Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Popples said:

Damn, it seems everyone's got to go today.

For real.  This usually takes place two weeks from now.  Not sure what the big deal is to do it now.  I guess when you've lost your 7th game and/or have been mathematically eliminated from a berth in your conference's title game, why not get a head start.

Here are the latest rankings

FYI: The 3rd CFB Playoff Rankings will be released on Tuesday.  As is the custom, it'll be later than normal as ESPN typically releases them between the 2 College Hoops games (The Championship Classic)

2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-oregon-state-and-washington-cb2?r=1hd9uv&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

For those interested in the Pac-12 realignment issues:  the judge has spoken. Hope interested folks can get past the pay wall.  

No pay wall. Just select "continue reading."

It will be interesting to see where Oregon St. and Washington St. end up. I don't think they can operate as independents. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

No pay wall. Just select "continue reading."

It will be interesting to see where Oregon St. and Washington St. end up. I don't think they can operate as independents. 

John Canzano has done a really excellent job breaking down the whole Pac-12 mess over the last few months.  

• Like 1

Michigan and HC Jim Harbaugh Appeal Has Ended

The decision to accept the suspension was made official on the eve of a court hearing.  Their remaining games are at Maryland and home vs Ohio State

Early day picks for Week 12: Louisville, Michigan (with the under & Maryland covering), Oklahoma, Penn State, Mississippi, Alabama, Tulane, and Utah (with the under & the Utes covering)

Week 12 Midday & night games: Georgia (with Tennessee covering & over total), Notre Dame, Clemson, Iowa, Oregon, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Florida State, Kansas State (outright & under) Washington (NO cover + over), Mizzou, TCU, Texas (might be wrong but probably not here)

Edited by Carey
Adding 3:30 & 7:00 stuff

There often seems to be something that pumps the brakes on chaos (Auburn beating Alabama but losing to Georgia the next week, then 2 years later, the same thing but it didn't matter since LSU had the cards & no one was passing Ohio State, Clemson, or Oklahoma that year).

For instance, this year if everyone wins out, Texas or Bama. When the chaos ends, you want it to be a case where Washington gets upset & not the tragedy that occurred in Tallahassee.

Game picks: Iowa, Oklahoma, Tulane, Mizzou, Texas, PSU, Oregon. Oregon State covers with the over hitting, but Oklahoma does not (and the under is the choice).

ETA: For some reason my Tuesday CBF Playoff rankings post resurfaced & wouldn't go away.  Could not delete it without editing

Edited by Carey
Edited to finally get rid of a big graphic

The promos for THE GAME are sorta comical.  In comical, just ESPN and FOX overdoing it IMO. I laughed a little, but was kind of sad since it's the last time where the stakes are high.  At least for the regular season TBH.

My Week 13 Saturday picks include Louisville, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Arizona, Tennessee, Liberty, Washington, Florida, Notre Dame, Georgia, South Carolina, Kansas State, and North Carolina winning today.

While I have OSU winning outright (not just covering), I have Auburn covering. I also have the Gators winning outright.

Fortunately, and similar to North Carolina & Duke in 2022, those 2 schools could meet in the postseason.  That should be great (and should have happened last year).  Will the best rivalry in sports actually live up to that on a postseason level?  I'd say of course

1 hour ago, Popples said:

Milroe still needs to make better decisions, he had two passes when he was well beyond the line of scrimmage.

I'm sure that's something his coaches will go over with him this week.  I'm sure it's easy to make that mistake when you're on the field and in motion. 

Thanks, Bama for giving us a heart attack with this game!  Thanks for an exciting ending though!!  Roll Tide!

Edited by Chit Chat
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

'Bama needed a last-second miracle to beat a team that got waxed by New Mexico State last week. Gotta love those rivalry games. 

Speaking of, folks are calling for the head of a team that went 11-1. Oh well, I guess expectations are different when you have a definite article in your school name.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Yeah, I'm not surprised about people wanting that guy fired.  FWIW, that guy almost beat the best team in the country after their star player got hurt.

Hopefully TPTB will not listen to the civilians.  Otherwise they'll turn into Michigan State.  Next year & going forward, they'll always be in the tournament. 

Ryan Day has seven losses as OSU coach and *gasp* three of them are to that team up north.  Alumni are fickle folks.

So is Mike Stoops staying at Kentucky, or is this an “I am definitely not leaving the Dolphins” situation?

• Like 1

Eh, I knew we weren't going yo beat TTUN this year.  We have a young team w/a rookie QB.  Yes, we have Harrison and Treyvon, but for the most part it's a young team.  I'm not sold on this QB.  Aft Dwayne, Justin & CJ, it's a tough act to follow.

But CJ would've scored on that last drive...😜

• Hugs 1

The Penultimate College Football Playoff Rankings Top Ten

1   Georgia
2   Michigan
3   Washington
4   Florida State
5   Oregon
6   Ohio State
7   Texas
8   Alabama
9   Missouri
10   Penn State

Those were just disclosed on ESPN.  As is the custom, the 5th rankings release is a half hour episode 5 days before the Mega Show on Selection Sunday (Noon Eastern)

Edited by Carey
Edited to change 5th place from Ohio State to Oregon
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

Much as I hate to say it, but I think you missed University of Oregon.  I believe they're 5th.

