Type keyword(s) to search

College Football

Minneapple
  • Start Topic

Middle Tennessee St beats Miami - every year we hear a load of bullshit about how the Canes are back and will be a dangerous team, and every year it’s just that - bullshit. Miami is mediocre once again this year and they are quickly become a has-been program, they haven’t been a title contender in almost 2 decades, and they are just not relevant anymore. They’ve almost become like Nebraska. I’m not sure why they’ve faded away, they are in a great recruiting area, have great facilities and tradition and Miami is a great city with a lot to do (I live in southern Florida) but they just can’t get back to relevancy.

Tennessee beats Florida in a thriller - both offenses were impressive, but the Vols have a better team and unlike Miami I think they are back after not being relevant for a decade, Hendon Hooker is an excellent QB and I like the Vols fast paced, high octane offense. Gators looked better today than the last couple of weeks but they are going to be a middle of the road team once again.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

It definitely will, I don’t think I’d seen that before

I’ve never seen it either, that was bizarre. A good game between Arkansas and A&M, that Arkansas fumble that A&M returned for a TD is what changed the game. A&M has bounced back nicely after the App St loss.

Ohio St clobbering Wisconsin, CJ Stroud is looking like clearly the best QB in CFB and the Heisman front runner.

Alabama also clobbering Vandy.

Kansas St up on Oklahoma 27-20, could be a big upset.

The 4th AP Poll (NOT POOL), which was released this afternoon, has the Top 5 remaining as they were headed into Saturday, September 24.  The bottom half of the Top 10 (save for Oklahoma State) moved up, mainly due to Oklahoma's tumble down 12 spots from 6 to 18.  Penn State is just outside the Top 10 (at 11), and Oregon has basically recovered & is at 13.  Arkansas fell from 10 to 20; while Texas A&M had the biggest move up to 17.  That's from teams that were ranked in the preceding AP Poll.

Texas, Florida, and Miami, schools that have won the title at least once in the past quarter century, all fell from the poll.

Despite posting the update for every week, I think the ratings are sorta meaningless.  Well, they are meaningful until November hits.  A lot of it is legacy-based, but more than not, they are fair.  For instance, Pittsburgh was on the way to a Top 10 or Top 15 ranking before losing in OT against Tennessee (only loss for the 2021 ACC Champions).  A home loss, but one where they lost their QB and nearly their backup QB.  The Vols, an SEC team, is undefeated & knocked off a pretty decent team in Florida.  PITT nearly dropped out of the rankings, in fact, they dropped again after a win (courtesy of a decent Texas A&M win who was ranked just below after Week 2, at 24.  No movement for the Panthers after a big win on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Oregon was a Top Ten team, and got booted outright after a road loss to Georgia (yeah I know it was ugly).  That was their only loss; no need to drop them out over the reigning National Champions.  They are back up to 13.

Still a lot of football left, but it is a combination of results, tradition, and legacy

Edited by Carey
The Hyperlink
  • Useful 3

Good week of games - Bama/Arkansas and NCST/Clemson are the best ones, also Oklahoma St/Baylor, Kentucky/Ole Miss and Wake Forest/Florida St are big. I love that we have a late night Friday night game, Washington/UCLA, to get the weekend started.

• Love 5

TCU, Iowa, Ole Miss, Minnesota, Utah, Florida State, Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Iowa State, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Clemson, Georgia, Pittsburgh, USC, Oregon, Cincinnati for Week 5 picks.  I honestly do not think Ohio State is going to cover.  They should come close; Rutgers sucks, but it's still a Power 5 & conference team.  I'll take the over whatever it is.

As a petty hedge, though not really since I'm picking Iowa straight up, if they lose, it shouldn't be by more 9 points (with a 10.5 line).  I'll take the under whatever it is.

Oklahoma, who's favored by 6, loses outright.  A push for me in terms of the O/U, unless it's not a round number (in which case, Over for me)

I think Kentucky keeps it close (7.5).  Ole Miss is still a decent team, and who knows how high Kentucky can go.  Under 54.5 for the game, but I see 45-50 points here

• Useful 1

Geez, another serious looking head and/or neck injury. OU's Damond Harmon was down for almost half an hour as they worked to stabilize him. I saw him move his arms as they carted him off but I couldn't tell if he was moving his legs. Several of his teammates were in tears; I forget sometimes they are still just kids.

What is the deal with such violent injuries lately?

• Sad 5

Wish I knew, emma.  There has been a ton of effort toward player safety.  While it's not perfect, things are better.  However, football is still a violent sport, and there are no guarantees.

Grown men have been brought to tears over similar stuff.  Yeah they're kids, but it doesn't matter what age you are.  When the lives of fraternity, the lives of someone close is affected, that leads to emotion no matter who you are.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Drat it, I was hoping AR/AL would be competitive. Everytime I check in, Alabama has scored again. Oh well.

