Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

@Carey, will you stay up for the Utah/Oregon game? It should be a good one! Or are they not ranked high enough to interest you? 😀

I might be up be default.  Or if I turn in early, I could get up for something or nothing around the time the game is still on.

10-16 years ago?  I'd be up no matter what.  No "rest" needed haha!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Ohio St survives a scare against Maryland, setting up a showdown between unbeaten Ohio St and Michigan teams next week.

South Carolina takes an early lead over Tennessee, 7-0, I would love to see South Carolina win and knock the Vols out of playoff contention, I’ve never cared for Tennessee and they don’t deserve a shot at the title after getting dominated by Georgia. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Ohio St survives a scare against Maryland, setting up a showdown between unbeaten Ohio St and Michigan teams next week.

South Carolina takes an early lead over Tennessee, 7-0, I would love to see South Carolina win and knock the Vols out of playoff contention, I’ve never cared for Tennessee and they don’t deserve a shot at the title after getting dominated by Georgia. 

Should Louisiana State University knock off Georgia in The 31st Annual Southeastern Conference Championship Game, it may result in them going into the Playoff over Tennessee, who kicked their ass as the road team.  It's debatable since the 2019 National Champions lost twice and Tennessee has only one L.  For now.

While no 2-loss team has ever made it, no SEC champion has ever missed the CFB Playoff.  That's why a loss by TCU helps make the 3 SEC team thing a reality.  Of course, if USC wins out, here comes the chaos.

Should South Carolina hold on, then that take care of that problem, but it'll be moot if Georgia tops LSU.  Except not really since it'll open a new door with a possible 1-loss Pac 12 team and a possible one loss ACC team.  Notre Dame no longer looks like total crap, so their double ACC finalists topple doesn't hurt.  In fact, it helps.

BTW, Tennessee got blessed against Alabama.  It came down to a missed FG and their make.  Furthermore, it took OT to beat Pittsburgh, who lost their QB earlier than that game with their backup playing hurt.  Therefore, it will not be a crime if the Vols miss out.  It'll be business as usual if SC pulls the upset, which might make for a nice scene

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Holy Fuck, GA Tech beats North Carolina. One of the biggest upsets of the year, and UNC has crapped away any shot at the playoff they had. Total choke by the Tar Heels, they were up 17-0 and fell apart. Terrible performance.

South Carolina up 11 on Tennessee at half, let’s go Gamecocks!!

• Mind Blown 1
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Holy Fuck, GA Tech beats North Carolina. One of the biggest upsets of the year, and UNC has crapped away any shot at the playoff they had. Total choke by the Tar Heels, they were up 17-0 and fell apart. Terrible performance.

"I guess that's what happens when you looks ahead to a game in NC State that you'll spend 60 minutes looking ahead to Clemson!"

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

UCLA has the upper hand in the battle of LA. DTR looks great so far. 

It appears both USC and Tennessee may choke away their playoff chances. Who does that leave? Loser of OSU/Michigan? Clemson? 

6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

UCLA has the upper hand in the battle of LA.

USC's defense is playing like shit.  I thought being without Travis Dye was going to be their biggest problem (because he's an incredible RB, and because he's a real leader), and the offense did indeed struggle for much of the first half, but they're getting into a rhythm now.  But the Trojans are never going to catch up, let alone get ahead, if the defense keeps letting UCLA march down the field every damn drive but one.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

USC's defense is playing like shit.  I thought being without Travis Dye was going to be their biggest problem (because he's an incredible RB, and because he's a real leader), and the offense did indeed struggle for much of the first half, but they're getting into a rhythm now.  But the Trojans are never going to catch up, let alone get ahead, if the defense keeps letting UCLA march down the field every damn drive but one.

LOL, I went to grad school at USC, so in theory I should like them more.However, I went to Cal for my undergrad, so I despise both schools. 😃

DTR just got picked, SC's in business.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

DTR just got picked, SC's in business.

Not so much; the receiver fails to catch a ball I could have secured (Football 101: Catch the damn ball before running for the end zone), and then the kicker misses yet another FG.  Unreal.

And now the defense bails them out again.  This is getting wild.  If they could ever play well on both sides of the ball at the same time, they could get this done.

Holy shit -- the kid can't kick a damn thing, and then he nails a 49-yarder.  I cracked up at the announcer.  "Now we know what the problem was -- he was too close."

LOL at Chip Kelly trying to ice the kicker winding up giving USC three points.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

UCLA has the upper hand in the battle of LA. DTR looks great so far. 

I started watching after this and I think he looks awful. I'm actually pulling for him too as I despise USC and Riley. 

26 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

It appears both USC and Tennessee may choke away their playoff chances. Who does that leave? Loser of OSU/Michigan? Clemson? 

Clemson can definitely sneak in. If Michigan keeps it close, I can see it being them as well. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Court said:

I started watching after this and I think he looks awful. I'm actually pulling for him too as I despise USC and Riley. 

Clemson can definitely sneak in. If Michigan keeps it close, I can see it being them as well. 

I really don’t want Michigan in again - Harbaugh is a jackass and they got destroyed last year in the playoffs. I would much rather have Clemson get in again. It’s really a crazy year. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Court said:

Yeah, DTR threw two picks in two minutes. He'd only thrown three all dead up until then. 

If USC can pull this off, they have to be in the mix. 

28 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Crimson Tide.  That's the answer.

Alabama is done, but if Tennessee and/or USC fall, I wouldn't be surprised to see/hear serious, 5-minute discussion of Alabama "being back in the mix".