Sure did!  I thought I caught that.  Probably thinking OSU would stay over Oregon was a factor I suppose.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Whoever wins the C-USA title game? Congrats to them.  As for "meaningful" CFB, I actually do have Washington covering, but with an Oregon win, they might actually have to "sweat" out Saturday.  Until Georgia win the final CBS SEC Championship Game

Well, I get credit for Washington's victory.  I picked Oregon again for the win, but for the final Pacific 12 Championship game, picking Washington to cover was such an easy decision.  When they were leading by double digits at one point & at a decent time, I knew that I was covering, even though I didn't know whether they'd win the game.  I probably would've gone with Liberty but this isn't college hoops.  Liberty winning in that sports would mean more.

For my winners, I have the following teams doing that: Texas, Tulane, Georgia, Louisville, and Michigan.  The only losers I have covering are Oklahoma State & Iowa.

I'll go with the under for all the games except the Big 12 and SEC title game.

For the other games, there are human being elsewhere on the planet that will win and lose money so those games will mean something to somebody

So long SEC, and congrats to your 2024 National Champions, the Texas Longhorns.  Great momentum before bringing the sport down in 2024 after losses to Georgia and (even worse) Texas A&M

• LOL 2

So Washington and Michigan are locks. The musical chair teams will be Alabama, Georgia, Texas and Florida State. Do you punish an undefeated FSU team for losing their QB1? Does Alabama go over Texas (or vice versa?) Somebody's going to be pissed off tomorrow.

• Like 1

The CFB Playoff doesn't count if you leave out Texas, period.  If the Longhorns are out, then Georgia & Ohio State are in.  FSU getting in over Alabama means 51-1 (3 undefeated teams from the Big 10, Pac-12, and ACC) in terms of the record of teams playing in the CBF.  While the following teams were much more inferior, it would be messed up if not losing was what got FSU in, but Central Florida (twice) and Cincinnati (twice in a way) were left out.

There is still heat (at least from me) for putting TCU not only in, but over Ohio State, and what was next was the worst CBF title game in its history according to "everybody".

Head to head is a big deal, but even without that, Texas has done enough to get in.  They lost to Oklahoma, and they might've again, but Oklahoma State helped them out in several ways.

I'm not sure what can happen to the committee, but I would not be shocked if the committee was done away with if they get it wrong for the second consecutive year.  Probably get better people to choose the participants for the 12-team CBF playoff next season, or just have the writers make the call

Edited by Carey
Edited because Georgia winning would have resulted in 52-0 with Texas out

As has been proven year after goddamn year, head-to-head wins count for absolutely nothing to the CFP Selection Committee, and its members would sooner commit collective seppuku than completely exclude the $EC from the playoffs.  The joy I would feel should that outcome occur would be immeasurable, but, realistically, the chances that Alabama (or Georgia) is excluded are nil.  Sorry, Texas.

• Applause 1

No matter what happens as far as what the Committee decides for the playoffs, I'm still really proud of our Bama guys for everything they accomplished this season and for beating most of our rivals,  especially after many analysts and others declared the dynasty dead; and that Saban was too long in the tooth for the job; and that Georgia was going to "boat race" them last night; and that Kirby is the bestest coach ever (he did learn from the best!) 

I see the dilemma that the Committee is in, but I'm sure they've been mulling over these different scenarios for a few weeks.  Even it if doesn't go in our favor, I can accept that.  I'm just thrilled that we beat Auburn & Georgia! 

It's amusing though to see how Bama's win upset the apple cart. 😉

• Applause 1

I'm going to go with Washington, Michigan, Florida State, and Texas for the tenth & final CFB Playoff in current format.  In that order.  That's just a prediction, I'm not going to know for sure before ESPN shows it with a graphic on TV.  I'm sure someone will post the official stuff in some way when it's disclosed, but in case that doesn't happen or it's "incomplete" I'll get to it at some point sometime early in the afternoon.

I think for the third time in the past dozen years, Alabama will miss out on a shot at the title by one spot.  Of course during those other years, they were in the Title Game every time but one time (thanks to Ohio State) who I think will miss out by 2 spots.  Ohio State, Oregon, Mizzou, and PSU should round out the Top 10.

Mississippi should be good for a New Years Six bowl.  Not sure about Oklahoma; if it's not them, so be it.  I don't know if Liberty gets there, but SMU getting there is not the end of the world

I am hanging out with Booger on his island that Florida State belongs over Alabama.  It’s all moot because next year the 13-0 conference champ will automatically get in, but for this year?  It stinks.

• Like 4

If Seminoles fans are upset, maybe they can cheer themselves up and go watch Georgia/TCU.  That way they can relive what would have happened.

Anthony isn't wrong.  FSU should be in over Alabama.  In fact, if it's anybody else (well save for Ohio State), Florida State is getting in.

What's more upsetting, IMO, and as mentioned is that Michigan has to play Alabama right away.  I would have moved Washington to the Top spot since you couldn't rank Bama over Texas.

IDK.  If I'm on the committee and my livelihood is at risk (to some extent), when you talk about the community, I think I'm more afraid of Alabama than Florida State

33 minutes ago, Carey said:

If I'm on the committee and my livelihood is at risk (to some extent), when you talk about the community, I think I'm more afraid of Alabama than Florida State

Yeah, FSU absolutely gets in over Alabama if Travis is playing. But the team now is just not one of the top 4. Oh well, at least this nonsense is over. When the argument is who's 12 and who's 13, the stakes are a lot lower.

• Like 4

It's not going to happen, but this would be a good time for the NCAA to step back in and take over this whole silly playoff mess.   The ESPNs of the world are getting too much control over what is happening in college football.  I read stories this week that Cam Ward was fielding million dollar offers to jump into the portal and find a new team.  He can make more money from NIL than being a rookie in the NFL.  Isn't that wrong?  Something has to change.  

• Like 1