Type keyword(s) to search

Show Spoilers and Book Talk

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Outlander Star Breaks Down Jamie's Confession, AKA 'The Biggest Departure We Made This Season'

https://tvline.com/2017/10/24/outlander-claire-learns-about-william-season-3-episode-6-caitriona-balfe-interview/

Most interesting that Sam and Cait jointly pushed for the change and their reasons were sound. Inasmuch as Lord John could easily have sent the miniature to Jamie after he left Helwater and before Claire’s return, it works. It also simplifies things when Claire and Lord John meet. A very smart deviation from the Book.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Most interesting that Sam and Cait jointly pushed for the change and their reasons were sound. Inasmuch as Lord John could easily have sent the miniature to Jamie after he left Helwater and before Claire’s return, it works. It also simplifies things when Claire and Lord John meet. A very smart deviation from the Book.

I would concede the biggest departure would be that Jamie married hosebeast when he knew, Knew! that she was responsible for Claire's Witch Trial. And sending the ill-wish. I want tae see how the show handles that.

But I defer all things to Cait and Sam, who have such good and clear understanding of Claire and Jamie.

And I LOVE what Cait says about the reveal:

star Caitriona Balfetells TVLine, explaining that the writers’ choice to change the timing of events was because “they felt that maybe it wasn’t believable that Jamie wouldn’t tell her everything.” For what it’s worth, she approves of the switch. “I think it fits very well in that scene where Claire is sharing about Brianna, that Jamie would at that point want to share that he has a son,” she says. “It ended up working very beautifully in that scene. It becomes about the children, their legacy and what they’ve created in this world.”

She adds that she and co-star Sam Heughan asked the writers early on to amplify the discussion of Brianna and William to include the Frasers’ other child. “I was like, ‘Can we please put in just even the tiniest thing about Faith?’,” she recalls. “Because I think anyone who has lost a child or had a miscarriage or anything like that, it’s something they would never forget and that is still part of this family.”

She adds: “That was beautiful, that we have the scene about the three children in their lives.”

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

Writers' Q&A:

KFed: “Will you risk the man I am...” beautifully reflects Jamie’s fears about his secrets. Why was it omitted? #OutlanderALN

Outlander Writers: Patience young jedi.... 

lynsey j: Such a minor detail, but Jamie handed Claire back the pics of Bree. Will he be holding on to those later?

Outlander Writers: Yes, the pictures are precious to him..

AB Outlanders: Do you have a list of "must have" lines that you think need to be in the show (like more than a few fans..lol)

Outlander Writers: We always have must have lines We ALL have favorites. But we don't always get what we want! 

Jane: Sorry, have to ask. Why the early Willie reveal? What happens in Jamaica then?

Outlander Writers‏: There was a spirited debate about this one. We will discuss more on podcast

Erin: Which episode has had the most "spirited" discussions about changes from the book?

Outlander Writers‏: Every.....single.....one

Outlander Writers: It's our intention that all action lines are filmed. we're disappointed this one wasn't. Will talk more about it on podcast. #OutlanderALN https://twitter.com/DrobertsjhsAnna/status/922941230350258176 …

Outlander Writers: Just to be clear, disappointed we didn't meet fan expectations. NOT disappointed in powerful, emotional performance of @SamHeughan

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Writers' Q&A:

KFed: “Will you risk the man I am...” beautifully reflects Jamie’s fears about his secrets. Why was it omitted? #OutlanderALN

Outlander Writers: Patience young jedi.... 

lynsey j: Such a minor detail, but Jamie handed Claire back the pics of Bree. Will he be holding on to those later?

Outlander Writers: Yes, the pictures are precious to him..

AB Outlanders: Do you have a list of "must have" lines that you think need to be in the show (like more than a few fans..lol)

Outlander Writers: We always have must have lines We ALL have favorites. But we don't always get what we want! 

Jane: Sorry, have to ask. Why the early Willie reveal? What happens in Jamaica then?

Outlander Writers‏: There was a spirited debate about this one. We will discuss more on podcast

Erin: Which episode has had the most "spirited" discussions about changes from the book?

Outlander Writers‏: Every.....single.....one

Outlander Writers: It's our intention that all action lines are filmed. we're disappointed this one wasn't. Will talk more about it on podcast. #OutlanderALN https://twitter.com/DrobertsjhsAnna/status/922941230350258176 …

Outlander Writers: Just to be clear, disappointed we didn't meet fan expectations. NOT disappointed in powerful, emotional performance of @SamHeughan

These questions were on Twitter?  Some are very spoiler-y, and I'd be upset to read through Twitter if I were an unspoiled, non-book reader.  But the question about the photos sounds like a non-book reader who doesn't know what happens to them.  Not sure these Q&As are the best idea.

