Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 11/3/2017 at 4:27 PM, DittyDotDot said:

I disagree that book Frank and show Frank were all that different, nor do I think his part could've been removed. He's integral to both Claire and Briana's stories, IMO.

We'll agree to disagree on the "were they different" part, and I was just kidding when I said he could have been eliminated.  I've said for years that the internet needs a sarcasm font...

On 11/3/2017 at 4:12 PM, Nidratime said:

I think she's co-writing that latter episode with another writer, Shannon Goss.

Here's the link:

http://outlander.wikia.com/wiki/Season_Three

Right, that's what I meant.  Wikipedia has the same list, but without the spoiler-y synopses.  

Apparently, there's a new season 3 trailer that covers the back half of the season. They showed it on the west coast. I only have a rough copy of it from someone's twitter. It looks great. Can't wait to get a clear version of it on Youtube ... or somewhere else. (Someone has it on Tumbler as well, but for me, uploading Tumbler pages is a PITA. Too many stupid moving parts.)

Edited by Nidratime
17 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I guess that's why I didn't see it!

Well, I did watch it again, after watching it on Demand four times! So this was my fifth viewing. Not that it was a hardship! I think a big part of my enjoyment of this episode was so many quotable lines! So Kudos, Joy!

But UGH, I hope they don't spend too much time on the Jamaica stuff with the hallucination/whatever that was in the buik. There will be some of it, from the promo. But I see a lot of Jamie and Claire lovey dovey stuff, so I'll put up with it.

• Love 1

Oooooh, I am so torn.  I actually averted my eyes when that promo started to play on TV but when you posted it here I could not restrain myself.

Yikes, -- that scene with wee Ian and SOMEONE (wink, wink, nudge nudge) who appears to be bathing in blood?  WTF was THAT?

Aaaand now I have to go back and watch again to see Jamie dressed as a French fop.

I have NO self-control.

ETA:  I'm back.  Did I actually hear FEGUS expressing reluctance to release Jamie from a cage because "If I release you they will kill us."  FERGUS???  Okay, I just going to have to assume that it's Marsali he's worried about because Fergus would lay down HIS life for Jamie.

That promo looked pretty exciting.  I think we're in for a fun ride.  Let's buckle up and enjoy it.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

ETA:  I'm back.  Did I actually hear FEGUS expressing reluctance to release Jamie from a cage because "If I release you they will kill us."  FERGUS???  Okay, I just going to have to assume that it's Marsali he's worried about because Fergus would lay down HIS life for Jamie.

I think, but am not sure, that's the young man who helps Jamie escape from the hold on the plague ship. I can't recall his name right now, but if I remember right, he was also Claire's helper.

45 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Yikes, -- that scene with wee Ian and SOMEONE (wink, wink, nudge nudge) who appears to be bathing in blood?  WTF was THAT?

Crazy persons do crazy crap!! ;)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I think, but am not sure, that's the young man who helps Jamie escape from the hold on the plague ship.

Whew!  I hope you are right.  I just need to remember that there are other people in the world who speak english with a french accent.

5 minutes ago, morgan said:

So now I am wondering if next week we will get a new opening, much like the split last season when they left France for Scotland.  Hmmm...

God, I hope not. I love the current opening, that had the scenes from last night's episode--Jaime overlooking Selkies Island with the wind blowing, and the one of Claire taking his hand after he explained about Hosebeast, and then realized he was running a fever.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

God, I hope not. I love the current opening, that had the scenes from last night's episode--Jaime overlooking Selkies Island with the wind blowing, and the one of Claire taking his hand after he explained about Hosebeast, and then realized he was running a fever.

I wouldn't mind saying goodbye to some of the current opening, not the least of which is the shot where we see all of those highlanders mowed down by British guns.  I believe that it appears when song is at "merry of soul."  Well, seeing that does make my soul merry so I hope there's something new there.

In fact, I'd be surprised if the opening isn't at least a little bit different. 

• Love 4

Ron just said that Matt Roberts directed the season finale.

Wendy Allsop @wendy_allsop3 #AskRonMoore have you fully stepped back from all Outlander production? And if so why?

