Type keyword(s) to search

I Saw The Signs: A Rewatch Thread

• Start Topic

On 12/4/2022 at 4:32 AM, Twopper said:

I think I am going to watch season 1 again.  It is giving me some whiplash.  It is interesting that the whole family gathered several times a week to have dinner together which worked because they were all in the same house. Also the kids all played together in the same yard. Kody looked pissed when Meri mentioned jealousy issues over Robyn. It was nice that’s kody tells everyone goodnight

I’m not buying it that Kody was like that when the cameras weren’t rolling. Simple math really: he’d be constantly running around the house to tuck them in and kiss goodnight as they were quite a bit apart in age. No way they all went to bed at the same time.

Also as Roslyn pointed out, he usually wasn’t there for Christine’s kids anyways. On hindsight, I suspect he spent most of his time with Meri, enjoying some peace and quiet time. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

I’m not buying it that Kody was like that when the cameras weren’t rolling. Simple math really: he’d be constantly running around the house to tuck them in and kiss goodnight as they were quite a bit apart in age. No way they all went to bed at the same time.

Also as Roslyn pointed out, he usually wasn’t there for Christine’s kids anyways. On hindsight, I suspect he spent most of his time with Meri, enjoying some peace and quiet time. 

Aspyn tucked in her siblings. Not sure about Janelle’s. 

• Like 2

I am re-watching the move from Lehigh to LV, and there is background music with someone singing about being a sunbeam for Jesus. Does anyone know who is singking?   I am watching on demand and I think they cut off the credits. Each episode is about 25 minutes without the long commercials and the stuff they repeat during the originals

25 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I am re-watching the move from Lehigh to LV, and there is background music with someone singing about being a sunbeam for Jesus. Does anyone know who is singking?   I am watching on demand and I think they cut off the credits. Each episode is about 25 minutes without the long commercials and the stuff they repeat during the originals

Don't know who was singink or the origins of the song but I learned that one about 80 years ago at the United Church of Canada. The verse went something like:

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam, to shine on him each day.

In every way try to please him, at home, at school, at play.

A sunbeam, a sunbeam, I'll be a sunbeam for him.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/music/library/childrens-songbook/jesus-wants-me-for-a-sunbeam?lang=eng

And from a different source (URL was extremely long)

Artist: Cedarmont Kids

Album: Bible Songs

Released: 1993

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Useful 4
On 12/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, Sandy W said:

Don't know who was singink or the origins of the song but I learned that one about 80 years ago at the United Church of Canada. The verse went something like:

Jesus wants me for a sunbeam, to shine on him each day.

In every way try to please him, at home, at school, at play.

A sunbeam, a sunbeam, I'll be a sunbeam for him.

In the next episode , Christine was  singing with her girls so I wondered if one of them also sang the sunbeam song which I had never heard before. 

• Like 1

I'm up to what IMDb considers season 12.

I just watched Mykelti and Tony's wedding. What a hot mess, from the cold weather, to Kody being late, Ari & Sol being sick, to Christine warbling, "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" an octave higher than she should've, to the insufficient tacos, to the homemade fabric flowers, to the beating of the bride and groom piñatas, I just sat here shaking my head.

Now I think Meri (and maybe Janelle?) are going to the 2017 Women's March with Leon at their request. This show has just gotten worse and worse over the years. I was right to stop watching the first time, but since I'm seeing stuff I've never seen, I can't stop watching, when I have more episodes behind me than ahead of me.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

I missed a bunch of the middle seasons, but I caught up with them.  Last night I re-watched season 7 episode 7 where they went to Missouri to visit Nathan Ricard and his 2 wives; the wives have left him. I could not find the thread for it here.  The epi before it is something about wives in an rv and shows up as season 5 ep 6 if I recall correctly—I was a tad sleepy. Anyway, his two wives have been in the news because they left. I doubt they would have had a mention had not Janelle and Christine’s split been all over social media. 
I did wonder if his second wife was ever able to have children. The three all shared a bedroom which creeped me out. 
christine seemed to get along with the daughter Abigail; I wonder if they kept in touch. Abigail would probably be around 20.   The dad also had the kids line up like the von  Trapp children in the Sound of Music. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Twopper said:

I missed a bunch of the middle seasons, but I caught up with them.  Last night I re-watched season 7 episode 7 where they went to Missouri to visit Nathan Ricard and his 2 wives; the wives have left him. I could not find the thread for it here.  The epi before it is something about wives in an rv and shows up as season 5 ep 6 if I recall correctly—I was a tad sleepy. Anyway, his two wives have been in the news because they left. I doubt they would have had a mention had not Janelle and Christine’s split been all over social media. 
I did wonder if his second wife was ever able to have children. The three all shared a bedroom which creeped me out. 
christine seemed to get along with the daughter Abigail; I wonder if they kept in touch. Abigail would probably be around 20.   The dad also had the kids line up like the von  Trapp children in the Sound of Music. 

