Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Five Minutes

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

5 minutes is how long it took to wrap up the case this week. A heist investigation connected to a murder could have been so interesting, but this was not. I get that this show is more about the lives of the officers, however I think there is a way to see a less abbreviated version of the case of the week also. 

• Love 4

A world famous thief is in LA at the same time of some major celebrity gala where everyone shows up with fabulous jewels, and the only person to put 2+2 together is a new cop on his first day of work?  Oh, seriously, that was just so incredibly stupid.  Also stupid - Chen's puppy doing elaborate murals on her new bedroom walls, in what, a day, maybe two? 

I hate to say it, but my love for The Rookie is pretty much done.  They're changing the show, making it into just another cop show.  I'm so not interested in that. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I wasn't paying attention for the whole hour, so did I miss an actual reason why the thief had to wear a very low cut faux(?) leather catsuit with a corset and stilleto boots? Certainly made her attempt to escape awkward!

And is it just me, or is Nolan playing a bit part on his own show? Because every time I did bother to look at the screen, he wasn't on it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I was fine with the master thief storyline being wrapped up in one epi but yes, the fact that the rookie figured out what the possible target was, okay show...

I'm probably one of the few folks not interested in the love lives of these folks but Nolan and his girlfriend who dumped him,  I get they've got Jenna Dewam and she's obviously meant to stick around but that was clumsy.

And yes, Chen's roommate and her one day room do over was a bit hard to believe but I pretty much just accept that TV/movies don't operate in real time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

Also stupid - Chen's puppy doing elaborate murals on her new bedroom walls, in what, a day, maybe two? 

Heh, Melissa O’Neil/Chen is a good actor, but she couldn’t help letting slip (IMO) that actor O’Neil was as horrified as I was by the “art” on the walls while character Chen said “I love it.”

• LOL 1

Another "meh" episode with stupid writing.
Tricia Helfer's character supposed to be a sophisticated thief who has never been caught, but she decides that the best way to steal jewelry is to attack a vehicle with lots of guns in broad daylight, probably wearing the most uncomfortable of outfits/shoes. 
They went into so much trouble to park a bus over the manhole only to storm the security truck with weapons. Like if a decent security truck carrying all this precious cargo would be so easy to breach. 
The new "Jackson" looks boring. His backstory, boring. And mind you, I used to find original Jackson boring 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

The new "Jackson" looks boring. His backstory, boring. And mind you, I used to find original Jackson boring 😄

Same here.  The writers could still have him turn out to be guilty of murder which would be a nice twist for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I was annoyed at how clearly they are telegraphing "we're going there" with Bradford and Chen.  I like the looks of NewJackson better than old Jackson but that superficiality aside...  The two exhausted parents doing exposition for us was plenty annoying.  Bad writing.  And Nathan has absolutely NO chemistry with Jenna and whoever dressed her for that date was not on her side.  And I really don't like Jenna, and I've tried to be open-minded about her presence because I don't like her as a reality show person, but I thought she might be a decent actor... Nope, so I wish she'd go.

• Love 3

I was disappointed in this episode as well.  Like someone mentioned above, nobody else in the LAPD could figure out a jewelry heist except Jackson 2.0?  And I'm not buying that a TikTok "star" knows all the details about how celebrities get their jewelry before an awards show.  Maybe if the character was a son of a famous celebrity, that might be more believable.  

Tricia Helfer is very very thin!  

I'm over Chen and her puppy, but mainly Chen. And I'm pretty sure her apartment manager is going to be pissed with those graffiti looking walls.  

I could take or leave Nolan's new love interest.  

I wonder how long Bradford is going to last as a sergeant since he wants to be in the middle of the action.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

Nathan has absolutely NO chemistry with Jenna and whoever dressed her for that date was not on her side.  And I really don't like Jenna, and I've tried to be open-minded about her presence because I don't like her as a reality show person, but I thought she might be a decent actor... Nope, so I wish she'd go.

