Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Blast From The Past

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

No spoilers.  No information that wasn't known at the time in filming. 

• Start Topic

Jazz's siblings challenge her to lose weight and start socializing; The Jenning's plan a surprise Father's day event for Greg; Jazz's social anxiety is put to the test when she attends her first mixer in over two years and runs into an old flame. 

Original air date 2021.12.07

Watching her family try to get Jazz in shape is really obnoxious.  I’d like to see her family get some professional advice on how nagging and harassing  a person to lose weight rarely works.  It’s not amusing to watch, either.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 18

Oy vey -- five minutes in and Jazz is sitting with the family and talking about having a procedure done to make her nipples smaller.

Next scene is the three other siblings going to the beach for a little fun and respite from the constant Jazz crap at home, but all they talk about is ways to help Jazz get motivated into losing weight.  A brother (like I can tell one from the other/don't care) has decided to organize a mixer for LGBTQ people and put Jazz in the middle of this "fun". You cannot convince me the brother had this brainstorm... I would bet money that the producers cooked that up so the show is not all Jazz sitting like a lump.

Watching her family try to get Jazz in shape is really obnoxious.  I’d like to see her family get some professional advice on how nagging and harassing  a person to lose weight rarely works.  It’s not amusing to watch, either.   

Jeanette is the worst... hovering and spewing doom at Jazz about pre-diabetes as a way to help her. Gads!

EDIT:  It was Jeanette talking about the nipple thing, not Jazz.  Thanks to SunnyBeBe for the correction.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

Oh these people. All of them are so enmeshed. The siblings need to have their own dreams and goals. Jazz needs to meet with a nutritionist and probably be under a doctor's supervision to lose weight in a healthy way. Vision Square- give me a break. Step away from the TV Jennings family. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Ref. The nipple procedure…..I thought that it was Jeanette who wanted it done.  

I think my ears decided to save my brain from hearing this family's bizarre discussions and muffled some of the audio of the show, so I defer to your statement as the truth.

• LOL 4

For years I have watched Jazz spend her days in bed under the covers or on the family sofa covered in a blanket.  She says that she has been depressed for years and that lazy behavior is a sign of that.  Unfortunately she has been resistant to psychiatric help.  As much as she wanted her bottom surgery, she struggled to get the letters of readiness beforehand because she didn’t want to go back to therapy.  She is getting medication from an md, but who knows if it’s a psychiatrist or her primary care.  Her parents and siblings have coddled her for years and this is the result.  I find it impossible to imagine her going to Harvard or taking care of herself in any way.

• Love 13

For years, Jazz was out giving speeches at schools and other places being an advocate for the trans community. Now with the weight gain, she could step up for the overweight/obese demographic.  Go out and tell the world that the fat have rights, show that people can take steps to be healthy otherwise, and need acceptance, just like any other group.  Have her meet with that plus-size model Tess Holliday and see how she handles her issues.   That would at least show that Jazz stands up for her beliefs and embraces her situation. 

You, me and Jazz's secret donut stash know that will never happen -- that doesn't fit into the narrative that the show wants to portray right now.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I’ve never understood people who resist therapy.  I had the opportunity to go a few times and I thought it was awesome.  I have friends who like it as well.   I suppose that some who are in need are threatened in some way…..? Many realty shows that portray obese patients with eating disorders are normally quite resistant to therapy.  They are adamant they don’t need it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, patty1h said:

For years, Jazz was out giving speeches at schools and other places being an advocate for the trans community. Now with the weight gain, she could step up for the overweight/obese demographic.  Go out and tell the world that the fat have rights, show that people can take steps to be healthy otherwise, and need acceptance, just like any other group.  Have her meet with that plus-size model Tess Holliday and see how she handles her issues.   That would at least show that Jazz stands up for her beliefs and embraces her situation. 

You, me and Jazz's secret donut stash know that will never happen -- that doesn't fit into the narrative that the show wants to portray right now.   