Ronald D. Moore‏Verified account @RonDMoore 2m2 minutes ago No, I'm still involved but I've delegated more of the day to day duties to Matt & Toni.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

What is it Ian calls her?  "Are you the ...?"  It sounded like banker, which made me LOL.

18 hours ago, morgan said:

So now I am wondering if next week we will get a new opening, much like the split last season when they left France for Scotland.  Hmmm...

Ooh, a reggae version!  Hey, last year it was a French twist then a military beat.  Why not?  ;)

• Love 3

That sound you hear is the sound of a million Google searches by people looking up the Gaelic word "Bakra."

Okay fine I was one of them.

Surprise!  It's not Gaelic. I found a dictionary that says that word is of African origin and means: "(Peoples) a White person, esp one from Britain."  But I presume we are meant to appreciate that the term doesn't just refer to skin color but instead echoes the supernatural meaning of the Scottish and French terms for a white witch or "White Lady."

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Ooh, a reggae version!  [of the opening credits]

Double-posting to say I support this initiative!  In fact I just tweeted the suggestion to Ron Moore & Bear McCreary.  If they respond I'll let you know!

Be assured, they won't respond.  :)

7 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

But they shouldn't be in Jamaica longer than one or two eps. However, they'll settle in North Carolina. Do some banjo music! LOL

I'm betting they'll land in the colonies either in the finale or the episode before the finale.

45 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

That sound you hear is the sound of a million Google searches by people looking up the Gaelic word "Bakra."

Okay fine I was one of them.

Surprise!  It's not Gaelic. I found a dictionary that says that word is of African origin and means: "(Peoples) a White person, esp one from Britain."  But I presume we are meant to appreciate that the term doesn't just refer to skin color but instead echoes the supernatural meaning of the Scottish and French terms for a white witch or "White Lady."

For some reason which I have no idea why, I was under the impression "bakra" meant something like slave master? Which I believe it's episode 12 that's titled Bakra, which would make sense given who the plantation owner they should be meeting is.

Was the term used in the book? I just can't figure out where I have ever heard the term before and/or where I might have gotten the impression of its meaning.

5 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

But they shouldn't be in Jamaica longer than one or two eps. However, they'll settle in North Carolina. Do some banjo music! LOL

They weren't really in Jamaica that long in the book--they arrived and went to the governor's party on the same day. And then headed to the plantation another day...I'm thinking they were only in Jamaica for maybe five days total. A lot happens in that short period of time, though, but a lot happens in general while they're touring the West Indies. I still don't know how they're going to get it all done.

30 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm betting they'll land in the colonies either in the finale or the episode before the finale.

Sorry, but why the episode before the finale?  The book ends with them being washed up on shore, Claire waking up, Jamie asking where they are, and when the woman says "Georgia," Jamie says "In that case, I'm James Fraser and this is my wife, Claire" (paraphrasing).  That takes 90 seconds, not an entire episode or more...

• Love 1

Very pretty EW covers, especially like Caitriona's 

Outlander: Inside Jamie and Claire's 'rough' adventure, plus season 4 intel

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/09/outlander-cover-sam-heughan-caitriona-balfe/

Here's a few more:

http://ew.com/tv/outlander-exclusive-photo-shoot/ew1491_89638912632897/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

There is some extreme photo-shopping on those covers.  Without zooming in, Sam's pinkie finger looks disconnected from his hand...  I'm not sure I like those. 

I'm also not sure I understand why they would (a) still have their gowns from France, and (b) take them with them while searching for Ian.  When they set off, they had no intention of never returning to Scotland, did they?  Wasn't the plan to find Ian and then, you know... go home?  Why take ballgowns?  

1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

And here we have a Fergus and Marsali scene from next episode!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/09/outlander-season-3-episode-9-clip/

They keep giving us more stills. We won't even have to watch the show!

http://ew.com/tv/outlander-first-look-photos-claire-and-jamie-party-and-plot/outlander-sneak-peek/

Judging by those photos and the promo, it doesn't appear they're cutting much out...wow, that's a lot to get done.

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

There is some extreme photo-shopping on those covers.  Without zooming in, Sam's pinkie finger looks disconnected from his hand...  I'm not sure I like those. 

