Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Ryan's Journey

• Start Topic

On 12/16/2021 at 1:56 AM, Hellohappylife said:

Also, “They fired me cause i was too big”

I find that hard to believe that the employer would be that bold, probably said he was under performing & he twisted it to fit his narrative. 

Call center jobs are basically sitting all day,very high turnover rate & not always picky about who they hire. 

I worked at a call center for four years. You don't see customers face to face, so you can wear casual clothes. I also worked with several plus-size people, so to be fired just for that is absurd. I don't buy his excuse here.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I’m just stunned that Ryan got two more pages of Live Chat than Lacey.

With Lacey's Journey, a lot happened, so we were actually watching.   Ryan's non-Journey didn't do anything, so we could type and ignore him.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, catlover79 said:
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

It was a “show about nothing,” like a Seinfeld episode. 

Yeah, but those are usually entertaining! 😉😝😂

True, but, I think the snark here made Ryan's never "taking the first step" in his journey entertaining in its own way. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I worked at a call center for four years. You don't see customers face to face, so you can wear casual clothes. I also worked with several plus-size people, so to be fired just for that is absurd. I don't buy his excuse here.

I think he was more likely fired because it took him so long to get up, eat a huge breakfast, clean up with his wipes, and then find someone with a vehicle big enough to haul his ass to the office.  And if he weren't late already, stopping for fast food on the way to order half of their menu would have taken some time, too.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I think he was more likely fired because it took him so long to get up, eat a huge breakfast, clean up with his wipes, and then find someone with a vehicle big enough to haul his ass to the office.  And if he weren't late already, stopping for fast food on the way to order half of their menu would have taken some time, too.

Management probably got complaints about his smell, too.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Management probably got complaints about his smell, too.

That is a very good point. At the call center I worked for, we all sat at very tiny cubicles. With sitting all day and being in such close proximity of others, that would definitely be a problem.

• Love 6

Or Sid Vicious.

Doing it his own way didn't work out so well for him...

I am a very goal-orientated person

Added to the long list of things I didn't like about Ryan, my grammar pet peeve...

Ryan's soda-keg curls

If he replaced it with water or diet soda (which I know is not on Dr. Now's plan) he would have cut a couple thousand calories from his diet AND he could continue to do his daily "exercise" with his beverage bucket...

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Doing it his own way didn't work out so well for him...

Added to the long list of things I didn't like about Ryan, my grammar pet peeve...

If he replaced it with water or diet soda (which I know is not on Dr. Now's plan) he would have cut a couple thousand calories from his diet AND he could continue to do his daily "exercise" with his beverage bucket...

No it didn't. 

These people can save so many calories by switching to water or unsweetened iced tea! 

• Love 2

It will never happen, but I wish this show would bring the financial benefits of these eating changes into it.  Show us a total for the fast food orders, and then show how much the healthier food cost.  Bring on a financial advisor and teach them how to start saving the difference.  I honestly think some of them could free up a few hundred dollars per month quite easily.  Pipe dreams, I know.

• Like 2
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

It will never happen, but I wish this show would bring the financial benefits of these eating changes into it.  Show us a total for the fast food orders, and then show how much the healthier food cost.  Bring on a financial advisor and teach them how to start saving the difference.  I honestly think some of them could free up a few hundred dollars per month quite easily.  Pipe dreams, I know.

That's a completely rational and logical suggestion, if only it would make a difference to them.  I think it would probably be like explaining to a crack addict how they would not have to live on the street if instead, they got high off of their endorphins by jogging.  They're addicted to the fat, salt and carbs.  Unfortunately, unless they're deep fried, healthy food doesn't cut it for them.

On the other hand, as a viewer I would find it totally useful and interesting!! 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

That's a completely rational and logical suggestion, if only it would make a difference to them.  I think it would probably be like explaining to a crack addict how they would not have to live on the street if instead, they got high off of their endorphins by jogging.  They're addicted to the fat, salt and carbs.  Unfortunately, unless they're deep fried, healthy food doesn't cut it for them.

On the other hand, as a viewer I would find it totally useful and interesting!! 

Almost every 600+ pounder on the show talks about what they would do if they weren't unable to leave their homes.  Maybe they could be shown a list of how much they are spending on food and how that money could be directed to accomplishing their dreams.

For example, monetary lists of: 

Current food costs   -   Cost of 1,200 calorie per day diet   =   Funds for travel, etc.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 12/18/2021 at 5:19 AM, nutella fitzgerald said:

I’m just stunned that Ryan got two more pages of Live Chat than Lacey.

I’m watching the Supersized episode now and wondering how everyone was able to suffer through this live. It’s like My 600 lb Life as narrated by Ferris Bueller’s teacher. 

Based on the comments in this thread, I’m skipping this one. Unless there’s an appearance by the mysterious villainous stepfather, Jeff who I would like to be portrayed by Danny Trejo, whisking open the doors of the MaxiVan or drive-thru window to surprise Ryan.

Edited by charmed1
  • LOL 2

Wish we'd heard more of Ryan's mother's story. 

I thought she was a lot more interesting than Ryan (who really, really doesn't want to stop overeating... end of story).

But this woman had a relationship and a child with a super-morbidly-obese man. If Ryan's father died at 41 weighing 800 lb, he was probably pretty darn large already at the time of their relationship and Ryan's birth. She's seen massive overeating before.

So, did she enable Ryan's father? Or try to stop him going down that path? Did she leave him because he wouldn't stop? 

Did she try to stop Ryan from turning to food when he was younger? Or did she give up on the kid, assuming he was doomed to end up like his dad anyway? Is she trying to make up for that with her efforts to keep Ryan on Dr. Now's diet? Is she getting distressing flashbacks to her time with his father? And how does she feel about all this?

Yikes, there's an entire family saga's worth of material here. 🤯

• Love 3

Apparently Ryan is still alive, and sitting in the recliner, ordering massive amounts of food.   I'm betting he's over 800 lbs by now. 

Some tabloids claim he moved to Houston for a while, but never visited Dr. Now's office.    I bet he never left the La-z-boy, which is so appropriately named in his case.  

• LOL 1