Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

So, I believe what we have so far are the following (New Years Six)

Cotton Bowl: Missouri vs Ohio State
Peach Bowl: Ole Miss vs Penn State
Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs Liberty
Orange Bowl: Georgia vs Florida State
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Washington vs Texas

11 minutes ago, Carey said:

Rose Bowl: Michigan vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl: Washington vs Texas

😒

A potential Alabama - Texas Championship Game will be a definite root for neither type of game. I don't even know who ESPN will root for since they openly like & bootlicking both schools.

I can somewhat enjoy a Michigan - Washington Championship Game. Neither has won a title in a pretty long time. And I'm certain that Paul Finebaum will be sick to his stomach having to tolerate that game, so at least I'm rooting for that.

Edited by Magog
26 minutes ago, Magog said:

A potential Alabama - Texas Championship Game will be a definite root for neither type of game.

In fact, that would be another championship game to skip for me.

I don't care about Michigan, but a friend did his undergrad there and I despise Ohio State, so I vaguely root for the Wolverines even though I don't watch.  Against the steaming turd with limbs that is Nick Saban?  I will be tuned in and cheering my ass off.

Washington vs. Texas is an easy root, too -- Go Huskies!  I'll take the last gasps of the Pac-12, period, but especially over Texas.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I don't normally watch many games outside of the SEC, but I thought that Washington looked really good against Oregon.  Their game with Texas should be good.  

I don't know much about Michigan, other than something about a cheating scandal, so I'll be interested in what they bring to the table.  :) 

I'm reading the article online at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about Wisconsin's bowl game vs. LSU.  The article raves about LSU QB Jayden Daniels with paragraph after paragraph describing his accomplishments.  Just when I'm wondering if the Badgers should even bother traveling to Tampa, I reach paragraph #11:  "Still, it is unclear whether Daniels will even play in the game or sit out to prepare for the 2024 NFL draft."  College football 2023! 

I will root for Michigan when hell freezes over.  I root for Big Ten teams in bowls, but never for Michigan.  I do this to honor my late mother, who despised Michigan and their football program with every fiber of her being.

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I do this to honor my late mother, who despised Michigan and their football program with every fiber of her being.

I do love a good rivalry. As a fan of a team in the "little eight", I think both teams' fans are a little pretentious. Not to ND or 'Bama levels, but still...

On 12/3/2023 at 6:43 PM, Calvada said:

I will root for Michigan when hell freezes over.  I root for Big Ten teams in bowls, but never for Michigan.  I do this to honor my late mother, who despised Michigan and their football program with every fiber of her being.

I do the same, but to honor my home state & team.

I will root for any AFC North team if they make it to the SB (ie Bengals  few years ago), but will root for Bama or Georgia over TTUN.

Edited by roamyn

I don't know how much, if any, Florida State (and Georgia) are getting for the Orange Bowl.  What I'll say is that if the money or payout is the same regardless of their participation, why would anyone play in a Bowl game that wasn't for the title.

I don't have the dislike or hate several have toward Michigan (that's reserved for Penn State).  I'm more Ohio State than Michigan, but I'm okay with the latter since they're very good.  I'm still rooting for Alabama, one of the several reasons why I wasn't saddened over the FSU snub.  At this point, I want a good game & postseason.  That was missing in a big way, the biggest way last year, and even more to an extent in 2021

• Like 1

With the College Football Regular Season done & the Bowl season starting in a week, that means it's time for the most respected day in the sport.  At least for me.  It's Army/Navy and then the Heisman show.  Of course, College Basketball coverage gets a bump; starting today as a matter of fact on CBS as the lead in to Army vs Navy (former is favored by 2.5 with a 27.5 over/under).

I have Army winning but Navy covering, with the game total ending under 28 points.  FWIW, even though Daniels is a decent enough favorite, I'll stick with my prediction of Penix FTW.  Though I believe I picked Daniels about a year ago with the assumption that 2023 was a big year for a non big name and more so for LSU (on 2019 levels).  FWIW, Jayden is at -1400, and Michael is at +900.  Other candidates include Bo Nix (22 to 1) and Marvin Harrison Jr (200 to 1).

One is probably not going to say that Army/Navy is the best game in the sport on Super Bowl Sunday or even the New Years Six games plus the Natty. However that statement has been made throughout a calendar year; typically on the day and week of the game, that's a rather popular opinion. I love a decent, respectable contest where you still compete to win, play hard, and at the end of the day, you're back to being on the same team again.  No showboating, no nonsense.  Just a great football game.

