Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Surprise

• Start Topic

Cam plans an elaborate surprise party for Maggie’s 30th birthday, but she isn’t the only one to make a shocking discovery. Meanwhile, Tyrell returns home and quickly realizes that things are not the same as when he left.

Original airdate 3/2/22

(edited)

I don't think there has ever been a don't-spoil-the-surprise party plot that I liked. This was no exception. (I'm glad Gary told her before they got up there, though. As much as I hate the "hit the button to stop the elevator" thing.)

Frockets?

"Our safe word is Eddie." 😄

Somehow I had a feeling Anna would be okay with what Gary did to Peter. But I still wouldn't want to get involved with his friend group in any way if I were her.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 9

I don't know what to think about this episode.

The good:

I do like how this show is handling Rome's depression. 

Still like this new, mature Eddie. Although, I'm not sure how to feel about Anna's little blow up with him at the party. I'm torn. On one hand, I get it. Eddie knew about Gary attacking her husband and didn't say anything, so he technically lied to her. On the other hand, they've had, what? Two dates? At what point in the dates should Eddie have said, "By the way, I'm best friends with the guy who attacked your husband. You can keep that on the DL, right?"

I mean, maybe not date her at all, but I understand Eddie's reasoning, and he articulated it wonderfully to Gary.

I also like the Sophie is not over Gary's actions yet.

The bad:

You know, this Gary/Maggie endgame is getting as stupid as the Ted/Robin endgame in How I Met Your Mother. Because I really am counting the days until Cam goes bye-bye. And it's sad, because he's really a good guy.

Also, Maggie's only 30? I know she acts far younger than that, but there's no way a psychiatrist with her background is only 30. She's a PhD. She doesn't strike me as being a child prodigy or anything. So, most likely she would have graduated with her bachelors when she was 22, 23 years old. She most likely would have gotten a masters, which is 2 years, which puts her around 24 or 25. PhD, I think, is another two years (I don't have one, but I have a masters, and I was around 25 when I got it.) Then there's clinical work, which she has talked about. Oh, and there's breast cancer. 

She was fully established when she was introduced, and, yeah, in this wonky AMLT timeline, it's only about two years, so she would have been around 28 years old. I don't buy it.

You know, the more you think about AMLT timeline, the more things absolutely don't add up.

The meh:

This makes up for not having that many bad!

Let's hope Gina's catering practice now keeps them going, because one party given among friends, even if that Bruins player wants them to cater a party isn't going to take them very far. Also, how much was Gina making for catering a friend's surprise party?

Of course Greta is in love with Katherine and it not being just a fling to her. Too bad. At least Eddie is aware of it, though, surprise!

Tyrell's back. On one hand, I'm shocked the show remembers that he existed! On the other hand, he really could have stayed gone as far as I was concerned. I don't mind Tyrell, I just don't think he's necessary.

You know, there is literally no one at my work that I would like to be invited to a surprise birthday party for me. I can understand Cam roping in Claudia to help plan or something, so he would invite her. But, Maggie's boss and Nick, who Maggie doesn't like? (I still do, though.) 

So, I don't exactly know what to think about this episode.

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Somehow I had a feeling Anna would be okay with what Gary did to Peter. But I still wouldn't want to get involved with his friend group in any way if I were her.

And Greta. And Cam's days are numbered, but he also needs to get out. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I feel kind of bad for Eddie. He has messed up a lot, but he didn't attack Peter and couldn't really turn Gary in. It sucks that he loses the first person he has been interested in since the divorce. Meanwhile Gary has no consequences for an actual crime. I get Anna feeling lied to, but it is not really Eddie's place to tell her, at least not that soon.

The preview was very misleading about Katherine and Greta. I guess good for Katherine. I hope Eddie's look when he saw them was just surprise and he won't have an issue with them.

Rome and Regina's foster son is back after like 7 months? Wasn't he in school? I guess they have a liberal attendance policy. They are doing a good job with Rome's depression, but it is so tough to watch. I guess that's the point.

So Maggie is into Gary again because he understands being a cancer survivor. Okay, but maybe end things with the nice guy who threw you a huge party before kissing him? Or maybe just tell the new boyfriend about how you are feeling to see if he can understand too. Does he even know she's a cancer survivor?

Also, if Maggie is turning 30 now, she was what, 27 when the show started? If she finished grad school at 24/25 that does not give her very much experience as a psychologist. It also makes her much younger than Gary. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 7

Oh, well it's back to shitting on Eddie, I guess! At least this time, it wasn't REALLY his fault. Yes, he didn't tell Anna about Gary, but he just started dating the woman. And he was encouraged by multiple people to bring Anna along! But him having to deal with Anna probably breaking things off, and seeing his newly ex wife kissing another woman? Damn, Eddie's night didn't end so well.

Can't feel bad for Gary, honestly. He's pining over his ex in another relationship. But I guess things aren't so bad since she decided to cheat on her current boyfriend with her ex! Seriously, can people stop cheating on this show?

