Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: Show Group Showdown

Emma Snyder
Message added by Emma Snyder,

This is a spoiler free topic. If it did not happen on THIS episode, please do not discuss.

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Namcot said:

Is a Rookie or Veteran making the show group also a guarantee spot on the final squad ?

Officially not. But I can’t recall anyone who made show group and was cut after. I think they’re only saying it’s not a guaranteed spot to keep everyone on their toes… I guess we can safely say that making SG means you’re in😉

• Love 1

My thoughts on the episode:

Happy for Jalyn to make show group again, she was robbed. However, she needs to get some real makeup guidance. The microbladed eyebrows with all the makeup looks clownish to me. It bums me out bc I adore her but how has nobody told her to tone it all down?

Kat making SG, same as Victoria making it for me. Kat does not have the skills. I'm over them trying to force her down our throat. Is she fun some think she is, however, the goofy act is as tired as her wigs. When she overly exaggerates all I see are her teeth. Again, if she'd just stop forcing it, I probably wouldn't notice. 

Melissa Rycroft, just stop being so overdramatic. I'm so over her.

The Maddie reference again, enough already she was hardly the best DCC dancer she's gone move along.

Kitty looked like she was going to a business meeting and that was laughable to me bc i'm not buying what she's selling. Though her hair looked a tad better.

Poor Kristin looking surprised at not making SG bless her heart. I feel like the only reason she's on the team is so they can parade her out to sign the national anthem. After how they treated her last year she deserves better and really should move on.

• Love 18

Somebody check me on this.....did KaShara ever make SG?  For some reason I never thought she did.

Why does everyone have to try out?  I'm sure there's been a few through the years that due to work or school commitments could not take on the monumental commitment of SG.

Judy is head choreographer of the DCC.  Surely if she thinks someone isn't good enough to be on SG that should be the overriding decision.  Even Kat knew she shouldn't be on.  I like Kat, and I do think she's improved tremendously over her rookie season, but there's no way she should have been selected.  I'd like to think it was producer driven, but we've seen Kelli disregard Judy's critiques many times over the years.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Mardo2044 said:

They aren't touching VK exit at all.  Guess we are just not supposed to notice.  Amanda is off the board as well, no explanation.  Maybe Amanda had instagram influencer goals or something?

Which is sad. I think thats kind of the reason they just left straight into training camp in episode 1 without too much touching of prelims/semis/finals. Which I thought was very odd and rang alarm bells to me of "I bet they wont touch on the retiring vets because of VK". I wanted to know why Kelsey Lowrance never made it back in their eyes.

2 hours ago, JapMo said:

After a 2 year drought, we saw a lot of Jalyn this episode, which is great.  Same with Gina.  They hardly ever featured her the last 2-3 years, but now she seems to finally be on K&J's radar.  Keeping my fingers crossed for next week.

The person standing next to Jalyn as they called SG names....I thought 'who is that beautiful girl'?  I didn't think it was Rachel, but it turned out it was her.  I had no idea she was that pretty.  

Because Rachel "blended" into the squad the previous years. 

5 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Somebody check me on this.....did KaShara ever make SG?  For some reason I never thought she did.

Why does everyone have to try out?  I'm sure there's been a few through the years that due to work or school commitments could not take on the monumental commitment of SG.

Judy is head choreographer of the DCC.  Surely if she thinks someone isn't good enough to be on SG that should be the overriding decision.  Even Kat knew she shouldn't be on.  I like Kat, and I do think she's improved tremendously over her rookie season, but there's no way she should have been selected.  I'd like to think it was producer driven, but we've seen Kelli disregard Judy's critiques many times over the years.

She did make it her last few years (I think). I lost track of who completely was on showgroup the last few years tbh. Unless I am wrong on that.

Its the same as those "dots" that they give out to guest choreos/group leaders to "decide" who those people notices of who should make the team and it was just done for the tv. Because didnt VK get like 2 or 3 votes to be in the squad in those "votes" one year, esp that year when Kashara "questioned" VK in terms of "I'm not sure of VK because sometimes she says things and I just think did you think about it before you said that"? Same as Lisa and both still made the team.  

