata.

6 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I never thought Connie and Dale were a good match, so I'm glad they broke up.

Oh that would be cool.  Anything but her getting back with Dr. Sturgis.  I didn't like her with Dale either.  She almost related to Sturgis like his parent.  With Dale it was obvious she wasn't that into him, and I wouldn't blame her.  Just yuck.  Both relationships felt a little force-fit to me.  No romance at all.  She's a grandmother but she's not dead!

55 minutes ago, J-Man said:

I'm surprised that Sheldon thought one could buy stock in "Radio Shack." At the time this episode took place, and until 2000, the corporation that owned Radio Shack was called Tandy Corporation. So Sheldon would have had to buy shares in Tandy, not Radio Shack. 

That's right, and Tandy Corporation started out as a leather company!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I remember ribbon candy!!!

That is hilarious.

I can absolutely picture how pretty it was.

But do you think the layer of dust added to the beauty and mystique? Or did it also have a lid?

Too bad you didn’t pack a small hammer every time you visited her.

My mother is always trying to force candy onto my son! Even though she told ME when I was twelve, “The reason your arms are so hairy is because you consume too much sugar.”

Am I going to wield sugar when my son becomes a dad?

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

As a Grandma myself, I can definitely tell you, @hoodooznoodooz, that answer is yes.  😂😆

However, candy at this Grandma's house is individually wrapped, because this Grandma's house is dusty.  My Grandma, however, did not allow dust in her house.  I got the feeling that the candy bowl was covered and put away between guests.

Much like MeeMaw, I'm far more likely to have cookies on hand.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

However, candy at this Grandma's house is individually wrapped, because this Grandma's house is dusty.  My Grandma, however, did not allow dust in her house.  I got the feeling that the candy bowl was covered and put away between guests.

My grandma was partial to those jelly mint leaves. They were kept in a covered dish.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

As a Grandma myself, I can definitely tell you, @hoodooznoodooz, that answer is yes.  😂😆

Much like MeeMaw, I'm far more likely to have cookies on hand.  

This makes me so happy! I love thinking about children excited to visit their grandparents.

Your grandmother was wonderful.

• Love 1
On 3/11/2022 at 4:30 PM, treeofdreams said:

I would love for Reba to come back and be her best pal, and they could go on adventures together.  I think that would be a hoot!

On 3/11/2022 at 4:39 PM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I would watch that show religiously. And Missy could join in on school breaks. 

Reba could be part of the Connie spin-off Geezer Bus (it's a working title). Missy could be part of the series too. She has excellent bussiness sense. She could come up with sales/promotions. 

Dale was right. They are at different places in their journeys. He wants to settle down happily in retirement, go see things, hit the beach and and day drink. That's a decent ambition for a guy who's worked his whole life and hit retirement age.

Connie is nowhere near ready for that. She's made it clear from the start that she doesn't want to marry again (no matter who she marries, she'll be expected to assume the household-runner/caretaker role), and now that she's got her casino/laundry, and can do whatever she wants, she wants solo adventures. Nothing wrong with that, either. I'm glad the show split them up.

Georgie's reaction to finding out Ronald McDonald isn't real is one of the show's great moments.

And Sheldon (the character, not the actor) is getting more annoying the older he gets. You can see Mary beginning to stand up for herself and telling him "no." (As older Mary did on the other show...)

• Love 8
2 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Dale was right. They are at different places in their journeys. He wants to settle down happily in retirement, go see things, hit the beach and and day drink. That's a decent ambition for a guy who's worked his whole life and hit retirement age. Connie is nowhere near ready for that.

I like that the show didn't make the break-up someone's fault or a fight after something stupid. It wasn't really about the car. Dale realized they wanted different things and it wasn't going to work. It seemed like a pretty mature, adult break-up. 

• Love 10

Can anyone tell me what year they are currently in?

In 1991, my Nana bought a white Mazda Miata with cash (from her recently deceased brother's estate), so this really hit home for me.  Especially since she only drove it for 18 months before she died and my mom got it.  And she still has it to this day and drives it around town at 80 years old.

The cotton candy storyline was great.  I love that they show what a natural sales person Georgie is and he is happy to share his knowledge.

• Love 9
On 3/10/2022 at 11:43 PM, Mediocre Gatsby said:

- not only does Connie not want to slow down, which is fine, but she bought a car that he can't fit into.

I thought they were exaggerating for dramatic affect, but it turns out Craig T Nelson is 6’4, and the ‘92 Miatas were short on passenger legroom.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:25 AM, tennisgurl said:

Hi Amy! 

Is this the first time we’ve seen a wedding picture?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2