Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Looks like Mack Brown was knocked unconscious somewhere in the state of North Carolina.  Amid that was Larry Fedora's return, dressed as Mack Brown 10 days before Halloween, back on the sidelines for the first time in Chapel Hill in a half decade

• Applause 1

Parity is a thing, though more in the NFL and less in College Football.  To make a point, one of last night's ACC games might have featured that.  Unless it's happened (IDK this second off the top of the head), North Carolina losing outright to Virginia might be the best example of an undefeated team losing (at home) to a winless team.  Minimum 5 games played each.  Rather the closest.  Virginia, this time 8 days ago, was in fact winless at 0-5 while UNC was 5-0 and moving on up in the rankings.

UVA did win for the first time before their big road upset against UNC 27-31, their first conference win FWIW.  Looked like North Carolina would survive after getting the ball back, but Maye turned it over.

So I misspoke somewhere else thinking that there were 2 undefeated teams in all of the major conferences (except the SEC and Big 12).  Washington beat Oregon last week while USC lost to Notre Dame before losing again.  My fault, but someone had to lose that game in the Northwest.  So, it does look like the SEC conference will be fine in terms of their attendance in the CFB Playoff.  At least it's not dire.  Felt like it, but there's still a ton of time left, and then you'll see someone pick off Washington, Oklahoma, while Georgia & Alabama survive.  It's just tradition.  Of course, the Huskies and/or Sooners might survive until championship weekend before losing there (likely to Oregon & Texas, respectively).

Penn State will fall for sure, but their drop, IMO, will not be as severe as North Carolina's fall.  UNC's loss was not good but they should not drop 16+ spots.  Virginia is nothing this year, but they're still an FBS program in the ACC

• Like 1

My cat has been listening to me holler at the TV for seven years now, and last night was the first time she got up and left the room.  USC scoring on first down rather than going down short of the goal and eating up clock was stupid, and what followed is exactly what I screamed at the TV was going to happen.  They tried all damn game to lose, and then were finally poised to win, but decided to be stupid again.  Lincoln Riley could wipe his ass with $100 bills for what he gets to coach that team, and he doesn't know you can't trust the defense to hold with that kind of time and three time-outs?  Idiot.  I wish he'd stayed in Oklahoma; when he pissed me off by resting in his laurels there, it was just annoying.  Doing it at USC is pissing me off.

• Like 2

Week Nine picks: Florida State, Penn State, Kansas, Texas, Georgia, Utah, Notre Dame, Louisville, Tulane, Cal, Tennessee, Washington, Air Force, UCLA, Ohio State, Ole Miss, James Madison, North Carolina, Oregon State, and SMU

ATS: Penn State (who'll hit the over on their own), Utah, Florida, Colorado, Wisconsin, and SMU

Yeah I don't get that.  I've changed the channel to a different game / updated my multi view, so IDK if the PA announcer warned the viewing audience (he better have).

O/U: Under in Utah/Oregon, Colorado/UCLA games, and over for the Duke/Louisville & Ohio State/Wisconsin Games

They played the audio when they game was suspended, but I didn’t hear the PA guy tell anyone to get out.

Until they come back, we are getting WVU/UCF.

The extended delay and then going into halftime means we all got a lot more Urban Meyer than we ever asked for.

Edited by mojoween
45 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Time to boot USC from the top 25. When you give up 49 points to Cal (!), you have no place in rarefied air. Even if you score 50. 

Meanwhile, Washington is looking ahead to that overrated USC team.  The sooner they stop doing that, the better.  Though it might benefit the SEC even more, along with the loser of THE GAME.

Either way, Southern California is done, and IMO, there's no need for Caleb to take another collegiate snap.

USC treats being ranked outside of the Top 10 like being unranked.  At least the media does!  A school like PITT feels cheated or disrespected for not being ranked at all.  Of course, after their day, I'd put them at 128

• Like 1

USC paid someone off to remain in the top 25. But the following is why they should have been jettisoned:

The Trojans are only the second Pac-12 team to allow 40 or more points in four different regular-season games while ranked in the AP Poll, joining 2005 UCLA.