• Love 4
On 10/30/2021 at 1:23 AM, superbity said:

Being honest, Lea does not have the “DCC look” (although she’s grown on me a little) and I have to think that’s the only reason she was left off show group and out of the top 36 for so long 🤷🏻‍♀️

How so? I think she’s adorable and very unique . She’s no less “ dcc look “ than many others they have had in the past 🤷‍♀️

• Love 8
On 10/30/2021 at 1:18 PM, DCC-UK said:

Firm believer that they should all wear the same outfit, rookies and vets, so you can compare without judgement. If a vet isn't as good or better than a rookie, their position should be at risk. 

I agree they should wear the same outfit--those uniforms are just my least favorite

• Love 6

I may be the only one but i love the uniforms they wear for auditions.

I am very impartial to Kat - don't love her, don't hate her. I wish they showed us how many judges voted for her. If Judy was the only one who voted against her and everyone else loved her, I can see why they put her in.  That's not to say they don't ignore the judges comments in other scenarios but I can understand it here.

Soz I am not a fan of KayDianna. She grates on me. Klein is growing on me but the constant comparisons to Maddie and her hiphop are annoying. 

• Love 8

As to Judy being overridden by Kelli, she must be willing to put up with Kelli’s behavior as this has been going on for years & they are still close friends. There are things people are willing to overlook to keep their job.  Think of all the complaints you have heard or read about yet those people stay with their jobs.  Judy must be willing to pay the price.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2021 at 2:54 PM, Route66 said:

It came across as though she was punished for not responding appropriately when she initially lost her spot. It's like they were allowing her to get back on SG by behaving the way they wanted.

Kat on SG is a joke. She's not at all a technically trained dancer, and her media relations skills aren't on par with others.

Ashley's cut was ridiculously dramatic. It's obvious her dancing isn't on the level it needs to be. The sad music and car pulling away literally looked like an exit from "The Bachelor". I get that they like her, but she wasn't good enough.

The SG reveal was just weird. It's like they're looking for things to make better TV.

Ashlee and Nicole Hamilton aren't/weren't technically trained and they both KILL(ED) it on show group. 

Like her or not, you can't deny that Kat is an entertainer/performer.  And she has stepped up her DCC power tremendously.

• Love 12
23 hours ago, TB12 said:

Kat making SG, same as Victoria making it for me. Kat does not have the skills. I'm over them trying to force her down our throat. Is she fun some think she is, however, the goofy act is as tired as her wigs. When she overly exaggerates all I see are her teeth. Again, if she'd just stop forcing it, I probably wouldn't notice. 

I fully support your post.  The other girls must have a lot more patience than I have because I wouldn't be able to stand five minutes of her ditsy, space cadet, gee willikers routine.  Another poster added some very valuable comments too; she seems like she's always so busy with her "act" and yukking it up, she likely has a hard time buckling down, shutting up and paying attention when needed.  She also cannot learn choreography quickly and on the fly.  How pretty she may or may not be doesn't make up for her obvious shortcomings as a dancer.  I'm really sorry that Judy was overruled.  

I was so surprised that Lea was bottom 5!  I'm looking forward to her make-over the most.  I'm so curious whether they'll play into her shorter hair and give her something like a pixie (and then she'll be cut) or if they'll load her up with extensions.  Also looking forward to changes to KayDianna and Kellee's hair.     

Can they please retire that God awful video of Maddie's solo and her doing that move where she looks like a frog somersaulting through the air??  

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
On 10/31/2021 at 9:54 AM, LilyD said:

But I can’t recall anyone who made show group and was cut after.

I believe Sunni did in Season 3

23 hours ago, JapMo said:

She did

23 hours ago, JapMo said:

Why does everyone have to try out?

