Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Carey said:

It doesn't matter if TCU lost by 1 or by 60. 

It does matter.  I mean, a loss is a loss, but damn, this is a beatdown.    I was hoping for a more competitive game.  This is just sad. 

23 minutes ago, Carey said:

The committee thought this team was one of the best four teams, and that's that.

No disrespect to TCU, but sometimes the committee gets it terribly wrong.  Congrats on their Big 12 win though.  

49 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

And yes, people will question if they should've been in the top 4.   I will leave that for others to dissect.  

Well, TCU did beat Michigan to make it to the title game and certainly deserved its spot in the top 4 over all other schools, including Alabama.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
34 minutes ago, Carey said:

I don't know.  It doesn't matter if TCU lost by 1 or by 60.  The results the same.  Georgia will leave victorious, and TCU will not.

Lose by 1 and you can say (with a straight face, anyway) that you're just as good as the team that beat you but hey, a little bad luck cost you.  Lose by 60 and it's an embarrassment because you'll always be brought up as an example when they talk about blowouts and inferior opponents.

• Like 5

Georgia absolutely demolishes TCU 65-7 and wins the national title!! Back to back championships for the Dawgs, impressive accomplishment that’s rare. Georgia was clearly the best team in CFB this season from start to finish and they dominated tonight, a complete annihilation. Great performance by the Dawgs on both sides of the ball, they overpowered TCU. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, TCU did beat Michigan to make it to the title game and certainly deserved its spot in the top 4 over all other schools, including Alabama.

Not sure why you named Alabama.  I'm not saying we should've been there.  That ship sailed over a month ago.  

This is not what a national championship game should look like.  Nobody wants to see a team humiliated like that.

Congrats, Stats Queen.  I'm not a Dawgs fans (obviously!), but at least the title is staying in the SEC!!  

Just now, Xeliou66 said:

Back to back championships for the Dawgs, impressive accomplishment that’s rare.

Kirby learned from the best!!  ;)

• Like 3

I agree that this was unwatchable. Overall, I thought most games were great to watch. I do think GA would have blown out Michigan too. I say they win convincingly over Ohio State if they played then again. 

Georgia is too good but had the same problem all season of playing down to their competition. Ohio State fixed that for them. 

Despite TCU not showing up to this game, I have no issue with them in the top 4. I'm not sure who else would have gone in there. For me, it would have to be another one loss team. 

I wanted a close game that was fun to watch but am so happy for my mom and family anyways. My cousin works for the football team so I cheer for him always. 

Now the question is does Georgia just reload? Are they the new Alabama? 

• Like 3

I'm happy Georgia won (aided by picking them to win), but in my opinion, switching to extended live coverage on The Weather Channel would've been a better option for one's Monday evening TV viewing

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
25 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Not sure why you named Alabama.  I'm not saying we should've been there.  That ship sailed over a month ago.

Because the only people who've been questioning TCU's place in the top 4 are Bama fans, and that ship most certainly had not sailed for a lot of Bama fans.

You were the one who said people will question TCU's spot in the top 4, so I might ask you why you even mentioned that to begin with.  No one, not even most Bama fans, was doing so a week ago after TCU beat Michigan.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1

I only checked in occasionally (I don't give a shit about either team and while, in theory, I'd root for the non-SEC team, I'm incapable of actually mustering up the interest to root for TCU), and even from that limited exposure I was bored.  What a dud of a game.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Georgia would have done this to tOSU/Michigan though.

But they didn't. 

They barely beat tOSU, and in fact tOSU beat them in every way for more than 50 min of the playoff.

That was the actual National Title game, or should've been.

• Applause 1

We'll never know what would've happened if someone else was in the spotlight.  People on Social Media are saying that Alabama had no business being in the Top 4.  Many of them were thrilled when they missed.  To which I concluded that if someone got blown out, and then someone would say that "This would never have happened to Alabama!" I'd respond by saying that Bama could've gotten destroyed even more.  TCU was better this season.  They, along with Ohio State (and Michigan) did enough to get there.  Alabama didn't.  That would've been my response.

I think where the committee errored on was putting Ohio State in 4th place and not dropping TCU there instead.  OSU should've been third place.  We get a nice GAME, we get TCU out of the way, and then the winner of Michigan/OSU get Georgia.

I still feel Georgia wins out, but the National Championship would have been so much better.  And yeah, even if Bama got there, it would not have been this bad.  Matchups are a thing.  Unfortunately, TCU, would qualified this season, was not a great match up at all.  Cincinnati at least put up a better fight last year against Alabama.  At the end of the day, there are some teams that are built for meaningful postseason College Football, and some are not.  TCU was not.  Yeah they beat Michigan, but they aren't used to the postseason either.  They were there last year, but they aren't as seasoned as Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Georgia

Edited by Carey
Duplicate Message
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

You were the one who said people will question TCU's spot in the top 4, so I might ask you why you even mentioned that to begin with.  No one, not even most Bama fans, was doing so a week ago after TCU beat Michigan.

I mention it because I've seen it mentioned many times by others.  Maybe I should've said they belonged in the top 4, but not in the championship game against Georgia.  I don't think anybody could beat them (Bama included.) 

I haven't paid attention to what other Bama fans have been saying.  Once we lost and knew we weren't in the playoffs, Mr. Chat and I accepted that (unlike some) and moved on.  We don't wallow in defeat.  We are content with their Bowl appearance. 

Again, I was rooting for TCU, but once that game got out of hand, I couldn't watch it anymore.  It wasn't enjoyable watching them get crushed.   

