Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Boring the Devil

tessaray
  • Start Topic

I was once curious about this show, because I was curious about the characters in Yellowstone. Then Yellowstone bored me to tears, and became almost unwatchable, and so did this show. The acting on this one was already bad and now it is dragging along, just like Yellowstone. I guess that's the creator's specialty. 

It is so bad, I don't have to watch, just listen to the narration as in an audiobook. But then I get bored too.

• Love 2

The best thing is this episode was the most beautifully written scene I’ve seen on TV. When Sam Elliot’s character sits down and talks about loss with Elsa…it took my breath away. Both me and Mr Redcookie cried….I sobbed. Just stunning work. 

• Like 1
  • Love 22
26 minutes ago, Redcookie said:

The best thing is this episode was the most beautifully written scene I’ve seen on TV. When Sam Elliot’s character sits down and talks about loss with Elsa…it took my breath away. Both me and Mr Redcookie cried….I sobbed. Just stunning work. 

Agreed. I've said it before but Sam Elliott is killing it in this show and absolutely deserves an Emmy.

The reminded me of another scene, also written by Taylor Sheridan. The one in Wind River where Jeremy Renner's character (who lost his daughter a number of years ago) tells his friend (who had just lost his own daughter) to "take the pain". Those of you who have seen Wind River know the one I'm talking about. Such an amazing scene. This one with Shea and Elsa gave me the exact same feels.  

So it looks like there won't be a baby Ennis running around. This makes me sad.  

• Love 4

Born and raised in the south and listening to that narration? I truly swear, it's cumbersome. I have to put the closed captioning on to follow it. WHY can't they get southerners to play authentic southerners?? Why is that so difficult.

• Love 2
On 1/31/2022 at 8:04 AM, Rebky said:

Did it seem to anyone else that Elsa was disappointed that she wasn't pregnant?

I think I must have missed a scene, or perhaps wasn't paying attention.  I saw her walking away and Margaret asking "where are you going" and she said "I'm getting my period".  Did we see anything before that which definitely confirmed it?  Because I was thinking she just said that to get some privacy so she could get away from her mom.

Seems like she is going to move on fairly quickly from Ennis with the new "too pretty" bearded cowboy, so there is still a good possibility that Spencer is her son.

• Love 1

When she was just waking up early on in the episode she stuck her hand down the front of her "jeans" and her fingers came out bloody. 

I thanked God at that point that Sheridan wasn't going a different way when she stuck her hand down there.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

When she was just waking up early on in the episode she stuck her hand down the front of her "jeans" and her fingers came out bloody. 

I thanked God at that point that Sheridan wasn't going a different way when she stuck her hand down there.

Ah, got it.  I must have missed that.  Thanks!

On 1/31/2022 at 12:15 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Well, hello there Rita Wilson. 

I guess Elsa isn't pregnant...yet. 

Not much happens in this episode except Elsa meeting her next boyfriend and Noemi locking down Thomas.

I am sure it will happen but I think it would have been too obvious if it were after her first time with a guy who ends up getting killed. Given Ennis was the supposed love of her life that didn't take long to replace him. When I have read the letters people from the era wrote they seem a lot more caring and eloquent than we are now. So the coldness I see at times in this show doesn't add up, not when dealing with their own family and loved ones. 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:31 AM, circumvent said:

I was once curious about this show, because I was curious about the characters in Yellowstone. Then Yellowstone bored me to tears, and became almost unwatchable, and so did this show. The acting on this one was already bad and now it is dragging along, just like Yellowstone. I guess that's the creator's specialty. 

It is so bad, I don't have to watch, just listen to the narration as in an audiobook. But then I get bored too.

Just like Beth in Yellowstone ruins the show the same is happening with Rodeo Barbie on this one. I just don't buy Elsa as being a tough chick. Just like Beth she spends most of her time just talking the talk and being annoying. 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:46 AM, wlk68 said:

Agreed. I've said it before but Sam Elliott is killing it in this show and absolutely deserves an Emmy.

The reminded me of another scene, also written by Taylor Sheridan. The one in Wind River where Jeremy Renner's character (who lost his daughter a number of years ago) tells his friend (who had just lost his own daughter) to "take the pain". Those of you who have seen Wind River know the one I'm talking about. Such an amazing scene. This one with Shea and Elsa gave me the exact same feels.  

So it looks like there won't be a baby Ennis running around. This makes me sad.  

His character is like a "Break out character" one that overtakes the actors/characters that are meant to be the main stars. I would be happy if they killed off the Dutton's altogether and just focused on him. I know that upsets the Yellowstone family tree but I would be ok with that too lol. 

