Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Five Minutes

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Maybe the plan is turning the show into Law & Order: Ordinary Victims Unit keeping the newbie vibe alive, a "super-diverse" [checking multiple boxes] rookie D.A. is assigned to prosecute all the mundane minor cases Mid-Wilshire sees.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

It tends to happen, and is the ruination of many series.

What is ostensibly a cop show, starts to devote more and more time to the personal lives of the characters. Before too long, there is very little cop-show action in each episode, and more details of the draaaama that is everyone's lives.

Personally, I don't care for on-going issues as a result of NeuJackson's past and his aversion to blood. I don't want to know about Wesley/Angela's child rearing troubles. The whole Chen/Bradford business is only a distraction, and Nolan's love-life is completely peripheral as well.

I should get one of those chess-clocks and use it to time the show so as to see how much of it is policework, and how much is personal drama. Of course, some personal life must leak into the show, but when it gets excessive, the show starts to die. Or at least my interest in it does. This may already be the case for The Rookie. 

I signed for an interesting dramedy showing vignettes from the first hard months of a cop rookie life in a big city. 
It was quite refreshing.
When the show started to have story arcs I worried a bit, when the first serial killer appeared and kidnapped one of the main characters, I worried a lot. The original premise is almost lost because the show decided to take itself way too seriously without being able to support this major change. It is Castle all over again!

I would be ok with a jump in the future with our ex-rookies being now TOs having new rookies each season,  that would make sense. 

9 minutes ago, paigow said:

Maybe the plan is turning the show into Law & Order: Ordinary Victims Unit keeping the newbie vibe alive, a "super-diverse" [checking multiple boxes] rookie D.A. is assigned to prosecute all the mundane minor cases Mid-Wilshire sees.

Yes yes, it is turning to a Law and Order show, isinit? with a little touch of Hawaii 5-0 as well. I mean common, Olivia Benson never stormed Guatemala to save Stabler from the hands of the cartel. Yet. 😄

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

Why is no one upset that Melissa is 33 and Eric is 45, that's a 12 year age gap, and he's her boss. 

Well, because Eric Winter is "hot" and Nathan Fillion is "repulsive" or whatever! (This comment almost doesn't represent the author's opinions. Read with caution 😉).

Regarding Chenford and the same issue of the age gap and older man falling for younger woman we have with Nolan and his lady friends, though. I don't think the show will go there this season, at least not to the point of them actually hooking up. The potential endgame for Chenford (if there is one!) is clearly somewhere at the show finale episode/finale season, when either Bradford or Chen will go working to other stations. This season? Nothing would happen, I don't think, except for maybe longing looks and some dramatic angst. So, basically a shiptease for the ratings.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 3

I think Nolan (Nathan Fillion) is attractive, not HOT, but attractive.  He's also my age (IRL).  I think Jenna looks younger than her age, but IMO, I think the issue is she's just not right for the role.  I'm not buying her as a female firefighter and I agree that she has no chemistry with Nolan.  However this is TV, and the male star of the shows always have a super good looking, thin girlfriend/wife no matter how ugly, fat or dorky they are.   

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I think Nolan (Nathan Fillion) is attractive, not HOT, but attractive.  He's also my age (IRL).  I think Jenna looks younger than her age, but IMO, I think the issue is she's just not right for the role.  I'm not buying her as a female firefighter and I agree that she has no chemistry with Nolan.  However this is TV, and the male star of the shows always have a super good looking, thin girlfriend/wife no matter how ugly, fat or dorky they are.   

All of these opinions are subjective. I personally don’t find Eric all that attractive but I agree with you on Nathan being handsome. To each their own. I disagree that Jenna looks younger than her age, and I like their chemistry. I also thought there was chemistry with Ali Larter, but not with Sarah Shahi. Again, my opinion. 

The Chenford fans are a very vocal group so the writers will continue to pander to their “ship”. 

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

The real issue is giving Nolan love interests in which there's a lack of chemistry.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I was fine with the master thief storyline being wrapped up in one epi but yes, the fact that the rookie figured out what the possible target was, okay show...

