Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E03: Power of Veto #1

• Start Topic

I appreciate that most of the houseguests this season don’t shout during their DRs. Frenchie is loud during DRs but everyone else spoke at pretty normal volume.

Frenchie is nuts. Every single one of his nominations involved him going back on a promise he made.

• Love 23
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Michichick said:

Frenchie is nuts. Every single one of his nominations involved him going back on a promise he made.

Even crazier, he feels justified in his noms, not realizing he's now burned three people he gave his word to and gave reason for 3/4 of the rest of the house to be pissed at him as well. Granted game machinations have gone against his plans (in a beautiful way with the comp picks heh) but still he's bungling this in a massive way. It HAS to be the messiest first week HoH ever. Week ONE Brandon!! *shakes head*

Also his mumble mouthed stories of dreams and life on the farm are really odd. But he feels good to have gotten his stud bull or something?? I couldn't make out a word of it pretty much. Every time he makes a move or opens his mouth he digs himself a little bigger pit.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 12

Hate Pug (Frenchie) even more. He is the worst. For all that is holy, please, houseguests let him ride off into the sunset next....please!

Team Brent...ALL.THE.WAY!. He is a great gamer and he was brilliant to pick Tiffany and Derek for his team...who is his 4th? But, yep, great team. 

• Love 2

As a POC myself I have to say I am a little dissapointed in the formation of The Cookout. I don't want this season to devolve into a  Us vs Them with such a promising cast. I didn't like it when Jackson and his cronies appeared to  have that playbook and I don't like it now. I thought with a diverse cast it wouldn't start splintering into factions.

Frenchie's HOH is a Hot Mess and he thinks its great? With all his flip flopping back and forth how many enemies did he probably make? He was a failure from start to finish. I'll love it if Christian and Alyssa DO turn into a showmance and after all and he'll be "Aw shucks" ah was done right after all and I didn't get her out' They way he plays the game I fully expect to see next episode that he's had another ephiphany and starts singing the praises of Travis and what a mistake he's made. He should fade into the woodwork next week if he's not the boot.

Hannah makes a cameo with no lines and Clair only got a DR!

Editors fooled me for once though....when Sarah Beth or whatever he name is started revealing a tragic backstory that is usually code for the Producers rushing to get it on air before the person gets booted so early on I thought she would wind up on the block.

Speaking of production they are probably working overtime at Grodner's request to sway the HG into saving Travis because he's the type she just loves to have in the house (see her pet Jesse she's trotted out so many times over the years)

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

Also his mumble mouthed stories of dreams and life on the farm are really odd. But he feels good to have gotten his stud bull or something??

You forgot the fish! 

Wow, there are some gorgeous people this season! I know that's not super surprising, but I love what a huge variety of gorgeous people we have - not a bunch of clones. 

I actually teared up during the scene where Kyland was crying and everyone was so empathetic and kind to him. I'm still liking almost everybody so far. Even Frenchie, while insane, isn't all bad. He makes a fun kind of villain. 

We never hear Britini talk other than to say "Yayyy! You can do it!" I don't think we've heard from Claire much yet either. Lots of time though. I keep forgetting the game has barely started. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

As a POC myself I have to say I am a little dissapointed in the formation of The Cookout.

Yes. When they were planning it I understood why, but I thought it could be a double-edged sword. I like everyone in it and I believe they have good motives so let's hope it doesn't end up in a place they didn't intend. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

As a POC myself I have to say I am a little dissapointed in the formation of The Cookout. I don't want this season to devolve into a  Us vs Them with such a promising cast.

Yeah, I had filed that one under 'wait and see'. There are seemingly some good peeps in the group and I like how they've supported each other esp. Kylan but I'm a bit leery of how this will progress. They were iirc saying each of them was going to bring in one trusted person? So it could quickly become one of those 'Now 3/4 of the house is safe' alliances as well.

We see a million alliance form/disband/explode so in this case I was trying to view it clearly but not differently than if 6 white people make an alliance on Day 3. But I do feel it could be a slippery slope, I admit.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

Congratulations, BB23. In week one, Big Brother 23 has used half of the amount of Vetos used during BB22: AS2: 2 Big 2 Brother. That's a huge accomplishment in Big Brother!
tenor.gif?itemid=5751062

How dare you. This triggered my PTPD: post-traumatic Paul disorder. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 6

Frenchie is the worst lol. He is both paranoid and easily manipulated.  Brent won him over pretty quick with a story ,even though Frenchie wanted him gone.  Christian and Alyssa quickly changed his mind about them, with them not really saying much. Then he becomes paranoid about Derek X.  And tells Brent not to be seen with him ...wow, crazy.

