Type keyword(s) to search

I Saw The Signs: A Rewatch Thread

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Around here you'll hear (New England) both rilly and reely. How I hear the Browns saying really is more of a relly - rhyming with jelly. They also seem to emphasize the Ls, if that makes any sense.

Oh, and "our dad could go to jell" bugs me, too!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, Art Of Noiz said:

One thing I learned, moving just from SW Mo to N Central TX, is that when I got there I was the one with an  accent. (Pronounced aik-sint) 😃 

Same here, but I moved from Connecticut to East Texas. Talk about culture shock as well as language differences!

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4

Even more than the "rilly" and "dill" it's Robyn's "haffin' " that is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.  "" I have to go..."" becomes ""Eye haffin' ta (grunt sound)oo"" 🙄

However...full disclosure I am in western Pennsylvania and spent years in college cleaning up the "hick" accent with red up=cleaning, hanging the warsh out on the line, pop=soda and the famous variations of the Pittsburgh "younz or yinz" depending on how thick your city dialect was.

• Like 11
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Even more than the "rilly" and "dill" it's Robyn's "haffin' " that is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.  "" I have to go..."" becomes ""Eye haffin' ta (grunt sound)oo"" 🙄

However...full disclosure I am in western Pennsylvania and spent years in college cleaning up the "hick" accent with red up=cleaning, hanging the warsh out on the line, pop=soda and the famous variations of the Pittsburgh "younz or yinz" depending on how thick your city dialect was.

My mom was from the south she warshed clothes too. You are the only other person 'I know' that has used or heard that word. Although we were raised in New England and raised to say wash, warsh would still occasionally slip out of us kids. Now that my mom has passed I use it all the time. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My mom was from the south she warshed clothes too. You are the only other person 'I know' that has used or heard that word. Although we were raised in New England and raised to say wash, warsh would still occasionally slip out of us kids. Now that my mom has passed I use it all the time. 

One of my general pet peeves:  my state Washington, pronounced as Warshington.  I live here and hear it all the time, and it's always grated on me.  There Is No R In Washington, would be the title of the book that I'd write, if I were a writer.  LOL

• Like 10
  • LOL 4
20 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

One of my general pet peeves:  my state Washington, pronounced as Warshington.  I live here and hear it all the time, and it's always grated on me.  There Is No R In Washington, would be the title of the book that I'd write, if I were a writer.  LOL

I'm also in WA. Yeah - that one is strange to me (Warshington).

I have a typical West Coast speech pattern - I essentially sound like any news anchor on television - very generic without much of a regional accent. But I travel a ton around the country to teach, and I inevitably hear things along the lines of, "Oh my gosh - you have such an accent." So I suppose we all have accents in some way or another - it just depends on where you're speaking.

• Like 10
6 minutes ago, NoWhammies said:

I'm also in WA. Yeah - that one is strange to me (Warshington).

I have a typical West Coast speech pattern - I essentially sound like any news anchor on television - very generic without much of a regional accent. But I travel a ton around the country to teach, and I inevitably hear things along the lines of, "Oh my gosh - you have such an accent." So I suppose we all have accents in some way or another - it just depends on where you're speaking.

I think you're right.  I'm sure the way I speak would grate on somebody's nerves!  Generic is the way I'd describe my speech, but some words are hard to pronounce, and I appreciate being corrected (in a nice way, of course!) when I get it wrong.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I think you're right.  I'm sure the way I speak would grate on somebody's nerves!  Generic is the way I'd describe my speech, but some words are hard to pronounce, and I appreciate being corrected (in a nice way, of course!) when I get it wrong.

I’ve been told I sound Canadian, grew up in WI. It’s a bit better than the standard Midwest accent (look up Charlie Berens and his Midwest videos — here’s one to start): 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
18 hours ago, Roslyn said:

My husband is from western PA and I had never heard “red up” until I met him. It still cracks me up when he says it. 