Perhaps you missed the part at the beginning in Roll Call where they listed the many high value target events happening in LA that weekend, and not knowing which would be the specific target for Tricia Helfer's character. It wasn't until Harper and the new rookie were called back to the murder scene because someone was in the home, confronted the intruder who stated she was the assistant to the murdered woman, a high end celebrity stylist, desperately looking for the missing list of the millions of dollars of high end jewelry being loaned to the celebrities that evening. At that point they realized that the woman was murdered to get that list, and they put two and two together to realize that specific event was the target. It was only because Harper and the new rookie were the ones at the scene that they were the ones to figure out the target. No one else knew those details yet. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
45 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

The real issue is giving Nolan love interests in which there's a lack of chemistry.

I agree.  He actually had good chemistry with Chen.  Melissa O'Neill is just good at generating interest with her character.  That was his most believable relationship in my opinion and probably mostly because of the actress.  

The pregnancy scare girlfriend was annoying, and the blond doctor added nothing to the show.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I agree.  He actually had good chemistry with Chen.  Melissa O'Neill is just good at generating interest with her character.  That was his most believable relationship in my opinion.

The pregnancy scare girlfriend was annoying, and the blond doctor added nothing to the show.  

Chen is equally annoying to me, so you might be onto something there. 😂

• Love 1

Putting aside the whole tired parents schtick, Nolan's love life, and the Chenford issues.....I kind of liked the whole idea of the new rookie coming in totally at odds with the rest of the department.  It creates an interesting tension, and I find the whole twist on the Amanda Knox situation to be an intriguing idea.  Harper et al are completely right to be skeptical, cautious, and defensive, but new!West Aaron is also correct in his passion to fight the good fight.  I was amused how Harper nicknamed him "Five Minutes" which became "Four Minutes" when she became annoyed with him, which then went back to "Five Minutes" when he not only did well in a difficult situation (PTSD moment aside), he broke the big case. 

Time will tell if this new character will stick around, or if he'll just be a long story arc which will resolve in the B- or C-plot of subsequent episodes.  Right now I'm interested to see where this will go, but worried there will be uneven writing that will ruin it.

I was also really amused at the whole "orange slices" running gag between Bradford and Grey.

• Love 6

well, I am not sure if people are comparing apples to apples.  

Nolan is 45. Fillion is 50 and to some looks older still.

Jenna is 41. Jenna (ie: Bailey) looks to be in her mid 30s.

It sounds like some people are comparing the age appearance of Fillion against the age appearance of Bailey so the appearance is an over 50 man with a mid 30s woman which is about a 20 year gap. However for the show, Nolan and Fillion are both reasonable/believable for a 41 year old woman.

What I find hard to buy is that a multinational/multi-rich thief that looks like Tricia Helfer would instantly lust after Nolan before even finding out that he is wise, considerate and thoughtful about all that is life.

FWIW, my wife is a smidge more than 11 years younger than I so I have no issue with large age gaps. (it also means that I was a man in his 50s with a wife in her 30s and soon I will be a man in his 60s with a wife in her 40s :) )

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, zapper said:

well, I am not sure if people are comparing apples to apples.  

Nolan is 45. Fillion is 50 and to some looks older still.

Jenna is 41. Jenna (ie: Bailey) looks to be in her mid 30s.

It sounds like some people are comparing the age appearance of Fillion against the age appearance of Bailey so the appearance is an over 50 man with a mid 30s woman which is about a 20 year gap. However for the show, Nolan and Fillion are both reasonable/believable for a 41 year old woman.

What I find hard to buy is that a multinational/multi-rich thief that looks like Tricia Helfer would instantly lust after Nolan before even finding out that he is wise, considerate and thoughtful about all that is life.

FWIW, my wife is a smidge more than 11 years younger than I so I have no issue with large age gaps. (it also means that I was a man in his 50s with a wife in her 30s and soon I will be a man in his 60s with a wife in her 40s :) )

I guess I missed the part where Tricia Helfer’s  character was “lusting after Nolan”. 

