Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Radio Harry

jewel21
  • Start Topic

I enjoyed last night's episode much more than last week's. They kept the number of side stories manageable, and although I knew something about the baby's birth would cause Harry to realize that humanity might not be as bad as he thought, his reaction to the birth still hit me in the feels. As did D'Arcy's story last night. Her parents are absolutely awful, and good for her for walking away, although I really want her to not reject the baseball player. Also, interesting twist on Liv's thought that she might have been abducted. Is it possible it will lead her to Linda Hamilton and she'll get all the innocent people out of it...?

And a couple of random observations: One, I feel like I can see the actress who plays Sahar growing up from episode to episode; she looked so much more mature last night. Two, I LOVE the music this season. Last season was good, but they have really upped their game and I need to look up the song list for each episode. 

• Love 9

D’Arcy’s parents were insufferable! Not only would they barely let her get a word in while they tried to dictate what she should do with her life but they were talking about her like she wasn’t even there. Explains a lot about her.

Funniest part of this episode was when Sahar was demonstrating what she’d do to Harry.

Will the General ever figure out that they grabbed the wrong doctor?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

D’Arcy’s parents were insufferable! Not only would they barely let her get a word in while they tried to dictate what she should do with her life but they were talking about her like she wasn’t even there. Explains a lot about her.

3 hours ago, kirinan said:

As did D'Arcy's story last night. Her parents are absolutely awful, and good for her for walking away, although I really want her to not reject the baseball player. Also, interesting twist on Liv's thought that she might have been abducted. Is it possible it will lead her to Linda Hamilton and she'll get all the innocent people out of it...?

Are D'Arcy's parents really that bad, it takes special parents (financially and emotionally) that can provide a child the lifestyle that would allow that child to become a top Olympic Athlete. They have probably seen a D'Arcy with a drive and a passion to be the best there ever was and now they are left with a D'Arcy that doesn't seem to care about anything after her dream died. I think I would also push D'Arcy to place that same passion she had for skiing into the other aspects of her life.

Liv going to a psychiatrist about thinking she might have been abducted by aliens should be enough to get the government guys attention, especially since she is from Patience, Colorado. Some of the people they had in cages have been there for over 65 years.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I don't understand the point of the Patience  Vs. Other town storyline.

It is just a way to give all the minor (side) characters a major story arc. I think it is distracting from the overall quality of the show since the show seeming to be lacking in focus and a main plot.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Are D'Arcy's parents really that bad, it takes special parents (financially and emotionally) that can provide a child the lifestyle that would allow that child to become a top Olympic Athlete. They have probably seen a D'Arcy with a drive and a passion to be the best there ever was and now they are left with a D'Arcy that doesn't seem to care about anything after her dream died. I think I would also push D'Arcy to place that same passion she had for skiing into the other aspects of her life.

There's a *lot* we don't know about D'Arcy's parents and their relationship with D'Arcy. What we do know is that they were horrible this episode. They talked to her in the third person, as if she wasn't there. When they addressed her directly, it was in a majorly condescending tone, as if a better job and a boyfriend is all she needed to just be a better D'Arcy. Then they perkily brought up how cute and driven she used to be. None of these things are helpful for someone with depression. That said, there could be deep seated issues between her and her parents that started well before her accident. It's possible they were the kind of parents who consider their child's successes/failures as their own and treated her that way. It's possible that she was emotionally pushed by them past enjoying the sport at which she excelled. It's possible that, after the accident, they didn't help her get the emotional/mental health help she needed to cope with a traumatic accident that ended her hopes and dreams. It's possible that, in the absence of that kind of support and help, she lost any kind of passion and sank into the alcoholic depression we see today. We will likely find out more as the show progresses.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 14

I wished Darcy didn't ghost the baseball player. She can't blame her parents for that. I get that she was upset, but she was rude to him, and that's on her. She didn't even call to cancel.

I hate the whole "alien lock up" story, but if they eventually do capture Harry, that might be interesting enough to redeem it.

The sheriff's dating story is not working for me. I wanted to know more about him, but the date was bad. I didn't like the woman he was out with, but I didn't like him, either. Maybe he and Darcy ought to date each other.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

What was the song playing while Darcy was outside the diner? It sounded like Belle & Sebastian. 

Also nice to see another cast member from People of Earth! 

I found this list! (And yes, it was Belle & Sebastian, according to it.) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, kirinan said:

Two, I LOVE the music this season. Last season was good, but they have really upped their game and I need to look up the song list for each episode. 

The soundtrack for this series is awesome. I've learned of so many new-to-me bands and groups!