I thought it would be too easy and obvious if she fell pregnant to Ennis. This way she gets another chance, we'll see if she stuffs up again. 

• Love 1

Did women say “I got my period” in those days? I thought they would say time of the month or something like that. Don’t care for Elsa’s new love interest and she got over Ennis pretty fast. I still enjoy watching Sam Elliot and it was a fun cameo by Rita Wilson but otherwise I was getting bored .

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Did women say “I got my period” in those days? I thought they would say time of the month or something like that. Don’t care for Elsa’s new love interest and she got over Ennis pretty fast. I still enjoy watching Sam Elliot and it was a fun cameo by Rita Wilson but otherwise I was getting bored .

I was wondering the same thing.  And in fact, may have googled in an attempt to learn if this was the appropriate term that women would have used in the 19th century.  I wasn't able to find anything, but it just seemed awfully contemporary to me.

As was said, Elsa is acting like she is Ennis' widow.  Ennis' friend either has no interest in her or respected the memory of Ennis too much to move in on her right away.  He pretty much told the new guy (who apparently is friends with both of them) to leave her alone.  But it seems obvious he is going to move in on her anyways.  Leaving the original friend in the cold.  I guess this is a case of you snooze you lose.

There's a lot of Beth Dutton in Elsa and new guy with his beard kind of resembles Rip so it looks more and more like Elsa and new guy are the great-grandparents of Beth.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I was wondering the same thing.  And in fact, may have googled in an attempt to learn if this was the appropriate term that women would have used in the 19th century.  I wasn't able to find anything, but it just seemed awfully contemporary to me.

I highly doubt she would have just said it out loud in public like that, but it actually was a part of the lexicon. Per Oxford English Dictionary, it was first used in the early 1800s in medical texts with very clear exact use in 1879 and it appeared in an advertisement for ladies period towels in 1891.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Sunnykm said:

If Elsa is the matriarch of the Dutton Yellowstone family, then she never married?  Because if she married her last name would have changed.

That's why I was convinced she was pregnant with Ennis's child, who would then be raised by her parents with the name Dutton.  

• Love 1

It’s interesting reading all this stuff on menstruation. If the word period was used in the 1800’s, it must have gone out of favor for awhile because my late mother born in 1922 said she never heard that expression until she was much older. They called it the visitor, or time of the month. At least I’m learning something by watching this show!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I only really started noticing it this ep but Elsa's accent varies a little at times. Sometimes she sounds very Germanic and sometimes not so much. She does however always sound very different to the rest of her family. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2022 at 4:14 PM, Redcookie said:

This was my favorite scene of the entire series and the unlikeliest surprise. That peek he gave her beneath the crusty exterior and how they found kindred spirits in each other. Him putting aside his own grief to reach out to her. Watching the girl Elsa still is re-emerge under all the pain and grief of first love gone horribly wrong. 

Shea undoubtedly seeing his daughter in her and who she used to be and might have been as Elsa rode into the river. Just perfection. 

• Love 1

I’m not so surprised she is putting aside her grief. She’s young and despite her love for Ennis she hasn’t known him very long. Th is doesn’t mean grief won’t resurface. That’s how grief works. You can still smile for the camera. 

• Love 1

This episode was the first miss for me.   I guess it had to happen eventually.

The pace of the journey is pretty excruciating.   At this rate, they can tidily shoot five seasons for syndication and conclude with the emigrants arriving in Oregon.    Paradoxically, the slow pace is something I like about the show.

"Rodeo Barbie" has stuck in my head and I can't regard Elsa as anything but.   Her grief had the lifespan of a mayfly.   Her vain flirtation with Colton was pretty distasteful, kind of like she suddenly remembered how desirable she is (because every man west of the Mississippi is apparently salivating over her) and realized her looks were being wasted on a dead guy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/8/2022 at 10:05 PM, lucindabelle said:

I’m not so surprised she is putting aside her grief. She’s young and despite her love for Ennis she hasn’t known him very long. Th is doesn’t mean grief won’t resurface. That’s how grief works. You can still smile for the camera. 

On 2/9/2022 at 1:47 AM, CountryGirl said:

Elsa has two choices - lay down and die with her grief or go on and nothing we've seen from her thus far shows me she's the type who is going to give up. 

I didn't expect her to die with him but appearances back then we're everything. Go on with your life but perhaps not flirt with the next cowboy who comes along and then sleep with an Indian you just met? They took it to the other extreme.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:26 PM, millennium said:

This episode was the first miss for me.   I guess it had to happen eventually.

