Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Honestly, there was no reason for these last 2006 minutes to occur.  Washington sucks, but man, if Bama couldn't punch it in, no reason for a team in the Big XII to do so over a non existent conference

Washington sure likes to keep their wins interesting, don't they?  They're probably going to lose in the championship game, but at least I don't have to endure Alabama or Texas in it, so I'm fine.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
Just now, twoods said:

@Carey don’t jinx teams in the future by calling the game before it’s over! What a sigh of relief.

That's why I said it LOOKS LIKE.  Not Washington "will be" facing Michigan in the 2024 Title Game

• LOL 1

While I do think that one catch ruled complete at the very end was pretty clearly incomplete, watching Washington try so hard to fuck up an assured victory was really something.

It didn’t look like it at the end. At least this shows other coaches that you can take the points (field goal) early on instead of go for a TD, miss, and then are still down by two scores. Good call on Sark’s end.

3 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

While I do think that one catch ruled complete at the very end was pretty clearly incomplete

I think it should be considered complete, but is deemed incomplete by the ridiculous possession rules, yet because the ruling on the field was instead complete, it had to stand.

(edited)

F*ing CHEATERS are gonna win the Natty, Old Khaki Pants is gonna go back to the NFL, and two years down the road when the NCAA finds out the CHEATERS cheated, they might vacate the win, but by then who cares?  The celebration will already have gone down.

GODDAMNIT ALABAMA##$$÷÷#=^, 

The one time I root for you....

Edited by roamyn
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Washington sure likes to keep their wins interesting, don't they?  They're probably going to lose in the championship game, but at least I don't have to endure Alabama or Texas in it, so I'm fine.

That's partly why I didn't watch the Rose Bowl-- I thought Alabama was gonna just put the pedal to the metal and keep it there, and it wouldn't even be a game; glad Michigan won.

14 hours ago, emma675 said:

I have to root for Texas, my brother is an alum. I went to Texas A&M, also known as the Mediocrity of the SEC, so this pains me. But family supports family, or so my brother told me, lol.

Spending my lifetime in the greater NYC area, college football was never really a big deal for me. It's not a New York thing.

My mom got her masters degree from Notre Dame, so we did have a rooting interest in the house. And that's pretty much how I end up rooting for anybody in these games. "Do I know anybody who would be happy if one of these teams won?"  

One of my coworkers is sending her son to Texas this fall to pitch for the baseball team. (Kid hit 93 on the radar gun at 17, and just like that Texas appeared with an offer.) So I'll vaguely root for Texas for the next couple years. I'll also root for the Iowa teams because my company does a lot of business in that state, and many of my coworkers there are invested.

Doesn't take much for me to choose a side.

• Like 1

Well, won't everyone root for Washington in the championship because, well, MICHIGAN? 

I have a niece who's a junior at Michigan, but I am a supporter (and alum) of the soon to be demolished Pac12. I want that conference to win as many titles as possible in its last year. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Well, won't everyone root for Washington in the championship because, well, MICHIGAN? 

I have a niece who's a junior at Michigan, but I am a supporter (and alum) of the soon to be demolished Pac12. I want that conference to win as many titles as possible in its last year. 

Well, I guess you could root for Washington.  By this time next year, that Big 10 team would be defending champions if the other place faltered again

3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Actually, I want Michigan to win because that's exactly what the NCAA deserves after ruining the sport of college football.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Actually, I want Michigan to win because that's exactly what the NCAA deserves after ruining the sport of college football.

I think ESPN and FOX Sports also had a hand in ruining college football.  Unfortunately, anything for the ratings ESPN will be happy with a Michigan win. 

The transfer portal and out of control NIL also share the blame.    

20 minutes ago, mojoween said:

In an article in the newspaper today it says that 15 teams made the College Football Playoffs in its 10 year existence and that cannot possibly be.

Just checked and though you'd think it would be fewer, 15 is correct:
Michigan, Alabama, Washington, Texas, TCU, Georgia, Ohio St., Cincinnati, LSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan St., Oregon and Florida St.

• Useful 1

Meh.  15 out of 40 sounds like Tuesday for me.  It was pretty much an annual empty college football season with the end teams being Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia and nobody else.

What's crazier to me is that Florida & USC didn't make it one time.  Texas didn't either until this year, and Florida State after that first year...oh nevermind.

You know I forgot about TCU when thinking about how the Big 12 went winless in the CFP.  While I don't think Washington will escape with the win, I don't think it'll be as bad as last year's game.  It could be but I'd say no since Michigan would probably end things ASAP and get out of Houston if the score is 34-6.  However, if Washington wins, then we'd get someone other than SEC or ACC winning not counting the beginning and the end in favor of the Big 10

HOW does Michigan let JJ McCarthy answer the sign stealing question?  Does he not understand how foolish he sounds?

Yes, JJ, sign stealing is a thing.  But your idiot university took it to an entirely different, highly illegal, level.  

On 1/1/2024 at 7:58 PM, kathyk2 said:

I can't wait to watch Paul Finebaum tomorrow. His callers will be miserable.

