Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/11/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

I think Sunny stepped in it - not interested in understanding (Trump, anti-vaxxer, etc.) perspective. It sounds as though she only wants to hear from people who think what she thinks. That is not the way to either learn why people are passionate about positions that differ from yours OR give you an opportunity to persuade them to consider your perspective.  This position she took sounds like a very closed mind to me.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, SusannahM said:
8 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

This position she took sounds like a very closed mind to me.

Possibly but it's a position a lot of us are taking now - especially in terms of anti-vaxxers.  I'm just not interested in changing their minds anymore.  Life is too short to deal with people like that.

I think that's unfortunate. I think there should always be space for people to have diverse opinions and be able to share them. Changing someone's perspectives doesn't often happen in a split second, though. It can take time for ideas to sink in and take root. Understanding why someone feels so differently from ourselves can give us insight into what in their world is missing or wrong. It can be a chance to see what changes can or should be made. I thought that Sara and Sherri (!) were willing to give people the chance to share information in a respectful way.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Why did Katie Couric have to even bring up what RBG said when she is not here to explain her statements.  Katie Couric is very messy and problematic these days, to say the least..

Seriously. And the ladies sure as hell better grill her on her support for that sexual predator Matt Lauer.

And people are, well human. They are allowed to have opinions or how they feel about things. And they can also, you know, evolve, when they better understand or learn about the topic. 

And Katie can just fuck the right off.

20 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I think Sunny stepped in it - not interested in understanding (Trump, anti-vaxxer, etc.) perspective. It sounds as though she only wants to hear from people who think what she thinks. That is not the way to either learn why people are passionate about positions that differ from yours OR give you an opportunity to persuade them to consider your perspective.  This position she took sounds like a very closed mind to me.

I agree. I understand not wanting to deal with the whackadoodle, crazies, but there are some people--otherwise sane people--who are woefully misinformed about the vaccine. I'm not going to lump them in with the conspiracy theorists, or idiots.

For instance: I have an online friend (we met through our love for an author years ago), who thinks because she had Covid and survived, she doesn't need the vaccine and the vaccines don't work because now there is a third shot. And her employer is mandating she get vaccinated or retire. She's not a conspiracy theorist, but clearly she's misinformed. She's not crazy. I'm just hoping she'll listen to the science and get vaccinated.

And I'm surprised that Sunny doesn't know that there are people out there, who can't get the vaccine because it's contraindicated due to their own medical conditions.

Especially considering that she herself was hesitant to get the vaccine, I'm surprised at her militant stance on this.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I thought that Sara and Sherri (!) were willing to give people the chance to share information in a respectful way.

Good for them and in most circumstances would be much the same but not where anti-vaxxers are concerned.  I work in a hospital and I've been subjected to being yelled at and verbally harassed by those who have absolutely no interest in sharing their views in a respectful way.  I'm exhausted, frankly.

• Love 17

I don’t think Sunny has an issue with people who can’t get vaccinated, for medical reasons, or who don’t do it for religious reasons.  I’m basing this on the fact that she knows the law and knows these are legitimate exceptions to even the employer mandates. (On a side note, because of my job I’m dealing with this issue now and it’s a mess!).

I think she’s sick of the science denying anti-vaxxers, and I don’t blame her!  I think that’s who she was calling crazy.  But I do understand that some people are woefully misinformed because of their “news” sources 🙄.

Edited by jalady
  • Love 18
5 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

Good for them and in most circumstances would be much the same but not where anti-vaxxers are concerned.  I work in a hospital and I've been subjected to being yelled at and verbally harassed by those who have absolutely no interest in sharing their views in a respectful way.  I'm exhausted, frankly.

No one should be subjected to that kind of thing. You have my sympathy for having to work in those conditions.

I'm not in a position like yours, but I have had to tell people that if they are interested in getting me to change my mind or do what they want, the worst way to do it is to scream at me, insult me, or harass me because that will only convince me that I'm right and they are wrong. It doesn't matter what the issue is, if someone's idea of communication is yelling, I would consider the "conversation" over. If they want to talk calmly and civilly, I'm willing to at least hear them out and think about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, jalady said:

I think she’s sick of the science denying anti-vaxxers, and I don’t blame her!  I think that’s who she was calling crazy.  But I do understand that some people are woefully misinformed because of their “news” sources 🙄.

