Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E99: Matchmaking in Boston

• Start Topic

A behind the scenes look at how the Married at First Sight experts matched the five new couples who will meet at the altar for Season 14 in Boston. The ten lucky singles are then surprised with the news that they will be getting married in two weeks.

Airs Wednesday, Dec 29 at 8:00PM EST.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Pastor Cal finds out Mark has cats and sneers at this and states that he aligns himself with anyone--on the show or off--that doesn't like cats.

But Alyssa rescues dogs and she's sweet and wonderful!  She's a humanitarian!

Buzzer sound!  Sorry, Dr. Cal, your bias is showing.  You've been cancelled .  We need a new judge!!

(Yes, I'm kidding,)    

Not sure why the pilates ad has jumped into my comment but it refuses to leave.

18310375282547671908.gif

Edited by rebel2u
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

Bet Noi will love finding out her husband is unemployed. Thanks, Pepper, Cal, whichever.

Ugh, was it the tattoo guy, chiseling furniture without a shirt, who said he wanted dinner on the table when he got home.

Maybe I should wait for San Diego? Boston is already in the ditch.

They matched this once-rejected guy with a woman? WTAF?

A391A67C-3EF8-4EAC-9828-A6236C5ABC87.jpeg

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 3

Oy vey, what a hot mess already.  The "experts" seriously need to be replaced.  They keep making the same mistakes over and over again.  Jasmina says she doesn't like a guy that is noncommunicative, so who do they match her with?  A guy who says his family says he is not very expressive.  Then Cal in his voiceover says she can "balance him out".  After so many times matching people that way they should know based on experience that this rarely works out.  Lindsay was obviously cast to be the next Elizabeth.  She and Mark have very familiar faces.  I live an hour and a half from Boston.

This whole episode I was sitting there going "yeah, right, sure".  The experts pat themselves on the back saying they may have a "perfect 5 out of 5".  With a dismal record like they have they are delusional about their ability to match people.  Every season they make the same stupid comments about how both people of a couple are big on family or driven in their careers.  Those things don't mean squat toward compatibility, they should know that based on the previous 13 seasons where that didn't matter.  Everyone wants those things.  Being compatible is about much more than that.  They are so stupid, seriously we need new experts.

3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Where is everyone?  I don’t think they realized this show was on tonight.  Tomorrow night also.

Maybe all those people that were threatening to bail after last season did!  It's barely been a month since last season ended and everyone was burned out by it.  This show is oversaturating itself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Too soon to return, MAFS. But I'm watching anyway.

Also, Pastor House-Band can get out of here with that sexist twaddle.

My first take: I don't remember anyone's names except Katina-who-dropped-an-R and someone called Shark.

I like horse girls, so I'm wishing her well with Realtor Houseband.

And how about Dr Pepper coming in hot with the costumes! The apron was all right, but who thought jodphurs would be a good look on a short, squat middle-aged lady?

Edited by kikicat
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm beyond over the Abe Lincoln Beard look, no matter how groomed and glistening....Mike.

I predict Jasmina will be far more "social"---as in, look out, bachelorette party!---than her calmness indicated in her Pastor Cal interview. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 1

Are they not even trying now? I understand that the pandemic has changed the job situation, but many marriages sink due to financial strain. And this is when people know each other. If the experts were actually interested in workable marriages, they would at least ask prospective partners if they were cool with marrying someone who is unemployed.

Also: Mark's support for his mom and grandma is great, but that doesn't mean that his wife, as a nurse, would automatically be on board with his caregiving responsibilities. The experts need to ask, not assume. Many healthcare workers are burned out because of the pandemic.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Oy vey, what a hot mess already.  The "experts" seriously need to be replaced.  They keep making the same mistakes over and over again.  Jasmina says she doesn't like a guy that is noncommunicative, so who do they match her with?  A guy who says his family says he is not very expressive.  Then Cal in his voiceover says she can "balance him out".  After so many times matching people that way they should know based on experience that this rarely works out.  Lindsay was obviously cast to be the next Elizabeth.  She and Mark have very familiar faces.  I live an hour and a half from Boston.

This whole episode I was sitting there going "yeah, right, sure".  The experts pat themselves on the back saying they may have a "perfect 5 out of 5".  With a dismal record like they have they are delusional about their ability to match people.  Every season they make the same stupid comments about how both people of a couple are big on family or driven in their careers.  Those things don't mean squat toward compatibility, they should know that based on the previous 13 seasons where that didn't matter.  Everyone wants those things.  Being compatible is about much more than that.  They are so stupid, seriously we need new experts.

Maybe all those people that were threatening to bail after last season did!  It's barely been a month since last season ended and everyone was burned out by it.  This show is oversaturating itself.