I'm glad Kyland is off the block, I felt so bad when he was crying. 

I don't care who goes  Alyssa or Travis.  

• Love 7

Frenchie has one of those big red countdown clocks ticking away his last days in the BB house, but I hate to see him go.  He cracks me up.

He's completely paranoid, completely convinced he's doing the correct and necessary thing, then completely certain he needs to do something else, NO MATTER WHAT! and then finally he's sure it's all turned out perfectly.  Yahtzee!

And while he runs around like some kind of old coot on locoweed, spouting weird farmer/superfan theory, each step is getting him a bigger side-eye from the others.

Now who's going to be as fun as that?

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, North of Eden said:

As a POC myself I have to say I am a little dissapointed in the formation of The Cookout. I don't want this season to devolve into a  Us vs Them with such a promising cast. I didn't like it when Jackson and his cronies appeared to  have that playbook and I don't like it now. I thought with a diverse cast it wouldn't start splintering into factions.

I have never gotten alliances like that (I do get it from the members of the Cookout's standpoint, but do not agree with it).  Meaning all-men's alliance, all-women's alliances, all white people alliances, or in the case above an all black person alliance. 

First off it boils people down to just their physical traits which they were born with.  You are also assuming that everyone who looks like you is a monolith.  Which is simply never the case.  Sure there are certain lived experiences that only people that look like you have experienced but that does not mean that you will get along because of it. 

I mean damn, Derek F. should know this better than most due this his father and Muhammad Ali's relationship.  By Derek's logic Joe and Muhammad should have gotten along perfectly but Joe hated Muhammad for the things he said about him. 

Plus in the case of an all of the same gender alliance, you are shutting out half of the house.  Thus limiting the information you are getting.  Plus for me personally, I do not want to be hanging around with a bunch of dudes for three months potentially.  That just sounds boring.

1 hour ago, candall said:

Frenchie has one of those big red countdown clocks ticking away his last days in the BB house, but I hate to see him go.  He cracks me up.

He's completely paranoid, completely convinced he's doing the correct and necessary thing, then completely certain he needs to do something else, NO MATTER WHAT! and then finally he's sure it's all turned out perfectly.  Yahtzee!

And while he runs around like some kind of old coot on locoweed, spouting weird farmer/superfan theory, each step is getting him a bigger side-eye from the others.

The funny thing is he was the one who talked about keeping a notebook of all of the things past house guests have done wrong that led to their downfall.  I guess he forgot everything he wrote in it and when he gets voted out he can have a whole chapter about himself in it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

I was wondering what Travis's ethnic background is.  I was wondering if he's biracial or something.   I kind of want Travis to stay.  Both Derek and Travis seem bad at this game (?) but I like them.

I always have trouble with the rules.  Being that Derek won POV, was Frenchie then prevented from putting Derek on the block once Derek removed Kyland?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I was wondering what Travis's ethnic background is.  I was wondering if he's biracial or something.   I kind of want Travis to stay.  Both Derek and Travis seem bad at this game (?) but I like them.

I always have trouble with the rules.  Being that Derek won POV, was Frenchie then prevented from putting Derek on the block once Derek removed Kyland?

Yes. PoV holder and person he uses PoV on are safe.

So like 5 were safe from various game things (I think?) and another 8 were promised safety. Only Kyland and Derek were not but they became safe with PoV...ha. So Pug had to go back on his word again with Travis. Just like he did with Alyssa. Dude, is dumber than a stump.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Lamima said:

Hate Pug (Frenchie) even more. He is the worst. For all that is holy, please, houseguests let him ride off into the sunset next....please!

Team Brent...ALL.THE.WAY!. He is a great gamer and he was brilliant to pick Tiffany and Derek for his team...who is his 4th? But, yep, great team. 