I don't think Nathan has had much chemistry with any of his show love interests, and I'm not sure why. He's kind of stilted in love scenes.

Don't care one way or the other about Dewan. I keep thinking the writers are setting her up to be some sort of con artist. The whole intro to her character was strange. Not to mention her comment to Nolan about how he's too trusting.

I liked this show for the everyday existence for LAPD officers. I couldn't care less about relationship subplots or ones involving babies. Not sure what to think of this series going forward.

• Love 4

Yikes Nolan and Bailey look bad together. Even though the age gap is 10 years in real, it looks a LOT more than that.

Kudos to Jenna’s skin regimen. She actually passes off for a 20-something even though she is 40 in real life. 

Ofcourse super cop Nolan is the one to catch the thief even though no one has caught her before. *yawn. 

I liked New Jackson. Compelling character. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I don't think Nathan has had much chemistry with any of his show love interests, and I'm not sure why. He's kind of stilted in love scenes.

Yep. He seems self-conscious that makes me wonder if he is intimidated by the actress’s fame.
This is not the case for other shows as we know he had great chemistry on Castle and Firefly. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

Yep. He seems self-conscious that makes me wonder if he is intimidated by the actress’s fame.
This is not the case for other shows as we know he had great chemistry on Castle and Firefly. 

Exactly. I wasn't suggesting anything personal on his end, but rather the actresses he's paired with onscreen for this show.

It's pretty much almost always awkward to watch his love scenes.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

Exactly. I wasn't suggesting anything personal on his end, but rather the actresses he's paired with onscreen for this show.

It's pretty much almost always awkward to watch his love scenes.

Nolan as a character is always paired with these younger-looking women that it is icky in current day and age. Also it’s laughable that he is the one who is going to teach her how to be in a relationship with he hasn’t had any success in that area.

So Nolan is NOT only a super cop but he is also super in relationships? Wow! 

Ya the romantic scenes for Nolan are always awkward especially bedroom scenes. They avoided that with Grace. And that was the only relationship I was marginally interested in watching. It seemed more real as compared to the other ones. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

Nolan as a character is always paired with these younger-looking women that it is icky in current day and age. Also it’s laughable that he is the one who is going to teach her how to be in a relationship with he hasn’t had any success in that area.

So Nolan is NOT only a super cop but he is also super in relationships? Wow! 

I know some people think age differences of 10+ years aren't a big deal, and in that case, YMMV.

But Nathan reads older than 50. He's an attractive enough guy, even more so when he was younger, but he's aged. When paired with these much younger women, the contrast is really stark. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Also Nolan is pretty much a doofus. His ex, and college sweetheart, was his only longterm relationship. I think Grace was, basically, a blip in his dating history since he screwed her over. That said she seems to be his "one who got away."

He's not the type who should be helping women with toxic dating histories clean up their act.

His showing up to Bailey's job because she ghosted him didn't sit well with me. It's a bit stalkerish, but also very romcom, and made worse by the fact he's a cop.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I know some people think age differences of 10+ years aren't a big deal, and in that case, YMMV.

But Nathan reads older than 50. He's an attractive enough guy, even more so when he was younger, but he's aged. When paired with these much younger women, the contrast is really stark. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Agreed. He was paired with Dana Delany (who is 15 years older than him) in Desperate Housewives and they looked great together. Considering he looks older than his age, he needs to be paired with women who is older or the same age as him for the pairing to work.

Castle and Firefly are exceptions. The Rookie clearly proves he cannot have chemistry with actresses who are significantly younger than him.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, devilhalo said:

Agreed. He was paired with Dana Delany (who is 15 years older than him) in Desperate Housewives and they looked great together. Considering he looks older than his age, he needs to be paired with women who is older or the same age as him for the pairing to work.

Castle and Firefly are exceptions. The Rookie clearly proves he cannot have chemistry with actresses who are significantly younger than him.

I agree. He and Delaney look good together. Maybe the showrunners should bring her on as Nolan's love interest. That would work.