The pace of the journey is pretty excruciating.   At this rate, they can tidily shoot five seasons for syndication and conclude with the emigrants arriving in Oregon.    Paradoxically, the slow pace is something I like about the show.

"Rodeo Barbie" has stuck in my head and I can't regard Elsa as anything but.   Her grief had the lifespan of a mayfly.   Her vain flirtation with Colton was pretty distasteful, kind of like she suddenly remembered how desirable she is (because every man west of the Mississippi is apparently salivating over her) and realized her looks were being wasted on a dead guy.

It is slow which I understand but they seem to stop a lot. I would imagine daytime would be a near non stop trek only stopping for meal breaks and night would be to rest. 

And yes, she did get over Ennis very quickly it cheapens her character even more. I think every man she fancies will be the love of her life.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

I didn't expect her to die with him but appearances back then we're everything. Go on with your life but perhaps not flirt with the next cowboy who comes along and then sleep with an Indian you just met? They took it to the other extreme.

It is slow which I understand but they seem to stop a lot. I would imagine daytime would be a near non stop trek only stopping for meal breaks and night would be to rest. 

And yes, she did get over Ennis very quickly it cheapens her character even more. I think every man she fancies will be the love of her life.

Christina Haack on the Prairie . . . .

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, LadyIrony said:

Being kind of random, but decided to look it up. Most of the random internet references say around 2 miles an hour, 15 miles per day. Sometimes, in rough terrain, as little as five miles a day, sometimes 20 miles per day.  15 miles would be 7.5 hours then, which would give them daylight. They probably have to gather fuel; find, carry, and boil water for drinking; inspect, clean and feed/pasture the animals; cook without the help of dehydrated food packets; even now, setting up a camp is work. If people are sick or injured, or if there is a water barrier, or you have to corral cattle, or go ahead and search for hostile natives, it would be slower still.

• Useful 2
On 4/22/2023 at 5:12 AM, Affogato said:

Being kind of random, but decided to look it up. Most of the random internet references say around 2 miles an hour, 15 miles per day. Sometimes, in rough terrain, as little as five miles a day, sometimes 20 miles per day.  15 miles would be 7.5 hours then, which would give them daylight. They probably have to gather fuel; find, carry, and boil water for drinking; inspect, clean and feed/pasture the animals; cook without the help of dehydrated food packets; even now, setting up a camp is work. If people are sick or injured, or if there is a water barrier, or you have to corral cattle, or go ahead and search for hostile natives, it would be slower still.

I was curious so also looked it up. This site gives a break down of an average day this one is saying 18-20 miles a day which isn't a lot more than 15. It could take up to 6 months on the Oregon trail. https://oregontrailcenter.org/day-on-the-trail

(edited)

I'm watching this for the first time and I've never seen Yellowstone.  I'm liking it very much.  WRT Abilene, I believe they are referencing Abilene KS (which we'll probably learn in an upcoming episode or two).

Edited by albarino
6 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I kept wanting her to show up wearing that fringe jacket that Ennis wore. I didn't see any bullet holes or blood stains. Did they bury him with that? Girl, you should have grabbed that!

Right? I was so sad when he died!

6 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I kept wanting her to show up wearing that fringe jacket that Ennis wore. I didn't see any bullet holes or blood stains. Did they bury him with that? Girl, you should have grabbed that!

It might have looked cool, but I bet it smelled! I never did understand why he continued to wear a leather jacket when it was apparently so hot out that most of the women were going sleeveless.

On 4/13/2023 at 4:22 AM, swaantwee said:

Love 1883 but why would they ask about getting supplies in Abilene if they are at the Red River?

Especially since Wichita would be a lot closer, and was an established city already, with rail connections, so it would have plenty of provisions available.  

On 7/17/2023 at 8:45 PM, pezgirl7 said:

It might have looked cool, but I bet it smelled! I never did understand why he continued to wear a leather jacket when it was apparently so hot out that most of the women were going sleeveless.

Probably for the same reason motorcyclists wear leathers in the heat. One scratch (cattle horns, snake attack, thorns) could result in sepsis and death.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Daff said:

Probably for the same reason motorcyclists wear leathers in the heat. One scratch (cattle horns, snake attack, thorns) could result in sepsis and death.

Was he expecting to fall off his horse? Elsa was doing the same job he was, but she had short sleeves on. Which again, was dumb, because you'd want to wear long sleeves to protect yourself from the sun. And then there's Naomi wearing all that jewelry. I just think some of the costuming wasn't very practical or accurate.