Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Sex, Lies and House-Hunting

Pallas
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, kassa said:

The original had Jackie living in a cute little apartment.

And then after that the original had her living in a cute little house.  But yes, good point.  As neurotic as Jackie could be, she was an independent woman.  Dan's friend (was it Ziggy?) screwed him over on a house they renovated together but Ziggy skipped town and left Dan holding the bag.  Bev was chiding Dan for it which led to Dan telling her off (quite strongly) that he had found a buyer (Jackie), and the joke was that Jackie planned to hit up Bev for the down payment.  But single woman Jackie was still able to buy a house.  And it was realistic, unlike the nonsense they're currently writing.  

Are big community parties outdoors in wintertime (or any time) at cemeteries, a thing?  If a city wants to throw an outdoor singles party, are there no city parks that could have served as the venue instead?  How about a party room at a community centre?  Party room at the local arena?  I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, but I thought that was very disrespectful.  Two grown women fiddling around like fools with the broken piece off a headstone.  Ugh.  

The premise of this episode was good, imo.  Darlene wanting to buy a house and Becky dating her teacher.  But the ridiculous writing for both stories really ruined it for me.  I've never heard of a seller having a preference as to the marital status of a buyer.  Or a preference for anything to do with the buyer.  Slashing the bicycle tires of the couple who got the house?  Wow.  And if Becky and her teacher like each other, I'm okay with that (but not dating while he's her teacher).  He seems stable (from what we know of him so far, which isn't much) and very nice, and seems to really like her.  But it's been presented so stupidly.  And I don't think it's that insignificant that Becky said she lived there and her classmates said they'd pick her up at 8.  Yes - where exactly are they picking her up?  At her make believe house in the town she doesn't live in?  I was actually bugged at that to the point where it affected my enjoyment.  I wouldn't even call that lazy writing.  I wouldn't even call it sloppy.  I don't know what it was.  How did no one catch that?  Are they all asleep or half asleep in that writer's room?  What about the director?  The crew?  The actors?  No one?  They seriously need to think about cleaning things up, because this is far from the first time it's happened.  I know I certainly expect much better from an established network show.  

I always like Dan and this ep was no different.  He gets the lines and delivers them so well.  He has not lost his touch.  I wonder if they're going to let Dan and Louise live happily ever after or mess with them.  Katey Sagal is a very busy, sought after actress (for good reason), so if they're going to be happy Louise will be touring a lot.  If they decide to mess, I could see Louise secretly maintaining a place (did she sell her condo?  I don't remember).  Just for somewhere she can go when she needs a break from the Conner clan (who wouldn't??).  

I loved that Darlene turned down Ben's offer to co-sign the loan.  Good for her.  That was big progress for her.  

I don't know why anyone would think Darlene doesn't need more bedrooms just because Harris moved out and Mark's a teenager.  If they turn out to be like their mom and their aunt, they will be living with Darlene in 30 years 😂.  With their kids 😂 😂.  Darlene needs those bedrooms!

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I always like Dan and this ep was no different.  He gets the lines and delivers them so well.  He has not lost his touch.  I wonder if they're going to let Dan and Louise live happily ever after or mess with them.  Katey Sagal is a very busy, sought after actress (for good reason), so if they're going to be happy Louise will be touring a lot.  If they decide to mess, I could see Louise secretly maintaining a place (did she sell her condo?  I don't remember).  Just for somewhere she can go when she needs a break from the Conner clan (who wouldn't??).

I really don't think the writers will mess with Dan & Louise at least not yet as they haven't even been married that long.. and as for Katey at the moment she's not that busy as she is just now getting back to normal after her car accident she's been recovering from since October. Not only that, but the writers took so long to get them together romantically why mess with them so early in their marriage? it would make no sense. I believe Louise did sell her condo. Also I read an article where the writers have stated they will have Dan & Louise enjoy being married. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3

The only thing I've got is a fanwank that it is a Lanford tradition to tell someone they'll pick you up at the location where the conversation took place.  So, Becky would go about her business of fooling everyone that she's at the tire store and not cavorting with Matt Glen, and return to the spot where the girls busted the duo.

Kind of like in TV and movies where people say, "I'll pick you up in the morning" and I'm thinking, "OK, so what time?".

• Love 2

I think I'll take a break until that whole Becky debacle is over/resolved. It's so stupid. She has worked so hard to get where she is right now just to risk it for a relationship with uncertain future? Why can't she wait? Why can't the writers come up with a better plot for her. I don't want to see the fallout when they get busted for good or the sugar-coating of what is a deeply problematic set-up.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I think I'll take a break until that whole Becky debacle is over/resolved. It's so stupid. She has worked so hard to get where she is right now just to risk it for a relationship with uncertain future? Why can't she wait? Why can't the writers come up with a better plot for her. I don't want to see the fallout when they get busted for good or the sugar-coating of what is a deeply problematic set-up.

