Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: Show Group Showdown

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

Pretty good episode. I am one that enjoys Kitty and her comments. Loved seeing the other judges too except that Melissa is really starting to bother me. She used to have this flirty young bubbly style in her commentary but it's just gotten a bit annoying. I'm over her exaggerated commentary and I didnt like when she said she was "mad saying Kelee's name." Like Kelee's not been working her tail off. 

They seemed to zoom in on Alora Rose during auditions. Were they expecting a reaction of some sort?  They didn't mention that Erin was not re-selected. That's always hard but maybe she just didn't have time for it. 

Found it very interesting that Judy said no to Kat being on showgroup. Guess she got overridden. She is one who always says showgroup is for the most technical dancers - but I guess the group has evolved to be more just overall performance.

Also they said "Lexie showed up more this year" -- but hasn't Lexie been on showgroup already for years?

• Love 12

Kitty Carter is back. :)  Where did the lady that used to do the media go?  I like the NFL rep they had step in... she was fun and set a positive spin on media game day questins.

1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

Found it very interesting that Judy said no to Kat being on showgroup. Guess she got overridden. She is one who always says showgroup is for the most technical dancers - but I guess the group has evolved to be more just overall performance.

That ship sailed when VK made SG rookie year.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Melissa is really starting to bother me. She used to have this flirty young bubbly style in her commentary but it's just gotten a bit annoying. I'm over her exaggerated commentary and I didnt like when she said she was "mad saying Kelee's name." Like Kelee's not been working her tail off. 

Melissa has never bothered me (I know unpopular opinion).  That said, qualifiers weaken the message.  Is she a judge or a girlfirend?  If she is a judge she should say, "Kelee did not execute xx, or continues to xx, or shows stength in xx area"  that's what a judge does.  otherwise she is just a talking head.

• Love 6

The cut to Kristen as they said “and the last person on show group is…”. Idk why I laughed but she’s got to be thinking they treat her like a second-class citizen.
Also to see an incredible dancer like Lea not make show group or Ava getting bottom 5 from Melissa while Kat makes show group is a joke. 

7BC8160E-ACC3-467F-A177-B3DBC7785A0A.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13

Loved having a whole episode dedicated to show group!

I enjoy solos, but it felt a little redundant to have a judge's showcase at the beginning of the season and then also perform them at show group auditions. I do think solos make more sense with show group. 

Also loved having interviews as part of SG auditions instead of finals. Glad to see Kitty back as a judge but not a coach. Imo her style is too aggressive for a guest choreographer or technique coach, but I love hearing her opinions on the TCCs. Did anyone feel like she said that she wanted Ava on show group just to annoy Melissa? 

I loved them acknowledging how extra Kaydianna can seem at times, but I agree that it's better to be too extroverted then too introverted on appearances. I'm so curious why Lea didn't make SG. It seems like TPTB and the guest judges cannot stop raving about what a talented dancer she is.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

The cut to Kristen as they said “and the last person on show group is…”. Idk why I laughed but she’s got to be thinking they treat her like a second-class citizen.
Also to see an incredible dancer like Lea not make show group or Ava getting bottom 5 from Melissa while Kat makes show group is a joke. 

I get why they wouldn't go for Ava for SG at this point...why give her a SG spot if you aren't even sure you want her on the team. But after what we've seen from Lea and Rebecca ( that trio with Claire) How the heck aren't either on SG? 

• Love 12

Being honest, Lea does not have the “DCC look” (although she’s grown on me a little) and I have to think that’s the only reason she was left off show group and out of the top 36 for so long 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 17

So very happy for Jaylyn!  Hubby came in the room while K was announcing SG and said "gosh they all look so happy."  And I thought-- they really are having the time of their lives.

Maybe Kat is in SG because of her outgoing personality (good for personal appearances).

Ava just did not do it this week.

Nothing bad to say about TPTB.  

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 2

There was too much time spend on SG auditions IMO.

Glad to see Jalen make it back to SG. I still say she was cut so Victoria could have a spot. This year no VK so she's back. That's my (unpopular) opinion and I'm sticking to it.

If Judy said Kat was "phoning it in" why did she make SG? She probably got voted down.

• Love 12

Happy to see Jalyn make it back to show group. Regardless of whether she deserved to be on show group her second year, the way Kelli treated her was awful. Jalyn did nothing wrong by stepping out for a minute and collecting herself. People aren’t robots.

