Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Meet the Other Couples

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

That cut from the declaration that Danielle was under the weather to her laying next to a toilet with a piece of bread was fucking hilarious.

I knew Shake wouldn't truly be attracted to Deepti.

Shayna wasted everyone's time.

I really really hate hearing Shayne talk and laugh. Natalie totally sees him as eye candy and nothing else.

Ivanna laughs WAY TOO MUCH. She seems great but the giggling. I can't. 

Mallory is totally having second thoughts based on looks and trying to cover it up.

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Shayne has psycho Sanpaku eyes. Natalie should have run away screaming when she saw him.  And Shaina dodged a bullet.

So, only 12 people out of 30 went all the way to engagement? Or we're only seeing the "dramatic" couples? 

Well, we know during the first season, there was a whole other couple that made it out engaged that we literally never saw. Who knows.

I wish, even if their time doing this was brief or nothing materialized, we got to see that. Did the curvy women get shut out once daters figured out their body type?

I don't think anyone should be allowed to disclose physical characteristics in the pods. It makes this whole experiment moot. 

There were dudes there all the way to the end I had no idea who they were. There aren't THAT many people there. Spend more time dealing with the pod aspects.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, LakeGal said:

I am not sure if it was this episode.  But when Kyle said he was all ears I burst out laughing.  I had just been remarking that he had huge ears.  

He does have huge ears. I noticed right away - they are almost elfin. I think Jarrett and Salvador are the two best-looking ones. Shake is #3, and the rest of them don’t do anything for me. I think the women are more attractive as a whole group than the men.

20 hours ago, Racj82 said:

That cut from the declaration that Danielle was under the weather to her laying next to a toilet with a piece of bread was fucking hilarious.

It really was. I hope she has a sense of humor when she sees it.

I knew Shake wouldn’t be attracted to Deepti. And I’m with Nick - I’m not convinced that Sal and Mallory (their names do mesh well - Sallory, Malvador) are it. She was vibing with Jarrett pretty hard. I like Ayanna though and don’t want her to get hurt. Sal was so sad, but at least he has some self-respect. Kyle was like “I can convince Shaina,” and I have always said that I don’t understand why anyone would want to marry someone they had to talk into it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Shayne has psycho Sanpaku eyes. Natalie should have run away screaming when she saw him.  And Shaina dodged a bullet.

So, only 12 people out of 30 went all the way to engagement? Or we're only seeing the "dramatic" couples? 

I think Shaina's a bullet herself. 

In the first season, there were 8 engagements but they only showed 6 because they didn't expect that many and didn't have room to take them all to Mexico--or something like that.  I don't know about this season but I'd hope they would plan better for more engagements.

4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I wish, even if their time doing this was brief or nothing materialized, we got to see that. Did the curvy women get shut out once daters figured out their body type?

I don't think anyone should be allowed to disclose physical characteristics in the pods. It makes this whole experiment moot.

I agree it kind of defeats the purpose but they might not be left with any engagements if they kick people out for making references to appearance.

And part of me is grateful because the last thing I think I'd want to see is a humiliating reaction to seeing someone's fiance is larger than they expected.

17 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

She was vibing with Jarrett pretty hard.

Jarrette and Mallory made me mad during that conversation.  I get it.  There's residual attraction from the pods but they were downright flirting.  And the low key misogyny of "I'm such a guy's guy, I like sports" and his "it's so hard to find women who really like sports. 

I mean for real? A lot of women genuinely enjoy watching and playing sports. It's such a "I'm not like the other girls/you're not like the other girls" vibe.

• Love 24
3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Agree. While she’s right to be concerned about her and Kyle’s religious differences, I still don’t like her. I just find her irritating.

5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And part of me is grateful because the last thing I think I'd want to see is a humiliating reaction to seeing someone's fiance is larger than they expected.

Yes. I noticed that none of the plus-sized people that were in the first episode found matches.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

In the first season, there were 8 engagements but they only showed 6 because they didn't expect that many and didn't have room to take them all to Mexico--or something like that.  I don't know about this season but I'd hope they would plan better for more engagements.

I agree it kind of defeats the purpose but they might not be left with any engagements if they kick people out for making references to appearance.

Jarrette and Mallory made me mad during that conversation.  I get it.  There's residual attraction from the pods but they were downright flirting.  And the low key misogyny of "I'm such a guy's guy, I like sports" and his "it's so hard to find women who really like sports. 