But why does she always need to be an advocate? She's only, what, 20, and she's been advocating a long time. (It's like kid actors who by the time they're 26 have been working 20 years.)

My advice (which none of the Jennings are asking for ) is go to the other college and be "just another person" for awhile.

When Jeannette said, "Maybe she'll be a doctor," my reaction was "uh-oh. Harvard again."

I want Jazz to be happy. I also think this show has run its course. It's like the Busby show; it was interesting when the quints were babies up until about age 4 at the most. The story has run its course, at least that's how it seems to me for now.  And that's a good thing, because I think it means her life might be steadying out. The Tuesday night 9 p.m. slot is now the "watch it because nothing else is on" slot, which started with Big Fat Life.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Why isn’t anyone bringing up WW, or Jenny Craig or Noom or any other of those weight loss programs to Jazz? They’re bound to be better than her family constantly nagging her.

Of course Jazz is going to say that she doesn’t regret bottom surgery—what else would she say to that crowd? Never mind that her massive weight gain took place right afterwards. She claims that they are not connected, but it is natural for people to make assumptions. 

Please, no more discussion of nipple reduction surgery. Ouch. At least there wasn’t any dilation talk this episode. 

I hate eating contests—I find them rather disgusting. The watermelon looked good, though  

• Love 4

I hear a lot of contradictions in what Jazz says:

In one moment:

”I don’t care about myself and what makes me happy. I live for others,” 

In the next: 

“I want this for myself. I’m selfish and let me get my food,” (about her food addiction)

In any event… I do think her binge eating has less to do with being transgender and more to do with feeling pressured to go to Harvard (when she wanted to go to Pomona); pressure to be an advocate and inspiration  (while she’s struggling herself); and pressure to live up to the standards of her high performing family (brothers in law school, sister getting a PhD, father an attorney, etc).

I think she would be better served turning the cameras off and finding her own path, away from the circus of reality TV. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

One thing that amazes me is the casual way Jazz pops up and says what she normally eats for breakfast…..like donuts, then 2 bagels….I’m just trying to imagine how she got there.  That’s a lot of empty calories at one time.  Does she think about a veggie omelette, oatmeal or Turkey bacon?  Just curious.  

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right?  Right!  I can't blame the sibs too much because this seems to be the agreed-upon storyline for this year, and they're just doing their parts.  (Ari must need $$ for grad school or something; she typically seemed to be not into doing this show much at all). I wonder if Jazz was included in the original brainstorming session for this season.  Since I started this last week I'll continue it this week and possibly throughout the season:  binge eaters don't leave their garbage at the top of their trash can to be seen and discussed by moms and other observers.  They eat that shit in the car and get rid of the trash on the way home.  Or smuggle it into their room, eat it and sneak the garbage out to the garage when no one is looking.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve never understood people who resist therapy.  I had the opportunity to go a few times and I thought it was awesome.  I have friends who like it as well.   I suppose that some who are in need are threatened in some way…..? Many realty shows that portray obese patients with eating disorders are normally quite resistant to therapy.  They are adamant they don’t need it.  

Addicts do NOT want therapy because they know that it will mean admitting they have a problem, which means doing something about it, which means not getting their fix, and that's the long-term view they're looking at (rather than the long-term view of being healthy).

32 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

Of course Jazz is going to say that she doesn’t regret bottom surgery—what else would she say to that crowd? Never mind that her massive weight gain took place right afterwards. She claims that they are not connected, but it is natural for people to make assumptions. 

I have read first-person accounts of trans adults who say that after their surgery there is a time of euphoria, but after that ends they find themselves drawn back to the same old problems they had pre-surgery, and they still need to deal with them.  In adults it's often over-indulging in alcohol; in Jazz's case it's over-indulging in food.  She had the problem pre-surgery; let it go because she really wanted the surgery so she lost the weight to get her way, and now is back where she started. I think anyone watching this show would agree that she never had any kind of real therapy, such as the doctors were requiring.  I find it interesting that her depression started at age 12, right around the normal time of puberty.  Meanwhile Jeanette is now marrying herself to the "fact" that Jazz is super happy about her surgery and her depression and binge eating is completely unrelated.  "You're really happy!" she announces as she barges into Jazz's room with a scale under one arm and an eye for fast food wrappers in the trash.

