Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 11/10/2017 at 9:02 AM, Atlanta said:

They pose them to look like lame romance covers. It probably drives Diana crazy though she'd never come out and say it. 

I'm excited for the season 4 down-to-earth costumes, back to season 1 flavor. The more rugged, the better. I think it'll make the pictures better too.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

Saw this on Diana's fb page...someone commented that they were assuming Murtagh will be taking over Duncan's role in Season 4.

Diana Gabaldon No, they're not doing that.

Huh.  I would have bet anything.  There's still not a doubt in my mind that he will turn up in the colonies.

• Love 3

I would be very surprised if we don't see Murtagh in the colonies, but they can still do that and not have him take over another character's role. They can create something new for him or have him do bits and pieces of what other characters might have done.

Hmmmm, another tidbit from Diana. Someone asked which of the two in NotAngus/NotRupert duo is Hayes:

Yes, Gavin Hayes is the short one.  My guess as to why they decided to use Lesley as his friend (rather than Duncan Innes) is that they didn't want to mess with a missing arm, along with missing legs and hands. 

So will there be no Duncan character at all then and Lesley is taking that role? 

5 minutes ago, morgan said:

Completely blanking right now.  Do Fergus and Marsali ever know the truth about Claire?

I don't remember them ever telling Fergus and Marsali, but a lot of stuff happens when Fergus is somewhere else, so I'm not sure. They only told wee Ian because he was present when they were reading Otter Tooth's diary and was piecing it together already. But, now that they've told Jenny and the rest of the family, I would guess they would tell Fergus and Marsali too. Or maybe they did and I just don't remember it?

• Love 1

I have a feeling they will tell him on the show. I’m really looking forward to that “trial” in season four where Fergus is defending...Claire? In a mixture of French and English with an air of contempt? I remember ??when I read that and hope we see it on the show!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have a feeling they will tell him on the show. I’m really looking forward to that “trial” in season four where Fergus is defending...Claire? In a mixture of French and English with an air of contempt? I remember ??when I read that and hope we see it on the show!

You mean Fergus' trial for assaulting a Redcoat that was trying to take a mule (or maybe a horse) from Marsali & Germaine?  Jamie demonstrated that Fergus couldn't have hit the guy based on the location of his wounds and Fergus' missing hand.  And it turned out that it was actually Marsali who'd hit the guy?  

Edit: And to date in the books they have not told F&M about the time travel - in the later books, they are usually absent from the main action, though there are a couple of storylines that involve them directly. 

Edited by toolazy
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, toolazy said:

You mean the Fergus' trial for assaulting a Redcoat that was trying to take a mule (or maybe a horse) from Marsali & Germaine?  Jamie demonstrated that Fergus couldn't have hit the guy based on the location of his wounds and Fergus' missing hand.  And it turned out that it was actually Marsali who'd hit the guy?  

That trial is one of my favorite laugh-out-loud moments of Drums of Autumn! ;)

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, toolazy said:

You mean the Fergus' trial for assaulting a Redcoat that was trying to take a mule (or maybe a horse) from Marsali & Germaine?  Jamie demonstrated that Fergus couldn't have hit the guy based on the location of his wounds and Fergus' missing hand.  And it turned out that it was actually Marsali who'd hit the guy?  

Edit: And to date in the books they have not told F&M about the time travel - in the later books, they are usually absent from the main action, though there are a couple of storylines that involve them directly. 

YES! That one! And now I remember it was Marsali who koshed him!???

11 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

That trial is one of my favorite laugh-out-loud moments of Drums of Autumn! ;)

It really is! I really wish the show had given Fergus the hook because he was using it to point and gesture.?????

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I wonder why they made the choice to give Fergus a wooden hand instead of a hook. 

Special effects. I think he just sticks his real hand into the fake one, like a glove. No need for CGI or anything complicated. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Special effects. I think he just sticks his real hand into the fake one, like a glove. No need for CGI or anything complicated. 

Why would they need CGI for a hook?  If they could make a hand for him to stick his hand in, they could make a hook for him to stick his hand in.  Since that is literally what people who wore hooks did.  Except they put their stumps in them, not their hands.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, toolazy said:

Why would they need CGI for a hook?  If they could make a hand for him to stick his hand in, they could make a hook for him to stick his hand in.  Since that is literally what people who wore hooks did.  Except they put their stumps in them, not their hands.

