Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Kicks Get Chicks

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

So are they deliberately aiming to make me hate Sam and like Tory? Wow, crazy I couldn't stand Tory at first.

At this point Amanda is (as always) the only likable LaRusso. 

It's funny they kept talking about needing girls on Eagle Fang and I was like hey, why not get Aisha back?  Then Sam goes to visit her, I didn't realize she was that far away.

Debate chick is awesome.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So are they deliberately aiming to make me hate Sam and like Tory? Wow, crazy I couldn't stand Tory at first.

I still don’t like Sam or Tory, so it would be nice if they brought back Aisha or made the debate one not obnoxious. 

Not many people to like in this show. 

• Love 4

I like Demetri's self-awareness of their "Rudy" status. And "Oh, I say a lot of things. Which tends to be a polarizing attribute of mine." If anyone's gonna be a little too meta, it should be him. 

I will always enjoy the adventures of Miguel and Johnny featuring Miguel's embarrassment at the inappropriate things he says. 

I like Amanda's continued kindness and empathy for Tory. While she has acted liked a complete psycho, she has a backstory that makes a lot of her behavior make sense. The way she cares for her brother and mom is her best quality, and I believe that concern for keeping custody of her brother after her mom's death would motivate her to go back to school even if it meant asking a favor of the LaRussos. 

It was good to see Aisha again. I was mentally yelling her name every time they brought up the girl fighter dilemma. 

Mary Mouser can not pull off the line "I'm coming for you, bitch."

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's funny they kept talking about needing girls on Eagle Fang and I was like hey, why not get Aisha back?  Then Sam goes to visit her, I didn't realize she was that far away.

I was hoping that they would bring Aisha into the Eagle Fang fold, but it makes sense given the rationale to her previously being written out was that her parents wanted her to escape karate drama that she wouldn't become an EF.

While it was good to see her, it seems a little psycho for Sam to drive two hours to have a convo with her that could just as easily been a phone call, a FaceTime, a Zoom meeting or whatever the kids are doing these days. And it would have been nice if the besties talk was more mutual and less about propping Sam up. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 5

I was also thinking Aisha should be the girl! I'm happy they brought her back but they should've really brought her back. I never understood why she wasn't in the show last season and this felt more like a make good to the actress.

• Love 5

Okay, Terry Silver is kind of an (unnecessary) ass here towards Daniel. I still like the way they've shown his character overall, though, so I'm chalking this up to the general asshattery all of the main characters show to people they've had conflicts with in the past.

ETA: Agree with the anti-Sam posts. Did she not actually learn the lesson that Aisha was trying to teach her (not to mention dad and mom)?

And as much as I appreciated the Aisha scene: a) could she not have more directly addressed the Tori situation (considering they were bffs with Cobra Kai for a few months)? and b) couldn't they have brought her back to actually complete the bullying storyline they began in S1 with her instead of using the new "Kenny" kid as  a stand-in?

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • Love 7

I liked the whole nonsense of the 'board meeting'. Worth it for 'you been divorced three times George!'

Oh man, "Girls, girls, girls," Johnny. No, no, no no no. 

On 12/31/2021 at 2:02 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

To a point. She didn't need to pull the 'so you're knocking now?' She's an adult. I think Sam was correct in calling them all out. They should have put her in therapy when Tory cut her up and she might not be this hostile. Telling her to just cool out isn't fair either. 

Although, "I'm coming for you, bitch" is a fair bookend.

On 12/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, bettername2come said:

I like Demetri's self-awareness of their "Rudy" status.

That was a great quip. I liked the scenes with just him and Hawk. It's like they haven't been those friends for a while. 

On 12/31/2021 at 4:56 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

While it was good to see her, it seems a little psycho for Sam to drive two hours to have a convo with her that could just as easily been a phone call, a FaceTime, a Zoom meeting or whatever the kids are doing these days.

This isn't really a show that takes place in our reality though. Johnny would have never been able to get on school grounds either. 

• Love 6

Anyone else notice how Daniel's son, who was more or less invisible last season, was trotted out to cyberbully that one kid and has now disappeared again?

I was on the debate team in high school. Our debates never took place in auditoriums because nobody else cared enough to show up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I was on the debate team in high school. Our debates never took place in auditoriums because nobody else cared enough to show up.

Did debate all 4 years in high school, and yeah, the only debate rounds that would take place in an auditorium like that would be semis and finals, since you'd have the teams that haven't left wanting to check them out.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

Well, maybe if you made it a habit of walking over to your opponent and ripping up their book with your bare hands more people would have been interested. 

• LOL 18
4 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Did debate all 4 years in high school, and yeah, the only debate rounds that would take place in an auditorium like that would be semis and finals, since you'd have the teams that haven't left wanting to check them out.

Debate, karate they do go big in the Valley.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Raja said:

Debate, karate they do go big in the Valley.

No kidding, I was on debate too, this was all set up, but then again to see how both the Middle School and High School run things from the previous 3 seasons it doesn't surprise me. Just like how Kenny's locker was filled with all that crap and NO ONE saw it until it was on Tik Tok? You could see the damn camera in the corner. 