The mixer:  I wonder if Jazz was part of THIS session during preseason brainstorming.  Frankly I find it super awkward when they "host" events for "the community" and all of these random people show up.  Do people do that in real life?  Where's Noell?  Where's Jojo?  The high school "friends" that we've seen over the years?  Maybe they're off at school or something, but the fact that they're not even mentioned makes it weird.

Which leads me to my last point - WTF have they all been doing for the last year or so?  My niece is Jazz's age - she was planning on going away to college, but after her HS graduation was ruined she decided that was too risky and stayed home - but she attended community college online, does her workouts, had a small group of HS friends who stayed local, etc.  This bizarre family wants us to believe that they are super into Jazz's health and the Square of Whatever, but apparently she's just spent the past year driving around town buying fast food and coming home to eat it in her room and leave the evidence everywhere.  The Jennings Cup sounds like a nice family activity to do in a local park when people were afraid to hang out together indoors.  Why did it take a gang of tv cameras to get it to happen?  Even the three sibs on the beach - like I said, I don't blame them - but what group of young adults goes to the beach and then gently tosses a ball around like that?  They reminded me of the Brady Bunch kids, only they  (the Bradys) did a better job of acting like they were having fun.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

Zander, Sander or what ever his name is, please shut up and get a life. He is soooo annoying! 

It's obvious the sister doesn't want to partake in this producer shenanigan's but has to for the sake of a storyline (and continued paychecks for the family).

Jeanette's face looks different. I think she got fillers and botox. The wrinkles and saggy jowls are gone. Now her face is puffy. The long hair extensions have to go. At least her makeup looks much better. 

Since when has Jazz become such a social recluse? I can't keep up with how she wants to portray herself. It changes from season to season. One season she has a bunch of friends, going to speaking engagement, etc. The next she hides in bed all day. I think she's all BS. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5

I feel awful for Jazz.  She hasn't accomplished anything real in life, and her family keeps pushing, pushing, and pushing for her to be this advocate hero for people.  It's ok to just be a normal person, instead of going to harvard and being a dr. and being the face and voice of a whole movement.  I don't see anyone in her family, or outside of it treating her like a regular person.  Based on the pre-mixer discussion, she has no friends and rarely leaves the house.  Food is probably her only outlet for feeling good.  There was a line in Game of Thrones book about the eunichs overeat, because it is the only vice they have to them.  Jazz needs a true friend that treats them normally, without expectations, fame, etc.  

• Love 16
5 hours ago, jonesy123 said:

Jazz needs a true friend that treats them normally, without expectations, fame, etc.  

This times 1000.

But if she is just a typical 20 year old, what will Sander and Jeanette do all day?

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Jeanette had plastic surgery during the interim; that was covered either on the show or on SM; I can't remember which...  She's ready for her close-up, Mr. DeMille!

Poor Jazz just looks drugged to me -- eyes half-closed, dull and slow, and they even felt the need to supply subtitles due to the slurring of her words at one point.  Those psychoactive drugs can also really pack on the weight in addition to the hormones, overeating, inactivity, and whatever else she's got going on.  At any rate, her morbid obesity is not a comic story line, which is obviously the tact TLC is taking.

To me it seems Jazz has regressed alarmingly and is actually now mentally and intellectually younger than she was when the show ended but, again, she might just be heavily sedated.  If this is Jazz "so much better," I'd hate to see worse!

Maybe investigate why she needs to be on such powerful medications rather than dismiss everything as "biological" (even her binge-eating disorder) and unfixable?

