Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Texas 34 - Alabama 24  Yay.

That was a pretty entertaining game from 2 very loathsome teams. I hope that Texas don't get used to big wins like this when they come to the SEC next season. 

BTW, Texas A&M lost to the U today 48-33. HA HA HA!!

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

I pretty much picked the wrong Texas teams.  Whatever; I guess today's Texas outcome was better late than never (FYI: picking Texas FTW, and picking against Tech & A&M are routine, as much as being wrong with all 3.  That's been the case in the past)

2 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Christmas came early this year. All of Alabama's upcoming opponents must be thrilled knowing that Alabama can be beat. The calls to the Finebaum show will be epic this week.

The problem is that this has happened several times over the past decade, and at least most of those programs lost to Bama.  FWIW, only 2 seasons (2019 & 2022) had Bama being out of the dance when all was said and done.

That being said, I don't think Alabama is that great this year.  BTW, this opens the door for LSU, who managed to win everything 16 years ago after losing twice.  I don't think this is 2007 Bama but I don't think anyone is scared of the Tide right now.  I don't think everyone can beat them, but I hardly think the country is fearing Bama like they're fearing Georgia.

Until proven otherwise, we'll see if teams value a championship more than beating the Crimson Tide while losing their other 11 games

Many dear friends are Bama fans and man, are they quiet this morning. The SEC West just got really interesting. Meanwhile, I'm just thrilled that my Gators rebounded to beat a lesser (no offense, McNeese State) opponent, which, as recent years have shown us, was not a given. It's the little things. 

11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

All of Alabama's upcoming opponents must be thrilled knowing that Alabama can be beat

Any team can be beat on any given day, at least that's how I look at it.  As a Bama fan, I don't mope around after a loss.  The team will learn from it and hopefully improve.  

• Like 1

For anyone tempted to think of Texas as better than arrogant Alabama, I may be wrong but I don’t think Alabama ever used its clout to order TPTB to order the refs to extend a game so that Alabama could win.  Just saying be careful when wishing.

Just when Michigan State thought they could put the Larry Nassar situation behind them.

ETA: It gets worse, the woman was brought in specifically to talk to the team about sexual harassment.

Edited by Popples
Added information
  • Sad 5

Reports are out there that they kicked him out.  Though maybe it's still premature; by waiting, they would have a valid case to fire him with cause.  It would save MSU a lot of money.  Though if not, Michigan State is a mess from top to bottom, so if they lost $70 Million, I honestly would not lose sleep over it

On 9/4/2023 at 1:20 PM, JTMacc99 said:

Technically, Disney pulled its channels from Spectrum, not the other way around.

This is not a normal dispute like the DirecTV CBS one. Spectrum told Disney that they feel that the Spectrum customers should get access to the streaming Disney stuff as opposed to paying for it twice. Disney said no, you will pay us higher fees and force more of your customers to have our channels in their non-negotiable bundles (so that Spectrum has to pay for them every month.)

Spectrum declined to cave in to Disney’s strong arm negotiating tactics, for like the first time ever, and here we are. There are probably ways to get a lot of the missing content through Hulu/ESPN+. I saw someone in the tennis topic say a streaming service had a two week free trial that would give them ESPN. 

Disney, the parent channel of ESPN, continues to make life difficult for the viewers by cutting of access to ESPN and. It willingly to negotiate- they don’t care about the fans at all, just their bottom line - “we have almost a monopoly on sports, but we don’t care if you can’t access sad sports - they total missed the mark on putting the customer first over your bottom line…

• Like 1

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/2023/09/pac-12-chaos-judge-sides-with-wsu-and-osu-brings-board-business-to-temporary-halt.html

An update on the Pac 2.

This article is probably behind a pay wall, but it offers a really good overview of today's legal proceedings.  

https://www.johncanzano.com/p/canzano-another-win-for-oregon-state?r=1hd9uv&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, Chit Chat said:

To be fair, this is not a representation of all Bama fans.  There are bad people in every fan base, but the few don't speak for the many.  We've seen really bad behavior by LSU and Georgia fans, but that doesn't mean they're all like that. 

That's true.  You've posted about both LSU's and Georgia's fans' bad behavior in this thread before, and the criticism is totally justified, as is the criticism of Bama's fans' bad behavior in this case.

• Applause 4
8 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

and the criticism is totally justified, as is the criticism of Bama's fans' bad behavior in this case.

Yes, it is justified, but please know that the majority of Bama fans don't act like that and we don't condone that kind of behavior. 

• Like 2

Week 3 picks: Penn State, Georgia, Ohio State, Tennessee, Purdue, Michigan, Houston, Clemson, Colorado, Mizzou, Utah.