And I say this having attended there in pursuit of my Masters. 😀

19 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Time to boot USC from the top 25.

Any chance the Big 10 says You know what, never mind, y'all actually suck and USC stays in the Pac-12 so I never have to watch a fucking Ohio St. game? 

No?  Damn.

If I'm the Big 10, I would want USC.  In addition to the reasons, USC travelling East to a cold weather place would be ideal for teams like Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State.  All of whom feature defense.  That might be a nice easy win for the current members of the conference

• Like 2
On 10/29/2023 at 4:23 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

They could have found someone! 😀

Of course they could have LOL. For example?  Kansas!

It is a fact that the Jayhawks beat the Sooners, who beat the Longhorns, who beat the Crimson Tide, who beat the Rebels, who beat the Tigers.  BTW, LSU's other loss was to Florida State.  More on them & everyone else later.

I've often thought that there was zero chance a 2 loss team was getting into the Playoff unless that team was Alabama.  However, I could see it with LSU.  It's still SEC West.  They probably will not topple Washington or Oregon.  They won't get in before FSU, but they could get the nod over a one-loss Big XII winner.  They'd have to win in a non-questionable way over both the Tide in Tuscaloosa and then against the champions in their home state.

The tenth college football rankings are pretty identical.  More on that in a second.  It's Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Florida State, and Washington, in that order.  One to Five.

Similar to the previous rankings, there are about a half dozen teams that swapped places between the Writers Poll & The Coaches Poll (Oregon/Texas : Ole Miss/Oklahoma : Tennessee/Oregon State).  The last 4 in are unique.

Something one would not read about when talking about the Top 25 in College Basketball is North Carolina AND Duke both dropping out in the same week.  Both ACC programs were replaced by Big XII programs (also decent hoops programs at the very least) in Kansas & Kansas State.  The coaches spared UNC with the Big XII Champion on the outside looking in (in 26th place).

While the only ranking that matters the most is being released 4 weeks from Sunday, I still cannot wait for the Halloween one.  It'll really show if the committee loves Georgia as much as everyone else.

The Bulldogs deserve the top spot despite their schedule & not looking as dominant right now.  However, I think it's 50/50 that they'll open as number one.  If they do?  Alright.  If not, it'll be a coin toss between Ohio State & Michigan, IMO.  Until recently I had Michigan at the top spot, but now I'm conflicted between them and OSU.  I can see either one, and from there, a second place spot with Georgia in 3rd.  Michigan looks impressive, but Ohio State's win over Penn State would be a very strong case as to why I'd put them in the top spot.  The news surrounding the Big 10 champions doesn't help I don't think.

It's a toss for Washington & Florida State for the final spot.  Though I'd lean Washington since they have that impressive win over a clear sixth place Oregon team.  FSU did beat LSU, and other schools.  LSU still has a second loss, but it was to Ole Miss, whose only loss was against Alabama.

Barring an upset (at least one), I imagine that whoever is left out between Washington & Florida State will get in following The Game.  If not, they'll move up permanently the following week following a conference championship game victory

• Like 1

Opening CFB Playoff Top Six might be the following: Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, Washington, Florida State, Oregon

The above is just a prediction.  Not the real stuff that'll be revealed in about 25 minutes

Boo specifically said that strength of schedule was important.   FSU has a better ranked win that GA & TTUN.  I would've put FSU at 2, GA at 3, TTUN at 4, OR at 5, WA at 6.  WA beat OR by the skin of their teeth.  OR has the UT win.

On another note, why isn't the B1G starting an investigation on TTUN.  The NCAA has TWO, the FBI has another.  There is something going wrong with that school.  Esp when you realize that Ole Khaki Pants was 0-5 against tOSU, 0 B1G championships, 0 playoff appearances.  Then Connor Stallions starts working there and *boom*.  That's just as fishy as Connor Stallions possibly at a CMU/MSU game at night wearing sunglasses and ducking his head around cameras!