I almost feel she's being cannibalized by her fame-hungry family; even Griffen, Ari, and the grandparents, who weren't so visible in the past.  It's disturbing.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 10

No one is going to lose weight by having family members weigh them and constantly talk about their weight. It is also clear that Jazz doesn’t want the Q and A mixers where she is once again forced into the spotlight. I’m sure it will be unpopular but I think Jazz’s family should take care of their own lives and leave her alone to handle hers. Maybe she will lose weight on her own, maybe she won’t but it is her body and her life.

• Love 18
19 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Jeanette's face looks different. I think she got fillers and botox. The wrinkles and saggy jowls are gone. Now her face is puffy. The long hair extensions have to go. At least her makeup looks much better. 

The glasses need to go with the extensions! LOL!

So.... 2 episode in and this season's theme is Jazz gets harassed, bullied, and fat shamed by her family. Lovely. The healthiest thing she could do is tell her family to kiss her fat ass and get the hell away from them. Maybe keep in touch with her dad, he's the only one who seems genuinely concerned about her health and not as a story line. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Jeanette had plastic surgery during the interim; that was covered either on the show or on SM; I can't remember which...  She's ready for her close-up, Mr. DeMille!

Poor Jazz just looks drugged to me -- eyes half-closed, dull and slow, and they even felt the need to supply subtitles due to the slurring of her words at one point.  Those psychoactive drugs can also really pack on the weight in addition to the hormones, overeating, inactivity, and whatever else she's got going on.  At any rate, her morbid obesity is not a comic story line, which is obviously the tact TLC is taking.

To me it seems Jazz has regressed alarmingly and is actually now mentally and intellectually younger than she was when the show ended but, again, she might just be heavily sedated.  If this is Jazz "so much better," I'd hate to see worse!

Maybe investigate why she needs to be on such powerful medications rather than dismiss everything as "biological" (even her binge-eating disorder) and unfixable?

I almost feel she's being cannibalized by her fame-hungry family; even Griffen, Ari, and the grandparents, who weren't so visible in the past.  It's disturbing.

All the surgeries in the world aren’t going to cure the problem jazz has

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 12/8/2021 at 12:44 AM, princelina said:

The mixer:  I wonder if Jazz was part of THIS session during preseason brainstorming.  Frankly I find it super awkward when they "host" events for "the community" and all of these random people show up.  Do people do that in real life?  Where's Noell?  Where's Jojo?  The high school "friends" that we've seen over the years?  Maybe they're off at school or something, but the fact that they're not even mentioned makes it weird.

W

Wow just a huge violation of a patients privacy to bring up a procedure they had done or even acknowledge that you saw them at the doctors or hospital! Even if they bring it up. I didn't see you  at the ER no matter what. Jazz needs a class in HIPPA compliance.  Given that the person did agree to filming/ disclosure , the scene still makes Jazz look ignorant.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, xls said:

Wow just a huge violation of a patients privacy to bring up a procedure they had done or even acknowledge that you saw them at the doctors or hospital! Even if they bring it up. I didn't see you  at the ER no matter what. Jazz needs a class in HIPPA compliance.  Given that the person did agree to filming/ disclosure , the scene still makes Jazz look ignorant.

No, it wasn't. Jazz's comments were fine. She's not a covered entity under HIPAA. The regulations apply only to individuals or institutions that electronically transmit certain types of health care records. A doctor emailing a patient's diagnosis to Jazz would be a HIPAA violation; Jazz asking how a procedure went or wondering why a friend was at the ER would not be.

Edited by Passing Strange
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

There's nothing that helps a binge eater more than watching your family stuffing their faces while engaging in a watermelon-eating contest at the park, then embarrassing you by saying you don't fit into the potato sack cos you're too fat at the sack race.  ***sarcasm*** What are the producers and family thinking? Don't they have any input from her mental health provider? (if she has one that prescribes any meds).  IMHO shaming her is not the way to get her to lose weight.  She needs to work on her self esteem and moving forward with her life with school and her ultimate goals.  