I'm also not sure I understand why they would (a) still have their gowns from France, and (b) take them with them while searching for Ian.  When they set off, they had no intention of never returning to Scotland, did they?  Wasn't the plan to find Ian and then, you know... go home?  Why take ballgowns?  

I don't think that they're literally supposed to be the gowns from France.  I think they're just supposed to be an easter egg for those who pay a lot of attention to costumes.  

I am increasingly finding that I don't like EW's Outlander photos.  Still, I'll probably try to get the issue at B&N tomorrow - I missed my chance at the one earlier in the season. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I don't think that they're literally supposed to be the gowns from France.  I think they're just supposed to be an easter egg for those who pay a lot of attention to costumes.  

I am increasingly finding that I don't like EW's Outlander photos.  Still, I'll probably try to get the issue at B&N tomorrow - I missed my chance at the one earlier in the season. 

I don't know, the interview is confusing to me.  It's this part:

“It’s an Easter egg,” says costume designer Terry Dresbach of Jamie’s smart suit and Claire’s sumptuous saffron gown. It’s also historically accurate to re-purpose the outfits. “In the 18th century, people would have an item of clothing for their entire lifetime,” she adds. “So things got remade, repaired, and reconfigured. We will see that a lot in Outlander coming up.”

If they didn't mean to re-use the same dress in this "re-purposing" manner, then don't re-use it trying to pass it off as a new dress, IMO.  

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't know about Jamie's costume, but the gown looks like the one Claire is wearing at the Governor's Ball. As I recall, that is a borrowed dress from the lady they end up staying with on Jamaica.

Oh wait, I bet I know.  Those gowns were left at Jared's house in Paris, probably.  Since they're probably going there on their way to Jamaica, she might have an opportunity to grab some of them. 

But that's it.  That's the only plausible way for that gown to be made of her other gowns literally in the show. 

6 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Oh wait, I bet I know.  Those gowns were left at Jared's house in Paris, probably.  Since they're probably going there on their way to Jamaica, she might have an opportunity to grab some of them. 

But that's it.  That's the only plausible way for that gown to be made of her other gowns literally in the show. 

That's plausible, and I thought of that as well.  But I guess I still don't understand why she thought she'd need those dresses in Jamaica. ;-)  

12 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I don't know about Jamie's costume, but the gown looks like the one Claire is wearing at the Governor's Ball. As I recall, that is a borrowed dress from the lady they end up staying with on Jamaica.

Right - in the book, she borrows a dress.  That doesn't explain Terry's comment to me though, but maybe I'm missing something.

2 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Right - in the book, she borrows a dress.  That doesn't explain Terry's comment to me though, but maybe I'm missing something.

I was only commenting on how she would have a dress like that in Jamaica. I didn't realize it was Claire's gown from 20+ years previous--which doesn't make any sense to me. I didn't read the article, and the part you quoted doesn't give the full context so I really can't comment on that. 

• Love 1

“It’s an Easter egg,” says costume designer Terry Dresbach of Jamie’s smart suit and Claire’s sumptuous saffron gown. It’s also historically accurate to re-purpose the outfits. “In the 18th century, people would have an item of clothing for their entire lifetime,” she adds. “So things got remade, repaired, and reconfigured. We will see that a lot in Outlander coming up.”

Maybe she's not meaning to say that Claire had her clothes remade from 20 years ago, but that people would do that at that time. So, the costume staff for the show reusing the gowns is mirroring what they would've done in the past. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Maybe she's not meaning to say that Claire had her clothes remade from 20 years ago, but that people would do that at that time. So, the costume staff for the show reusing the gowns is mirroring what they would've done in the past. 

But see... that's still confusing. ;-)  

I think it just is what it is, and I'm not meant to understand, LOL.

Whenever EW does a photoshoot with these two, it comes off as incredibly chintzy and awkward. I can understand if they stopped by Paris to catch a transAtlantic ship and popped over to Jared's during their layover and got some of her old dresses & his old clothes. I never understood why they never reappeared. Clothes weren't disposable to these people.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

That's plausible, and I thought of that as well.  But I guess I still don't understand why she thought she'd need those dresses in Jamaica. ;-)  

Well, her batsuit was designed for Scotland - maybe she realized that she might need something a little lighter to wear in Jamaica.  Or maybe she did what most of us would do which is go shopping through our old stuff and take some with us.  Especially since we had a big ship to store it in. 

