Type keyword(s) to search

Don't Look Up (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Did anyone see Matthew Perry?  I didn't see him at all.

Leo starred in a sitcom called "Growing Pains".

As for movies, these movies run the line pretty close:

The Wolf of Wall Street is a 2013 American biographical crime black comedy film 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood[a] is a 2019 comedy-drama film

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Did anyone see Matthew Perry?

His part was recast with Michael Chiklis.

I’ve been a fan of apocalypse movies for a couple of decades or so, but cooled off during the pandemic. This movie brought me back to the genre, but it did drag at times. Still, worth the watch, IMO. The A-list actors elevate the script——which the subject matter deserves——especially Streep, Blanchett, and Jonah Hill. 

The real subject of the movie is political satire, so it probably can’t be discussed here. The level of satire reminds me of the canceled-too-soon show, BrainDead.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I couldn’t get through it. It was just too close to the times we’re living in now.

I finished it, but I definitely felt a bit down after. I kept on telling myself this could never happen, but not very convincingly… hopefully the billionaires agree to save us in the end in exchange for not raising their taxes or something. 

• Love 15
17 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I finished it, but I definitely felt a bit down after. I kept on telling myself this could never happen, but not very convincingly… hopefully the billionaires agree to save us in the end in exchange for not raising their taxes or something. 

I was sad after because the most treasured moment of my life was in 1996 when I was living in the rural mountains and got to see Comet Hyakutake arcing across the sky for several nights. So the movie kind of took the glow off of that memory for me. At least for a moment. The comet in the movie was mostly a metaphor.

• Love 4

I liked it.  This is kind of the reverse of those movies like Independence Day and Armageddon where all of human kind come together to battle a common threat.  If anything I think it’s a successor of Idiocracy.  A movie that gets written off as a silly comedy but is actually a clever indictment of where we are as a species.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

I was half-watching it last night, as I made my scalloped potatoes, and waited for them to cook (cooking at 2am, as usual). It was okay, but depressing. I did like the end, with Meryl Streep - unfortunately, I think I would be dippy enough to do something like that. 

Edited by Anela
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

The comments about the jobs the comet would provide definitely hit close to home.

When Russia/China decided to attempt to deflect the comet (after being cut out of the corporate deal) did the US bomb the launch site? Or was it just supposed to be a malfunction. I thought it was a strike, but then nobody talked about it again. Starting a war while the war was ending would have fit with the rest of the movies narrative, I’m surprised they didn’t squeeze that in. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

The comments about the jobs the comet would provide definitely hit close to home.

When Russia/China decided to attempt to deflect the comet (after being cut out of the corporate deal) did the US bomb the launch site? Or was it just supposed to be a malfunction. I thought it was a strike, but then nobody talked about it again. Starting a war while the war was ending would have fit with the rest of the movies narrative, I’m surprised they didn’t squeeze that in. 

On Reddit one poster said there was a quick shot of US tanks (I think?) driving away from the explosion, but, if so, I and others missed it. So if it was there, it was probably supposed to be vague and unknowable. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2

^^^Yeah, I noticed the tanks but I wondered how they ever would've gotten close enough to do any real damage. Plus you'd think Russia and China would've had more than one launch site as a failsafe. Anyhoo, I could see this movie's president being talked into destroying the "opposition" to protect her benefactor's project, but not it being done in such a low-tech way.

This movie also reminded me of 2012 (where the super rich have a planned escape that's pretty much only available to them), and Melancholia, where we watch people live out their last days in events related to a wedding. In that film it's another planet about to collide with Earth. There are a couple of group meal scenes where people are either losing their shit or trying to act normal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

God this film was infuriating for long stretches. It became a lot more tolerable once accaptence set in. In both the characters and me.

At the end it had a perfect ending and I don't mean the president being eaten by the brontoroc, although that was amazing, too. Guess the algorythm can predict what animal on another planet 22000 years in the future will eat you, but it was wrong about Dr. Mindy dying alone.

What went through my head during those scenes was: With speed of light video transmission through the internet, you could see the impact long before the shockwave would hit you. That has to be an extra level of terrifying.

I think if you have a ship with cryopods the better options would be orbiting earth for a few thousand years, when the eco system will have recovered from the impact, but I guess there had to be something outlandish in this film that was otherwise just a documentary of current politics and capitalism.

Overall great movie. One of the best I've seen all year.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:14 AM, Avabelle said:

Is this the first comedy DiCaprio has ever done?

Comedy? This is barely even satire.