They don't.  They say they do, but remember Season 12 when Kitty asked Milan why she didn't try out for SG?  It's a "big honor" to make show group, but you're right in that many girls had work/school and never tried out

3 hours ago, cherryblossom said:

As to Judy being overridden by Kelli, she must be willing to put up with Kelli’s behavior as this has been going on for years & they are still close friends. There are things people are willing to overlook to keep their job.  Think of all the complaints you have heard or read about yet those people stay with their jobs.  Judy must be willing to pay the price.

The thing also with their jobs is there is no where else to go - can't go up/down or lateral. They are deeply rooted and committed to the Dallas area, and its not like there is really another position they could do within the organization. So, yes, take the good with the bad, there will be good days and bad days, this too shall pass , and in a few decades will retire, live off payments put away while working for "the family" and live life in peace. Well done good and faithful servants.

I wouldn't be surprised off camera Judy told some vet to make Kat their "little sister" on SG - ie keep an eye out and help her along. And place her in very strategic spots during performances

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

Late to the party and I haven't finished, but I like Klein's white girl hip hop better than Maddie's white girl hip hop. Also, I love getting a little focus on the vets during the SG episode.

Was the music they played for Claire's solo The Tango Maureen from rent? or just a tango? Either way, kind of a weird choice for a lyrical solo (although she looked incredible, as per usual.)

• Love 2

All of show group rarely performs.  I believe the bigger important shows Kat won't be in them or she will be put somewhere in the back row in the middle.  the judges saw Kat's performance that day and at least Melissa saw the showcase earlier in the season.  Judy sees Kat all season.  Kat has improved  a lot and she gave a decent answer.  Her usual "act" because it does come across as an "act" I personally find embarrassing for women.  The trying to dumb down  is sad.  I will give her that she is a well liked by her teammates.  They seemed happy for her but as surprised as we were are.    I do hope Judy has some of show group greats big sister her and give her some tips so she can improve more.

• Love 8

Yeah .. I get it but I have noticed that someone must like her. She’s been featured during most of the  whole show . She’s everywhere. I’ve been checking out her IG and she is supported heavily. 
To each it’s own but I can’t be mad at her . She’s killin it. She’s got a great look, she’s entertaining  and with training they will probably tone her down , if they haven’t already . I’ve watched for a while and there are several others that are like that, that are leading . 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Love 5

Anyone else feel like the whole Jalynn return to show group storyline was contrived to make a TV show episode?
Sorry, not buying that she somehow didn't deserve to be on SG her 2nd and 3rd year. Please.

They even featured it again in this week's overtime episode where they interview Jalynn. And she smiled through it and provided answers they wanted to hear-  kudos to her, I would have been tempted to tell them how I really felt about it - but she is taking the higher road and likely trying to end her DCC tenure on top. 
Overtime link:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVop4Jar2ez/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Love 15

did anyone make SG that we did not see dance (even  a snippet) or back stage dressed awaiting their solo turn, congratulating, streching, etc ?

Edited by sATL
3 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Anyone else feel like the whole Jalynn return to show group storyline was contrived to make a TV show episode?
Sorry, not buying that she somehow didn't deserve to be on SG her 2nd and 3rd year. Please.

They even featured it again in this week's overtime episode where they interview Jalynn. And she smiled through it and provided answers they wanted to hear-  kudos to her, I would have been tempted to tell them how I really felt about it - but she is taking the higher road and likely trying to end her DCC tenure on top. 
Overtime link:

Jalynn TOTALLY deserved to be on Show Group her 2nd and 3rd year as she's consistently been one of their top performers and dancers the entire time.  However, Kelli didn't want her on Show Group those years for whatever reason and, if a girl is on her Sh*t List, the girl will have to work her butt off (or leave the team) to get back in Kelli's good graces.

I wonder how Jalynn dealt with Kelli's bad attitude and dislike towards her the past 2 years.  She definitely showed grace, poise and maturity the entire time.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Overtime link:

That overtime link is interesting. I do think the Jalyn comeback was probably a known result prior to the audition. 