• Like 1

Well deserved Heisman victory for Jayden Daniels!  Back-to-back seasons where the winner wasn't part of the teams vying for the year's National Title.  That happened around this time a decade ago.  Great that they award it to the best players and not someone that's a part of college football's final four.  Though if you're not a QB, you probably have to be part of a team that's vying for the championship to get the Heisman.

Meanwhile, earlier in the day, as predicted, Army did get the victory over Navy.  However, no credit for me since I actually thought the latter would cover.  They nearly did but a goal-line stance ended up being the finishing touch.  Well, that & allowing a safety for a 17-11 final (come to think of it, the over hits by one-half of a point).  It is what it is, but I still love the game.  People say it's tough to watch while admiring the participants & everything about them.  That I can understand, but I know what I'm getting into when watching Army/Navy

• Like 1
On 12/8/2023 at 9:51 AM, Carey said:

What I'll say is that if the money or payout is the same regardless of their participation, why would anyone play in a Bowl game that wasn't for the title.

I think there to use to be a lot of prestige with playing a Bowl game.  It doesn't feel like that so much anymore with so many players hitting the transfer portal or sitting out the game.  I guess for some, Bowl games have lost their luster over the years. 

• Like 2
On 12/10/2023 at 4:52 PM, Chit Chat said:

I think there to use to be a lot of prestige with playing a Bowl game.  It doesn't feel like that so much anymore with so many players hitting the transfer portal or sitting out the game.  I guess for some, Bowl games have lost their luster over the years. 

Most of the bowl games have become the equivalent of an NFL preseason game with players sitting out to avoid injury and thus lowering their draft prospects or going into the portal - rather than seeing the guys who got them to the bowl game, we're going to see 2nd and 3rd stringers.  

• Like 2
On 12/14/2023 at 8:11 PM, Calvada said:

Most of the bowl games have become the equivalent of an NFL preseason game with players sitting out to avoid injury and thus lowering their draft prospects or going into the portal - rather than seeing the guys who got them to the bowl game, we're going to see 2nd and 3rd stringers. 

Yep.  That's why it's very difficult to forecast the games, especially against the spread.  Unless it completely flips.

Speaking of which, for the early games for the 2023-2024 Bowl season, I'm going with Georgia Southern, Florida A&M and Jacksonville State for the win. Howard covers though; the over hits for the first 2 games, and the under for the New Orleans game

2 hours ago, Carey said:

I have App State, New Mexico State, UCLA, and California winning today.  Man you have to bet something and/or be in a damn contest to give a damn about today's slate

My alma mater is playing, and you have picked them to win. Now I'm worried. 😂

• LOL 1
On 12/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, Carey said:

Yep.  That's why it's very difficult to forecast the games, especially against the spread.  Unless it completely flips.

Speaking of which, for the early games for the 2023-2024 Bowl season, I'm going with Georgia Southern, Florida A&M and Jacksonville State for the win. Howard covers though; the over hits for the first 2 games, and the under for the New Orleans game

I don't know the odds for any game, the over/under, etc.  I don't pick games, against the spread or otherwise.  I just like watching football and want to see good games, and this current trend of players opting out or going into the portal decreases the chances of that.  If I had to guess, I'd say my team is a huge underdog in their bowl game, because half the starters are either hurt or transferring!

I have Troy and Arkansas City winning today, well at least the former keeping it close.  But both against the spread.  FYI: I'm not betting these.  Just a guess (similar to my guess for South Florida, but I did not think I be right off of a 45-0 win).

Duke's Maye isn't there, and that's what makes these game a total bore

Yeah, there's no such thing as Arkansas State, but it really didn't matter.  Good win for Duke (push there) without Maye.  There really isn't any point focusing on the games until next weekend.  Not all are for the title (a chance at it) but in the final year of a weekend full of games for the sake of games, there are some interesting ones.

I'll miss that tradition of decent games to start a calendar year, but as the old saying goes...all good things come to an end

40 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

That beats the guys who were forced to eat mayo nachos. They looked so gross, but sell that mayo! 

They ate all kinds of mayo and Duke sauces throughout the game. I thought they were funny but it did get old. I bet they’re systems will not be good for a few days.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Stats Queen said:

They ate all kinds of mayo and Duke sauces throughout the game. I thought they were funny but it did get old. I bet they’re systems will not be good for a few days.