Well Bryce Young is injured, so it might get competitive

Alabama has imploded, Arkansas has cut their lead to 11 and they just botched a punt and Arkansas has it 1st and goal. Their backup QB Milroe hasn’t been impressive, and I’m not sure if they can win this game with him. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Alabama has imploded, Arkansas has cut their lead to 11 and they just botched a punt and Arkansas has it 1st and goal. Their backup QB Milroe hasn’t been impressive, and I’m not sure if they can win this game with him. 

Young came back in for one play which I thought was idiotic since they were up by 21 at the time. Did Young going out cause the defense to forget how to play as well? Arkansas has played terribly in every 3rd quarter until now. This has turned into a good game. 

• Love 1

Final stuff for the late slate:

I didn't pick LSU/Auburn.  The Tigers of Auburn shouldn't lose by more than 7 points, but that's their moral victory.  The Tigers of LSU will not surpass the Over, and even with support from the 2010 National Champions, 44.5 plus doesn't happen.

The spread is still Clemson favored by 7, likely the final one before kickoff.  The Tigers of Clemson will cover that easily; heck, they'll get the over by themselves.

Ditto to Georgia.  30.5 for the spread is not enough.

USC is favored by 25.5.  I actually don't think they cover, but it'll be close.  Over should hit I believe.

Oregon will win IMO, but Stanford will cover.  I'll go with the under 62.5

• Love 2

Bama pulls ahead again and should get the win.

Kansas beats Iowa St and goes to 5-0! No one saw this coming, suddenly Kansas is a good team.

Oklahoma St beats Baylor in another good Big 12 showdown. 

• Love 2

Mississippi St beats A&M by 18. I’m not surprised, A&M was heavily overrated coming in to the season and Jimbo just isn’t a great coach. For some reason I’ve never liked Jimbo, he seems like a douchebag to me, or A&M in general, so I’m glad to see them lose. Mississippi St could easily be unbeaten right now, they could be a threat to pull off a couple more upsets, Mike Leach runs an offense that’s fun to watch but unpredictable.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

Their backup QB Milroe hasn’t been impressive, and I’m not sure if they can win this game with him. 

I beg to differ, given that he ran the ball for 77 yards.  That was a big momentum shift in the game.  

1 hour ago, Court said:

Young came back in for one play which I thought was idiotic since they were up by 21 at the time.

Bama doesn't normally pull their main QB in the second quarter.  You saw how quickly Arkansas came back on us after several blunders by our team.  We take nothing for granted.  Saban isn't arrogant enough to put the backup QB into a game like this that soon in the game.  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ChitChat said:

I beg to differ, given that he ran the ball for 77 yards.  That was a big momentum shift in the game.  

Bama doesn't normally pull their main QB in the second quarter.  You saw how quickly Arkansas came back on us after several blunders by our team.  We take nothing for granted.  Saban isn't arrogant enough to put the backup QB into a game like this that soon in the game.  

I posted that about Milroe just before the long run he pulled off - that was an impressive run and Bama got back on track after that, but up until that point he hadn’t looked good. Bama played a bad 3rd quarter but got back on track for the win, but they will need Young healthy in order to go through the season unbeaten IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Bama played a bad 3rd quarter but got back on track for the win, but they will need Young healthy in order to go through the season unbeaten IMO. 

For sure. They've got some tough games ahead of them.  With all of the pre-game hype, we all thought that Arkansas was going to a tougher game than how it turned out.  No disrespect to them, but I wasn't too impressed with what I saw.  Bama made some stupid mistakes, for sure, but I was expecting more from Arkansas, given the hype.  

• Love 3
Just now, ChitChat said:

For sure. They've got some tough games ahead of them.  With all of the pre-game hype, we all thought that Arkansas was going to a tougher game than how it turned out.  No disrespect to them, but I wasn't too impressed with what I saw.  Bama made some stupid mistakes, for sure, but I was expecting more from Arkansas, given the hype.  

Yeah Arkansas was disappointing, they were coming off another disappointing game against A&M so I’m not sure if they are overrated or just had a lousy day, but I expected more as well, I thought Arkansas was the 3rd best team in the SEC coming into the season behind Bama and Georgia. And who knows, they may finish that way, it’s a long way to go and nothing is for certain in football, especially not in the SEC.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Georgia down 10 to Mizzou at half! Could be a huge upset, the Dawgs have looked lousy.

Clemson up 3 on NCST just before half, good game between 2 good teams. It’s notable how much Uiagalelei has improved this season. NCST has a very good team and I could see them winning this game.

I’m a college football fanatic and a GA Bulldog who woke up so excited today about a great day of good matchups, only to discover at 10:30 Eastern that Dish Network had dropped all of Disney (including all ESPN and SEC Network) silently at 2:52 am thinking no football fan would realize this had happened.

It took 1.5 hours before hubby and I figured out how to switch from my basic Hulu account to a Hulu with life TV including ESPN plus, only to discover that ESPNplus did not actually include ESPN’s basic channels.

