Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

Has there been any more talk about Murtaugh showing up?  I haven't read spoilers for ages but remember some speculation a long time ago that he would replace Innes.  Obviously if he is to reappear it is being kept under tight wraps, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard any more?

• Love 3

The Murtagh question came up briefly in this interview with Gabaldon, which I meant to post and then promptly forgot about it.  Nothing super spoilery beyond that, just Gabaldon's thoughts on Season 4, being a Great American Read finalist, and where she's at with the next book.

I don’t know if we’re admitting that [Murtagh is coming back] out loud, but everyone seems to assume it, so might as well assume it.

If Murtagh were going to survive into this part of the story, naturally, I would be thinking what would he be doing? He would almost certainly be involved in this particular aspect. I said, 'Oh, if you’re going so far as to get him to this particular point, I don’t see how we could resist having him do this or this might be really interesting'—anyway, [the producers and writers] took both of those suggestions and used them very well.

• Love 3

I am just reading on Twitter that Laura Donnally isn’t in season 4 at all.  I know she has been very busy and am so happy for her, but I will miss Jenny so much!  So do we think Bree isn’t going to be shown going to Lallybroch?  Or will they just work around Jenny’s absence?  

Also, has there been a list of episode titles for the season?

One more sleep!!!!!

I remember seeing pictures/sightings of Sophie Skelton and Stephen Cree filming at a seaside dock/port set early on in the filming schedule for this season, plus I also saw a picture of Sophie and Nell Hudson, not filming but walking together on set, so there is at least some interaction between these characters. Looking forward to getting this season started already.

• Love 1

I just watched Episode 1 of Season 4 (it went up at 9pm PT on Amazon) but there's no thread for it yet! I was really underwhelmed by a major decision that made no sense to me, given Claire's knowledge of future events. I also laughed out loud when a clearly labeled Robber was noticing Claire's two rings and mentioning how much he lurves such things. Subtle, this show ain't. Though I appreciated Claire's concern that her dress made her look like "mutton dressed as lamb."

• Love 3

Hi, Everyone! Good to be back!

I just finished 401, as well. The ending was... hmm. 

It’s interesting watching this less than 72 hours from a huge election. I wonder how much intentionality was put into scheduling the show to start this weekend.

More later in the episode thread.

Just a wee reminder to the fellow Americans - vote! It’s a freedom we can’t take for granted.

• Love 3

The attached as a spoilery clip featuring Brianna and Roger. Don't know if all this is happening in the next episode or whether they'll spread it out:

Outlander Sneak Peek: Sophie Skelton Previews What's Next for Brianna and Roger's Relationship

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a25070216/outlander-season-4-episode-3-sneak-peek-roger-brianna-relationship/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflowTWTCO&src=socialflowTW

I'm still really troubled by Sophie as Brianna. As I watch the new episodes I just don't see it. She's supposed to be a large woman, big boned, a size 16. You can't tell me they couldn't find a larger actress to play the role. Opportunity missed. 

Does the book say she is a size 16?  And is that a 1970 size 16?  Which would be way different than today’s size 16!

I do remember Brianna being tall but never saw her as particularly heavy.  Claire’s parting advice to not get fat makes me think she wasn’t particularly large.  

I actually have more problems with how different Sam and Catriona are from the Jamie and Claire I envisioned.  I handwave it away for the most part and just accept differences between book and show.

I think we have to separate the books from the series in terms of if these actors match the characters in the book exactly, or we might as well give it up. This is an adaptation, so just as the plot has been changed and events have been left out or tailored to a TV show, we have to do the same with the actors.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 4

And was it a British size 16 or American size 16?  Also a big difference.

I understood Brianna to be tall, like Jamie, but I never pictured her as very big otherwise.  Maybe I didn't pay attention, but I didn't get that from her description.

• Love 1

Ok, well maybe this was only important to me *shrug*. When Jamie sees her the first thing he says is how enormous she is. And Claire talks about buying her size 16 dresses in 1970s. That doesn’t make her a mountain, just a tall, larger woman. It was important to my read of the book and the visual just isn’t there for me. It is what it is. 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Ok, well maybe this was only important to me *shrug*. When Jamie sees her the first thing he says is how enormous she is. And Claire talks about buying her size 16 dresses in 1970s. That doesn’t make her a mountain, just a tall, larger woman. It was important to my read of the book and the visual just isn’t there for me. It is what it is. 