I do like Katherine/Greta, but it is annoying that Greta decided to show up at Katherine's friend's party like that. Ladies, you are not in high school. Keep your secret romance away from parties where people can find out. Goodness. 

Oh yeah, Tyrell exists. I forgot about him, honestly. I thought he was gone forever. I do enjoy the Rome storyline, as hard as it can be to watch.

So, Regina and her friend are starting a catering business? I guess?

• Love 9

This was such a soap opera episode.

Did Nash base Maggie on someone he was obsessed with? 

Cam is love-bombing and money-bombing Maggie. Because Maggie is an adorable goddess?

Every character has the same sense of humor.

But I did like, 

“So they did like my frockets.”

”I don’t know what that is, but………….. probably not.”

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I do like how this show is handling Rome's depression. 

I hated the scene where Regina was trying to get him to sing and dance with her only because I felt secondhand leave me the hell alone for Rome.

(As a depressive introvert, I would have hated that whole party, too. I think that's also part of why Maggie is feeling things for Gary, not just because he understands what it is to survive cancer, but he also understood how she would have felt about the party and why. Cam didn't seem to get that she really didn't want to make a big deal of her birthday. Which is why I'm glad Gary warned her, even if it was at the last minute (literally). She also did a better job faking surprise than most characters who get spoiled for their surprise parties even after all the wacky hijinks trying to hide it.)

7 hours ago, historylover820 said:

But, Maggie's boss and Nick, who Maggie doesn't like? (I still do, though.) 

And he doesn't like her! Actually, I kinda like him just because of that.

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I hope Eddie's look when he saw them was just surprise and he won't have an issue with them.

Me, too. I'm already pre-annoyed by whatever Theo is going to say when he finds out.

7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

that does not give her very much experience as a psychologist.

...that could explain a lot, actually...

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

And he doesn't like her! Actually, I kinda like him just because of that.

I love this guy!!! Maggie [synonym for vacuums] and he sees her.

But the Nash minions will craft a heartfelt epiphany for him, I am sure.

• Love 2

I was hoping against hope that we wouldn't see Maggie and Gary together again...even though they have been obviously heading that way.  Maggie should stick with her unicorn boyfriend.  He really is too good to be believed though.  Is he perfect to cover up being a serial killer or what?

I don't understand why Eddie would be obligated to share confidential information about his very close friend with someone he just started dating.  I think that would be a massive betrayal of Gary. I understand all the complications of the situation, but at heart it comes down to a secret of a friend.

I still hate that Gary committed a violent act and got away with it, but at this point, I want to just forget about it.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I hear that about the party. I'm an introvert who suffers from anxiety, and having a surprise party would be the exact worst thing ever for me.

I've had one surprise party, when I was 10. They weren't very good at hiding it so I was suspicious and not particularly surprised.

I could deal with a surprise small gathering of friends, but a big fancy party with baby pictures and video messages...no thank you.

• Love 5

I would say that the whole "everyone tries to make birthday person feel bad about forgetting their birthday until they reveal the surprise party" trope is really stupid, except the exact thing happened to me when I was sixteen. I loved it but I can see why some people wouldn't, especially when they are just not in the mood. However, I am not in the mood to feel bad for Maggie, what an asshole. Her perfectly lovely boyfriend does all of this nice stuff to celebrate her birthday and she thanks him by making out with her ex boyfriend at the party he threw for her. She knows how much infidelity has hurt so many of her friends, but she just decides to do the same thing anyway because YOLO. At least Gary and Maggie restarting their terrible romance means that Cam wont be stuck with her anymore, run away while you still can Cam.

I am also really surprised that Maggie is only thirty. While she is incredibly immature, I assumed she was at least old enough to have been a practicing therapist for awhile, with school, rounds, enough time to build up client relationships, have a tragic backstory with one of them, and have cancer, it seems like she should be a bit older to have all of that under her belt.

Greta seems alright, but if I was Katherine I would be wary of the whole "my wife and I are basically divorced" line. Isn't that the line every adulterer drops to the side piece to convince them that this is all totally fine and they will be together for real? Even if that really is what's going on, does she really want her first real relationship after her divorce to be possibly messy? I just do not care, I am still salty that they broke up Katherine and Eddie and I will never stop. 

I did not expect to see Ty again, I thought he disappeared into offscreen land with all of the other characters who exist to teach us an important lesson and then disappear. I don't like Ty all that much so I am not really thrilled to see him, but I do think the story with Rome's depression is being handled well. Although, as needlessly harsh as Rome was with Ty about the headphones and as much as this was clearly his depression talking, he wasn't really wrong that Ty needs to stop taking his stuff. I get that its just a thing between them, but it really is rude, disrespectful and a big reason why I don't like Ty. He has this sense of entitlement with Rome and Regina that I dislike. 