Once we go it all figured out, we were able to watch one game at a time (vs. Picture in Picture and 3 receivers).

All that effort to see GA really, really, really suck tonight!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I’m a college football fanatic and a GA Bulldog who woke up so excited today about a great day of good matchups, only to discover at 10:30 Eastern that Dish Network had dropped all of Disney (including all ESPN and SEC Network) silently at 2:52 am thinking no football fan would realize this had happened.

It took 1.5 hours before hubby and I figured out how to switch from my basic Hulu account to a Hulu with life TV including ESPN plus, only to discover that ESPNplus did not actually include ESPN’s basic channels.

Once we go it all figured out, we were able to watch one game at a time (vs. Picture in Picture and 3 receivers).

It's now a one TD game with just over a quarter to go. They could still pull it off. But the overall shitty performance should drop them out of #1.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Stats Queen said:

I was so angry when I woke up and saw that. I'm a Longhorn in Georgia and this is annoying. Luckily my team was on Fox sports tonight but I'd like to be watching the end of the UGA game.

Putting Young back in when he suffered a shoulder injury even for one play is not worth it. He risked losing him for the season instead of one game. 

• Love 1

Georgia with a comeback win against Missouri, Dawgs weren’t nearly as dominant tonight but they managed to play a nice second half and get the win.

Clemson beats NCST 30-20, back to back big wins for Clemson, they should cruise to the ACC Title Game now.

• Love 2

The 5th AP Poll (as opposed to pool, as I misspelled it a couple weeks ago), released over an hour ago as of this post, has the Top 5 remaining as Top 5 teams.  This time, and this year (ahead of a possible SEC Title Game clash), Alabama regained the Top Spot over Georgia. 

Oklahoma State, sorta obtaining revenge over Baylor, moves up within the Top 10.  Penn State & Ole Miss enter the Top Ten, following the former's struggle against Northwestern and the latter basically swapping places with Kentucky.  USC & Tennessee remain where they are.

A lot of movement within the middle of the rankings (11-20), and the bottom five within the Top 25 feature a third of a dozen teams new to the Rankings (Syracuse, Mississippi, Cincinnati, and LSU).

Reigning conference champs Baylor & Pittsburgh finally fell out along with Florida & Texas A&M.  Not surprising, PITT was the only team that received zero votes among the teams that fell out.  Maybe don't lose to Georgia Tech at home.  The weather wasn't a big excuse as Penn State found a way to win, and they were dealing with tough conditions.  I probably should've stayed away from that game since the sad part of G-Tech firing everybody before the game meant a chance for G-Tech to regroup.  Of course, Nebraska had a chance against Oklahoma but barfed, which is typical given the fact that I picked the Cornhuskers (unlike Georgia Tech), and only after that do the Sooners fall flat on their faces.

For the second consecutive year, Texas A&M falls down below Earth as they "looked ahead" toward Alabama in a primetime game where a win would wreck the Tide toward championship success.  It's a current A&M team against Bama again.  The only difference is that it's in Tuscaloosa, though that's offset by Young's injury

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think I was surprised about Paul Chryst's dismissal, but only for a second.  It must have been tough for Wisconsin & Chryst to part ways.  That's one of their own.  It's more probable than not that the Badgers were going to finish with a winning record, and BTW, that's been the case since Paul was running the program.  FWIW, they weren't going to beat Ohio State this year.  They weren't going to beat Michigan either, or Penn State.  That's in reference to the B1G Title Game.  They're okay, one of the better programs.  Unlike Michigan, TPTB did not stick with their guy to see if they could make it happen.

Doesn't help losing to Illinois & the former coach.  I don't think it was that big of a deal since the teams that blew them out are decent.  I don't know or think they're going to do much better in Wisconsin than Paul Chryst, but when things get stale, change is inevitable

• Love 2

I basically forgot there was a game last night.  It wasn't a big deal with Central Florida routing another lesser team.  I don't know or think there's anything tonight for some reason.  Maybe on the Division II level; tomorrow may be a bigger deal for this sixth week

• Love 1

A lot of great games today.  From "The Oldest Rivalry in the South" to A&M and Bama, it'll help toward skipping my second consecutive Sunday of NFL action.

Week 6 Picks:

Texas, Michigan, Tennessee, Kansas, Cincinnati, Georgia, UCLA, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Clemson, USC, BYU, Iowa State, Kentucky, Illinois, Wake Forest, Alabama, NC State, Arizona

Texas favored by 7.5.  65.5 O/U.  Over barely hits, but I think the Sooners can cover

Michigan might obtain the over by themselves, I think they get 75% there.  It’s still a conference opponent; but if they shut them out it probably will not happen.  Indiana is undefeated at home (albeit against non-elite programs), so I think they’ll have some success.  Anyway, Michigan finds a way to cover the 22.5 and with an 58.5 O/U, the over hits easily.

I believe this may definitely be the first time CBS had a primetime game on the same night Notre Dame had a home primetime game (as the home team in Vegas).  Could be several factors to that