I have an unvaccinated co worker who blames me, a vaccinated person (not me specifically but vaccinated people in general), for spreading Covid. He say it's because we don't wear masks anymore.  I don't argue with him because what is the use?  So I understand Sunny's point of view.  I have never told someone they are stupid for not getting the vaccine but I have had a couple people tell me I am stupid because I did get the vaccine.  It's tough taking the high road so much.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
10 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

It's tough taking the high road so much.  

What I'm getting fed up with is the catering to the unvaxxed crowd in the media.  I'd hope The View wouldn't go there.  The science believers far outnumber the disbelievers but you wouldn't know it sometimes.  I guess it's true that the vocal minority will always grab the attention.

• Useful 3
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, SusannahM said:

What I'm getting fed up with is the catering to the unvaxxed crowd in the media. 

I agree with you.  Every time they show an anti vaxxer celeb I'm sure someone out there is watching thinking well if he doesn't have to get the vax then neither should I.

• Love 16

What I'm getting fed up with is the catering to the unvaxxed crowd in the media.  I'd hope The View wouldn't go there.  The science believers far outnumber the disbelievers but you wouldn't know it sometimes.  I guess it's true that the vocal minority will always grab the attention.

It's the people who won't get vaccinated because they want to "own the libs" that get to me. That's all I'll say before getting into forbidden territory.

I don't work in a hospital or doctor's office, but I am a home health aide. Just this morning, I was at a client's house when the Meals on Wheels guy came to the door. He handed me the bag and said, "Cute mask. You do know those don't work." I just said in a pleasant voice, thanks for bringing the food, have a nice day, whatever. It's not worth arguing anymore. I'm too tired and too fed up. Sure, I hate wearing a mask just like everyone else and I'm vaccinated. So I definitely agree about the silent majority.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I think Sunny held her tongue for so long because of how the former 5th host might respond, that she is making up for lost time.  There's no way she would have said She's not interested in hearing form the anti-vaxxer perspective before, because it would have resulted in a hissy fit from the former fifth host and the conversation would end with Whoopi or Joy throwing to commercial.   At least in this discussion everyone got a chance to speak and have their perspective heard.   I'm fine with Sunny representing those who feels like she does.   Especially since we had Sherri and Sarah who made decent points for the other side of the coin.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
19 hours ago, Kenz said:

Even though I quit watching the show in the past couple of years since I could not stand M.M., I seem to remember that she adored Erika Jayne, that Housewife woman who is married to the rich old embezzler dude, who they discussed today. They even had her on the show to sing at one time. Was it my imagination, or did the ladies seem to really enjoy dissing this Erica woman, which would infuriate MM? I hope she was watching the show today.

And Erika deserves to be dissed but I’m sure M would have had a different take and probably would have yelled at everyone.  She was crazily adoring of Erika. 

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, right.

Noted how she also didn’t scream murderer when talking about people who are pro choice.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Possibly but it's a position a lot of us are taking now - especially in terms of anti-vaxxers.  I'm just not interested in changing their minds anymore.  Life is too short to deal with people like that.

Same with those who continue to say the election was stolen…tired of it and don’t care any more.  I totally understand sunnys stance.

Edited by Rainyhawk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, jalady said:

I don’t think Sunny has an issue with people who can’t get vaccinated, for medical reasons, or who don’t do it for religious reasons.  I’m basing this on the fact that she knows the law and knows these are legitimate exceptions to even the employer mandates. (On a side note, because of my job I’m dealing with this issue now and it’s a mess!).

At this point so many of those who are misinformed simply won’t believe the science around it and wont look at other information sources.  So not sure what you do about that and everyone’s been trying to educate people about it for months.  If at this point they still won’t believe other sources, then that’s on them.  Also the fact that getting vaxxed has become a political position doesn’t help.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Sure, I hate wearing a mask just like everyone else and I'm vaccinated.

I always had to laugh at MM and her attitude about masks.  I've reached a point where I'm so used to wearing them out in public that if - well I should say when really - the mask rules are lifted I don't know if I'll be able to stop wearing one!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I have an unvaccinated co worker who blames me, a vaccinated person (not me specifically but vaccinated people in general), for spreading Covid. He say it's because we don't wear masks anymore.  I don't argue with him because what is the use?  So I understand Sunny's point of view.  I have never told someone they are stupid for not getting the vaccine but I have had a couple people tell me I am stupid because I did get the vaccine.  It's tough taking the high road so much.  