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

I guess I missed the part where Tricia Helfer’s  character was “lusting after Nolan”. 

i paraphrase but when leaning against the back of her vette, she said to Lucy "he looks good in that uniform, i bet he'd look even better out of it". Seemed pretty forward and interested to me. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, zapper said:

i paraphrase but when leaning against the back of her vette, she said to Lucy "he looks good in that uniform, i bet he'd look even better out of it". Seemed pretty forward and interested to me. 

I bet he looks even better out of that uniform.

- Claire Ivy

Let’s not forget the 20-something waitress from the pilot episode who gave him her number. Or the stalker who got obsessed with him in the Valentine Day ep. His CI in season 2 who is like in her early 30’s. The many women at the director’s party in season 1. The serial killer Rosalind. Etc etc etc. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Perhaps you missed the part at the beginning in Roll Call where they listed the many high value target events happening in LA that weekend, and not knowing which would be the specific target for Tricia Helfer's character. It wasn't until Harper and the new rookie were called back to the murder scene because someone was in the home, confronted the intruder who stated she was the assistant to the murdered woman, a high end celebrity stylist, desperately looking for the missing list of the millions of dollars of high end jewelry being loaned to the celebrities that evening. At that point they realized that the woman was murdered to get that list, and they put two and two together to realize that specific event was the target. It was only because Harper and the new rookie were the ones at the scene that they were the ones to figure out the target. No one else knew those details yet. 

I got that point immediately.  I still felt it was a bit too contrived/immediate but like I've said before, I'm not expecting realism in TV/movies.  It just seemed odd to me that a rookie instead of say Harper would come up with it or even someone back at the station.  Also, since when is one stylist in charge of knowing what every star's outfit and assigned jewelry is supposed to be?  Just felt off.

As for the age differences in men and women on this or any show or movie, this is standard Hollywood.  Young girl/older man.  You can say it's because Nathan is a producer of the show or whatever, bottom line, it's almost always been this way going back to the Golden Age of Hollywood or even before.  It's the way it is in books as well.  One of the mystery series I read written by a man, is older guys with younger women and if one of the older guys is with an older woman or a woman his age, the author quickly dispatches of the relationship and hooks up older guy with a younger woman.  In one of the author's series both main male characters had woman their own age but one divorced and another one because a widower, both current wives are younger.  The other series had the male character get together with a woman his own age, established in her career.  He broke them up and put the guy with a younger woman who worked with him.

I'm also way over the Chenford thing.  I didn't like it when it was first proposed and still don't like it.  I know it happens in real life but not as often as it does in the movies/TV.  I don't get shippers and their insistence that things have to go their way or they get offended or up in arms.  I also don't like it when TPTB give in to it.  This show has changed from what it was initially and I'm not liking the focusing so much on personal relationships.  I prefer that stuff to remain mainly off camera because I am more interested in the cases.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

I bet he looks even better out of that uniform.

- Claire Ivy

Let’s not forget the 20-something waitress from the pilot episode who gave him her number. Or the stalker who got obsessed with him in the Valentine Day ep. His CI in season 2 who is like in her early 30’s. The many women at the director’s party in season 1. The serial killer Rosalind. Etc etc etc. 

The women on this show, good or evil, just can't resist Nolan. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I kind of liked the whole idea of the new rookie coming in totally at odds with the rest of the department.

"5 Minutes" (or whatever his name is) is exactly what Nolan was at the beginning of series: A new Rookie who everyone thinks should not be there and so has to prove himself.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, zapper said:

Yeah I just took that to be part of her MO - the clothes, flirt with all the men, cocky, arrogant, I’m smarter than all of you put together attitude. 

• Love 3

More ridiculous than any Nolan love interest for me in this episode is their utter glamorizing of a thief and a murderer.  Lucy gets all gaga eyes over this woman?  Girl, you are supposed to be a police officer, have some dignity.  Meanwhile Claier Ivy is written as such a cliche.  Here let me taunt you by letting you know that I know that you know I am here to steal stuff.  And oh yeah I murdered someone but still I am sexy and drawl everything in a sexy way.