Funny moments for me: The whole papaya snowcone exchange; Judy's Go Skank sign and cheer; Manpons and Liv's reaction to it. There were some more but I can't remember without a rewatch.

Woof, D'Arcy's parents! They were simultaneously up in her business and treating her as if she were a doll, not a person. No wonder she's still rebelling.

I loved the scenery when the group went camping. Harry and the Bison was a neat moment.

AnimeMania, thank you for posting the stills in the episode threads, it adds to the experience for me! (And for Snowpiercer, too)

• Love 2

I completely missed why Harry appeared to the kids as alien, with alien's voice, and then at some random point in the scene, we see him as Harry, with Harry's quivering voice.  I was pleased that the girl was so wrong about the radio bomb.  Is that the first major plot point about which she was so mistaken?

I have no clue about the significance about the encounter/dream with the white bison.  Spock would have been proud of the mind-meld, though.

The prestige water reminded me of the famous "Pluto" water in French Lick, IN.  There was a famous resort there which was built on springs which were touted as restorative. 

How is it that the Feds picked up the weaker signal at the end of the ep and failed to see and trace the more powerful and direct signal to the mountain transmitter?  Any chance the number was 212-867-5309?  

So now we are to watch Harry get caught, eventually, for the time shifting he did with the local gendarmes.  

It was great to see Octo again.  I enjoyed his youthful/naive glee.  Has he/it an earth name?

What was the bimbette doing by writing her phone number on her hand?  Was/is that a thing that is done in striking up new relationships?  I totally remember the writing of numbers on the other's hand.

• LOL 2
31 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I completely missed why Harry appeared to the kids as alien, with alien's voice, and then at some random point in the scene, we see him as Harry, with Harry's quivering voice.

Max sees him in his alien form and has no idea what he looks like as a human (due to one in a million genetics or something, it goes all the way back to the first episode) but Sahar doesn't have this ability so she only sees him as Harry.

34 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

What was the bimbette doing by writing her phone number on her hand?

Judy was demonstrating that in a battle of wits between her and a bag of sand, the bag of sand would win decisively.

5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wished Darcy didn't ghost the baseball player. She can't blame her parents for that. I get that she was upset, but she was rude to him, and that's on her. She didn't even call to cancel.

Since the town is only one block wide (this time we visited the other side of Roberts St across from the "diner" which is actually a telephone exchange) I'm sure she'll run into him soon enough.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I thought it was actually very interesting that Harry said he had to kill all the humans to save the bison. I had assumed the motive for killing people was so his species could use the planet. But actually he's there to stop the humans from destroying the planet so the planet can survive. It's an interesting change of perspective on what he's doing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit although Sahar is becoming one-note to me. We get it, she's a badass, but enough already with the snark.

I, too, am not enjoying Linda Hamilton's general and her approach to finding aliens.  Ugh. 

Harry always seems to find something more to care about when he visits the Reservation. 

As for D'Arcy's parents, I had some sympathy for them. It's clear they love D'Arcy, they just don't know what she needs from them right now. They were reminiscing, the way parents do, about things they found charming about her when she was young.  I get that she doesn't like to be reminded of who she used to be, when she was driving herself to be an Olympic champion, but I didn't enjoy the scene with the tablecloth pulling. I'm not saying her parents are great, but I don't think they're monsters. Yet. 

We found out a bit more about the sheriff due to his date.  So there's that. 

And I am always glad to hear from the octopus (Nathan Fillion). 

• Love 9

OMG, another Law & Order reference.  Harry loves that show 😆

The Mayor eating a Lunchable at his desk amused me, I don't know why.

I like the new guy that's interested in D'Arcy.  She bugs me at times (like when she kept going on and on to Mayor Max's Dad about their kiss), but I hope the baseball player/archaeologist is a nice guy and she starts something with him.  He seemed sweet and I enjoyed their banter, and he even made sure to be holding a single red rose while waiting for her, aw!  And Liv is an awesome friend, yes.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It is just a way to give all the minor (side) characters a major story arc. I think it is distracting from the overall quality of the show since the show seeming to be lacking in focus and a main plot.

Agreed. I understand they are trying to broaden the overall show with different stories but I'm simply not interested in D'Arcy, or the Mayor and his wife, except as they relate to Harry. All these side stories that have nothing to do with Harry bore me. I love Alan Tudyk and I'm intrigued by the whole thing with Linda Hamilton. But the mundane subplots about the personal lives of the townsfolk just seem atonal to the alien stuff. It's like there's two or three different kinds of shows going on in the same hour.

