Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Popples said:

USC's defense seems to be allergic to tackling. It's been awful all night.

All season.  It was just balanced out by their propensity for forcing turnovers and a stellar offense.  Until tonight.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I wish I had put money on the PAC-12 Championship. I knew this would happen. I saw it happen last year. There’s just something about them Utes…

People will hate me for saying this, but I will say it. As much as I’ve complained about Alabama’s offense and defense, I still think they should be in the top four. I do not think OSU is a better team; I just don’t. 

Caleb Williams is not the reason USC lost. Their defense is why; the end.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

People will hate me for saying this, but I will say it. As much as I’ve complained about Alabama’s offense and defense, I still think they should be in the top four.

AL has no quality wins.  tOSU has two quality wins and their quality loss is better.   AL has looked lackluster all year.  tOSU has looked electric - at the beginning of the season at least.

Sorry, but you can’t say AL is better when their win/loss resume clearly is the lesser.  Plus, a one loss non champion vs a two loss non champion?

Now if TTUN loses (not an impossibility), then maybe, just maybe AL makes it, since TTUN has a very weak schedule.  But if TCU loses, I still think they get in at #3 since they have the best schedule of the top 10.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

Sorry, but you can’t say AL is better when their win/loss resume clearly is the lesser.

I can absolutely say that, and I’m not the only one.

OSU was blown out at home. Alabama lost on the road by 4 points. Alabama also has a better SOS.

I also believe, whether fair or not, that the committee is afraid OSU will get blown out in the semi final game. There are several factors that the committee takes into account, and I am not sure if OSU has the advantage on those.

I do love the Tennessee fans that think they should be ranked ahead of Alabama. Dare to dream.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's sad for Tennessee that it's Alabama people are talking about making the playoffs while they beat Alabama and have overall better wins(yeah I know they lost their best player but still).

I felt so bad for Williams, I don't think he should have played that long. It was painful to watch him play while clearly injured.

• Love 1

I hope to get my picks in time for the noon games, but either way.  I'm going to go with TCU, Tulane, Georgia, Clemson, and Michigan for the win outright today.  I don't see the playoff teams blowing it like USC did.  Tulane & Clemson might lose since they have nothing to play for save for a NY6 bowl.  However, Tulane is a much better team over UFC UCF while UNC is a much worse team than Clemson.

TCU should win outright with the over hitting.  I don't see the over hitting in the Toledo/Ohio game; while I think Toledo wins outright, Ohio will keep it close enough to cover at the end of the day

Edited by Carey
Adding picks for the noon game & MMA is not facing Tulane
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, twoods said:

I read that he popped his hamstring but refused to go out of the game. Poor guy.

His coach should have pulled him off the field even if the player protested and there was a shouting match.  He's responsible for the health and safety of his players.  Who's in charge- the players or the coach?  

• Like 1
  • Love 5

TCU has looked like shit other than one drive so far. I really want the Horned Frogs to win and get in, I really don’t want Bama to sneak in, a playoff of Georgia, Bama, Michigan and OSU would be dreadful I’m afraid. It would be nice to see fresh blood like TCU get in, but they are shitting the bed.

• Love 1

I don't know if it'll be dreadful, but it might be lame since it would be Georgia vs Alabama AND Michigan vs Ohio State right out of the gate.  I'd be okay if they tried to justify having Bama jump OSU, OR if Georgia wins a close game prior to Purdue getting blown out (at which case they'd justify Michigan jumping Georgia).  This all assuming TCU can't survive this afternoon

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Carey said:

I don't know if it'll be dreadful, but it might be lame since it would be Georgia vs Alabama AND Michigan vs Ohio State right out of the gate.  I'd be okay if they tried to justify having Bama jump OSU, OR if Georgia wins a close game prior to Purdue getting blown out (at which case they'd justify Michigan jumping Georgia).  This all assuming TCU can't survive this afternoon

It would just be stale - 4 teams that have been in the playoffs a lot. It would be nice to have fresh blood in like TCU. And I’m just getting sick of Bama, I hate Michigan and I don’t care for OSU either, so I would be strongly rooting for the Dawgs to win it again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

TCU is a second half team. Hopefully they get it together because I'll be pissed if Alabama gets in over them. Is a 2 loss Alabama who didn't even go to the conference championship really better than a 1 loss team who played for their ship? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14-10 KST leads it at halftime, TCU got a couple of big stops and then a FG to end the half and they have momentum on their side now. I hope the Horned Frogs can win it, it should be an exciting second half.

21 minutes ago, Court said:

TCU is a second half team. Hopefully they get it together because I'll be pissed if Alabama gets in over them. Is a 2 loss Alabama who didn't even go to the conference championship really better than a 1 loss team who played for their ship? 

I still say TCU gets in.  AL has not looked good, unless they’re playing Austin Peay or Monroe.  

Plus, TCU would still be a one loss team.  And they have SoS to back them up.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

AL has not looked good, unless they’re playing Austin Peay or Monroe.  

That’s a bit much. I thought we looked good for the Utah State, Vanderbilt, Arkansas (mostly), and Auburn games.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, roamyn said:
1 hour ago, Court said:

I still say TCU gets in.  AL has not looked good, unless they’re playing Austin Peay or Monroe.  

Plus, TCU would still be a one loss team.  And they have SoS to back them up.

If TCU gets in, then so should USC.  TCU would've lost to a Top 12 team, but so did USC.  Kansas State and Utah aren't awful.  While Alabama has not looked good, they didn't get routed on their home turf to Michigan of all teams.

