Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, toolazy said:

Is that supposed to be Murtaugh in the first picture?  

It definitely looks like it to me. He's supposed to be Jamie's godfather and his mother's former suitor, so they definitely had to age him up a bit from when we last saw him.

3 hours ago, Nidratime said:

It definitely looks like it to me. He's supposed to be Jamie's godfather and his mother's former suitor, so they definitely had to age him up a bit from when we last saw him.

:)  Man, I hope that you are right because I would really love to see him again, aged up or not.  

• Love 1

I still can't get over Murtagh being alive in the show . We're in 1766/1767 and Jamie´s mother was born in the 1690s which means Murtagh is around that age and should be between 70 and 80 

Yeah, people lived to their eighties, even back then. It was harder to do because, if you could make it out of childhood without dying of a disease, there was still the peril of war for men and childbirth for women that could easily kill you. But if you managed to survive all that, yep, you could get to eighty,

• Love 1

The difference being that I think Benjamin Franklin lived a slightly cushier lifestyle than Murtagh and was still in very poor health later in life. Not saying Murtagh couldn't have made it, but with his lifestyle of working his body very hard--even before he was a prisoner and indentured servant--I find it hard to believe that he's so agile at 70. But, such is the magic of television. ;)

On 2/4/2018 at 10:10 AM, DittyDotDot said:

The difference being that I think Benjamin Franklin lived a slightly cushier lifestyle than Murtagh and was still in very poor health later in life. Not saying Murtagh couldn't have made it, but with his lifestyle of working his body very hard--even before he was a prisoner and indentured servant--I find it hard to believe that he's so agile at 70. But, such is the magic of television. ;)

Eh, we could just credit his hardy Scottish constitution. ;-)

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
On 2/3/2018 at 7:27 PM, lianau said:

I still can't get over Murtagh being alive in the show . We're in 1766/1767 and Jamie´s mother was born in the 1690s which means Murtagh is around that age and should be between 70 and 80 

According to the Outlander wiki, Ellen was born in 1691.  Assuming Murtagh was too, he'd be 76 in the beginning of Drums of Autumn.  However, Murtagh never seemed that old to me (at least showMurtagh), and I always got the impression that he was younger than Colum and Dougal, who were younger than Ellen.  So, maybe Murtagh was attracted to an older woman, and he's really in his mid-to-late 60s or so by 1767?

4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

According to the Outlander wiki, Ellen was born in 1691.  Assuming Murtagh was too, he'd be 76 in the beginning of Drums of Autumn.  However, Murtagh never seemed that old to me (at least showMurtagh), and I always got the impression that he was younger than Colum and Dougal, who were younger than Ellen.  So, maybe Murtagh was attracted to an older woman, and he's really in his mid-to-late 60s or so by 1767?

That's a good point.  He was never a serious contender to marry Ellen so it doesn't strain credulity to imagine that he was several years younger than she and simply fell for her because apparently half the men in Scotland fell for her.  

• Love 1
(edited)

STARZ put out a new trailer for Season 4 -- at least I think it's new. It includes Jocasta.

Here's a youtube link, if the above doesn't work for you. The trailer's being posted in lots of different places, including RottenTomatoes.

Edited by Nidratime

Gabaldon dropped a promo with the first half season's episode titles this morning.  A couple I can guess at from knowing DOA, a couple I'm a little less sure about.  Probably not truly spoilery for someone who hasn't read the books, but I'll leave this here anyway just to be on the safe side.

5b9f93666647b_outlanderpromo.thumb.jpg.49c34cf6d0fdf860e2dc427d4c19df60.jpg

• Love 2

I was there and saw the episode. What do you want to know, my friend?

What I'll say off the top of my head, Brianna and Roger are not in this first episode. The title card is a live action one, not an inanimate object. And this live action symbol kind of ties into the very end of the episode, which features a modern day song highlighting the action.

Also, the very opening of the show, pre-title, harks back to the B.C. period.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 3

1) I don't know if I would say it was exciting and interesting, only because I have read the book and was waiting for things to happen! That's the one downside to being a reader. You already know the general outline so it takes away from the excitement for me, and this has nothing to do with it not being good -- It's just me. *But* it's the interpretation that's exciting and interesting. What twists they put on things. What they decided to emphasize and leave out. The flourishes they choose to use to emphasize their interpretation -- like the episode title, the title card, the music, the images, etc. What excites me is what the TV writers choose to do with the book writer's story, how they choose to package it in less than an hour but still get the essence.

2) The panel was too short for my liking, but that's what happens when you also choose to show the entire first episode! I was very surprised to see Diana since she was not initially invited. I literally jumped out of my seat when I saw her. One personal note: I wish all these panel moderators would give up on "playing games," while "asking questions." They're usually very dumb, rarely work, and they take away from the few fan questions they allow at the end.