First it was the sober sex hookup and now this.  Are they telling us Becky has to get her groove on before she gets too old or something?  LOL

11 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Why wouldn't Louise just rent her condo out to Darlene for her and Mark so not having to spend time trying to sell property in a poor town like lanford is beyond me. 

I don't know, but maybe she didn't think of it? 🤷‍♀️ Or maybe she didn't consider Darlene ever moving out not that she shouldn't. It's a good question. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Delphi said:

Why wouldn't Louise just rent her condo out to Darlene for her and Mark so not having to spend time trying to sell property in a poor town like lanford is beyond me. 

It never made sense that Dan didn't move in with Louise. I understand wanting a "new place together" but practically speaking, in real life he'd move in with her temporarily, relieve the congestion at the Connor house, encourage Darlene and Becky to get their acts together, then decide to move back in and renovate as needed or find a new forever place together.  

Do we even know where Jackie lives now? Does she still have the house, or did Andy take it with him?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

And then after that the original had her living in a cute little house.  But yes, good point.  As neurotic as Jackie could be, she was an independent woman.  Dan's friend (was it Ziggy?) screwed him over on a house they renovated together but Ziggy skipped town and left Dan holding the bag.  

That wasn't Ziggy it was Roger, played by the inimitable Tim Curry.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Did anyone else notice Jack's Bistro where Becky and the professor went? Lol 

Anyway, so they can date as long as she's not his student? It doesn't matter if she's just a student at the school in general? Idk how that works and I wasn't paying too much attention to some of the episodes. And I thought the other girls should just mind their own business. They were a bit much. Like you better prove that you're single, or else! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Did anyone else notice Jack's Bistro where Becky and the professor went? Lol 

Anyway, so they can date as long as she's not his student? It doesn't matter if she's just a student at the school in general? Idk how that works and I wasn't paying too much attention to some of the episodes. And I thought the other girls should just mind their own business. They were a bit much. Like you better prove that you're single, or else! 

Unfortunately Becky didn't tell the college girls that she is a recovering alcoholic and does not go to bars, that she's fine being a single mom or co-parenting of her daughter and that she's not interested in dating anyone, let alone the Prof, and really sell it and tell them to mind their own business.

That said, I still don't understand the mad rush to consummate their newfound crush so soon.  A man's career and reputation is at stake!  Not a good look for Becky either!

• Love 11
On 2/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, Dreamboat Annie said:

And I don't think it's that insignificant that Becky said she lived there and her classmates said they'd pick her up at 8.  Yes - where exactly are they picking her up?  At her make believe house in the town she doesn't live in?

The teacher said he lived there. Becky was there to get a tire. So they could have planned to pick Becky up at her home in Lanford, but clearly didn't since they were pleasantly surprised to see she had come. Maybe they have each other's contact info and later agreed to meet there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2022 at 12:26 PM, iMonrey said:

It is stupid. Is there some pressing reason they need to date right now that we don't know about? Or are they both just idiots? Probably the latter, because the writers of this show go for the lazy and easiest laugh without any regard to the integrity of the characters. 

And since when has Darlene wanted to own a house? First of all, in a depressed area like Lanford there should be plenty of available places to live. Her eldest has already moved out and her youngest is nearing that age. Why does she need a house? Assuming she just thinks it's a smart investment I'm sure there are plenty of other houses. And second of all, the idea that the buyer gives a flying flip about whether or not she's a couple is laughably absurd. A seller just wants the highest offer, period. A seller deciding on an offer based on the morality of the buyer is something that only happens on TV shows. 

I’d sell my house to a baboon for the right price. Actually Bonus points if the new owners will annoy my neighbors!! 

Edited by chediavolo
Spell
  • LOL 5
On 2/25/2022 at 2:20 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

Dr Huxtable did the dressing down for a major purchase way better than what Darlene just tried to do. 

I want to puke when I hear mention of  Cosby. That show had been ruined by the actions of that “man”. 🤢

• Love 4

You know, it says a lot that I didn't even bother to even LOOK at the posts here, let alone post myself, until four days after this episode originally aired. I love reading everyone's thoughts here and the community we have here, but at this point, I feel like we are all basically repeating ourselves each week about how stupid or selfish everyone on this show is...to the point where even funny moment like the part of the headstone falling off, or a genuinely great emotional moment like Darlene saying she needed to buy a house without someone like Ben co-signing with her (which was immediately undercut by her slashing those bike tires, which proves my earlier point), become easy to forget until someone else points them out!

Combined with the over the top poverty jokes...I'm still watching, but I'm barely hanging on, and my will to post is certainly in danger now. Damn this show for that.

I'm genuinely curious if this show gets another season now. It's still getting a good amount of promotion, so there must be SOME substantial fan base outside of this forum, but at some point, I feel like it has to be said: Is it really worth it at this point, when all these characters are being trashed so badly? 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

I found myself wondering two things:

1. It seems Darlene is getting a good salary. Is she helping her dad with the mortgage, since she's benefitting from living at the house? I mean, above and beyond rent. When my parents were getting older and less capable, and wanted to move from the country into town, I lent them some money towards buying their new house (since sale of the country house wouldn't cover it). I helped them out financially regardless of the fact I wasn't benefitting from the transaction. It was just helping my parents. I'm not talking about paying off your parents' mortgage when they are doing OK paying it themselves, but Dan is always right on the edge with his. Wouldn't she try to help a bit more?