It was Nathan Collier. This article that mentions the split says the three co-parent 8 children, but doesn't detail how many children each mom has. https://allaboutthetea.com/2022/12/28/sister-wives-polygamous-couple-nathan-and-christine-collier-split/

Oh, my mistake. One of the Collier marriages split, but also Nathanael Richard and both of his wives split.  

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/6959108/sister-wives-nathanael-richard-splits-from-wives-kody-brown/

Sorry!

Edited by General Days
  • Useful 3

Robyn wins either way, no matter what Meri says:

If Meri says yes, Robyn gets to forever be the martyr that carried Kody's child with Meri, and is guaranteed to have both Meri and Kody waiting on her hand and foot for the duration of that pregnancy and beyond - and she also gets to be the one who offered to carry another baby for Meri - not Janelle, not Christine, cementing Meri's undying gratitude and guaranteeing that Meri would always be on Robyn's side.  Win for Robyn.

If Meri says no, Robyn gets to be the saint that offered, and she also gets to whine to Kody that he could've had another child with Meri, but Meri said no, fracturing whatever was left between Kody and Meri.  Win for Robyn.

I don't see Robyn's offer as anything but beneficial to only Robyn.  Hand over your prized golden child to the barren woman and while she's all doped up on that new baby smell, ask if she wants to rent your womb?  Pretty genius.

• Like 7
  • Applause 6
  • Love 4
On 12/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, Twopper said:

Wow. Polygamy Celeb watch! 😃.  Will one of Joe Darger's aging beauties be next? Will it be Meri? A Kingston bride? Stay tuned...

• LOL 5

Started a rewatch last night.  Many thoughts !  First he was a good dad when they were smaller    The family seemed happy and together.  Kootie had a 2 door Lexus so that part of his personality was consistent.  But even just at this first episode , I don’t think Robyn and kootie watch the show. Cause so many things kootie has said is shown as being the opposite. And kooties facination with cutting trees … my friend I am doing the rewatch with said. “ if he starts peeling those trees I’m gonna scream “  I was angry he was wearing  nice clothes to do the chainsawing  

but they had a schedule. And routine.   And he kept up with where he was and when     And his face was fuller 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I feel Kody is selfish too but in fairness, when called out for the 2 door Lexus on SM he explained that it was an award for performance as a sign salesman.

Like he sold some signs and his boss patted his crunchy ramen head and said "good work - go get yourself a new car?" :)

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Like he sold some signs and his boss patted his crunchy ramen head and said "good work - go get yourself a new car?" :)

It may have been awarded for selling the magic water LIV product and not the sign company.

In any case, he should have traded it in for a family van as soon as he was able.  As I recall, Christine and Janelle were driving beaters held together with sealing wax and string while he played the Kodster in the Roadster flying up to rendezvous with Robyn and get his pencil wet.

Edited by Sandy W
Additional vulgar thought. i'll see myself out
  • Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

It may have been awarded for selling the magic water LIV product and not the sign company.

In any case, he should have traded it in for a family van as soon as he was able.  As I recall, Christine and Janelle were driving beaters held together with sealing wax and string while he played the Kodster in the Roadster flying up to rendezvous with Robyn and get his pencil wet.

"Kodster in the Roadster," I love it!

He will never live down the wet pencil comment!  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 4

I stopped watching this before they ever started talking about leaving Vegas. After seeing all the commercials for this season with Christine leaving, I was curious and started a re-watch from season 1.

My heavens is Meri selfish.  I can understand her not wanting "less than" because she only has one bio kid but when they were so strapped for cash after moving to Vegas, her refusal to have a less expensive temporary rental, which would have been in the best interest of the entire family, she pouted, refused, and got her way with a big house and swimming pool.

Then she had to have a huge house with a wet bar and 5 bedrooms while Janelle had to give up things in her house that she really could have used having 6 kids at home.

Then she gets all cranky about tuition at Leon's choice of college where tuition was 4x that of Logan's.

