Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E11: Shoulda Joined the Navy

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

Heather:

There is something that really bugs me about her. 

She speaks and acts with such annoying self confidence. I know she has to be confident, as she is chief stew and obviously got that promotion because she's done well in the job as she moved up the stew/yachting promotion ladder.

But she is too confident. Too smooth. With fellow crew, with guests, and with production in her talking heads.

And she's only 25 ? 

Female Eddie Haskell?

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Fraser has some issues, sitting alone on deck muttering to himself about not getting some with Jake and now bummed he is not the stew that Heather will be solely relying on.  Where did is his cocky little can do attitude go?

I think the issue stems from the fact that Heather said the incoming stew was her 2nd stew in Florida (or wherever). Fraser is currently 2nd stew on this boat. Frankly I'd be concerned about my position too. Heather needed to clarify that he remains 2nd stew and the new girl will be 3rd stew. Then again, he could just ask. The passive-aggressive thing is whiney and childish.

I'm wondering if there is something left out by production in these scenes with Wes and Rayna. 

I think that kind of speculation is undeservedly generous, at least where Rayna is concerned. Because:

Rayna’s attitude was apparent way before the Heather debacle. It started when moustache dude got promoted to lead deck hand and had the audacity to make a schedule she objected to, and called her out on slacking. And this was after she kissed him, which she in her mind gave her a special status , immunity from taking orders.

Exactly. Her sense of entitlement was off the charts from Day 1. Now, it's entirely possible there was some incident that got cut out of the show, but this isn't the type of show to shy away from any drama. They've been all over this "n-word" incident, God knows Rayna won't let it go, so it's not as if there's some sort of cover-up. If there was something more in this vein I'm confident we'd know it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Bossa Nova said:

But she is too confident. Too smooth. With fellow crew, with guests, and with production in her talking heads.

Something that bugs me is that whenever a guest complains about something, or says how they want things to go, she says "of course." I mean it's not really "of course" if that's not what you just didn't do, right? I know it's just a stupid phrase, but she over uses it. It should be something more like "I understand."

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Those scenes of Fraser supposedly talking to himself could be easily faked.  He might have been having a break or a meal by himself and because it's filmed from behind, they can have him speak some lines he didn't speak at the time and assemble it in editing.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I wonder why the primary was calling Capt Lee "Skipper" ?

I believe several of the guests were ex-Navy. It's very commonly used in that environment to refer to the person in charge of the vessel, regardless of their actual military rank.

• Useful 8
15 hours ago, aghst said:

How about that one guest who was not going to give the crew a chance to fix a mistake.

”I’ll show them, I won’t eat any of this gourmet food!”

This reminded me of the old adage, "she cut off her nose to spite her face."  She was obviously upset with Heather questioning her about the preference sheet, but refusing the delicious food after an apology and things made right is just punishing herself.  And it makes her look petty.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

Something that bugs me is that whenever a guest complains about something, or says how they want things to go, she says "of course." I mean it's not really "of course" if that's not what you just didn't do, right? I know it's just a stupid phrase, but she over uses it. It should be something more like "I understand."

Yesss! I didn't realize that was bugging me too, until I read your post.

I have noticed, in other seasons--I'm not sure if they've done it during this one because I'm re-organizing my closet and dressers while I watch--there was a lot of "No problem" responses when a guest asks for something. Also remember hearing some "No worries" when a guest has thanked crew for something, instead of just saying "you're welcome". 

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Yesss! I didn't realize that was bugging me too, until I read your post.

I have noticed, in other seasons--I'm not sure if they've done it during this one because I'm re-organizing my closet and dressers while I watch--there was a lot of "No problem" responses when a guest asks for something. Also remember hearing some "No worries" when a guest has thanked crew for something, instead of just saying "you're welcome". 

I know what you mean, "My pleasure," is a response that would be appropriate on a yacht, "No problem" is too casual and insinuates negativity in the "No" and "Problem."   

The scene with the guest telling Heather there was an issue with dinner confused me, she said she would not eat lamb or seafood so she asked for a chicken breast which was ready within 10 or 15 minutes then she got snippy when it arrived and told Heather that they all want to eat dinner at the same time then refused to eat the meal she requested?  Is that what happened?