This show is backwards.  In real life, you’re supposed to fall in love, then get married.  At least you know a little what the person is all about.  The “ so call “ experts try to figure out beforehand who should go together, and why.  Then, they hope they will possibly fall in love.  Then, they probably will have a divorce against them.  So stupid.  Forget the whole wedding thing, and just meet up and see where and if it goes somewhere.  Still, everyone loves this tabacle, like me, lol.  Lindsey and Mark will probably kill each other.  This should be fun at least.  She must have an over active thyroid.  Some of these girls are very accomplished.  Why do they need a matchmaker?  They must be nuts or something.  I still like the weddings tho.  Can’t wait for tonight, hehe.😀

• Love 3
3 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

I don't know if I'm up for this season, you guys. The previews already look dreadful, and the experts seem to have given up any pretense of matching people for compatibility. I won't write it off yet, but I can't take another shitshow season.

yeah, and them saying they think they have a 5 out of 5 success with this crop.........; yeah, right

will pass on crappy kevin and the wannabe crew of random women who predict how things will go

may just watch the weddings and quit after that

• Love 5
12 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Where is everyone?  I don’t think they realized this show was on tonight.  Tomorrow night also.

8:00 came and I was saying to myself--what I am going to do on a Wednesday night with no Survivor AND no MAFS?  Then I checked the Uverse and it said a MAFS was set to record at 8:00!   viewing prayers answered.   

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

So far, just sticking with reading your comments and plan to not watch this season. I don't believe that the "experts" have anything to do with selecting people - I think that is all production. The experts may be the ones who have to match the ones who were selected, but that is their only involvement, I believe. The fact that they are still trying to "balance" people with opposites just shows that. If the comments get any different than they have been, I may tune in. But I will still refuse to watch anything with Kevin Frazier or his panel of who-cares-what-you-think media whores. I might check in to the new Unfiltered show once to see the new host.

13 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I think many of us were well aware that it had started again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Mrs Welshman and I have given up on this shit show for now. May sneak a peek once they actually get to the altar but all of the before & after crap we can do without.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, buttersister said:

The mayhem begins with the “experts’” lobotomies all healed up—they look and act like they’ve forgotten how crappy they are at selecting and matching people.

I have not.😂😂😂🤨

Most people wouldn’t be able to hang onto their jobs with such poor performances!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TVJunkee said:

8:00 came and I was saying to myself--what I am going to do on a Wednesday night with no Survivor AND no MAFS?  Then I checked the Uverse and it said a MAFS was set to record at 8:00!   viewing prayers answered.   

And people thought I was nuts when I told them it was on last night.  I think they put it on the last minute.  Tonight too.  I wonder why.  Weird.  Everyone hates it, but yet we watch, lol.  Addictive for some reason.  They all look like they have it together, but then the crazy comes out.

• Love 2

So, we've got a dude who auditioned for a previous season, HOW many seasons/years ago??? And, he's still single and still auditioning.  If the judges don't recognize this red flag there is absolutely no hope.  I don't care how well he comes across and how nice he appears to be, there's something wrong there. 

Several seasons ago there was a good-looking dude who lost his job just before the wedding because he was going to be on the show.  That (among other issues) did not go over well with the bride.  He's the one who eventually hooked up with one of the former experts. 

I received an email from Lifetime that this show was on LAST week, then a correction.  So I was ready.  😉

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

So, we've got a dude who auditioned for a previous season, HOW many seasons/years ago??? And, he's still single and still auditioning.  If the judges don't recognize this red flag there is absolutely no hope.  I don't care how well he comes across and how nice he appears to be, there's something wrong there. 

I LOVE that you are saying he AUDITIONED for this show instead of "applied" to the show. You are exactly right - it is all an audition for a reality TV show and not even slightly meant as a true matchmaking show. That makes me sad, but also more resolved than ever to stop watching. (And to keep reading the comments!)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Booger666 said:

Don’t know why, but I get a bad vibe from Alyssa.

Was it just me or did they hide some of their ages?  Was curious about Noi and Steve cause Pepper said he wanted someone younger, but didn’t see their ages.

33 and 38 according to one article.

Olajuwan is a college friend of Jephte?  Hmm...... Jephte was before I watched.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

To add to the list of things that the “experts” ignored in their matchmaking…I may have the exact wording wrong, but the woman who works in animal rescue, responded that she didn’t care if her partner was ambitious—just that he was fulfilled by his work. The “experts” then repeatedly said that she and the realtor would make a good couple because they both wanted someone who was ambitious and would make a power couple. 

The woman who they fixed up with the trainer was flirting with Pastor Cal —no wonder he likes her. 

Pastor Cal dresses beautifully and expensively. I’m guessing they are his own clothes. 

• Love 4

I didn't know it was on or I would have watched.

Don’t know why, but I get a bad vibe from Alyssa.

I want to like her but can't get past her using a prong collar on her rescue dog. I hate them and a lot of rescues prohibit them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I like all of the women except the blonde. Her energy is A Lot. Personally, I would find that exhausting, but lid for every pot and all that.

