Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Tennessee beats Kentucky 44-6, and the Vols/Dawgs showdown next week in Athens is on!! That will be the game of the year. On another note, Kentucky’s QB Levis is highly overrated, he’s in no way a 1st round draft pick, he’s a turnover machine.

Pitt/UNC is a good one, Pitt up 24-21 at the end of 3.

USC handling Arizona and Michigan handling Michigan St. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

UNC has scored 3 unanswered TDs and leads 42-24. Go Heels! 

The Tar Heels are an impressive team, and Drake Maye is an excellent QB. I think they have a shot at upsetting Clemson in the ACC Title Game.

10 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

The Tar Heels are an impressive team, and Drake Maye is an excellent QB. I think they have a shot at upsetting Clemson in the ACC Title Game.

Clemson has shown some c***** in the armor, but I don't see UNC beating them. But I would pick the Heels to cover the spread. 

• Love 1

WTF happened in the tunnel after the Michigan-MSU game?  There's footage on Twitter of several MSU players hitting and shoving a Michigan player, and then kicking him when he's on the ground.  Police involved now investigating the incident; they will be aided by the fact that all participants were in uniform and thus should be easily identified.  At a minimum, significant suspensions should be forthcoming by the Big Ten.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1

The Michigan player in the video was defensive back Ja’Den McBurrows, who had an ACL injury, went to the locker room ahead of the Michigan team where he was jumped by Michigan State players. Jim Harbaugh said a second Michigan player was injured as well and one of them possibly has a broken nose. MSU head coach Mel Tucker said he didn't know what happened and didn't address it with his team.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1

Mel Tucker needs to answer for this. This wasn't some player who got into a fight at a bar, this was a group of "men", under his supervision, representing the university.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Carey said:

I'd be surprised if he's still the head coach this time in a week or two

It might happen, but only if the university and its boosters are willing to eat a $60 million plus buy out.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Carey said:

I'd be surprised if he's still the head coach this time in a week or two

Mel has no control over asinine players behavior, BUT he has control over his response to that behavior.

I think that will determine if Mel still has a job.

(On a lighter note, hubby - a Squeeler fan - wonders if these guys are related to Myles Garrett. 😜)

• LOL 1

The Ninth AP Poll, which was released this afternoon, has the Top 8 remaining as they were headed into Saturday, October 29 for the most part.  To be more specific, Tennessee has move up one spot to a tie for 2nd place with Ohio State.  Oklahoma State & Wake Forest tumbled out of the Top 10 to 18th and 20, respectively.  USC moved up a spot, and UCLA is back inside the Top 10 (only team not to be ranked there last week as Wake was tied for 10th).  Kansas State had the biggest surge thanks to their 48-point shutout.  Penn State and Syracuse both fell, and while they're still in the Top 25, their playoff hopes are gone.

Kentucky, Cincinnati, and South Carolina all fell from the poll, which makes room for Liberty, Oregon State, and Central Florida.

There will be a new conference champion in both the Big-12 and the ACC.  Definitely the latter.  Baylor might have a hidden shot, but the help they'd need would result in that team, who may have a head-to-head TB, at worst tying them in the B12 standings.  Baylor does control its own destiny when they face TCU and Kansas State, but I can't see them winning both of those games.  Pittsburgh, meanwhile, would need to win out (which is very possible), but they'd also need for North Carolina to lose out, which I think is definitely not happening.  Plus, if it did, some teams, like Georgia Tech would benefit to where they'd win the Coastal due to head-to-head.  Furthermore, even if Pitt had been great again, they're not beating Clemson.

In the Pac-12, Utah could repeat, but maybe not.  Looks like it'll come down to USC, UCLA, and Utah.  In the Big 10, that big game at the horseshoe will determine everything.  And in the SEC, Alabama has some tough games at LSU and at Ole Miss.  They might not even represent the West, but even if they did, it might be curtains for them this year against Tennessee or Georgia.

When the rankings transition into the Playoff version on Tuesday, when you see a number next to a team, it'll be off of that, and no longer one's AP number.  To add to that, there will not be a tie for second place on Tuesday's CFB Playoff rankings

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I would've simply done a shoulder shrug to react to the above post.  Instead, all I can say is that's it's the business of the sport.  Can't beat Alabama, lost to Penn State, and the rest of the West is getting better (Ole Miss, LSU, plus Arkansas & Texas A&M).  That's just the West.  The East with Tennessee and Georgia (plus Kentucky) are another threat.  No need to procrastinate here

• Love 5

So the rankings are expected to be released in just over an hour from now.  In most of the past years, the top team was sorta obvious (usually Alabama).  IMO, this year is all but obvious, but will be super obvious next week.  Even if Ohio State pounds the hell out of Northwestern + Georgia/Tennessee featured in a very sloppy game, I don't think the Buckeyes can jump to the Top spot.  The previous sentence would actually be their best shot, unless they are already in the Top 2 heading into Saturday.