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. I understand they are trying to broaden the overall show with different stories but I'm simply not interested in D'Arcy, or the Mayor and his wife, except as they relate to Harry. All these side stories that have nothing to do with Harry bore me. I love Alan Tudyk and I'm intrigued by the whole thing with Linda Hamilton. But the mundane subplots about the personal lives of the townsfolk just seem atonal to the alien stuff. It's like there's two or three different kinds of shows going on in the same hour.

It's kind of lazy writing for the writers, since the actors know/are deeply connected with their characters, the writers give the actors some leeway to act the way they feel the characters would act and then they put it into the show. If you like the side characters, you should find the show to be fine. If you are here for the  story (me), you will feel that the show is meandering. The main plot suffers since it doesn't get much advancement each episode.

Also. D'Arcy's parents were right about how D'Arcy was dressed, who wears a jacket with long fringe hanging off the arms when eating. How could you keep the fringe out of your food and from knocking things over on the table. Even D'Arcy's "skank" friend knew how she should dress when in a fancy restaurant, she was looking amazing and was well behaved.

People seem to think that if they are not acting 100% themselves,  100% of the time, everywhere, they are living a lie. There is nothing wrong with "code switching", not everybody has the "privilege" to be themselves all of the time.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Even D'Arcy's "skank" friend knew how she should dress when in a fancy restaurant, she was looking amazing and was well behaved.

I thought that was a completely new woman because Judy, D'Arcy's friend, has blonde hair, right?

The episode was better than last week's but I still prefer Season 1 to this season, at least so far. I agree with others who think the story is meandering too much and there is too much on the secondary characters. And yes Sahar does look much more mature. Always a problem when casting child actors, they grow up during the hiatus.

• Love 4
On 2/17/2022 at 10:02 AM, AnimeMania said:

Special parents? Financially, yeah, most likely. Emotionally? Not necessarily. It really depends on whether they were actually being supportive or more pushy/controlling, the kind who can push a kid straight into burnout because it’s really all about them rather than their kid. The way they were trying to steamroll right over her at dinner says to me they’re the controlling type. Furthermore, since D’Arcy is an adult, they have zero right to push her or dictate to her what to do with her life. Encouraging her to find another passion (and most importantly, listening to her and shutting the hell up and backing off if she doesn’t want that from them) would be appropriate. But what they were doing was treating her like she was still a kid and not even giving her a chance to speak up.

Do I have a dirty lens? Oh hell yes, I do. My mother was the most pushy, controlling person I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter and it made me resent the living hell out of her. (I especially resented when she’d push and push me to do something—and often it was something I would have decided to do in my own time, but she didn’t have the patience to let me decide for myself—and then take all the credit: “She never would have done that if I hadn’t pushed her.”) I was on the pre-med track but fortunately for me, I fell in love with coding in college and had a 41-year career as a software engineer. It took 20+ years before I ever even realized that becoming a doctor wasn’t really what I had wanted (frankly, I’d have hated med school), it was what she wanted.

Edited by CarpeFelis
typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Any chance the number was 212-867-5309?  

What was the bimbette doing by writing her phone number on her hand?  Was/is that a thing that is done in striking up new relationships?  I totally remember the writing of numbers on the other's hand.

ROTFL—maybe there’s an alien named Jenny at the other end.

She was either drunk or it was meant to show how dumb she is.

• Love 5

Decent episode, funnier than the last one. Harry being so arrogant against the human race makes me laugh, and the little girl manages to one-up him a verbal battle. Bravo. 

Man the sheriff has some issues, doesn't he? I totally was NOT expecting that date to shut down like that. Is that supposed to be a jab at the New York angry attitude stereotype? I don't think his date asked anything out of line, but he got all bent.

Liking Liv more and more, getting some good character development and not just comic relief from her.

Poor Darcy, it's gotta be hard having success early and having that end before the career got realized.  Overbearing parents, yep, I think a lot of us have come from there. Why didn't she go speak to the young man with the rose tho? Perfect opportunity to salvage a sucky night.

And totally agree with @kiranan, the music's been spot on, at least IMO it was for this epi. Some good stuff I've never heard before. 

Eh the town competition - not getting that storyline at all. Small quaint little towns are loved for being just that, and that pretentious other mayor was just way too annoying.

Regarding developing less major characters - it reminds me of Northern Exposure, you'd typically have one major storyline and one more minor one with the more background characters. Which I'm absolutely fine with, it adds more color and less reliance on Harry/Asta to carry the show so much. What a weird tech, using flowers to help power/amplify the radio.