However, here's a wrinkle on the dresses-in-Paris theory:  Terry D just posted a photo on Twitter of the dress with some notes that she made, one of which is "They didn't have enough of any kind of lace at Lallybroch to have it all match."  So who knows.  

50 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

Whenever EW does a photoshoot with these two, it comes off as incredibly chintzy and awkward. I can understand if they stopped by Paris to catch a transAtlantic ship and popped over to Jared's during their layover and got some of her old dresses & his old clothes. I never understood why they never reappeared. Clothes weren't disposable to these people.

Exactly.  

When I see those EW covers I look closely in the background to see if Fabio is lurking somewhere.  I've seen romance novel covers that have more decorum than the poses the magazine has Sam and Cait adopt.  It perpetuates the idea that the Outlander series is a one-genre fit, discarding the adventure and history with a dash of science fiction.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Maybe? But, it's been 20+ years. Would Jared store their clothing for all these years? And, it be in the same condition and still fit?

Maybe? But, it's been 20+ years. Would Jared store their clothing for all these years? And, it be in the same condition and still fit?

*Whispers.* I have 20+ years old clothes in my closet, but most don't fit me anymore. :-( However, Terry was saying they repurpose things, not rewear them exactly as they are. They take apart the garment, use ruffles, buttons, fischus, etc.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

*Whispers.* I have 20+ years old clothes in my closet, but most don't fit me anymore. :-( However, Terry was saying they repurpose things, not rewear them exactly as they are. They take apart the garment, use ruffles, buttons, fischus, etc.

I have some pretty old clothes of my own in my closet, but I don't think I would store someone else's clothes for 20+ years. It's not like Jamie or Claire was likely to return since Claire was thought to be dead and and all. I think how it was done in the book is far more plausible--the dress was borrowed from someone in Jamaica.

However, I agree with what you said earlier. It seems to me Terry is talking  about how the wardrobe team are re-purposing costumes as a way to mirror that practice of the times and give little gems to the fans who pay attention to the costumes. It's like how on other shows you might see them redressing an old set piece or something. It's fun for fans who are into that kind of thing and nice for the production team to not have to start from scratch.

Someone asked Terry on Twitter if that was one of the gowns from S2 that they reworked and Terry said "No, we made it"  So, she made a new gown to look like an old gown? I don't get it either....But by all means don't questions  anything Terry does in regards to the costumes, she does not take any constructive criticism well at all.....sorry for the snarkiness, I'm not a big fan of her....

• Love 2

So, then... she just made that comment to EW for no reason?  OK, got it.  That's very stupid, in my opinion, but whatever.  Don't say you repurposed a dress if you didn't, and don't try to act like it was Claire's from long ago that she hauled along on a ship to Jamaica if she didn't.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Clawdette said:

When I see those EW covers I look closely in the background to see if Fabio is lurking somewhere.  I've seen romance novel covers that have more decorum than the poses the magazine has Sam and Cait adopt.  It perpetuates the idea that the Outlander series is a one-genre fit, discarding the adventure and history with a dash of science fiction.

They pose them to look like lame romance covers. It probably drives Diana crazy though she'd never come out and say it. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

If you look closely at the EW photo, it isn't in even remotely the same condition.  They aged it up.

21 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I finally got a chance to watch this sneak peek with the sound on - I love the end where both Marsali and Claire say "what?!"  Can't wait for this episode!

I love this clip and that moment. Marsali is awesome. I watched it a few times to catch the reactions of the different characters. Love the little exchange between Fergus and Jamie when Marsali threatens to tell people she and Fergus have anticipated the wedding night. It's not just that Fergus signals to Jamie that it isn't true but that the brief interaction has a "man to man" quality to it in that Fergus doesn't look defensive as a younger man might.

You guys I loved the eye roll Marsali was giving Jamie and Claire (mainly Claire).  She is going to keep things interesting.  Poor Fergus and Marsali no bedding.  Tensions may be running a little high.  Should get interesting, sexual frustration on the open sea and the fact Marsali hates Claire.  Marsali was holding her own with Daddy.  

• Love 1