Also interesting that Judy said some of the show group judges "had veterans" on their bottom five list - to be cut list. Interesting that none of that aired on the episode but then they put it on the overtime.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, UnicornKicksBack said:

Jaylin wtf has she done to her teeth and face. These girls have got to stop.

I really do wish that her and Gina would stop messing with their faces. They're two beautiful girls who don't need anything done.

• Love 6

I am actually surprised that Kelli allowed Jalyn back on SG as there was no real data that Jalyn’s dance & ambassador skills had plummeted. And then to seem to magnanimously grant her another try at SG with a swish of her fairy wand! Wonder if Kelli will allow her on SG next year or is she better off retiring?

• Love 2
On 11/1/2021 at 7:48 PM, Longtime Lurker said:

Was the music they played for Claire's solo The Tango Maureen from rent? or just a tango? Either way, kind of a weird choice for a lyrical solo (although she looked incredible, as per usual.)

I think it was just tango music, but the beginning of Tango Maureen is just generic tango music, too (at least I think).  The actual song that she danced to was the tango version of Roxanne from Moulin Rouge.  I liked her music choice, definitely different than what we've seen for lyrical solos before!

• Love 8
20 hours ago, UnicornKicksBack said:

Jaylin wtf has she done to her teeth and face. These girls have got to stop.

Out of all the girls I think Gina, Caroline, and Jalyn NEED to chill with the injections. Madeline M is slowly getting there too. My boyfriend watched the episode with me and said "ew" when one of them got on the screen. Not gonna share who it was, but even a man can tell it's just too much. Jalyn was so damn gorgeous before all the work. A true natural beauty. All 3 were.

Edited by DCC93
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, DCC93 said:

Out of all the girls I think Gina, Caroline, and Jalyn NEED to chill with the injections. Madeline M is slowly getting there too. My boyfriend watched the episode with me and said "ew" when one of them got on the screen. Not gonna share who it was, but even a man can tell it's just too much. Jalyn was so damn gorgeous before all the work. A true natural beauty. All 3 were.

I agree that the injections are too much sometimes, and I hate that this has become standard among young women who are absolutely gorgeous and don't need any tweeking.

Despite this ... I really do like Jalynn's new look. She was stunning before, but I think she looks fabulous this season! I felt like she was one where small tweeks here and there actually can look good. Gina also looks better, but has gone overboard on everything. Love Caroline, but this season, seems like things went the wrong direction. Erin and Taylor both look like they have also had some minor facial work done - I liked them both better more natural, beautiful in their own right.  Madeline M. I think looks better, but she has been changing her face every season, so it's probably time to stop.

As for the older ladies, Kelli clearly had her eyes done. Way less bags and wrinkles, I think she also looks better. MRS, no. Way too much shine and frozen look there. I appreciated her as her authentic self not a laminated vinyl face.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2021 at 8:48 PM, Longtime Lurker said:

Late to the party and I haven't finished, but I like Klein's white girl hip hop better than Maddie's white girl hip hop. Also, I love getting a little focus on the vets during the SG episode.

I agree I really liked Kleine’s solo a lot,  it was super fun and full of energy! 

Claire’s  solo was a fusion of jazz, ballroom and lyrical.  I thought it was brilliant and I loved that it was an actual choreographed dance. 

Edited by DancerMom
Because commas are necessary!
On 11/1/2021 at 5:39 PM, scorpio1031 said:

They don't.  They say they do, but remember Season 12 when Kitty asked Milan why she didn't try out for SG?  It's a "big honor" to make show group, but you're right in that many girls had work/school and never tried out

I wish Kitty called out Danielle Barhold when she don't try out for show group. Because as we all know Danielle and Jasmine's first year they had no job etc and then Danielle ended up with that job as a recruitment person for that agency and is now the manager at that job

On 11/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, scorpio1031 said:

I believe Sunni did in Season 3

She did

that is why I don't think they should punish someone from not doing the guest SG routines perfectly. if they had no intentions of trying out for SG. Learn the routine, do you best to stay out of the critique line of fire (but get noticed), and keep on going. I guess it does sting a little with K&J and probably Kitty, knowing on day 1 of a season a vet, doesn't want to do show group for non-dancing reasons,

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
On 10/31/2021 at 1:51 PM, TB12 said:

Happy for Jalyn to make show group again, she was robbed. However, she needs to get some real makeup guidance. The microbladed eyebrows with all the makeup looks clownish to me. It bums me out bc I adore her but how has nobody told her to tone it all down?