Tried to get these up sooner, but I was crushed following a full week to where I couldn't get them here last night (thanks weather).  Then I had some adversity this morning.  They were pretty much done, but here they are 2-3 hours later than I planned this morning:

Week 10 Picks: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Utah, Air Force, Oklahoma, Georgia, Penn State, Florida State, Tulane, Louisville, Oregon, Iowa State, USC, Michigan, Alabama, Oregon State, UCLA

Week 10 Picks ATS: Kansas State, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, East Carolina, USC, Michigan, LSU

Over/Under: Under for Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Michigan, and LSU games, over for Ole Miss, Georgia, East Carolina, & USC games

Not a fan of my O/U stuff, but whatever.  It's just part of the burnout.  BTW, I finally figured out that I worked 8 weeks in a row sans a day off.  That's not changing this week unless I feel defeated heading into Monday (a day off will not be my choice).  Barring that or a day off (and I have a ton of PTO), cannot wait until 2 weeks from now since my first period of time off surfaces.

That also includes a ton of great games that'll help shape the CFB Playoff.  I think Michigan definitely gets snubbed if they lose to Ohio State, but only if the latter wins the following week.

LSU & Alabama are both playing for their season. Though the former already lost twice, that first one was to FSU.  So if LSU runs the table, they might have a chance.  Need a ton of help but USC winning tonight would be a start.  However, Florida State losing today would only help Alabama.  And whoever the Big XII and Pac 12 champions end up being

Edited by Carey
Other stuff thoughts and the line picks
29 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I wish I could say I was sad Clemson beat Notre Dame, but why would I be sad about something so beautiful?

It was the most beautiful thing of the year (in sports)!

Washington escapes 52-42.  I think that late first half turnover at Southern California's expense was the difference.  If you do legit cheap math, it wasn't (would've been 45-42) but so much is involved in football that USC might've been able to "muster up something" for the win.

Every-so-often I get petty enough to where I'll predict something in the distant future (i.e. Washington beating the crap out of Oregon State on the road 31-0).  I'll pump the brakes there.  OSU (not The Ohio State University) is a pretty good team, so that could be the dagger, a final one for the Pac 12 if Washington doesn't survive.

Nonetheless, that was a great game especially if you love offense.  I just love a great game, be it a ton of scoring or the opposite due to great defense.  Even LSU and Alabama was worth it!  Might've been the best day in the sport; heck!  This weekend is tremendous (collegiate and pros) all around!

• Like 1

The second rankings remained the same in the area where it counted.  Oklahoma tumbled down to 17 (from 9th).  Penn State did not jump Ole Miss, but it doesn't really matter with Michigan coming into town on Saturday

Looks like the Big Ten is going to go tough on Harbaugh in a hurry.  As in today (11/10/23).  What are your thoughts on the situation for Michigan?

To be honest, I think Jim and company are guilty as hell, period.  If they got punished, it would be the right thing.  However, I think I'd still be pissed if it occurred within the season, especially right before the Penn State game.  How on Earth is this good for the sport?

That would never happen in the NFL, based on who's great though.  If Arizona or the Jets pulled off something similar that would be different

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Carey said:

Looks like the Big Ten is going to go tough on Harbaugh in a hurry.  As in today (11/10/23).  What are your thoughts on the situation for Michigan?

To be honest, I think Jim and company are guilty as hell, period.  If they got punished, it would be the right thing.  However, I think I'd still be pissed if it occurred within the season, especially right before the Penn State game.  How on Earth is this good for the sport?

Allowing blatant cheating and then allowing Michigan to finish out the season with no consequences isn't good for the sport, either.  Remember last year, Michigan 'suspended' Harbaugh themselves in order to avoid the Big 10 or NCAA from completing their investigation and suspending him for the big games at the end of the year.  Harbaugh sat out a few non-Big 10 games against patsies rather than risk losing him for the games that really counted on the schedule.  If the Big 10 had waited until the NCAA finished the investigation, the season would be over and Michigan, once again, would lose Harbaugh for the early season against weak opponents.  This way, Michigan is actually going to be penalized, at least on game day.  No wonder the Michigan AD issued such a strong statement complete with complaining that because the suspension was announced on a Friday and Monday is the Veteran's Day federal holiday; they won't have a chance to get the court to lift the suspension to get Jimmy on the sidelines against Penn State.  I presume they will take it to court to try to get a decision to allow him to be back on the sidelines against tOSU.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Totally great points, Notabug.  As mentioned, Michigan deserves to be punished.  BTW, I'm not a Michigan fan.  Between the BIg 3 of that conference, I'm more Ohio State over both Michigan and Penn State.  So this is fine.  Just not less than 24 hours before kickoff.