I figured that Ana would let Gary get away with what he did, the show has really committed to Gary getting away with this violent crime. I hate this story and I am happy to pretend it never happened, its so out of place in this show and its such a dark act for this frothy melodrama, like its part of a totally different show, it adds an energy that is hard to avoid but that I really want to. Looks like we are heading into "everyone dumps on Eddie" territory, even if this wasn't really his fault. Its not like this was Eddie's secret to tell and it sucks now that he is losing the one person who has shown interest in him. 

The "our safe word is Eddie" bit was funny though.

I am shocked, shocked that Delilah never showed up on the birthday video, even if her teenage son and toddler did. She's presumably busy fainting onto her fainting couch or something.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't like Ty all that much so I am not really thrilled to see him, but I do think the story with Rome's depression is being handled well. Although, as needlessly harsh as Rome was with Ty about the headphones and as much as this was clearly his depression talking, he wasn't really wrong that Ty needs to stop taking his stuff. I get that its just a thing between them, but it really is rude, disrespectful and a big reason why I don't like Ty. He has this sense of entitlement with Rome and Regina that I dislike. 

I figured that Ana would let Gary get away with what he did, the show has really committed to Gary getting away with this violent crime. I hate this story and I am happy to pretend it never happened, its so out of place in this show and its such a dark act for this frothy melodrama, like its part of a totally different show, it adds an energy that is hard to avoid but that I really want to. Looks like we are heading into "everyone dumps on Eddie" territory, even if this wasn't really his fault. Its not like this was Eddie's secret to tell and it sucks now that he is losing the one person who has shown interest in him. 

I am surprised at how well Rome's depression is being portrayed.  It's quite accurate.  

I'm sorry Ty came back.  I don't know where he got the entitled attitude but I don't want to see it.

This is so exactly how I feel about the Gary situation.  For Gary to commit a violent crime does not fit on this show at all, but at this point it's best not to waste any more time on it.  Just sweep it under the rug and move on.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Suzn said:

I don't understand why Eddie would be obligated to share confidential information about his very close friend with someone he just started dating.  I think that would be a massive betrayal of Gary. I understand all the complications of the situation, but at heart it comes down to a secret of a friend.

I still hate that Gary committed a violent act and got away with it, but at this point, I want to just forget about it.

Yeah, Anna totally forgave Gary, in fact declaring that her ex had it coming (getting away with almost literally murder), yet gets upset with Eddie for keeping it from her. So, Eddie is even paying for mistakes of others. Because he's Nash's favorite whipping boy.

Poor Eddie.

• Love 3
(edited)

I actually like Tyrell and was glad to see him back.

At the end of the episode I said (out loud) "Oh F***" in a disgusted tone. I knew it might be coming, but I AM NOT HAPPY about it.

I wish Eddie had looked a little more like he was seeing his daughter in that video. He looked happy - but it seems like he would be also a bit sad.

I will miss Maggie's soon to be ex-boyfriend. But I guess they're saying screwed up people only want other screwed up people. I loved seeing the actor, he was doing such a great job as a nice guy that I didn't recognize him right off as the douche he played so well in Veronica Mars.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6

Always enjoy everyone's comments. This show seems to rely exclusively on the "ends justifies the means" philosophy of life. Sort of twist on the Shakespearian "all's well that ends well" theory.  There is seldom genuine payback for bad behavior because it is always explained away. 

Gary should not have committed a crime (totally hated that storyline), but...everyone has seemingly forgiven him, so there we go. Even Ana seems to agree. No harm, no foul.

I think Maggie actually is right to leave Gil because he has been completely oblivious to her stated wishes ("no" doesn't seem to mean "no" when it comes to birthday celebrations). I don't think he's the perfect boyfriend at all. He's nice on the surface but there's a lot of narcissism there. She may even be right to return to Gary because, truth be known, they are very similar in their messed-up, passive-aggressive ways. So... the kiss in the elevator before breaking up with Gil? Ends justifies the means...she'll be back with Gary. After a few more bumps in the road, I'm sure.

And now we've added adultery to the romance between Katharine and Greta. Isn't it enough that Katharine is exploring a completely new way to relate to her sexuality? We have to add a cheating component? Again, though, since Greta shows up at a party (in a closet, how ironic...) so once again, it's OK to get involved with a married person...

And Eddie doesn't seem the least bit interested in seeing his daughter who is now in France on video. Another plot point conveniently dismissed...

It's amazing how they manage to keep the characters likeable at all when they behave so badly. 

Other issues:

Maggie is a psychologist, not a psychiatrist as was mentioned earlier.  Psychiatry requires a medical degree. Psychologist requires a license, which generally requires doctoral-level training-- Ph.D., Psy.D., or Ed.D.  State-regulated.  Most doctoral programs can take upward of 5 years depending on whether pursued full-time or part-time and whether there's a dissertation requirement. And given her cancer treatment, she would likely have dropped down to a part-time status or even taken a leave of absence. Also, she would have had to complete a certain number of hours of clinical training and supervision, so it's unlikely she would be this far along in her career if she were only 30. And I can't recall why she went to England-- was that a post-doc experience?  Although her lack of time in the field certainly explains her many bone-headed decisions and statements. 

