Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Ryan's Journey

• Start Topic

<waves> Hi, everyone! I haven't participated in the live chats yet this season, because I've had to begin watching each episode (which I record on my DVR) about an hour after they start. It's impossible (for me) to get caught up at that point (while still watching the show) because the live chat moves too fast!

Anyway...I was so angry at Ryan's mother and stepfather when Ryan said they'd changed their minds about moving to Houston with him. Especially since his mother demonstrated being very involved with helping Ryan achieve his goals; unlike many other family members/SOs of past Poundicipants who were afraid not to give into their demands, because "they'll get mad".

Then I thought about it, and realized they probably changed their minds because they knew Ryan was continuing to sneak eat and most likely hadn't lost any weight at all. Upending their lives so Ryan could get help to overcome his overeating and lose weight was a waste of their time and effort because Ryan hadn't done anything Dr. Nowzaradan had told him were the minimum prerequisites for being approved for weight-loss surgery.

His mother and stepfather made the right call.

Ryan will likely die of a cause relating to his weight sooner rather than later. Just like the families/SOs of all the other Poundicipants who failed their "weight-loss journey", his mother and stepfather will be responsible for making and paying for all the arrangements relating to his body after death. 

Because of Ryan's size, they can expect quite a sticker shock when they learn how much more both cremation and burial cost for the super morbidly obese.

I'm hoping they took the money they'd set aside for the relocation to Houston and put it in an account to use as a down payment on Ryan's future cremation or burial.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Like 1
  • Love 16

Also, “They fired me cause i was too big”

I find that hard to believe that the employer would be that bold, probably said he was under performing & he twisted it to fit his narrative. 

Call center jobs are basically sitting all day,very high turnover rate & not always picky about who they hire. 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Then I thought about it, and realized they probably changed their minds because they knew Ryan was continuing to sneak eat and most likely hadn't lost any weight at all. Upending their lives so Ryan could get help to overcome his overeating and lose weight was a waste of their time and effort because Ryan hadn't done anything Dr. Nowzaradan had told him were the minimum prerequisites for being approved for weight-loss surgery.

Exactly!!!!

• Love 13
30 minutes ago, Kid said:

Exactly!!!!

Yep, this ep was the inverse of Lacey. They went THINKING that Lacey was SUPPOSED to go, Dr. Now's orders-- but that wasn't the truth. That's why Sharon blew her top. Now we have Ryan's mom & her boyfriend, who knew better and decided they weren't going to waste their time. (I'd love to see Sharon with Ryan. Oh my!!)

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I don't blame his mother and boyfriend for not going. Ryan showed not one ounce of really trying his best in earnest. Cheat meals, cheat days..... why upend your life for something that will fail? If he is going to fail at least you can be in your own home. 

Ryan had no  journey, Ryan did nothing. Ryan thought because he said he was going to "stick to the plan", the weight would start to drop off with those magic words and he could do what ever he wanted. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, magemaud said:

Well, that was a supersized Nothing Burger with extra cheese. If you didn’t watch, don’t bother. Absolutely nothing happened the entire two hours! 

And when you said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, you meant it!! No weigh-in, no trip to Houston, no excursions to grocery store, no restaurant visit, no trying to workout in a gym - it was a bizarre episode! My theory is that it was old, pre-Covid footage that they had originally shelved when he ghosted Dr. Now. Then a few months ago, someone dusted it off and made an episode out of it. What a waste of TV time!

• Love 24
9 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Because of Ryan's size, they can expect quite a sticker shock when they learn how much more both cremation and burial cost for the super morbidly obese.

I'm hoping they took the money they'd set aside for the relocation to Houston and put it in an account to use as a down payment on Ryan's future cremation or burial.

Taking this to small talk.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Cremation is only for those under the weight limit for the crematorium.    There is no way Ryan (or Tammy on 1,000 lb Sisters) will be cremated.  I'm not sure they even make coffins big enough, so packing crate, and forklifts will be needed.  

Is a coffin legally required for internment?  After all, plenty of cultures go without coffins altogether, with a shroud instead.  

My question is, how long before he is no longer able to get up from his chair to go to the bathroom...  and what happens then.  That would be a new low, and not necessarily one his Mom and especially her boyfriend would want to tolerate.  And not just as a (no) hygiene nuisance but also pressure sores would develop pretty quickly...  no way would the two of them be able to turn him frequently even if they wanted to. 

Edited by Hellga
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, JJ1 said:

And when you said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, you meant it!! No weigh-in, no trip to Houston, no excursions to grocery store, no restaurant visit, no trying to workout in a gym 

The closest we got to the usual shower scene was Ryan using baby wipes 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JJ1 said:

My theory is that it was old, pre-Covid footage that they had originally shelved when he ghosted Dr. Now. Then a few months ago, someone dusted it off and made an episode out of it.