• Love 1

"What about non-binary and gender fluid?"

"Fluids are important." 

Johnny trying to recruit the young women was both gross and hilarious.

Hawk  looks better with his new haircut.

The new format for the All Valley Tournament actually seems realistic, In most Karate tournments there are Kata and Kumite (sparring) categories, as well seperate competetions for women.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 5

The only thing that surprised me was the bit where Johnny said one of the Eagle Fang guys should wear a wig and pretend to be a girl. What surprised me was he didn't just say that one of them should identify as a girl and then looks wouldn't matter. 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Johnny is no where in this century ready to grasp that concept. 

I agree the only student that I can think of who would be ready to take that avenue ( just say that one of them should identify as a girl and then looks wouldn't matter) to cheat is Dimitri, and he is with Miyagi-Do

On 1/2/2022 at 10:49 PM, methodwriter85 said:

The Ladybugs reference was mint. My god, talk about movies that could NEVER EVER get made now.

That reference and your comment made me laugh so hard....I recently saw this was on Prime and I hadn't watched it since I was a kid so I put it on. I had to shut it off within the first 10 mins because my 11 year son was in the room. I forgot how bad that movie was. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Johnny is no where in this century ready to grasp that concept. 

Grasp the actual concept, no way. But I can see Johnny hearing about it and in his mind it becomes, if a boy says he is a girl then he is a girl and everyone just goes along with it. And then him trying to use that poor understanding to get one of the guys in his team register in the girls competition.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:49 AM, methodwriter85 said:

The Ladybugs reference was mint. My god, talk about movies that could NEVER EVER get made now.

@twoodsI was trying to remember if Johnny was in Ladybugs and of course it was Jonathan Brandis.  I was obsessed with him back then.  Of course Johnny was in Back to School (I think?) with Rodney Dangerfield and Rodney was in Ladybugs... I feel like the reason the movies were so crass was possibly Rodney.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

@twoodsI was trying to remember if Johnny was in Ladybugs and of course it was Jonathan Brandis.  I was obsessed with him back then.  Of course Johnny was in Back to School (I think?) with Rodney Dangerfield and Rodney was in Ladybugs... I feel like the reason the movies were so crass was possibly Rodney.  

The only movie outside the KK franchise where I've seen William "Johnny Lawrence" Zabka was as the protagonist in a low-budget martial arts film called Shootfighter, also starring Martin Kove as the bad guy and frequent martial arts villain Bolo Yeung as that film's rough Miyagi stand-in.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

The only movie outside the KK franchise where I've seen William "Johnny Lawrence" Zabka was as the protagonist in a low-budget martial arts film called Shootfighter, also starring Martin Kove as the bad guy and frequent martial arts villain Bolo Yeung as that film's rough Miyagi stand-in.

He was also Jack, Audrey’s boyfriend on European Vacation!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

He was basically the 80s teen go-to villain. The movie I most remember him from is Just One of the Guys.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

The movie I most remember him from is Just One of the Guys

I'm glad to see this masterpiece mentioned; it's what I most remember William Zabka from outside of the Karate Kid franchise. I've also seen him in a sort-of Christian film called Where Hope Grows (it was fine, except it began to get on my nerves that everybody kept referring to the main character as "Produce"). And watched the short film that he co-wrote/co-produced, called Most, a variation on that train-track dilemma story but actually really well-made (Johnny's an Oscar nominee!).

• Love 4
On 1/1/2022 at 11:00 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I liked the whole nonsense of the 'board meeting'. Worth it for 'you been divorced three times George!'

I would watch a whole work com about the ridiculous adventures of the board. "God help us all." 

I kept hoping for Aisha to show up, and I finally got my wish. Johnny trying to recruit girls was hilariously cringe, especially with the soundtrack. Johnny is like an 80's version of unfrozen caveman lawyer sometimes, he really needs to get out more. 

A Ladybugs reference? Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...

"You might want to get better security considering THE KARATE WAR!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3

How is Johnny not on some sort of watch list by now? Lol. In the normal world, that dad would have returned with security.

Tori's aunt is horrid. I can respect her trying to get help to try to keep her little brother, but she still needs to show some remorse. She's worried about the consequences of her actions affecting her family, but I don't think she feels bad for fighting and hurting people either. 

Amanda was right in asking her to get some (non-karate related) help. I don't think she's irredeemable, but she needs more awareness. Like Eli regretting his past actions and knowing he was acting like an ass. But it will be a battle when she's surrounded by Kreese and Silver, egging her on.

CK on one shoulder, Amanda on the other.

Sam was right to have anger and feel like her parents weren't considering her feelings either, sorry. Why should she trust Tori to leave her alone? She could also benefit from some non-karate therapy though. Yeah, everyone expects her to take the high road, but it's not like Tori has approached her with an apology or peace offering either.

Johnny's influence on Sam is definitely showing.

Good to see Aisha again, if just for a scene.

I like debate girl.