• Like 5

I feel like we might not harp on the Brown's accent as much if they didn't repeat themselves ad nauseum with those same phrases...."I need to dill with my fillings."  "I was jus'settin' there" (Robyn).  "We thought our dad was going to jell."  Etc.

For what it's worth, there's not much that makes me laugh harder than when the male host of the Surviving Sister Wives podcast suddenly breaks out with his Robyn impression.  He's got her accent and way of slurring words down pat.  I have been known to double over laughing in the middle of a walk with people looking at me. :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

My husband is from western PA and I had never heard “red up” until I met him. It still cracks me up when he says it. 

I only know the phrase because it was part of a storyline on Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
18 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

I am from Michigan and my mom always asked us to "redd up the dishes" after dinner. Her mom was from eastern Ohio and that is probably where she heard it.

A familiar expression to Scottish people.  I may have been told to "go ben the room and red up the table" after a meal.  I have no idea where "ben" comes from in reference to go into another room but knew enough to act promptly when told to do so.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

I understand everyone has an accent of some sort so their dills, jell, Day’un, singingk, don’t RILLY bother me, but their sayings completely confuse me a lot of the time.  All the pink elephants, the bird that ate the mouse, I was just sittin’ there standin’, I’m often like what does it mean, but then I realize one of the Browns said it, so it doesn’t really matter.

• LOL 19

I remember being in school and one year a girl moved here from Connecticut, she had a distinct accent.  But she would roll with laughter when I talked.  Even after she moved back in high school and I would write to her, she would still laugh as she said I wrote with a Texas accent, she said she would read it to her friends and they would laugh too.  When she first moved here, she had a really hard time understanding some of us.  She often asked me to repeat myself and explain what I meant.

Like fixin' to, is about to do something.

Mighta could, means maybe.

But mostly it was rolling a lot of words together.  She said at first she thought some of us were speaking a different language.

I was raised around the DFW area, in a slightly rural town/city.  I really try to say my words properly, but yes at times I really listen to myself and realize how hick I  can sound.   I'm sure I can sound as funny as the Browns do with some of their pronunciations.

This is one of those things that has always interested me is regional accents.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

S14 E6

Robyn is saying that she doesn't want anyone to be trapped in their marriage, including Kody. Robyn says 'We all should have the right and freedom to leave.'

I wonder what happened that Robyn is now so angry with Christine for leaving. Was she lying now or lying then?

I think it is now. And that her 'anger' with Christine and Janelle is all to minimize public criticism in being the last wife standing. That and being a dog kicker, and considering Kody her best customer, following  Dayton to Arizona and buying a mansion with family money.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6
9 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

S14 E6

Robyn is saying that she doesn't want anyone to be trapped in their marriage, including Kody. Robyn says 'We all should have the right and freedom to leave.'

I wonder what happened that Robyn is now so angry with Christine for leaving. Was she lying now or lying then?

I think it is now. And that her 'anger' with Christine and Janelle is all to minimize public criticism in being the last wife standing. That and being a dog kicker, and considering Kody her best customer, following  Dayton to Arizona and buying a mansion with family money.

Oh for sure. She wanted the wives to stay for their $$ while she continued to be top wife and lord over them — all while pretending not to.

Now Robyn will have to find a job. Don’t they have all that tuition to pay for their own kids also? 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

So I just started rewatching but I am only a few minutes in and I don't know that I can continue. Kody is a liar. In the first few minutes, he was affectionate and loving with all 3 of the OGs. If he was not in love with Meri, he sure was bounding up the stairs to hug her on that first episode. I hate to say this but he was a great actor if the marriage was already horribly broken. And they all talk about him being conscientious with the calendar of seeing them regularly. 

• Like 7
1 minute ago, MamaGee said:

So I just started rewatching but I am only a few minutes in and I don't know that I can continue. Kody is a liar. In the first few minutes, he was affectionate and loving with all 3 of the OGs. If he was not in love with Meri, he sure was bounding up the stairs to hug her on that first episode. I hate to say this but he was a great actor if the marriage was already horribly broken. And they all talk about him being conscientious with the calendar of seeing them regularly. 