I totally agree that this is what happened! I also think that's why we got so many unresolved "6 Month Journeys" with some of the poundticipants last year. Production just cobbled together what they had already filmed before they had to shut down.

Then again, they'll never be able to top the Lacey episode, so they shouldn't have even tried after that! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, JJ1 said:

And when you said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happened, you meant it!! No weigh-in, no trip to Houston, no excursions to grocery store, no restaurant visit, no trying to workout in a gym - it was a bizarre episode! My theory is that it was old, pre-Covid footage that they had originally shelved when he ghosted Dr. Now. Then a few months ago, someone dusted it off and made an episode out of it. What a waste of TV time!

Well, we did get several attempts at a weigh-in at a local clinic where the scale screamed in pain (EEEEEEEEEE) and then yelled ERROR!!! 🤣🤣

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, TazDevil said:

Well, we did get several attempts at a weigh-in at a local clinic where the scale screamed in pain (EEEEEEEEEE) and then yelled ERROR!!! 🤣🤣

The scale wanted to have nothing to do with him! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Probably because most of the time was spent on his cheat meals and dodging Dr. Now. 

It was also the longest "telling his sob story" at the beginning I have ever watched, followed by an equally long video chat with Dr. Now. Plus he had EVERY excuse possible for his weight, except I don't think he played the "molested as a child" card. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

This was so boring. It was basically two hours full of all of the phrases and excuses we've heard from every other person who has been featured on this show, minus anything good (shower scene, big breakfast scene, agonizing car trip scene, fast food drive thru scene, Dr. Now's sourfaced nurse scene, "exercise" scene, etc.)  We heard:

-"I'm sure I'll meet my goal because I am sticking to the program and I can feel that I am so much thinner."

-"A lot has been going on so it's hard to stick to the program but I'm doing really well." (?)

-"I can't exercise because it's slippery out and I must be safe!"

-"There isn't ice anymore but it's cold. I must be safe!" (what about the chair exercises?)

-"My friend is sick and I'm stressed about it so I can't meet (video chat) with Dr. Now."

-"No one could stick to this diet-it's rabbit food basically."

-"I read that a cheat day a week is helpful for staying on track; that way I'm doing the right thing 95% of the time." (math doesn't work)

-"My mom doesn't understand that I need a cheat day- well, maybe a cheat meal here or there- to be successful."

-"The scale must not be working."

-"My mom and her boyfriend can't take me to Houston so now I have  a lot to figure out before I can move. They aren't supportive of me; therefore, I might fail."

-"I am selfish to want to follow a diet while my friend is dying; therefore taking care of myself is wrong."

-"I can definitely meet my goals, but I have a lot to figure out."

-"I never noticed a bunch of missed calls and video calls from Dr. Now. Hmmm."

I was sure, about an hour in, that we would see the black screen at the end- either that he was dead or that he had dropped out.

Dull, dull, dull.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 20
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Thanks for the heads-up, everyone.  We've deleted it from our DVR without watching.  If he can't devote any effort to helping himself, we're not devoting any effort to watch him do nothing.

Wise decision. The only thing that made this episode worthwhile was the chat.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

This guy pissed me off.

He kept insisted he had no support. Bullshit.

His mother was working her ass off to support him, and he refused to do anything to help himself!

And she was trying to make healthier foods, even going so far as to dump out the junk! 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Ryan will likely die of a cause relating to his weight sooner rather than later. Just like the families/SOs of all the other Poundicipants who failed their "weight-loss journey", his mother and stepfather will be responsible for making and paying for all the arrangements relating to his body after death. 

As I said during the live chat, the closest this asshat will come to realizing his "dream" of becoming a firefighter will be when the whole crew at Ladder number 5 has to come and haul his dead ass out of the house.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

As I said during the live chat, the closest this asshat will come to realizing his "dream" of becoming a firefighter will be when the whole crew at Ladder number 5 has to come and haul his dead ass out of the house.

After they knocked out a wall. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

And she was trying to make healthier foods, even going so far as to dump out the junk! 

Exactly. Usually we see the caregivers on this show struggle to deny their kids/spouses the foods they want, even after they talk to Dr. Now, and Ryan's mother didn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
Just now, the-grey-lady said:

Exactly. Usually we see the caregivers on this show struggle to deny their kids/spouses the foods they want, even after they talk to Dr. Now, and Ryan's mother didn't.

When she caught him with the chicken, she took it away from him and was quite angry. 

• Love 7

Pounders, 

If you want to talk about cremation or funeral costs for large people, take it to Small Talk.  This topic keeps coming up in episode threads.  Unless we see an actual poundticipant funeral and costs are discussed on the show, it is off topic.  Posts have been removed. 

i’m watching while making my way thru live chat. you motherfuckers are hilarious! i just got to the part where ryan is exercising by lifting his gigantic thermos of soda, after doing a vigorous load of laundry, and i’m howling. let me guess, he never makes it to houston? 🙄

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

This was a totally boring episode, except for seeing someone consume the entire menu of family packs from various fast food places. 