Last Week was the preview show.  I was about to post those, but I'd rather link to them.  Except it might be ancient history.  To summarize, Kirk & Rece had the same top 4 of OSU, Tennessee, Georgia, and Michigan while flipping with 5 & 6 (Herbie had Bama & Clemson, Davis had it flipped).  Joey G & Pollack had the same 3 & 6 (Tennessee & TCU, respectively).  Both left out Alabama from the Top 6; Joey had OSU & Georgia and Clemson & Michigan as 1&2, 4&5, David had those flipped.

Not on the ESPN CFBP show but on the Herd, top CFB analyst Joel Klatt had the same Top 6 as Herbie, while adding TCU, Oregon, Oklahoma State, and Utah as 7-10.

Oklahoma State's placement will be revealed much, much earlier, ahead of the Top 10 they're going to be excluded from.  This is assuming that the reveal is the same as 2021's reveal.  I don't think Utah cracks the Top 10.  If they don't they shouldn't be too far from it.

I could be typical & go with the Bulldogs in the top spot, but I'll be different & put Tennessee instead.  Fortunately, instead of yours truly choosing the Final 4, the bracket will be determined by the committee (as has been the custom for nearly a decade).  If I had to post a list, I'll go with the following

Top Four: Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan,

First Out (Five & Six): Clemson, TCU
Afterward: Alabama, Oregon, UCLA, Ole Miss, USC, LSU (7-10 & 11-12)

Barring a different reveal, they'll start with 21-25, then go to 16-20 & 11-15.  After that comes 7-10 in reverse.  Then the Top 6 reveal is random, which usually the likelier spot before what may be a surprise

8 hours ago, Carey said:

Tennessee is indeed Number 1.  First time in the CFB Playoff Era.  Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, Michigan, and Alabama follow

Here are the rest of the teams in the first CFB Playoff Rankings for 2022

As a tOSU fan, this is probably the right ranking.  Tennessee’s win over Bama is much better than anyone else’s.  tOSU & GA could be switched, but tOSU’s dominance of wins gave them #2.  Clemson & TTUN could also be flipped and there’d be little argument.

16 hours ago, roamyn said:

As a tOSU fan, this is probably the right ranking.  Tennessee’s win over Bama is much better than anyone else’s.  tOSU & GA could be switched, but tOSU’s dominance of wins gave them #2.  Clemson & TTUN could also be flipped and there’d be little argument.

As a Georgia fan, I agree that Tennessee earned that top spot. I am so hoping we can beat them on Saturday- should be a heck of a game.

I think it will be Ohio State and an SEC team in the championship game.

19 hours ago, roamyn said:

I would not have been surprised if Georgia & Ohio State were 2 and 3.  Georgia's big win over Oregon is rather significant as the latter has dominated ever since.  That includes wins over one of the Top 12 in UCLA, the Bruins only loss.  The Buckeyes road win at Penn State is great too.  Some might argue why they were down, but it's the biggest deal when you're leading after the scoreboard shows triple zeros post-fourth quarter.

Ohio State with a Northwestern route should move to the top following the big SEC matchup, but Georgia should not have to worry about 3rd place.  They might not ever pass OSU, but I think will based on what they do & who they face if they play a game on December 3rd

• Love 1

I think I'll enjoy late night stuff a little more, starting mid-late next week & next weekend.  I try not to get worn out over late night (West coast) stuff unless it's absolutely worth it.  Maybe I fill the tank & empty it outright for all of football in 2023.  Depends on a lot of things, but Oregon State & Washington was worth it.

Early picks right now are basically just chalk.  So from the games featuring Ohio State, Tulsa, UNC and TCU, expect some upsets.  I'm torn between Tulane and Tulsa.  Other than next week, I think Tulane can run the table.  Maybe they lose next week, but if not, it's due to them preparing for Central Florida before the conclusion of their game at Tulsa

• Love 1

Ohio St looks like complete shit so far against Northwestern- their offense can’t do anything, Stroud has been wildly inaccurate. Northwestern has won 1 game this season and they are outplaying the Buckeyes.

TCU/Texas Tech is a good one, tied at 10.

Almost forgot about Baylor.  They beat Oklahoma this afternoon

The above is not a future prediction; it's just a prediction in the past.

With the morning stuff wrapping up, time for the mid day, evening, and night picks:

Georgia, Penn State, Oregon, UCF, Kansas, Illinois, Arkansas, LSU, Kansas State, Clemson, Michigan, Utah, NC State, USC, UCLA.

Tennessee covers, I think.  LSU might cover in case they don't win outright.  I don't care about the over/under in either game (over hits regardless of the total).

I'd have picked ND over Clemson if Kelly was still there

TCU pulls away from Texas Tech and gets the win, the Horned Frogs are a really impressive team, I think they are going to the playoff.

Ohio St wins an ugly one, Buckeyes aren’t living up to my expectations, they have as much talent as anyone but they aren’t playing like it.