Again, it's probably a no go, but A 2-loss Bama getting in over a one-loss Michigan will not be a shocker.  People would be pissed, and that's fair.  TBF, I'd laugh at people being upset if a 1-2 ACC champ got snubbed over Bama.  The 2020 National Champions lost by a FG to Tennessee and then by a successful gamble of a 2-pointer that would've cost LSU the game if it didn't work out (both on the road).

Tennessee & LSU have a chance at the title; Notre Dame does not

• Love 2

You all can have your discussion about USC and Michigan and Tennessee and games that “matter” and have “playoff implications” but I’ll be over here relishing Vandy’s win over Florida.  2 wins in a row, and the Dores only have to beat Tennessee next week to make a bowl game.  Piece of cake.  🙃

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

You all can have your discussion about USC and Michigan and Tennessee and games that “matter” and have “playoff implications” but I’ll be over here relishing Vandy’s win over Florida.  2 wins in a row, and the Dores only have to beat Tennessee next week to make a bowl game.  Piece of cake.  🙃

Hey, my sucky alma mater won The Big Game today. Nowhere close to bowl eligible, but they beat equally sucky Stanford, and that's the season! 😄

Now back to our regularly scheduled bowl playoff discussion. 🙃

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Love 2

It's looking like it'll be business as usual barring anymore upsets (good luck with that HAHA!) heading into December.

IOW, Georgia, Ohio State, TCU, USC (or Clemson if someone picks off the Trojans)

To be specific, the top of the sixth and final rankings scheduled to be released 2 weeks from Sunday

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's kind of crazy how many of the top teams struggled/are struggling on the same weekend.  So far they all survived, so I'm hopeful for USC.

(I don't see how Tennessee can pull this one out, though, so we'll have at least one shake-up, and that's big for USC's possible path to a national championship berth if they can win out, but I don't want to look too far ahead.)

• Useful 1

I'm just waiting for the SEC to hit $1,000,000.

To be specific, I'm ready to have another smile on my face for how the fans will react as soon as the clocks hit 0:00.

No playoff for the Vols, but they might not even hit the Sugar Bowl.  Or any of the other non SEMIS New Year's SIX bowl

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

USC beats UCLA 48-45 in a thriller, Caleb Williams has to be the Heisman favorite after that performance. Great game and the Trojans are in great playoff position.

As long as they avoid Oregon in 2 weeks they should be OK

• Love 1

Can't change your pick HAHA!  Once it's made it's final LOL!

J/K.  It does suck when injuries affect the outcome, but it's part of it.  Both teams are good & either team was capable of beating the other.  That's what the situation was for TCU/Baylor; not so much Tennessee/SC.

Even though the Ducks haven't been a great matchup for USC, I think the Trojans have the edge if it get to that, even with a healthy Nix.  They are ahead of schedule

• LOL 1

So, I figured the Rankings Field Day wasn't supposed to start until next Saturday as well as the weekend after that.  Though it came close to every Top 5 team falling.  Wasn't too worried about Georgia, but everyone else was close to falling.  TCU survived at the end, but Tennessee did not.  Actually, it was over well in advance.

I think the Vols will fall, not out of the Top 25 like Michigan did 15 years ago.  They probably might still be within the top 15 since their foe is still in the SEC with the game being played in November.  Definitely out of the Top half of the rankings.  Personally, I consider the Top half as the top 12, the bottom half as 14-25, and the median where North Carolina is, but not anymore as of this post an hour from now and by this time on Wednesday.

North Carolina probably will not fall out of the Top 25, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did.  They lost both of their games at home to teams they really had no business losing to.  Notre Dame has become a lot better, and while Georgia Tech is trending toward the same direction, it's not at the same speed and they're still a mess.  Not as much as before, however.

For what it's worth, The CFB Playoff Rankings matched the AP Poll exactly within the Top 14 spots as well as spots 16, 18, and 21.  Everything else is a mix.  NC State, who fell out of the AP Poll, maintained a place inside the CFB Rankings, while Coastal Carolina is ranked in the AP Poll but not in the Playoff Rankings.  They might get on with a win in the Sun Belt Championship Game

• Useful 1

If the Ducks look past Oregon State to the championship game, they are making a mistake.  Beavs dominated ASU at Tempe after injuries to five key starters (and with the second string QB still running the show).  

Edited by Phebemarie
  • Love 1

I don't think the Ducks will look past the Beavers since they'll need to win in case Washington wins their game.  It's not going to be easy either way as it's a road game for them.  Ditto for the Huskies as it's a road game against the Cougars.  Washington State losing may not be enough since Oregon would have to lose as well to make USC vs Washington a 2022 PAC 12 Title Game is real thing.

Meanwhile, not too much changed within the 12 AP Poll outside of Tennessee's fall.  Which wasn't much BTW.  They're still inside the Top 10, with USC taking its spot at 5.  Everything else pretty much stayed the same; we'll see what happens with USC, LSU, Tennessee, Clemson, and everyone else on Tuesday

Edited by Carey

^ That sucks.  People will say Tennessee wasn't going to the playoff anyway following their loss or they still would've lost to South Carolina had he survived.

What's a bigger deal is his health (going forward).  That aside, he had one game left before sitting back to see what was next.  Maybe a Heisman, though I don't know for sure or don't think (both prior to yesterday).  It's a slightly clearer picture for the 2022 NFL MVP, but no runaway candidate.

Best wishes for the kid for a speedy recover prior to what's next

• Love 4