Yeah, us Bama fans were disappointed in the outcome of the game, especially the parts where our team shot themselves in the foot, but Michigan's defense was firing on all cylinders.  We lost in OT, and it wasn't a blowout, so I can live with that!  We didn't expect this season to go as well as it did, so there's still lots to be proud of with our team, especially beating AU & UGA.  :)

Saban said that some FSU fans texted Ms. Terry and were mad at her because their team didn't make the final 4.  I don't know how they got her number (they did the same to Saban), but that's where they crossed the line.  Going after a coach's wife is just classless.  Those fans need to grow up!  

Roll Tide and to those who will be watching the championship game, I hope it's a good one!  

I think those fans should've used their time better by texting FSU for not playing a football game after being upset over getting snubbed from a bigger one, which was preceded by allowing Louisville to stick around

• Like 2

It appears that the final spread is Michigan being favored at 5.5 over Washington.  That's a full point over the opening line.  Even if it hadn't closed at 5.5 in favor of the Big 10 & Rose Bowl Champions, I would have stuck with the Wolverines for the win.  For what it's worth, there was a forecast early on New Year's Day that had Michigan favored by 7.5 over Washington.  This was before the CFB Playoff semis started.

I could totally see Washington winning outright, and even if that doesn't happen, they'll fall short to where they cover.  Earlier in the season I had Michigan losing to LSU.  While I often stick with the team I picked preseason, I probably don't stick with the losing team I picked preseason.  Especially one that conquered Ohio State to close winning a half dozen games sans their head coach.  Washington can score; Michigan can succeed offensively too.  They're great defensively; at least most times Washington didn't need to stop anyone.  I don't know if a see them doing so to the point of victory.

I don't think it'll be a 65-7 victory for Michigan, or even a 42-20 score.  I feel like a great game closing with Michigan winning with room to spare (meaning one more max score from the Pac-12 & Sugar Bowl champions pull to within 3 but no tie game).

So if all goes well for Michigan, you'll see the CFB Four-Team Era end the way it started.  A Big 10 school knocking off Alabama before a game where they won the Natty after defeating a Pac-12 program.

Well, gotta stomach Michigan as champs which should be easy after years of seeing Alabama and Clemson. Congrats to them, and for Washington for hanging in there the first three quarters. Very impressed with how well Washington has been doing the past few years after all the hype goes to Oregon and USC. 

• Like 2

Well, poo, but not unexpected and at least this time the championship goes to a team I blandly dislike rather than one I despise. 

• Like 5

It seemed like more than half the pundits were picking the Huskies because of their "electric offense" and being, in my opinion, willfully blind the old truism: defenses like this Michigan defense win championships.  The end.  This game went exactly like I thought it would: Michigan's defense mostly smothered Washington's offense, and it wasn't really close.

Of course, this championship'll probably be vacated in the next few years, which will be hilarious (to me).

• Like 6

Love them or hate them, whatever you think, the better team won.  NUguy514 put it best.  Defense wins championships, and then there's what's next in terms of that title being a thing in the future.

I'll speculate that Michigan, as well as Washington, Texas, Georgia, Alabama (The final Top 5 BTW) will all be done & out of the NCAA by then.  FWIW, when Penn State, also a team that had win vacated, got those reinstated, it officially made that vacated nonsense a total moot point

I was just thinking about a more stunning coaching exit over Pete Carroll, though this is the collegiate level.  Even if Kyle Shanahan didn't return; Saban totally is a hold my beer outcome over Seattle's.

Sorta out of NOWHERE.  BTW, him and Pete are closer in age than Nick & Bill.  Didn't expect him to easily get to 2028-2029, but the timing was a shocker.

• Mind Blown 1

I'm not surprised, given the reports the past few weeks from "credible" sources that this really would be his final season.  It's sad, but I sure appreciate the years we've had him as our coach.  I wish him well.

It's funny though that some of the Auburn fans are losing their minds over it!  I think a few went and rolled Toomer's Corner.  One of my friends - who absolutely loathes Bama - couldn't wait to get home so he can gloat in the Bama fans' sadness about it.  Funny that Saban occupies that much of their brains.  Some of them are more upset than some of us are!!  

I guess it's not really bothering me because I had a bit of a crappy day, and I'm getting sick, so football isn't foremost on my mind at the moment.  Bigger fish to fry, as it were.  Roll Tide and we'll see what next season brings.  

24 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

How long until they build the statue?

He already has a statue.  Ms. Terry needs one though!!

23 minutes ago, Court said:

I find the timing of the announcement odd. I figured next season would be his last.

Wonder if any NFL teams will go after him.

We'll see.  I'm actually wondering if the portal for an entire team going somewhere else reaches 100%

1 hour ago, Carey said:

We'll see.  I'm actually wondering if the portal for an entire team going somewhere else reaches 100%

LOL. I had a similar thought.

9 hours ago, Popples said:

I am floored.

Oh, look, I don't have to hate Alabama anymore.  I'll go back to not giving a shit, but what an improvement that will be.

• LOL 3
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, look, I don't have to hate Alabama anymore.  I'll go back to not giving a shit, but what an improvement that will be.

Saban will be around in some capacity for a while to support the team.  After that, who knows, we might see him in some other capacity with college football, so you can continue to hate him!  :) 

Thanks to Saban & Ms. Terry for everything they did for the community of Tuscaloosa and for all of the collegiate stores across the state that prospered because of what he did for Bama football.  So happy to have been along for the ride.  It's been a lot of fun.