Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Sex, Lies and House-Hunting

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Wise decision on not taking Ben's offer, Darlene. I sympathize with her frustration over not getting that house, 'cause it looked really nice, and I know very well how tough it is to see a really nice home that you have no hope of getting. The attitude about single women owning a place is ridiculous, too. 

But yeah, as nice and generous as it was for Ben to make that offer, it comes with its own potential issues, especially since they aren't together. So she's right to turn him down. Hopefully she will eventually manage to find a place that she can get on her own terms. The fact Harris and Mark are teenagers now is another factor for her to consider, too - Harris has already been living on her own as it is, and Mark's a teenager now, too. So as they get older and get out on their own more, she won't need nearly as much room. That could help narrow down her options for her a little more easily, too. 

(I also got a chuckle out of the discussion about having a sibling as a roommate. Having shared many a room with my sister throughout our lives - currently doing so now, in fact, until she gets into her own place - I could definitely relate to and was nodding along with that entire conversation :p.)

Deflating the bike tires, though? Not so smart. Same with Jackie goofing about with that statue at the cemetery. She's more than old enough to know better than to touch others' stuff like that. 

And speaking of the cemetery, Becky? If you're going to shush Jackie for mentioning the professor's name, then maybe you shouldn't be on the phone with him in an area where you know your friends and classmates could risk overhearing you. Just saying. They've already taken enough risk, they really should just agree to hold off on dating until after the class is over. I do wonder if Becky having that date with that guy will eventually cause her, or the professor, to decide that the risk isn't worth it and they agree to see others eventually. May not be a bad idea, if this relationship is going to cause this much mess as it stands now. 

On the plus side, I really liked the top Becky had on when the professor came to pick her up for their date. That whole outfit looked cute on her :). 

• Love 12
35 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

And speaking of the cemetery, Becky? If you're going to shush Jackie for mentioning the professor's name, then maybe you shouldn't be on the phone with him in an area where you know your friends and classmates could risk overhearing you. Just saying. 

Heh, I was thinking the same thing, even before the exchange with Jackie. "Why are you calling him "hon" on the phone in the middle of the thing?"

It's so stupid...just wait a few months. A semester isn't that long.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 18

I don’t want to get to preachy but I feel like I need to say this. Please remember this is a show and rn the world is tense because of certain new events happening right now. If your episode gets interrupted or something just remember your missing an episode of a fictional show while in real life things serious things are happening. 

mod if this isn’t allowed you can move it to the correct thread.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

If Becky and Darlene were planning to live together, and Darlene didn't know Becky was experiencing doubts about it, why wouldn't Darlene have just told the real estate agent it was going to be her and her sister and their kids; if the seller is all about stability, siblings last a hell of a lot longer than romantic partnerships, and the shared responsibility of kids reduces the risk of "I can't stand living with your ass and want out" scenarios.

(This, of course, sets aside how Darlene who couldn't even rent a place has managed to save up enough from a middle management job to buy one in this time frame to begin with.)

Ben offering to co-sign actually sort of made sense as something he would do in the moment, and good for Darlene turning it down.  "I don't even know what happened to me, I was always such an independent person ... I want to walk through every room of the house and know I got it on my own" was a nice spark of life.

"We're not taking no for an answer, we'll pick you up at 8:00"?  Pick her up from where; the cover story didn't provide for it, so why not just "We'll meet you there"?  A minor quibble, I know, but that whole exchange with Becky and the other students was stupid.  And I don't understand the point of this Becky/Professor storyline in general, since the show is not using any character other than one random student who gets dismissed to acknowledge how fucking stupid this relationship is - just wait until the semester is over. 

Defining great characters like Becky and Darlene Conner primarily in relation to men in this spinoff is profoundly offensive.

It's such a small thing, but it continues to drive me nuts when they refer to Darlene (and, for a time, Ben) living in her "childhood bedroom".  Just say "childhood home" as it makes the same point and is accurate - Mark is the one in her old bedroom, she's in D.J.'s.

• Love 18
On 2/24/2022 at 4:55 AM, ButterQueen said:

I loved it.  The cemetery scene with the angel head made me laugh out loud.  Becky could do much better than her professor.  He looks like her Dad.

Great episode.