Meri is doing my head in. I have yet to see her do something in the best interest of the family.

If they had built one house on CP, I can only imagine her reaction when they got into the details of her space being 1,500 sqft and Robin's being 3,500.

I'm also now reading their book for the first time. Meri is driving me nuts there as well.

• Like 13
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 4

I’m watching the family mission statement episode and they are writing down the categories that the statement will cover and Kody barely gets out that they don’t need the “financial” category when Robyn screams “NO! WE HAVE TO HAVE FINANCIAL! “  LOL yeah Robyn we know that’s the MOST important part….calm down 😂

Bonus Points: I got to see Leon sitting in the cul-de-sac staring at the new house 🤭 

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 11
51 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m watching the family mission statement episode and they are writing down the categories that the statement will cover and Kody barely gets out that they don’t need the “financial” category when Robyn screams “NO! WE HAVE TO HAVE FINANCIAL! “  LOL yeah Robyn we know that’s the MOST important part….calm down 😂

Bonus Points: I got to see Leon sitting in the cul-de-sac staring at the new house 🤭 

I recently watched that ep as well.

Spoiled, selfish little brat with Meri coddling them every moment along the way.  The poor dear had to spend a few more days in their lovely rental with a pool.  Oh, the inhumanity. 🙄

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
48 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I have to agree with Robin on that one - finances should def be a priority.

Yeah it wasn’t that it shouldn’t be part of it, it was that the person who barely contributes was the one screaming it out 😂

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 12

Rewatching season 12, which was when I think this jumped the shark. A few interesting bits:

-The Browns keep referring to themselves as felons, which they were not--nobody was ever convicted of a felony

-Robyn opts out of going to a polygamy march, saying it is because of the small children. I didn't believe her them and I still don't. She is all talk and no action.

-Kody says something to the effect to Robyn nobody questions the authenticity of your tears here--must have been when they were still reading the boards

-Christine calls out that Meri has long been the last to arrive, the first to leave and always on her phone during family gatherings

-Janelle supports the other wives' children--Mykelti about some steamrolling by groom Tony and Leon about the women's March. She also rather thoughtfully considers that Meri might be a bitch because she is defensive

-Paedon expresses his lingering bitterness at being forced to move to Las Vegas

-Kody's hair is very sparse and he is trying to hide it with curls

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
On 1/17/2023 at 9:10 PM, BnJJTwop said:

I recently watched that ep as well.

Spoiled, selfish little brat with Meri coddling them every moment along the way.  The poor dear had to spend a few more days in their lovely rental with a pool.  Oh, the inhumanity. 🙄

What  infuriated me about that episode  was that Meri did not turn in her paperwork for the loan on time. The reason she was delayed was all her own fault. And then the way she spoke to Mona made my blood boil. Meri acted so entitled and Leon was insufferable.

It was not like they were homeless, they knew they would be able to get into the house eventually. I think both Meri and Leon were always used to getting what they wanted that this was the first time they were the last to get something. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Robyn opts out of going to a polygamy march, saying it is because of the small children. I didn't believe her them and I still don't. She is all talk and no action.

Yes, it's typical isn't it? She has an opinion on everything, until she has to speak out. She has great ideas until she has to help materialise them and as soon as she actually has to take part into something, she's pulling out. (I suddenly had to think of that 5K run with Janelle where she couldn't join her because of an alleged back injury....)

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Yes, it's typical isn't it? She has an opinion on everything, until she has to speak out. She has great ideas until she has to help materialise them and as soon as she actually has to take part into something, she's pulling out. (I suddenly had to think of that 5K run with Janelle where she couldn't join her because of an alleged back injury....)

And when she could not participate on the second day of the Therapy Retreat in Sedona because she "wasn't feeling well".

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
14 hours ago, LilyD said:

Sure Robyn, long ago and far away you hurt your back break dancing.  

• LOL 4
On 1/16/2023 at 8:26 PM, xwordfanatik said:

"Kodster in the Roadster," I love it!

He will never live down the wet pencil comment!  

On 1/16/2023 at 9:21 PM, General Days said:

Nor should he. We will never, ever stop throwing up.

I think "wet pencil" comment should be incorporated into his thread title. Just somehow, dip it in there.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
On 1/21/2023 at 9:14 PM, LilyD said:

The audacity she carries around must weigh a ton !

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7

There are a bunch of random things that bug me to no end and this seems to be the only general thread.