I agree with you all- the depression scenes with Rome are painful, but honest.  I was frustrated with some of the "cheer-up" messages but that is something people who are depressed face all the time. I was sorry that Rome and Gary didn't connect toward the end of the episode. I think they could have shared their mutual challenges and actually supported each other. Opportunity missed. 

I'm not hating this show as much as I did, despite how these comments might sound. I think the writing is better. They really backed themselves into a corner with the Gary/crime scenario, and I think they're doing the best they can to work out of it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't blame Anna for breaking up with Eddie.  She was lied to for years by her husband, and the last thing she wants to do is get involved with another guy who keeps information from her.  She was blindsided by seeing and recognizing Gary, and that should never have happened.  Yeah, I get Eddie's reasoning that he didn't want to reveal Gary's crime to her, but because of that, he should never have continued seeing her, period.  HE knew he'd be lying to her, and he did it anyway because he selfishly wanted to date someone regardless of whether he was starting that relationship off with a HUGE lie between them.  It's his fault he got busted and dumped.  Lying to his significant other so as to benefit himself is a pattern with him, a pattern he continued right away with Anna.

So sick of the Maggie worship, which overflowed to nausea in this episode.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 9
21 minutes ago, izabella said:

I don't blame Anna for breaking up with Eddie.  She was lied to for years by her husband, and the last thing she wants to do is get involved with another guy who keeps information from her.  She was blindsided by seeing and recognizing Gary, and that should never have happened.  Yeah, I get Eddie's reasoning that he didn't want to reveal Gary's crime to her, but because of that, he should never have continued seeing her, period.  HE knew he'd be lying to her, and he did it anyway because he selfishly wanted to date someone regardless of whether he was starting that relationship off with a HUGE lie between them.  It's his fault he got busted and dumped.  Lying to his significant other so as to benefit himself is a pattern with him, a pattern he continued right away with Anna.

Absolutely agree. Is it unfortunate? Yes, but at the same time, it's just reality. You can't have a secret THAT big hanging over a relationship. 

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, MadeleineElster said:

Maggie is a psychologist, not a psychiatrist as was mentioned earlier.  Psychiatry requires a medical degree. Psychologist requires a license, which generally requires doctoral-level training-- Ph.D., Psy.D., or Ed.D.  State-regulated.  Most doctoral programs can take upward of 5 years depending on whether pursued full-time or part-time and whether there's a dissertation requirement. And given her cancer treatment, she would likely have dropped down to a part-time status or even taken a leave of absence. Also, she would have had to complete a certain number of hours of clinical training and supervision, so it's unlikely she would be this far along in her career if she were only 30. And I can't recall why she went to England-- was that a post-doc experience?  Although her lack of time in the field certainly explains her many bone-headed decisions and statements. 

Nevermind. Changed my mind.

Edited by historylover820
Changed my mind about this post.

Wow, Cam isn’t a perfect boyfriend after all! As an introvert, I totally understand Maggie’s wish for a low-key birthday celebration. No means no Cam. But that doesn’t justify her impulsive kiss. It’s just stupid. But since it’s Maggie the goddess, all will be forgiven by next episode. 🙄

Hey show, why do you have to bring back Tyrell, the most annoying and entitled character? Why not PJ? Rome and PJ have deeper connection and chemistry when it comes to depression.

Gina used to be my favourite character but now she is as annoying as Tyrell. AMLT has ruined Gina for me.

I hope we will see Anna again because I want Eddie to finally be happy. Give Anna some times to gather her thoughts etc.

Am praying (really hard) that Theo’s confusion (or meltdown) re his mom dating a woman will be dealt with OFF screen. I do not need/want to see more of that kid on screen.

Why Dixon’s family house still hasn’t been sold? How it’s maintained under Sophie’s care, practically and financially?

So, Stephanie Szostak has really moved on from AMLT huh. Even a 15-seconds cameo isn’t possible. Just kill off the character, bring Danny and Charlie back to Boston. There’ll be more interesting storylines for these 2 characters with Eddie, Sophie, uncle Gary and uncle Rome.

This is Eddie’s best reaction when seeing his daughter! Oh my…🤦🏻‍♀️

E18C2B72-2570-4015-9F8B-2C7F6F8F6A96.jpeg

• Love 3
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've had one surprise party, when I was 10. They weren't very good at hiding it so I was suspicious and not particularly surprised.

I could deal with a surprise small gathering of friends, but a big fancy party with baby pictures and video messages...no thank you.

Same here, I would hate a big fancy party. But I am an introvert. Maggie is not and she seems to love attention normally.