How do you hide fingers in a hook? ;)

Just now, FnkyChkn34 said:

How do you hide fingers in a hook? ;)

The hook has a place that the stump would fit into, doesn't it?  That's where he would hide his hand.  Characters have had hooks in movies and television for way longer than they've had CGI. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, toolazy said:

The hook has a place that the stump would fit into, doesn't it?  That's where he would hide his hand.  Characters have had hooks in movies and television for way longer than they've had CGI. 

Captain Hook, for instance. ;)

Maybe hooks weren't actually all that common at the time and the prosthetic was more true to history? I really don't know on this front, but I imagine Fergus can still have fun pointing his prosthetic at the judge. 

And now I'm thinking about the wedding and the drunken priest! More good times. ;)

• Love 1

I heard Ron talk about the hook thing somewhere.  He said that the arm with the hook would be longer than the arm without because of the space needed to accommodate the actor's hand and he thought that it would look bad and he didn't want to have to always need to work around that.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, SoTheresThat said:

I heard Ron talk about the hook thing somewhere.  He said that the arm with the hook would be longer than the arm without because of the space needed to accommodate the actor's hand and he thought that it would look bad and he didn't want to have to always need to work around that.

That makes sense to me. I think they did the same thing on GoT. 

To hide fingers in a hook, you'd have the whole fist in the way. I agree that it would look bad in this day and age. Old movies or TV shows just did the best they could, but now viewers expect more. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

That makes sense to me. I think they did the same thing on GoT. 

To hide fingers in a hook, you'd have the whole fist in the way. I agree that it would look bad in this day and age. Old movies or TV shows just did the best they could, but now viewers expect more. 

TV managed to do a credible job with Hook on Once Upon A Time, and their budget, on network television, wouldn’t be as much. So I think they could have managed it. Then again, I don’t work on the show, so what do I know?

• Love 1

Moving the conversation regarding a potential Season 5 over to here, where we can discuss the buiks.

Will the never ending day take up the first 4 episodes?  I mean... really.  I quit reading this book about 1/4 of the way in to it, because it was just dragging too much.  Brianna is insufferable, IMO, and nothing was happening.  I give them credit for wanting to see the whole series through on screen, but they are going to have to add/delete a lot to make it interesting, again IMO.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Moving the conversation regarding a potential Season 5 over to here, where we can discuss the buiks.

Will the never ending day take up the first 4 episodes?  I mean... really.  I quit reading this book about 1/4 of the way in to it, because it was just dragging too much.  Brianna is insufferable, IMO, and nothing was happening.  I give them credit for wanting to see the whole series through on screen, but they are going to have to add/delete a lot to make it interesting, again IMO.  

I think one episode on the never-ending day. The structure of the whole day seems very easily adaptable into TV, IMO.

In fact, I think the last few books will actually translate to screen better than the first couple. There is of course an overall plot to these books, but each chapter is almost a self-contained episode sometimes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

I think one episode on the never-ending day. The structure of the whole day seems very easily adaptable into TV, IMO.

In fact, I think the last few books will actually translate to screen better than the first couple. There is of course an overall plot to these books, but each chapter is almost a self-contained episode sometimes.

I agree, but I also thought 30 pages would have been enough for one day, too. All they needed to do was have a wedding, right? The rest was awful filler... for well over 100 pages, wasn't it? Ugh. 

23 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree, but I also thought 30 pages would have been enough for one day, too. All they needed to do was have a wedding, right? The rest was awful filler... for well over 100 pages, wasn't it? Ugh. 

I don't know I'd say it was all filler, I mean, Claire's, little recitation of the Beans Fart Song was pretty damn funny. ;)

Actually, there's a lot of set up for the whole book that happens in that one day.

1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

Interview with Sam and Caitriona about season 4.

'Outlander' Stars Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan Break Down That Big Finale Reset

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/outlander-season-3-finale-explained-caitriona-balfe-sam-heughan-eye-storm-season-4-video-1065682

I love this part:

You are currently in production on season four. Have you heard anything about how long the hiatus is going to be until season four premieres?

Heughan: "I don’t think [viewers] will have to hold their breath for as long as this last one."

Balfe: "Last time was longer than usual. As far as I know, we've tried to keep to the same filming schedule as we did last year. Whether that means that we will be at the same airing schedule, I can't say for sure, but we should hope to be somewhere close to that."

Heughan: "All we have to do is create the beginnings of one of the greatest nations on Earth, so not a very great task."

Saw a message on another forum in which there are photos of the cabin/home that was built for Jamie and Claire on Fraser's Ridge (I assume). You just click on the arrows to cycle through them. Thank you to this young lady, whoever she is!