I imagine the someone on the crew had a tasty entree for dinner that night.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

I wonder if the reason for the breakup with that man that she was so in love with last season had to do with him having witnessed her drunken antics and low class, gross uncouthness on TV and he kicked her to the curb.  This is pure speculation on my part, but it it's true, it seems she learned a lesson from that with regards to her controlling her behavior this season by not drinking and losing her mind.  She's an amazing chef, and even though I'm a vegetarian, when her meals are described I can only admire her creativity and risk-taking and caring for the guests' meal satisfaction.

Maybe she got sober and watched back the season and was horrified at her behaviour, because she has much more control this season so far, and she looks a lot better too.  As long as she behaves she is a great chef and she’s still quirky and fun….. I hope it lasts 😎

• Love 10

If I were filling out a preference sheet for Rachel it would read "Chef's choice—I'm sure whatever you prepare will be delicious!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lactose intolerance isn't like a food allergy, is it? Eating food that's just touched something you have an intolerance to shouldn't cause problems, those would only kick in if you actually ate the offending food. So Madame Sourpuss refused the lamb (which should have been perfectly fine for her to eat) because it had come into contact with feta cheese, then went on a hunger strike because the chicken she requested to replace it wasn't ready instantaneously?

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lactose intolerance isn't like a food allergy, is it? Eating food that's just touched something you have an intolerance to shouldn't cause problems, those would only kick in if you actually ate the offending food. So Madame Sourpuss refused the lamb (which should have been perfectly fine for her to eat) because it had come into contact with feta cheese, then went on a hunger strike because the chicken she requested to replace it wasn't ready instantaneously?

From what I understand, lactose intolerance is pretty miserable if you ingest dairy - it basically like a severe food allergy as opposed to a sensitivity, and can cause terrible stomach cramps and has you running to the bathroom pretty quick. So I'd normally sympathize with someone who has it.  I think there were all kinds of things going on simultaneously at the dinner table and in the kitchen which made it confusing for viewers to follow. I think the crew initially read the gentleman next to Ms. Sourpuss as "light on dairy" when really it was Miss Sourpuss who was totally lactose intolerant, and they missed that entirely at first. Plus there was all kinds of other nonsense about some people not eating shellfish and others not eating lamb and gentleman next to Ms. Sourpuss refusing to eat anything that cheese happened to touch. Among a bunch of other things. Seriously, I think I would have flipped the table over in exasperation it was getting so convoluted.

Ms. Sourpuss demanded that chicken be prepared for her instead of the evening's offerings, and then got into a big snit because it took a bit of extra time to prepare, and she couldn't eat at the same time as everyone else. I think she wound up not eating the chicken in the end, just to be even more of a pill. It's like logic eludes some people when they're demanding extras at the last minute - the crew will happily prepare a substitution, but they can't wave a magic wand and make it appear instantly. Everyone else at the table seemed alright, but people like Ms. Sourpuss are why I never worked in food service. 

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Cheezwiz said:

From what I understand, lactose intolerance is pretty miserable if you ingest dairy - it basically like a severe food allergy as opposed to a sensitivity, and can cause terrible stomach cramps and has you running to the bathroom pretty quick. So I'd normally sympathize with someone who has it.  I think there were all kinds of things going on simultaneously at the dinner table and in the kitchen which made it confusing for viewers to follow. I think the crew initially read the gentleman next to Ms. Sourpuss as "light on dairy" when really it was Miss Sourpuss who was totally lactose intolerant, and they missed that entirely at first. Plus there was all kinds of other nonsense about some people not eating shellfish and others not eating lamb and gentleman next to Ms. Sourpuss refusing to eat anything that cheese happened to touch. Among a bunch of other things. Seriously, I think I would have flipped the table over in exasperation it was getting so convoluted.

Ms. Sourpuss demanded that chicken be prepared for her instead of the evening's offerings, and then got into a big snit because it took a bit of extra time to prepare, and she couldn't eat at the same time as everyone else. I think she wound up not eating the chicken in the end, just to be even more of a pill. It's like logic eludes some people when they're demanding extras at the last minute - the crew will happily prepare a substitution, but they can't wave a magic wand and make it appear instantly. Everyone else at the table seemed alright, but people like Ms. Sourpuss are why I never worked in food service. 