Except, Ryan's episode is being called the lost episode, it was announced for last season, then all of a sudden it was scheduled for this season.    However, I see why they only showed this when they were desperate for footage.   

It was encouraging to see the support his mother, and her boyfriend gave Ryan, even if it was for a lost cause.    I'm actually glad that his mother and her boyfriend refused to waste their time, and money moving to Houston, getting another place to live, and everything involved in moving.   They could have moved next to Dr. Now's office, and that wouldn't have made Ryan get out of that chair.      

Ryan's cheat days lasted from Sunday through Saturday, and every week.   I bet he was 800 lbs by the end. 

My heart goes out to the poor camera crew who had to film this man for so long.  I hope they got combat pay.   

The worst thing was Ryan was lying to himself, and eating himself to death.     I wouldn't be surprised to see sad news happen for Ryan, but if he won't help himself, then no one can help him.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't blame his mother and boyfriend for not going. Ryan showed not one ounce of really trying his best in earnest. Cheat meals, cheat days..... why upend your life for something that will fail? If he is going to fail at least you can be in your own home. 

Ryan had no  journey, Ryan did nothing. Ryan thought because he said he was going to "stick to the plan", the weight would start to drop off with those magic words and he could do what ever he wanted. 

He had CHEAT DAYS!!! And they were epic!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I hoped that the Montana clinic would send him to a warehouse or somewhere with a scale that goes higher, because they must know where some are.
Someone, maybe the Slaton sisters?, were weighed at a warehouse once.
I thought maybe his mom might have had a stroke at one time, the way her mouth was.
That was indeed a who lot of nothing.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, auntjess said:

I hoped that the Montana clinic would send him to a warehouse or somewhere with a scale that goes higher, because they must know where some are.
Someone, maybe the Slaton sisters?, were weighed at a warehouse once.
I thought maybe his mom might have had a stroke at one time, the way her mouth was.
That was indeed a who lot of nothing.

I was so confused by the whole weight thing. At the beginning of the episode, he said he had been weighed two months earlier. I think maybe he weighed 740 at that point?? Anyway, when the clinic scale couldn’t weigh him, why didn’t he just go back wherever he went two months ago? I think he had been in Montana longer than that so the scale would have been local. 

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Except, Ryan's episode is being called the lost episode, it was announced for last season, then all of a sudden it was scheduled for this season.    However, I see why they only showed this when they were desperate for footage.   

Episode should have just stayed lost! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Wow, Pepper - I think this is the first time I've seen a post get a few hits on each of the five reactions! 

You should get a reward or something for that.

Here you go! *🏆*

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, KateHearts said:

"I am selfish to want to follow a diet while my friend is dying; therefore taking care of myself is wrong."

I don’t think there was a sick or dying friend. Every time he referred to said person, he used “they” or “them.” Unless the person is non-binary (I hope I’m using the right term), normal people describing real people don’t talk like that. My friend is sick; *she* needs me, or “my friend is dying; I should be there for *him.* 

just my opinion. 

Edited by CringeWatcher
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, CringeWatcher said:

I don’t think there was a sick or dying friend. Every time he referred to said person, he used “they” or “them.” Unless the person is non-binary (I hope I’m using the right term), normal people describing real people don’t talk like that. My friend is sick; *she* needs me, or “my friend is dying; I should be there for *him.* 

just my opinion. 

Well, you're probably right. He did lie to Dr. Now about going to Oregon. Then suddenly, he was back in Montana. Dr. Now knew it was all BS.  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Wow, Pepper - I think this is the first time I've seen a post get a few hits on each of the five reactions! 

You should get a reward or something for that.

Here you go! *🏆*

(Bowing) Thank yew, thank yew! Is that the EGOT of Primetimer?

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Is this the first time that we never see any actual weight for a poundticipant?

I was curious at the end when Dr. Now said that Ryan never had any intention of doing the program and that he felt Ryan had "other reasons" for applying to the show. I assumed he meant that Ryan just wanted his five minutes of reality tv fame but what do you guys think?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Is this the first time that we never see any actual weight for a poundticipant?

I was curious at the end when Dr. Now said that Ryan never had any intention of doing the program and that he felt Ryan had "other reasons" for applying to the show. I assumed he meant that Ryan just wanted his five minutes of reality tv fame but what do you guys think?

And whatever monies he was being paid, those cheat days aren't free! Seriously though, companionship, boredom? Who really knows? Maybe he thought if he followed the plan (as he was so successfully doing 🙄) he would lose weight?