I haven't decided what to think of Thorsen. Obviously, right out of the gate, we're to assume the worst about his intentions. I don't know. Maybe the character will be an interesting one in the long haul.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

I was annoyed at how clearly they are telegraphing "we're going there" with Bradford and Chen.  I like the looks of NewJackson better than old Jackson but that superficiality aside...  The two exhausted parents doing exposition for us was plenty annoying.  Bad writing.  And Nathan has absolutely NO chemistry with Jenna and whoever dressed her for that date was not on her side.  And I really don't like Jenna, and I've tried to be open-minded about her presence because I don't like her as a reality show person, but I thought she might be a decent actor... Nope, so I wish she'd go.

I got the impression that they were hinting that something happened with Chen and Bradford in the 3-4 months since Jackson died.  First, she had no problem walking into the locker room when he could have been in there undressed.  Second, her asking what else he liked about her is really strange now that he is her supervisor, but it makes sense if they had a more personal relationship. 

I think Jenna Dewan is cute, but she makes no sense as Nolan's girlfriend.  Like others, I just don't buy these two as a realistic couple due to their age difference.  It seems like some perverse male fantasy that younger, cuter womem want to date older guys.  

I also don't see much chemistry there.  It would have been more realistic if he told her off after she broke up by text.  I am really tired of this idea in TV shows that someone who is messed up with relationships is going to find the perfect partner to cure them of their intimacy problems.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I also don't see much chemistry there.  It would have been more realistic if he told her off after she broke up by text.  I am really tired of this idea in TV shows that someone who is messed up with relationships is going to find the perfect partner to cure them of their intimacy problems.

And Bailey breaking down about what a failure she is at dating, which is why she ghosted him feels very romcom. God forbid any woman would be crazy enough to ghost the goofy ass "studly" Nolan (😂). 

I'm convinced Nathan's in the writers' ears about making him the most desirable main character in existence. Might have worked in his Firefly days, but not so much now.

Ghosting isn't the kindest thing to do to someone, but it's commonplace and sometimes necessary because you can't always gauge how the other person will react to being dumped. It can be related to personal safety.  Normal people would feel bummed out, but take the hint and move on.

IIRC, Lucy kind of steered Nolan in the "why don't you just go ask her" direction, but her judgment is oftentimes questionable too.

Would be interesting to know why the writers wrote such a clunky subplot like this one.

FWIW, I like Bradford's, Harper's, and López's storylines the best. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Bring Stana!! 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

Same here.  The writers could still have him turn out to be guilty of murder which would be a nice twist for me. 

And then he will kidnap one of the main characters and the rest of the team will have to go to Djibouti for the rescue! 

Edited by Zaffy
  • LOL 3
36 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I'm convinced Nathan's in the writers' ears about making him the most desirable main character in existence. Might have worked in his Firefly days, but not so much now.

It’s having the opposite effect as even more people are repulsed by Nolan now. Maybe they just don’t care as long as it is canon in the show. 

I do wonder about Nathan and if he has any input in this matter. He said he liked to play flawed characters. Nolan isn’t flawed in any way. 

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, nittany cougar said:

I think Jenna Dewan is cute, but she makes no sense as Nolan's girlfriend.  Like others, I just don't buy these two as a realistic couple due to their age difference.  It seems like some perverse male fantasy that younger, cuter womem want to date older guys.  

They don’t care about chemistry. They just want to show that Nolan is a “stud” enough that hot, younger woman want to be in relationships with him. Because he is such a catch! Another arm candy for Nolan! 

For a show that wants to be woke, this is very un-woke. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

For a show that wants to be woke, this is very un-woke. 

Not sure what fictional character in his forties dating woman in her thirties has to do with "wokeness". Or for that matter, what people with age gaps dating in real life have to do with "wokeness". In real life they're consenting adults, and in fiction they're fictional consenting adults. Interpersonal relationships are not "woke" playground. Personal life called personal precisely because it's not the business of any self-proclaimed "progressive" from Twitter or, as we used to call those ten years ago, nosy neighbor.