Please delete 

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
Just done
  • Love 2

I think the other reason that this is supposed to be a "big deal" with Becky and the professor is that he isn't just her professor, but also her advisor for her program? So in theory, the issue doesn't end when she completes his course.  Which...switch advisors. Unless it's an incredibly small department, there will be more than one. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
19 minutes ago, MsNewsradio said:

I think the other reason that this is supposed to be a "big deal" with Becky and the professor is that he isn't just her professor, but also her advisor for her program? So in theory, the issue doesn't end when she completes his course.  Which...switch advisors. Unless it's an incredibly small department, there will be more than one. 

IIRC, when she confessed that she had feelings for him she said she needed to get a new advisor, so I'm assuming that's a possibility. They should just wait a few months until the semester is over, then she switches advisors and doesn't take another class with him in the future. It's not that complicated (though I suppose it's possible that there might be required classes that no one else teaches...I had classes in my major that were only taught by one person in the department).

I did like that her classmate's issue with them potentially dating was the power imbalance (and by extension Becky's wellbeing) and not the possibility of Becky getting unfair special treatment for dating the prof.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Yeah cuz destroying part of a headstone is so funny and well as drinking and trying to get dates in a cemetery is so great 🙄 it disrespectful and hope Jackie has consequences. Show is just idiotic great to see how the conners have no morals and are full blown vandals now

Yeah, but Jackie didn't go out of her way to destroy the headstone like Darlene went out of her way to slash the bike tire. Jackie literally put her arm around the headstone and the head just fell off and Jackie freaked out. That's what I found to be really funny. It was a flimsy headstone to begin with. And then their lame attempts to "repair" the headstone using gum (!) was all the funnier.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

Yeah, but Jackie didn't go out of her way to destroy the headstone like Darlene went out of her way to slash the bike tire. Jackie literally put her arm around the headstone and the head just fell off and Jackie freaked out. That's what I found to be really funny. It was a flimsy headstone to begin with. And then their lame attempts to "repair" the headstone using gum (!) was all the funnier.

Yeah, if the head came off that easily, it was either already broken off and stuck back on somehow (maybe someone else had better gum), or it was bound to come off eventually just from the force of gravity.

• Love 10

It is stupid. Is there some pressing reason they need to date right now that we don't know about? Or are they both just idiots? Probably the latter, because the writers of this show go for the lazy and easiest laugh without any regard to the integrity of the characters. 

And since when has Darlene wanted to own a house? First of all, in a depressed area like Lanford there should be plenty of available places to live. Her eldest has already moved out and her youngest is nearing that age. Why does she need a house? Assuming she just thinks it's a smart investment I'm sure there are plenty of other houses. And second of all, the idea that the buyer gives a flying flip about whether or not she's a couple is laughably absurd. A seller just wants the highest offer, period. A seller deciding on an offer based on the morality of the buyer is something that only happens on TV shows. 

• Love 21

I feel like I missed a few episodes. When did Darlene save enough money for a down payment? The agent was shady as shit and opened herself up to a massive fair housing lawsuit. You want the buyer who brings the most appealing "buying package" to the table but gender and relationship status is not part of that package. I'm glad Darlene turned Ben down and it was nice to see her get some perspective (and growth?)

Becky's classmates seemed more concerned about the power imbalance than with the conflict of interest which was a nice touch.

Was Louise mentioned at all? 

• Love 14
35 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I feel like I missed a few episodes. When did Darlene save enough money for a down payment?

Must have done overtime during the Olympics hiatus. 

Who played the real estate agent? This is bugging me but also I am lazy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Deflating the bike tires, though? Not so smart.

I thought that was rather disgusting behavior.  Darlene is outraged because she wasn't seen as a stable owner, but vandalizing someone's tires because they got the property instead of you doesn't exactly scream stability.  I'd say the sellers made the right choice going with the couple.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Who played the real estate agent? This is bugging me but also I am lazy.

Okay, I finally looked; her name is Bayne Gibby and she's got a whole bunch of IMDB credits for things I've never seen but she was in a T-Mobile commercial that I have seen way too many times. (The one where she mishears her friend because of a bad phone connection and thinks a business dinner is a costume party.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 9
  • Love 9

I think that I'm out. I don't laugh and I'm increasingly disgusted by these people. Darlene slashing the tires on the bike was horrible. Imagine buying a new home and shortly after you move in you find the tires on your bike slashed. Not just out of air but two tires slashed with a knife. Sorry but I don't find that funny.