While I think it's fair that the Wolverines are getting punished, what's not cool is doing this when it can't be reversed.  Furthermore, if it's true that Ohio State and others tipped off Purdue, then the Big 10 can go away and die.  BTW, that doesn't give the Wolverines a pass, but if you're going all in to take down one of the best programs in the conference, you cannot ignore the complains Michigan made, if it's valid.

I'm just not happy at all.  People made the trip, and people bet on the game already.  Saying they should've seen it coming is not a valid reason for the timing.  Either wait until the end, do it at the beginning of the week, or at the beginning of the season.

Not a fan if the Maize & Blue, but I am a fan of greatness.  IMHO, Michigan will not be going to court to try to get Harbaugh back on the sidelines; they're actually going to do whatever it takes to make Petitti and the other ADS & whomever else suffer at the very least.  Amid or in lieu of that, Michigan might bolt the Big 10 (just a rumor / social media chatter). We'll see, but Karma is a real thing.

Week 11 Picks time: Clemson, Michigan, Alabama, Tulane, Kansas, Arizona, Kansas State, Florida State, Mizzou, Washington, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Oregon State, Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, North Carolina, Oregon

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

IMHO, Michigan will not be going to court to try to get Harbaugh back on the sidelines; they're actually going to do whatever it takes to make Petitti and the other ADS & whomever else suffer at the very least.  Amid or in lieu of that, Michigan might bolt the Big 10 (just a rumor / social media chatter). We'll see, but Karma is a real thing.

Week 11 Picks time: Clemson, Michigan, Alabama, Tulane, Kansas, Arizona, Kansas State, Florida State, Mizzou, Washington, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Oregon State, Oklahoma, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, North Carolina, Oregon

As you've probably heard by now, Michigan did indeed go to court, asking for a TRO to prevent the suspension from being enforced.  The judge on the case, a Michigan judge, BTW; declined to issue an emergency ruling today, so Harbaugh will be absent from the Penn State game; but there will be a hearing next week on the suspension and whether it should be put on hold to allow Harbaugh to finish the season on the sidelines coaching.

I am a double Buckeye, I cannot pretend neutrality in this case, but, considering one of our coaches got fired because some players traded jerseys for tattoos; I don't have a lot of sympathy for Harbaugh in this one, especially as the evidence suggests that the illegal activities were happening over the past 3 seasons and were quite extensive, with most Michigan opponents being the subject of illegal scouting, I think you have more faith than I that Harbaugh's absence from the sidelines is going to be a big factor in how the team performs these next few weeks.  Harbaugh is allowed to coach in practice and I am sure he has whipped the players up with the unfairness of the penalty and how Michigan is a victim of the rest of the Big 10 AD's and coaches; I think the team will use that anger to give themselves some momentum.

I don't have a huge issue with the schools of the Big 10 who've all been affected by Michigan's cheating, getting together to petition the league for immediate action.  As far as the suspension being announced on Friday instead of earlier in the week, well, them's the breaks.

As for Michigan's AD claiming that the Big 10 ruled without knowing all the facts, I am not sure what 'facts' he has that would mitigate the very extensive verifiable evidence that one of Michigan's assistants coordinated a complex plan to obtain information about their opponents in completely unethical fashion.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Notabug said:

Remember last year, Michigan 'suspended' Harbaugh themselves in order to avoid the Big 10 or NCAA from completing their investigation

That investigation is still ongoing.  In fact UoX has three concurrent investigations still processing, including one by the FBI.