In the first few years, his mission was to portray polygamy in a positive light. 

After the initial attraction to Robyn wore off and he realized he had found his compliant soulmate in her, all his posturing about one big happy family went out the window and he started to find fault in everything the OG did and said.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, MamaGee said:

I always took early days Kody to be excited/hyper about having an audience more than being excited about the wife/kid/activity right in front of him in real life. 

It used to drive me crazy about Kate Gosselin too, the way she used to react to the kids by looking to the crew and laughing or smirking or rolling her eyes or whatever. Interact with your child, lady! 

• Like 11

IMO, minus the catfish, I think the last wife standing was more about timing than it is about Robyn. I think if either Janelle or Meri were the last wife, Kody would be happily living a a mansion with one of them (well, maybe not a mansion with Janelle 😁). I'm not so sure about Christine though. It seems to me their relationship has always been about extremes and nothing in between.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BnJJTwop said:

Doing a re-watch after knowing how the family implodes, it is so interesting to  how awful Robyn was right from the very beginning.

She talks a big talk about how much she wanted the sister wife relationships but from the very start her actions were contrary to achieving what she claims to have always wanted.

She had large wedding celebration whereas Janelle and Christine did not.  She had an 11 day honeymoon in, I think, Mexico right after Christine had a baby and was struggling, when the other three got a few days' road trip (Christine, I believe, got a road trip to Wyoming!).  She demanded being added to the rotation before she was married to Kody.  She also got dedicated days at a time with Kody when she still lived 5 hours away and they were courting.  She then moved to Lehi and got her own house so had a lot of private time with Kody while the OGs continued living on top of each other Christine.  I understand that she had to get her own place but it gave her yet another advantage with Kody's time.

How would she have felt if Kody and one of the OGs left for 11 days right after Sol was born?

I really wonder what would have happened with the living situation if they didn't leave Lehi.  Would Robyn have always kept a separate house?

Fast-forward to the current season and she talks about how much her kids struggle if Kody is gone for more than a couple of days.  Gee, you don't think that all the kids have gone through this with Kody having always worked away from home?  Why do her kids get special treatment?  If she's such a good sister wife, why can't she explain to her kids that this is how it is in a plural family?

Gah!  This woman grinds my gears.

Selfish as the day is long.  Sobbyn thinks everyone should bow to her demands.  Kootie is either too stupid or doesn't give a shit about her "me, me, me" attitude.  It's been there "from day one."

She grinds my gears, too.  Horrible person.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, BnJJTwop said:

Doing a re-watch after knowing how the family implodes, it is so interesting to  how awful Robyn was right from the very beginning.

She talks a big talk about how much she wanted the sister wife relationships but from the very start her actions were contrary to achieving what she claims to have always wanted.

She had large wedding celebration whereas Janelle and Christine did not.  She had an 11 day honeymoon in, I think, Mexico right after Christine had a baby and was struggling, when the other three got a few days' road trip (Christine, I believe, got a road trip to Wyoming!).  She demanded being added to the rotation before she was married to Kody.  She also got dedicated days at a time with Kody when she still lived 5 hours away and they were courting.  She then moved to Lehi and got her own house so had a lot of private time with Kody while the OGs continued living on top of each other Christine.  I understand that she had to get her own place but it gave her yet another advantage with Kody's time.

How would she have felt if Kody and one of the OGs left for 11 days right after Sol was born?

I really wonder what would have happened with the living situation if they didn't leave Lehi.  Would Robyn have always kept a separate house?

Fast-forward to the current season and she talks about how much her kids struggle if Kody is gone for more than a couple of days.  Gee, you don't think that all the kids have gone through this with Kody having always worked away from home?  Why do her kids get special treatment?  If she's such a good sister wife, why can't she explain to her kids that this is how it is in a plural family?

All this. You could see it happening from the very beginning with Robyn. She was a soul mate, not just a plyg wife.