Gators with a win over an A&M team that has completely collapsed. 

I’m predicting Georgia to beat Tennessee, I think Georgia’s defense is dominant and their offense is kind of underrated, plus they are at home. 

• Love 2

Dawgs up 24-6 at halftime, they’ve dominated the Vols all around - their defense has pretty much completely shut down the Tennessee offensive attack and hasn’t allowed any big plays while the Dawgs offense has moved well and Bennett has completed a few long passes. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Ohio St wins an ugly one, Buckeyes aren’t living up to my expectations, they have as much talent as anyone but they aren’t playing like it.

Um, the weather was atrocious. 

That had a major effect on the ability to both run get purchase on the field,  and throw the ball accurately with the torrential downpour & wind.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Um, the weather was atrocious. 

That had a major effect on the ability to both run get purchase on the field,  and throw the ball accurately with the torrential downpour & wind.

This wasn’t the first time the Buckeyes looked underwhelming on offense. They have an immensely talented offense but have underperformed a few times this season, and this was a weak performance against a one win team, regardless of the weather.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

You know who else looks like garbage this afternoon? Ok State. I see @Carey was on top of that one! 😀

What is going on with OKST? They had a great start to the season, now they’ve imploded. Losing 48-0 to Kansas St last week, now down 24 to Kansas this week. They are usually very consistent and solid, but they are playing like shit right now. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m predicting Georgia to beat Tennessee, I think Georgia’s defense is dominant and their offense is kind of underrated, plus they are at home. 

The one thing that bugs me about Georgia is that when it comes to the SEC championship, if they're in it, they always get home field advantage.  We joke here in Bama that their stadium is our second home, but usually games like that should be played on a neutral field. 

My boss attended several Bama vs. Georgia games there and on several occasions some of the Georgia fans were extremely rude to him.  One guy even tried to run his car off of the road after a Bama win.  It was crazy.  I know those fans don't represent everybody there, but when it happens more than one time, it doesn't look good.  Just my 2 cents.  

• Love 2

I'm trying to recall a key injury that happened to the Cowboys.  Still, to get humiliated to this degree is surprising.  If they'd just lost by a combined 7-14 points in their 2 games then you'd have an excuse

• Love 1

I don't know whether Bama or LSU wins, and while I respect those pissed at TCU's lack of respect, I think I'd laugh if Tennessee got dropped to No 6, and Oregon moved ahead of the Horned Frogs.  If LSU wins, I don't know how I'd react if they were still ahead of TCU, but I wouldn't be pissed regardless

• Love 1

Georgia totally dominated Tennessee, great win for the Dawgs, they dominated at the line of scrimmage and got great pressure on Hooker and controlled the game from start to finish, and Bennett was very good, he completed 3 long passes and was very solid, he outplayed Hooker, despite people constantly criticizing him and praising Hooker. I think the Dawgs probably have CFB’s best team once again.

Kansas is bowl eligible for the first time since 2008!! Longest streak for a Power 5 school to go without a bowl.

Bama/LSU scoreless so far, and Auburn/Mississippi St is getting started, interesting that Carnell Williams is coaching Auburn, he was a running back at Auburn when I was first getting into college football when I was young (I’m younger than most posters here).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

The one thing that bugs me about Georgia is that when it comes to the SEC championship, if they're in it, they always get home field advantage.  We joke here in Bama that their stadium is our second home, but usually games like that should be played on a neutral field. 

My boss attended several Bama vs. Georgia games there and on several occasions some of the Georgia fans were extremely rude to him.  One guy even tried to run his car off of the road after a Bama win.  It was crazy.  I know those fans don't represent everybody there, but when it happens more than one time, it doesn't look good.  Just my 2 cents.  

As a Bulldog, I totally understand why other SEC teams consider that Georgia has the home field advantage for the SEC championship game. 
I personally think it is a partial advantage but not a total home field advantage because Athens is well over an hour and a half away from the Mercedes Benz Stadium (I live midway between the two) and Atlanta is a huge, diverse city with a wide variety of fans and lots of SEC schools recruit from Georgia.

As for the asshole Georgia fans, that is unacceptable but they really are the exceptions (as are assholes in other fandoms, sports and otherwise. 

But I am embarrassed as a Bulldog that any fan or alumnus acted so bad.

Just my perspective which may be different from your’s which is what makes the world go around

• Like 2
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

But I am embarrassed as a Bulldog that any fan or alumnus acted so bad.

We were just as disgusted when the Bama fan poisoned the trees at Auburn many years ago.  It's always difficult for the good fans when the bad ones do something stupid!!  Each team has a few bad apples for fans!!  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Clemson looks like garbage tonight. I have never had a lot of trust in Uiagalelei, he’s improved a lot this season but he still isn’t a top level QB and I’m not sure if Clemson has the talent on offense to get to the playoff. 

• Love 3