I mean for real? A lot of women genuinely enjoy watching and playing sports. It's such a "I'm not like the other girls/you're not like the other girls" vibe.

If it's in the contract, trust and believe they won't disclose what they aren't supposed to.

It's not about the humiliation for me. Like I would be here for that. But, that's going to happen with this concept anyway. The highly superficial will find a problem with any non model type. The people really there to make this work won't exclude based on looks. It may hurt but the ones that are will leave the rejected better off.

I feel you on the last part but it actually is hard to find a woman into sports. It's just a law of averages thing. Of course, there are millions of women that love sports. It's just harder to find one that is into them than not. Harder not impossible.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

After last season aired during various interview, they all outright said they all found 'ways' to 'hint' about physical appearance.  So I'll bet this crew are the same.

I'm not something illegal. Yes, I'm sure people would try and find a way. Right now, people are doing in a roundabout way because they don't want to look like assholes. Not because it's forbidden.

I just want to see a more genuine exploration of this exercise. As it is, there are too many ways to game the experiment.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

I just want to see a more genuine exploration of this exercise. As it is, there are too many ways to game the experiment.

Agreed.  I am really disappointed that even if they didn't make a connection we didn't see more of the dates in the pods with the heavier contestants. 

I think there are certain identity elements that would difficult to hide. Jarette and Iyanna code switched as they talked. Also valid  questions about parents and background clue ppl in re: culture.  

But, otoh, when it comes to something like size,  I can see how someone who has been used to being judged for their appearance may want to go into self preservation mode and feel out how a potential mate may receive them.  It would be soul shattering, imo, if you fell in love in the pods only to see your fiance have an adverse reaction to your appearance. 

Obviously, Attractiveness is subjective, even in skinny or 'fit' people.  No matter how you may slyly try to describe yourself there is no guarantee that your partner will find you hot anyway once they see you. But I could see something like size being an added stressor for some. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Agreed.  I am really disappointed that even if they didn't make a connection we didn't see more of the dates in the pods with the heavier contestants. 

I think there are certain identity elements that would difficult to hide. Jarette and Iyanna code switched as they talked. Also valid  questions about parents and background clue ppl in re: culture.  

But, otoh, when it comes to something like size,  I can see how someone who has been used to being judged for their appearance may want to go into self preservation mode and feel out how a potential mate may receive them.  It would be soul shattering, imo, if you fell in love in the pods only to see your fiance have an adverse reaction to your appearance. 

Obviously, Attractiveness is subjective, even in skinny or 'fit' people.  No matter how you may slyly try to describe yourself there is no guarantee that your partner will find you hot anyway once they see you. But I could see something like size being an added stressor for some. 

I agree with your points.

Disclosing race/ethnicity I'm actually okay with. I think that is important to ones identity, a good way to relate and bond with others and means far more than how you look. 

I do understand that certain races get discriminated on in dating sites. But, I also think it's too important to bypass in this situation. It plays into your values, your upbringing, and many other aspects a future mate should understand.

It's tricky, I get how ones physical characteristics could be very important to ones identity and values. It's just once you start breaking down height, weight, etc you've now just lost the interesting element of this series.

I can't think of a show that has truly nailed this. There have been plenty of dating shows that try to push personality over looks. But, there is always a work around.

I guess the mother show married at first is the best attempt at it but they know nothing about each other which just feels like a terrible idea as well. I know arranged marriages are real but there has to be a better way to put mental or physical. 

I know many would not be interested but I just wish I saw more regular people on these things. That's kind of the only way to make it work. Stack the deck more towards average looking people than ready for tv players. Casting directors would never go for it. Putting a few minorities or a few people that are obese, short etc just doesn't really work.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I think the only way for it to be truly "blind" would be for the participants to be chatting via computer/text only with possibly fake names. 

I think that you can tell a lot about people through their voice. Or at least, one can identify the ethnicity of a lot of people just by voice. 

Same with name. Chances are an "Iyanna" is going to be black, a "Deepti" is almost certainly going to be Indian, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

It seems like asking about race and ethnicity is common and I guess fair game because we’ve seen people do it, but I get the impression that Shayne didn’t know Natalie was Asian until he saw her. Natalie said him meeting her parents was going to be interesting, which I took to mean they might have a problem with him not being Asian. (I would guess she’s dated white men before, but maybe her parents didn’t meet them.)

• Useful 3

I have been watching the Brazil version.  They often give each other gifts in the pods.  A couple of the women gave the guys their nightgowns.  The one guy was excited he could smell her and sleep with it.  But it showed the woman's shape and height by giving their clothes.  