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I assumed he meant that Ryan just wanted his five minutes of reality tv fame but what do you guys think?

That’s what I figured, too, but if everyone was “onto” his scheme, why did production reward him by airing his non-journey? He got his fifteen minutes (actually 120 of them) even though there was no effort or resolution. All that footage should have just been deleted and chalked up to filming sessions that never should have been edited into an episode. Were they so desperate to put SOMETHING, ANYTHING on TV Wednesday night? 

And was I so desperate to watch? But the great snarking made it worth it! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

why did production reward him by airing his non-journey?

I'm guessing the biggest expense is actually shooting the footage so once they had it, maybe it made more financial sense to edit it into an episode? They do need a certain amount of content to fill the network viewing hours. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I'm guessing the biggest expense is actually shooting the footage so once they had it, maybe it made more financial sense to edit it into an episode? They do need a certain amount of content to fill the network viewing hours. 

And I assume the sponsors are paying big money to show their ads during a program each week. 

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

I hate with the patients say they're doing the program in a way that works for them ("the way" always includes tons of food they're not supposed to have).

If "your way" worked for you, you wouldn't be 600+ lbs and you wouldn't need help!

I know, I hate when they say they are doing it "my way" or "I know my body"....... it won't work! 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, CringeWatcher said:

just my opinion. 

Not just yours; I was thinking the same thing. I mean, it's obviously possible the friend uses they/them pronouns...but other than some pictures during the monologue, we didn't see him ever actually talking to a friend or other evidence that they exist, did we? (Though if they exist maybe they didn't want to be on tee-vee. Can't blame them if that's the case.)

9 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

(Bowing) Thank yew, thank yew! Is that the EGOT of Primetimer?

So I put the initial letters of the reactions (Like, Laugh, Useful, Sad, Surprise) into an anagram finder to see what came up. The only five-letter word was SULLS. 

Sull: 
Verb
(of an animal) to refuse to go on
(of a person) become sullen; sulk

Seems fitting for this episode.

5 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I know, I hate when they say they are doing it "my way"

They think they're Frank Sinatra?

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 10
On 12/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, KateHearts said:

This was so boring. It was basically two hours full of all of the phrases and excuses we've heard from every other person who has been featured on this show, minus anything good (shower scene, big breakfast scene, agonizing car trip scene, fast food drive thru scene, Dr. Now's sourfaced nurse scene, "exercise" scene, etc.)  We heard:

-"I'm sure I'll meet my goal because I am sticking to the program and I can feel that I am so much thinner."

-"A lot has been going on so it's hard to stick to the program but I'm doing really well." (?)

-"I can't exercise because it's slippery out and I must be safe!"

-"There isn't ice anymore but it's cold. I must be safe!" (what about the chair exercises?)

-"My friend is sick and I'm stressed about it so I can't meet (video chat) with Dr. Now."

-"No one could stick to this diet-it's rabbit food basically."

-"I read that a cheat day a week is helpful for staying on track; that way I'm doing the right thing 95% of the time." (math doesn't work)

-"My mom doesn't understand that I need a cheat day- well, maybe a cheat meal here or there- to be successful."

-"The scale must not be working."

-"My mom and her boyfriend can't take me to Houston so now I have  a lot to figure out before I can move. They aren't supportive of me; therefore, I might fail."

-"I am selfish to want to follow a diet while my friend is dying; therefore taking care of myself is wrong."

-"I can definitely meet my goals, but I have a lot to figure out."

-"I never noticed a bunch of missed calls and video calls from Dr. Now. Hmmm."

I was sure, about an hour in, that we would see the black screen at the end- either that he was dead or that he had dropped out.

Dull, dull, dull.

You left out "I am a very goal-orientated person" and "I have to stay in Montana for a few months to tie up loose ends".

Let's look at #1.  Unless your goal is to hit 1000 lbs, NO goal-orientated person on the face of the earth would say that while pushing 800 lbs.

Now for #2.  You sit on your oversized backside in one of the most disgusting chair/ottoman combinations I have ever seen in my 54 years.  When not eating you stare at the ceiling all day or, like a 10-year old, play video games.  Exactly what "loose ends" are we talking about?  Do you have to finish the neighbors tax returns?  Is there a corporate merger in that neck of Montana which requires Ryan's expertise for the due-diligence and stock combination?  Am I missing something?

On 12/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, Nuccganggang said:

i’m watching while making my way thru live chat. you motherfuckers are hilarious! i just got to the part where ryan is exercising by lifting his gigantic thermos of soda, after doing a vigorous load of laundry, and i’m howling. let me guess, he never makes it to houston? 🙄

When a former employer had a water cooler with the refillable jugs I used to curl the full ones.  I know it doesn't compare to Ryan's soda-keg curls though.

• LOL 6