It’s sad to see people act so entitled, and they apologized to her twice and bent over backwards to accept the responsibility and right the wrong, but she just couldn’t be gracious, even on camera and in front of her friends.  That type of behaviour affects a lot people 😕

• Love 15
5 hours ago, endure said:

It’s sad to see people act so entitled, and they apologized to her twice and bent over backwards to accept the responsibility and right the wrong, but she just couldn’t be gracious, even on camera and in front of her friends.  That type of behaviour affects a lot people 😕

Some of these people are probably mortified when the show airs, some probably not so much.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I think there were all kinds of things going on simultaneously at the dinner table and in the kitchen which made it confusing for viewers to follow.

I think the lamb on feta, and the ask to prepare chicken, were 2 different things.  Sourpuss asked about whether there was lamb that hadn't been on feta, because "her husband" wouldn't touch the lamb that had been.  Which I think was deflecting, and she didn't want to eat it but who knows why she didn't just say that.  Then, separately, across the table, one of the other female guests it seemed doesn't eat seafood or red meat and they were the ones who asked for chicken.  So, Rachel ended up cooking both chicken for them and a new rack of lamb for Sourpuss and husband.  Sourpuss' husband I think ate the lamb when it came, and the other guests ate the chicken.  Only Sourpuss went to bed with no supper.  Or, maybe she only ate her specially prepared no dairy dessert?

I also saw Sourpuss' husband give her a nervous glance when Rachel came out to apologize and was using some mildly (for her) foul or suggestive language and everyone else was laughing.  Sourpuss was not amused.  Shocker.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I don't know I get where Rayna was coming from with a lot of what she's saying and doing. Maybe because I'm a Black woman who has been told my face reveals EVERYTHING and I always have to consider if I appear appealing enough and I'm a people pleaser 1st but I get her meltdown.

If someone just wore me out or talked down about what I'm doing and they are dogging me out, I hate for them to then come back when I'm-doing-me-and-being-awesome-as-usually-but-they-don't-see-it-but-now-they-do compliment. It feels like a non-compliment. Like don't dog me out and then give me a pat on the back when I do one good thing. It appears condescending. I get why the manager does it but it doesn't take the sting away.

My face makes odd looks but a lot of times I'm just processing and it flits across my face so quickly but people take offense. It gets tiring regulating it because honestly all of my thoughts are showing up on my face but I'm good. I don't have a problem, I'm just analyzing. I bet that is what Rayna's eye rolls are like for her. She probably isn't even registering what she's doing and when she gets called out it's such a norm for her she doesn't know when she did the facial. expression and for what comment.

• Love 4

If Rayna is this upset over Heather repeating "Dis ni**a" after her, she better never go to most big cities, especially LA or Miami.  White, Asian and Hispanic people say "ni**a" every other word.  It's only a problem when there's a hard "R" on the end or it's specifically meant as an insult.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

If Rayna is this upset over Heather repeating "Dis ni**a" after her, she better never go to most big cities, especially LA or Miami.  White, Asian and Hispanic people say "ni**a" every other word.  It's only a problem when there's a hard "R" on the end or it's specifically meant as an insult.

That is the point, Rayna has been telling anyone with ears that Heather said the N word but never, not once did she tell those people in what context Heather said it so now everyone is thinking Heather has called Rayna the N word.  

Nobody should use that word but somehow it is the go to lyric in rap music and socially okay to say...except for white people, I don't know if POC get a pass for using it. I would not feel comfortable singing just because it is the lyric in whatever song I am singing, I never have been.  I recently read that Elvis Costello is no longer going to sing his 1979 hit Oliver's Army because it has the N word in it, he knows better now.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, endure said:

It’s sad to see people act so entitled, and they apologized to her twice and bent over backwards to accept the responsibility and right the wrong, but she just couldn’t be gracious, even on camera and in front of her friends.  That type of behaviour affects a lot people

So true! Way back when I was still dating, I would pay attention to how my dinner companions treated the server. If they were kind, patient and forgiving of mistakes, I knew I had someone that I'd want to go on a second date with. If she was curt or condescending, that would be it. LOL

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
20 minutes ago, aqusdealer said:

Way back when I was still dating, I would pay attention to how my dinner companions treated the server. If they were kind, patient and forgiving of mistakes, I knew I had someone that I'd want to go on a second date with. If she was curt or condescending, that would be it. LOL

This is an important litumus test for me as well. Anyone who is rude or dismissive to service workers or wait staff who are trying their best is a no go. Well, rudeness in general is a big no. But the way people treat others in customer service jobs is usually a good insight into their character.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

So true! Way back when I was still dating, I would pay attention to how my dinner companions treated the server. If they were kind, patient and forgiving of mistakes, I knew I had someone that I'd want to go on a second date with. If she was curt or condescending, that would be it. LOL

I had a friend who was a very successful head of a company.  When he wanted to hire for a position, he'd take a prospect out to lunch.  He paid close attention to how the prospect treated the wait staff.  If they were polite, considerate, courteous, the prospect made it to the next post.  If they were arrogant, demanding, officious -- they didn't.  My friend thought that how one treats one's employees reflects their abilities as a leader.  Do you inspire loyalty and greatness?  Or do you inspire hatred and discontent?  