Though Meri and Kody struggled for a long time, I’m willing to bet that pointing Robyn out to Kody (and encouraging the relationship) is the biggest regret Meri has. If she could take anything back, to keep Kody, it would have been to avoid Robyn at all costs. No Robyn, probably no catfish, and Meri would likely still be legally married to Kody.

Not saying they’d be “happy”, just that he wouldn’t have fallen head over heels for one woman whilst neglecting the others. 

• Like 15
  • Love 2
On 1/28/2023 at 12:21 PM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I remember being in school and one year a girl moved here from Connecticut, she had a distinct accent.  But she would roll with laughter when I talked.  Even after she moved back in high school and I would write to her, she would still laugh as she said I wrote with a Texas accent, she said she would read it to her friends and they would laugh too.  When she first moved here, she had a really hard time understanding some of us.  She often asked me to repeat myself and explain what I meant.

Like fixin' to, is about to do something.

Mighta could, means maybe.

But mostly it was rolling a lot of words together.  She said at first she thought some of us were speaking a different language.

I was raised around the DFW area, in a slightly rural town/city.  I really try to say my words properly, but yes at times I really listen to myself and realize how hick I  can sound.   I'm sure I can sound as funny as the Browns do with some of their pronunciations.

This is one of those things that has always interested me is regional accents.

Jagodalunch?

Wadjayeet?

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2023 at 5:29 AM, TurtlePower said:

I agree with this. I am also rewatching but I skipped over the wedding, the honeymoon and  birth of Sol. There were times when the mean comments slipped out easily from Robyn's lips. In a conversation about Christine having a hard time after Truely's birth Robyn said well I have heard that having babies when you are older is difficult. During one of the talking heads while sitting on the couch, she went into a long explanation to the other women that she being pregnant was a reminder that she and Kody were "intimate" and that must be difficult for them. Finally Janelle spoke up and said well it is just a natural progression of how things work out or something like that. 

And then we have her saying more recently that Kody continued to love the wives that were leaving him even after their weight gain and stretch marks. Robyn has always had a mean streak in her and it always comes out. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 7
  • Love 1
On 2/4/2023 at 5:36 PM, dariafan said:

Meri bought into her damsel in distress ness and didn’t see her losing head wife status 

I don't think she bought anything.  She talked about how before the marriage she wasn't so sure about Robyn.  But by then it was too late.

On 2/4/2023 at 4:29 AM, TurtlePower said:

All this. You could see it happening from the very beginning with Robyn. She was a soul mate, not just a plyg wife.

Though Meri and Kody struggled for a long time, I’m willing to bet that pointing Robyn out to Kody (and encouraging the relationship) is the biggest regret Meri has. If she could take anything back, to keep Kody, it would have been to avoid Robyn at all costs. No Robyn, probably no catfish, and Meri would likely still be legally married to Kody.

Not saying they’d be “happy”, just that he wouldn’t have fallen head over heels for one woman whilst neglecting the others. 

Agree.  You could tell he was really in love with her.  Not sure if she loves him as much as he loves her.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I don't think she bought anything.  She talked about how before the marriage she wasn't so sure about Robyn.  But by then it was too late.

I don’t recall this. Can someone refresh my memory, please?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

It was in the first few episodes I believe Christine was also talking about not wanting to add anyone else.

I guess I blocked that out. I thought Meri was always team Robyn.

• Like 5

From the book it becomes painfully obvious that Kody's and Christine's relationship was doomed to begin with. She was head over heels and he wasn't. He readily admitted he felt trapped/forced to marry her and that he wasn't really in love with her.

The thing with Robyn is, that she sugar coats everything she says. It sounds ok or nice, then you start to think about it and you realize what she actually meant and that it was a serious attempt to punch you in the gut or make you feel insecure!

• Like 7
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, LilyD said:

The thing with Robyn is, that she sugar coats everything she says. It sounds ok or nice, then you start to think about it and you realize what she actually meant and that it was a serious attempt to punch you in the gut or make you feel insecure!