• Love 1

So if he was 15, that means it happened while he lived at Lallybroch and Jamie was in the cave... hmm, I'm not buying it. ;)

Da dum!!! Who is Young Ian's real father!? What was Jenny Murray and Mary McNabb doing while "Old" Ian was being held by the soldiers? Scots want to know!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Da dum!!! Who is Young Ian's real father!? What was Jenny Murray and Mary McNabb doing while "Old" Ian was being held by the soldiers? Scots want to know!

Ew. Not really funny - Fergus was a kid!  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

So if he was 15, that means it happened while he lived at Lallybroch and Jamie was in the cave... hmm, I'm not buying it. ;)

Haha, that was my reaction, too. That would mean it happened somewhere around the time he lost his hand, too, wouldn't it? (The timeline is a bit fuzzy.) I wonder exactly how many girls/women were hanging about Lallybroch looking for a menage-a-trois with a 15-year-old French boy. But other than that, this clip was hilarious. I loved Young Ian gulping nervously.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

This an interview with Cesar Domboy in which they talk about his audition for Outlander. I'm putting it here because it has a spoiler from a future book beyond Drums of Autumn, which makes one wonder if they've gotten any kind of a green light? (Maybe not.) In any event, it was even a spoiler for *me* because I haven't read beyond DoA and only a little bit of Fiery Cross.

http://starrymag.com/cesar-domboy-outlander/

I think they've started shooting season four or am I imagining things?

22 minutes ago, Atlanta said:

I think they've started shooting season four or am I imagining things?

They have, and in an interview recently, Caitriona mentioned potential future seasons.  But I don't know that season 5 is officially a go.

The speculation is -- if they had Cesar audition, using a scene from a book further along than 4, then perhaps they know something about other seasons being greenlighted. That's all. (I kind of doubt it, but....)

Starz and it’s new parent company have both indicated that they’re quite happy with Outlander, creatively and in ratings performance. I have no reason to think we wouldn’t see book 5 and beyond based on that.mOf the original series on Starz, I believe Outlander is the only one based on source material which also makes a difference. The fact that the storyline evolves in each book with characters arriving and leaving, and new locations, it is almost a reinvention every season. Something that most original premium cable and streaming services struggle with.

1 hour ago, AheadofStraight said:

Is Claire going to wear the batdress for the remainder of the season? ;)

LOL - yep!  She hasn't had time to buy/make/get any new clothes since she's too busy being a brain surgeon and all... ;-) 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Weell, when they get to South Africa Jamaica, I do believe she'll be wearing other clothing, if I recall from the pictures that were posted months ago!

Sure. At least in the books, they prep for their trip in France. I'm sure she buys more clothes. 

Better to put these articles in the spoiler area since they give off so many hints.

'Outlander's Claire and Jamie Bring the Heat as One of TV's Hottest Couples

https://www.tvinsider.com/621554/outlander-jamie-claire-hot-couple-reunion/

And here's a new clip from episode 8:

Exclusive 'Outlander' Clip: Jenny Is *Not* Thrilled to See Claire—at All

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/a13125572/outlander-clip-season-three-episode-eight/

Is anyone else concerned that we only have six episodes left of the season and a lot of plot to get through? I can't help thinking there's a substantial amount of stuff that could have been compressed in the early part of the season.  Are they going to cut off the season before the end of Voyager?

I was going to say they could just hit the highlights of the remaining parts of the book but there is so much to cover.  Ian's kidnapping, Claire and Jamie's time on the ship, Claire's escape from the ship, meeting Lord John again, meeting Geillis again.  Ian's rescue, their shipwreck on the shores of Georgia.  Wow they do have a lot to cover.  They better include Fergus and Marsali's marriage on the beach by the drunken priest lol.  That and the turtle soup incident are 2 of my favorite moments in Voyager.

11 hours ago, pootlus said:

Is anyone else concerned that we only have six episodes left of the season and a lot of plot to get through? I can't help thinking there's a substantial amount of stuff that could have been compressed in the early part of the season.  Are they going to cut off the season before the end of Voyager?