11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

On Reddit one poster said there was a quick shot of US tanks (I think?) driving away from the explosion, but, if so, I and others missed it. So if it was there, it was probably supposed to be vague and unknowable. 🤷‍♀️

There were tanks in the foreground but I think that was just to signify that the launch site was on a military site. They weren't shooting at the launch and if the US would attack it, they'd use planes, missiles or drones.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 6

I recognize that I struggle with entertainment industry comedy. I don't think I've ever laughed at a stand up comedian and I despise sitcoms because they are not funny.* But this film was a total drudge. Every joke was telegraphed and predictable. I could practically say the character's next lines, it was so..I'm repeating myself, but predictable is the only thing that works. I spent the entire film going "Now X is going to happen, now Y is going to say BLAH," and I was right every damn time.

Ugh. Why can't anyone write comedy that is actually surprising and funny? If the joke is that obvious, no one should be getting paid to write it. 

This movie was just not good.

* Maybe I am old and all this "comedy" has just been done before?

1 hour ago, Zonk said:

At the end it had a perfect ending and I don't mean the president being eaten by the brontoroc, although that was amazing, too. Guess the algorythm can predict what animal on another planet 22000 years in the future will eat you, but it was wrong about Dr. Mindy dying alone.

Perhaps if Dr. Mindy had stayed with TV news anchor Brie, he would have died alone? If that was the point, it borders on moralistic, but I don't think morality was part of the point--rather that choosing to be with the one you love rather than loving the one you're with (to paraphrase an old tune) means you don't die alone. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I recognize that I struggle with entertainment industry comedy. I don't think I've ever laughed at a stand up comedian and I despise sitcoms because they are not funny.*

I don't think it was supposed to be a comedy. This was a biting satire and those are never laugh-out-loud-funny. They are always chuckle-at-the-absurdity-funny. Whoever decided to sell this as a comedy did it a huge disservice.

I saw a comparison to idiocracy above and I think that's pretty apt.

I loved this film, but not as a comedy. As a comedy it would be crap.

• Love 7
Just now, Zonk said:

I don't think it was supposed to be a comedy. This was a biting satire and those are never laugh-out-loud-funny. They are always chuckle-at-the-absurdity-funny. Whoever decided to sell this as a comedy did it a huge disservice.

I saw a comparison to idiocracy above and I think that's pretty apt.

I loved this film, but not as a comedy. As a comedy it would be crap.

I see your point, but as satire, it’s far, far, far behind the times. It would have been decent satire in 2017, but now? Meh. Been there, done that, saw a hipster wearing the t-shirt, had the poster in my despair.com 2018 calendar. If every line hadn’t been predictable, I might have chuckled at the absurdity. Jordan Klepper could have done a better bit with more bite in a tenth of the run time.

I know this was meant as political satire, and an analogy for something else.  I suspect I share the same feelings / frustrations as the filmmakers about the underlying issues analogized here.   However, I didn't find this film to be effective.   Lop off about a half hour, really focus the narrative, and tamp down on most or all of the campy elements and you could've had a really chilling, thought-provoking film.   

Why did we spend so much time (or any time!) on the Randall / Brie affair?  Who cares?  The Brie character is awful and one-note, and the fact that Randall (our hero here) cheats on his wife with her in the middle of a catastrophe just makes him look terrible.  

The Jennifer Lawrence character ...  why that horrible, distracting wig?  I couldn't get into the love interest for her at the end of the film, because there was no time to develop him -- he's just a collection of quirky traits.  And why are both Randall and Kate written as kind of immature?  

The BASH CEO ... he's like a terribly written and acted SNL character, took me out of the narrative entirely.  

And look, we know who the movie is blatantly referencing with the president character, it was not at all subtle, so trying to obscure that by changing the gender and putting pictures of a certain former president on her desk was simply annoying.  This was not a good character for Meryl Streep and maybe the most meh acting I've ever seen from her -- she's done banal evil so much better in other films (the Manchurian Candidate, for instance).  

The stuff about the pop singer ... again, who cares?  Yes, I understand the point is that the media and public care when they shouldn't, but you don't need entire scenes with Ariana Grande to make that point - and the stunt-casting is distracting.

This is a movie that needed some longer, quieter, sad scenes and to just let them breathe -- we almost get one, with Randall and Kate in the car listening to music, and Kate quietly tearing up as they start to accept it's hopeless .... but then Kate's quirky new love interest has to pipe up from the backseat and say something "cute"!   Bah, humbug!  Annoying! 

• Love 7

I'd also put this movie as cousin to Wag The Dog, if you want to go way back. Or a neighbor to Veep. 