I just feel like the Conners are all written as terrible people. Darlene, Harris, Jackie are all selfish, dysfunctional people and I don't really want to spend a half hour with any of them. Meanwhile the characters who are actually tolerable because they occasionally channel the audience - Louise, Gina, Mark, etc... - don't get nearly enough screen time to offset the "wackiness." Maybe I'll come back when Louise does.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 18

I feel like the Connors’  have been taken into a space ship and replaced by look alike aliens. Darlene’s In management.  Surely by now her training classes have taught her vandalism can get you fired 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It is stupid. Is there some pressing reason they need to date right now that we don't know about? Or are they both just idiots? Probably the latter, because the writers of this show go for the lazy and easiest laugh without any regard to the integrity of the characters. 

And since when has Darlene wanted to own a house? First of all, in a depressed area like Lanford there should be plenty of available places to live. Her eldest has already moved out and her youngest is nearing that age. Why does she need a house? Assuming she just thinks it's a smart investment I'm sure there are plenty of other houses. And second of all, the idea that the buyer gives a flying flip about whether or not she's a couple is laughably absurd. A seller just wants the highest offer, period. A seller deciding on an offer based on the morality of the buyer is something that only happens on TV shows. 

Right, this wasn't a rental where the owners might ostensibly care who gets it (although that would be based on credit score/eviction history, etc. and not on whether it's a Mom, Dad, and 2.5 children), but a seller? Why in the hell would they care who buys a house that they're moving out of??  It reminds of me of those ubiquitous storylines back in the day about motels needing to know that a couple is married before renting them a room, even in a shithole motel in the middle of nowhere, it's not something I've ever heard of in real life, but I can think of 10 TV examples right off the top. 

The Becky storyline was similarly contrived, no one would go to those lengths to put 2 rando college kids off the scent. 

On the positive side, I thought John Goodman looked and sounded better than he has in awhile. I can't put my finger on it, but he looked less frog-faced and sounded less raspy and labored, his lines had a delivery closer to OG John Goodman acting. 

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, marceline said:

I just feel like the Conners are all written as terrible people. Darlene, Harris, Jackie are all selfish, dysfunctional people and I don't really want to spend a half hour with any of them. 

Time for the Becky spinoff  :)

• Love 5
On 2/23/2022 at 10:14 PM, ams1001 said:

Heh, I was thinking the same thing, even before the exchange with Jackie. "Why are you calling him "hon" on the phone in the middle of the thing?"

I wonder how impartial "hon" is going to be when he grades Connie's papers (not to mention, Becky's.)

On 2/24/2022 at 12:39 AM, Bastet said:

"We're not taking no for an answer, we'll pick you up at 8:00"?  Pick her up from where; the cover story didn't provide for it, so why not just "We'll meet you there"?  A minor quibble, I know, but that whole exchange with Becky and the other students was stupid

Maybe the fictional tire store? You're right, especially since Connie seemed surprised that Becky had shown up at the cemetery.

2 points pertaining to Becky's recovery: 1) O'Doul's contains a small amount of alcohol, and, more importantly, tastes like beer, so might not be a great idea for an alcoholic who has already relapsed once, and 2) Connie invited Becky to meet her available male friend for drinks after the gathering; Becky could have said she was a recovering alcoholic and needed to avoid bars.

This whole dating-the-teacher storyline stinks.

With regard to Darlene's childish destruction of property, aided by former police officer Jackie:  the new homeowners probably hadn't had time yet to install a doorbell camera, but it would be so nice if they had.

Also, was this new house a 4-bedroom? (1 for Darlene, 1 for Mark, 1 for Becky and 1 for Beverly Rose?) If not, and Darlene had got the house, Becky and Beverly Rose should have just moved upstairs to Darlene and Mark's rooms. Darlene apparently wasn't counting on a financial contribution from Becky (which Dan could use more, anyway), and there are more potential babysitters at Dan's house since everyone is always hanging out there.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 8

I'm glad that Darlene didn't take the money from Ben.

Becky and teacher really need to just stay away from each other till she's out of his class. But how old is this guy?  He does seem too old for Becky.