She-Ra is cunning.  If you take her words at face value, they seem to be innocent but when the impact hits and if called out on it later, she would scrunch up that mean little face trying to squeeze out a tear. Deny that was her intent.

She would then run to Kody to report that once again, she was being made a scapegoat by those mean old sister wives.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
On 2/11/2023 at 10:53 PM, Sandy W said:

She-Ra is cunning.  If you take her words at face value, they seem to be innocent but when the impact hits and if called out on it later, she would scrunch up that mean little face trying to squeeze out a tear. Deny that was her intent.

She would then run to Kody to report that once again, she was being made a scapegoat by those mean old sister wives.

This (almost) exact scenario played out in a couch scene. It was when all five adults were on the couch (Vegas days) and Christine called out Robyn "planning to be late" to Logan's graduation.  Robyn had no counter to Christine and instead looks to Kody with a "she's mean...stand up for me" look on her face.

• Like 8
  • Useful 2
16 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

This (almost) exact scenario played out in a couch scene. It was when all five adults were on the couch (Vegas days) and Christine called out Robyn "planning to be late" to Logan's graduation.  Robyn had no counter to Christine and instead looks to Kody with a "she's mean...stand up for me" look on her face.

Since the OG's only had one third if a spouse, they were left to their own devices to mow lawns, shovel driveways, hang "pitchers" and open pickle jars.

Robyn appealed to his White Knight complex by playing Damsel in Distress. She managed just fine before Kody came along but saw a way to flatter him for his "manliness".  This would be why he is so damn protective of her.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Oh yes, she could really play the damsel in distress, making a big fuss over nothing. But I have to say; the other three seemed to let it happen. Did they ever really call Robyn out for breaking the unwritten rules of respecting another wife's night? No. At least not on film. We only ever saw them rolling their eyes and occasionally complain to each other or the cameraman when Robyn showed up and begged for Kody's attention.

• Like 6
15 minutes ago, dariafan said:

My rewatch schedule has changed to match surviving sister wives podcast.   Why does kody think he gets to pick out his daughter’s wedding dress ???  And why would a father want to pick it ?   

A father shouldn't choose his daughter's dress and should know to back the hell off and allow the dress shopping to be between his daughter and her mother, sisters, friends, etc.  He wanted to choose it because he thinks that everything should center around HIM.  He can't stand when the spotlight is entirely off of him.  He needs to be dancing around the periphery so that no one forgets he's there.  Also he had a weird man-crush on Caleb so that probably factored into it somehow.  And the fact that he sneakily chose Robyn's dress likely makes him think that he's an expert now.

I adore that Sister Wives podcast so much!  I have thought about joining their Patreon but haven't done it yet.

• Like 7
On 2/3/2023 at 6:52 PM, BnJJ said:

I kinda feel like this is one of the reasons given for Kody being a dick and Robyn a bitch which is unfair.

Kody, Janelle and Christine all said how sad their weddings were in a way. Because of the lack of celebration and it being low key and even secretive. The lack of honeymoon planning and time spent together on honeymoon was also complained about, particularly by Christine.

Kody, Janelle and Christine all said their courtships were too rushed and they married without really knowing each other or really giving thought to how adding them to a plural marriage would go.

So Kody and Robyn had a longer courtship to really spend time with each other and had a celebratory wedding and a decent honeymoon. Then got slated for it. 

And probably the biggest factor in the wedding and honeymoon was it was being filmed and therefore paid for by TLC. Robyn would not have had a big wedding or honeymoon if the Brown's were paying for it.

So it was just that the circumstances were entirely different as well as they all realised that short courtships and sad weddings weren't good ways to start  marriage.

And as an aside, Christine married Kody when Janelle was pregnant with her 1st child and then got jealous of the new baby and insisted she have her own house to develop her relationship with Kody. Leaving Janelle struggling with all the firstborn stuff in a house with Meri who she did not get on with and who was desperately trying to conceive, while Kody got to escape to Christine's house every third night. 