And I’m sorry, but to me banning Harbaugh only for season games, not post season, instead of banning them from the B1G Championship is bullshit when there’s clear evidence Harbaugh knew something or else why would Staliions be on the sideline talking to the coordinators and standing next to Harbaugh himself, when Stallions had no business even being on the sidelines. 

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 1

Well, Michigan escapes.  So while the ultimate goal is still alive & well, we'll see what's next for the Wolverines.  For me, I think the best thing would be for all the top teams to keep winning, and then Ohio State wins in the Game AND whatever game follows on 12/02/23.

BTW, I have Florida State, Tennessee, Utah, Mississippi, and Ohio State covering.  Buckeyes will get the over on their own, and I'll go under for everything else

It’s hard to even call the sanction against Harbaugh a ‘suspension’ since he can do everything but enter the stadium on game day. And, it is only for the last 3 regular season games, not the Big 10 championship or post season play. Barely a slap on the wrist.

I must say, Michigan’s acting coach sobbing with tears running down his face talking about Harbaugh as if he was a victim of unfair persecution was just a bit much. 

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
47 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I must say, Michigan’s acting coach sobbing with tears running down his face talking about Harbaugh as if he was a victim of unfair persecution was just a bit much. 

It was kind of sad, to be honest.  Harbaugh is not dead; he was just suspended.  He'll be fine.  Though I'll be nice; it wasn't as pathetic as Caleb Williams crying last week.

50 minutes ago, Notabug said:

It’s hard to even call the sanction against Harbaugh a ‘suspension’ since he can do everything but enter the stadium on game day. And, it is only for the last 3 regular season games, not the Big 10 championship or post season play. Barely a slap on the wrist.

While missing the Ohio State game is more than a slap on the wrist, I agree that this suspension is a total farce.  If you had to suspend the guy (right away), you make it indefinite.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this week. I think they will definitely be fireworks, but man, Ohio State winning THE GAME makes everything sorta moot

• Like 2

Beavers over Stanford 62-17.  Hopes that College Game Day would visit Corvallis were dashed while Beavers were running over Stanford in the third quarter. 

Could ESPN be afraid they'd have to address the elephant on the field:  their role in the demise of the Pac-12?  

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Beavers over Stanford 62-17.  Hopes that College Game Day would visit Corvallis were dashed while Beavers were running over Stanford in the third quarter. 

Could ESPN be afraid they'd have to address the elephant on the field:  their role in the demise of the Pac-12?  

Doubtful.  They went to Colorado this year as well as Washington.  Furthermore, they tend to take a de facto BYE week before the big home stretch.  To be specific, after 11/18, it's The Game (also Iron Bowl weekend), then Conference Championship Weekend, followed by Army/Navy and Heisman Night.

BTW, in (very) recent years, the Game Day team doesn't travel from Philly or Baltimore to New York anymore, at least as a whole.  Despite Rece Davis taking over from Chris Fowler, the latter still hosts the Heisman show.  Lee & Kirk no longer make the trip, especially the former. Desmond does, having been a past winner.

Anyway, if there had been a decent Top 8 matchup, I think Gameday goes there.  Now, Washington vs Oregon State as a Top 12 matchup is still a very good game.  Not great since the Beavers have 2 losses.  However, had OSU had one loss or none, Gameday is definitely going there.

As mentioned, they're taking it easy for Week 12, which they did in 2022.  Which is vexatious since SNF (Saturday Night Football) is actually Washington at Oregon State.  Maybe Herbie doesn't care, but I probably might not be too thrilled as a top color guy to travel from Baltimore to Harrisonburg and from that place to Corvallis.  My issue is that ESPN used to have Gameday and SNF at the same spot more often than not (pretty much what Big Noon and the hoops Gameday version do).  There is a reason when the SEC is involved but I guess ESPN and company has pivoted to a great story over a great matchup over the years.

Of course, what might happen is Chris and Kirk either getting the week off or they're calling Florida/Missouri

17 hours ago, Notabug said:

He was crying like a four-year-old who got his candy snatched by the bully.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1