I'm not touching Georgia or Colorado in terms of the spread or the O/U.  Really, I'm not that interested in the over/under this week anywhere.  I do think LSU and Bama can win their games but not cover the spread

Colorado State 21 - Colorado 14 at Halftime.

Its Halftime right now & Colorado State hasn't rolled over & played dead like a lot of people (especially ESPN) were hoping for. Also, there have been a whole lot of penalties in this game at this point.

Edited by Magog
12 minutes ago, voiceover said:

*runs in, out of breath

Anybody still watchin’?

I'm still watching. 

Edit: The game just ended.

Deion Sanders & Colorado escaped with a 43-35  2OT win, BARELY!!

Colorado found a way to get the job done, with a lot of help from the pure ineptitude Colorado State. Lots of penalties & turnovers from them & they flat out gave that game away. 

Colorado State should be ashamed of themselves & hopefully Jay Norvell will keep his mouth shut for the rest of the season & beyond.

Now, hopefully Colorado can play a lot better against Oregon next Saturday.

Edited by Magog

It's a pretty decent lineup for College Football this week unlike last week.  FWIW, it's a complete reversal between that and the NFL.  Today it's an awesome slate, while Sunday's NFL slate isn't good.  Last Saturday wasn't that interesting, but the NFL was (at least that's what it felt like with Red Zone).

If Colorado beats Oregon, then the following is moot...we'll never know how the outcome would or will play out if Hunter was available.  Same goes for USC, but TBF, Deion said that they haven't played a complete game yet

Week 4 Picks: Florida State (including a cover & the under), Oklahoma, TCU, Michigan, Oregon, Ole Miss, Utah, Miami, Duke, Tennessee, Washington State, LSU, Florida, Texas, Penn State, Notre Dame, Georgia, Kansas State, UNC, USC, Washington

Edited by Carey

Week 4 Picks ATS: Colorado, Ole Miss, Utah, Washington State, Penn State, Notre Dame, North Carolina
O/U: Under for all of the games save for Bama/Ole Miss & PSU/Iowa

I'm probably going to be completely wrong with Penn State & Iowa.  I think Iowa is stil a team that can make a game tough to watch.  I think the best bet is Penn State still wins but Iowa covers.  So the over is unlikely to hit, but I think it'll need to in order for Penn State to cover 14.5.  The fact is, I've picked PSU to win & cover all year so no reason to go off of that until I get it wrong.  Or until games against Michigan & Ohio State

8 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Only delusional Buff fans and Deion stans thought Colorado was beating Oregon in Eugene in Year one. And that's with or without Hunter. Expect a repeat next week against the Trojans.

To be honest, Hunter doesn't play defense. While we'll never know how different the outcome would've been with him available, it changes nothing in terms of an outcome of simply winning the game or losing the game.

I did pick Oregon to win, but I still picked Colorado to cover.  21 is still a lot, especially when they beat TCU on the road.

What's next is where they'll be on the AP Poll if they are still there this time in 48 hours.  Plus, whether FOX and company will abort their Big Noon Kickoff next week (they will not)

Edited by Carey
  • Like 1

Whether Travis is the first to do this or not, I would love to see someone playing both ways (in the modern NFL) on a regular basis.  Easier to post that wish than to emulate it, but if someone actually could log 40-50 minutes at least in regulation (average most weeks at least) as a DB and a WR, that would be awesome IMO.  It might not challenge a QB toward the most popular position, but I've always admired someone that can play both ways.

16 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Touchdown Jesus weeps. 😂

Ohio State vs. Notre Dame is one of those games where the only thing I can root for is a meteor to hit the stadium, but a Notre Dame loss fills me with even more glee than does an Ohio St. loss, so I'll take it.  I'm just never going to sit through it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

What did Holtz say? I thought he was dead! 

The OSU coach sure had a few things to say about it. 😄

Holtz predicted Notre Dame would win, no surprise there. But then he stated that Ryan Day’s OSU teams were not tough while ND was and that’s why OSU wouldn’t win.  Obviously, Day did not agree with Holtz’ assessment.

As a double Buckeye myself, I think Lou Holtz can sit down and shut up.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/football/ohio-state-buckeyes-lou-holtz-blasts-ryan-day-notre-dame

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Holtz specifically said tOSU could not win big games because they weren't tough enough.

This was a defensive game all the way.  So if both defenses could hold the other to less than 20pts, I'd say they were tough enough.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Horrible 3rd down defensive call cost them the game.  They had it win

Having 10 players on the field for the final two plays may have played a role in the loss. 😏🤦‍♀️

That was even worse

• Like 1