3) We did spend a great deal of time in line, but not entirely for this panel. There were so many Outlander related events we didn't know about until it was too late to do anything about them. We didn't know about the Paleyfest panel on Friday night until the tickets were sold out; we didn't know about a brief Sci Fi Wire Outlander panel until the day before; we didn't know Diana was going to be in NY at all until a few days before, etc. Comic Con dribbles out info to the point where you can't make plans. We heard about a lottery they were having at the Outlander booth and stood in line for hours at that. The lottery would give you a chance to get an autograph from the actors and a guaranteed ticket to the later panel, but there were hundreds of people in line and the lottery tickets ran out before we got to the front of the line. We were able to get swag and take photos at the cabin/booth, but then had to rush off to get in line for the panel at the Garden. The panel was in the Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden. The downside was that there were panels all day and they weren't clearing the theater out after each panel. Therefore, you could get there for the 10:00 a.m. panel and stay for every one after, until late into the evening. So, you were literally competing with all the other fans wanting to see panels that day who chose not to leave. The one panel happening after Outlander was The Walking Dead one and that was very popular as well. When we got to the theater, there were two lines entering through different doors to MSQ and we couldn't see the other line, so we didn't know how long it was. Still we got to the Garden at least three hours in advance, not confident at all that we would get in. Eventually we got in after waiting a little over an hour. About 3:15 or so. As such, we had to sit through the Star Trek panel, which wasn't bad but I didn't know a thing about this new series. However, one of the stars was Michelle Yeoh of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Crazy Rich Asians fame, so I was blown away by her. The Outlander panel started at 5:30 and ended a little after 7:00, but a good chunk of that was spent watching the episode. Diana came out -- as our big surprise -- and introduced the episode and the panel followed after. Fortunately, since this was like a huge movie theater, there was a concession stand where you could get food, drinks, and of course, bathrooms!

Oh, and as we left after the Outlander panel, there were Zombies (professional ones) in the Hulu lobby "chasing" us. The Walking Dead clearly has a big promotion budget.

• Love 3

Thanks for explaining it all! I have never been to a comic con- Outlander is probably the only “sci-fi” show I have ever been into. It seems like too much waiting in lines for very little reward. And it would have been nice for you to know in advance an Outlander schedule & perhaps you’d have seen more? Was it cool though to see the stars in real life? I’ve enjoyed that part ( concerts, plays, meet & greets), it makes them so much more  real people  to me!

Thank you so much, Nidratime!   I’m not looking to be too spoiled but I’m glad to know Brianna and Roger arent in the first episode.  I know it is unpopular but I love them, and really love their time when he comes to Boston.  So now I won’t feel disappointed that they aren’t in it.  

Looking forward to seeing how they translate this book into tv form!

• Love 1

Have you guys seen all the panels? I don't think there are any major spoilers here at all but I'll put these links in this thread just in case I missed something:

Paleyfest Panel from the evening of Friday, Oct. 5.

Sci Fi Wire Panel (a brief 15 minute panel somewhere on the floor at the Javits Convention Center on the afternoon of Oct. 6)

The main Comic Con Outlander panel at the Hulu theater in MSG on the evening of Oct. 6 (minus the first episode and including ads. ;-(

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

Wow.  It's the season 2 trailers giving away Claire's return to her own time all over again.  But then I wonder, does anyone who hasn't already read the books look at the setup of this particular story with a grown child in an alternative timeline and really not have any inkling she might be making the trip too at some point?  Bree and Roger just living their lives in their own time aren't really interesting enough to indefinitely carry half the show in a split timeline setup like that of the first half of last season.

• Love 1

Good point.  Also, I honestly don’t think non book readers really understand how difficult it is on a person to travel too/from different times.  So I would almost bet most expect Bree to want to meet Jamie.

I wish I knew any non book readers to poll.  

• Love 1

My husband has never read the books but knows the basic outline of the story because, hey, he asked.  He said once it's established that there's more than one time traveler (Claire and Geillis to his knowledge) and that you can go both forward and back, it would seem unlikely in a multi-book series for there to not be more or for Claire's trip in the third book to be the last time it ever comes up.  But he's also the person who finds it "highly convenient" that Claire managed to have a husband in each timeline who can't time travel, so while I don't think he's picked up from the show that it's a difficult thing he is at least aware that not everyone can do it.