I watched it on the plane. It's a good plane movie. I liked that you could actually see the comet. And pointing out the value of peer review. That's not really in movies. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I recognize that I struggle with entertainment industry comedy. I don't think I've ever laughed at a stand up comedian and I despise sitcoms because they are not funny.* But this film was a total drudge. Every joke was telegraphed and predictable. I could practically say the character's next lines, it was so..I'm repeating myself, but predictable is the only thing that works. I spent the entire film going "Now X is going to happen, now Y is going to say BLAH," and I was right every damn time.

Ugh. Why can't anyone write comedy that is actually surprising and funny? If the joke is that obvious, no one should be getting paid to write it. 

This movie was just not good.

* Maybe I am old and all this "comedy" has just been done before?

Because it all has been done before.  This was never supposed to be a new and original never before seen take on the end of the world comedy.  I named two end of the world dramas this borrows from almost directly.   Independence Day and Armageddon.     But it isn’t even a comedy and more a satire that borrowed  directly from the “none of my friends have seen it but a whole mess of people consider it brilliant” .  idiocracy    Plus it also kinda takes from real life which I won’t get into because that kinda borders on breaking forum rules. 

8 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Why did we spend so much time (or any time!) on the Randall / Brie affair?  Who cares?  The Brie character is awful and one-note, and the fact that Randall (our hero here) cheats on his wife with her in the middle of a catastrophe just makes him look terrible.  

I think that's an important part about a message.    How many times do we hear a message from someone   but then go on twitter or something and see a thousand people comment "But he cheated on his wife so why should I listen to him?"  Its just another form of misinformation that people use to get us to focus away from important messages.    LD has been going around talking about Climate Change and people have instead been accusing him of having his own private jet or dating younger women.  Both are beside the point.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

...I share the same feelings / frustrations as the filmmakers about the underlying issues analogized here.   However, I didn't find this film to be effective.   Lop off about a half hour, really focus the narrative, and tamp down on most or all of the campy elements and you could've had a really chilling, thought-provoking film....   

👆pretty much my take too.

...Why did we spend so much time (or any time!) on the Randall / Brie affair?  Who cares?  The Brie character is awful and one-note, and the fact that Randall (our hero here) cheats on his wife with her in the middle of a catastrophe just makes him look terrible....

Yes. Yes. Yes.
But without the cringe-inducing affair, Dr. Mindy is just another superhero. 
More importantly--at least to me--both Dr. Mindy's infidelity and his wife's are metaphors for not giving up on returning to environmentally responsible behavior even at this late date. Their final scene underscored that for me. But, given the ending, maybe I'm just a stupidly hopeful fool for still trying to decrease my environmental footprint? And maybe my interpretation--while arguably apt--was not intended?
Still, yes, Brie is awful, but, to me, she represents all the classy indulgences of the uber rich that are lopping off pieces of ice shelfs one extravagant getaway vacation at a time.

The Jennifer Lawrence character ...  why that horrible, distracting wig?

I have more rants about the hair, makeup, etc. on the show, but just hope Nobody nominates the film for that category. 

This was not a good character for Meryl Streep and maybe the most meh acting I've ever seen from her

I appreciated her acting here because she underscores my opinions with it. But I can understand not wanting to see that too, even if we would agree on the principles.

The stuff about the pop singer ... again, who cares?  Yes, I understand the point is that the media and public care when they shouldn't, but you don't need entire scenes with Ariana Grande to make that point - and the stunt-casting is distracting.

Yes. Make it a snip and then release the song in its entirety for fans. I wonder if there was a manager for Ariana Grande who insisted on the whole song being included? If so, she needs a new manager. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Because it all has been done before.  This was never supposed to be a new and original never before seen take on the end of the world comedy.  I named two end of the world dramas this borrows from almost directly.   Independence Day and Armageddon.     But it isn’t even a comedy and more a satire that borrowed  directly from the “nine of my friends have seem but a whole mess of people consider it brilliant” idiotcracy.      Plus it also kinda takes from real life which I won’t get into because that kinda borders on breaking forum rules. 

It's not new, it's not original, it's not interesting, it makes a point that's been made already, been made better and is so blatantly obvious that it's just tiresome. 

(Also on Independence Day and Armageddon, fine bits of froth the first time around, but not something from which I'd care to borrow.)

I have no idea what the bolded line is supposed to be saying. I even googled it to see if this was some internet phrasing ("all your base belong to us"), but couldn't find anything. 

I usually don't bother replying about movies I didn't like, but this film was just a worthless waste of time and acting talent, and I'm annoyed that I spent 2.5 hours of my life watching it. 