Loved the bison, I'm sure it was digital but man a nice touching moment there tween it and Harry. I'm a sucker for animal stories tho, so there's that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

Loved the bison, I'm sure it was digital but man a nice touching moment there tween it and Harry. I'm a sucker for animal stories tho, so there's that. 

It reminded me of American Gods, they had the main character (Native American) touch a spirit Bison quite a few times.

• Love 1

I live in a small town, and have lived in other ones. We never had rivalries with the neighboring towns. We generally see them as "sister cities" and pool resources to accomplish things we don't have enough money to do alone with a small tax base. I think the town rivalry is an idea made up by city people based on a bizarre stereotype of "hicks". 

It was funnier on Parks and Rec because they overlayed it with a class element (snooty Eagleton vs regular folk Pawnee). I don't mind it as much here as I might mind other tropes shows fall back on, because they are not glorifying the mayor's participation in it, and are actually using it to show his flaws. But I do think it's beneath the usual standards this show has, and I wish they'd found a better story.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5

Small-town rivalries where I live generally involve high school sports.  The consensus seems to be that everyone benefits from tourism -- the towns are close enough together that tourists can patronize a wide variety of restaurants and other tourist services, but there is a fierce pride in sporting events, particularly football.

I really felt for D'Arcy with her parents.  I mean, when she and Liv showed up at that fancy restaurant, her father ushered both her mother and Liv in, and left D'Arcy to make her own way to the table.  If you're going to be polite/sexist to the women, be polite/sexist to all of them. And as we have seen recently in the Olympics, parents and coaches pushing children to be elite athletes can seriously backfire, especially when the child does not perform as expected, or has a career-changing injury.  It was clear that D'Arcy's parents were not hearing what D'Arcy was saying, and haven't done so for a very long time, if ever.  Sometimes when your child is "just" a bartender and Snow Patrol, your child is actually happy.  Until you tear her down and make her feel like shit for her perfectly valid choices.  I do wish D'Arcy hadn't stood up the baseball player, though.  She let her parents get to her, and that makes me sad.  She is confident and capable, and it would be nice if she had some familial support.  

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I really felt for D'Arcy with her parents.  I mean, when she and Liv showed up at that fancy restaurant, her father ushered both her mother and Liv in, and left D'Arcy to make her own way to the table.  If you're going to be polite/sexist to the women, be polite/sexist to all of them.

I wonder if that was a deliberate snub to show his disapproval of her outfit, or whether he and her mother just think of D’Arcy as an extension of themselves (or a thing they own) that doesn’t register as a human being deserving of politeness. Can’t just be treating others differently than family, or he’d have done the same to her mother.

41 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It was clear that D'Arcy's parents were not hearing what D'Arcy was saying, and haven't done so for a very long time, if ever.  Sometimes when your child is "just" a bartender and Snow Patrol, your child is actually happy.  Until you tear her down and make her feel like shit for her perfectly valid choices.  I do wish D'Arcy hadn't stood up the baseball player, though.  She let her parents get to her, and that makes me sad.  She is confident and capable, and it would be nice if she had some familial support.  

Asta and Liv have said at some point that D’Arcy has always been a free spirit who dares to do things they wouldn’t. Until the parents showed up, I assumed that was just her personality, like she’s wired that way. But after seeing how her parents treat her, I think it’s mostly rebellion—even now as an adult. I can imagine her as a kid being completely stifled around her parents and raising hell whenever they weren’t around. Kinda wish I’d been more like her as a kid.

• Love 2

Is it just me or was that a really dumb move by Astra? 50 years is a really long time. Harry learned to love one human in like a few months (I don't think that much time has passed on the show), arguably two. In 50 years he probably has hundreds of people he loves and wants to protect.

Maybe she doesn't get to see that side of him as much as we do, but still she should learn to extrapolate a little.

Also as an aside, Harry is not wrong. It would be a lot better for other life on this planet if humans were all killed. Since there is other intelligent life in the galaxy and even on this planet, it doesn't seem like that much of a loss, tbh.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 2/18/2022 at 8:24 AM, possibilities said:

I thought it was actually very interesting that Harry said he had to kill all the humans to save the bison. I had assumed the motive for killing people was so his species could use the planet. But actually he's there to stop the humans from destroying the planet so the planet can survive.

I think they already made that pretty clear last season. The octopy asked for help from their cousins. It's not about conquering the planet it's about saving it.

I guess the aliens could have tried a diplomatic approach first, but knowing us humans, they probably had the right idea, that only killing us all would work.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, AnimeMania said:

Even D'Arcy's "skank" friend knew how she should dress when in a fancy restaurant, she was looking amazing and was well behaved.