• Love 2

I did not read the books before the TV show, & won’t continue the books until after each season. I knew Brie & Roger might time travel in future seasons as soon as they heard the buzzing in 213. I am generally not a fan of sci-fi so I am glad it’s only a small part of each season.  The part I love about it is Jamie not knowing words Claire uses, I wish he asked her about more future things! It is very hard to not be spoiled when all the books are well known. Most of my friends have not read ahead so that helps. They all hope Jamie & Brie get to meet.

5 hours ago, morgan said:

Good point.  Also, I honestly don’t think non book readers really understand how difficult it is on a person to travel too/from different times.  So I would almost bet most expect Bree to want to meet Jamie.

I wish I knew any non book readers to poll.  

Before reading the books, I had no idea it was life threatening, so non readers probably think it’s easy!

Edited by Cdh20
  • Love 2

I really hope they don't turn Jamie into this modern person when dealing with Native Americans . Yes , he comes around to see them as equal and they become sort of friends  , but only after meeting some of them (the bear episode) . 

• Love 2

Wow, I'm quite surprised they spoiled that, though as nodorothyparker says it may well be obvious to non-book readers just from narrative structure.

Sigh. I am looking forward to this season - so many great moments - but not looking forward to the Roger/Jamie mixup and all that entails.  Maybe they can sell it better than the book, because that was such a massive contrivance and sparked a whole subplot that I found frankly pretty boring (Young Ian parts aside, but even then I wasn't interested in his life with the Native Americans, just how it affected him and what skills/attitudes he came back with).

• Love 1

One thing I was thinking about with the Roger mixup is it can’t go on for as long as in the book.  Because of episode constraints, it will likely happen but be wrapped up fairly quickly, right?

• Love 1

I'm virtually certain that the fact that Bree travels back has been out there for years.  I seem to recall a casting call for Bree's character that mentioned that she'll go back in time to the 18th century.  I'm pretty sure that it's come up in almost all of the panel discussions I've heard about season 4, so I don't think that it's really much of a spoiler at all.  

12 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Someone who is not a book reader and who attended NYC's Comic Con did a non-spoiler review of the first episode, i.e., she doesn't go into too many details. But, since she does reveal a few things, I will post a link here:

http://www.outlandertvnews.com/2018/10/new-season-new-world-but-jamie-and-claire-are-still-hot/

Thanks for all of the links and your thoughts. As you know, I was initially planning to go, but now I'm glad I didn't. I'm not a fan of waiting in lines like that, lol, and it all sounds pretty confusing. I'm glad you were able to see the episode and a panel though!

4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Nice little overview for how they'll be handling the permanent move to the Colonies and the culture clash there.

Who do you think that is sitting next to Ian at the beginning of the clip?  (When Jamie announces that he and Claire will stay in the colonies and settle down.)

Thanks for posting that Nidratime.  I started to watch but then quickly realized that they were going to discuss the episode the audience had just watched.  I stopped watching as soon as Cait made the tiniest reference to how the episode ended.  I'm saving this for Sunday and will watch it as soon as I see the episode.  If anyone else likes to stay totally spoiler-free, they might also want to wait.

EDITED TO ADD: Aaaaand now I realize that I am in the Spoiler thread and not the Media thread (as I had thought) so the wee spoiler I exposed myself to is totally my fault.  Carry on!

Edited by WatchrTina
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Thanks for posting that Nidratime.  I started to watch but then quickly realized that they were going to discuss the episode the audience had just watched.  I stopped watching as soon as Cait made the tiniest reference to how the episode ended.  I'm saving this for Sunday and will watch it as soon as I see the episode.  If anyone else likes to stay totally spoiler-free, they might also want to wait.

EDITED TO ADD: Aaaaand now I realize that I am in the Spoiler thread and not the Media thread (as I had thought) so the wee spoiler I exposed myself to is totally my fault.  Carry on!

I came across the same thing on the Outlander Facebook page and had to stop watching quickly.  I watched a little bit longer than you did because I was hoping someone who make the moderator stop asking questions about the episode but no one did.  There should have been warnings because I learned way more than I wanted to. 

Just in case there are spoilers in this interview, I'll place the link to it in this thread. This is Sam, Sophie, and Richard talking to Buzzfeed News. In fact, they're talking to the entertainment interviewer (Saeed Jones) who had recently been tweeting about binge watching Outlander while he was sick. (The video of the full interview is at the bottom of the article.)

The “Outlander” Cast Opened Up About Diversity On The Show And Sam Heughan Said He Loves The Name “Kilt Daddy”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/michaelblackmon/outlander-amtodm-diversity-kilt-daddy-sam-heughan

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Nidratime said:

This is a cool little "tour." 

I'm probably going to sound churlish, but while that's a lovely set it looks way too refined for someone inexperienced at building.  Leadlight windows? Moulding around the fireplace? 

• Love 1