Also, Tricia Helfer looked the opposite of sexy in that black leather outfit.  She is flat as a board and has no ass.  It was all just so try hard.

Harper and the new Rookie was interesting.  But his knock off Amanda Knox back story is dumb. 

I liked Tim/Sgt. Grey's storyline as well.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also, Tricia Helfer looked the opposite of sexy in that black leather outfit.  She is flat as a board and has no ass.  It was all just so try hard.

I remember when she showed up as Lucifer's mom and her character started talking about the ass on her body I could help but laugh. But I did notice the change in contemporary beauty standards. On SyFy Trica Helfer and Grace Park were the star sex symbols on Battlestar Galactica with a Maxim magazine photo shoot to boot. A few years later when Melissa O'Neil was in the SyFy next generation show Dark Matter and Hannah John-Kamen on Killjoys were evidence of changing beauty standards

• Love 1

Jenna Dewan looks her age to me.  Not seeing a woman in her 20s at all.  Maybe mid-30s at the youngest.

I did not watch Castle, but I believe the lead actress was tall-ish, yes? I'm sure the tall man/short woman couples are common in real life.  But it's awkward on camera.  Dewan looks all of 5'2 on a good day, and Fillion looks 6'2-ish.  He seems to be physically awkward opposite the petite women.  I noticed the same with Sarah Shahi.  But he seemed okay opposite Ali Larter.

I don't think we've gotten a lot of Bell and Bradford interaction on the show in general.  They were my favorite scenes.  I didn't mind Wesley and Angela, either, although I do wonder how she'll be brought back into the fold at the station.  Being a detective is great, but not really what the show is about.       

38 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

what fame? who is Jenna Dewan?

I only know her because she and Channing Tatum (the actor) had been married, and then got divorced a couple years ago (they have a daughter together).

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, CooperTV said:

I only know her because she and Channing Tatum (the actor) had been married, and then got divorced a couple years ago (they have a daughter together).

so Nathan Fillion, a 30+ year veteran of show bizness, lead of 5 shows, lead and executive producer of this one was intimidated by the "fame" of an actress who's biggest credit seems to be that she was in Step Up. It's not like he's acting across from Robert Redford or Meryl Streep. (and yes i realize you didn't make the original argument).

• Love 4

It is not cool to trivialize the shit that Amanda Knox went through for this stupid show. I don't mind basing it on her experience, exactly, if they were respectful about it, but obviously they already haven't been with the crime show nonsense with Wesley and Angela (at least they're not messing around with "But was he somehow involved with the murders?" stuff that other Amanda Knox riffs often do. That's SOMEthing. And he, himself, is a respectful enough character). 

They really should have just gone with "He was falsely accused of a murder and was then cleared."

Edited by Brian Cronin
On 10/4/2021 at 1:51 PM, milkyaqua said:

I was fine with the master thief storyline being wrapped up in one epi but yes, the fact that the rookie figured out what the possible target was, okay show...

This is The Rookie. There is about a 0% chance that this is the last we see of Claire on the show. 

On 10/5/2021 at 2:36 AM, devilhalo said:

I liked New Jackson. Compelling character. 

Me too.  I think he and Nyla's work chemistry is going to be interesting.

And why exactly did Gray have to point out that one of the jewel thief's crew was non-binary?  Was it pertinent to the plot or just the writers attempt to show their 'wokeness' in the show?

Chen is a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g.  Always found her to be.  Maybe it's the actress's voice - the vocal fry gets on my nerves.  But when she practically began worshipping the jewel thief like she was some kind of icon - a COP going gaga over a THIEF - I wanted to punch her.  I may be over this show too, but I'm all these seasons vested to stop - kinda like The Walking Dead

Wesley and Lopez' new parent scenes were the only bright spot

Tricia Helfer's plastic surgery is awful.  She has those puppet mouth lines

Anyone else think the Getty Gala jewel heist led by Claire and her crew was sort of a rip off of Ocean's 8 with Sandra Bullock and her crew of ladies ripping off jewels at the annual Met Gala Ball?