Darlene and Jackie slashing the buyer's tires was typical Connor behaviour.

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Becky and teacher really need to just stay away from each other till she's out of his class. But how old is this guy?  He does seem too old for Becky.

You got me curious, so I looked up the age of the actors.  He's 57, she's 47.  A ten year gap there, but nothing inappropriate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

"We're not taking no for an answer, we'll pick you up at 8:00"?  Pick her up from where; the cover story didn't provide for it, so why not just "We'll meet you there"?  A minor quibble, I know, but that whole exchange with Becky and the other students was stupid. 

Maybe a minor quibble, but it sent me over the edge and I just bailed on the episode soon after.  Another example of the terrible writing and cringey moments. 

• Love 2

This episode was incredibly stupid, I’m not even going to get into the buyers only selling to “couples” and the other ridiculous things the realtor was saying.  However, it’s hard to root for Darlene when she’s going around slashing tires.  

I don’t mind Becky dating the professor guy, but why can’t they just wait the few weeks for the semester to be over? They basically just have Dan show up to drink every episode, although I guess he’s added eating trash now.  Is he supposed to be poor again because Darlene has been saving money to buy this house and therefore freeloading?

Also, she has such great credit to get this loan, despite not paying her bills, and is saving for the down payment but couldn’t spring for a couple of counseling or tutoring sessions for Mark.

I wish they’d forgo anymore romance storylines with Darlene.  I hope this Ben storyline isn’t leading back to them being together.  I don’t mind Becky having a boyfriend although it be nice to see her accomplish some goals on her own first and I’m not sure how long she’s supposed to have been sober since Beverly Rose is about 25 now lol and for the life of me I can’t figure out why this professor is willing to risk his job instead of just waiting a month or two.  I was actually expecting the 2 students to tell Becky he tries dating his students every year, I’m kind of surprised they cared as much as they did.  Were they her actual friends or just random students in the class she knows?

• Love 13
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

really??? I would have guessed more closer to 15.

Becky looks young for her age.

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Have they completely retconned the entire story?  I don’t recall the Conners being a bunch of reprobates, every last one. 

This seems to be a hallmark of modern comedy.  The worst the person is, the more humor the writers seem to find in it.  The Goldbergs is another example of this.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

since Beverly Rose is about 25 now

😂😂😂

I don't know how Darlene has such great credit, either. She's had a decent paying job for what, less than a year? Before that she was constantly broke. How was she building this great credit history?

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Thanks for mentioning that, I thought maybe I missed something.  The show was off for a month so this felt even more like it was coming out of the blue, like maybe there were episodes in between that I may have missed.  Why couldn't they ease into that storyline instead of springing it on us?  It seems so arbitrary and force-fit.  People talk about something that important before they do it.  Have a conversation about your goals with someone in the family at least.  Such lazy writing.

As to the seller caring about whether she's a couple, it sounded like that would have been more realistic if it referred to the mortgage lender since that's where the discrimination over "financial stability" has historically taken place.  It's something I'm sure I was a victim of at one time.  Them making it about the seller was just stupid and didn't address the real life discrimination against single women and mortgages. 

The only time I cared who bought a home I was selling was my childhood apartment when my father died 2 years ago because of the emotional attachment I had to it.  I wanted to make sure it went to someone who would do it justice and love it the way my family did.  But that could have been a couple or a single person, as long as they had the money to qualify for a mortgage I really didn't care.  As I turns out I was very happy with who bought it and was sure they would do the place justice as it needed a lot of renovation.

• Love 4

Why do I have a feeling Becky will end up fake dating the other guy and it will turn into a real relationship?  And Professor boyfriend will get jealous and give Becky a bad grade in retaliation?  I hate this storyline.  Those girls were telling you to run, Becky.  Listen!

And even as someone who's not really into the Dan-Louise pairing, I thought it was odd that Dan made no mention of her (that I recall) or we never saw him talking with his new wife on the phone.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, rmontro said:
3 hours ago, greekmom said:

really??? I would have guessed more closer to 15.

Becky looks young for her age.

I think he looks old for his age.  57?  I thought he was more like my age (63).  Although I look young for my age.  I think if people saw him and me together they would think he was older than me!