• Useful 1
On 2/12/2022 at 1:47 PM, Empress1 said:

I think the women are more attractive as a whole group than the men

This. Not impressed with any of the men. Jarrett is the best, looks wise, but all of them give me pause/raise red flags in their own way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I think this season has been mostly average looking people. 

Sure. Looks are subjective. The reality that these are generally good looking people. People you can throw on a thumbnail or poster and look appealing/tv ready.

1 hour ago, snarts said:

This. Not impressed with any of the men. Jarrett is the best, looks wise, but all of them give me pause/raise red flags in their own way.

I feel like this is said most of the time in shows like this. I think everyone looks generally attractive. People that wouldn't scare too many people away on dating profiles looks wise. So same old same old.

• Love 2

Oh my god I'm at the Kyle stuffffffffffffff

Okay, I finished.

OH MY GOD THE DRAMA.  I love this show.  Oh my god LOL.............Everyone got so drunk!!!!!  Why wasn't Kyle allowed to come to the party?  Just alone?!?!?!?  This show is so bad for me yet so good!

I love Iyanna's personality.  I love how she laughs all the time.  I have a feeling some might not like it but I do!  I've never met a short woman who DOESN'T like tall men though - LOL WHAT IS THAT?  That was hilarious, she's so hilariously weird!

If Jarrrette is 6'1 look at Nick next to him!  He's like 6'5!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Sure. Looks are subjective. The reality that these are generally good looking people. People you can throw on a thumbnail or poster and look appealing/tv ready.

I feel like this is said most of the time in shows like this. I think everyone looks generally attractive. People that wouldn't scare too many people away on dating profiles looks wise. So same old same old.

Everyone in the 6 partnerships DEFINITELY has a TV ready body.  Some of these people are very attractive, and some of them have very fit bodies.  So I agree with you.  They all seem to have very straight teeth, Jarrett and Nick are over 6 feet, both Iyanna and Natalie are tiny, etc.  This stuff is usually what people find attractive.  Mallory is quite stunning.  Salvador is handsome too, but clearly not her "type" for whatever reason.  Shayna is totally an Instagram Barbie all ready to go.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

The creator confirmed like the first season there were two other couples that got engaged that didn't go to Mexico.

They don’t really feature on the show, so it’s not like people [will] go, “Oh, it’s those people.” But there was a guy named Joey and a woman named Caitlin who got engaged. Joey is on there, he’s got sort of prematurely white hair, and that he got engaged to Caitlin, who I don’t think you really ever see. And then there’s a woman, Kara, who, again, maybe she might appear in the background — she’s got this long blond hair — and this guy, Jason, who’s a tall guy with glasses. I don’t think you see — or maybe if you see him, it’s for a split second. I don’t know whether they are together or not. I know Caitlin and Joey stayed together for a while. They may still be together. I don’t know for a fact.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-02-11/love-is-blind-season-2-netflix-cast-creator

• Useful 3

Nick was MVP for me this episode!  So many hilarious, spot-on observations.  I hope he and Danielle make it.  They both seem really nice and into each other.  

On the whole looks thing, I think it's kinda ridiculous on this show that they act as if they can just fall in love with someone's personality and their looks won't matter at all.  That's not how attraction works.  Sure, you shouldn't be basing a relationship on looks alone but physical attraction is a key component.  And if that's not there, that's not something you can work on.   I do think the time in the pods is useful in that since they can't see each other or have physical contact, they can't get sidetracked by lust and are instead actually concentrating on who they have a genuine connection with emotionally and mentally.  That being said, if you click on all levels expect physical attraction, then that's not your boyfriend/girlfriend, that's just your friend.  

Which leads me to Shake and Deeps.  Shake isn't going to magically become attracted to Deeps so he needs to just break it off now instead of stringing her along (or worse, actually marrying her and then cheating on her when he does encounter someone he's attracted to).  Same with Mallory and Sal (who I totally misjudged.  Poor Sal!  Leave now Sal, while you still have your dignity).  And while it's cowardly to skulk off in the night, at least Shaina's taking action to correct the situation now that she's realized she and Kyle shouldn't be together. 