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, ctlady said:

But when she practically began worshipping the jewel thief like she was some kind of icon - a COP going gaga over a THIEF

Like Thomas Crown 1.0 & 2.0  or Batman ❤️ Catwoman

Edited by paigow
9 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

They really should have just gone with "He was falsely accused of a murder and was then cleared."

It would be like Harrison Ford joining the U.S. Marshals...

• Love 2

A minor nit to pick, but Tricia Hefler was driving a Corvette. Now the vetted is a cool car, I mean it's a $80,000 sports car that can do almost 200 mph. But this is LA, where folk drive million dollar Lamborghinis and McClaren. A vette is a middle class plaything, not a prestige super car.

Though they probably saved a ton of money renting one instead of a Ferrari for the production.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It is not cool to trivialize the shit that Amanda Knox went through for this stupid show. I don't mind basing it on her experience, exactly, if they were respectful about it, but obviously they already haven't been with the crime show nonsense with Wesley and Angela (at least they're not messing around with "But was he somehow involved with the murders?" stuff that other Amanda Knox riffs often do. That's SOMEthing. And he, himself, is a respectful enough character). 

i mean honestly I was laughing when the two of them were like "why were we debating this, we should've gotten some sleep!"

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

i mean honestly I was laughing when the two of them were like "why were we debating this, we should've gotten some sleep!"

It was a great bit, no doubt about it, but they could have just had them watching a true crime series on a very fictionalized version of the new guy's case. I don't object to him being a guy who was in the news for a big showy murder trial and then he was acquitted and sued to be allowed to be a cop because he's so devoted to making sure someone else doesn't get railroaded like him. That's a fine angle. It's specifically making it the Amanda Knox case that gets me, especially when Knox has been so eloquent earlier THIS YEAR about how much it haunts her when people fictionalize her case (and they always make it more of a "whodunit?" rather than "What horrible thing was done to her"). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, juliet73 said:

And I'm not buying that a TikTok "star" knows all the details about how celebrities get their jewelry before an awards show.

It's also mentioned that he is from a wealthy family who mingle with the hoi-polloi.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

It was a great bit, no doubt about it, but they could have just had them watching a true crime series on a very fictionalized version of the new guy's case. I don't object to him being a guy who was in the news for a big showy murder trial and then he was acquitted and sued to be allowed to be a cop because he's so devoted to making sure someone else doesn't get railroaded like him. That's a fine angle. It's specifically making it the Amanda Knox case that gets me, especially when Knox has been so eloquent earlier THIS YEAR about how much it haunts her when people fictionalize her case (and they always make it more of a "whodunit?" rather than "What horrible thing was done to her"). 

I'm hoping that they shift it to that as we learn more about this guy - maybe someone will be like "OMG UR THE GUY WHO KILLED HIS ROOMMATE!" and then other cops will be like "wow that sucks, it's so horrible that this has tarnished your reputation!" I could see Nolan being in the "What a horrible thing that you had to go through" camp

• Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 11:36 PM, devilhalo said:

I liked New Jackson. Compelling character.

I do too. I was hesitant at first, but even in his second episode he's growing rapidly into an interesting character. I liked Jackson, but I think this guy will be more interesting than Jackson. If they let him be.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:32 AM, Surrealist said:

I'm convinced Nathan's in the writers' ears about making him the most desirable main character in existence. Might have worked in his Firefly days, but not so much now.

Or they're in his ears, because he's their star and want him to be that character, which isn't really the character he started out with.

On 10/5/2021 at 7:51 AM, BlakesMomma said:

As for the celebratory bed scene, Nolan was insecure about asking her out again to begin with. Then she dumped him via text. They had an amazing date and she left indicating more to come. He was happy. I didn't find his behavior at all childish.

<snip>

I find the Chenford fans cringey rooting for a relationship between Lucy and someone in a position of authority over her. Why is no one upset that Melissa is 33 and Eric is 45, that's a 12 year age gap, and he's her boss. 

I didn't find his behavior childish either. Joy and exhilaration don't leave you as you grow older, your responses just get muted over time because society seems to think it's childish. I'm older than Nathan, much older than his character, and I can be just as exuberant (though privately) when something great has happened.