1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Wow, Cam isn’t a perfect boyfriend after all! As an introvert, I totally understand Maggie’s wish for a low-key birthday celebration. No means no Cam. But that doesn’t justify her impulsive kiss. It’s just stupid. But since it’s Maggie the goddess, all will be forgiven by next episode. 🙄

But had Maggie told him about her wish for a low-key birthday before that morning? He offered to take her to dinner and she said she'd rather stay in. At that point the party was planned and everyone was invited. It is ridiculous that they wouldn't have talked about what to do the night of her birthday prior to that morning, but it didn't seem they did. 

I guess they had to make it her 30th because they wanted it to be a milestone to warrant the party and all the feelings about surviving cancer. But they wouldn't want to say she was 40 because it sounds so much older and they want to portray the cast as semi-young people (even though the majority of them are in fact over 40).

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I wish Eddie had looked a little more like he was seeing his daughter in that video. He looked happy - but it seems like he would be also a bit sad.

I thought his reaction was perfect. He looked happy to see her while also looking wistful that he wasn't with her.

• Love 1

Katherine's reaction leaving Grace's apartment was too overdramatic for the character. Anna's reaction leaving the party was too overdramatic. She forgives, thanks Gary but gets mad at Eddie? Not questioning the reasons for being outraged, sad, mad, but both reactions were way too much, bearing comical. Gary needs to go. They backed the character in a corner and there is no good solution. 

Eddie calling Anna was pointless, since not only the writing, but also the directing was so bad, she left without her coat and phone.

I will be the voice of dissent here and say that I don't like the way they are doing the depression plot. I am not sure what it is, but if feels forced at times. Other times it seems legit. I have had bouts of sadness and despair, maybe it was depression, and I cannot relate to Rome for the most part. Forcing himself to do certain things when his closest friends know what is going on feels wrong, but I am not sure it is exactly what is bugging me

• Love 4
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

So, Stephanie Szostak has really moved on from AMLT huh. Even a 15-seconds cameo isn’t possible. Just kill off the character, bring Danny and Charlie back to Boston. There’ll be more interesting storylines for these 2 characters with Eddie, Sophie, uncle Gary and uncle Rome.

This is Eddie’s best reaction when seeing his daughter! Oh my…🤦🏻‍♀️

E18C2B72-2570-4015-9F8B-2C7F6F8F6A96.jpeg

Can't they replace Stephanie Szostak? 

I am with Rome snapping on Tyrell. Someone needs to tell him he's being rude and entitled as hell. Why did they bring him back and not Danny and Charlie.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Why did they bring him back and not Danny and Charlie.

Well, for the story to work like this they would have to kill Delilah, or make her give up on her kids, shipping them over to friends. Since they cannot work a story to work compassion into it, they would have to make her a terrible person. which they are not willing to do. But the reason is that working children and minors into shows is more expensive and full of logistics than with adults.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

Since they cannot work a story to work compassion into it, they would have to make her a terrible person. 

But Delilah already is. 😅

I get what you are saying though. Not a fan of Tyrell. If he came back humbled that would've been nice. 

• Love 1
(edited)

There’s no chemistry between Maggie and Cam - or between Maggie and Gary - or between Maggie and British guy. Doesn’t help that Maggie looks like a twelve-year-old, but imo there’s a lack of couples chemistry across the board on this show. Could be the heavy use of repartee, which is more fun to write than more subtle communication.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 2

That surprise-breakfast-in-bed-not-hungry scenario has been used many times, and I always think the same thing - jeez, just take a few bites and enjoy the coffee, asshole.

• LOL 6
  • Love 11
14 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought his reaction was perfect. He looked happy to see her while also looking wistful that he wasn't with her.

I guess I didn't see the wistful part of that. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great actor (who once was terrible but kept learning).

1 hour ago, nexxie said:

That surprise-breakfast-in-bed-not-hungry scenario has been used many times, and I always think the same thing - jeez, just take a few bites and enjoy the coffee, asshole.

Breakfast in bed would be a no-go for me in any case. It's awkward and I'd be liable to spill everything onto the bed. But I do agree with the take a few bites - it's rude otherwise.

• Love 2

I'm fine with Tyrell.  I didn't need to see him again but I don't mind him.  

And I don't think Theo's reaction to his mom dating a woman will be all that over the top... well, I guess unless it is over the top with positivity.  He's gonna have loads of friends who have two moms and YA and even middle grade books these days are chock full of representation.  He'll be fine.  But I would buy too perky about it.  

I thought Eddie looked happy and a little sad seeing Charlie and felt that was an appropriate reaction.  

I hate Gary pining.  I hate Maggie kissing him in the elevator.  The whole thing is pretty grr... but that Gary and Maggie are endgame has always been obvious, so I'm not surprised.

I also didn't mind Anna being skeptical of Eddie.  I mean there was no good way or good time for Eddie to unload the truth about Gary so I don't think Eddie was really wrong there, but she's reacting to finding out somebody else has these secrets and after having been blindsided so much in her last relationship, I buy her reaction here.

But I'm not willing to declare this one done.  I think we'll see Anna again... and when we do she won't be carrying her ex's baby.  