Yeah, I was wondering how they were going to still get it all done. They still have about half the book to get done. However, I can't imagine how they could've condensed the first part of the season more. I've said it before, but I think this book could've used two seasons to get it all done.

• Love 2

I think it's pretty obvious that Ian gets kidnapped this week.  So then we have the ship scenes, which could all happen next week...  I really hope they seriously condense Claire's time on the Porpoise.  That was a snoozefest and very difficult part of the book to get through, IMO.  

• Love 2

This is in the realm of totally unimportant but I think I read that Jamie and Claire will shipwreck in Charleston rather than in Georgia.  If so, it just means that next year we can skip their travels between those two points.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, abbey said:

I was going to say they could just hit the highlights of the remaining parts of the book but there is so much to cover.  Ian's kidnapping, Claire and Jamie's time on the ship, Claire's escape from the ship, meeting Lord John again, meeting Geillis again.  Ian's rescue, their shipwreck on the shores of Georgia.  Wow they do have a lot to cover.  They better include Fergus and Marsali's marriage on the beach by the drunken priest lol.  That and the turtle soup incident are 2 of my favorite moments in Voyager.

I'm apparently a cheese standing alone here but I'm utterly indifferent to the turtle soup scene.  Especially now that I've learned that that episode is written by the same person as "A. Malcolm."   However, I love love love Fergus & Marsali's wedding so I'll be sad if they cut it or change it too much.  "Does he have a cock?"  LOL  Also, it's a really touching moment when Jamie gives Fergus his name.  

2 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

Yeah, I was wondering how they were going to still get it all done. They still have about half the book to get done. However, I can't imagine how they could've condensed the first part of the season more. I've said it before, but I think this book could've used two seasons to get it all done.

I agree completely but there's no way that they could have kept Jamie & Claire apart for most of a season - Outlander fans would have flayed them alive.

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I think it's pretty obvious that Ian gets kidnapped this week.  So then we have the ship scenes, which could all happen next week...  I really hope they seriously condense Claire's time on the Porpoise.  That was a snoozefest and very difficult part of the book to get through, IMO.  

Way too many bodily fluids that I don't care to see on my teevee.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I'm apparently a cheese standing alone here but I'm utterly indifferent to the turtle soup scene.  Especially now that I've learned that that episode is written by the same person as "A. Malcolm."   However, I love love love Fergus & Marsali's wedding so I'll be sad if they cut it or change it too much.  "Does he have a cock?"  LOL  Also, it's a really touching moment when Jamie gives Fergus his name.  

I'll stand with you.  Isn't that the scene where she had to de-lice him first?  And he was just filthy?  I may be confusing the scenes, but... yeah... gross.

I agree that we need to see Jamie give Fergus his name.  That was great.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, toolazy said:

So much this! Turtle soup is cute and all, but Fergus and Marsali's wedding is the best pay off to all the separation nonsense earlier! 

8 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I agree completely but there's no way that they could have kept Jamie & Claire apart for most of a season - Outlander fans would have flayed them alive.

Oh, I agree completely! I just can't imagine what they could've cut from the first half of the season though; they abbreviated so much of it already.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

So much this! Turtle soup is cute and all, but Fergus and Marsali's wedding is the best pay off to all the separation nonsense earlier! 

Oh, I agree completely! I just can't imagine what they could've cut from the first half of the season though; they abbreviated so much of it already.

They could have cut whoever that person was pretending to be Frank.  Since it was an entirely new character and not keeping at all to the source material, he was unnecessary.  ;-)

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, toolazy said:

Especially now that I've learned that that episode is written by the same person as "A. Malcolm."   

Matthew B. Roberts wrote "A. Malcolm" and according to Wikipedia, he doesn't write another one until the season 3 finale.  Again, I may be misremembering, but I don't think either the turtle soup scene or Fergus' wedding should be in the very last episode?  

I'm more concerned with the next 5 episodes - 5 episodes in a row all written by brand new writers.  Karen Campbell, the "Creme de Menthe" writer, reappears for episode 11.  

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

They could have cut whoever that person was pretending to be Frank.  Since it was an entirely new character and not keeping at all to the source material, he was unnecessary.  ;-)

Poor Frank.  I loved him!  :)  

2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Matthew B. Roberts wrote "A. Malcolm" and according to Wikipedia, he doesn't write another one until the season 3 finale.  Again, I may be misremembering, but I don't think either the turtle soup scene or Fergus' wedding should be in the very last episode?  