6 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

(Also on Independence Day and Armageddon, fine bits of froth the first time around, but not something from which I'd care to borrow.)

I have no idea what the bolded line is supposed to be saying. I even googled it to see if this was some internet phrasing ("all your base belong to us"), but couldn't find anything. 

the autocorrect on my phone hates me.   I try to correct but its often like rereading a term paper I did during college.  No matter how many times I read it there is always something I miss and i am not giving it to someone else to read so....ooops.  What I meant to say is "No one I know but me has seen idiocracy but half of the internet considers it brilliant."  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think that's an important part about a message.    How many times do we hear a message from someone   but then go on twitter or something and see a thousand people comment "But he cheated on his wife so why should I listen to him?"  Its just another form of misinformation that people use to get us to focus away from important messages.    LD has been going around talking about Climate Change and people have instead been accusing him of having his own private jet or dating younger women.  Both are beside the point.  

Now that's a very important point, but in the movie did Randall's affair come out / get used against him on social media or in the news?   I feel like I missed something, then, because I only recall the scene where his wife finds out, not him getting trashed in the media/ his important message undermined because because of his personal flaws.    Again, this was a movie way too stuffed with too many ideas and scenes and I think it undercut the message way too much.  

That actually would've been much more effective if he starts the movie estranged from his wife, the reasons for that estrangement come up in the media and it's used against him in a disinformation campaign ... and then, yes, at the end he gets the bittersweet reunion with his wife.  

Of course, then Melanie Lynskey gets very little to do ... but I think that's part of the problem.  They wanted a star studded movie (and/or all these actors truly want to be part of a message they believe in), but then roles that should be cut down substantially or have no or little dialogue have to be expanded so it's worth it to pay these celebrities.   ** 

A much more spare approach would've worked better here.  For example, like the slow-moving dread of the Jaws scenes where the sheriff realizes the mayor and other local officials are willing to risk people's lives and limbs for the tourist economy.  

** ETA: a bit ironic that a film about the US being too unserious and distracted to save ourselves from catastrophe, and obsessed with celebrities (all fair criticisms)... felt the need to pack the movie with celebrities and distractions.  DiCaprio and Lawrence and Streep should've been enough to intrigue audiences -- and then expand and write those roles better!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

The BASH CEO ... he's like a terribly written and acted SNL character, took me out of the narrative entirely.  

Have you ever heard Elon Musk speak on stage and/or read his tweets? Because, yeah... that's sadly not just a terribly written and acted SNL parody, that's real life. He called people trying to rescue children from a flooded cave pedophiles, because they wouldn't use his stupid ideas.

14 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

That was important to show how even the people who mean well can be seduced by fame and fortune and gave him a redemption arc at the end. He broke through the path of his life the algorythm had predicted for him. Almost nobody does that. Even the president was eaten by a brontoroc.

• Love 12

Didn’t hate it, didn’t love it, didn’t feel like I wasted my time, but not going to try to talk anyone else into watching. 
The one thing that bugged me was how they kept saying the impact would be in x months, x days, x hours…  A month is not a scientific unit of measurement!  Maybe they were looking at the calendar and translating for the general public, but it seemed like even the scientists were doing that among themselves. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have more rants about the hair, makeup, etc. on the show, but just hope Nobody nominates the film for that category. 

Whatever was around Timothee Chamalat’s neck was really distracting. Was it a faux fur collar on his jacket, or super fried extensions. His hair was so distracting I couldn’t pay attention during any of his scenes. 

9 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Whatever was around Timothee Chamalat’s neck was really distracting. Was it a faux fur collar on his jacket, or super fried extensions. His hair was so distracting I couldn’t pay attention during any of his scenes. 

Ha, I kept wondering the same thing. And I kept being similarly distracted by Mark Rylance's fake teeth - it almost looked like he was having trouble keeping them in his mouth while talking. 

I -- kinda liked this, didn't love it. Felt like it could've been about half an hour shorter and maybe just a little bit more subtle. There were bits that I loved, like Jennifer Lawrence's character being hung up on being charged for the free snacks, and I liked that it felt like how something like this might actually realistically go, but on the whole I thought it felt a little meandering.

I did absolutely assume that the US were responsible for the failed attempt of the others to destroy the comet.

• Love 3
On 12/27/2021 at 6:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

This movie managed to put Jennifer Lawrence in a black leather skirt and somehow made her look plain in it, a feat which I did not think was scientifically possible.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Heh, I think it was supposed to be his hair?  Bad hair = good character in this movie, apparently.