Kind of similar here. I know one woman who's anti-vax and talks down to me because she's a nurse. I'd hate to see how big her head would be if she were a doctor.

I'm really not someone who's forceful with my views, but I thought it was okay to ask this one coworker who is a work friend if he'd gotten vaccinated. He's apparently super touchy about this issue. He's someone who'll ask all sorts of personal questions-my love life, how much stuff I have costs, etc. He's also the type to get way TMI with his own shit-serious problems in his family, his addictions, sex life, etc. But no, do not ask him if he's gotten vaccinated because that's private! We were sent an email awhile back to ask if we'd been vaccinated, and he emailed them back that it's not their business. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

We were sent an email awhile back to ask if we'd been vaccinated, and he emailed them back that it's not their business. 

That wouldn't fly here.  Co-workers don't have the right to know but the Big Bosses sure as hell do!

• Love 7

That wouldn't fly here.  Co-workers don't have the right to know but the Big Bosses sure as hell do!

Yup. And again, I get not wanting random coworkers to know your business. I would never ask just anyone that question, and now I don't ask period.  But he's always called me a friend. I've known him for years, have seen him outside of work, met his wife, etc. When I first met him, I was actually uncomfortable because he was too comfortable too fast. He's like that Dave Chappelle skit where a guy will talk about the most graphic sex stuff but be like nope, no politics, that's personal. lol 

On another note, it was really nice seeing Tamara Mowry today. I was a big Sister, Sister fan growing up. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, jalady said:

Happy tomorrow is Sherri’s last day.  She talks ALOT, doesn’t say much of interest and has eaten into Sara’s time dramatically.  I think it was yesterday that Joy had to tell Sara to “jump in”, LOL.

That is Sara's problem if she can't get a word in. All the other co hosts can do it.

Edited by Rightside
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

On another note, it was really nice seeing Tamara Mowry today. I was a big Sister, Sister fan growing up. 

It was great seeing her. That was one of my favorite shows as a teen and I was tickled that they showed a couple of clips. Tamera's baking show looks like fun...it seems that she's raised a couple of sous chefs already! 😊

• Love 4
1 minute ago, catlover79 said:

It was great seeing her. That was one of my favorite shows as a teen and I was tickled that they showed a couple of clips. Tamera's baking show looks like fun...it seems that she's raised a couple of sous chefs already! 😊

I want to check it out but not sure I should. Baking is so fun, just not great for my little body. I don't have many people to bake for right now either. :( 

Tamera's children are SO cute. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, After7Only said:

I think Sunny held her tongue for so long because of how the former 5th host might respond, that she is making up for lost time.  There's no way she would have said She's not interested in hearing form the anti-vaxxer perspective before, because it would have resulted in a hissy fit from the former fifth host and the conversation would end with Whoopi or Joy throwing to commercial.   At least in this discussion everyone got a chance to speak and have their perspective heard.   I'm fine with Sunny representing those who feels like she does.   Especially since we had Sherri and Sarah who made decent points for the other side of the coin.   

Same. They all had to hold their tongues while she was there, but I think Sunny in particular the most of all, considering she was actually told she would be fired if she couldn't get along with McCain. Thankfully she outlasted that POS. This is why the show is better for it, too, you see this nuance in the panelists. On many issues, Sunny is the most liberal one there, even further than Joy on some things, and then on others, she is one of the most conservative. I think someone joked that S.E. Cupp could put Sunny in her place a few pages ago--PUH-leeze! Sunny could rake every other lady on this show over the coals in an argument if she put her mind to it.

• Love 14

I am also glad tomorrow is Sherri's last day.

Her new found intellect does not compute with me regarding abortion, Joe Rogan, etc and just loves to be what she perceives to be the center of attention.

Let alone her gun in her bedside table with her sex toys with her 16 year old son...like he is not aware of this now...and his friends or others? And, oh yes, where did her dogs go?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, SusannahM said:

I always had to laugh at MM and her attitude about masks.  I've reached a point where I'm so used to wearing them out in public that if - well I should say when really - the mask rules are lifted I don't know if I'll be able to stop wearing one!

I stopped wearing a mask in April or May and by the end of the week I’d caught a bad cold. Been wearing masks again ever since. Besides, I made them from cute fabrics so they are an accessory.