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4

The OG3 explained that long courtships and long honeymoons are disrespectful to any current wives - understandably so. Both Robyn and Kody made a choice to put their 'couple' relationship before the family relationship. Not a good look for an incoming wife. Super asshole decision for a polyg husband.

Polygamy is definitely the bad guy in the Brown family relationships, but that doesn't excuse the hurtful and uncaring decisions made by any of the wives or Kody.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The OG3 explained that long courtships and long honeymoons are disrespectful to any current wives - understandably so. Both Robyn and Kody made a choice to put their 'couple' relationship before the family relationship. Not a good look for an incoming wife. Super asshole decision for a polyg husband.

Polygamy is definitely the bad guy in the Brown family relationships, but that doesn't excuse the hurtful and uncaring decisions made by any of the wives or Kody.

They said those things were standard in their culture but also bad for their courtships, wedding days and marriages, didn't they?. Kody, Janelle and Christine all said how sad (or short) their courtships, weddings and honeymoons were.

So why would they want the same bad things for Kody and Robyn?

That was the point. They realised how shitty it was for them to have a short courtship and non-celebratory wedding with a man they didn't really know. And it sucked. And wasn't a good start for  marriage.

So Kody took his own shitty experiences and what Janelle and Christine had told him about how and why their wedding days and honeymoon were a bit sad and shit so ...had the wedding with Robyn that ideally, Janelle and Christine would have liked.

And...he didn't have to pay for it. TLC filmed it and paid for it. That puts a whole different spin on it.

This was the first time that the Browns had money for a honeymoon, because TLC paid for it to film it.

If there was available money for luxurious honeymoons when the OG 3 got married, things may have been different.

Same as the Brown children that got married on the show. Without TLC, they wouldn't have had huge expensive weddings. Aspyns wedding reception at La Callie was 10k and Kody was told that was pretty much the same cost as Maddie and Mykelti.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Robyn was a horrible sister wife from day one. She was and still is selfish, sneaky, and manipulative.

Based on several books, videos, and documentaries, it appears that a selfish, sneaky, and manipulative sister wife is pretty common in polygamy. I think that Meri also had these traits.

What's so hard to take is that Kody keeps declaring what a kind, empathetic, unselfish sister wife Robyn is. We see over and over that Robyn is the exact opposite.

I'm just happy that the OG three got themselves out of that toxic situation.

Let Kody and Robyn lie to themselves and one another. They can profess to each other what good people they are. At least the OG three don't have to hear it and pretend that they buy that load of crap.

• Like 6
  • Applause 11
On 2/28/2023 at 6:41 AM, GeeGolly said:

The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. Short courtships and short honeymoons aren't great but long courtships and long honeymoons disrespect the other wives. This is polygamy, not monogamy, making sacrifices to accommodate other wives is part of the deal.

Robyn knew the 5 hour travel time made their courtship hard on the other wives, so then she decides a two week honeymoon would be good? Honeymoons are a social construct, Kody and Robyn committed to a life together so they had plenty of time to plan a vacation after Robyn settled in to the family. A four day getaway or even a less extravagant week long honeymoon would have been less hurtful for the OG3.

IMO, money should have little to do with it. The OG3 were hurt, like I said above, a compromise would have made it easier for the OG3. A compromise would have sent the message that Robyn cares and Robyn gets it.

In my world I've seen more care introducing new pets into a family. I'm firmly team OG3 on this one.

Didn't Robyn and Kody take another honeymoon (that wasn't filmed) after they did their legal marriage as well, or am I misremembering? I thought they said she took him to Hawaii with funds from her grocery budget so ended up with two lengthy honeymoons.

If she really "needed" that time, then maybe to make it fair/make up for the 3 originals (who didn't have similar extended or extravagant honeymoons) they could have used show $ to have 2nd honeymoons across the board, but I have a strong feeling that Kody would've put the kibosh on that.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1