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

48 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Not sure what fictional character in his forties dating woman in her thirties has to do with "wokeness". Or for that matter, what people with age gaps dating in real life have to do with "wokeness". In real life they're consenting adults, and in fiction they're fictional consenting adults. Interpersonal relationships are not "woke" playground. Personal life called personal precisely because it's not the business of any self-proclaimed "progressive" from Twitter or, as we used to call those ten years ago, nosy neighbor.

Wokeness is one way to put it. 
To put it bluntly, the way they are portraying Nolan is not appealing. And it’s even more icky that he is going to teach a younger woman how to be in relationships like he is a know-it-all fix it. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, devilhalo said:

It’s having the opposite effect as even more people are repulsed by Nolan now. Maybe they just don’t care as long as it is canon in the show. 

I don't know that I'd say Nolan is repulsive, but rather he's that stereotypical dork who now has all these younger women interested in him, so he feels like a stud. It's not like we haven't seen this storyline before in other shows and in movies.

Nolan pumping his arms into the air victoriously after she leaves makes him seem like an awkward teen who just got laid for the first time. 

It makes me wonder about the writer(s). 😂

• Love 3
19 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I wasn't paying attention for the whole hour, so did I miss an actual reason why the thief had to wear a very low cut faux(?) leather catsuit with a corset and stilleto boots?

Tricia Helfer is attractive, but really thin.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I don't know that I'd say Nolan is repulsive, but rather he's that stereotypical dork who now has all these younger women interested in him, so he feels like a stud. It's not like we haven't seen this storyline before in other shows and in movies.

Nolan pumping his arms into the air victoriously after she leaves makes him seem like an awkward teen who just got laid for the first time. 

It makes me wonder about the writer(s). 😂

Actually a lot of people in SM especially Tumblr and Twitter find Nolan really repulsive. I used to disagree with them in the past. Now, I am forced to agree that what they are saying is true. He is really written as a “middle-aged white male fantasy” character. 

Ya that naked in bed after sex celebration. Embarrassing. Can’t believe this was scripted for a 50-year old character in 2021. 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, devilhalo said:

To put it bluntly, the way they are portraying Nolan is not appealing.

Nolan is a likable doofos of a character but he's emotionally mature in his interpersonal relationships. What's the issue here, I'm not sure?

31 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

He is really written as a “middle-aged white male fantasy” character. 

Nolan always dates age-appropriate women in the show. I think only character that didn't seem to be particularly age-appropriate for him in the show was Lucy, and that's only because Melissa O'Neil in general is younger looking. Otherwise she's perfectly in the range of eligible women for Nolan, just like Jenna Dewan (who is 40-years-old) is.  

15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

50-year old actor. 41-year-old character.

I think they said in the season 1 that Nolan is actually 45-years-old.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Nolan is a likable doofos of a character but he's emotionally mature in his interpersonal relationships. What's the issue here, I'm not sure?

Nolan always dates age-appropriate women in the show. I think only character that didn't seem to be particularly age-appropriate for him in the show was Lucy, and that's only because Melissa O'Neil in general is younger looking. Otherwise she's perfectly in the range of eligible women for Nolan, just like Jenna Dewan (who is 40-years-old) is.  

I think they said in the season 1 that Nolan is actually 45-years-old.

He is the least likabe character of the show. He is a know-it-all who rarely gets anything wrong and is always the one to get the last word or do any arrests. Simply because he is the main character even though it’s not realistic as he is a low-ranking cop for now. He is a male Mary Sue.

Other than Grace, none of it was believable. And only happened as he is the main character. It’s not convincing. Chemistry is bad. They look too young for him. Romantic scenes are awkward to watch. Show me one person who is invested in Nolan’s love life. 