Since when is Deputy Liv a skank?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I loved the 1st season because it was both kinda politically correct but at the same time ironic towards political correctness. Now it's like an exemplary woke and serious PC show with all kind of minorities with unfunny jokes and unnecessary woke side plots which are so artificial it's almost cringeworthy. I loved the show a year ago but now I wish they'd cancel it after the 1st season. It's just became unwatchable 😭

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 2

I wonder if it would be funny if they did a little animation 10 to 20 minutes using the "Do's and Don'ts" manual illustrations for Harry Alien that they show in the beginning of each episode. It could start like every episode starts with the illustration and it just keeps going to next illustration and so on. At the end of the animation we find out that some character has found the Harry Alien "How to be an Earthling" manual and has been flipping through the book.

• LOL 1
On 2/19/2022 at 6:36 PM, AnimeMania said:

Her "skank" friend that was on a date with the Sheriff, she looked amazing and she was well behaved. I didn't really like what Deputy Liv was wearing.

That was not Judy (aka"the skank") on a date with the Sheriff, as has been mentioned. That was a completely different person/actress. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 2/19/2022 at 9:07 PM, Zonk said:
On 2/18/2022 at 2:24 AM, possibilities said:

I thought it was actually very interesting that Harry said he had to kill all the humans to save the bison. I had assumed the motive for killing people was so his species could use the planet. But actually he's there to stop the humans from destroying the planet so the planet can survive.

I think they already made that pretty clear last season.

I don't remember that. Definitely not saying it didn't happen-- I forget all kinds of stuff. 

What I remember is that he had utter contempt for us an inferior species, which to me echoes what people say when they want to colonize you. So I didn't get that he was trying to spare the other native earth species and the planet itself, only that he thought humans were worthless.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't remember that. Definitely not saying it didn't happen-- I forget all kinds of stuff. 

What I remember is that he had utter contempt for us an inferior species, which to me echoes what people say when they want to colonize you. So I didn't get that he was trying to spare the other native earth species and the planet itself, only that he thought humans were worthless.

I think the bomb that Harry Alien was going to release would only kill humans and Harry Alien had realized that he had become to human to survive the detonation.

• Love 1

No wonder D’Arcy is so messy so often, her parents are utterly insufferable. I wish she had gone to her date with the guy she met at the baseball game, he seemed pretty great, hopefully she can try again when she's in a better place. 

This was probably the best episode of the season so far, it had a lot of the elements that make this show special. The subplots are moving faster, especially the government agents looking for Harry, the subplots were tighter, and while I knew it was coming, I got some major feels when Harry delivered the baby and he decided that humanity might just be worth saving. Plus, like Harry, I always like visiting the reservation, its something you don't see on television very much. Liv trying to set the sheriff up was cute, even if it ended badly, which managed to tie into the bigger theme of the episode, how much humans need each other and how Harry was, to his own surprise, moved by that sense of community. Its why I enjoy the subplots of the townsfolk as much as I enjoy the alien plots, its a part of how Harry and the show explores the complicated joys and heartaches of being a person as Harry himself learns about to be a human. 

Sahar threatening Harry was pretty hilarious. "Your a monster..."

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2
On 2/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, skotnikov said:

Now it's like an exemplary woke and serious PC show with all kind of minorities with unfunny jokes and unnecessary woke side plots which are so artificial it's almost cringeworthy.

I'm curious about why you see this as an exemplary woke and serious PC show and what are the "all kind of minorities" you object to. I assume you don't like the references to human lack of respect for Earth and destruction of the environment, but I see that as making an important point in the context of a funny show. But that is not the main theme of the show, and I don't think it makes the show "exemplary woke and serious PC."

As for minorities, I hope you are not denigrating the inclusion of Native Americans, since there are in fact reservations in Colorado (and many other states), and it is logical to include characters from that population. And I really hope you are not objecting to Max's friend being Muslim.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, Zonk said:

Is it just me or was that a really dumb move by Astra? 50 years is a really long time. Harry learned to love one human in like a few months (I don't think that much time has passed on the show), arguably two. In 50 years he probably has hundreds of people he loves and wants to protect.

Maybe she doesn't get to see that side of him as much as we do, but still she should learn to extrapolate a little.

Also as an aside, Harry is not wrong. It would be a lot better for other life on this planet if humans were all killed. Since there is other intelligent life in the galaxy and even on this planet, it doesn't seem like that much of a loss, tbh.

Except for all of ghe deposits of toxic waste we need to maintain and all the toxins that would escape when we disappeared. We have made our mark on this world.