Wasn't it Sherri’s ex that talked her into the cane corso?  Maybe he took the dog.

On topic, Tucker Carlson’s comments about Pete B are vile. Does he have children?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Wasn't it Sherri’s ex that talked her into the cane corso?  Maybe he took the dog.

Nope!!  The first dog was a rescue & the Cane Corso was all Sherri.  She did love to brag about how tough he was.  (Her ex-husband is living in a 2-bedroom apartment & raising the boy Sherri agreed to have by surrogate & then reneged, but I think she's paying support to him.  LOL.)

• Love 2

Chiming in late on the Sunny comments regarding Joe Rogan and Sanjay Gupta.  I thought it was a good conversation and surely needed in the country.

Only panelist on the View that could have a conversation that in depth without it breaking into mayhem would be Sara Haines...imho

Also I'm surprised Sunny doesn't want to understand crazy, especially when she's kind of crazy herself..and kind of a snob and judgmental  to boot.  I'm one of the few that enjoys when whoopi bursts her bubble 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I stopped wearing a mask in April or May and by the end of the week I’d caught a bad cold. Been wearing masks again ever since.

I stopped wearing mine around June. And loved the freedom--because no matter how low I placed them, or tried to "pinch" the "clip", my reading glasses would always fog up.

But when the recommendations and requirements to wear them at all times again, I did it.

I hate it. But I'm doing it. And I didn't get any colds or sick when I stopped wearing them.

• Love 5

It is probably a losing proposition for Jonah Hill (or any celebrity) to ask that people not comment on his body, good or bad. People will comment on anyone they see as having money and fame. In a way, Sherri is right, asking for that is just giving the signal that it makes a difference to you and anyone who wants to bug you is going to do that. Maybe if they don't put pictures on Instagram and other social media the attention will diminish.

As for "regular people" - I think it is best not to make comments on a person's appearance, unless it is a special case (bride at a wedding, for example). Don't make a remark about something that a person can't do anything about (or can't do anything easily). Compliments can be positive, but you have to be careful not to make them sound something like, "Oh good, you are finally looking good!" :-)

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

.and kind of a snob and judgmental  to boot. 

Sunny had the perfect opportunity to scold Oscar Isaac for being too intimate with a woman who wasn’t his wife on the red carpet a few weeks ago. She did a lot of pearl clutching in that conversation. 

• Love 5

Did anyone else think that kegel contraption presented by Joan Lunden and her daughter yesterday was weird? I don't appreciate these advertising segments staged liked bouncy, faux  interviews.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Shame on Fox. He's a disgusting racist, xenophobic, homophobic pig. 

I haven't even watched today's episode yet, but I concur on this point. He represents everything that's wrong with our society, and I'll leave it there.

Sunny is definitely the diva of the panel. She's as stubborn and unyielding in her own way as a certain blonde. But Sunny's anger on certain subjects is righteous anger. She's for the underdog. Having read her memoir, I can see why she is the way she is.

Having said all that, she really can be a snob sometimes. I'm saying this as someone who really likes Sunny, too!!!

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

I haven't even watched today's episode yet, but I concur on this point. He represents everything that's wrong with our society, and I'll leave it there.

Sunny is definitely the diva of the panel. She's as stubborn and unyielding in her own way as a certain blonde. But Sunny's anger on certain subjects is righteous anger. She's for the underdog. Having read her memoir, I can see why she is the way she is.

Having said all that, she really can be a snob sometimes. I'm saying this as someone who really likes Sunny, too!!!

I also really like Sunny, but I think she's one of those smart people who thinks she's always right. I also think she can be unforgiving. I've seen a little Joe Rogan, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he's bad as all that. He's very polite with the guests. I've seen him explain systemic racism to Ben Shapiro. But when Sunny talks about him, you'd think he's Tucker Carlson. 

For me, Sunny is that passionate friend you love and can get into it with once in awhile. You know she's coming from a good place even if you disagree. Meghan is that person who's constantly obnoxious and you don't even want to be around. I also appreciate that Sunny bats so hard for the underdog, unlike Meghan, who bats for herself and her own. So while I am not saying Sunny is perfect, they're very different overall imo. I don't think Joy is like Meghan either, and I've seen that comparison here. What makes the show so entertaining is the fact it features all these strong, opinionated women. I'm here for it so long as they're nice, which most of them are now that MM is gone. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

But Sunny's anger on certain subjects is righteous anger.