And I'm very disappointed in Jarrett this episode!  The appropriate thing to do would have been to say "hi" to Mallory, acknowledge that the entire situation is awkward as hell and wish her well with Sal.  This whole drunken flirting (Why do people indulge on these shows?  They know the producers are just trying to get them drunk so that there'll be a higher chance of drama.  Be smart, people!  Carry one drink in your hand the entire night and nurse the heck out of it!) thing is ridiculous and so disrespectful to Ayanna.  Though honestly, I shouldn't be surprised because the reality is, if you're someone's second choice, that's how they're always going to treat you.  

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Sure, you shouldn't be basing a relationship on looks alone but physical attraction is a key component.  And if that's not there, that's not something you can work on.

I think part of this experiment is about not making snap judgments about whether someone is compatible based on looks which is what app culture is these days.

You can't force physical attraction but for many people it can definitely grow with more familiarity. I've certainly experienced it. I probably had a type when I was 18 but as I went through life, what I found attractive expanded when I'd meet someone, get to know them, start to vibe more with them and the attraction that wasn't there from Day 1 would start to grow.

I think Mallory confuses me because she did say Sal wasn't what she expected but she also implied that they slept together.

• Love 4

I thought it was so strange when Jarrett (sorry, 'JerBear') and Mallory had their chat Mallory was swearing so much. It was almost nonsensical - at one point I think she said something like "We were fucking the shit". What in the world? Iyanna and Sal deserve way better.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, thejuicer said:

I thought it was so strange when Jarrett (sorry, 'JerBear') and Mallory had their chat Mallory was swearing so much. It was almost nonsensical - at one point I think she said something like "We were fucking the shit". What in the world? Iyanna and Sal deserve way better.

I think that when some people are nervous and/or drink they start cussing like that nonsensically.

• Love 6

I feel like Mallory is trying really hard to convince herself she loves Sal. Sal seems like a really nice guy. Hate that he is going to get his heart broken. I'll be shocked if they last. 

• Love 8
On 2/16/2022 at 11:35 PM, Irlandesa said:

I probably had a type when I was 18 but as I went through life, what I found attractive expanded when I'd meet someone, get to know them, start to vibe more with them and the attraction that wasn't there from Day 1 would start to grow.

It's also true in the reverse.  It's amazing how many times I found someone attractive at first sight and how quickly that can disappear once you get to know them!

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, leocadia said:

It's also true in the reverse.  It's amazing how many times I found someone attractive at first sight and how quickly that can disappear once you get to know them!

Yes.  But I'm talking in general.  For instance, I didn't think bald was all that sexy in my early 20s.  Then I met someone who was bald that I dated briefly.  After?  I found bald men to be more sexy than I had in the past.

• Love 3
On 2/13/2022 at 9:33 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone in the 6 partnerships DEFINITELY has a TV ready body.  Some of these people are very attractive, and some of them have very fit bodies.  So I agree with you.  They all seem to have very straight teeth, Jarrett and Nick are over 6 feet, both Iyanna and Natalie are tiny, etc.  This stuff is usually what people find attractive.  Mallory is quite stunning.  Salvador is handsome too, but clearly not her "type" for whatever reason.  Shayna is totally an Instagram Barbie all ready to go.

This 100% agree, they all look like they could be on television. However, I do feel like the women are way more attractive than the men and yes looks are completely subjective because I personally think while the guys all look conventionally attractive, I wouldn't personally describe any of them as " Hot as F" like Natalie would say, and that includes Jarrett. The women however are all pretty stunning. 

Just had to add that my absolute favorite part of this episode was the guys interactions with each other and how supportive and happy they all were for who the other guy ended up with. I could watch an hour of just the guys hanging out and hyping each other up and giving each other advice. 

Edited by nomodrama
  • Love 11
On 2/18/2022 at 1:00 AM, Court said:

I feel like Mallory is trying really hard to convince herself she loves Sal. Sal seems like a really nice guy. Hate that he is going to get his heart broken. I'll be shocked if they last. 

Oh I don’t think she’s trying to convince herself. She’s trying to convince him so she can ride this out to the end and get as many viewers who turn Insta followers as possible. 

• Love 3

I'm late to the party, but I caught Jarrette's shit about Mallory's ring and Iyanna mentioning that the ring matched her yellow dress. He used the ring meant for Mallory for her! That is DIRTY. 

I never watched this before. I'm disappointed they don't go back to the pods and the other people? 

• Love 2
On 2/25/2022 at 6:07 PM, Sbeetle said:

I'm late to the party, but I caught Jarrette's shit about Mallory's ring and Iyanna mentioning that the ring matched her yellow dress. He used the ring meant for Mallory for her! That is DIRTY. 