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Same to the point I thought he was in disguise so they could go out. Something was odd. 

I agree, he looked older than last time we saw him and I couldn't quite figure it out.  Glad it wasn't just me.  Again, thanks for the reality check.

Edited by Yeah No
grammar.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I wish they’d forgo anymore romance storylines with Darlene.  I hope this Ben storyline isn’t leading back to them being together. 

Yeah, I had that thought, but it's been my suspicion all along that the show is keeping Ben around because that's secretly the endgame, and this little plotline was the show flirting with the audience over it again.  

10 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought that was rather disgusting behavior.  Darlene is outraged because she wasn't seen as a stable owner, but vandalizing someone's tires because they got the property instead of you doesn't exactly scream stability.  I'd say the sellers made the right choice going with the couple.

Stuff like this makes me wonder what the writers are going for.  We're supposed to root for Darlene, who has suddenly and magically saved up enough money to buy a house in an admirable, aspirational move, and then they trash any respect for her we may have gotten out of that with bringing her right back down into the gutter.  I don't know why TV shows these days have to make every situation depressing.  Not only did she not "win" by getting the house, but she lowers herself to that kind of juvenile behavior.  Is this supposed to be some attempt to comment on how things really are these days?  Because if so it's not really coming across.  And quite honestly we have enough depressing behavior in real life these days, it would have been nice for this episode not to end on that note.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

😂😂😂

I don't know how Darlene has such great credit, either. She's had a decent paying job for what, less than a year? Before that she was constantly broke. How was she building this great credit history?

Credit Karma?  And with Chime she gets her paycheck two days earlier than everyone else in the office*.

*Of Wellman Plastics, where Darlene is in Management.

• LOL 5
9 hours ago, marceline said:

I think that I'm out. I don't laugh and I'm increasingly disgusted by these people. Darlene slashing the tires on the bike was horrible. Imagine buying a new home and shortly after you move in you find the tires on your bike slash. Not just out of air but two tires slashed with a knife. Sorry but I don't find that funny.

I just feel like the Conners are all written as terrible people. Darlene, Harris, Jackie are all selfish, dysfunctional people and I don't really want to spend a half hour with any of them. Meanwhile the characters who are actually tolerable because they occasionally channel the audience - Louise, Gina, Mark, etc... - don't get nearly enough screen time to offset the "wackiness." Maybe I'll come back when Louise does.

I'm hate watching out of morbid curiosity now.  I want to stay tuned to see how low they end this mess on.  Louise is supposed to return in March.  She wasn't mentioned by Dan or anyone else this episode, as if she doesn't exist.  Gina has not been seen for ages.  For all we know she's joined the French Foreign Legion and is off fighting somewhere.  (Although they don't take women.  Perhaps she is transgender now.)

I wouldn't have been mad at Darlene if she had slashed Real Estate Lady's tires 😁, but the chosen tandem-bicycling couple didn't do anything wrong.  Any progress Darlene had made in maturity and independence in her decision to not accept Ben's co-signing offer was dashed and Darlene is in the gutter again.  Aunt Wacky Jackie is a bad influence to go along with it!

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, rmontro said:

Oh come on, 10 years apart isn't anything between adults.

Yeah.  They're both well into adulthood.  The inappropriateness is the teacher-student relationship that is unethical and could get the dear old professor fired.  Not worth the risk for either of them!

ETA:  Responding to the "Ew" post really; agreeing with rmontro.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree, he looked older than last time we saw him and I couldn't quite figure it out.  Glad it wasn't just me.  Again, thanks for the reality check.

I wonder if it's just the way he was dressed. The first time we saw him he was dressed for class and tonight he was more casual (and wearing a hat, IIRC?)

• Love 2
On 2/25/2022 at 12:37 AM, Yeah No said:

As to the seller caring about whether she's a couple, it sounded like that would have been more realistic if it referred to the mortgage lender since that's where the discrimination over "financial stability" has historically taken place.  It's something I'm sure I was a victim of at one time.  Them making it about the seller was just stupid and didn't address the real life discrimination against single women and mortgages. 

Yes. The bank might care, but it obviously didn't. 

The sellers might care about selling to an unwed mother or gay couple out of prejudice, but since the realtor said that a partnered couple (as opposed to a married couple) was fine, it wasn't a religious objection. If Darlene was pre-approved for the mortgage, why would the sellers care if she was single, as long as they got their price?