I agree. She does not like injustice in any form

21 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Having said all that, she really can be a snob sometimes.

I agree with this too.  But I don't see it as her looking down on people who don't have a lot of money. I think she looks down on people she thinks are being willfully ignorant and I have to say I am the same way.

11 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I also really like Sunny, but I think she's one of those smart people who thinks she's always right.

Yep.  She is definitely someone who thinks her way is the right way.  Didn't she have a disagreement with Don Lemon over something because she thought she was right and he was wrong?

12 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

. I've seen a little Joe Rogan, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think he's bad as all that. He's very polite with the guests. I've seen him explain systemic racism to Ben Shapiro. But when Sunny talks about him, you'd think he's Tucker Carlson. 

He might be nice but a lot of what he says is very damaging. I'm still baffled that the guy I used to watch on NewsRadio has people who look to him for political information.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I agree. She does not like injustice in any form

I agree with this too.  But I don't see it as her looking down on people who don't have a lot of money. I think she looks down on people she thinks are being willfully ignorant and I have to say I am the same way.

Yep.  She is definitely someone who thinks her way is the right way.  Didn't she have a disagreement with Don Lemon over something because she thought she was right and he was wrong?

He might be nice but a lot of what he says is very damaging. I'm still baffled that the guy I used to watch on NewsRadio has people who look to him for political information.

Exactly! I don't think she's snooty in a I'm famous and a lawyer with a doctor husband way. She just can't stand bigotry and ignorance. I can't stand bigotry either, but I'm more forgiving when it comes to ignorance. I just think we're all ignorant to a degree, even someone as smart and educated as Sunny. I am however less forgiving than Sunny when it comes to a stank attitude. There's no way I would have been as friendly with MM as she was. 

Yes, I remember that. We can all disagree with our friends, but I don't think I'd ever just be like "he's wrong" on TV like that, even if that's how I felt.  

For sure! Trust me, I've heard enough JR to know he can be stupid and do damage. He's the most famous podcaster, so I wish he'd be more responsible with his platform. But I don't think he's a bad person the way Sunny seems to. 

On another note, Patina Miller is strikingly beautiful, wow. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
On 10/14/2021 at 1:48 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Seriously. And the ladies sure as hell better grill her on her support for that sexual predator Matt Lauer.

If they don't (especially Sunny and Joy), I will be extremely disappointed.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

What is the point of the cut out on Sara's shirt? It shows her bra strap-weird.

I think it’s to hang your glasses. Just kidding. 
I really don’t need to listen to 3 hours of the civil discussion after hearing him suggest getting the virus then the vaccine.  I also don’t understand giving the number of listeners as some kind of proof of his intelligence. So what? Years and years ago someone used to say to me FoxNews was the number one news show with highest rating or viewers. So all listeners are Einsteins ? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

It's even worse when they are going to him for medical advice!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ifionlyknew said:

Having said all that, she really can be a snob sometimes.

I don't think Sunny is a snob in conventional terms of money and class, but her education and previous job as a prosecutor. When someone doesn't have equally impressive credentials, she seems to minimize the validity of their opinions.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly! I don't think she's snooty in a I'm famous and a lawyer with a doctor husband way. She just can't stand bigotry and ignorance. I can't stand bigotry either, but I'm more forgiving when it comes to ignorance. I just think we're all ignorant to a degree, even someone as smart and educated as Sunny. I am however less forgiving than Sunny when it comes to a stank attitude. There's no way I would have been as friendly with MM as she was. 

Yes, I remember that. We can all disagree with our friends, but I don't think I'd ever just be like "he's wrong" on TV like that, even if that's how I felt.  

For sure! Trust me, I've heard enough JR to know he can be stupid and do damage. He's the most famous podcaster, so I wish he'd be more responsible with his platform. But I don't think he's a bad person the way Sunny seems to. 

On another note, Patina Miller is strikingly beautiful, wow. 

Imho, and i could be waaaay off, but i think Sunny was playing a bit of the `go along to get along' game, knowing the end was near.  Re:  Joe Rogan, whoever mentioned News Radio, you were so spot on!  Where did the geeky nerdy TINY guy go?  And i love me a geeky nerd hah.  Why not wrap it all in one lol. Back to Joe.  Amazing what some strength training can do lol

• Useful 1
  • Love 1