Im a Kat fan, so I’m happy for her (and her teammates definitely seemed to be) but I think her looks played a part in her making show group. Likewise, I think Lea’s looks played a part in her not making show group.

More unnecessary Maddie scenes….I was fine with her being included a couple of episodes ago because she gave relevant advice, but continually talking about her like she’s the world’s best hip hop dancer or one of the best DCCs when she is/was neither has gotten old quick.

I liked Ashley, but they couldn’t really justify keeping her further. That cut needed to happen.

I think Tyra is my favorite TCC. She is a great dancer, and she always seems so positive about her fellow TCCs. I like Kaydianna. She definitely deserves to make the team, but I’ve always thought her dancing was extra and not in a good way. I’m glad to see Tori doing well too, but I admittedly get her and veteran Dani mixed up sometimes.

• Love 14

Biggest pet peeve from this episode: not only were the solos repeated from the judges' showcase from the first episode, they focused on the SAME DANCERS. Seriously. Caroline, Rachel, Claire, Amber, Armani, Ava, Tyra, we saw extended footage of their solos the first time around, if you're going to repeat the solos, show us different people!

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

Happy to see Jalyn make it back to show group. Regardless of whether she deserved to be on show group her second year, the way Kelli treated her was awful. Jalyn did nothing wrong by stepping out for a minute and collecting herself. People aren’t robots.

They'd have moaned if she'd have stayed in the room and huffed and puffed for a while. Always better to remove yourself from the situation, take a breather and go again. TC is a pressure cooker at the best of times!

• Love 9
32 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I always hate those uniforms they wear for showgroup auditions. Is it just me? I just think they are the worst. 

Firm believer that they should all wear the same outfit, rookies and vets, so you can compare without judgement. If a vet isn't as good or better than a rookie, their position should be at risk. 

9 minutes ago, DCCFan2021 said:

Biggest pet peeve from this episode: not only were the solos repeated from the judges' showcase from the first episode, they focused on the SAME DANCERS. Seriously. Caroline, Rachel, Claire, Amber, Armani, Ava, Tyra, we saw extended footage of their solos the first time around, if you're going to repeat the solos, show us different people!

I'd have loved to have seen rookies who got onto SG as well as the vets who made it for the first time/returned!

• Love 6
13 hours ago, MeeMee2 said:

I get why they wouldn't go for Ava for SG at this point...why give her a SG spot if you aren't even sure you want her on the team. But after what we've seen from Lea and Rebecca ( that trio with Claire) How the heck aren't either on SG? 

I think we have to remember what show group is about , it’s not a lyrical or contemporary based group. I agree on the technique of all 3 in the dance style they excel at. BUT are any of those things ever used during appearances or even during a game for that matter . No. 
So I get it. 

• Love 7

I think we have to remember what show group is about , it’s not a lyrical or contemporary based group. I agree on the technique of all 3 in the dance style they excel at. BUT are any of those things ever used during appearances or even during a game for that matter? No. 
So I get it. The girls that make it are fun to watch and good dancers, for Showgroup. So the Tyra, KayDianna, Tori, make sense to me. 
It’s entertainment , Not SYTYCD. 

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, DCCFan2021 said:

Totally agree! We all know Claire’s solo was good. We don’t need to see it again and see the judges’ reactions again. Show us stuff we haven’t already seen. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

There was too much time spend on SG auditions IMO.

Glad to see Jalen make it back to SG. I still say she was cut so Victoria could have a spot. This year no VK so she's back. That's my (unpopular) opinion and I'm sticking to it.

If Judy said Kat was "phoning it in" why did she make SG? She probably got voted down.

It came across as though she was punished for not responding appropriately when she initially lost her spot. It's like they were allowing her to get back on SG by behaving the way they wanted.

Kat on SG is a joke. She's not at all a technically trained dancer, and her media relations skills aren't on par with others.

Ashley's cut was ridiculously dramatic. It's obvious her dancing isn't on the level it needs to be. The sad music and car pulling away literally looked like an exit from "The Bachelor". I get that they like her, but she wasn't good enough.

The SG reveal was just weird. It's like they're looking for things to make better TV.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Peanutflutter33 said:

Did Kristen make showgroup?  I know she has a lot of fans, but I always found her to be a blender.  I felt like her signing was the asset she had that tipped the scales to make the team. 