2. Has Becky been sober a whole year yet? I thought one of the tenets of AA was not starting a new relationship until you'd given yourself a year to heal your own spirit.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

It seemed odd to me that they were at the Lanford cemetery, where Roseanne is supposedly buried, but neither Jackie nor Becky says anything about taking a few seconds to stop at her grave.

Was it established that they were at the Lanford cemetery, since the girls who invited Becky lived in--whatever town that was.  (is it weird that they encouraged her to come? Wasn't part of the reason of having this soiree at a cemetery was to encourage a nightlife tradition for the "young people" in the community? Becky definitely looks at least 10 years younger IMO but not typical-college-student young, and she could have said "I have a daughter at home I need to get back to".  I am way overthinking this). I really only half pay attention to this show so the Lanford part could have been mentioned without me picking up on it. 

"I'll pick you up at x time" without there being an established residence/address seems to be a trope in TV shows; I know I've heard it enough times to be maddened by it. 

As soon as the real estate agent told Darlene about the 'couple' preference, I immediately knew she'd get Ben involved. I was only surprised when Darlene turned down his offer to co-sign.  I know I'm only repeating what has been mentioned numerous times, but the tire-slashing was such a shitty thing to do, especially after the "I need to start acting like an adult" speech.  Besides, lots of people have security cameras these days. She & Jackie were in no hurry, though, standing outside and yakking like ha ha, isn't this funny. 

On 2/26/2022 at 4:05 AM, Delphi said:

Great idea. That makes WAY too much sense for this show I guess. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Starchild said:

I found myself wondering two things:

1. It seems Darlene is getting a good salary. Is she helping her dad with the mortgage, since she's benefitting from living at the house? I mean, above and beyond rent. When my parents were getting older and less capable, and wanted to move from the country into town, I lent them some money towards buying their new house (since sale of the country house wouldn't cover it). I helped them out financially regardless of the fact I wasn't benefitting from the transaction. It was just helping my parents. I'm not talking about paying off your parents' mortgage when they are doing OK paying it themselves, but Dan is always right on the edge with his. Wouldn't she try to help a bit more?

2. Has Becky been sober a whole year yet? I thought one of the tenets of AA was not starting a new relationship until you'd given yourself a year to heal your own spirit.

1.  Darlene helping Dan with the mortgage has not been mentioned, but if she is, Dan's probably spending all her share of the money on beer.

2.  No she has not been sober for 12 months.  She's already had the sober sex with the rando guy who the show told us was a friend from high school.  Now this.  It is one of the tenants of AA, yes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lostsock said:

As soon as the real estate agent told Darlene about the 'couple' preference, I immediately knew she'd get Ben involved. I was only surprised when Darlene turned down his offer to co-sign.  I know I'm only repeating what has been mentioned numerous times, but the tire-slashing was such a shitty thing to do, especially after the "I need to start acting like an adult" speech.  Besides, lots of people have security cameras these days. She & Jackie were in no hurry, though, standing outside and yakking like ha ha, isn't this

But she''s ' totally responsible enuffe to buy a house, right?

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 5

This has been roiling round my brain and I finally realized what it was:  if Darlene had enough money to put a down payment o a house,WHY THE FUCK COULDN'T SHE HELP DAN OUT?  and if his pride was to much, why didn't go t the bank and settle ne of his many  mortgages?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/24/2022 at 9:10 AM, MsNewsradio said:

I think the other reason that this is supposed to be a "big deal" with Becky and the professor is that he isn't just her professor, but also her advisor for her program? So in theory, the issue doesn't end when she completes his course.  Which...switch advisors. Unless it's an incredibly small department, there will be more than one. 

Is Becky doing some kind of graduate program or something? Because, and maybe this is because I was in University decades ago (and in a different country) but every undergrad student having an advisor who is a professor seems weird. Unless Lanford U is tiny how does the faculty have the time for that?

On 2/25/2022 at 3:42 PM, kassa said:

I sold a house last years as an executor of an estate. The housing market then, as now, is a seller's market. But I didn't even know the buyer's name until we were passing papers, and no other real info about her except the amount she was pre-approved for. 

Real estate in Canada has been crazy the last little while and we had some friends who moved to Vancouver (where the market is even crazier) a few years ago and they told us stories about buyer basically writing letters to the seller with their offer explaining why they should be considered. But would Lanford be anything close to like that.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, CrystalBlue said:

2.  No she has not been sober for 12 months.  She's already had the sober sex with the rando guy who the show told us was a friend from high school.  Now this.  It is one of the tenants of AA, yes.

Well she went to rehab when Beverly Rose was a baby didn't she. And look how much older the kid has gotten.

• Useful 1