This and her blown-up lips...I can't. And she's one of my faves. It pains me

Just watched the ep

Kleine's solo was a whole lot of nothing. It's interesting to see who gets away without having precious technique

Ashley's cut was kind of dramatic, but I love how she seemingly didn't grovel and didn't fall apart. She was very mature. And I think it's so sweet how much Kelli and Judy like her. She definitely wasn't ready, but I hope she comes back stronger. I'd love to see her on the team. Seems like a lot of people were pulling for her, it's cute

Tyra loves her some crocodile tears

WHY DID THEY SHOW ALL THE EXACT SAME SOLOS

I find KayDianna insanely annoying. And her name drives me crazy, it's so clunky 

Weird how Presley has gotten so far while getting so little positive attention? She kind of looks like a less pretty Hannah, with a bigger forehead. People endlessly talk about how Lea doesn't have the look, but weirdly I haven't really seen anyone say that about Presley

• Love 7
On 10/29/2021 at 10:23 PM, superbity said:

Being honest, Lea does not have the “DCC look” (although she’s grown on me a little) and I have to think that’s the only reason she was left off show group and out of the top 36 for so long 🤷🏻‍♀️

On 10/31/2021 at 12:28 PM, GenX88 said:

How so? I think she’s adorable and very unique . She’s no less “ dcc look “ than many others they have had in the past 🤷‍♀️

15 hours ago, Love 2 C U Smile said:

Every time I look at her all I can see is Martha May Whovier…

Lea is gorgeous. I don't think they left her off SG because she didn't have the "look" - they expanded SG to 18 this season even though Kelli said "16," obviously they had more than 16 they wanted on SG and had to finally draw the line somewhere. Additionally, they never take too many rookies on SG, both Tyra and KD were judges' favorites consistently from the get go. I fully expect Lea will make SG next season.

The Lea looks stuff is getting old on the boards. She's not bleached blonde and tan or injected all over her face. She is coming in third place as far as repetitiveness on the forums as much as "why did Victoria retire?" and "where is Amanda, why did she leave?" She's a rookie, and an amazing dancer, I can't help but think our comments here are a lot more wounding to their psych than needed. She will probably go on to be a great DCC, SG, GL - seems like to me she is going to be one of their strongest, most consistent, and a great teammate.

IG photos - not photoshopped. Her makeup is spot on, her look is gorgeous. She can dance circles around a lot of the other DCC. 
I am definitely Team Lea!

leaandklein.jpg

leaandgroup.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

I think Christine Baranski is a bomb actress and has a great look…definitely see a lot of similarities between her and Lea. And not in a bad way. She’s got a more unique look for sure, but not in a negative way. I’m all in for a glamour girl, but Lea is a fantastic dancer and cute as a button too. 

Agree we’ll likely see her in SG next year if she’s interested. 

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well I don't think you are new here.   But maybe you are.  Plenty of TCC have been roasted and toasted on these forums.  And it's perfectly acceptable.

It sure is acceptable on this internet forum..... probably not too comforting to the DCC/TCC that it has happened to others, so it will happen to you, repetitively.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, StellaCL said:

It sure is acceptable on this internet forum..... probably not too comforting to the DCC/TCC that it has happened to others, so it will happen to you, repetitively.

Think of how Ally Traylor must feel.

2 hours ago, cgloss said:

Think of how Ally Traylor must feel.

For me anything negative I've ever thought/written about Ally Traylor has been brought on by her negative, mean girl, superior attitude I always got from her. She was not unattractive but I found her spirit ugly...

• Useful 1
  • Love 4