Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, Haleth said:

And if you haven’t watched the Showtime series The Borgias, that’s excellent too. I think it was 2 seasons. Lotte Verbeek, who played Geillis, has a pretty substantial role. 

Suggestions always welcome! You liked The Last Kingdom too, right? 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Suggestions always welcome! You liked The Last Kingdom too, right? 

Moving to the Small Talk thread since this is getting off topic.

I just saw on Twitter Maril address the issue of season 6 being the last season? She said they have not been picked up yet for 7 or beyond, but that doesn't mean they won't be!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

I just saw on Twitter Maril address the issue of season 6 being the last season? She said they have not been picked up yet for 7 or beyond, but that doesn't mean they won't be!

Until we hear or get confirmation otherwise, you shouldn't worry. Same thing happened while waiting to see about Seasons 4 and 5. And then we learned we were getting up to seasons 6.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Resurrecting a long dead thread as Outlander's social media just dropped this casting news: We get a new Jenny and possibly the beginnings of Roger's trip into the way wayback.

outlander casting edit.jpeg

I was just about to post this! A big HELL NAO!! that Jenny has been recast! Nope.Nope.Nope!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

But HELLOOOO! ‘Tis Ian!!!! Though I have a feeling and I’m no’ looking forward to it.

How is Geillis coming back? Flashbacks?

Roger meets Geillis and Dougal both, as well as Brian, during his trip through the way wayback. But that doesn't happen until book 8, right? They haven't even wrapped up all the non murder trial and house fire stuff from book 6 yet. This supersized next season looks like it may be quite the mashup of plot lines.

Laura Donnelly's career has taken off since her earlier seasons appearances as Jenny. I think we knew there was a good possibility she might not be back.

I'm bummed that they've recast Jenny, but I suppose that means Laura Donnelly is busy with other projects, which isn't a bad thing. Better to recast than drop the Jenny/Ian stuff altogether. Not having Jenny meet Brianna in season 4 was criminal.

Didn't Graham already play Buck Mackenzie a couple seasons ago? I wonder why they've recast that role. Maybe they think people will be confused if he's playing both Dougal and Buck at the same time?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Laura Donnelly's career has taken off since her earlier seasons appearances as Jenny. I think we knew there was a good possibility she might not be back.

Stop being logical! Let me pout for a wee bit, please.

2 minutes ago, Night Cheese said:

Didn't Graham already play Buck Mackenzie a couple seasons ago? I wonder why they've recast that role. Maybe they think people will be confused if he's playing both Dougal and Buck at the same time?

Yes he did. And if the show runners think that, well, it’s insulting.

• Love 1

This is the same show that nearly let itself be eaten by dueling Tobias Menzieses the first two seasons. Maybe they want to keep Buck more a contemporary of Roger's agewise now that he's not a one off. Or maybe Graham McTavish, whose career has also taken off now that he's in practically every sci-fi/fantasy franchise, doesn't want to take on a duel role. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Stop being logical! Let me pout for a wee bit, please.

Totally with you here!!!  Hoping for the best, but not going to be happy Laura Donnelly is not coming back!

• Love 1

They were between a rock & a hard place- recast & stick to the written storylines, or write Jenny off & anger book diehards. The fact that almost every other actor returns when their parts come up says to me this is a pleasant show to work on with great people! 

• Love 2

Reposting this here as I realized belatedly that by only posting it in the media thread, we can't speculate about what this means with the show ending at eight seasons while we already have a book 9 that left a whole lot hanging heading into a still mostly unwritten 10th.

I've been watching Gabaldon play very coy about this on Twitter with book readers who are understandably concerned that the show and the books may not end up in the same place. She's already very pointedly mentioned that this isn't a GRR Martin/Game of Thrones situation because she doesn't work with an outline for the show to even source from.

Gabaldon keeps saying that the material is already there so ... who knows? Book 9 gives us more shitty tenants, another almost death for Jamie that seems to hint we're finally nearing some answers as to what Claire's magical blue light powers might be, more rando medical and Revolutionary War stuff, and after a lot of circling the airport promises a likely tag team up of Jamie and William for a common cause that at least sort of ties back into the series' central premise of time travelers among us.

Gabaldon's fan interactions are always interesting to me because while she clearly enjoys the praise, it's almost like it didn't register with her that anyone would expect the show and the books to end in the same spot or be bothered that the book story might continue on after the show's stopping point. 

• Like 1
On 1/21/2023 at 8:29 AM, nodorothyparker said:

Gabaldon keeps saying that the material is already there so ... who knows? Book 9 gives us more shitty tenants, another almost death for Jamie that seems to hint we're finally nearing some answers as to what Claire's magical blue light powers might be, more rando medical and Revolutionary War stuff, and after a lot of circling the airport promises a likely tag team up of Jamie and William for a common cause that at least sort of ties back into the series' central premise of time travelers among us.

Gabaldon's fan interactions are always interesting to me because while she clearly enjoys the praise, it's almost like it didn't register with her that anyone would expect the show and the books to end in the same spot or be bothered that the book story might continue on after the show's stopping point. 

I think EVERYONE expected the show to end before she was done writing the books. Everyone will have to wait to read however more of them she writes  ( she waffles on this sometimes after saying 10 will be the last). I don’t think that ghost thing is such a big question.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

I think EVERYONE expected the show to end before she was done writing the books. Everyone will have to wait to read however more of them she writes  ( she waffles on this sometimes after saying 10 will be the last). I don’t think that ghost thing is such a big question.

Also she has just started on book 10 and it usually takes her 5-7 years to write a book, so I think it's fine that they are ending it with season eight. I think it's awesome of the cast to do one more season. They probably do want to go on to other things though.

• Like 2

Posting here as it’s more appropriate:

UGH. I just read what buiks this season will cover! Aye, no’ a typo!🤬🤬 

It was from the show’s Facebook page and it will cover 6-8! Now that  won’t sacrifice anything! They want to end the series by matching it up to the last one written, apparently. I don’t know how to link those here.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It was from the show’s Facebook page and it will cover 6-8! Now that  won’t sacrifice anything! They want to end the series by matching it up to the last one written, apparently. I don’t know how to link those here.

That’s a lot of details to pack into one season. This is Diana Gabaldon’s books! You can almost have 3 seasons for one book! 

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thanks for bringing this over from the media thread.

I'm somewhat bummed that they're still on book 6 this season because it's my least favorite, but I understand combining books 7&8. I think I'd rather they cut some plot lines and cover all the books in the series than end the series before the whole story is told. If season 8 is the last, I hope the showrunners know how DG wants to end the books if the 10th book isn't published yet.