Why would Darlene dress poor, and then go on and on to the realtor about how much she loves the house? What kind of strategy is that?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Why would Darlene dress poor, and then go on and on to the realtor about how much she loves the house? What kind of strategy is that?

I think Darlene was just dressed in casual sweats, not realizing how she could be viewed.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, Brn2bwild said:

I think Darlene was just dressed in casual sweats, not realizing how she could be viewed.

She told Harris she has dressed like a poor person so the realtor wouldn't think she was rich. In a sellers's market that makes no sense, but even if it did, a trying-to-appear-poor strategy means you would then feign only mild interest in the house, not express an over-the-top-desire to acquire it.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7
On 2/24/2022 at 8:40 AM, Rocknrollzombie said:

Yeah cuz destroying part of a headstone is so funny and well as drinking and trying to get dates in a cemetery is so great 🙄 it disrespectful and hope Jackie has consequences. Show is just idiotic great to see how the conners have no morals and are full blown vandals now

I mean, she didn't have to toss it into the bushes, of course, but clearly the headstone was already broken and she accidentally knocked it off; that's clumsiness, not vandalism. And I assume the town sanctioned the gathering in the cemetery (was there a printed sign?); it's not like Becky and Jackie planned it.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

And even as someone who's not really into the Dan-Louise pairing, I thought it was odd that Dan made no mention of her (that I recall) or we never saw him talking with his new wife on the phone.

She was supposed to be in 4x11's episode and I assumed it was going to be a phone call to Dan at that time so I don't know what happened to that. 

19 hours ago, marceline said:

Louise will be back next week 4x14's episode (March 2nd) as Katey is now fully recovered from her car accident. I can't wait! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The inappropriateness is the teacher-student relationship that is unethical

And the one person who pointed that out (her classmate) was just dismissed as an obstacle Becky had to undergo this whole charade to throw off track.  How in the world is no one else in Becky's life pointing out the tremendous power imbalance in this relationship, or even asking her why she doesn't simply wait until she's finished the class?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And the one person who pointed that out (her classmate) was just dismissed as an obstacle Becky had to undergo this whole charade to throw off track.  How in the world is no one else in Becky's life pointing out the tremendous power imbalance in this relationship, or even asking her why she doesn't simply wait until she's finished the class?

Another thing, now that the lovebirds have been seen in public by those nasty suspicious minds (LOL), if and when they do embark on a public relationship, how are those friends going to believe that nothing was going on back when they rode in the car together and Becky attended the fake date and cemetery party?

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 7
On 2/23/2022 at 9:40 PM, Annber03 said:

Deflating the bike tires, though? Not so smart. Same with Jackie goofing about with that statue at the cemetery. She's more than old enough to know better than to touch others' stuff like that. 

Remember when Jackie was a cop? And then an ex-cop who would smugly cite penal codes for infractions she witnessed? Before the WackyJackie transformation in the original?  Now she's vandalized houses with her niece AND her grand-niece. Which is supposed to make us... laugh?

On 2/24/2022 at 12:26 PM, iMonrey said:

I sold a house last years as an executor of an estate. The housing market then, as now, is a seller's market. But I didn't even know the buyer's name until we were passing papers, and no other real info about her except the amount she was pre-approved for. Maybe if I'd been curious I could have found out? I can see wanting a house to go to a family with young kids or to a retired couple if it's a certain kind of neighborhood, but I wasn't aware single white women face discrimination from owners.   What's the rationale?  That they're going to steal the neighborhood's husbands?

At any rate, that looked like a great place and it adds to the cognitive dissonance, because an empty place along the lines of the Conner house might have been within reach, but this appeared to be a major upgrade. And even if Becky moved with her and paid rent, how much rent could she realistically pay?

The original had Jackie living in a cute little apartment. Nothing modern and impressive, not spacious, but realistic for a mid-west working class single woman who was good with money and wasn't thinking it would be her forever home. Remember the Jackie who was good with money and always had it to lend to Roseanne and invest in her own advancement (trucking school?).  Unlike so many sitcoms, they NAILED how and where their characters lived. Now Darlene is going to move to Stepford?

• Love 7