• Why can't any of these people pronounce a hard e?
  • They have such poor grammar.  One doesn't take things "personal".  It's "personally".
  • Meri's decorating every inch of space on her walls, counters, shelves, tops of cabinets - ugh, the clutter is too much.
  • Kody's goatee going all the way up the sides of his mouth past his upper lip, with no mustache, skeeves me out.
  • On a positive note, Mosby is adorable!
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I hate that they "take it personal," too!  And, why do they not enunciate the T in a word?  Dayton=Day-Un.  

"Is that the HEEL you want to die on?"  Uh, no it isn't.  And, it's not "pitcher," it's picture, you dolt(s)!

So irritating, and thus, very snarkable.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, General Days said:

What's a "hard e"?

A hard e is a long e sound—as in the “ea” blend in “really.”  They say “rilly.”

Edited by zenme
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, BnJJTwop said:

There are a bunch of random things that bug me to no end and this seems to be the only general thread.

• Why can't any of these people pronounce a hard e?
  • They have such poor grammar.  One doesn't take things "personal".  It's "personally".
  • Meri's decorating every inch of space on her walls, counters, shelves, tops of cabinets - ugh, the clutter is too much.
  • Kody's goatee going all the way up the sides of his mouth past his upper lip, with no mustache, skeeves me out.
  • On a positive note, Mosby is adorable!

As a linguistics student, the language stuff mostly doesn’t bother me. I may make fun of the Browns’ pronunciation now and then, but language changes and evolves over time and it differs from region to region. The only time language stops evolving is when it’s a dead language, like Akkadian. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, zenme said:

A hard e is a long e sound—as in the “ea” blend in “really.”  They say “rilly.”

Thank you for the new knowledge! I've only ever heard the terms "long e" and "short e."

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Around here you'll hear (New England) both rilly and reely. How I hear the Browns saying really is more of a relly - rhyming with jelly. They also seem to emphasize the Ls, if that makes any sense.

I have never noticed rilly here, but there are a few different New England speech habits, and they're mostly regional (I guess that would be sub-regional). I know the perpetual Brown favorites dill, fill, and rill, for deal, feel, and real were all new to me.

It has always seemed to me that we (New Englanders) have more vowel sounds that people from some other regions of the country. For example, "Mary," "Marry," and "Merry," are three audibly distinct words, here. "Pin" and "Pen" are, too. 

I'm just glad nobody in my real life does the ing-k thing Christine and her brood do. It always sounds to me like she's trying to parody a German accent (I know she's not; it's just an inherited linguistic trait).

• Like 7
7 minutes ago, General Days said:

Thank you for the new knowledge! I've only ever heard the terms "long e" and "short e."

I have never noticed rilly here, but there are a few different New England speech habits, and they're mostly regional (I guess that would be sub-regional). I know the perpetual Brown favorites dill, fill, and rill, for deal, feel, and real were all new to me.

It has always seemed to me that we (New Englanders) have more vowel sounds that people from some other regions of the country. For example, "Mary," "Marry," and "Merry," are three audibly distinct words, here. "Pin" and "Pen" are, too. 

I'm just glad nobody in my real life does the ing-k thing Christine and her brood do. It always sounds to me like she's trying to parody a German accent (I know she's not; it's just an inherited linguistic trait).

I wouldn't say its regional pronunciation per se, but maybe more of a regional cadence. I find when the word really is used in normal conversation its frequently pronounced rilly due to the speech rhythm. When the word really is used for emphasis its always pronounced as reely.

I find Mary, marry and merry are all pronounced the same, but pen and pin are never the same.

Of course as you know New England is big(ish) and not all speak like Bostonians or old seafaring Mainers. 🤣

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

As a linguistics student, the language stuff mostly doesn’t bother me. I may make fun of the Browns’ pronunciation now and then, but language changes and evolves over time and it differs from region to region. The only time language stops evolving is when it’s a dead language, like Akkadian. 

One thing I learned, moving just from SW Mo to N Central TX, is that when I got there I was the one with an  accent. (Pronounced aik-sint) 😃 

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I hate that they "take it personal," too!  And, why do they not enunciate the T in a word?  Dayton=Day-Un.  

"Is that the HEEL you want to die on?"  Uh, no it isn't.  And, it's not "pitcher," it's picture, you dolt(s)!

So irritating, and thus, very snarkable.

Confession:  My actual real name is Jill.  My Utah cousins called me Jayal.  

• Like 6