Yeah, I also caught them trying a booze infused sweet mustard on Krispy Kreme donuts. Hurl. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Taking Georgia -21 was the lock bet of the year.

So glad my Bulldogs look good for next year.  If we hadn’t lost to Alabama… but we did, respect to Alabama.

I wish so many FSU players hadn’t opted out of the bowl game (and I thought they deserved a playoff spot) but they did, so who knows how their postseason would have gone.

• Like 1

Every time I saw Liberty in the rankings, I would ask the universe anew, "Wait, that Liberty?  The Falwell indoctrination center??" so, while I didn't wake up until halftime and just had it on in the background, I am very glad Oregon beat the shit out of them.

I haven't watched many bowl games this year, but enjoyed Miller Moss making his case as USC's next QB.

I'll watch both playoff games, being a Michigan fan for a few hours (I don't like Harbaugh, but that has nothing on how much I loathe Saban -- plus, Michigan winning anything makes Ohio State unhappy, and I hate Ohio State, so there's that bonus) and heartily rooting for Washington because I'm a Pac-12 (RIP) fan and hate Texas.

• Like 6

Dear Baby New Year - please make the Rose Bowl more competitive than the dreck that was on earlier.

(even if Liberty getting pantsed after that first drive was satisfying)

SU wasn’t the only team to get shut out in a bowl, woo!

• Like 1

The fact that Iowa won ten games this year is a freaking miracle. You put Iowa's defense with practically any other offense in the top 20 and they'd be the ones playing Alabama today. In their last 6 games, they scored 30 points. Total.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Every time I saw Liberty in the rankings, I would ask the universe anew, "Wait, that Liberty?  The Falwell indoctrination center??" so, while I didn't wake up until halftime and just had it on in the background, I am very glad Oregon beat the shit out of them.

Wait, wait, wait. It was that Liberty?? Now I'm glad Oregon stomped them. My broadcast made it seem like it was a majority of Liberty fans and they got real quiet after the first quarter, thankfully. 

I have to root for Texas, my brother is an alum. I went to Texas A&M, also known as the Mediocrity of the SEC, so this pains me. But family supports family, or so my brother told me, lol.

• LOL 2

I knew someone who was a great soccer player.  He went to Liberty years ago.   He wasn't religious at all.   The athletes were exempt from the rules that regular students had to follow.   

Liberty was giving full ride athletic scholarships to people like my acquaintance, but the athletes lived in their own dorms, had their own dining hall, etc. and were not welcome to do anything but go to class, practice their sport, and represent the school.   

I don't know if the school still does the same thing, but the school teams were very good for a school that was new.    I guess that was worth it to the school to get a reputation of having good teams to promote the school.  

• Useful 2
(edited)

Alabama has just lost in Overtime. HA HA HA HA!!!!

Hopefully, Texas will be next to go down.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

That’s awful that they were almost quarantined from the students. What was Liberty afraid of- liberal indoctrination by the athletes?

I felt dirty rooting for Michigan, but here I am. I hope they lose in the Championship. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Not at all sorry to see Alabama lose, but Michigan’s martyr complex makes it incredibly difficult to be happy for them.

Almost nobody's happier to tell where they went to school than a Michigan alum. And the thing is, it really isn't completely about their football program. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Almost nobody's happier to tell where they went to school than a Michigan alum. And the thing is, it really isn't completely about their football program. 

You know, I think people who went to my university have a lot of school spirit, but Michigan alums are on another level.  The only alums who will tell you where they went to school more quickly than Michigan alums are Harvard alums, and there is certainly a braggart element to both, although in different ways.

Having said that, to bear witness to Alabama coming back to take the lead only to see Michigan tie it with under two minutes to go and then lose in devastating fashion in overtime?  A glorious, gorgeous start to 2024!!  Happy New Year, all!🎉

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

You know, I think people who went to my university have a lot of school spirit, but Michigan alums are on another level.  The only alums who will tell you where they went to school more quickly than Michigan alums are Harvard alums, and there is certainly a braggart element to both, although in different ways.

Penn State and Notre Dame alums are right up there too. 

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Hi, from a Texas A&M former student (we don't call ourselves alums 🙄). We are the worst braggarts and our football team is middling at best. And I don't have high hopes for our new coach.

Looks like Magog is on point with Texas falling.  Also looks like it's be Washington losing to facing Michigan for the 2024 National Title.