So...in reading up I realized Brent was not team leader, Whitney was, and Tiffany is not on their team but Hannah is. So nevermind my post. But still team Brent. Rooting for him. And Derek because I like how he played PoV smartly. But, if I were him, I wouldn't have used the PoV and would have told Travis that Pug was going to put him up. Have Travis' team on his side instead of Pug's team. Pug is going next anyway so why be on his good side. But he did what Brent told him. Brent is in it to win it!

• Love 2

Not a fan of the Cookout forming due to them all being black. But others up thread worded it well. 

Brent looks like an actor, but I can't figure out who! Or a musician? 

Kinda boring episode, but they usually are so early. I agree Frenchie is totally playing way too hard. It's so early. He needs to chill. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cherry Cola said:

Not sure if you remember back to Real World Seattle but he could be the twin brother of David Burns from that season.

When they showed the flashback of French's Mustard making his "never gonna put you up" promise to the guys he entered the game with, it was a huge tip-off that this guy was going to play like he was shot out of a cannon.  If he's such a superfan, it doesn't make any sense to make immediate promises until you at least let the other players enter the game and wait to see what the first "twists" are.  He came in hotter than anyone who has ever played this game, I think.  He'd be a great person to keep around but not unless he can shut up and stop strategizing for more than a few minutes at a time.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Frenchie is the worst lol. He is both paranoid and easily manipulated.  Brent won him over pretty quick with a story ,even though Frenchie wanted him gone.  Christian and Alyssa quickly changed his mind about them, with them not really saying much. Then he becomes paranoid about Derek X.  And tells Brent not to be seen with him ...wow, crazy.

He's a dumbass for sure. I had such high hopes for him. I still say his initial approach of taking out one of the alpha males was the right play. That never happens  in Week 1. Hell, it's rare one of the alpha males isn't the first HoH. And too many HoH's want to make easy noms so they don't get the proverbial blood on their hands. That's why the alpha males make it so far - nobody wants to take that first shot until it's way too late and the numbers are gone.

That said, Frenchie was too dumb to play this right and you can change his mind just by having one conversation with him. Brent did, Alyssa and Christian did and I'm sure Travis could too.

As for Derek X, he made a smart move doing the Veto from the bottom so he could copy everyone else's top once they did the work for him. But I fail to see the logic in doing what the HoH wants with the Veto, as opposed to winning the favor of five other people. Frenchie has no more power at this point. What does winning him over get Derek?

I'm also tired of Frenchie and dad-gum this and dad-gum that. Did I say he seemed smarter than Donnie? Consider that statement retracted.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Nah, he's just white lol.

He's hot .... Ive been ogling his Instagram......

I love THE COOKOUT.  This should happen on every reality TV show season instead of the minorities always being kicked out first.  Miss me with that!

Frenchie appeared to be cool at first but he's absolutely not.  And going after Derek, what the fuck?  That sealed my hate for him..  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Not sure if you remember back to Real World Seattle but he could be the twin brother of David Burns from that season.

When they showed the flashback of French's Mustard making his "never gonna put you up" promise to the guys he entered the game with, it was a huge tip-off that this guy was going to play like he was shot out of a cannon.  If he's such a superfan, it doesn't make any sense to make immediate promises until you at least let the other players enter the game and wait to see what the first "twists" are.  He came in hotter than anyone who has ever played this game, I think.  He'd be a great person to keep around but not unless he can shut up and stop strategizing for more than a few minutes at a time.

That might be it!! I keep feeling like I was on the edge of figuring it out, since he seemed so familiar, but it wasn't coming to me. Thanks. 

• Love 3

Travis used so many surfer idioms in his last confessional (and maybe a "your boy") that I think he, in fact, may the rarest of all reality show breeds: just a regular dumb surfer.

I'm shocked Derek X. won the Veto. On Big Brother, all the Vetoes where it seems like the Alpha males wouldn't do well, the Alpha males inevitably do well. This required strategy and planning, and wasn't even a physical task, and I'm still somehow in shock. And Alyssa was second! Let's keep this trend up.

I also cannot believe someone actually used the Veto. Last season, they may as well have renamed it. "Congratulations, you just won the 'IhavedecidednottousethePowerofVeto!'"

• Love 3
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This! I keep silently hoping that he has a messy/slightly forbidden showmance that goes wrong so he can then utter the famous line "I love you and it's kiiiilinnnnn me ____ "

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

It HAS to be the messiest first week HoH ever. Week ONE Brandon!! *shakes head*

I dunno; IMHO BB19’s first HoH still tops it for messiness.  Between self-evictions / Pendants of Ass Protection / PoVs Cody Nickerson was forced to nom (or attempt to nom) roughly 1/3 of the House before he got a pair OTB that would stick.