Edited by Mardo2044

I'd be annoyed that I had to dress, hair, makeup to show up at a mandatory to announce showgroup.  I think it's better at the end of practice.  The only good thing about this way, is if you were disappointed you would not have to stay long and be accused of being unprofessional if you are crying or not "into" practice.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Judy gets overriden A LOT -- to the point that she has basically stopped saying much of anything in the past (don't know how she's been the past couple of seasons since I haven't watched. It is Kelli's team & Kelli makes the decisions.

• Love 14

This time they DID show the leader board where you could read the names.  I wish they would lose a vet so Lea could have a spot.  She is a solid and clean dancer.  I just think she needs to ramp up the DCC look (makeover) because she has a bit more plain natural look that they do not care for. In some ways she reminds me of Ann Luxe who was one of my favorites but criticized not for her dance but being quiet or some odd thing.   I also like that they show Ashlinn above several vets so she is "safe" to make the team!  I could not say about the TC that are above the line because there are some just not featured really to have an opinion.  I don't feel like I know anything about Presley, Jensen or Rebecca's dancing.

DCC_1.jpg

Edited by Mardo2044
add pic
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

It came across as though she was punished for not responding appropriately when she initially lost her spot. It's like they were allowing her to get back on SG by behaving the way they wanted.

Kat on SG is a joke. She's not at all a technically trained dancer, and her media relations skills aren't on par with others.

Ashley's cut was ridiculously dramatic. It's obvious her dancing isn't on the level it needs to be. The sad music and car pulling away literally looked like an exit from "The Bachelor". I get that they like her, but she wasn't good enough.

The SG reveal was just weird. It's like they're looking for things to make better TV.

There was no real way Jaylin could respond.  If she was upset for being cut, TPTB but be upset with her reaction.  If she showed no reaction, she’d likely be blasted for that as well, since TPTB feel DCC should make it their life’s purpose.

• Love 14

Man never been so pleased for Jayln. You can tell it was coming when it starts with them talking about Jayln's show group trials. 

But can someone give me a break down of the "actual" cuts/walk outs by this weeks show please? As we all know this show never show everything "in order". Who has already "walked out" by this weeks episode.

I am still surprised they have not touched on any vets retiring at all yet. I am willing to be its to do with the fact that VK left and they don't want to touch on it because VK retired after the "deadline" for giving in the notice to retire? Also does anyone know/remember what "week" Daphne left due to her injury? I thought they'd have shown her leaving the week after they talked to her in the stadium "make shift office" and the trailer at the end talks/shows her leaving etc.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blue hues said:

There was no real way Jaylin could respond.  If she was upset for being cut, TPTB but be upset with her reaction.  If she showed no reaction, she’d likely be blasted for that as well, since TPTB feel DCC should make it their life’s purpose.

I think they wanted her not to react at all. That would've been the DCC way. Feigning happiness no matter what.

• Love 5

I liked seeing so much dancing. These dancers must be  by far the most talented group .

I’m not sure which 5 I’m not picking to make the team. I don’t like Ava and Ashley was obvious. I still prefer Kelee over some blender blondes. 

very happy for Jalyn. Ambivalent about Kat.

also  the girls did great with interviews. They seem more polished than the other years. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I always hate those uniforms they wear for showgroup auditions. Is it just me? I just think they are the worst. 

I actually love them. The girls look great doing hiphop in them.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Kamal said:

I actually love them. The girls look great doing hiphop in them.

I liked the originals ones that were all kind of different—some pants, some shorts, different shirts. I couldn’t find a great pic but these show them a little. 

BD760F81-94FF-4622-B30E-3F74F0400A1C.jpeg

A5855195-2172-45B3-BDE0-ADEEB43B5BA2.jpeg

• Love 11

On 10/30/2021 at 12:23 AM, superbity said:

Being honest, Lea does not have the “DCC look” (although she’s grown on me a little) and I have to think that’s the only reason she was left off show group and out of the top 36 for so long 🤷🏻‍♀️

You're right....she doesn't have the look.  It's not enough that she's a great dancer.  She's got to be able to be noticed in a sea of beautiful or very pretty women, and at this point she doesn't stand out.  After all these weeks she's still fading into the woodwork.  That's why she didn't make SG. 

Let's hope next week she gets a great makeover which includes some veneers.  With a killer smile, attractive hair and professional makeup, coupled with her superior dance ability, she'll quickly move into the safe zone where she belongs.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Uk-Eve said:

I am still surprised they have not touched on any vets retiring at all yet. I am willing to be its to do with the fact that VK left and they don't want to touch on it because VK retired after the "deadline" for giving in the notice to retire? 

