Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

There's been scuttlebutt over the years that Orser only accepts students who are already super-strong technically. Canadian singles has been weak for years.

Ah. i see. well that's really a shame.  but it's his decision.  but it's really like "Toronto Trained. Toronto Trained. Trained by Canadians" and if you are a Canadian sitting at home it's like... well that's kinda.. odd..

2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Ah. i see. well that's really a shame.  but it's his decision.  but it's really like "Toronto Trained. Toronto Trained. Trained by Canadians" and if you are a Canadian sitting at home it's like... well that's kinda.. odd..

From what I’ve read about Brian’s training method he’s kind of hands off and leave it to his skaters to really manage their training. He’s there to advise and support, encourage but not really there to build a skater up from scratch.

Go Nathan! I know you got this!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Avaleigh said:

I know the reasons why Jason isn't going to medal but by all rights he should be in first right now. He's the only one who had a solid program.

This has always been an issue with the way the scoring is calculated. the ISU was trying to take the arbitrariness that we sometimes saw and to reward skaters who were doing more difficult elements. They wanted to make the scoring more transparent. It is better than the old system, but we do find that a mediocre quad will outscore an exceptional triple.

I've sometimes wondered if the sport would do better to have a scoring system the way we have with gymnastics. That there is a maximum score for any specific element and then they just deduct for any flaws. But I do get why they want the flexibility for rewarding truly exceptional skating.

• Love 6
Just now, Constant Viewer said:

for some reason it makes me think of the old Star Trek uniforms

That is just what I was thinking.

I'm sorry, but Nathan is not a Tom Brady. In this quad he certainly has been the dominant skater, but I'm tired of the US commentators disregarding the legends like Pleshenko and Yuzuru who have spent many years at the top of the game. He's the king now, but there will a new king in a few years.

Can I say that I really hate this routine? I get why he's blowing the others out of the water, but I hate this program.

• Love 4
Just now, Hana Chan said:

That is just what I was thinking.

I'm sorry, but Nathan is not a Tom Brady. In this quad he certainly has been the dominant skater, but I'm tired of the US commentators disregarding the legends like Pleshenko and Yuzuru who have spent many years at the top of the game. He's the king now, but there will a new king in a few years.

Can I say that I really hate this routine? I get why he's blowing the others out of the water, but I hate this program.

I think his step sequence is awful and so try-hard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

YES, NATHAN! Well deserved gold medal! Loved how he let loose during the step sequence/dance break at the end.

ETA - The only thing I would've loved more is if he'd skated to actual Elton John versions (or remixes) instead of the "Rocketman" soundtrack versions.

Edited by OnePlusOne
  • Love 14