• Love 1

Given that it was presumed that Anna didn't know who beat up her husband (or was the instigator of / accessory to it), how, exactly, was Eddie supposed to tell her? He would be risking sending his best friend to jail, since they couldn't know how she'd react. His only choice was to stop seeing her altogether, because it was never his secret to tell. I think she'll come to realize that there was no malice in his lie of omission. Or else, considering it's AMLT, we'll never see her again.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Given that it was presumed that Anna didn't know who beat up her husband (or was the instigator of / accessory to it), how, exactly, was Eddie supposed to tell her? He would be risking sending his best friend to jail, since they couldn't know how she'd react. His only choice was to stop seeing her altogether, because it was never his secret to tell. I think she'll come to realize that there was no malice in his lie of omission. Or else, considering it's AMLT, we'll never see her again.

Especially since she, with her approval of Gary's actions, will be holding the same secret - without even knowing Gary. There are secrets and then there are SECRETS. What her husband did to girls is the latter type of secret - secrets that damage innocent young (or old) people. Yeah, my primal mind agrees the guy got what was coming to him, my rational mind..um, does too.  Not that I think Gary should have done it - but my heart isn't exactly bleeding for the creep.

I think, if they keep going with it, that she'll come around.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

I don't recall how Eddie and Anna met and started dating, but seems to me it would have been wise to not bring Anna to this party.  What if her reaction to Gary was different and she went to the police? 

Is the dating pool in the area they live so small that Eddie couldn't just find someone without a connection to Gary's crime?

• Love 3
On 3/4/2022 at 5:27 AM, circumvent said:

I will be the voice of dissent here and say that I don't like the way they are doing the depression plot. I am not sure what it is, but if feels forced at times. Other times it seems legit. I have had bouts of sadness and despair, maybe it was depression, and I cannot relate to Rome for the most part. Forcing himself to do certain things when his closest friends know what is going on feels wrong, but I am not sure it is exactly what is bugging me

You’re not a lone voice of dissent. I didn’t like it either and am not entirely sure why.  Too much “tell” rather than “show”, perhaps.  I feel like he’s too animated and engaged and just periodically saying “I’m sad”, “I’m depressed”. I don’t know what exactly, but it’s mainly not working for me.

On the other hand, that party was the most fraught ever! These people carry on like they’re still in high school (or Fleetwood Mac), continuing to socialize all in a group despite breakups and rivalries and even attempted murder. In my experience, grown ups tend not to hang out with recent exes unless forced to by events for mutual children or whatever. But it sure made for !drama!

[small voice] I like Maggie and Gary together and was happy when they kissed. (Plus, it leaves the perfect Cam free for me :))

• Love 4
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Given that it was presumed that Anna didn't know who beat up her husband (or was the instigator of / accessory to it), how, exactly, was Eddie supposed to tell her?

Just pig-backing on this, the way Anna found out that it was Gary who committed the crime was contrived at best. She glanced at a face in one night a few months (?) ago, them was able to place that face on someone she met at a party - and even if Sophie was there was not such an obvious connection, Sophie wasn't even around Gary during the party. I mean, it is possible when all you have in your mind is this one event, so when you see pieces coming together you might be able to fill the gaps but the way they did it was too forceful - what's new about this show? Then, without even processing this important information - a crime is pretty damn important - she already has a formed opinion. That's not how humans react to things of this magnitude. We process stuff, the conclusions don't always come, opinions wiill change because emotions are involved. Oh, show.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, circumvent said:

Just pig-backing on this, the way Anna found out that it was Gary who committed the crime was contrived at best. She glanced at a face in one night a few months (?) ago, them was able to place that face on someone she met at a party - and even if Sophie was there was not such an obvious connection, Sophie wasn't even around Gary during the party. I mean, it is possible when all you have in your mind is this one event, so when you see pieces coming together you might be able to fill the gaps but the way they did it was too forceful - what's new about this show? Then, without even processing this important information - a crime is pretty damn important - she already has a formed opinion. That's not how humans react to things of this magnitude. We process stuff, the conclusions don't always come, opinions wiill change because emotions are involved. Oh, show.

Anna saw Gary through a windshield in semi-darkness.  Even with an exceptional memory, I question whether she would instantly recognize him and then be sure he was the one guilty of beating Peter.  At most, I could see her thinking there was something familiar about him.

I'm going to repeat what I wrote earlier that Eddie did nothing wrong in not telling Gary's secret.  That would be a complete betrayal of Gary with many serious consequences possible.  He was keeping Gary's secret, not his own and certainly owed more loyalty to Gary than a woman he had just starting dating.

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm not supportive of Gary having been involved with the Peter beatdown, but at the party I was yelling at Gary to Not Admit To Anything!  He could have just said you must be mistaken, how many cars that fit that description are there, etc.  Deny, deny, deny!  Now there's three people in on The Secret.  Not good.