I thought Jamie was referring to her height.  Her response to him was something how she got that from him.  And Jamie is described as tall, not heavy-set.  I think.  It's been a while since I've read the books. 

• Love 2

So a size 16 dress in the late 1960’s (when Claire would have bought her anything) would be, what, a size 10 or 12 now?   Which on a very tall (6ft?) woman would make her fairly slender.  Not model thin but also not heavy.

We all see the characters differently.  I still see my book visions when I read, not the tv characters.  I have no doubt my vision of Claire is very different than anyone else’s, etc.  I think that I just got used to seeing them differently so by the time Brianna came along I just accepted her differences in height.  And accent!  I struggle to accept the American accent.  I have British ex pat friends and all of their kids still sound English, even the ones born here.  

Edited by morgan
13 hours ago, mary2013 said:

I thought Jamie was referring to her height.  Her response to him was something how she got that from him.  And Jamie is described as tall, not heavy-set.  I think.  It's been a while since I've read the books. 

Yes, I think we are suppose to infer this as well. Brianna is described as tall; I think she's close to or at around 6'0 feet. When William meets her in a later book, if I recall correctly, he notes how tall she is and almost the same height as Roger and himself. She would be considered enormous by Jamie's standards as nutrition and poor health back in the day stunted a lot of children. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Athena said:

Yes, I think we are suppose to infer this as well. Brianna is described as tall; I think she's close to or at around 6'0 feet. When William meets her in a later book, if I recall correctly, he notes how tall she is and almost the same height as Roger and himself. She would be considered enormous by Jamie's standards as nutrition and poor health back in the day stunted a lot of children. 

Yes, she’s large in the sense that she’s very tall and not model thin. Not overweight or obese but larger by 1960s standards (much less 18th century standards). 

Jamie even remarks on it when they meet and she snaps back "Well, whose fault is that?" so I assume he was referring to her height.

Also given things tend to get bigger all over when you get taller so you can be larger without being overweight.  Size 12 on a 5'2" person looks a lot bigger than size 12 on a 6'0" person.  And as morgan said, sizes have changed over time.  I found a lovely size 16 (UK) red wool coat of my mothers when my sister and I were clearing out her stuff and I got excited because I was size 16 at the time, but it was tiny, I think more of a size 10.

• Love 1

I decided to put this recap and interview here because at least one of the three women read the books and they keep asking her about them. This is the EW recap and analysis of the show (Episode 4.05), including an interview with Duncan Lacroix. (I didn't even know they did recaps. I'll have to go look for the others) There's some distortion in the voice at times, but hang in there.

28 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Snippet of a scene from the next episode, Wilmington, which is the show's 50th episode:

Outlander Sneak Peek: Here's Your First Look at Brianna and Roger's Emotional Reunion

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a25628475/outlander-sneak-peek-season-4-episode-8-brianna-roger-reunion/

Goddamnit Lizzie.....

Thanks for posting, can't wait for this one...I swear if we don't get THE reunion, I may flip a table.

Just another reason why they should have cast a younger Lizzie.  Grr.  (It occurs to me that Lizzie is like Briony in Atonement-- totally misrepresenting something she didn't understand and causing all sorts of collateral damage to everyone involved.)

• Love 2

The following is the description for episode 9, which is the one airing on 12/30.

THE BIRDS & THE BEES

"Jamie and Claire keep secrets from one another as they try to help Brianna process her recent trauma; the secrets they keep cause a bigger familial rift once they are revealed."

I was just listing to a audio blog for this latest episode and they mentioned that, in the script, the writers did show Roger having difficulty with the stones as he did in the book. He is thrown back out of them, mentions that he was thinking of his father and saw him, and then goes through again with Fiona's ring. Gah! Why couldn't we see that? I would've gladly given up time digging in Laoghaire's garden, or storytelling, or even roaming the hills in winter for that. Plus, as far as the show is concerned, going through the stones is a piece of cake, but we know it's not! Boy, I hope they shot it and it's in the DVD's deleted scenes.

• Love 4