I'm more concerned with the next 5 episodes - 5 episodes in a row all written by brand new writers.  Karen Campbell, the "Creme de Menthe" writer, reappears for episode 11.  

I think she's co-writing that latter episode with another writer, Shannon Goss.

Here's the link:

http://outlander.wikia.com/wiki/Season_Three

I don't think this season was really ever about BookFrank or ShowFrank (loved that FnkyChkn34) it was all about Claire and Claire's struggles, life, career, Book/ShowFrank was just filling.  He played such an important part in the first 2 seasons I don't know if they knew really what to do with him in the 'future'.  The past was pretty cut and dry.  He was evil and he played that part so well.  This was a writing problem because they had an excellent actor that could have done pretty much anything that was put in front of him.  PEACE

• Love 1
3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I disagree that book Frank and show Frank were all that different, nor do I think his part could've been removed. He's integral to both Claire and Briana's stories, IMO.

• Love 4

Yeah, they could have cut a lot of the Frank stuff, his resemblance or otherwise to the book character notwithstanding. It was somewhat pointless. We basically learned all we needed to know about Frank, Claire, and Bree at the end of season 2--he's dead, he raised Bree, he and Claire had a fraught relationship. Anything more could've been worked in as dialogue. He could have been present without being there, ya know? My strategy, much like the book, would have been to continue on with 1968 as a frame to the 18th-century story: as they came across new info, we saw Jamie living it. That would have done wonders in developing Claire, Briana, and Roger together and in making the story more about Claire's goals instead of about Frank.

Ahem, anyway, that's just my own take on that.

But I can't imagine they'd SKIP Fergus and Marsali's wedding. Kind of an important life event, no? They might downplay it a bit more than me/you/others might like, but it seems like they have to hit that particular milestone.

5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Maybe I'm confusing my episode titles.  I meant the most recent one that wasn't very good.

6 hours ago, toolazy said:

I'm apparently a cheese standing alone here but I'm utterly indifferent to the turtle soup scene. 

Honey, I don't even remember it, and I've read all the books about 3 times...

45 minutes ago, areca said:

Honey, I don't even remember it, and I've read all the books about 3 times...

She is feverish from a stab wound in her arm and the one-legged ship's cook made turtle soup with a lot of sherry.  She got tipsy and then attempted to get frisky with Jamie.  With a stab wound in her arm and in a teeny tiny cabin.   It's kind of funny and silly but it's never been iconic to me simply because it seems exhausting.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, toolazy said:

I get that shark and turtle were eaten at the time, but I’m really sad to see them not just embracing but hella enjoying turtle soup. Turtles in the Caribbean now are endangered because of these behaviors, and I’d just as soon as not see a couple I am rooting for thoughtlessly devour and incorporate into sexy times a dish that to me is like the hunters who took out the buffalo as they rode by on trains.

So I must be a little on edge while I’m waiting for 308 to drop.

18 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Unfortunately they needed something for Claire to do (drama) while Jamie was living his very full life.

I don't remember turtle soup either.  But yeah, if they are going to fit the rest of the book into the remaining episodes, they'd better hoist sail soon.  (I'm anxious to see the Black Sails ships and sets again.)

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Unfortunately they needed something for Claire to do (drama) while Jamie was living his very full life.

I don't remember turtle soup either.  But yeah, if they are going to fit the rest of the book into the remaining episodes, they'd better hoist sail soon.  (I'm anxious to see the Black Sails ships and sets again.)

Ah, but it didn't have to be FRANK, which is what I alluded to up-thread. There were, in my mind--and this is just where I might take it if I were the writer; who knows how well it might actually play out--two options. One, handle it much as they did, with Claire and Jamie moving in tandem through time. However, instead of focusing on Claire and Frank, they could have focused on her career (and given Joe more screen time), or her relationship with Briana like they did with Jamie and Willie. Two--and this is what I propose above--just stay in 1968, which is where we were at the very end of season 2. The drama would be the constant uncovering of new bits of information and what it all means for Claire and Briana. That's how I would have played it if I were a writer (also, that's basically how DG handled it). Too bad they didn't ask me, lol. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Fergus & Marsali's wedding better be filmed!!! 

I'm fairly sure it was. I don't pay as much attention to Outlander Twitter accounts lately. Still, I happened to be online when Sam tweeted something like "snoreee.. 'Frasier!' Frasier?!" That made me assume a night shoot and a certain moment when Jamie says, "Fraser".

I have high hopes for that scene. :)

• Love 2