They aren't touching VK exit at all.  Guess we are just not supposed to notice.  Amanda is off the board as well, no explanation.  Maybe Amanda had instagram influencer goals or something?

Edited by Mardo2044
noticed Amanda gone
  • Love 4

so when training camp is going on  - learning new dances - one is supposed to be working on another new solo, in your off time,  to do at show group  -  IE one that wasn't done at finals ? 

Surprised me when Kelli said with a smile, not to mention allowed to have a judges chair, to someone who cheered for another NFL team . Wow - heaven forbid someone cheered for another club and then went onto another profession besides dance and is on another network...Let me check the news to see if the Devil is in need of a winter coat..

Ole Neil was unavailable to judge this event. ? Hard to believe he would miss an opportunity to be involved up close..

Edited by sATL
35 minutes ago, sATL said:

so why training camp is going on  - learning new dances - one is supposed to be working on another new solo, in your off time,  to do at show group  -  IE one that wasn't done at finals ?

It wasn’t new solos, they did the same ones they did for the judges’ showcase. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, sATL said:

so why training camp is going on  - learning new dances - one is supposed to be working on another new solo, in your off time,  to do at show group  -  IE one that wasn't done at finals ? 

Surprised me when Kelli said with a smile, not to mention a judges chair, to someone who cheered for another NFL team . Wow - heaven forbid someone cheered for another club and then went onto another profession besides dance and is on another network...Let me check the news to see if the Devil is in need of a winter coat..

Ole Neil was unavailable to judge this event. ? Hard to believe he would miss an opportunity to be involved up close..

I think Neil usually (but not always?) does the intial judging only.  For show group, they tend to have mostly technical folks.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode, especially the judges' deliberations.  I'd love to see whom each judge picked to cut.  I was surprised to see Lea and Megan in the bottom five because they seem to earn high praise from the guest judges.

Like others mentioned above, I would have liked to see solos that weren't already featured.  We get it: Claire, Rachel, Gina, and Caroline are great. I'd especially like to see more of the second year girls because I feel like I didn't get to know them at all last season.  Looking at you, Dani, Darian, and Jessica!

It was time for Ashley to go.  I hope she tries out again because she is gorgeous and seemed really sweet.

Ava, yuck.  Kleine, meh.  Rebecca, looks like Tia from the Bachelor.  Tyra, yes please!  I like KayDianna, too, but I wish she would lift her chin more when she dances.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Need to do  a small recap refresher  on my own- what episode did they do a backstory on Ashley W? Just curious as to her dance story/background.  

I thought she was sweet, but brave to ask for another 30 minutes to show what she can do. I like that K&J came up with concreate things to work on.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

This time they DID show the leader board where you could read the names.  I wish they would lose a vet so Lea could have a spot.  She is a solid and clean dancer.  I just think she needs to ramp up the DCC look (makeover) because she has a bit more plain natural look that they do not care for. In some ways she reminds me of Ann Luxe who was one of my favorites but criticized not for her dance but being quiet or some odd thing.   I also like that they show Ashlinn above several vets so she is "safe" to make the team!  I could not say about the TC that are above the line because there are some just not featured really to have an opinion.  I don't feel like I know anything about Presley, Jensen or Rebecca's dancing.

DCC_1.jpg

wasn't it prejudicial (if that is the correct word) to show where the TCC stands on the board , before they vote , esp. who to give out their 5 stickers ?

I mean its like getting ready to go vote and you know who are the front runners

Edited by sATL
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

After a 2 year drought, we saw a lot of Jalyn this episode, which is great.  Same with Gina.  They hardly ever featured her the last 2-3 years, but now she seems to finally be on K&J's radar.  Keeping my fingers crossed for next week.

The person standing next to Jalyn as they called SG names....I thought 'who is that beautiful girl'?  I didn't think it was Rachel, but it turned out it was her.  I had no idea she was that pretty.  

• Love 5
On 10/30/2021 at 2:02 AM, Lona said:

Happy Judy was honest about Kat. Sad she was overridden, but oh well lol. 

I hope Judy spoke her reasons why off camera - ie go into more detail. 

One of my guesses would be (right after not being technically trained, needs more pvt classes in that realm,  and that shows at times) is that Kat plays too much. Show group has to make changes on the fly - like when they arrive at a venue  - ie music considerations,  maybe the stage is small and/or trying to gage the entrance/exit to the stage.  Kat , to me seems like the "life of the party" type - fun to be around but when it comes to serious, stressful last minute getting down to business, she needs a little more "time".

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3