I hate that Maggie kissed Gary in the elevator.  She needs to break up with Cam and stop leading him on.  Cam got shit on when Maggie refused his breakfast in bed, and then sneaking a kiss to another man at the party he threw for her!

Greta showing up at the party was kind of ... stalkerish?  Of course the kiss-and-make up scene takes place in a coat closet.  Ha!  I predict when Theo finds out he'll be throwing confetti and glitter around in celebration because he's so "with it" and understands perfectly about LGBTQ issues.  (He's already an environmental warrior wanting to cancel glitter so maybe no glitter.  Is confetti environmentally friendly?  What about balloons?)

Edited by CrystalBlue
and not on
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think Theo will be fine with the LGBTQ aspect of it, but will have a  meltdown if the relationship becomes serious.  I'm sure he's harboring a deep wish for his parents to get back together eventually, like they have before.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, cinsays said:

I don't recall how Eddie and Anna met and started dating, but seems to me it would have been wise to not bring Anna to this party.  What if her reaction to Gary was different and she went to the police? 

Is the dating pool in the area they live so small that Eddie couldn't just find someone without a connection to Gary's crime?

They met at a music store. Eddie decided it was okay to bring her because Gary kept insisting absolutely no one saw him at Peter's. This is clearly bullshit, since he saw Anna see him in that flashback. I can see him thinking it was too quick a glance to identify him, but he should have warned Eddie that Anna may have seen him near the house.

However, I agree it is insane that Anna was able to recognize Gary from that quick glance. And that she was able to put together that he beat Peter up. When the police investigated I don't remember her saying how she'd seen some strange guy watching the house.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Suzn said:

Anna saw Gary through a windshield in semi-darkness.  Even with an exceptional memory, I question whether she would instantly recognize him and then be sure he was the one guilty of beating Peter.  At most, I could see her thinking there was something familiar about him.

15 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

However, I agree it is insane that Anna was able to recognize Gary from that quick glance. And that she was able to put together that he beat Peter up. When the police investigated I don't remember her saying how she'd seen some strange guy watching the house.

Maybe soon we will find out that Anna has hyperthymesia.

Anything is possible in AMLT universe! 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, izabella said:

I think Theo will be fine with the LGBTQ aspect of it, but will have a  meltdown if the relationship becomes serious.  I'm sure he's harboring a deep wish for his parents to get back together eventually, like they have before.

Theo will be fine. Greta, on the other hand, might just run from the kid as fast and as far as she can after a couple of encounters. It will be traumatizing for her.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, circumvent said:

Theo will be fine. Greta, on the other hand, might just run from the kid as fast and as far as she can after a couple of encounters. It will be traumatizing for her.

Oooh, I didn't even think of that!  Katherine comes with Theo as a package deal!  Greta is still married to her wife in London but the kiss-and-make up-coat-closet scene cured all that, huh?

• Love 1

Attention, please:  If someone in your life is dealing with depression, do not get in his/her face with the fingerpops and the hip checks and the shake your booty dance music.   

You can't cheer up and you can't snap out of it and I think Gina would know this, you stupid effing writers.

Anna:  "Don't worry, Gary, your secret is safe with me."

Anna, 30 seconds later:  "Eddie, did you know Gary was the one who attacked my ex-husband?"

• Love 9
On 3/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I do like Katherine/Greta, but it is annoying that Greta decided to show up at Katherine's friend's party like that. Ladies, you are not in high school. Keep your secret romance away from parties where people can find out. Goodness.

I like Katherine/Greta too. It’s not at all clear to me that Greta knows Katherine isn’t out to her friends, especially since Katherine had asked her to come to the party earlier. She seems like someone who’d know better than to put Katherine in the position of outing herself before she’s ready.

I’ve always thought Maggie is a moron and now I’m 100% positive. I’d take Cam over Gary any day of the week. So I kinda hope Gary the dog thief and Maggie decide to move somewhere far, far away and the writers find a way to keep Cam around.

• Love 2
On 3/3/2022 at 7:22 AM, Suzn said:

Completely agree. It wasn’t his secret to tell, but Anna’s all “You LIED to me!” No, keeping someone else’s confidence and not telling something that isn’t yours to tell is not the same thing as lying.

There seems to be a common trope in TV and movies that not telling someone absolutely everything they want to know is the same thing as lying and therefore a horrible offense. In cases where it’s not your place to blab someone else’s private information, and/or it’s none of their business, that just isn’t true. A couple of other commonly used tropes (both in TV/movies and, unfortunately, IRL lately) that are corollaries to this: 1) Anytime someone asks you a nosy question that’s none of their business, you’re obligated to tell them everything they want to know simply because they asked; and 2) anytime someone asks for a favor, no matter how much of an imposition it is, you’re obligated to say yes, also just because they asked. All of the above are irritating AF to me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

I think precious Theo will be ok...he seems to have no problem with Danny.

Agree he won't adapt to other SO's for his parents.