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

My parents and a cousin are TCU alums so they were very excited until about the second quarter, lol. But it's still a big deal that a small-ish Texas school made it to the national championship game for the first time ever, so they should be proud. I do wonder what they'll look like next year with many players declaring for the draft. I feel like this was a bit of a fluke season with everything aligning perfectly, but we'll see. 

Georgia just looks like an NFL team compared to most opponents, they are so solid. 

• Like 2

1. On any given day, any team can beat any team. TCU was woefully unprepared.

2. Seems many folks would like to manipulate the CFP to produce good TV. I don't think that should be goal, though it would be a nice bonus. Whoever deserves to be in the final game based on the predetermined parameters, should be there.

3. Kirby Smart is an asshole for running up the score (yes, that is what he did).

4. I am neither affiliated with, nor a fan of either school.

Let the excoriating begin.

<slowly backs out of the room>

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

I didn't have a problem with Kirby Smart "running up the score" on TCU.  The Horned Frogs were the 3rd best team (or ranked team) in the country.  It was up to them to stop Georgia from scoring.  The Bulldogs had a game to win.  Otherwise, they'd allow for Duggan to score to keep it close or score enough to win the game

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Carey said:

I'm happy Georgia won (aided by picking them to win), but in my opinion, switching to extended live coverage on The Weather Channel would've been a better option for one's Monday evening TV viewing

I watched Cowboys vs Commanders last night. Talk about entertaining!!

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Seems many folks would like to manipulate the CFP to produce good TV. I don't think that should be goal, though it would be a nice bonus. Whoever deserves to be in the final game based on the predetermined parameters, should be there.

I don't want things manipulated for good TV, but I'd like to see a competitive game (nobody can predict that though), so we go with the system we have.  Will Stetson finally graduate?  How long has he been playing college ball?  Inquiring minds want to know!

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Kirby Smart is an asshole for running up the score (yes, that is what he did).

I find him to be an asshole for many reasons! 

• Like 1

Stetson is older than many of the current young NFL QB’s.  I can’t remember all the names I saw but I know that Herbert and Tua were two of them.

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Georgia just looks like an NFL team compared to most opponents, they are so solid. 

Are we sure they had only 11 players on the field at all times?  Because I swear whenever TCU tried to do anything, multiple Dawgs were there.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

A guy once told me that he went to a college game (SEC vs. non-SEC team), and when he saw the guys come out to warm up, the SEC guys looked like NFL players.  They dwarfed the other team.  I think this is pretty common with most SEC teams (sizewise). 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

But they didn't. 

They barely beat tOSU, and in fact tOSU beat them in every way for more than 50 min of the playoff.

That was the actual National Title game, or should've been.

They would have been killed by UGA in a rematch. No one was beating them last night. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

No one was beating them last night. 

I agree.  That Ohio State game is what fueled them to do even better last night.  Kirby was not happy with their overall performance in that game.  

• Like 2
15 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Deserved? Yes. Were they one of the top 4 best teams in the country? Hell no, and I’ll scream it from the rooftops.

• Applause 1

The National Championship game was one of the worst football games I’ve ever seen. TCU looked liked a Pee Wee team compared to Georgia.

Great. Georgia has won back to back titles. However, I am so sick of people anointing them as the new Alabama. Call me when Kirby does a three-peat or wins six times in 11 years. 

Also, shit like this is completely unnecessary.

WHO said that Georgia would go 7-5 this season?! WHO?! I want a name.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

WHO said that Georgia would go 7-5 this season?! WHO?! I want a name.

Seriously!  I think we all knew that Georgia was the team to beat this year!  Keep it classy there, Dawgs!

Edited by ChitChat
typo
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Carey said:

Though if you're Georgia, it was the best CFB  Championship Game ever.  Ratings-wise, it was the lowest since 1998

I wonder how many people started watching it but tuned out before the half.  That's what we did.  No need to waste our time.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I wonder how many people started watching it but tuned out before the half.  That's what we did.  No need to waste our time.  

My dad never attended professional games ever, but he always had us stay at high school games, saying during a blowout, “We will stay and support our players because they would like to leave, too, but can’t.”  I hung in there as long as I could before deciding the new NIL rules allowed me to consider the players “professionals.”  Sorry, Dad.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

My dad never attended professional games ever, but he always had us stay at high school games, saying during a blowout, “We will stay and support our players because they would like to leave, too, but can’t.”

I agree with that if you're in the stands, but since I'm not a fan of either team (would've been nice to see TCU win it), and I was at home, it didn't take long for me to quickly change the channel.  It's not fun to watch a team get blown out like that.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

Unless one planned on watching a team for 60 minutes regardless of the outcome, no one's watching a blowout.  My team won a game 62-0 years ago.  Everybody bolted early / at halftime. 

FWIW, people tried to defend TCU with a comparison of Bama/Clemson.  While 44-16 was the end result, Alabama wasn't out of it.  They were far from it since it was a 2-possession game at the half.  The Tide got the ball to start the second half.  Even if they had mustered something to where the final score was 51-33, complete of another Clemson score, you couldn't count out the Crimson Tide.  38-7 courtesy of Georgia at the expense of TCU meant it was over.  If that was the final score, that would be bad, but it wasn't even the final score!  

Even if it's a team you picked or betted on or your love, it doesn't need to be a rout.  Sure it's comforting, but I'm a fan of a competitive game, and then you can stretch the lead in the 4th quarter (or even mid-way through the 3rd quarter)

• Like 1

Terrible news for Georgia.  That totally sucks; RIP.

On a lighter note / moving back to stuff related to the game, Jim Harbaugh is no longer going anywhere (per the Michigan President)