The realtor guy seems great. The unemployed guy seems great, too except not having a job should have eliminated him immediately. Was there something about he invested his money well? Or was I hallucinating? Dr. Pepper said Mark the Shark was an absolute "no" for her during his first audition. Great. So years later with the added baggage of caretaking for his mom and grandmom (although it's really nice that he does that) and multiple old cats, he's in. Olajuwon said women think he's a player. Hm. Probably because he is. On a shallow note, I hope he gets a more flattering haircut before the wedding. The quiet personal trainer seems nice. He sucked me in when he said he wanted to have intelligent conversations with his wife about books. However, his personality is the opposite of what she said she wanted. 

This season has disaster written all over it. 

I'm in.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Olajuwon said women think he's a player. Hm. Probably because he is. On a shallow note, I hope he gets a more flattering haircut before the wedding.

I hope he gets a new haircut, too.  Also, even though I'm at all into tats, he's got a hot body and I definitely believe he was a player.  I just hope he's a reformed one now, lol.  From what little I've seen so far he seems to have a nice personality, so that's a plus.  

• Love 5

I’ll probably end up watching, okay, I will, but I always skip the first two preshows.

I wish they’d start over and get new experts. They are the common denominator in season after season of failures. I know they don’t have the final say and are scapegoats for the producers but it would be nice to have a fresh set of sellout professionals after all this time or maybe let them actually do their jobs for once.

• Love 6

Lindsey and Mark--- I actually like them and think they both really want marriage. Both are average looking people so I hope they're not expecting va-va-voom sexiness. I think they'll be OK with each others' average looks. I agree he resembles AJ. If it doesn't workout with Lindsey,  maybe it'll work with Dr Viv. She loved him.

Katina and Olajuwon---Katina is very attractive and Olajuwon thinks he is. His body doesn't match his personality. He seems silly and playful and reminds me of Woody. Katina might want a more mature man.

Jasmina and Michael---i like them. I think she is so pretty and personable. And she's a ECE teacher like me, so, Yay! He's a good looking guy. To me, he seems introverted like her, but she wants someone more outspoken. I'm rooting for them, though. A quirk I noticed: "I'm a child of 9." Twice, she worded it this way.

Noi and Steve---She's tiny and he's very tall. Strike 1! He's unemployed. Strike 2! I don't think he's attractive. Strike 3!

Alyssa and Chris---I like them, but I fear she won't be attracted to him

• Love 4

Noi and Steve---She's tiny and he's very tall. Strike 1! He's unemployed. Strike 2! I don't think he's attractive. Strike 3!

But... Noi Moy! Like Pepper, I can't decide if that's a plus or a minus!

Alyssa and Chris---I like them, but I fear she won't be attracted to him

If they live in his house, he has a great fenced yard for the dog! I did wish they would not have emphasized her doing dog rescue so much. I also had a dog and did dog rescue. I LOVE dogs. But I'm not like this super-benevolent St. Francis of Assisi type. I'm thrilled to marry a fellow dog lover so that I can have dogs forever but I could have married someone who didn't want a dog and still be quite happy. It's a great thing about Alyssa but it's not the ONLY thing about Alyssa and I feel like they really didn't tell us much else.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Also: Mark's support for his mom and grandma is great, but that doesn't mean that his wife, as a nurse, would automatically be on board with his caregiving responsibilities.

Did these idiot experts think that when Lindsay isn’t at work she can take care of Mark’s mother and grandmother and then in her spare time take care of any kids they may have plus the cats? What exactly will Mark be sacrificing?

• Love 5

I didn’t know this was back already, I thought January something. Guess I’ll catch up when they get to the altar unless these last two episodes are in re-run. At this point I have no hope for these couples anymore, seems like this show matches couples for drama instead of real love and marriage. 

• Love 2
On 12/29/2021 at 11:51 PM, kikicat said:

And how about Dr Pepper coming in hot with the costumes! The apron was all right, but who thought jodphurs would be a good look on a short, squat middle-aged lady?

Like, role-playing now??? It's weird & her telling them as she was leaving? I mean, COME ON. They need to calm down. How about role-playing actual experts?? 😅😂

• Love 2
On 12/30/2021 at 6:52 AM, gingerandcloves said:

I don't know if I'm up for this season, you guys. The previews already look dreadful, and the experts seem to have given up any pretense of matching people for compatibility. I won't write it off yet, but I can't take another shitshow season.

See you next week, lol.

• LOL 10

I think we may be misunderstanding what they mean when they say "5 for 5..."  We think they want 5 for 5 successes when in reality they mean 5 for 5 disasters which will bring ratings and ensure they will continue to have these jobs.

Matching an unemployed tall man with a short employed woman...isn't that Amber and the unemployed basketball player?  I understand that many people were laid off during the pandemic, but I also know that companies have been trying to hire people and just can't fill all of their positions.  So, I guess when this was filmed would make a difference, but his "I can find money when I need to" statements and attitude bothered me. It would definitely be a red flag for me if my husband was very happy not working while I was working.

Anytime the "experts" match someone who has "traditional" values they neglect to ask exactly what that person means by "traditional."  

I wonder why they approved the "shark" guy when they rejected him previously.  Maybe they want someone who really wants to be married so that there's a chance of a successful match.

This seems like a real mess of a season. 

• Love 3