I never watched this before. I'm disappointed they don't go back to the pods and the other people? 

Last season they hung out in Mexico like this for a while, then they moved into apartments in Atlanta, where they stayed until the weddings happened.

Re: the attractiveness of the couples - I think the casting people were more inclusive than they were last season, in terms of choosing people who aren't Hollywood's idea of hot.

These contestants are all much more attractive than the average American. (If you choose people randomly from a bus stop, it's doubtful anyone would look like them.) But last year's contestants were mostly from the Bachelor/Bachelorette mold.

I don't think any of these women fit Hollywood's idea of "hot" the same way as Amber, Lauren or Kelly, and I don't think any of the men fit Hollywood's idea of "hot" the same way as Barnett, Kenny or Cameron.

I also recall only one plus-size woman in the pods in season one, and there were more than that this time around.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 3

On 2/16/2022 at 11:11 PM, Snapdragon said:

Nick was MVP for me this episode!  So many hilarious, spot-on observations.  I hope he and Danielle make it.  They both seem really nice and into each other.  

Same with Mallory and Sal (who I totally misjudged.  Poor Sal!  Leave now Sal, while you still have your dignity).  And while it's cowardly to skulk off in the night, at least Shaina's taking action to correct the situation now that she's realized she and Kyle shouldn't be together. 

And I'm very disappointed in Jarrett this episode!  The appropriate thing to do would have been to say "hi" to Mallory, acknowledge that the entire situation is awkward as hell and wish her well with Sal.  This whole drunken flirting (Why do people indulge on these shows?  They know the producers are just trying to get them drunk so that there'll be a higher chance of drama.  Be smart, people!  Carry one drink in your hand the entire night and nurse the heck out of it!) thing is ridiculous and so disrespectful to Ayanna.  Though honestly, I shouldn't be surprised because the reality is, if you're someone's second choice, that's how they're always going to treat you.  

Cosign on Nick, he seems very genuine and kind. Smart too. I too hope he and Danielle make it. 

Jarrett and Mallory had me seething. WHY was he coming on so strong? Just to prove to himself that he could win her if he wanted? And she was just as bad. So flirty and giggly. Meanwhile their chosen fiancees were off in the corner, getting upset. Just shitty behavior from both of them, and so childish. 

That said, I remember the delicious crazy from last season and I am decidedly here for it. 

• Love 3
On 2/13/2022 at 11:38 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Oh my god I'm at the Kyle stuffffffffffffff

Okay, I finished.

OH MY GOD THE DRAMA.  I love this show.  Oh my god LOL.............Everyone got so drunk!!!!!  Why wasn't Kyle allowed to come to the party?  Just alone?!?!?!?  This show is so bad for me yet so good!

I love Iyanna's personality.  I love how she laughs all the time.  I have a feeling some might not like it but I do!  I've never met a short woman who DOESN'T like tall men though - LOL WHAT IS THAT?  That was hilarious, she's so hilariously weird!

If Jarrrette is 6'1 look at Nick next to him!  He's like 6'5!

The thing that irritates me about iyanna is her laughing giggling very irritating - but she is adorable.

• Love 2

Another thing that is really irritating is all the cursing. Why does f need to be every other word, i noticed this with the women. I wish somehow shaina could have somehow been there . I too am disapponted that none of the plus size folks had a story line , if i recall first season it was mostly thin and attractive …. But people truly will be attracted To others and sadly, some people are very superficial.

• Love 1

Danielle is flat out crazy and exhausting. I have not been “spoiled” and he is crazy if he marries her. I still cant beleive she thinks it ok if her friends come over and break her furniture. He is a bit over the top ocd so unless they can rent a place for her to throw her air guitars all over and let people trash her place i see no hope . But she loves to create drama out of air.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:04 PM, DearEvette said:

Shake & Deepti.  Deeps was so physically into him but he looks so uncomfortable. re sex: Her line of 'We're not ready to take that step yet' I was like...he's not ready to take that step. And yeah he's telling all the guys he's not into her.  Man, he called her an 'auntie'. He is giving me Aziz Ansari realness.

I know I am replying to an old comment, but I just started watching the show.  Am I the only person who heard Deepti say she had never kissed a Brahmin before?  When I heard that I realized why he’s not that into her despite their common background, or rather because of their common background.  Indian people still regrettably place a lot of value on caste, and if he’s Brahmin and she’s not, that could be a dealbreaker.

• Useful 2