• Love 15
On 1/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, aghst said:

He?  His weaseliness?

In response to the bolded:

On 1/12/2022 at 10:16 AM, Xebug67 said:

I did my best Nelson Muntz "ha! ha!", when Jess walked off the boat last episode. Fraser is now letting his weaselly flag fly.  If there weren't an extra pair of hands coming, he'd be bitching about that too. I hope the new stew blows him out of the water. He's such a petty little backstabber. I'm very curious as to how people will react to him come reunion time.

• Love 1

I feel a little better about Fraser after his talking heads and WWHL appearance, where he was at least self-aware about his insecurity and regarded it as something to overcome, not indulge. He needs to remind himself that he's on the job rather than picking who sits at what lunch table in a middle school cafeteria, though.

• Love 3
On 1/12/2022 at 10:53 PM, Bruinsfan said:

As someone who is lactose intolerant and has lots of family who are too, it can vary in its severity. It is definitely not as potentially severe as an allergy. A bit of cheese touching your lamb won't give you anaphylaxis or even bad symptoms unless you eat the cheese. I can eat all of the yogurt I want because of the bacteria used to make it, and I can have cheese but it will make me bloated and uncomfortable.  I use Lactaid milk and there are pills you can take before eating dairy to help it digest.

My mom would get very nauseated from eating something like ice cream, and then intestinal troubles would happen. There is no way though that I wouldn't figure out a way to eat Rachel's food without having a stank face about it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 1/12/2022 at 11:03 PM, Cheezwiz said:

From what I understand, lactose intolerance is pretty miserable if you ingest dairy - it basically like a severe food allergy as opposed to a sensitivity, and can cause terrible stomach cramps and has you running to the bathroom pretty quick.

It can be miserable but nothing like a severe food allergy, trust me. From allergies I've had my lips swell, trouble breathing and swallowing, hives covering my body, huge welts and swelling, but lactose makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach and I get gassy.

I love cheese so I put up with symptoms, as does everyone around me. ;)

Edited by nokat
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 1/14/2022 at 6:59 AM, Passing Strange said:

In response to the bolded:

This is so weird that this comment was attributed to me, because I never said it:

On 1/12/2022 at 8:16 AM, Xebug67 said:

I did my best Nelson Muntz "ha! ha!", when Jess walked off the boat last episode. Fraser is now letting his weaselly flag fly.  If there weren't an extra pair of hands coming, he'd be bitching about that too. I hope the new stew blows him out of the water. He's such a petty little backstabber. I'm very curious as to how people will react to him come reunion time.

7 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

7 minutes ago, Xebug67 said:

This is so weird that this comment was attributed to me, because I never said it:

That's happened to me a few times, I think the system here is just subject to errors by users.  Don't worry things move quickly and it will basically be buried.

Edited by endure
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Maybe this is how it happened: Cheezwiz was the original poster of the "best Nelson Muntz" comment. Aghst responded to a post you made quoting Cheezwiz. I copy pasted from the quote in your post when I answered aghst. The system then attributed the quote to you because it was inside the post you wrote. Just a guess and sorry for the mix up.

• LOL 2
On 1/13/2022 at 11:22 PM, Tanukisan said:

I had a friend who was a very successful head of a company.  When he wanted to hire for a position, he'd take a prospect out to lunch.  He paid close attention to how the prospect treated the wait staff.  If they were polite, considerate, courteous, the prospect made it to the next post.  If they were arrogant, demanding, officious -- they didn't.  My friend thought that how one treats one's employees reflects their abilities as a leader.  Do you inspire loyalty and greatness?  Or do you inspire hatred and discontent?  