“white male fantasy” because they repeatedly show women-out-of-his-league who are significantly younger than him having relationships with him and drooling over him like he is the catch of the millennium. There’s something very icky about all this. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

“white male fantasy” because they repeatedly show women-out-of-his-league who are significantly younger than him having relationships with him and drooling over him like he is the catch of the millennium. There’s something very icky about all this. 

"Women-out-of-his-league"? I mean, I don't care about Nolan, Nolan's love life and Nathan Fillion is not my type. But Nolan is nice, stable,  psychologically mature guy that cares deeply about his family, friends and his work. Pretty sure any woman with a modicum of respect and self-love would at least consider dating him, not to mention having his babies.

29 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

He is a male Mary Sue.

No, he's just the lead character. 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

"Women-out-of-his-league"? I mean, I don't care about Nolan, Nolan's love life and Nathan Fillion is not my type. But Nolan is nice, stable,  psychologically mature guy that cares deeply about his family, friends and his work. Pretty sure any woman with a modicum of respect and self-love would at least consider dating him, not to mention having his babies.

You don’t really know that when you meet him. It takes time to know a character. They do it immediately. So they are saying she is into his amazing looks. I am sorry but they try to present his character as something special. He is really not. 

• Love 1

A prime example of cops dating / marrying out of their league is Renko from Hill Street Blues. Nolan is non-redneck and non-whiny, making his blind luck in relationships less egregious.

Edited by paigow
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, CooperTV said:

Agree completely with you. In my opinion, after about 35, a ten year age gap becomes irrelevant as it's much different than 20-30 or 30-40 age gap. I don't find the scenes with Dewan cringey at all. 

As for the celebratory bed scene, Nolan was insecure about asking her out again to begin with. Then she dumped him via text. They had an amazing date and she left indicating more to come. He was happy. I didn't find his behavior at all childish.

Stalking is continuous behavior that involves following and harassing someone. Merely showing up outside, in public, waiting to talk to her is far from stalking. There were many people around and nothing about his behavior appeared threatening or dangerous. I completely understand him wanting to talk to her in person to get some clarification about her change in attitude. 

I find the Chenford fans cringey rooting for a relationship between Lucy and someone in a position of authority over her. Why is no one upset that Melissa is 33 and Eric is 45, that's a 12 year age gap, and he's her boss. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 9

Nolan is the star of the show, so it comes as no surprise that he is the one that has all the bright ideas, catches all the bad guys, and gets the girl.

I don't think it is inappropriate for a 50 year old man to date a 40 year old woman. 

I must say, I don't find the Bailey Nune character particularly attractive. She seems... oily. Not sure how this will work out, but only time will tell.

• Love 3

Shall we call him "Saint-Nolan" from now on? 😄
I find Nolan, a lead with a positive character, a nice change from the hordes of anti-heroes that are the main characteristic of "Peak TV" era.  
Of course you can be a nice guy without being perfect, ultra charming, super smart and always right.
So I believe Rookie's writers are exaggerating with Nolan and they should tone it down a little bit.
Still, adorable dork/genius/good cop Nolan is not the issue with the writing recently. 
Main problem remains that it seems they have run out of ideas or they are pushed from their management to be more like the rest of the cop shows.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

Still, adorable dork/genius/good cop Nolan is not the issue with the writing recently. 
Main problem remains that it seems they have run out of ideas or they are pushed from their management to be more like the rest of the cop shows.

It tends to happen, and is the ruination of many series.

What is ostensibly a cop show, starts to devote more and more time to the personal lives of the characters. Before too long, there is very little cop-show action in each episode, and more details of the draaaama that is everyone's lives.

Personally, I don't care for on-going issues as a result of NeuJackson's past and his aversion to blood. I don't want to know about Wesley/Angela's child rearing troubles. The whole Chen/Bradford business is only a distraction, and Nolan's love-life is completely peripheral as well.

I should get one of those chess-clocks and use it to time the show so as to see how much of it is policework, and how much is personal drama. Of course, some personal life must leak into the show, but when it gets excessive, the show starts to die. Or at least my interest in it does. This may already be the case for The Rookie. 

• Love 2