The power dynamic with Bradford and Chen isn't great - even if Bradford's a decent guy.  We do tend to get involved with people at our work, but there are ways to make this less cringey - but they'd have to change Chen's position so she's not a direct report.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:33 AM, BlakesMomma said:

All of these opinions are subjective. I personally don’t find Eric all that attractive but I agree with you on Nathan being handsome. To each their own. I disagree that Jenna looks younger than her age, and I like their chemistry. I also thought there was chemistry with Ali Larter, but not with Sarah Shahi. Again, my opinion.

I don't like Ali Larter (I have no idea why), but thought they had good chemistry and seemed appropriate for each other.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

"5 Minutes" (or whatever his name is) is exactly what Nolan was at the beginning of series: A new Rookie who everyone thinks should not be there and so has to prove himself.

Good point. Except the reason is a higher stakes reason (or rather, a more public scandal).

On 10/5/2021 at 8:48 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I did not watch Castle, but I believe the lead actress was tall-ish, yes? I'm sure the tall man/short woman couples are common in real life.  But it's awkward on camera.  Dewan looks all of 5'2 on a good day, and Fillion looks 6'2-ish.  He seems to be physically awkward opposite the petite women.  I noticed the same with Sarah Shahi.  But he seemed okay opposite Ali Larter.

Good point. They'd never have a couple like my husband and me (even more of a difference than the Dewan/Fillion stature). It doesn't look good on screen.

Edited by Clanstarling
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think this guy will be more interesting than Jackson. If they let him be.

They need to get away from the murder-suspect-now-acquitted-but-some-folk-dubious side of his character. If they don't, they will condemn him to being a one-note (at best) character. Best they drop than immediately, and have him be the new Rookie with a lot to learn but still able to contribute. If they do that he may become a real benefit to the show. Oh, and they need to cut out the crap, like the can't stand the sight of blood nonsense. I get that this is supposed to add nuance, but it just makes him look silly.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

They need to get away from the murder-suspect-now-acquitted-but-some-folk-dubious side of his character. If they don't, they will condemn him to being a one-note (at best) character. Best they drop than immediately, and have him be the new Rookie with a lot to learn but still able to contribute. If they do that he may become a real benefit to the show. Oh, and they need to cut out the crap, like the can't stand the sight of blood nonsense. I get that this is supposed to add nuance, but it just makes him look silly.

I mean I can imagine blood being a trigger for him, at least the first time.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2021 at 8:45 AM, shapeshifter said:

50-year old actor. 41-year-old character.

I've been trying to pin this down.  I thought he was supposed to be a 41-year-old character, but a few episodes ago, he said he was 46.  No one responded to my previous question.  Do you know for sure?

On 10/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, ctlady said:

Me too.  I think he and Nyla's work chemistry is going to be interesting.

And why exactly did Gray have to point out that one of the jewel thief's crew was non-binary?  Was it pertinent to the plot or just the writers attempt to show their 'wokeness' in the show?

Chen is a-n-n-o-y-i-n-g.  Always found her to be.  Maybe it's the actress's voice - the vocal fry gets on my nerves.  But when she practically began worshipping the jewel thief like she was some kind of icon - a COP going gaga over a THIEF - I wanted to punch her.  I may be over this show too, but I'm all these seasons vested to stop - kinda like The Walking Dead

Wesley and Lopez' new parent scenes were the only bright spot

Tricia Helfer's plastic surgery is awful.  She has those puppet mouth lines

Anyone else think the Getty Gala jewel heist led by Claire and her crew was sort of a rip off of Ocean's 8 with Sandra Bullock and her crew of ladies ripping off jewels at the annual Met Gala Ball?

The jewel thief plot was definitely based on the various Ocean movies, with the crews who specialize in various things.  But I always enjoy those plots.  Here, however, it was quite wasted.  We certainly didn't see the criminals develop the plan, and then it ended so comically.  Too easy to catch them, so the criminals were hardly masterminds.