I found everything about Timothee Chamalat's character distracting (though I've liked the actor in other films).  Maybe they were going for an On the Beach type thing where the main characters have one last romance as they wait to die?  Or maybe the writers just couldn't let poor Kate have nothing but misery.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Sigh.  Much like Kate fixating on being wrongfully charged for White House snacks, the more I think about the Timothee Chalamat character, the more irritated I become.  

I think Kate's fixation on being charged for free snacks by a Military Bigwig is one bit that could have benefitted from some Exposition Fairy dialogue. 
Did he do it because he felt they didn't deserve a "free lunch"?
Maybe. 
But probably it was supposed to show Kate trying to solve something that she should be able to solve at a time when she was powerless to prevent the end of the world even though she was one of the few people who had the right type of knowledge to contribute to solving the problem of how to save the world.

It seems like this version of the movie was a "Director's cut" and that Netflix should have released a shorter version (for instance, without the entirety of Ariana Grande's song).
Maybe then they would have added a bit more about the Free Snacks to make it worth including at all.

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, absnow54 said:

I worked in financial services for a bit and that was 100% something any number of my coworkers there would have said. During the protests this summer there was a lot of "what about the businesses and the jobs they create?" talk.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, Zonk said:

That was important to show how even the people who mean well can be seduced by fame and fortune

Yeah, he got caught up in his glow-up. What does Tina Fey say in the "dealbreaker" bit on 30 Rock - he thinks he should have a vagina upgrade? That. When he gets caught and his wife is like "her or me" and he's like "Well, we had a good run" I was like OUCH.

On 12/27/2021 at 1:40 AM, SlovakPrincess said:

This was not a good character for Meryl Streep and maybe the most meh acting I've ever seen from her

Definitely one of the performances I liked the least, and I'm not accustomed to not liking performances of hers. Movies, yes; performances, no.

• Love 3

I got depressed watching this. Because sadly I am convinced this is how it would go where we to face this kind of extinction event. Without the broad satire but with even more incompetence, venality and stick your head in the sand attitude.

• Love 8

Well that was pointed and pretty accurate portrayal of our current media focused culture and political state, imo.  yup, we are doomed.  

the ending was perfect.  all these old people who got a pod because they were rich donors, and looks like they will all get eaten.  didn't look like enough to reproduce, and were there any with actual survival skills?  lol

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Hanahope said:

ere there any with actual survival skills?

They couldn't even remember to pack clothes for when they woke up.   Really, they all had clothes on when they got to the escape ship, why couldn't they plan accordingly?

But I had the same thought.   You are now on an uninhabited planet, there is no electricity, no masses to labor for you, you have to build everything from scratch.   It is a hard existence and Mr. Flabby Stomach is not going to like it.  

I also think the US hit the Russian/Chinese launch.   Not because of the tanks in the shot, but because it is something they would do to protect the rare elements on the asteroid.   Although WHY they couldn't nudge it out of a direct hit then go mind the asteroid I have no clue.  If you can build robots to plant explosives to blow it to pieces, you can build robots to mine then bring the stuff safely down.   but you know that would be thinking beyond the immediate.

But this is what will happen for sure.   A celebrity's love life will get more airtime than an ELE.   I mean look what happened when Nicki Minaj posted about her cousin's friend's wedding being called off because he had "adverse side effects" from a Covid shot (it was really an STD and the bride found out he was cheating on her).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I think the reason they had no clothes was because it was thousands of years in the future when the space ship finally found / landed on a habitable planet.  Any fabric would have disintegrated by then.  

Now the idea that the government is secretly hiding these super advanced spaceships for billionaires and POTUS to escape earth ... but wouldn't plan ahead and take some young people to somehow populate the new planet ... a lot of silliness for a juvenile mid-credits joke.  

• Love 1
On 12/27/2021 at 6:19 AM, shapeshifter said:

👆

Yes. Make it a snip and then release the song in its entirety for fans. I wonder if there was a manager for Ariana Grande who insisted on the whole song being included? If so, she needs a new manager. 

My thoughts would be how much of a song must be played to qualify for an Oscar.

The ending dinner for the good guys reminded me of the Sandra Oh movie Last Night as they faced extinction.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1

I enjoyed it.

Practically every movie is bordering out two and a half hours now and that needs to stop. Most stories can be done in under two hours.

I was most happy to see Michael Chiklis. The man who played Vic Mackey deserves a bigger career.

No it wasn't ha ha funny. I never expected it to be.

It didn't make me sad or angry. I don't really watch things and let it affect my mental state. I'm also well aware of how much a cluster fuck a ELE would be. 

• Love 3