I was assistant to the Chairman of Pediatrics at a large hospital.  He would have applicants for the fellowship program sit in my office for a little bit.  It was part of the interview process on how well the applicant would work with the whole pediatric team.  There were some who didn't get the job due to acting like they couldn't be bothered talking to me.  Sourpuss seems to be one of those people.  Judging by the look her husband gave her, I think she acts like this in IRL.  Sad to be that miserable when you bring it on yourself and don't have to be.

• Love 4

I feel for Sourpuss. She couldn’t eat the food they served them was told the preference sheet didn’t say what it exactly said. Both Rachel and Heather repeated in the preference meeting so they knew, but as Rachel said, when tired mistakes are made.

First they screw up the first course and then Heather argues with the guest before apologizing! The guests get a financial break to book this cruise but they still pay a ton of money. I’d be pissed too!!

The guest only hurt herself by refusing all the food but her blood sugar was low and I don’t think she was making good decisions. I hope she loaded up on wine! 😂

Rachel didn’t help one tiny bit calling the guest cranky. That word focuses on the guests behavior when “hangry” focuses on how the guest feels. One is accusatory and the other empathizes.

I think Rayna has had a tough life (that elevator story a few episodes ago was tough to hear!) so now she seeks connection and validation (Jake) but rejects a sincere effort to teach and validate (the lesson in anchoring and the compliment). Yes the timing was a little contrived but it was also a clear signal that management is investing time and effort in you. But she’s still so young, immature, and quick put up walls that she can’t see that.

I don’t know that anything can make her happy and she’s becoming the cancer that Frazier said Jess would be.

• Love 5

As the one who had a bitch button on 24/7 I can say, it is difficult to back track from an aggrievance but it always is better once done.  The sourpuss, for whatever reason, could not back away from the bitch button.  It would have made herself and everyone at the table way more relaxed.   I don't eat cheese not an allergy just don't like it all, but I can scrape feta off a lamb chop

• Love 4
On 1/15/2022 at 3:15 PM, Passing Strange said:

Maybe this is how it happened: Cheezwiz was the original poster of the "best Nelson Muntz" comment. Aghst responded to a post you made quoting Cheezwiz. I copy pasted from the quote in your post when I answered aghst. The system then attributed the quote to you because it was inside the post you wrote. Just a guess and sorry for the mix up.

Thanks for trying to figure it out. I got lost midway through.

• LOL 2
On 1/11/2022 at 2:41 PM, Baltimore Betty said:

He expects his crew to dance like circus monkeys at the guests whim, dress up in stupid costumes, do diving competitions, have a dance contest,Lee even dressed up like some island warrior because Kate told him he would, etc...but the one time Lee is expected to chip in and make the guests happy he has an attitude, he wants the crew to get a high dollar tip each charter but wants to do nothing to help. Shut up Capt. Lee, talk about a bad attitude.

Lee has to endure 2 hour dinners with some of the most awful people on reality tv. I think that's suffering enough for the show! I know the crew has to wait on the same people hand and foot, but they don't need to make extended conversation with them. 

I think the problem with the vow renewal is that everybody will start requesting it, he won't be able to say no, and suddenly that'll dominate his airtime. (Hopefully not, because vow renewals are boring, ten times MORE boring to watch on tv if you don't even know these people)

I do not understand the allergy/preference sheet drama, week after week.  If you eat at a Disney Restaurant they literally send a chef out to your table to determine PRECISELY what your issue is. (I once ordered a dish with extra chicken instead of chicken/shrimp and somebody came out. No, no allergy - just prefer chicken.) On cruise ships you can indicate an allergy and the chef staff will contact you with alternative menus for you to choose from.

I find it hard to believe that at the first sign of an issue on a preference sheet the chef on a luxury yacht doesn't sit down with the guest for 5 minutes to run menu ideas and get a feel for how they want to manage their issue. The chef should know PRECISELY whether they don't like something, they can eat around it, they will get sick if they ingest any incidentally, or they will go into anaphylactic shock if there's cross contamination in the kitchen. No excuse whatsoever.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 10

Reading a lot of the comments about race and the n word makes me feel even more sorry that Black people have to be gaslit and deal with certain attitudes.  A white person used the n word in front of Rayna but she's being made out to be the villain.  Unfortunately, that's not surprising.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

A podcast interviewing the 2 primaries

I imagine there's some interesting stuff there, but 25 minutes? Is the word "edit" no longer in the vocabulary of people who do these things?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1