12 hours ago, candall said:

Actually... once Frenchie pulls his luggage out the HoH door I wouldn’t be overly surprised if he becomes regarded as one of the safest HGs in the House. NOBODY is going to consider him a power player beyond his HoH tenure.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

This! I keep silently hoping that he has a messy/slightly forbidden showmance that goes wrong so he can then utter the famous line "I love you and it's kiiiilinnnnn me ____ "

KIRAAAAAAA!!!!!!

🤣🤣

• LOL 4
9 hours ago, Lamima said:

So like 5 were safe from various game things (I think?)

Seven HGs have game-related safety:

• Derek F, Azah, and Britini are HoH Frenchie's teammates, and automatically safe.

• Christian won safety in the Wildcard comp, and then won the right to save one of his teammates, which he used to make Xavier safe.

• Derek X won the Veto, and used it on Kyland.

This leaves eight potential nominees.  Of those, Frenchie promised safety to Travis (after winning the kickoff comp) and to all the women in the house (Alyssa, Claire, Hannah, Sarah Beth, Tiffany, Whitney).  The only HG he hasn't made an explicit safety promise to is Brent, and he was won over by The Champagne Fizz and has made a final 2 with Brent.

Way to go, genius.

I wonder what's the over/under on how many .gifs get made of Alyssa's wordless DR eyeroll?

I would say that Travis was foolish to trust Frenchie's promise of safety when he'd already broken his word to Alyssa, but to be fair, Travis may not have known that.  Perhaps that's on his teammates (Tiffany, Claire) for not alerting Travis that French Fry had proclaimed safety for all the women, the way that Sarah Beth had clued in Christian?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Cherry Cola said:

Not a fan of the Cookout forming due to them all being black. But others up thread worded it well. 

Kinda boring episode, but they usually are so early. I agree Frenchie is totally playing way too hard. It's so early. He needs to chill. 

Young Stallone?

• Love 1
On 7/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love THE COOKOUT.  This should happen on every reality TV show season instead of the minorities always being kicked out first.  Miss me with that!

Yea. It's happened 3 times in 23 seasons of BB. It's obviously a real problem...

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know about that but there are are other reality shows besides BB and I watch probably 60% of them.

Survivor fan? 7 out of 40 there, putting it at 17.5% of the time.

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, JayDub1987 said:

Survivor fan? 7 out of 40 there, putting it at 17.5% of the time.

I assume you are focusing on first boots instead of what I am focusing on, which is a pattern of getting rid of minorities as a whole, see the last season of Big Brother, and any season of The Bachelor/Bachelorette starring a white person.

If you don't cast many minorities at all, then of course it's going to be hard to show all first boots being minorities.  But when they only represent 5% of the cast as is, any time one of them is voted off, it makes a bigger impact than a white person being kicked out.

Frenchie tried to put up 3 minorities for elimination and was thwarted at every turn.  He basically had to be begged to put up Travis instead.  I am far from the only person who's noticed this.

Last season of Big Brother had an 8 or 10 person group that was eliminating the competition, and that group was all made up of white people.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I assume you are focusing on first boots instead of what I am focusing on, which is a pattern of getting rid of minorities as a whole, see the last season of Big Brother, and any season of The Bachelor/Bachelorette starring a white person.

If you don't cast many minorities at all, then of course it's going to be hard to show all first boots being minorities.  But when they only represent 5% of the cast as is, any time one of them is voted off, it makes a bigger impact than a white person being kicked out.

Frenchie tried to put up 3 minorities for elimination and was thwarted at every turn.  He basically had to be begged to put up Travis instead.  I am far from the only person who's noticed this.

Last season of Big Brother had an 8 or 10 person group that was eliminating the competition, and that group was all made up of white people.  

I'm literally focusing on what you said in your earlier post.

On 7/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

"Minorities always being kicked out first." That was your statement not mine.

(edited)
28 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

I'm literally focusing on what you said in your earlier post.

"Minorities always being kicked out first." That was your statement not mine.

Yes, the group of minorities always being kicked out first as a whole with a big cast of white people left at the end.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5