If Jeannette and Greg want to do something positive, then take away her car keys/ car insurance and keep only healthy food in the house. Granted, if Jazz has her own car, I'm guessing it's on the parents' insurance for cost purposes.  In Florida, one cannot drive legally without liability insurance. If there's no junk to eat and no way to drive to pick up fast food, then Jazz will either have to walk to Burger King or go without. I can't see her taking the bus to get a bagel at Dunkin. That's called logical consequences and works really well with teenagers/ young adults (I raised two and had to resort to similar tactics with one of mine). Also, why can't she mentor kids at the park? Read to them, play games with them (not everything in her life has to do with her transgenderism and/her new vagina).  

• Love 3
On 12/9/2021 at 2:21 AM, xls said:

I wrote a long post agreeing with you but it got sucked into the ether. So I’ll just quote you and say you are absolutely right. In the real world this is a privacy violation. 

Edited by SongbirdHollow
  • LOL 1

I wonder if part of the problem is now that the surgery is "complete", Jazz gained the weight to avoid any romantic/sexual relationships. Yes, I know overweight people have sexual relationships, but the extra weight can sometimes also be a buffer against intimacy. Food is my vice too, but I have to get a grip because I don't want to go from overweight to morbidly obese (health reasons). And I would like to remain reasonably attractive to the opposite sex.  Jazz is so pretty and has a lot to offer to the right person. But her self confidence is probably pretty low right now and a depressed vibe is something others can often notice and avoid.

I just feel bad for this young adult that has had so many serious issues in her life, pretty much from a very early age. I just want her to be ok.

Also, I think her dad is super cute. 

Edited by seasons
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Finally watching this episode.  A few thoughts . . . 

The potato sacks don't fit over anyone's butt.  They all have to hold up the sack while they hop.  So really Jazz's size what not an issue for fitting into the sack.  

Jazz's siblings need their own damn lives and to let her be her.  Seriously, Sander needs to shut the hell up.  He needs his own life.  Putting more pressure on her is not the way to go.  And yet, that will be the season's theme.  It's like a lesson in how not to help someone. 

For all of them going on about what great shape they are in and how healthy they are, they shine by comparison only.  They look pretty average to me.  None of them are going to be fitness models anytime soon.  

The siblings setting up an LGBTQ mixer/Q&A session is just painful.  Why is Sander someone people would ask questions?  Who gives a hot damn about Sander?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Jazz needs a true friend that treats them normally, without expectations, fame, etc. 

I am not convinced that she could cultivate a true friendship with someone who is not transgender or and advocate for it. She has been a spokesperson and minor celebrity for so long that I am not sure she understands the give and take of normal friendships. Should this friend be transgender, Jazz's fame as spokesperson  would place her in a superior position and thus, a hindrance to true friendship.

• Love 6
On 12/7/2021 at 10:49 PM, JeanJean said:

But why does she always need to be an advocate? She's only, what, 20, and she's been advocating a long time. (It's like kid actors who by the time they're 26 have been working 20 years.)

My advice (which none of the Jennings are asking for ) is go to the other college and be "just another person" for awhile.

When Jeannette said, "Maybe she'll be a doctor," my reaction was "uh-oh. Harvard again."

I want Jazz to be happy. I also think this show has run its course. It's like the Busby show; it was interesting when the quints were babies up until about age 4 at the most. The story has run its course, at least that's how it seems to me for now.  And that's a good thing, because I think it means her life might be steadying out. The Tuesday night 9 p.m. slot is now the "watch it because nothing else is on" slot, which started with Big Fat Life.

Jazz picked Harvard because it’s what Jeanette wanted . Jazz would prolly be happier at Pomona and some distance from her meddling negative mother would be good for her .  There is not gonna be any Harvard…. It would shock me if she attends ( the Jennings need their money maker home to stay on tv) 

• Love 3