Daniel is a little delusional about winning at this point with his group of Rudys. He's lucky Eli returned.

Daniel seemed to be getting through a little to Robby, so of course Silver had to be right there. Sigh.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Daniel seemed to be getting through a little to Robby, so of course Silver had to be right there. Sigh.

Robby just has anger to work through, thanks to his dad leaving, and his mom being a wreck.  Till living with the LaRussos, he didn't have a stable home life, and things were looking up with his relationship with the LaRussos, and him and Johnny starting to patch things up.  Then the school fight happened, and he broke Miguel's back.  When he gets released from jail, he sees Daniel and Johnny arguing, instead of both being there to pick him up and on good terms.

He's not a complete believer in Kreese's Cobra Kai, at his heart he's a good kid who does have anger to work through, thanks to a terrible home life for the majority of his life.

• Love 1
On 1/10/2022 at 3:47 PM, Jediknight said:

Robby just has anger to work through, thanks to his dad leaving, and his mom being a wreck.  Till living with the LaRussos, he didn't have a stable home life, and things were looking up with his relationship with the LaRussos, and him and Johnny starting to patch things up.  Then the school fight happened, and he broke Miguel's back.  When he gets released from jail, he sees Daniel and Johnny arguing, instead of both being there to pick him up and on good terms.

He's not a complete believer in Kreese's Cobra Kai, at his heart he's a good kid who does have anger to work through, thanks to a terrible home life for the majority of his life.

When he gets back, he sees them arguing, then sees that Miguel has stepped into his shoes with all three important people in his life - Johnny, Daniel and Sam and feels completely betrayed. So he lashes out at all of them, and the best way he knows to hurt them all is to side with Cobra Kai. This is after Daniel has immediately judged him for Sam getting drunk, and massively overreacted (as he is wont to do).

Anger is easier to process than the complexities of guilt over hurting Miguel, ghosting Sam and blaming Daniel and Johnny for him ending up in juvie, then coming back to see that it seems like everyone just carried on without him.

I believe him when he said he doesn't trust Kreese or Silver, and that he plans to use them to his own advantage, I'm just not sure he's smart enough to do that and get away unscathed. It should be clear by now that this karate war will only be over when enough people just refuse to participate any more, and Robby seems like the prime candidate to stand up and say, 'fuck this nonsense.'

• Love 3
On 1/15/2022 at 7:27 AM, Danny Franks said:believe him when he said he doesn't trust Kreese or Silver, and that he plans to use them to his own advantage, I'm just not sure he's smart enough to do that and get away unscathed. It should be clear by now that this karate war will only be over when enough people just refuse to participate any more, and Robby seems like the prime candidate to stand up and say, 'fuck this nonsense.'

There’s so much Robby doesn’t know about Kreese and Silver; things that not even Johnny knew about until now. He will definitely get outsmarted by Silver if he tries “using” him.

Robby seems one of the most mature of any students from the dojos. Consider that he is already teaching classes and taking on a student (Kenny).

I predict the Cobra Kai curse will get Kenny too, no matter how good Robby’s intentions are. Kreese and Silver will turn him aggressive. Miguel and Hawk went from nice, bullied kids to aggressive and violent in the first three seasons before Johnny realized the teachings hurt them and started righting the ship.

On 12/31/2021 at 4:02 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Debate chick is awesome.

Yay, Aisha! Bring her back! And yes, debate girl is great.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:53 PM, bettername2come said:

I will always enjoy the adventures of Miguel and Johnny featuring Miguel's embarrassment at the inappropriate things he says. 

I like Amanda's continued kindness and empathy for Tory. While she has acted liked a complete psycho, she has a backstory that makes a lot of her behavior make sense. The way she cares for her brother and mom is her best quality, and I believe that concern for keeping custody of her brother after her mom's death would motivate her to go back to school even if it meant asking a favor of the LaRussos. 

LOVED the montage of Johnny inappropriately talking to the teenage girls. The scene at the gym with the dad was hilarious.

I like the introduced nuance to Tory's story. (And the scene with Aunt Met--wow.) If she can grow and refrain from going nuclear at the slightest provocation, she can grow on me. But still, Sam has every right to despise her.

On 12/31/2021 at 6:56 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I was hoping that they would bring Aisha into the Eagle Fang fold, but it makes sense given the rationale to her previously being written out was that her parents wanted her to escape karate drama that she wouldn't become an EF.

While it was good to see her, it seems a little psycho for Sam to drive two hours to have a convo with her that could just as easily been a phone call, a FaceTime, a Zoom meeting or whatever the kids are doing these days. 

If Sam visiting Aisha means we get to actually see her, fine by me!

On 1/2/2022 at 12:00 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think Sam was correct in calling them all out. They should have put her in therapy when Tory cut her up and she might not be this hostile. Telling her to just cool out isn't fair either. 

The board montage was great as well. "God help us all" or whatever the last line was.

Exactly. Everyone has a point here. Amanda is trying to do the right thing but Tory maimed Sam for God's sake.

• Love 1