While there isn't precedent for a 2 loss team to get in, if you erase 2016 out of the picture, there isn't precedent for a team to get in in place of & instead of a division rival that beat them prior to winning their conference.  That was two years after they benefitted from the committee booting TCU out at the very end as a one-loss team.  To add insult to injury, the committee was proven wrong in 2016.

What is great about Ohio State getting in is that they were ripped for getting in, and the team that did the trash talking paid the price as the Buckeyes backed up their 2020 entry.  To be fair, Clemson did have stats to defend their comments

Quick pick for the Sun Belt. Troy wins, Coastal Carolina covers, no over.

While I do feel Ohio State should be in over Alabama (despite a defense for the opposite), I'm not a fan of it.  It may be the correct call, but it would've been nice for a playoff free of Bama, Clemson, AND OSU.  I blame USC.

And LSU, Tennessee, and...

• Love 2

Looks like it'll take bonus college football to determine the Big 12 Championship

As for everything else, I think all the underdogs cover except UNC.  In terms of an outright win:

Georgia, Tulane, Boise State, Michigan, and Clemson (who'll cover)
For the ACC & SEC title games, I don't think the combined scores will reach the O/U total.

Whatever happens, I think TCU may have done enough to survive within the Top 4

• Love 1

Wow, TCU stopped on 4th down in OT. It was stupid of Sonny Dykes to go for it on 4th down IMO, you have to take the points there, and why didn’t they sneak Duggan on one of the two plays from inside the 1?! That was really bad. Barring a miracle, KST has this one. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

And KST wins it 31-28. Great game, heartbreaking loss for TCU, that was just poor decision making by Dykes in OT. But KST played a great game and has a strong team, they deserved to win. Playoff picture is in complete chaos now. I’m afraid we’re in for a Georgia/Bama/Michigan/OSU playoff now.

• Wink 1
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m afraid we’re in for a Georgia/Bama/Michigan/OSU playoff now.

I’m hopeful the CFP will value this tight loss pretty high.  After all TCU is still only one of two 1-loss teams.  And they played in the Big 12 Championship, vs sitting at home w/2-losses.

Good job on K-State for the 4th down stop.  I was sure TCU had it since Dugan was carrying that team on his shoulders the entire 4th Qtr.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

We'll see.  There is a flaw for sitting at home with 2-losses in place of a 3-loss team.  Flaw or not it is a written rule based on what decides things in College Football.

BTW, a decent performance by LSU would help.  They were about to go up (big) but then they forgot the rules and what to do with a blocked kick.  That might be enough to end the SEC Title Game in rapid fashion

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Wow, Georgia with a blocked FG return for a TD. What a start to the game, I don’t see LSU giving Georgia much trouble. Dawgs have been the most dominant team this season.

To be fair, in that drive, Georgia got away with an early hit off of a punt.  It meant nothing, but it's going to it may be a battle for LSU.  Might be 31-0.  Whether that's the game final or the score at the half has yet to be determined

Whatever.  Still a nice answer following a blunder by LSU.  This is SEC Football, not the Sun Belt

Edited by Carey
Damn Post-Timing
  • Love 1

Georgia now up 21-7, bizarre INT there with the ball bouncing off a helmet, next play Bennett finds McConkey for the score. Bennett with 2 TD passes so far.

Wow, looking around at the other games and Troy is up 31-0 on Coastal Carolina. What is the deal with Coastal? 

Just now, Xeliou66 said:

Wow, looking around at the other games and Troy is up 31-0 on Coastal Carolina. What is the deal with Coastal? 

Apologies for sounding like an ass, as that is not the case with what I'm about to say.  Coastal Carolina has been a great team who clinched their division early.

One of their games was cancelled through no fault of their own, but last week's action may have cost them home field over Troy.

That being said, Troy has a decent decent defense and probably stomps over CC as a road team in the Sun Belt.

The cancelled game was the on against UVA.

But that's a crazy way for points off of a turnover.  As much as I'd like to see Georgia go undefeated, I'd be happy if Ohio State gets to stomp them since, right now, they've been super lucky

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Georgia up 28-7 now, Bennett with his 3rd TD pass of the game to cap off a nice drive and the Dawgs are dominating all around right now. This isn’t going to be close at all.

What a very lovely football game!

• Love 1

And this game is officially a blowout - Georgia up 35-7, dominating in every facet of the game, Bennett with 214 yards and 4 TD’s so far, and the Dawgs are on their way to the SEC Title and 13-0. LSU is no match for them. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

One of the reasons I sometimes prefer the NFL over College Football is that they take the entire record to determine postseason participants.  Not just conference records (which is a bit hypocritical).  I don't think Bama is beating this team but I hardly think they'd be down 35-10 left

• Love 2

USC is also a 2 loss team. TCU should still get in over Bama. They're a one loss team in OT. I despise Ohio State but I'm ok with them in over USC. One loss to an undefeated team is a better loss than USC two losses. 

I know there are people on the committee chomping at the bit to put Alabama in but TV ratings shouldn't factor here. I agree that Alabama hasn't looked all that great this season either except for a few games here and there. 

Georgia is dominating early here. 

• Love 2

Halftime show = "Attempt the throw football"

I guess there was a tiebreaker thing in the event of a tie within a tie. Probably a crap-ass rule but if it's in the rules then whatever. FWIW, I think the eventual winner actually won in regulation since someone gave a extra point to the runner up but the error wasn't caught.

I think this is a fair enough opinion = SEC Halftime Toss Dr Pepper > SEC Title Game

• LOL 1