Theo still wants to tattle tale on each of his parents on what the other is doing dating-wise.  Eddie should have arranged for him to be shipped off to France so he could keep his half-sister Charlie and Danny company.  Now we have to get Theo's weigh-ins on what he thinks about his future maybe stepparents.  Ugh.

• Love 5

Although, as needlessly harsh as Rome was with Ty about the headphones and as much as this was clearly his depression talking, he wasn't really wrong that Ty needs to stop taking his stuff. I get that its just a thing between them, but it really is rude, disrespectful and a big reason why I don't like Ty. He has this sense of entitlement with Rome and Regina that I dislike.

This. No need for Rome to apologize. Seems it was only Ty's thing, not Rome's.

I am surprised at how well Rome's depression is being portrayed.  It's quite accurate.

You can't cheer up and you can't snap out of it and I think Gina would know this, you stupid effing writers.

Yes, Rome is accurate, and someone trying to cheer up a chronically depressed person is accurate. Gina not educating herself about chronic depression to know that she can't cheer Rome up seems unrealistic. It's the definition of Chronic Depression that it is not situational, therefore changing the situation (to a dance party) does not cure the depression. But there are idiots out there.... I loved that Rome decided to go running instead of to the party, because exercise is one way to help combat depression, and he was desperate since the new meds weren't helping (or helping yet).

I was yelling at the TV "how come you didn't put this together (that the man in the car could be the perpetrator, since you'd seen him casing the house before) back when the incident happened?"

Agree that Eddie should have stayed away from her just for the possibility that she'd put 2 and 2 together. Too risky for Gary.

Wow, Cam isn’t a perfect boyfriend after all! As an introvert, I totally understand Maggie’s wish for a low-key birthday celebration. No means no Cam.

As others pointed out, she only said she wanted a low-key celebration that morning. But given that this is her first birthday with Cam and it's a milestone, you'd think she'd have brought it up sooner that "hey, my 30th is coming up, but due to my cancer, I really don't want to celebrate it." (Is is only milestone birthdays that bother her and Gary, or all birthdays?).

Breakfast in bed would be a no-go for me in any case. It's awkward and I'd be liable to spill everything onto the bed.

Why do people think this is luxurious? You know where else people have breakfast in bed? The hospital.

Cam had just woken Maggie up. Didn't she have to pee?

"everyone tries to make birthday person feel bad about forgetting their birthday until they reveal the surprise party"

I don't think it's that everyone tries to make the person feel bad, but that's the result because everyone's afraid to say anything that might tip off, or get in the way of, the plans. My in-laws love surprise parties, but I hate them for this reason. It's really only exciting for the planners, not the honoree. All done just for that one minute of "SURPRISE!!!" Then it's just a regular party. And don't get me on the people who have to travel in for a surprise party but can't let the honoree know ($50 cab ride from train to hotel, $140 hotel overnight, another $50 cab ride, all to surprise my niece for her wedding shower -- I couldn't stay with her or get rides from her else I'd spoil the surprise). At least they did conspire to get Maggie dressed nicely for the party. A friend was dressed in sweats for the gym for her surprise wedding shower.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Why do people think this is luxurious? You know where else people have breakfast in bed? The hospital.

I know, right? Unless I'm really, really sick, I don't want to eat breakfast in bed. Even on those occasions, it's generally soup in a cup - no elaborate set up on a tray. Too many possible mishaps, too awkward with the tray.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

I don't think it's that everyone tries to make the person feel bad, but that's the result because everyone's afraid to say anything that might tip off, or get in the way of, the plans. My in-laws love surprise parties, but I hate them for this reason. It's really only exciting for the planners, not the honoree. All done just for that one minute of "SURPRISE!!!" Then it's just a regular party. And don't get me on the people who have to travel in for a surprise party but can't let the honoree know ($50 cab ride from train to hotel, $140 hotel overnight, another $50 cab ride, all to surprise my niece for her wedding shower -- I couldn't stay with her or get rides from her else I'd spoil the surprise). At least they did conspire to get Maggie dressed nicely for the party. A friend was dressed in sweats for the gym for her surprise wedding shower.

The sweats thing reminds me of the Two Coreys. There was an episode where Corey Feldman’s wife was out shopping or at the gym or something all day and he set up this big surprise for her (I think it was their anniversary). So she comes home all exhausted and instead of letting her go relax a bit and get changed, he springs this “romantic” setup on her where he’s singing to her (in her sweats) and there’s roses, etc… It came across like a great big narcissistic stunt that was really all about him.

Speaking of surprise parties only being exciting for the planners… I was once put in the extremely awkward (and rather hurtful) position of being neither the guest of honor nor one of the planners! It was So. Freaking. Rude. Some of my husband’s friends threw him a surprise birthday party at their house and never said a word to me about it. They didn’t have my cell number but we all worked for the same company, so it’s not like they couldn’t have gotten hold of me in advance. And if I’d planned something for him myself they would have stepped all over it.

Edited by CarpeFelis